The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Ponder Second Bid For Top Target

9:31 am, Monday, June 29th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 166 Comments

If the news is to be believed then Newcastle have already bid €15M (£10.6M) for Marseilles French winger Florian Thauvin, who has been a long term target of Newcastle’s over the last three years, with Graham Carr really liking the player.

But there is news today in the Chronicle today that Newcastle will need to go higher than £10.6M to get their man by another £3.4M.

The news is that Marseilles want around £14M before they will sell.

Florian THAUVIN -8688

Florian Thauvin of Marseilles

We’ve said it before already this summer that Newcastle must get rid of their miserly ways if they want to sell good players in the transfer market.

We are not saying we should be throwing money away on daft deals, but what we don’t want to see Newcastle do is to hold out to try to get a better deal by say £1M – which the club has done too many times in the past.

We’ve missed out on targets by being far too frugal.

However, £3.4M is not loose change either, so maybe we go half way between – say around £12.3M would be a good second bid by Newcastle.

One problem Marseilles have is that they are concerned about a mass exit of their good players from the club, with free agents Andre Ayew (Swansea) and Andre-Pierre Gignac (Tigres in Mexico) having already left.

And there was news a few days ago that West Ham had been successful in their bid to sign Dimitri Payet for £10.6M from the south of France club.

If Newcastle continue their transfer dealing ways of the past – they will do nothing and think about it – and then think about it some more.

That’s because Newcastle (Mike Ashley?) don’t seem to like to let go of (too much of) their money.

But that’s not what big clubs do – and we should go in with another offer to try to get Florian – or else give up and look elsewhere.

It would be good to see Newcastle being decisive one way or the other.

Florian Thauvin is a gifted technical player and he would be a popular signing for the fans.

And we need something like that – and quickly too.

What do you think?

Tags: Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

166 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:37 AM

If I was McLaren I wouldn’t want to be starting my management career at the Toon relying on players with no Prem experience

• 2 dannyhunt // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Is the fact we havent signed anyone yet due to the financial year starting on 1st july? Or does that not make any difference? If it does i expect at least 4 newbies over the next week!

• 3 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM

If Steve McClaren really wants him in his set up then pay the full amount, under the condition that they take Sammy and/or Obertan on loan for the season and pay 60% of their wages. Where do I send my DOF application?

• 4 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM

there is another little detail re Siss. He’s a super athlete. The fastest men the world run 100 m. at an average of 23 mph. This guy was clocked at 22 mph last year, blowing away any opponents.

And that is why you observe so many opponents seemingly just watching him go by.

We must hold on to this player for our CL adventures.

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Do Newcastle ponder anything at all apart from how to get stores of money higher without spending a penny?

Probably not.

• 6 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM

I think we were told Dummet has a new deal because of an interview Ashley Cole gave over the weekend saying he loves life in Italy and has no intention of returning to England any time soon.

• 7 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM

thauvin 14mil or downing 7mil……

one had a great chance of improving in value the other will only lose value

one will be good for 2-3 years max the other potantially a lot longer.

one will lose his pace/skills the other may improve them.

one is proven in the prem the other is a risk.

hmm not sure on this one myself ! 1 thauvin or 2 downings

• 8 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:44 AM

It does and it doesn’t. Yes the financial side of it may very well be that any money spent would preferably be delayed to 2015/16 accounts. But it does not stop an agreement being reached, contracts drawn up and signed that will start as of the 1st of July. Buying a house works in the same way, so it is not uncommon, apart from the fact Estate Agents are less likely to be still showing the property to other potential buyers.

• 9 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM

@2 dannyhunt

everything can be agree’d and sorted before buddy the transfer window opening is just a small part f the window.

thats how other club’s have been signing players ! the lawers have the paperwork all ready to be signed with all the details in them.

austin we know wont be giving us an answer untill 2 weeks and since the bids have stopped coming from us it makes me think we are not after 2 strikers only the one !

either way we need to be pushing hard for that cb deal we desp need imo.

• 10 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM

From the last thread, I wasnt actually referring to you as a prat but using the term generally.

• 11 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Of course, another Newcastle player was clocked in the fastest ten in the PL, apart from no.1 Siss.

Who? Colback!

We need 5 new players, 2-3 of them absolutely tops, but with some good coaching we already have 5-6 pretty good ones.

• 12 Slank // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I’m not sure we need another winger given that we have Cabella, Sammy, Obertan and Aarons.

It would be nice to have him but not at the expense of missing out on the higher priorities of:

Centre Forward – On the assumption we may sell Cisse then two replacements are needed.
    Midfield Playmaker – We have never replaced the quality of Cabaye. I don’t believe De Jong is that person. I believe Tiote may be sold and whilst Abeid is good and has a lot of potential we do need strength in depth in that key position.
    Centre Halfs – Although the lad from Forest is available and Dummitt is probably a better centre half than fullback Colo, Williamson and Saylor are very suspect. We probably need to two replacements. I would keep Saylor and let the other two go. Janmaat or De Jong would be good captains.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:53 AM

So he can run? Obertan should get a shot in the side then.

By this stage in Yaya’s career he was a Champions league winner with Barcelona, having played having played 3 consecutive seasons at Barca putting in more than 30 appearances in each.

His only redeeming feature is running with the ball. If he is to sat with us, then he should only feature as a winger as he is a liability in the centre due to his lack of physical presence off the ball, and his poor passing.

Champions league adventures, when?? Howay, that is about as likely as Sissoko being as good as Yaya.

• 14 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Rather than spending £14M on Florian Thauvin, I would prefer £7M on Andre Carrillo of Sporting.

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:54 AM

*stay with us

• 16 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Bring back the Anglo Italian cup !!!!!!

