Newcastle Ponder Second Bid For Top Target

If the news is to be believed then Newcastle have already bid €15M (£10.6M) for Marseilles French winger Florian Thauvin, who has been a long term target of Newcastle’s over the last three years, with Graham Carr really liking the player.

But there is news today in the Chronicle today that Newcastle will need to go higher than £10.6M to get their man by another £3.4M.

The news is that Marseilles want around £14M before they will sell.

Florian THAUVIN -8688

Florian Thauvin of Marseilles

We’ve said it before already this summer that Newcastle must get rid of their miserly ways if they want to sell good players in the transfer market.

We are not saying we should be throwing money away on daft deals, but what we don’t want to see Newcastle do is to hold out to try to get a better deal by say £1M – which the club has done too many times in the past.

We’ve missed out on targets by being far too frugal.

However, £3.4M is not loose change either, so maybe we go half way between – say around £12.3M would be a good second bid by Newcastle.

One problem Marseilles have is that they are concerned about a mass exit of their good players from the club, with free agents Andre Ayew (Swansea) and Andre-Pierre Gignac (Tigres in Mexico) having already left.

And there was news a few days ago that West Ham had been successful in their bid to sign Dimitri Payet for £10.6M from the south of France club.

If Newcastle continue their transfer dealing ways of the past – they will do nothing and think about it – and then think about it some more.

That’s because Newcastle (Mike Ashley?) don’t seem to like to let go of (too much of) their money.

But that’s not what big clubs do – and we should go in with another offer to try to get Florian – or else give up and look elsewhere.

It would be good to see Newcastle being decisive one way or the other.

Florian Thauvin is a gifted technical player and he would be a popular signing for the fans.

And we need something like that – and quickly too.

What do you think?

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:37 AM

If I was McLaren I wouldn’t want to be starting my management career at the Toon relying on players with no Prem experience

• dannyhunt

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Is the fact we havent signed anyone yet due to the financial year starting on 1st july? Or does that not make any difference? If it does i expect at least 4 newbies over the next week!

• Lindisfarne

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM

If Steve McClaren really wants him in his set up then pay the full amount, under the condition that they take Sammy and/or Obertan on loan for the season and pay 60% of their wages. Where do I send my DOF application?

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Lil,
    there is another little detail re Siss. He’s a super athlete. The fastest men the world run 100 m. at an average of 23 mph. This guy was clocked at 22 mph last year, blowing away any opponents.

And that is why you observe so many opponents seemingly just watching him go by.

We must hold on to this player for our CL adventures.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Do Newcastle ponder anything at all apart from how to get stores of money higher without spending a penny?

Probably not.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM

I think we were told Dummet has a new deal because of an interview Ashley Cole gave over the weekend saying he loves life in Italy and has no intention of returning to England any time soon.

• croftus5678

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM

thauvin 14mil or downing 7mil……

one had a great chance of improving in value the other will only lose value

one will be good for 2-3 years max the other potantially a lot longer.

one will lose his pace/skills the other may improve them.

one is proven in the prem the other is a risk.

hmm not sure on this one myself ! 1 thauvin or 2 downings

• Lindisfarne

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:44 AM

dannyhunt

It does and it doesn’t. Yes the financial side of it may very well be that any money spent would preferably be delayed to 2015/16 accounts. But it does not stop an agreement being reached, contracts drawn up and signed that will start as of the 1st of July. Buying a house works in the same way, so it is not uncommon, apart from the fact Estate Agents are less likely to be still showing the property to other potential buyers.

• croftus5678

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM

@2 dannyhunt

everything can be agree’d and sorted before buddy the transfer window opening is just a small part f the window.

thats how other club’s have been signing players ! the lawers have the paperwork all ready to be signed with all the details in them.

austin we know wont be giving us an answer untill 2 weeks and since the bids have stopped coming from us it makes me think we are not after 2 strikers only the one !

either way we need to be pushing hard for that cb deal we desp need imo.

• expatmag

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Jesper

From the last thread, I wasnt actually referring to you as a prat but using the term generally.

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Of course, another Newcastle player was clocked in the fastest ten in the PL, apart from no.1 Siss.

Who? Colback!

We need 5 new players, 2-3 of them absolutely tops, but with some good coaching we already have 5-6 pretty good ones.

• Slank

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I’m not sure we need another winger given that we have Cabella, Sammy, Obertan and Aarons.

