The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Ian Cathro Ready To Build Newcastle Into Top Team

1:29 pm, Monday, June 29th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 57 Comments

We got very close to 100% proof that Ian Cathro will indeed be part of Steve McClaren’s coaching staff that will be getting together this week to prepare for the players arriving back at Newcastle for the start of pre-season training.

And it seems like Steve had brought off a bit of a coup for the 28 year-old Scottish coach, who is extremely well though of and his interview in the Sun today has said that Newcastle indeed are a club that now wants to push itself once again after eight years of almost being asleep under Mike Ashley.

ian cathro image-1-465468107

Ian Cathro – wants to help build Newcastle into top team

It’s also clear from Ian’s words that he is very impressed with Steve McClaren who seems to get the respect of an awful lot of people in football.

This again is Ian’s interview today:

“Joining Newcastle is something that can only prepare me even better for when the time comes to become a manager/head coach.¨

“I am incredibly excited by it and I just want to help out in any way I can. I wanted the challenge of working in a different league and English football is very different from Spanish football.”

“I am also looking forward to working at a club which genuinely wants to push itself and grow, to get back to a real level of competition.”

“Steve McClaren has worked abroad himself and he is an incredibly experienced coach and manager, an impressive man generally – I know I will learn a lot from him.”

Ian also talked about his philosophy of coaching in general,  and this is what he said in a previous interview this year:

“You project forward to the types of job you want to do. I want to fill a stadium and make people excited about coming, feeling that as an enjoyable thing to watch and embrace.”

¨That’s whilst being able to do something of significance at a club that leaves a structure and a system,  so that it continues to profit from beyond my period of time.”

“That’s the types of jobs that are more appealing and more natural to me. You’re paid a lot of money,  football gives you a lot of good things, and it’s the club’s position in society that gives you that.¨

¨It’s important that the club gets its value from you.”

Those are really good words from one who is still young to be in the coaching business.

It will be good when we get to see Ian’s first interview after he becomes a coach at Newcastle,  and we’re still not sure whether Ian or Paul Simpson will be Steve McClaren’s number two at the club.

After having poor coaching this year with John Carver and Steve Stone, it looks like Newcastle will have a (very) strong coaching squad this season, who hopefully can get the very best out of the playing squad we have – helped by up to six new players coming in.

So yes – we hope the playing staff is as good as the coaching staff seems to be.

That sounds good.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

57 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Perfect timing for my repost

Hibbit

You around?

Yesterday or day before I beleive you said Schteeve and his coaching team where booked into a hotel near you.

Do you know the names of the others booked in?

Thanks in advance

• 2 welshgeordie9 // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Don’t get me wrong i want him to do well, but if he’s that good as a coach then why aren’t the top teams in our league looking at him.

• 3 spitfire_ // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:38 PM

And the team will be build around Williamson, Colo, Riviere, Obertan and Sammy.

• 4 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Looks like it’s not just Charlie Austin that we are buying from QPR
    Mauricio Isla the Chilean wingback , as well , may be coming (another wingback!) according to calciomercato (they were the only website to forecast Janmaat last Summer )

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Welsh

I think the bigger teams want more proven experience from their coaches. Still think he is worth the risk, though. Fingers crossed.

• 6 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Mark,

I haven’t been commenting on him because I know absolutely nothing about him.

Is there a detailed list of his career and achievements somewhere I’ve somehow missed?

Everybody seems to be the new Beatles on here at the moment.

• 7 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM

JIB

I believe we were allegedly interested in him this time last season as well but we got Janmaat instead. I cant see why we would go for him now. Probably just more press regurgitation.

• 8 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM

For example, what is Ed’s source material for this paragraph?

“Ian isn’t just a good coach but a good man – and he certainly has good leadership and man-management skills which is so important in coaching when you are trying to get the very best of the players you have.”

Is he also kind to puppies?

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:51 PM

BandBs

All i have read is that he was some spanish blokes assistant at rio ave (portugal) and then valencia.
    He is supposed to be a good man manager, and is used to beong involved in an attacking style of football. The feeling i get from all this is that he will work well with Shteve.

Beyond that, i dont think he has a list of achievements worth singing about, it’s more a raw potential thing. Like i say fingers crossed the gamble wotks out for us.

• 10 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Band

Apparently he has a good rep for one so young and guided by the experience of McLaren, he might turn out to be something similar to the SBR/Mourinho relationship in years to come.

Well, we can only dream…….lol

• 11 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Mark

Is McClaren particularly associated with an attacking style of football?