• 17 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Could you indulge me please ?
    From our current squad (ignoring fitness issues)
    who would you play in a 3-5-2 wingback system.

• 18 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:03 AM

I think at about this age he was embarking on his Barca career, but I may be wrong.

At Barca I would do well too 🙂 No, that’s not fair, but you must admit that it is slightly harder to win things at NUFC!

If Obertan could actually run with the ball and actually dribble past a 12 year old, I’d be full of praise for him.

• 19 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM

CL adventures? That’s a wish, not an expectation ;(

• 20 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM

In his first year in the PL, he had his critics, believe it or not. That he’d try to carry the ball too much, was wasteful with it, sprinted at opponents with no real aim.

Who am I talking about? Well, Yaya.

I’m not saying Siss is Yaya, really, you know that. We ain’t Barca or City. He’s OUR Yaya. Just like HBA was no Messi! He was OUR Messi 😉

• 21 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Cyprus I don’t know if you ever get to games.
    When you see Obertan in the flesh it is not the times he has the ball that frustrate so much (he does occasionally beat an opponent), it is the time when he doesn’t have the ball . I didn’t really buy into the concept “headless chicken” until I saw Gabby at SJP , he hasn’t got a clue .

• 22 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I get to see a game every couple years 🙁
    I’ve never seen Obertan dribble past a single player and I get to watch 99% of NUFC games! Maybe I blinked mate.

• 23 musomag // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM

That amount of money would be better spent tabling an ‘actual’ bid for Chas Austin rather than gambling on another young, unproven Cabella type.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Centre backs – Saylor, Colo, Dummet.
    Wing backs – Janmaat and Haidara.
    Central midfield – Colback, Anita and De Jong
    Up top – Perez and Cisse

Don’t think there are too many surprises there. I think Colo would look good in the centre of a back 3, and having two more physical presences either side of him will help.

Janmaat and Haidara are both decent going forward, and ould offer good support and width when we attack.

Anita gets the nod over Tiote or Abeid because he is a cleverer player. If we are to use wing backs and leave our flanks more exposed then we need a player of Anita’s intelligence to know when to drop in and provide cover. He is the only midfielder that has done that regularly in the past. Anita also provides a god outlet for bringing the ball out of defence and providing options to the centre half. Colback is in because he was our best midfielder by some distance last season. De Jong is the class act in our midfield and provides a link to the attack.

Cisse and Perez really are no brainers – absolutely zero competition for them if we play 2 up front. Perez playing slightly deeper, with Cisse pushed right up on the last man.

However, that team ignores fitness issues for Saylor, Dummet, Haidara, De Jong and Cisse. If we picked up injuries to those players we would struggle to replace them well in that formation.

• 25 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM

@22 cyprus

tbf ober was a shining light in a few games last season that fans actually wanted him to play as he either scored or created every other when he played ! but lasted all of 2 seconds 😉

the lad’s a waste of space imo good for the championship as i think thats his level along with mike williamson but they should never be touching even 4th choice for there positions imo.

• 26 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I’m with Tsunki on this point – conversing with the blog idiots contributes massively to the recent offensive comments on the blog.
    Like I’ve said previously a knacker is always a knacker.
    People engage them in conversation which only supports their presence on the blog.
    I do note that those who do engage them are not so quick to condem their filth and offensive posts and continue their own posts as if nothing has happened. Really they should be supporting the blog as a whole instead of just being bothered about themselves.
    In my mind it’s the equivalent to not offering help to lets say helping out an old granny being attacked by thugs – some chose not to see anything and just walk on by as if nothing had happened.

• 27 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM

@24 lilong

imo that would make a lot more sense than a holding midfielder’s job as “only” defending.

colback/anita/abied/sissoko and even tiote have a lot more skills on there plate than just defending and if they was given freedom to take control of the midfield and not just protect the cb’s i think its better for our whole team.

and with your 3 cb’s 2 wingbacks and atleast 2 cm’s who know how to stick a foot in here and there the defensive side should be sorted imo.

• 28 martoon // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:30 AM

On Obertan – he was starting to look like a player at the beginning of last season but after he got injured against Liverpool when he came back he seemed to revert back to the ‘old’ Obertan. I’m not sure we’ll see the ‘new’ Obertan ever again?

• 29 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM

@Lindisfarne – get what you’re saying about Andre Carillo! Think the reason the club are so hot on Thauvin is the potential massive sell on value. If he applies himself he can easily become a 35/40m player. Playing for france he has the chance to shine amongst other worldclass players ie:pogba, etc and will have the chance to play in huge games, such as later stages of euro’s and world cup.
    Unfortunately for Carillo Peru are probably not going to see any world cups any time soon. Players from this country rarely have high value. I’d take Solano, an absolutely fantastic player as an example of this! Farfan to an extent too! Carillo 2 years older than Thauvin and seemingly lacks that bit of star quality a firing thauvin has, hes not really as marketable as Thauvin either.
    On an ability level I’d take either, but on a commercial basis I think the club would see thauvin as much more attractive.

• 30 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Janmaat Taylor Dummett

Sissoko De Jong Anita Colback Haidara

Perez Cisse

• 31 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Cheers for that
    So to extrapolate from your team , the players we are mostly being linked with , pretty much all fit that template.
    Even Vlaar who is approaching his sell by date could be a comfortable fit.

• 32 Oldgit1 // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I have watched Thauvin on an alleged promotional video and to be honest it’s got to be the worst I have ever seen, it’s shows he can’t cross a ball, gets caught in possession, and goes down blind alleys. He appears to have speed. I belueve he is no better than oberton. I must be missing something with this guy that Carr sees.

• 33 beermonkey // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM

can you actually see McLaren use a 352 formation
    his favoured formation is 433 so I am expecting formations based around that

• 34 cyprus // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Agreed there re MF. In the modern game they must defend but there was too much babysitting at times.

