The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Enter Race For Exciting Argentine Winger

2:00 pm, Tuesday, June 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 114 Comments

Football site TMW are reporting that Newcastle are now after 20 year-old top Monaco winger Lucas  Ocampos.

Newcastle have been scouting Monaco this year – and we have been interested in their Algerian International center-back Aymen Abdennour – but maybe we have also been watching their 20 year-old Argentine winger – who played 26 times with four goals for Monaco last season.

Lucas Ocampos -AS-Monaco-555724

Lucas Ocampos – in action for Monaco

Since signing on from River Player three years ago, he’s played 99 times for Monaco with 15 goals and 8 assists, and he’s an exciting young player who turned down Chelsea three years ago to sign on at Monaco.

He was extremely well thought of three years ago, with his price tag being a massive €15M – about £10.5M – and the fee being quoted for him now is €12M – which is around £8.5M.

While at his home town club River Plate,  whom he left when he was only 17 – he played 21 times with 3 goals.

There are a number of top clubs after the 20 year-old including Manchester United, so he’s in demand – but Newcastle are the latest club to enter the chase for the youngster.

Maybe a plus for Newcastle is that he would get first team football immediately at Newcastle.

Italian clubs Fiorentina and AS Roma are also after him,  and it will depend on what wages Newcastle can offer the winger, but Newcastle are not exactly short of money these days.

Lucas stands 6″2″tall – so they make them big these days in Argentina – it’s those Argentine hamburgers I tell you.

In February of this year Monaco sent Ocampos out on loan to Marseilles for the rest of the season,  and he played 14 games with two goals and two assists.

Newcastle can point to young striker Ayoze Perez last summer, who came straight into the Newcastle side to play 39 first team games for u with 7 Premier League goals.

Also new head coach Steve McClaren is very good at bringing players through – so Newcastle do have some advantages in their bid to sign this talented youngster.

There was news this morning that Newcastle have put bids in for three players in the last few days – so maybe this is one of the players we are now after?

Hope so.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

114 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Same old same old

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Well,another winger linked. Looks good for our cbs and cfs doesnt it?

• 3 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM

So many contradicting papers it does my heed in!!

• 4 N1CK06 // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Ed, wouldn’t it be easier posting articles about all the players we haven’t been linked with?

• 5 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Don’t know much about this kid is he any good?

• 6 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM

What you mean? Our club loves hiring managers that play players out of position, do you not think these wingers would play well in CB? 😉

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM

That article about the strikers…. its all ‘may’ ‘ifs’ and possiblies. Wouldnt read too much into most of that. The only thing i would be inclined to believe would be any reference to “too much money” because of sponge belly tight pockets.

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Good point!

• 9 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM

TFL@6 previous)

It is possible, that rather like my ma, Ashley thinks he has worked wonders by bringing home something no-one else wanted…not even us, until we got him.
    I think McClaren, former head supervisor at the England Football Company, is meant to be the horse that will be bolted to the cart.

I think we will sign players……but nothing like the splurge that so many claimed Ashley has been carefully tending his piggy bank for.

• 10 armchair fan // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Top drawer player on FM

Would be happy to see him here.

• 11 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:13 PM

‘As for gambling, it may already be in his head that he has just about cracked the relegation issue for next season with his amazing coup in fighting off nobody for McClaren’s signature.’

Absolutely brilliant BandB haha.

• 12 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM

We are sure being linked with a lot of players today….

It reminds me that journalist from The Sun last week saying they’d booted the preferred media partner arrangement because all the club did was feed them lines about targets who it would later emerge the club had made no efforts or enquiries to sign.

• 13 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Il tell you what, I might have to come off this at the minute it is way too hot to be inside. I’m bloody roasting guys.

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM

“Newcastle fight off nobody to secure signature of McClaren”

I would have loved to see that printed in the national media. Class.

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM

“I’m roasting guys”. Ewwwwwww

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Sorry,just a joke. Couldn’t resist 😀

• 17 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:22 PM

You are so right BandB

• 18 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM

“Newcastle fight off nobody for signature of (insert player or coach name here)’

Could be the story of the summer.

• 19 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM

The story of the last 8 years, even?

• 20 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Another free we can’t afford!!!

• 21 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Lmao, I had no idea it looked like that haha, maybe you just have a dirty mind??

I shall never do that again haha.

• 22 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:28 PM

That sums up Newcastle perfectly, such a shame!!

• 23 Jib // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:28 PM

I think Joel Matip and Charlie Austin purchased
    and Marco van Ginkel loaned are in the bag.
    Mijneer van Ginkel wants to stay on Chelseas books but needs a season in the Prem.
    I think Sissoko and Tiote will be used as makeweights in further deals and now there is talk of Cisse following Ba to China.