It would be nice to have him but not at the expense of missing out on the higher priorities of:

Centre Forward – On the assumption we may sell Cisse then two replacements are needed.
    Midfield Playmaker – We have never replaced the quality of Cabaye. I don’t believe De Jong is that person. I believe Tiote may be sold and whilst Abeid is good and has a lot of potential we do need strength in depth in that key position.
    Centre Halfs – Although the lad from Forest is available and Dummitt is probably a better centre half than fullback Colo, Williamson and Saylor are very suspect. We probably need to two replacements. I would keep Saylor and let the other two go. Janmaat or De Jong would be good captains.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Cyprus,
    So he can run? Obertan should get a shot in the side then.

By this stage in Yaya’s career he was a Champions league winner with Barcelona, having played having played 3 consecutive seasons at Barca putting in more than 30 appearances in each.

His only redeeming feature is running with the ball. If he is to sat with us, then he should only feature as a winger as he is a liability in the centre due to his lack of physical presence off the ball, and his poor passing.

Champions league adventures, when?? Howay, that is about as likely as Sissoko being as good as Yaya.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Rather than spending £14M on Florian Thauvin, I would prefer £7M on Andre Carrillo of Sporting.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:54 AM

*stay with us

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Bring back the Anglo Italian cup !!!!!!

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Lilo
    Could you indulge me please ?
    From our current squad (ignoring fitness issues)
    who would you play in a 3-5-2 wingback system.

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:03 AM

I think at about this age he was embarking on his Barca career, but I may be wrong.

At Barca I would do well too 🙂 No, that’s not fair, but you must admit that it is slightly harder to win things at NUFC!

If Obertan could actually run with the ball and actually dribble past a 12 year old, I’d be full of praise for him.

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM

CL adventures? That’s a wish, not an expectation ;(

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM

In his first year in the PL, he had his critics, believe it or not. That he’d try to carry the ball too much, was wasteful with it, sprinted at opponents with no real aim.

Who am I talking about? Well, Yaya.

I’m not saying Siss is Yaya, really, you know that. We ain’t Barca or City. He’s OUR Yaya. Just like HBA was no Messi! He was OUR Messi 😉

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Cyprus I don’t know if you ever get to games.
    When you see Obertan in the flesh it is not the times he has the ball that frustrate so much (he does occasionally beat an opponent), it is the time when he doesn’t have the ball . I didn’t really buy into the concept “headless chicken” until I saw Gabby at SJP , he hasn’t got a clue .

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM

JIB,
    I get to see a game every couple years 🙁
    I’ve never seen Obertan dribble past a single player and I get to watch 99% of NUFC games! Maybe I blinked mate.

• musomag

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM

That amount of money would be better spent tabling an ‘actual’ bid for Chas Austin rather than gambling on another young, unproven Cabella type.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Jib,
    Centre backs – Saylor, Colo, Dummet.
    Wing backs – Janmaat and Haidara.
    Central midfield – Colback, Anita and De Jong
    Up top – Perez and Cisse

Don’t think there are too many surprises there. I think Colo would look good in the centre of a back 3, and having two more physical presences either side of him will help.

Janmaat and Haidara are both decent going forward, and ould offer good support and width when we attack.

Anita gets the nod over Tiote or Abeid because he is a cleverer player. If we are to use wing backs and leave our flanks more exposed then we need a player of Anita’s intelligence to know when to drop in and provide cover. He is the only midfielder that has done that regularly in the past. Anita also provides a god outlet for bringing the ball out of defence and providing options to the centre half. Colback is in because he was our best midfielder by some distance last season. De Jong is the class act in our midfield and provides a link to the attack.

Cisse and Perez really are no brainers – absolutely zero competition for them if we play 2 up front. Perez playing slightly deeper, with Cisse pushed right up on the last man.

However, that team ignores fitness issues for Saylor, Dummet, Haidara, De Jong and Cisse. If we picked up injuries to those players we would struggle to replace them well in that formation.

• croftus5678

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM

@22 cyprus

lol

tbf ober was a shining light in a few games last season that fans actually wanted him to play as he either scored or created every other when he played ! but lasted all of 2 seconds 😉

the lad’s a waste of space imo good for the championship as i think thats his level along with mike williamson but they should never be touching even 4th choice for there positions imo.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I’m with Tsunki on this point – conversing with the blog idiots contributes massively to the recent offensive comments on the blog.
    Like I’ve said previously a knacker is always a knacker.
    People engage them in conversation which only supports their presence on the blog.
    I do note that those who do engage them are not so quick to condem their filth and offensive posts and continue their own posts as if nothing has happened. Really they should be supporting the blog as a whole instead of just being bothered about themselves.
    In my mind it’s the equivalent to not offering help to lets say helping out an old granny being attacked by thugs – some chose not to see anything and just walk on by as if nothing had happened.