I think we need two new very good players back there. Our goals against speaks for itself.

• 35 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I almost wrote at the height of the disgraceful state of the blog last night that Jib would on here this morning conversing with you like a vicar at a coffee morning.
    And after failing to get any change from anyone else, he has turned to you knowing you would “indulge him.”

I know you may not look at the blog again after you wash your hands of it on a morning. But the rest of us have to deal with it for the rest of the day and night.

I know these morning sessions are splendidly agreeable and butter would not melt in Jib’s dealings with you.
    That is not how it is.

• 36 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Tsunki and BandB
    Defo the same person
    Whoda thunk it.

• 37 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Maybe people can.make their own assumptions on others based on their own experiences rather than following like sheep.

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM

I’m not sure on Vlaar. He is incredibly slow, and would only work if he was in instead of Colo. He needs pace alongside him, to make him look reasonable. If we are to play that formation I wouldn’t go for Vlaar, I’d be more interested in younger centre halts who are physical and have some pace.

Sissoko is so poor in the tackle that I wouldn’t want him at wing back, we would be constantly targeted down that flank. I did consider Janmaat at centre half, but ended up with him at wing back due to a lack of options there.

I think Aarons would probably have to rotate or play understudy to Perez in that formation as well. I couldn’t see him as a wing back.

• 39 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Still hoping the club can do something with Remy Cabella to be honest! Hard start to premier life first playing under a manager that didn’t want you (Pardew) and then having to make sense of Carver after. No one really covered themselves in glory under Carver and under a structured, organised style he has the technical attributes to be a good player.
    In a 4-3-3, Thauvin on the left and Cabella on the right should cause problems to a lot of teams! Add my preferred choice of Mitrovic in the CF role and we’ve got potential for a great front 3.
    Think we need 2 strikers mind, but if our summer dealing was only 2 strikers, a winger and a centreback, and no1 left but McClaren got the players playing to their ability we have a good side.
    I’d take Mitrovic, Thauvin, Matip as out permanent transfers and then Wilson from man utd and van ginkel from Chelsea on loan as a very good summer providing Sissoko stays.
    Outgoing I can see Williamson, Tiote, Cisse definitely vacating! Something tells me Sammy won’t sign that deal and if Gouffran and Obertan stay then it says a lot about their priorities.
    Unfortunately I can’t see Sissoko going. If that’s the case he needs to be replaced by a centre mid that’s ready made (age 26-28)

• 40 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM

You seem to be dead against these people yourself.
    Except when I am.

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:48 AM

BandB – cannot disagree at all with your post @35.

• 42 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:48 AM

I agree. I’ve seen the same video. If that’s his “best of”, I’d hate to see his worst!

• 43 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Good morning mate.

I can see him using both systems hut probably 433 as his standard system

• 44 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Only really seen Vlaar at the WC and he looked immense. Brother in law is a Holte Ender though and actually doesn’t want Villa to keep him. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing in the world cup and says Vlaar never ever plays like that for Villa.
    Also says Okore has a right clanger in him.
    He rates Ciaran Clark though, reckons he probably needs a move to progress

• 45 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:50 AM

By the way I went out for dinner with my wife and another couple yesterday . We started early my last post was about 4 pm other than that one post about Phil Neville going to Valencia late on when I came back in.

Maybe the doppelganger was at work .

Who knows and frankly my dear …………

• 46 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I neither influence others nor follow with blinkers on.

I gave never had a problem with JIB in the few discussions I have had with him.

• 47 lesh // Jun 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM

There are ways to spend money within a current financial year yet allocate the costs to the following.

What’s more, there’s supposed to be £34m sitting in ‘the bank’.

Where there’s a will, nothing’s impossible.

The optimist in me says that there will be signings announced in the next few days, just in time to counter any negative comments from the Fan Forum fan reps.

In hope……

• 48 beermonkey // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM

as long as we start matches lining up to exploit weaknesses in the opposition I don’t mind what how we set out
    no more 4231 no matter who it is and sit behind ball will all be a distant memory soon I hope

• 49 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM

I’ll be sad if SamiAmi leaves
    I think his lovely languid running style offers something different as an impact sub.

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM

You are right, once I have been on in the morning I rarely pop back on, and when I do, I don’t go through all the conversations from the night before.

I’m thoroughly confused with all this blog multiples stuff, and it is too much hard work for a football blog. If people didn’t engage or bother with them when they aren’t talking NUFC or football, and are just being objectional they would soon get bored – if they don’t they have bigger issues than being ignored on a blog.

I appreciate that people think that by engaging them I just encourage them to continue posting, but if I only encourage when people want to discuss football and NUFC, then I don’t see the harm.

I come on to talk football, and NUFC, there are plenty of folk on here who have been prone to fling insults at one another on both sides and I converse with most of them if they are talking football. If they aren’t I ignore them, it really is that simple for me.

• 51 reilly // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:11 AM

as posters all we can do is ignore the scumbags,some will some wont.
    its for ed to get to grips with and sort it out once and for all,but i have my doubts as it would effect the number of hits his blog gets.

• 52 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:12 AM

@Jib – Sammy is like young Shola! Theres definitely something there, we see it in flashes! Always thought he should have been a striker though, a 6″5.5 winger is ridiculous! Is he the tallest winger in the world? Also because of his Asthma I don’t think he has the lungs for a full match on the wing. As a striker he could have a Wanchope style awkwardness!
    Reckon his contract offer will be miniscule though, offered only to secure compensation if he signs for anyone else.
    Reckon Sammy will want to avoid Sholas career path of 13 years as 3rd choice striker. I won’t be sad if he stays aslong as we sign a top player for in front of him but reckon he’ll be off. If he was going to stay I think he would have signed by now, I think he can’t actually accept another club until July 1st?

