Newcastle May Be Favorites To Sign This Top Center-Back

The Mail have said Newcastle are one of five clubs who have offered 30 year-old Aston Villa and Dutch International Ron Vlaar a deal.

With two of our three strikers being 30 years old or over (Colo is 33 and Williamson is 31) , we would have thought Newcastle would try to bring in a number of younger central defenders this summer, but the news is we have offered Ron a deal to come to Newcastle.

ron vlaar great close-up

Ron Vlaar – 30 year-old Aston Villa free agent

With his contract running out next Tuesday we suppose the 31 times capped Dutch International will soon be announcing which club he will join, and of course Vlaar had an excellent World Cup for Holland last summer.

He’s also an experienced Premier League defender, having been at Villa for three years since joining them from Feyenoord and e’;s played for Villa 88 times with two goals.

Maybe one of the changes Newcastle will make is to have short-term strategies as well as buying younger players who will improve while at the club.

Sometimes Newcastle will need to bring in older players that can do a job for us over say over the next three years, and both short-term and long-term strategies are needed for better recruitment at the club.

It’s also still possible that Ron could sign a deal for Aston Villa and stay there, although he may want to join a club in the Premier League that doesn’t struggle with relegation every year as Villa have done these last four seasons.

Newcastle would not be that club, if that’s what he’s thinking, and Tim Sherwood seems to know what he’s doing and will make Villa stringer during the summer transfer window.

But the Daily Mail and the Birmingham Mail are both reporting that Newcastle may be the favorites to sign Vlaar,  with Southampton and Sunderland being two of the other clubs interested.

He would look a lot better in black and white stripes than red and white stripes.

Maybe we do have a chance of signing Ron?

The more I think about it the more Ron could be an excellent signing for us – and he could get the job done over the next three seasons.

What do you think?

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Pardew Oot! – CHECK

Carver & Stone Oot! – CHECK

Ashley Oot!

Wallet Oot!

Players Oot!

• Graeme

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Sell Saylor, Colo, Willo and bring in Vlar plus another experienced, but younger version. Maybe even 2 younger players who can grow into our future CB pairing.

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM

No thanks. Villa fans think he’s had a poor season.
    May have had a decent world cup which made clubs sit up and notice, But don’t see the point when he is close to Colo in form and age.
    A better option than Willo but for me that’s as far as the positives go

• Jib

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:17 PM

I think if he’s a free agent snap him up.
    He is not to be considered as part of our main transfer business though.
    Surprised Villa don’t offer him an 18 month or rolling contract to be fair.

• WWSBRD

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:17 PM

I’d take Vlaar but need more certainly

• walton1984

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:17 PM

I think everyone agrees the club needs sorted top to bottom!!!!!!!
    regardless what people say Ashley aint goin now where

1. We have a new Board 3 football men and 1 businessman
    2. New Manager
    3. Cleared the decks of evey coach we have… all gone
    So Next steps
    4. New Coaching Staff in place… which will happen anytime now…
    5. Starting addressing the football side of it Signin, Selling, assessing current Squad

Last Season only finished 30 Days ago…. players all went on holiday, International all played 2 weeks then went on holidays…. Transfers are only starting too happen now for other team…..I will judge squad on in & out transfers on 1st Sept (Yes i would like them in ASAP)

I am Currently Happy with everything this pre-season, No saying New Board, Manager, Coaches will be better but at least it has all been addressed and Changed (hopefully Fixed and improved)

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Lindisfarne,
    Why get rid of Elliot? We need 3 keepers on the books so that Woodman can be out on loan from anytime now. I don’t think we would get much better than Elliot to come and play 2nd or 3rd fiddle at the moment.

I’d prefer a younger third choice, who didn’t have to be named, but they need to have had experience of first team football at league level – the fall point for Alnwick last season.

• WWSBRD

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:20 PM

jazzyp
    From the last thread u said about Ferguson wanting 4 top strikers at Man Utd and compared us to that, I disagree mate Ferguson was fighting to win the league and 3 cups

We fight to stay in 1 league not sure we would want 3 top strikers let alone 4

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Graeme

I would agree on letting Collo go and I would suggest just using Janmaat in the centre as he has the same calm confidence and ability to bring the ball out, which is what some think we will miss if he is not a full back.

On Vlaar, he does appear to cause problems for opponents to get around except for the quicker high quality teams. Would definitely be an up grade but could the undoubted high wages be used better to finance a more athletic defender.

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Lil
    Sorry mate I may have misunderstood. We have 3 keepers on the books don’t we. So Woodman can gout on loan ??

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

I don’t know if he is still available or has signed a new bench warming deal, but a Keeper like Richard Wright would be a better option to Elliot. I do understand that NUFC is not the most attractive destination for a a 2nd choice keeper, especially as Darlow will be looking to gain experience also.