Cathro is “supposed” to be a lot of things, it appears.

Perhaps he’s a fitting first antagonist for Rubbish Punctuation Girl?

• 12 Toonfan8 // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Give this new group of coaches a chance, they cant be worse than J. Carvers group. Maybee we will start to play some good football. We need to work hard on the training pitch, pressing, passing, set pieces (both offensive and defensive). We were very bad in all this aspects of the game. I hope now it will be sorted

• 13 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM

would be nice if he could point out some decent underrated spanish players to carr or charnley .it would certainly make a change from overrated french players from a terrible standard league.

• 14 Vask // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:00 PM

RPG – I understand your reservations but it ‘seems’ that he has been focussed on progressive coaching as a career pursuit. To get from Dundee to Valencia, surely he has impressed other professional coaches.

• 15 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Expat/Mark

He comes with some recommendations about his potential, though I do rather cynically wonder if “potential revolutionary coach” figured above “cheap” in the recruitment guidelines.

I imagine fingers were also crossed that Chucky was a gamble that would pay off.

Take him out of the up-coming coaching equation and the whole lot looks rather dull.

So he offers a sliver of colour through the grey.

I hope, rather than believe, it is an inspired choice. But giving people a fair crack of the whip is also about not piling all our hopes and expectations onto their shoulders.

In advance of all the palm-frond waving to come.

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM

BandB

Recently, SM has favoured a 433 attacking formation. Probably a result of his spells at Twente in Holland. Doesn’t always work but i would think it would suit our current players.

• 17 thevirus // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:06 PM

This can only be achieved if he is given good players to coach which would mean Ashley putting his hand in his pockets on a regular basis ( struggling to imagine this happening somehow) but I’m willing to be patient with him

• 18 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:08 PM

BandB

Rubbish Punctuation Girl vs Supposéd Man.

Quick, get Speilberg on the phone!!! 😀

• 19 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Vask,

My fear is that he will be greeted like the Messiah tomorrow, and people will forget in the euphoria that he can only be a small part of the answer.

BTW… I like RPG. It gives my super-hero an explosive edge it previously lacked.

• 20 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Mark

I think it is Spellberg you need on the phone today 🙂

• 21 Spellcheck // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:14 PM

I first posted on this great once sensible blog a couple of tears ago. The likes of Indian ( first ) Beattie., where are they now. More importantly apologises fir yday, hangover Was beating my usually normal sensible approach to the blog.

• 22 Spellcheck // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Poor poor spellcheck, Work properly or the snipers will have you.

• 23 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Rubbish Punctuation where it’s at today Spellcheck.

And we’re sniping with rocket-propelled grenades.

Welcome back….I hope you’d earned your hangover.

• 24 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Right.
    I’m off.
    Fire away peeps!

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:27 PM

BandB

Yeah i am typing to fast.

Take care, speak later probably.

• 26 Ibizatoon // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Mark…sounds like an odd diet.

• 27 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Newcastles 15m bid (euros) for abdennour rejected as club want 20m! Newcastle bidding exactly 25% below the asking price then despite massive interest from other clubs… that’s so newcastle

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Ibiza

That took me a while…. but ‘fast’ as in ‘not eating’ i assume? 😀

• 29 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:33 PM

another bites the dust

• 30 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Jfa, with a face like a chimpanzee’s arse.

• 31 geordiesteve520 // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Jay, when you go an buy a car or house, do you immediately give them the asking price? No-one wants to pay full whack and no-one wants to sell cheap, so logic suggests a low opening offer with the idea of upping to meet on common ground…now if only our management had common sense…

• 32 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Spellcheck,

I miss Beattie myself.
    But then he went right off supporters and club Ruddy-style and stopped posting.
    He dropped in for a bit of mischievous trolling from time to time.
    He was living in Burnley I think.
    We seem to have had a few recent posters from Burnley.

• 33 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Lol, stupid fans thinking we could actually sign the likes of Abdennour and Co. for the money there club wants. Setting yourselves up for disappointment, championship players are where it’s at. Because that’s where we are heading.

• 34 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Just a side note but Newcastle apparently bid for Abdennour when he was at Toulouse AND Thauvin when he was at bastia just 18months ago… Could have had both for 10m…. Now if rumours are correct the club might have to fork out close to £30m for them!
    The fact that Carr obviously identified both players seasons ago and the club refused to act on it serves them right in my opinion for penny pinching so greatly

• 35 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM

erm…. YoungMagpie are you a wum too?