• 53 cestriasteve // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Great post with that team selection and explanation. I really enjoy your posts mate.

I remember a few of your posts questioning signings before we signed them and your full explanations/ reasoning behind the post. I remember us both questioning the Cabella signing and other peoples feedback on that and also your question mark about Sissoko not being the finished article.

Both of these now true.

What’s your thoughts on Thauvin?

• 54 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:16 AM

on another subject rolando has really impressed me with his comments !

for a 19yo to say he’s not taking a holiday and instead has realised his own injury problems and is training with darren campbell to improve his fitness and conditioning to prevent further injuries…we should be extending that lads deal now imo not waiting till he will want a bigger weekly wage and attracting the big boys who will offer him over 100k a week if he does come good.

• 55 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM

There’s a bloke who lives down our street- his profession is a burglar. Everybody knows he’s a burglar. Those who think he’s a decent chap have not had their gaffs burgled —————————–yet.

• 56 cestriasteve // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM

On Dammy listen to jayphoto, that’s a good summary of Sammy, nice lad and all but I don’t even think he’s championship material.

• 57 cestriasteve // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM

On my listen to jayphoto, that’s a good summary of Sammy, nice lad and all but I don’t even think he’s championship material.

• 58 alkinou // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I could see why we would want Thauvin because he truely is a talent but he’s got a worse attitude than Ben Arfa, trust me, I’m often on French sites (I’m Belgian) and we don’t want someone like him.

Thanks but no thanks !

• 59 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Makes a lot of sense but I was just going for minimum cost maximum impact. William Carvalho has the potential to double his already high price tag and massively improve any team, but I doubt it will happen at NUFC. Thauvin may have potential and better strength than Cabella, but needs a lot of work and would be an expensive sub.

• 60 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM

@Croftus5678 – Actually feel for the club on Aarons! Very hard situation! For me he hasn’t played enough to warrant the deal I think he wants. We’ve seen a few flash in the pan players that played well for a handful of games and I’m sure the club don’t want to be lumbered with another 20-30k pw year deal player that doesn’t play.
    On the other side his attitude looks spot on and he has the ability to really do something. Great combo! He’s not as quick as some on here think tho! My guess is the club will watch how he does in preseason and the first 2/3 months of the season before offering him a deal around Christmas! In this case I can’t blame them for holding off slightly, he just hasn’t played enough minutes!

• 61 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:22 AM

I see what you mean.

Six and two threes …

I mean, I’m always making thalidomide cracks, me.

JfA, for example, can be be a bit feisty.

But the overwhelming reason he attracts so much abuse is his honestly-held view that Ashley is bad for the club.

He has fought back. But it is easy to be “the better man” when you are not facing “JFA with a face like a Hiroshima victim” posts being repeated again and again.

“Lilongwe Geordie with a face like a thalidomide?”

It’s not nice, is it?

Still wan’t to talk football, like the better man?

• 62 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Wanchope reminds me of one of those daft footy things that went round pubs at one time before smoking bans and social media changed things forever.
    It was ; which footballers would you bring to a barbecue ? Wanchope (One Chop)
    I cannot remember any more now.

Another was ; which footballers named after TV progs ? Dan Petrescu (Pet Rescue)

Oh what fun we had in the past , how we laughed .

• 63 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM

The priority for incoming transfers has got to be two strikers and two central defenders, of good quality and fairly experienced. All the other positions can be maintained in the short term, but it is not necessary for McClaren to pass any sort of judgement over the fact we definitely need these four players.

• 64 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Expat…I think there’s different ways to talk to different ppl on here…wum or no wum (who’s a wum is even debatable), but I engage with most ppl in a calm and sensible way!

…and I expect that in return (and that was not an invite to a personal assault by Jail)!

I did read your comment as calling me a pray – appreciate if that’s was not the case. Still think you misunderstood my remark to Jeff seeing as you felt it was important to notify me that you felt he had a point!

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I haven’t seen much of Thauvin. So I’m not really sure. He clearly has ability, whether he would be well suited to the Premier league I don’t know. I doubt he will arrive, but if he does then I’d look into it more.

Yeah, I’d still talk football.

• 66 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM

*pray = prat

• 67 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM

@Lindisfarne – yeah Carvalho looks such a good player! NEVER watch Portuguese football though I believe he’s stood out there for a while now? First time I really seen him is this euro’s u21 tourney, he absolutely destroyed a german midfield that was worth about £60m and labelled the next wave of german talent the other night! Was 5 yards ahead of Emre Can!

Personally I would LOVE Thauvin to sign! He needs to work on strength but he really is a classy player. His control his sublime, he’s a lot quicker than Cabella and is much more direct. His finishing is pretty lethal too. Think Wenger called him the Great French hope a year or 2 ago. Theres no chance Newcastle under Ashley will ever go and sign a superstar but if we take Mitrovic and Thauvin chances are they could become superstars at the club. The ability is unlimited. Granted they’d be sold should that happen but I’d take 1 season of superstar hero worshipping that another season of lifers like Williamson being honest pro’s

• 68 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM

If you are making those allegations about me.
    You are wrong.
    Nothing more to be said really.

• 69 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:31 AM

@60 jay

its a bit risky that imo.

he’s in the last year of his contract now meaning it we leave it half a season he has the right to speak to any interested party !

even from what we have seen of him so far and what he has done at youth levels in the england team it’s a no brainer imo for any team to snap up a player like him for free.

• 70 Slank // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lindisfarne @ 63

I agree with you that the priority for incoming transfers has got to be two strikers and two central defenders, of good quality and fairly experienced. I would also add an experienced central midfielder.

