Ian Cathro Ready To Build Newcastle Into Top Team

We got very close to 100% proof that Ian Cathro will indeed be part of Steve McClaren’s coaching staff that will be getting together this week to prepare for the players arriving back at Newcastle for the start of pre-season training.

And it seems like Steve had brought off a bit of a coup for the 28 year-old Scottish coach, who is extremely well though of and his interview in the Sun today has said that Newcastle indeed are a club that now wants to push itself once again after eight years of almost being asleep under Mike Ashley.

ian cathro image-1-465468107

Ian Cathro – wants to help build Newcastle into top team

It’s also clear from Ian’s words that he is very impressed with Steve McClaren who seems to get the respect of an awful lot of people in football.

This again is Ian’s interview today:

“Joining Newcastle is something that can only prepare me even better for when the time comes to become a manager/head coach.¨

“I am incredibly excited by it and I just want to help out in any way I can. I wanted the challenge of working in a different league and English football is very different from Spanish football.”

“I am also looking forward to working at a club which genuinely wants to push itself and grow, to get back to a real level of competition.”

“Steve McClaren has worked abroad himself and he is an incredibly experienced coach and manager, an impressive man generally – I know I will learn a lot from him.”

Ian also talked about his philosophy of coaching in general,  and this is what he said in a previous interview this year:

“You project forward to the types of job you want to do. I want to fill a stadium and make people excited about coming, feeling that as an enjoyable thing to watch and embrace.”

¨That’s whilst being able to do something of significance at a club that leaves a structure and a system,  so that it continues to profit from beyond my period of time.”

“That’s the types of jobs that are more appealing and more natural to me. You’re paid a lot of money,  football gives you a lot of good things, and it’s the club’s position in society that gives you that.¨

¨It’s important that the club gets its value from you.”

Those are really good words from one who is still young to be in the coaching business.

It will be good when we get to see Ian’s first interview after he becomes a coach at Newcastle,  and we’re still not sure whether Ian or Paul Simpson will be Steve McClaren’s number two at the club.

After having poor coaching this year with John Carver and Steve Stone, it looks like Newcastle will have a (very) strong coaching squad this season, who hopefully can get the very best out of the playing squad we have – helped by up to six new players coming in.

So yes – we hope the playing staff is as good as the coaching staff seems to be.

That sounds good.

• optimistic prime

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Perfect timing for my repost

Hibbit

You around?

Yesterday or day before I beleive you said Schteeve and his coaching team where booked into a hotel near you.

Do you know the names of the others booked in?

Thanks in advance

• welshgeordie9

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Don’t get me wrong i want him to do well, but if he’s that good as a coach then why aren’t the top teams in our league looking at him.

• spitfire_

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:38 PM

And the team will be build around Williamson, Colo, Riviere, Obertan and Sammy.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Looks like it’s not just Charlie Austin that we are buying from QPR
    Mauricio Isla the Chilean wingback , as well , may be coming (another wingback!) according to calciomercato (they were the only website to forecast Janmaat last Summer )

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Welsh

I think the bigger teams want more proven experience from their coaches. Still think he is worth the risk, though. Fingers crossed.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Mark,

I haven’t been commenting on him because I know absolutely nothing about him.

Is there a detailed list of his career and achievements somewhere I’ve somehow missed?

Everybody seems to be the new Beatles on here at the moment.

• expatmag

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM

JIB

I believe we were allegedly interested in him this time last season as well but we got Janmaat instead. I cant see why we would go for him now. Probably just more press regurgitation.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM

For example, what is Ed’s source material for this paragraph?

“Ian isn’t just a good coach but a good man – and he certainly has good leadership and man-management skills which is so important in coaching when you are trying to get the very best of the players you have.”

Is he also kind to puppies?

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:51 PM

BandBs

All i have read is that he was some spanish blokes assistant at rio ave (portugal) and then valencia.
    He is supposed to be a good man manager, and is used to beong involved in an attacking style of football. The feeling i get from all this is that he will work well with Shteve.

Beyond that, i dont think he has a list of achievements worth singing about, it’s more a raw potential thing. Like i say fingers crossed the gamble wotks out for us.

• expatmag

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Band

Apparently he has a good rep for one so young and guided by the experience of McLaren, he might turn out to be something similar to the SBR/Mourinho relationship in years to come.

Well, we can only dream…….lol

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Mark

Is McClaren particularly associated with an attacking style of football?

Cathro is “supposed” to be a lot of things, it appears.

Perhaps he’s a fitting first antagonist for Rubbish Punctuation Girl?

