The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ian Cathro Incredibly Excited About Joining Newcastle

7:52 am, Monday, June 29th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Newcastle had better announce their coaching staff pretty quickly, because of the news last night that Paul Simpson has left Derby County – according to Derby – effective July 1st which is Wednesday – and today Ian Cathro has talked to the Sun about joining Newcastle United as a coach, even through nothing has been officially announced yet.

ian cathro valencia

Ian Cathro – incredibly excited about joining Newcastle

We would think something must come today officially from Newcastle, especially since pre-season training starts up on Wednesday.

This is what Ian has said in the Sun:

“Joining Newcastle is something that can only prepare me even better for when the time comes to become a manager/head coach.

“I am incredibly excited by it and I just want to help out in any way I can. I wanted the challenge of working in a different league and English football is very different from Spanish football.”

“I am also looking forward to working at a club which genuinely wants to push itself and grow, to get back to a real level of competition.”

“Steve McClaren has worked abroad himself and he is an incredibly experienced coach and manager, an impressive man generally – I know I will learn a lot from him.”

That’s a good piece about the club wanting to push itself.

With the players back on Wednesday you would expect the coaching team to be working together now – to get some training stuff in place.

You cannot accuse Newcastle of being ahead of the game though.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Jun 29, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Signings speak louder than words…

Come on Toon get some players in !!

• 2 Average_Contents // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:02 AM

So they’ve either sold him a dud as they’ve done in the past when recruiting players ie sdj mentioning champions league when he first joined ably backed by the kings mutterings or they mean it.

The evidence so far points to the former.

They’ve also admitted to cathro that they haven’t been competing by him stating they want to get back to a real level of competition.

Something we all knew (apart from the odd deluded fool like jeff) anyway but still, it’s pathetic isn’t it.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:05 AM

I don’t know off the top of my head who is assisting them (I think nobody is Rogers assistant at the moment because Pasco was peddled at the end of the season though), but I’d imagine it will have been announced in local media, and confirmed by the club, so their fans will know the answer.

On Sissoko, I don’t see it. Not sure Van Ginkel is the answer mind, but to me Sissoko hasn’t shown any attributes to make him a good box to box. As a central midfielder he would be behind Colback, Tiote, De Jong. Maybe about level with Abeid and Anita. He is a poor passer, he can’t tackle – he attempted less tackles last season then Cabella completed according to the stats given by Squawka (not sure their source).

If we received a bid of £10million+ and were looking at bringing in a Will Hughes or Wignaldum (sp?) then I would happily let him go.

• 4 sparky55 // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Cathro has just been ashleyed as well if he believes that sh!te

• 5 kakaobi // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:13 AM

I’m glad some fcukers excited about him joining and the season ahead I’m certainly not

• 6 JamesToon // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Quite excited about Cathro, hopefully he can push McClaren more into playing attacking football. Apparently he does a lot of work on ball retention and pressing. I reckon charnley has said to him that he will eventually become mcclarens successor at some point in time, he certainly looks like he’s got a lot of potential

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Expat…that wad not my issue with Jeff and I think you know that!

Firebug…I agree the deal with McClaren was in place long before June 10th which makes the non existing coaching staff (at least the announcement) a bigger fiasco!

• 8 Toonfan8 // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I think we will be much better this season, it looks like very good bunch of coaches is together in team. Steve McClaren is experienced and I believe, he will be succesful here. We just have to sign some good players now, CB,ST and playmaker are must…and then winger and maybee another CB….5 players will be enough, but they have to be real quality, no just numbers

• 9 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 8:21 AM

We all know who the WUMs are?

The trick us how you deal with them without making yourself look a prat.

• 10 Sav // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Seems like a very ambitious young bloke. Lets hope it rubs off on the rest of the dossers.

previous post: McClaren’s Staff Taking Shape – Announcement Expected