And yes all the other positions can be maintained in the short term.

I would guess that McClaren already knows which positions need strengthening.

• 71 carl // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lilongwe and expatmag.
    I am with you both on your common sense approach to posting. As you say this is a football blog and you should seek to engage with whomever you want to and not mindlessly criticised for so doing. I personally have taken this matter up with Dr Harrison and I was surprised to learn that some of those pleading bad practices on here are themselves also doing the self same thing . This otherwise excellent blog is a great source of information on a selective basis.
    Eagerly awaiting the start of pre season and post Ist July some much needed signings being announced .

• 72 Slank // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Well said.

• 73 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Well done you.
    I enjoy your posts too.
    You do stick to football and you rarely stray into politics, which means you have a very agreeable time.

Ibizatoon is a very agreeable chap too. Paying the price now for expressing upsetting opinions to those who really don’t want to hear them.

Maybe we should all just stick to football. Genius.

I’ll let it go now.

I understand you loud and clear.

• 74 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM

“”However, Ashley’s assurances over his commitment, promise of more investment and the appointment of McClaren have lifted spirits and convinced Cathro of the club’s potential.””

Signing on tomorrow.

• 75 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:42 AM

@Slank – I would LOVE 2 central defenders to come in but theres no way its happening.
    Taylors fit, Coloccini is on 80k a week, Lascelles is coming in and Dummett is better there than at left back. That’s providing we dump Williamson. Reckon we’ll only see 1 coming in. If its Matip, then Matip, Coloccini, Taylor, Lascelles and Dummett is pretty good cover for the CB positions. Matip has a lot of pace and height. Personally think a fit steve taylor might be a better choice than Colo tho but on the wages they are both on I can’t see either leaving.
    I’m waiting for people to link us to Jan Kirchoff. The guy has Newcastle signing written all over him. Had worldclass potential, couple of top seasons at Mainz. 6″5. Still only 24. He also has the mandatory terrible injury record in recent seasons that Carr and Charnley seem to adore! Been on loan at Schalke but theyre not taking him on, not wanted at Bayern (no chance he’s getting into that team) and rumours are he can go for next to nothing in price.
    He’s a great player when fit….

• 76 Vask // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:42 AM

All this rehashed speculation is so boring. Judge the squad on the first day of the season or a similar cliche.

I think the Cathro appointment is proper exciting and I hope he does begin his management career here. Obviously I’m basing my opinion upon the media hype surrounding him but he sounds like the most progressive coach Newcastle has seen in years. I would prefer him to be assistant manager however I can see him prepping the youngsters for first team action.

On the Simpson link yesterday…

How likely do people think it is that he will be joining us this summer?
    Also where do people see Cathro in the coaching set up?

• 77 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I put Janmaat in the back 3 purely because he has some pace and Sissoko out wide as his pace is useful out there in a creative role.

If the opposition hit us quickly on the break, Anita could shuffle over and Sissoko could filter back through the middle.

• 78 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM

@Lilongwe – I tend to just not read any comments after 6pm GMT! Blog seems to get ridiculous in the evening!
    Shame. There used to be some great posters on here! Still is a few mind but used to think some of the comments were better than the articles!
    Maybe a successful Newcastle team and some general positivity might see it improve?

• 79 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM

If I had called you a prat, I would gave made it obvious.

• 80 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Maybe a few of you members of the Most Agreeable Morning Club SHOULD come on after 6pm and try taking about football or anything else.
    It would get you out of your comfort zone soon enough.

• 81 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM

• 82 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM

IMO ther is no point bringing Cathro in and then putting him third in line, his ideas have got to be given considerable rein under the ‘tutorledge’ of McClaren and with the help of Simpson to implement.

• 83 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Cathro sounds good an quite optimistic over the coaching team, more so than Pardews ever did for me

Just hope he hasn’t been lied to by Ashley though and the players respect him despite his age that may not be an issue though as we have no spine in the team

Will now have a coaching team with pedigree in foreign leagues how novel

• 84 Vask // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM

No thanks BandB all the good telly starts post 6pm. 😉

• 85 Rotonda heights // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Jib / Jane / Jeff

many players come from abroad and make an instant impact, ie Cisse, cabaye or higher up the food chain your agueros etc etc.

Yes 1 or 2 will fail or take abit longer but didn’t we get relegated with butt, barton, given, owen, duff etc who had a mountain of PL experience.

If SM wants some germans and Dutch players good on him.

• 86 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Hazarding at a guess you dont include me in the agreeable mob but if you did, 6pm UK time is 3am Oz time and at my age, I need my sleep….lol

• 87 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I would guess Charnley knew which positions have needed strengthening for the past six windows, if he doesn’t he should not be in the job.

• 88 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I know Vask…

Abney and Teal, Waybuloo, Old Jack’s Boat, In the Night Garden, the Bedtime Story.
    I never miss.

• 89 Sack Llambias // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I had to laugh at your defence of your mate Jail. Also Tsunki advising him yesterday about ip addresses. JFA posted as Raj and a few others including an irate Beattie and myself. We both stopped posting because we became implicated in his nonsense. Jail was finally caught out apparently when he tried posting offshore. Talk about pots and kettles. You need to see things as they are and not how you would like them to be.
    He and a few other fanatics have ruined it for us but Ed does not want to spend so much time on this type of nonsense. It’s a football blog for Fans around the world. We want to follow our hometown team. Simple but true. HWTL.

• 90 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I’d have to see huge improvement in Sissoko for that. The only place I’d consider playing him is wide right in a 442 4231 451 etc. I agree his pace and running can be an asset, but full backs and wing backs are crucial roles nowadays, andI don’t think he is up to it.

I’m certain a more positive NUFC and some good news would lead to a more enjoyable blog and a better atmosphere.

