Former Newcastle Coach Surprisingly Sacked By Leicester City

In what is really a surprise move, Leicester City have tonight fired former Newcastle coach Nigel Pearson – their manager – who seemed to pull off a miracle to save Leicester with an unbelievable run in the final quarter of the season that kept Leicester in the Premier League and they even finished above Newcastle in the league.

The Foxes won an amazing seven of their final nine games of the season and got 22 points from those games,  including a final game of the season 5-1 home win over relegated QPR.

That was 9 points more than Newcastle got in the final 19 league games of the season, and dare we say it – Leicester also beat us 1-0 in the FA Cup in early January.

nigel pearson and john carver

Nigel Pearson with John Carver earlier this year
Leicester hammered us 3-0

Nigel is 51 years old and had already made three new signings this summer, but was told via a phone call with Vice-Chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha tonight that he was fired.

This is the statement Leicester have released:

Leicester City Football Club has today Tuesday relieved its First Team Manager, Nigel Pearson, of his duties.

The Board of Directors recognizes the success Nigel has helped to bring to Leicester City during his two spells in charge of the Club, particularly during the last three and a half years.

However, it has become clear to the Club that fundamental differences in perspective exist between us. Regrettably, the Club believes that the working relationship between Nigel and the Board is no longer viable.

Leicester City’s owners, Vichai and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, and the Board of Directors would like to place on record their thanks to Nigel for the considerable contribution he has made during his time with the Club and wish him well in the future.

Khun Vichai and Khun Top remain wholly committed to the Club’s long-term development and to on going investment in a squad that will continue to be competitive in the Premier League.

We trust that the Club’s supporters will recognize that the owners have always acted with the best interests of the Club at heart and with the Club’s long-term future as their greatest priority.

Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh will take charge of first team duties while the Club begins its recruitment of a new manager. There will be no further comment until this process has concluded.

Pearson will get compensation of around £1M from the Thai owners.

Nigel was previously at Leicester from 2008 to 2010,  and is said to be completely shocked at the decision, and Leicester were the only promoted side from last season to survive in the Premier League with Burnley and QPR being relegated.

Nigel is controversial,  and had a few well reported confrontations with fans, journalists and players last season.

Only two weeks ago his young son James, who was also at the club,  was fired for insulting prostitutes in Thailand while filming them.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:48 PM

I would like to add that I do think a factor in the blogs decline is due to the club itself.

There really is little left to debate these days.

Ashleys NUFC has not been a sporting one, or one that is easy to support. That comment isn’t to blame Ashley, the subject is well covered, but since his arrival and his decision making / appointing, it’s been a steady decline.

Then you add the WUM’s etc and it just gets silly.

I for one would love to be able to get back to normal fan blogging, but honestly, the idea of putting up my starting 11 that I think will win us a game is a distant memory.

Forget signings this summer, I still am waiting to be able to feel some connection with our club again and to feel like they actually give a damn.

“We don’t demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries”

That banner really did sum things up for me. The only think I might tweak would be “club” for “team”.

• optimistic prime

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Check out the photo above.

Carr and Pearson, dream team or what?

• Ibizatoon

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:50 PM

On thread…I do hope this is why the club have been waiting to announce McLarens backroom staff.

We’re getting Pearson in! 7 wins out of 9, much better than the best manager in the league managed…he has to be decent….and cheap.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Will there be jelly and everything this time? Will there? I need to know because there was supposed to be last time. We only got balloons 😉

• Belfast

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM

No Ice cream Skunki?

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Belfast I don` t want to ask too much. Jelly would be a start. And a freddo.

• JamesToon

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Where the fcuk is the announcement of the coaching staff….

• Belfast

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Carver looks clueless as per usual and Nigel looks shifty and weird as per usual.

Could work.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Pearson as well Ibiza you are pushing the boat out

• Belfast

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:56 PM

I’d take a freddo like steal one if needs be.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Actually theres something Im not sure about there. Johnny looks suspiciously happy to get a cuddle off Nige.

😐

• optimistic prime

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Pearson mate, you got anymore of those dodgy certificates for sale?