• Sir Eric

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Lindisfarne

Janmaat played quite well in CB, but I don’t like sacrificing his offensive capability by putting him in the middle. He had a good amount of assists for us by playing out wide, and I’m not confident we would be able to make up for that with the current squad.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Jazzy,
    Yes, at the minute. But Lindisfarne had him down as one who needs to be gone as a priority. I don’t see it that way personally. I wouldn’t be happy if we let Elliot go and subsequently hampered the development of Woodman and/or Woolston.

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM

WWsbrd

My point was mate if were to bring in Austin and he suffered an injury. Cisse cannot be relied upon for a full season because of his injury record.
    That leaves us in the same vulnerable position as we are now. There is no way I would put our PL status on the shoulders on Riviere. So just bringing in 1 CF would not be enough in my opinion

• WWSBRD

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Janmaat at CB? Why? We can get actual CBs to play there we don’t even have a back up RB to allow us to move Janmaat

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Lindisfarne,
    Richard Wright was on the retained list. I don’t see the need to chop and change that area unless Elliot is desperate for a move, and is causing problems at the club to force one. I doubt the club would try and bring in a replacement for him, given the other requirements for the season.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:29 PM

I forgot to put Haidara on the list of players that need to prove themselves. I just hope all the attention on a marquee striker has not taken the focus away from sorting out the defence.

• Jib

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:30 PM

This is Anderlecht’s own website
    They are saying we have offered the most for Mitrovic

Why it is in German and not French or Dutch I have no idea

• WWSBRD

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:30 PM

jazzyp
    Also have Perez mate, de Jong and Armstrong club would have 6 who can play up top if they bring in another ST

• Shaker Shakrah

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Everything I read !!! RUBBISHHHHHHHH these days .

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Lil

Fair point bud !!. I think Darlow will prove to be a better keeper in the long run to Elliott, Which will give Woodman time progress through the ranks.
    I was surprised Alnwick was not given a rolling 1-2 year contract than being dumped as he was

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

OK – I will submit there is not a desperate need to replace Elliot but I take it you agree with Gouffran, Obertan, Willo, S.Taylor, Ferguson?

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Jib

It’s possible the Waloons and the Flems (?) use German as a common language. Just a theory. I have no idea why they would do that.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Jib,
    I think that is a fan site, similar to this blog or .com.

This is the official site, http://www.rsca.be/en and there are no mentions of it on there. Is Praet still with Anderlecht? He is another very good youngster, and could be one to grow into our playmaker role.

• Jib

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Lilo
    Young Woodman is going to Oxford United

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM

WWsbrd

As much as I rave about Siem de jong. He as of yet has to prove his fitness.
    Perez again will be a cracking player I grant you that, but would not rely on him to to score a vast amount of goals to keep us up.
    If we were to sign the likes of Mitrovic and Austin who are both natural goal scorers, This would guarantee us around 30 goals per season. I don’t see Riviere…..Perez and Arma scoring that between em pal

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Lindisfarne,
    Yeah, I’d add Marveaux to that list as well. Thing is, I can’t see people coming in for them, or matching their current earnings, so I think we are more likely to see Tiote, Cisse, Sissoko depart, and maybe a few released on free’s, or loaned out towards the end of the window.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Jib,
    Is that a done deal? I’d seen a couple of things linking him. Good, ideally him and Arma, plus Satka, Sterry and any other 17/18 year old too good for academy but not first team ready can have deals arranged ASAP, so they can get pre season in with their new team mates, and hit the ground running.

• WWSBRD

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM

jazzyp
    It’s how the club will see it mate, no way we are bringing in more than 1 striker if Cisse is staying…might not even bring in 1

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Sir Eric

It is not a strong expectation especially if new C. defenders are brought in, but I do think Janmaat & Collo have similar stature both physical and in the squad (both not the best at heading also). Rather than losing his abilities as a full back, I would say gain his distribution and ability to drive forward in the middle. It then allows our younger defenders to start getting games at right back, but it is a balance, a new right sided CD or fullback is a definite need plus the same on the left.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Hasn’t he been injured alot last season?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Any development on the coaching front?

…the club is silent as always.

• Jib

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Lilo
    I should of course said Anderlecht approved blog
    The Oxfordshire press are saying so
    They aren’t as coy about news as NUFC
    Does Freddy still live with his folks cos with his dad at CP Oxford is a good move

• Lindisfarne

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

I am sure I have read someone say that NUFC would be better paying those players contracts off and using the space to bring new players in. Save on the hassle of having them hanging around or time pursuing a loan for them. The case of 1 good match in 10 for Obertan is diabolical and he is obviously not a good player.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:45 PM

TFL..it’s betting mate 😉

…they are in it for the money! Ignore it!

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:45 PM

WWSbrd

You could be well right mate. If we don’t bring in another recognised forward and stay with what we currently have, Then I only see a fight with relegation again. And I don’t believe Mashley wants that again especially with the vast amount of money on offer through tv rights alone

• WWSBRD

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM

jazzyp
    Tbf before Pardew left we weren’t fighting relegation, left the club without a manager for half the season is why we ended up so far down

I don’t think there will be as big of a change as what people want

• WWSBRD