• 91 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Would I include you in the Agreeable Club for Gentlemen Posters?

Apart from this WUMs issue, I agree with most stuff you write.

• 92 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Hahahaha – now we have Ian Toon appearing a Carl.
    The beggars are all coming out of the woodwork.
    Getting a compliment from the Arch Trickster Ian Toon must be like being on the Yorkshire Rippers Christmas Card List.
    Some duplicity being displayed by some posters today.

• 93 Lindisfarne // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Of course the real priority is to fill the position of Financial Director, no wonder there appears to be little consideration to the Coaches and Team, they are busy concentrating on the paper-scissors-stone selection process.

• 94 Slank // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Lindisfarne @ 87

I agree. Should be a no brainer. Also it should coincide with the type of players Carr has earmarked for purchase.

• 95 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM

@Vask – I’m excited by Cathro coming in too! Seems to go against the grain. Quite like that he’s not played professionally too! His focus has purely been on coaching for his whole career and hes coming here based on merit to what hes achieved as a coach! Not because he’s a Geordie or that he happened to play alongside the manager at a club once! Its not another job for the boys! Valencia played some good stuff last year too! Really played a different style to other Spanish teams.
    Similarly I’m quite pleased with the Steve Black appointment! NUFC seem to have neglected the mental side of players since Ashley took over! Carver got mental preparation all wrong. Read a few reports about Black from people that have worked with him, sounds positive!
    Simpson coming in isn’t necessarily a bad thing either! McClaren needs an ear on the ground. Simpson was popular with the players at Derby and is no mug.
    Eric Steele will be a huge appointment! World Class GK coach! Has an eye for talent too! Was the one who Sir Alex ferguson sought for opinion on De Gea and other keepers as replacements for Van der sar! Could really bring Kruls game back on track!
    Been to long since we had top coaches revered and respected for their actual coaching at the club!
    I know Carvers got qualifications but any mug can get a ministers license it don’t make him the pope! The guys coming in seem genuine top draw and that’s a new direction for the club!

• 96 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM

I extend my invitation to you too to join the post G2 session at 6pm.

It really is crying out for better men who just want to talk about NUFC.

You could make all the difference!

• 97 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Woah ———Sack Llambias appearing now (Ian Toon) – stand by for the deluge -they’re appearing from all directions.

• 98 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM

@85 rotonda

i agree the german league isnt that different from the prem anyways so no real reason why they couldnt adapt quick.

• 99 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I am honoured, maam

• 100 Vask // Jun 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM

WWSBRD I think that it doesn’t matter what the owner said to Cathro (if they even spoke directly), I reckon if he didn’t believe he could build his career with us he wouldn’t be here. I will give credit to the management for bringing him in when it is shown on the pitch. I like how good of a coach he seemingly is for youngsters too.

• 101 firebug666 // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I would hope that some sort of announcement would be made today or tomorrow before the players are back.

• 102 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Maybe some better and more specialist coaching from the new regime might help. Anyway, I feel that if he was more committed to our cause, he would have to be in the starting 11.

• 103 Our Toon // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Reading through it seems quite a few are happy with Janmaat as a CB…Must be a hangover from pards time here by playing a FB at CB. Janmaat is poor defensively, remember the man utd game at home although Abeid and Krul messed up it was Janmaat who turned turned his back on the ball rather than trying to block the shot. Then the Southampton game Elia did him twice by running in centrally.

Janmaat’s strongest asset is his attacking play not his defensive attributes which again confuses me why we’d want to nullify that!!

• 104 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM

You are right
    I just put it out there as a random thought and soon as I posted it I thought about Cabaye and Tiote who almost immediately had fans drooling.
    I suppose that is the coach/scouts skill , looking at a player in in a eredivisie or ligue1 game and knowing there is a better than 90% chance they will handle the EPL

• 105 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Maybe mate but am tired of people coming in to false promises and leaving with distain for the club

I can’t think of anyone who left and thought well of the club in all honesty

• 106 Slank // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Lindisfarne @ 93

I’m very surprised, if it is true, that there isn’t a Financial Director. I thought the FD from SD was parachuted in whilst a permanent FD was found.

The previous FD (whose name escapes me) was always involved in the transfers. I cannot believe Charnley is doing all this on his own.

• 107 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM

You could be losing the plot, mate…

• 108 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Expat…to me it was kinda obvious!

…seeing as it was a response to me shouldn’t that mean something to you?

• 109 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Personally think Cathro will be having big input on the coaching sessions and development of players, with the focus more on technical side advising on best how to develop the players and have them at the top of their game advising on who’s best for what job etc, focusing on our team rather than the opposition. From what I’ve read about him he seems to be completely focused on the development of players.
    Simpson on the other hand I think will assist with watching what the opposition will be bringing, advising on what kind of players opposing teams struggle to play against and probably be McClarens go to guy when discussing starting line up, tactics etc. He’s McClarens confidant and will go when McClaren goes. I think its important for managers to have this man. Whereas I imagine Cathro would be the guy groomed to takeover the team when McClaren goes in time. He’s so young he won’t be 40 for another 12 years!!!
    Steve Black purely deals with the mental side of things I think. His coaching sessions sound fun though!
    For me theres definitely room for 3 of them. McClarens sessions added to it, It’ll help keep the training interesting and lets be honest, Man Utd etc have always had 4 or 5 top coaches, it can’t hurt.

• 110 Blofal // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I think we should make a loan bid for Adnan Januzaj.

• 111 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Whatever…..move on

• 112 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM

I would but my evenings are pretty busy, dinner to cook, masters to study for, sports to play, football academy organisation and running to deal with etc. It is easier popping on while in the office, as I can take time out during my morning as I start work at 4am most mornings and by the time it gets to 9am, I just have meetings and computer work to deal with.

