Newcastle After English International Winger

The Star is reporting today that Newcastle are interested in West Ham’s Stewart Downing,  who turns 31 next month, and it’s hard to believe that the former Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Liverpool player would be a target of Newcastle’s this summer.

stewart downing

Stewart Downing – Newcastle interested

Sunderland are also said to be interested in the player,  and we suppose there could be a Newcastle interest because Stewart was given his debut by Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren in April 2002 in a Premier League game away at Ipswich Town.

Steve McClaren was at Middlesbrough from 2001 through 2006.

New West Ham boss Slaven Bilic is having a clear-out of players this summer, and Stuart is one of the players  who has been told to look for a new club, and he still has two years left on his contract in with the east London club.

Newcastle are after more English players these days, and maybe McClaren thinks he can again get the best out of the 35 times capped English International.

The news was first reported in the Telegraph a day or two ago, and Stewart would cost around £5M – and we suppose we’d get a decent player with a lot of experience for that money.

While at West Ham for the last two seasons he played 79 times with 7 goals and 11 assists,  and while at Middlesbrough he played 226 times with 21 goals and 31 assist in seven seasons before he left for Aston Villa in 2009 for £12M.

Stewart was one of the many good players who have come through the famed Middlesbrough Youth Academy.

But we’d still be surprised if Newcastle are really interested in the 30 year-old.

What do you think?

• Jib

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM

He could do a job for a season or so.

It may well be that Supermac , after many sessions with the current squad , and a positive pre-season , tells the club that there is not the crisis that everyone thought.
    Waiting to see what the situation is by Xmas may be the way forward.
    Rather than just splashing the cash for the sake of appeasing some loud mouthed fans who you could never please no matter what was done .

• will die for the toon army

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I told u. No one knows wats going on at NUFC. Newspaper laziness.

• NOVA2967

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM

NUFC want CR7

• NOVA2967

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:44 AM

NUFC want Messi

• NOVA2967

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:44 AM

NUFC want Bruce Arena

• Jib

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:49 AM

I’m ashamed to say I had to look up CR7 (Ronaldo) and Bruce Arena (some no mark Yank soccerrrrr player )
    Nova 2967 is clearly a schoolkid in the USA

• joeinthecheapseats

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Think some people need to wise up
    The squad last year was nowhere near good enough and if it wasn’t for that six game run we would have been in the championship
    Downing played well for West ham in a central midfield position but he’s 31 and surely priorities should be to buy two central defenders a left back and two centre forwards in this window

• Jib

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM

NOVA2967
    Don’t worry Ronaldo and Messi will play for LA Galaxy when they are in their 50’s

• Bambams

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Let’s face it we have no idea and the press have no idea who we are going to sign.
    Therefore we get linked with everyone so that eventually when we make a signing they can say they got it right. By way of law of averages!

• Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:53 AM

How about signing Brandon Jamison IV and Gyasi Zardes?

I think Ed does not have any idea how many people we are linked to.

• Bambams

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM

How do you stop these ‘app of the day pop ups ‘
    Puts me off coming on this site !!!

• croftus5678

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM

i was hoping it wasnt going to come to the “signing avg players to keep us in the prem” but it looks like it has !

and it looks like a fair few will accept the signing and be happy rather than no signing at all !

he’s a crafty one is that ashley i guess its another -1 st like last year this season.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM

nut meg …statistically there’s a chance of anything!

…there’s also a chance I might become the next HC at Newcastle!

• Jib

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM

The frightening thing is , if Carver had just set his teams up to be super defensive we would have got lots of draws hence no danger of relegation and we be talking about him taking a squad to the USA.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Downing?…. well, not a wholey exciting prospect, but not the worst player to have as one of our home-grown quota (if the report has any truth). For me he would kind of fill Jonas’ boots as a more experienced utility MF. Not totally against it, but like many keep saying, CBs and CFs aee the priority

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Having said that,i would rather have just kept Jonas

• Rotonda heights

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM

what is the deal about buying english / british players? I just don’t get it. Barton, butt, owen, saylor, duff , given etc took us down before.