• 36 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM

BandB

Sorry Sherlock but I’m not the proclaimed Beattie!

Does it really matter that much who I am?

• 37 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM

@geordiesteve – If I desperately wanted said house and knew other bidders were going to offer the asking price then I would!
    Abdennour will get snatched up. Hes been immense in france for 3 seasons and was one of the best defenders in the champions league last year. If they want £15m (20m E) for him his probably worth it considering the market value ie: Mangala costing 32m,

• 38 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM

TFL

Nope, I’m not a wum(what is that). But yes, but no. Il tell you when I know what one is!!!

• 39 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I don’t think you said you were.

You are the blog Jack the Ripper aren’t you?

Or is it the Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town……

Someone really, really, scary, anyway….

• 40 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM

YoungMagpie
    a wum is a wind up merchant.
    You sound very different to how you usually talk and you are mocking JFA

• 41 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:47 PM

TFL

Even though they have somehow managed to get the same pattern on the mobile site, that is not the original youngmagpiefromburnley. Either that or he has hacked the account. It’s clearly the same troll from the weekend.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Mark…I assumed thats what you meant? Or was it typing too fast? That might make more sense 🙂

Now, can we stop this general lack of respect for the English language? Lovely.

Now, quick proof read…any mistakes… Seems okay…what the hell, I’m in good company, what’s the worst that could happen?

• 43 nut meg // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM

interesting …..season tickets article from the mag.

• 44 Vask // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM

RPG – There does seem to be an apparent ‘messaiah culture’ within our fan base which can sometimes be to the detriment of the clubs success/progress.

I like the sound of him. He talks a good game but he is, like you say, a mere component of the holistic being that is a football club. We can hope that the noises made about him have a foundation in truth and that he can influence the club positively.

• 45 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Can someone please explain what is going on?
    is it wum/troll day today?

• 46 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM

This is what we were talking about earlier. Enjoy.

• 47 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM

• 48 Spellcheck // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:50 PM

I wish I was the phantom raspberry blower. I could live with that. Too many conspiracies and judges on here. Just allow Ed to be judge & jury. ????

• 49 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:52 PM

jayphoto ncle agreed adeal with bastia for thauvin for 2 .5 mill with him being loaned for the rest of the season back . he turned it down saying he did not want to leavethe country. he signed for lille and then refused to play for them and then went to marseille .not nufc fault. i would be quite happy if we dont sign any more french players.

• 50 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Tsunki,

Well, no-one can say we brought it on ourselves by not talking about football. The thread was respectfully right on topic when it started.

• 51 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:53 PM

So am I correct in Saying YoungMagpie has been hacked and spellcheck is a wum?

• 52 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Right, I’m not a wum. (just searched it up)

This was just an experiment, on my short time on here I have come to realise, quickly, that the wum’s on here are the ones most commonly replied too!

I will spend some time on here, maybe sometimes most of the day with decent football discussion(at least I would hope) yet it is almost always ignored, I try with discussion further but I get the same result. I understand that there are friendships on here but half the time I see them only respond to each other. I will get over this and it doesn’t affect my life at all it just annoys me that I put the time in too offer discussion on NUFC( WHICH THIS BLOG IS ABOUT) yet nothing. Then people who troll and wums get all the time of day, yet they contribute nothing.

I don’t expect replies all the time, but I expect my stuff to be replied to instead of a wum being replied too. If that makes sense!

Sorry JFA by the way, pretending to be a wum was tough and that sentence was the most common thing I saw on here.

• 53 Spellcheck // Jun 29, 2015 at 2:55 PM

I ain’t no wum. Get a grip.

• 54 toonincheek // Jun 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Speelcheck –
    Double negative – subtle way to hide the truth?

• 55 lesh // Jun 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM

I like Cathro’s language – he sounds just like the great man himself – John Carver!

• 56 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Looks like it’s not just Charlie Austin that we are buying from QPR

• 57 Sav // Jun 30, 2015 at 1:53 AM

Cathro sounds like a breath of fresh air and hasn’t yet picked up the cliche-ridden baloney we’re used to. Don’t know anything about him except what has been written in the last few days but seems like a good signing. On the other hand, we wouldn’t be discussing a novice coach if we had actually signed a player yet. I give Cathro 6 months before Mashley and his chinless sidekick drain the youthful enthusiasm out of him like a butchered chicken.

previous post: Newcastle Ponder Second Bid For Top Target