• 113 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM

I’ll turn back into a pumpkin. Thank you for not dealing with the gate-crash with too much gentlemanly harrumphing and back-turning.

I’ll be back tomorrow to see the announcement of the failed Derby County back room team greeted with much grave discourse as a jolly good show. Like the Emperor had clothes.

As St Cecilia said….’Leap up and Down.”

See you at six….

• 114 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Good player but i would prefer to develop our own youngsters than Man Utds.

He would probably take a position Aarons and Ameobi would currently fill

• 115 croftus5678 // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM

@103 our toon

if it was last season i would have been happy with jan as cb but only because he was better than colo/williamson.

he should never be a cb imo and should def stay rb/wb but if a player like him can make our current cb’s look so bad and looking ahead of next season we have lescalles come in and saylor back fit with a new coaching set up !

is that going to be enough to improve our defence to become silverware challengers ? my best guess is not and we need atleast another top cb in.

• 116 jayphoto // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM

@ourtoon – I never want to see Janmaat at CB again! Granted he did ok when covering but I’m huge advocate of playing players in their natural positions!
    Janmaat is a right back. If you’re playing him out of position it should either be because you’re playing him as a wing back or a right midfielder! His strength is in getting down the line and putting a delivery in. With a striker with aerial ability I think he would have notched north of 10 assists last year.
    I’m ok with dummett playing left back/centreback only because I think he’s possibly equal in both positions! (and should only be a squad player anyhow)

• 117 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Our Toon,
    My thoughts of playing Janmaat as a centre back stemmed from being asked to pick a 352 side based on what is at the club. I didn’t go with him in the end, but he is no poorer defensively than other options when having to pick 3 central defenders.

• 118 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Agree with BandB and Tuffers. And no we aren’t the same person. It’s not meant to be a lecture on how the blog should be policed, just a cautionary tale in dealing with the idiots who’ve tried to ruin the blog you enjoy being able to interact on.

We have had a torrid time and last night it was reasonably conclusive that the jeff persona is indeed behind at least five names that have made some cringeingly embarrassing slip ups, everything well documented last night.

Now you can ignore the advice of those who actually have the blogs best interest at heart and pull together to preserve it, or, as has been said ‘ go your own path’ and breathe continued life into this questionable individual. But the more you engage him/her, even when they pretend to be nice and all reformed, the longer they will keep multiplying and posting their vile rubbish. Your choice, nobody’s forcing you.

• 119 firebug666 // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Just thinking here that there are echo’s of JK. He announced himself in the media before the club could be bothered to get a statement out.

Now Cathro has announced himself in the Sun and on BT Sport, so we might as well just keep an eye on the media for who else is joining the backroom staff.

Just think though, more pennies saved by the club not having to make announcements.

• 120 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I’d much prefer he stayed on the right, and we actually bought some good quality centre backs.

• 121 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Ostrich’s are such elegant creatures Tsunki.

• 122 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Rubbish punctuation girl ….

• 123 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Janmaat at CB would be depressing for me he’s a RB and a fine one at that not sure why we would force him into CB and buy a RB rather than just getting some CBs in. For Christ sake we still have the same CBs as we had in the Championship how disgraceful is that

• 124 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM

“Rubbish punctuation Girl”…… Worst super hero name ever 😀

• 125 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Let’s hope it’s no more than echoes of the Joker!

• 126 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Anyway, good afternoon. How is everyone?

On this article, is another winger really priority? CB and fw first, please.

• 127 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM

I have nothing but misplaced apostrophes with which to Save the Blog!

• 128 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Carl and sack llambias no surprise to see you resurface and make claims,abput being given hard disk e to you were the guy who started this whole ball rolling and as a consequence it was highlighted for how sad it was by so.e of us deliberately having a go at the same thing as an obvious joke at your expense, or an lustre Toon of his easy it is to be beguiled by wums like you.

It was bad enough when it was just you slapping yourself or. The back and mistakenly posting to yourself when you forgot. Now we’ve got jeff doing the same thing.

it’s all good here in the say to.e but when these idiots are short in entertainment of an evening, as in always, this place is like the park after midnight – not such an idyllic picnic setting.

• 129 firebug666 // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Ron Knee

I don’t think we need have any worries of him getting near the club again mate.

We have enough enlisted already to embarrass us, just start from the Managing Director and work down.

• 130 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I faked the Pentagon video as well don’t forget.

• 131 Our Toon // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Chaps I think we all agree we need CB’s it doesn’t take a genius to work this out so the delay in signing players until McClaren has seen the squad is even more baffling to me. 2 CB’s needed minimum, 3 if we got rid of Willo

• 132 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I can’t critisize…. some of the typos from using this phone are rediculous. You yourself almost got called “vansb” by me before! Luckilly i caught it before i sent it.

• 133 Ron Knee // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Always room for more at NUFC!

• 134 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:26 PM

BandB – you needed to be there I suppose. There are a few here who haven’t seen the night time antics of the Wum’s, so I suppose we just look like we’re picking on poor innocent posters.

• 135 firebug666 // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Ron Knee

Yes! Just not that one lol.

• 136 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Our toon

If we get rid of Willo, i think we might still be ok with 2 new ones. Those 2, colo, taylor and lascelles would be enough cover. Dummet is also more a cb than a lb too.

• 137 expatmag // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I hear what you say and agree with most of it too but like Lilongwe, I only really want to talk football here and the very very few conversations I have had with JIB have been reasonable and non conflictual.

I have had cause in the past to support others on here particularly during the TUFF/Blackley altercation recently do it us not a case on my behalf of burying my head in the sand as so eloquently put by Band but more of no longer wanting to getting involved in petty squabbles.

However, I will take your comments on board for future reference.