On that note, how did carver pass his coaching badges if he answered every question on the test “I knew SBR ya kna”

• WWSBRD

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Ibiza
    I can only speak for myself in terms of commenting but what u say is not untrue I don’t go to games anymore and I don’t drop everything to see our games which makes it a struggle to discuss club related news but the comments section has very little draw compared to what it used to have imo

Equally I am not the same person who I was when I first popped in WWJBD and started spitting crap so that adds to it but if i came on here for the first time I wouldn’t comment and I doubt I’d return

On the thread I don’t think it’s all that surprising he got sacked, he fell out with the board often and everyone knew they no longer wanted him…he also kept getting himself in the papers for the wrong reasons. Pardew type reasons

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:59 PM

@Ibiza post 1,

I completely and whole heartedly agree. I used to be addicted to this block, posting every single day for a long time. I have fallen out of love with this club, mainly due to the shocking style of football.

We always had wind up merchants but they were drowned out by so many having genuine debates. The fact that people have little to discuss means they have a go at the WUM and fall into the trap. The more you talk to them the more appear. The only way to deal with them is to completely ignore them.

I would however add that Ed seems to push out more articles now than he used too, but that is only a slight factor.

Go on, give me an 11 you would like to see after the transfer window 😉

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM

13, WWSBRD,

We posted really regularly around about the same time. I remember agreeing with you on some issue regarding Cisse’s form, we were battling the masses! Anyway, you say you were a different person, can I guess you are in your early 20s now?

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Eds moderation laxity apart, I sympathise with him trying to keep the flow going, tbf the lack of any activity from the club for so long should have meant the blog going down to ten posts a day. Hats off to the regular contributors for making something out of nothing.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:04 PM

You already have. Pal. Enough.

• optimistic prime

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Should have missed out Anita in that name. The initials VD would have been appropriate.

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:08 PM

It’s true Tsunki, the regulars do make the most of it and actually are the main reason I return. Ed’s news is just regurgitated from every other source, just in one convenient place. Hats off to him for making it so easy to check the toon army’s recent news. I do tend to just scroll straight down to the comments and have a look at the general fans perspective on each breaking story.

• WWSBRD

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Tinman
    Haha I did enjoy the under dog opinions and I do recall agreeing with u around Cisse. Just past my mid 20s mate, as for my different person comment(which was a bit one tree hill I admit and regret now haha) I was a lot more passionate about the club then and a lot less cynical than I am now

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:11 PM

• Ibizatoon

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Yo…I think one of the big turning points was after we got 5th placed and back into Europe. The clubs fear and reluctance to try and push on left a lot of people thinking what’s the point?

We win a game and the excitement would soon wear off as it’d always come back to the same thing, where next?

I’ve tried to find my first ever post on here, but have given up. I do remember you being around though for sure. Long live the King 🙂

Tinman…It’s all such a mess. Heart breaking really.

Still, one day it’ll be over no doubt.

In the meantime, we do what we can – and no, it wont be a starting 11 based on players I have no faith that we’ll sign 🙂

• optimistic prime

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:12 PM

I think quite a lot of fans are cynical as the feel so disconnected from the club.

The only thing that would guarantee my attendance of SJP on first day of the season would be if Ashley was being beheaded in the centre circle at half time.

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:13 PM

WWSBRD,
    Haha okay, I guessed you had just finished uni or something and found that you had much less time on your hands! That is something which lead to me posting less.

I watched every single Toon game for the last 4 years, live, on tv, or streamed. Last season I watched about 10.

Although I was disappointed with the Brolly Wolly getting the job (I like many thought it was a great opportunity for real change) I can say I am far more optimistic about this season than last. Hopefully some signings will come through the door in the next few weeks.

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM

I used to hang on the words of Transfer Sage and the other one who’s name I have just forgot (he seemed to have the real info, but less posts).

I also loved niafron’s insight into Ben Arfa and the French market in general when we were still all excited about that recruitment plan.

You never know, Steve-o might send us on a mazy cup run, I’m sure going to Wembley would lift some spirits…

• Ibizatoon

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Yo…Not sure why, but I thought you were older. Not as old as Jesper mind…no one’s THAT old. Oh the good ole days 🙂

TFL…Probably makes sense to all parties (apart from some fans maybe). Sammy isn’t likely to get a move to a bigger club than Newcastle, so it keeps his options open. Newcastle now have a chance to recoup a fee for him, as he was out of contract and there is chance he might turn out okay. I’m not convinced yet, but there have been flashes. I know the way he runs is somewhat ungainly, but there’s something in him. Mind, same was said about wor Shola.