• croftus5678

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM

@24 lilong

imo that would make a lot more sense than a holding midfielder’s job as “only” defending.

colback/anita/abied/sissoko and even tiote have a lot more skills on there plate than just defending and if they was given freedom to take control of the midfield and not just protect the cb’s i think its better for our whole team.

and with your 3 cb’s 2 wingbacks and atleast 2 cm’s who know how to stick a foot in here and there the defensive side should be sorted imo.

• martoon

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:30 AM

On Obertan – he was starting to look like a player at the beginning of last season but after he got injured against Liverpool when he came back he seemed to revert back to the ‘old’ Obertan. I’m not sure we’ll see the ‘new’ Obertan ever again?

• jayphoto

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM

@Lindisfarne – get what you’re saying about Andre Carillo! Think the reason the club are so hot on Thauvin is the potential massive sell on value. If he applies himself he can easily become a 35/40m player. Playing for france he has the chance to shine amongst other worldclass players ie:pogba, etc and will have the chance to play in huge games, such as later stages of euro’s and world cup.
    Unfortunately for Carillo Peru are probably not going to see any world cups any time soon. Players from this country rarely have high value. I’d take Solano, an absolutely fantastic player as an example of this! Farfan to an extent too! Carillo 2 years older than Thauvin and seemingly lacks that bit of star quality a firing thauvin has, hes not really as marketable as Thauvin either.
    On an ability level I’d take either, but on a commercial basis I think the club would see thauvin as much more attractive.

• expatmag

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Lil

Krul

Janmaat Taylor Dummett

Sissoko De Jong Anita Colback Haidara

Perez Cisse

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Lilo
    Cheers for that
    So to extrapolate from your team , the players we are mostly being linked with , pretty much all fit that template.
    Even Vlaar who is approaching his sell by date could be a comfortable fit.

• Oldgit1

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I have watched Thauvin on an alleged promotional video and to be honest it’s got to be the worst I have ever seen, it’s shows he can’t cross a ball, gets caught in possession, and goes down blind alleys. He appears to have speed. I belueve he is no better than oberton. I must be missing something with this guy that Carr sees.

• beermonkey

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM

can you actually see McLaren use a 352 formation
    his favoured formation is 433 so I am expecting formations based around that

• cyprus

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Croftus,
    Agreed there re MF. In the modern game they must defend but there was too much babysitting at times.

I think we need two new very good players back there. Our goals against speaks for itself.

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Lil,

I almost wrote at the height of the disgraceful state of the blog last night that Jib would on here this morning conversing with you like a vicar at a coffee morning.
    And after failing to get any change from anyone else, he has turned to you knowing you would “indulge him.”

I know you may not look at the blog again after you wash your hands of it on a morning. But the rest of us have to deal with it for the rest of the day and night.

I know these morning sessions are splendidly agreeable and butter would not melt in Jib’s dealings with you.
    That is not how it is.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Tsunki and BandB
    Defo the same person
    Whoda thunk it.

• expatmag

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Band

Maybe people can.make their own assumptions on others based on their own experiences rather than following like sheep.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Jib,
    I’m not sure on Vlaar. He is incredibly slow, and would only work if he was in instead of Colo. He needs pace alongside him, to make him look reasonable. If we are to play that formation I wouldn’t go for Vlaar, I’d be more interested in younger centre halts who are physical and have some pace.

Expat,
    Sissoko is so poor in the tackle that I wouldn’t want him at wing back, we would be constantly targeted down that flank. I did consider Janmaat at centre half, but ended up with him at wing back due to a lack of options there.

I think Aarons would probably have to rotate or play understudy to Perez in that formation as well. I couldn’t see him as a wing back.

• jayphoto

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Still hoping the club can do something with Remy Cabella to be honest! Hard start to premier life first playing under a manager that didn’t want you (Pardew) and then having to make sense of Carver after. No one really covered themselves in glory under Carver and under a structured, organised style he has the technical attributes to be a good player.
    In a 4-3-3, Thauvin on the left and Cabella on the right should cause problems to a lot of teams! Add my preferred choice of Mitrovic in the CF role and we’ve got potential for a great front 3.
    Think we need 2 strikers mind, but if our summer dealing was only 2 strikers, a winger and a centreback, and no1 left but McClaren got the players playing to their ability we have a good side.
    I’d take Mitrovic, Thauvin, Matip as out permanent transfers and then Wilson from man utd and van ginkel from Chelsea on loan as a very good summer providing Sissoko stays.
    Outgoing I can see Williamson, Tiote, Cisse definitely vacating! Something tells me Sammy won’t sign that deal and if Gouffran and Obertan stay then it says a lot about their priorities.
    Unfortunately I can’t see Sissoko going. If that’s the case he needs to be replaced by a centre mid that’s ready made (age 26-28)

• BandB

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Expat,

You seem to be dead against these people yourself.
    Except when I am.