• 138 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM

There’s a story I read somewhere about how walking by on the other side of the road rather than defile yourself with disagreeable business doesn’t ACTUALLY make you the “better man.”

• 139 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM

So many typos couldn’t understand it myself –

Carl and sack llambias no surprise to see you resurface and make claims about being given a hard time -you were the guy who started this whole ball rolling and as a consequence it was highlighted for how sad it was by some of us deliberately having a go at the same thing as an obvious joke at your expense, or an illustration of how easy it is to be beguiled by wums like you.

It was bad enough when it was just you slapping yourself on the back and mistakenly posting to yourself when you forgot. Now we’ve got jeff doing the same thing.

it’s all good and cosy here in the daytime but when these idiots are short in entertainment of an evening, as in always, this place is like the park after midnight – not such an idyllic picnic setting.

• 140 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:41 PM

BandB yes I read it in a book somewhere too. If only I could remember which one….

Fair enough expat, as I said it’s no lecture but we all only want to talk nufc, footy and have a bit of banter. When you see how it’s been at certain times none of that gets a look in. Check out last night’s comments on people being Thalidomide. Hiroshima victims, being the blog Rolf Harris or Jimmy Savile, and past glories like ‘spastics on elastic’. – ah the wittiness! This is the guy that protests too much that he is being wrongly accused.

• 141 Blaydon-Toon // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Good day too the afternoon club ! On the CB issue – is the forest lad lacecels ? Spelling ready to go straight into the team as I have no knowledge about him only that he was highly rated ? Do think we need decent RB cover and obviously a top centre forward or two

• 142 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Anyway, ‘Rubbish Punctuation Girl”! Shall I just wait for the movie? 🙂 I think “Poor Comprehension Man” could be doing a cameo…

• 143 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Don’t we all?

• 144 Tsunki // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Blaydon -. Yes, and… no. Depending on what the hell you were talking about ha ha.

Yes I think we need good rb cover, janmaat goes down and we’re pretty much back to the dithering backbone of last year. Lascelles imo a future never was. Could be wrong but….

• 145 geordie157 // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Wijnaldum would be a much better signing than thauvin,think he’d adapt quickly to the league and is generally a better all round player.

Austin, wijnaldum, schaar/quality cb in
    obertan,Williamson out
    That would be the minimum I expect from this window

• 146 Blaydon-Toon // Jun 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM

I would take a couple more seasons of finishing mid to low table if we were clearly heading in the right direction and developing our young players plus adding one or two more experienced players – having said that I’m pretty sure that would be futile under the Ashley regime as he would just cash in

• 147 Blaydon-Toon // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Would be great to have a fearless approach instead of the trash witnessed of late winning by the odd goal or getting hammered

• 148 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Turks are coming

• 149 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:06 PM

losing cisse is OK. but we need to replace him with likewise quality. He’s a top poacher in a side who can give him a good supply.

the only reason why i wouldnt want to lose him is because its newcastle. we won’t replace him. we will never learn.

• 150 Rotonda heights // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Exactly . look at the england one day cricket team. They now play without fear and it’s great to watch. Pardew and carver could never lose the fear.

• 151 Jib // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM

This is about the best of todays news and most of it gloomy I’m afraid.

• 152 Rotonda heights // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Austin, wijnaldum, schaar/quality cb in
    obertan,Williamson out

If only!!!!

• 153 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Not walking by does not mean that you are are better “man”. It is just at that moment in time you did the right thing. We are all human and can make mistakes and do daft things on occasions.

• 154 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM

I don’t follow your argument.

You say losing Cisse is ok.

If we replace him.

Then you say you don’t think we will replace him.

So is it still okay?

• 155 Mister Tuff // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Next we’ll be getting a F*****g weather forecast every half hour.

• 156 WWSBRD // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Balotelli on loan? We pay half of his wages! Be a laugh atleast

• 157 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM

The best chance we have to get Austin is to pay the asking price. Plenty of teams are baulking at £15m

If QPR go down to £12m, it opens the door to other teams who might make a better case and pay better wages.

• 158 thevirus // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Never seen this lad play so can’t comment on whether or not the price is right but have heard he has a attitude problem which is something we really don’t need so I would rather try to get the best out of cabella and if he proves no good again this coming season cut our losses and sell on

• 159 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Hi the virus.
    Welcome to the blog.

• 160 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Sorry about misspelling your name.

I described someone’s antics on the blog yesterday a virus.

Freudian slip…….

• 161 Blaydon-Toon // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Spot on Rotonda great to our cricketers play so fearlessly – it might not work everytime but it’s a lot more pleasing on the eye

• 162 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM

I didn’t know that

• 163 thevirus // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Hello bandb have been reading the blog for years but very rarely comment,had a falling out with lee penfold charnley yesterday but as I’ve noticed since I’m not the first, it’s a shame these people have a place on the blog

• 164 optimistic prime // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:30 PM

You around?

Yesterday or day before I beleive you said Schteeve and his coaching team where booked into a hotel near you.

Do you know the names of the others booked in?

Thanks in advance

• 165 BandB // Jun 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM

The Virus

Yeah….I saw he bit the dust just as you showed up.

A brand new poster like you being targeted from the off by another brand new poster…..literally unbelievable. But it’s been happening SO MUCH lately.

You had a lucky escape there………

• 166 Moonraker15 // Jun 29, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Newcastle United, ponderous? That sums us up; we’re always pondering whilst other clubs are using any means to tap up agents and promising fat salaries.

It’s times like this that I long for fat Freddie; for all his faults he knew how to close a deal! and before anyone responds with how he nearly sent us to the wall, I say rubbish because if he had today’s revenues we would be in the Champions league every year!

previous post: Newcastle Star Likely To Leave This Summer