Tsunki…You haven’t even lasted 24 hours mate. Poor form – what sort of leading by example is this?

• will die for the toon army

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Am going to miss him

• Belfast

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:19 PM

I was a sensible poster once.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Ibiza

Sammy is good in fits and starts

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Ibiza, TFL,

It’s interesting on Sammy. I played with him a few times when I was younger and he wasn’t even in the top 3 players in the team. He mainly got into Newcastle thanks to Shola. My friend who was always far better than Sammy has just signed a deal with Blackpool, honestly don’t think Sammy will look out of place in Championship or League 1. He won’t make it in the Premier League.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Ashley can never rip my heart out of NUFC.

• WWSBRD

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Ibiza
    True certainly hurt a lot of fans the post 5th season, I think a lot saw Ashley’s true intentions then but people kept coming back to here maybe when Ashley leaves people will come back but maybe to a different blog? Who knows

Haha I don’t think I was around that much earlier than urself, think I started posting when Carroll was sold…be damned if I look for my first comment haha

Tinman
    Ur not wrong mate I was in uni at the time and am not anymore mores the pity but I did continue to make time to comment while busy which I don’t bother with now

Matches wise I find half the time I just can’t be bothered to watch NUFC play I don’t get joy from it anymore. As for McClaren am ok with his appointment not excited but I think he’s a huge step up from Pardew, once I see what team we will be watching next season maybe my black and white side will resurface

Must admit our reported new assistant manager is exciting

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:25 PM

will die,

I think most people are in the same boat. In this marriage we are having problems with passion in the bedroom, but the love is still there. If she comes in wearing some slinky red underwear then I’m sure most fans will be back to where they were.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Tinman…I am in danger of sounding like a serious negger here.

What you just said is, for me, typical of the Ashley reign.

Starve the fans of hope, throw them some old crumbs and watch them gobble them up gleefully.

A few months ago very few would entertain the idea of McLaren. A few months of the Carver experience, near relegation, etc, etc, and suddenly people are somewhat optimistic with McLaren.

It’s not really us being happy with what the club are doing, just being grateful that it’s not quite as bad as it could be.

Bottom line for me is that due to the negligence of the board, this summer always needed to have a serious shake up. It was always on the cards. That can and seems to be getting dressed up as ambition.

The real proof is further down the line IMO. We’ve been here before, seen it look like it could work, only for, well, you know, no point going over it again.

This is the price you pay for treating the fans like cr*p.

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:27 PM

WW,

Yes the whole coaching team seems to be getting an upgrade. That could get us playing some decent football at least. Who knows, maybe we’ll even get 4 or 5 from corners next season 😉

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Those posts from VAD are the vilest, most offensive posts I’ve seen on here. If this sad individual is UK based, I’d look to report him to the police.

Thank you Belfast for putting other bloggers right.

• WWSBRD

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Ibiza
    Wise old head I have eh? alas though I am just a spritely upstart u might say

I tend to avoid asking ages on here though don’t want it to cloud my judgement, which I assume many will now in regards to my posts haha I will be met with “what do u know ur a kid” when I disagree with people now THANKS TINMAN

• Ibizatoon

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:32 PM

If we’re going to liken this to a relationship, are we saying that the club has merely let itself go for a little while, not made the effort to keep the spark alive? Personally, I’m more of the thinking that it’s been out and about, dragging the family name through the mud and back, treating fellow family members with a complete lack of decency.

Not so sure some nice new lingerie will fix this one for me tbh.

Anyway, early start for me tomorrow. Thanks for the chat one and all.

P.S. Not sure what you were, but sensible was never part of it.

• Tinman

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Ibiza,

Don’t get me wrong, I am still firmly anti Ashley. I used to respect what he was doing financially, but feel I probably had the wool pulled over my eyes. You’re right, the shake up was 100% needed, so we shouldn’t get too excited.
    I get a little annoyed with myself when I start to feel optimistic, when we get linked with someone or when we bring in a promising coach etc. It’s hard not to still get a little optimistic. That’s why Ashley has got away with it so long here, it’s so easy to make the fans feel at least a little optimistic around here.