I was quite excited (well kidding myself) about Abdennour, Matip, the Ajax CB, Mitrovic, Ginkel, Winaldjum, Das Bost etc etc, but going dow the list to 3rd/4th choices like a 31 year old downing and perma crock carrol really doesn’t get the pulses racing.

Ash treating people like s–t is really coming home to roost.

• reilly

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM

not a chance,downings on massive wages at west ham.
    newcastle dont pay big wages.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM

No one has an idea. I think we r making a signing in 2 weeks time when Mcclaren sees e team train

I think our team is good but we jst luck a plan B we dont have many good squard players. I think injuries have cost us fron the time we finished 5th. I remember that season we got injuries of S. Taylor and Toite (2 weeks). And we had replacements in Williamson and Guthrie.

• expatmag

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM

The press are really getting desperate, arent they?

I mean……Downing……lol
    Carroll……lmao

They know about as much as we do and that is a big fat zero

• Tsunki

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Even if it just stops any idea of it. We shouldn’t be seeing any Stu Downing articles. Not ever.

• Tsunki

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM

I can see

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Rotonda

Hopefully SM is just trying to cover the HG quota for after we offload Willo, fergie and aby other below standard lumps.

• Tsunki

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM

I can SEE! Lol. Posted that before I finished. 🙂

I can see the Steve M connection him giving the useless lump his England chance I believe, mclaren rated him but surely not now.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Any*

• nut meg

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Jesper
    I very much doubt you would ever be a HC at NUFC . More chance of SM walking IMHO!

• will die for the toon army

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Why waste money on scounting wen we dont buy the players.

NUFC is no longer a massive club we might have e structure and fans but we have been below per in the last 8 weeks took me long believe it but now I get it. If we r to get back to our glory days we have to spend big and turn heads. Mike isnt going to do that. We have to take things slow. Even if I dont get e signings but jst get players slightly better than e ones wehave we move on.

Leister

• will die for the toon army

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Why waste money on scounting wen we dont buy the players.

• PJR09

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Nowt news day so – does anyone know why live matches info has not been released yet after this —Broadcast selection announcement dates by BT Sport and Sky Sports: August & September matches: on or before June 24th October & November matches: July 6th

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:14 AM

nut meg…there’s still a chance 😉

*To be honest with you if you set your sight on McClaren leaving because you think the club has screwed him over I do think you are mistaken!

• Jib

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM

It being the last Sunday before the window opens I expected a real flurry of transfer stories.
    It is eerily quiet , the calm before the storm perhaps ?

This is it really

• headtheball

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Jib/Jeff/Jane @1

Loud mouthed fans? Ha! Ha!

• nut meg

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Jesper
    In your case I’d say NO chance, but that’s only my opinion.I haven’t set my sights on SM leaving,although he will eventually in time to come.I only said it was a possibility he could walk!

• will die for the toon army

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:22 AM

We r targeting players that r also wanted by the big clubs who r far richer than us. Then we expect to get miracles and sign them. Crazy…

We shld concentrate on our league and mediocre players and we build from there. We have never been a rich club all we did was get loans and buy crap and sell it cheap. Losses only. I see where pound to pound works.
    Carroll Cabaye Debuchy
    but we made a loss on
    Maurvuex Hatem Mbiwa Santon. But I still believe if we had a better manager we wld still have those players.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Pardew was a disappointment. We had a great team in his era I really dont know wat happenedto him we wld dominated e league.
    Mbiwa Hatem Marvueex Sisoko Cabaye Tiote Remy Debuchy Ba Cisse. These were really good players.

All Pardewed

• musomag

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM

All those great and gifted players were ‘trained’ by JC during Pardews reign. Correct? Makes a lot of sense.