• Toonfan8

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Give this new group of coaches a chance, they cant be worse than J. Carvers group. Maybee we will start to play some good football. We need to work hard on the training pitch, pressing, passing, set pieces (both offensive and defensive). We were very bad in all this aspects of the game. I hope now it will be sorted

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM

would be nice if he could point out some decent underrated spanish players to carr or charnley .it would certainly make a change from overrated french players from a terrible standard league.

• Vask

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM

RPG – I understand your reservations but it ‘seems’ that he has been focussed on progressive coaching as a career pursuit. To get from Dundee to Valencia, surely he has impressed other professional coaches.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Expat/Mark

He comes with some recommendations about his potential, though I do rather cynically wonder if “potential revolutionary coach” figured above “cheap” in the recruitment guidelines.

I imagine fingers were also crossed that Chucky was a gamble that would pay off.

Take him out of the up-coming coaching equation and the whole lot looks rather dull.

So he offers a sliver of colour through the grey.

I hope, rather than believe, it is an inspired choice. But giving people a fair crack of the whip is also about not piling all our hopes and expectations onto their shoulders.

In advance of all the palm-frond waving to come.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM

BandB

Recently, SM has favoured a 433 attacking formation. Probably a result of his spells at Twente in Holland. Doesn’t always work but i would think it would suit our current players.

• thevirus

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM

This can only be achieved if he is given good players to coach which would mean Ashley putting his hand in his pockets on a regular basis ( struggling to imagine this happening somehow) but I’m willing to be patient with him

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:08 PM

BandB

Rubbish Punctuation Girl vs Supposéd Man.

Quick, get Speilberg on the phone!!! 😀

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Vask,

My fear is that he will be greeted like the Messiah tomorrow, and people will forget in the euphoria that he can only be a small part of the answer.

BTW… I like RPG. It gives my super-hero an explosive edge it previously lacked.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Mark

I think it is Spellberg you need on the phone today 🙂

• Spellcheck

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:14 PM

I first posted on this great once sensible blog a couple of tears ago. The likes of Indian ( first ) Beattie., where are they now. More importantly apologises fir yday, hangover Was beating my usually normal sensible approach to the blog.

• Spellcheck

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Poor poor spellcheck, Work properly or the snipers will have you.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Rubbish Punctuation where it’s at today Spellcheck.

And we’re sniping with rocket-propelled grenades.

Welcome back….I hope you’d earned your hangover.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Right.
    I’m off.
    Fire away peeps!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:27 PM

BandB

Yeah i am typing to fast.

Take care, speak later probably.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Mark…sounds like an odd diet.

• jayphoto

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Newcastles 15m bid (euros) for abdennour rejected as club want 20m! Newcastle bidding exactly 25% below the asking price then despite massive interest from other clubs… that’s so newcastle

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Ibiza

That took me a while…. but ‘fast’ as in ‘not eating’ i assume? 😀

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Jfa, with a face like a chimpanzee’s arse.

• geordiesteve520

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Jay, when you go an buy a car or house, do you immediately give them the asking price? No-one wants to pay full whack and no-one wants to sell cheap, so logic suggests a low opening offer with the idea of upping to meet on common ground…now if only our management had common sense…

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Spellcheck,

I miss Beattie myself.
    But then he went right off supporters and club Ruddy-style and stopped posting.
    He dropped in for a bit of mischievous trolling from time to time.
    He was living in Burnley I think.
    We seem to have had a few recent posters from Burnley.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Lol, stupid fans thinking we could actually sign the likes of Abdennour and Co. for the money there club wants. Setting yourselves up for disappointment, championship players are where it’s at. Because that’s where we are heading.

• jayphoto

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Just a side note but Newcastle apparently bid for Abdennour when he was at Toulouse AND Thauvin when he was at bastia just 18months ago… Could have had both for 10m…. Now if rumours are correct the club might have to fork out close to £30m for them!
    The fact that Carr obviously identified both players seasons ago and the club refused to act on it serves them right in my opinion for penny pinching so greatly

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM

erm…. YoungMagpie are you a wum too?

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM

BandB

Sorry Sherlock but I’m not the proclaimed Beattie!

Does it really matter that much who I am?

• jayphoto

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM

@geordiesteve – If I desperately wanted said house and knew other bidders were going to offer the asking price then I would!
    Abdennour will get snatched up. Hes been immense in france for 3 seasons and was one of the best defenders in the champions league last year. If they want £15m (20m E) for him his probably worth it considering the market value ie: Mangala costing 32m,

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM

TFL

Nope, I’m not a wum(what is that). But yes, but no. Il tell you when I know what one is!!!

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I don’t think you said you were.

You are the blog Jack the Ripper aren’t you?

Or is it the Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town……

Someone really, really, scary, anyway….

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM

YoungMagpie
    a wum is a wind up merchant.
    You sound very different to how you usually talk and you are mocking JFA