• 24 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Is it hot down there, Burnley?

The daffs aren’t out up here.

• 25 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Are you in cloud cuckoo land?

• 26 Jib // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:32 PM

TfL we’ve pulled out the Villa chase cos we have got Matip.
    I think Das Bost was just McClaren screwing with Wolfsburgs heads , there are folk there SM really dislikes.

• 27 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Not entirely sure if it is hot outside, but in my room(attic) it is just too hot. My guess is it will be pretty hot outside though. Hate my room, either really hot or really cold. Shame it’s not warm up there?

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Sitting outside for my break in Cramlington. It’s a belter of a day.

• 29 ronjohno // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Not a hope in hell – as usual.
    Toon theme song should be MAYBE TOMORROW.

Can you imagine any seeing Charnley face to face and for one minute thinking “I want to be here”. The man looks totally inept and completely out of his depth.

• 30 JDdubai // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Think Ayew may have been a possibility but it would be either him or Thauvin, not both. This abenndour(?) was always out of our league, just look at the teams in for him, think Mitrovic will be the same.

The moment i see Austin, Matip, Van Ginkel or Thauvin transfer elsewhere then i agree we are royally in the cack, until then i will cling onto the hope that the club will deliver and hope that we are waiting until July to finalise things

is it a new financial year that starts in July? If so then that will be my reasoning!

• 31 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:34 PM

It is actually warm here, but the sea breeze means a fleece is never more than five minutes away.

• 32 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM

That’s a decent guess on the Bas Dost situation however that would be extremely unprofessional of Steve McClaren! Mind you, we do seem to lack a lot of class in our heirarchy, but I doubt your speculation.

• 33 expatmag // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM

You poor poms wouldnt know what summer heat is.

You will be dropping like flies if the temperature hits 20 degrees C……

Thats a winters day for us Melburnians……..

• 34 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:38 PM

That’s true.

The only time I have ever been completely brown was after my sons’ little accident last week.

• 35 expatmag // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Dear me. Still changing teenagers nappies……

• 36 JDdubai // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM

I’ll trade hou weather at ghe mo expat….

• 37 JDdubai // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Really should have checked that.

Meant to say id trade you weather at the mo expat.

• 38 expatmag // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM

It is winter here in Melbourne mate and we are only getting tops of 14 or 15 degrees. However, our summers are getting hotter and we regularly get temps in the low to mid 40s. Much like what you are getting now.

• 39 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM

i dreamt that we had Matip and Vlaar in defence with Austin and Mitrovic upfront…

too bad it was just a dream..

• 40 N1CK06 // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Reading the previous article it really seems to me the way it’s written suggests the cynicism is uncalled for. What the…?

Hard to believe a 30% drop in ST sales? Expecting >50,000 first home game? Why ignore all the facts? Why pretend everything is fine and dandy?

The only thing that surprises me is that 70% of fans have given the fat man their money for STs. I hope these fans are not going to bend over, lube up, and take another raping for the 8th year in a row… but all fans can do is hope. What use is hope when we still have zero signings, and a business for a football club?

• 41 expatmag // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM

You should know better than that……lol

• 42 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM

I thought dost’s chairman told us where to go

I have been watching back on some german games and dost is awful no thanks

• 43 expatmag // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM

If the fatman doesnt deliver come Southampton, cue mass protests again at this sorry excuse for a football club.

• 44 expatmag // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Anyone who scores a goal a game in the bundesliga certainly cannot be called awful.

• 45 will die for the toon army // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM

All I know we need is a CB CM LF and FOWARD. And if we get those and keep Cisse and Tiote will b ok.

• 46 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Temps here are expected to reach 30 in some parts of the country. Highs of 28 where i live. I love warm weather.

• 47 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM

According to get france football Marseille are trying to get Cabella on loan!!!

• 48 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:56 PM

expat he scores yes but does sod all else, doesn’t add anything to help the team

• 49 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM

instead of focusing on who we dont have (all the failed bids) why not focus on one the cards up charnleys sleeve.

Gouf- did nothing last year, so any positive contribution is like new signing. who needs wijnaldum(who was NEVER coming here, lol)

• 50 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Well some journals are being lazy there, just repeating a story from about a week ago lol

• 51 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 2:59 PM

pmsl YMFB typical

• 52 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:01 PM

I’m afraid Ed has already played the De Jong, Aarons, Lascelles and Darlow should be counted as new signings card.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:02 PM

I think some of you folk must have stumbled upon Penfolds latest mistake without knowing it.
    Talk from Mr Tubbs about getting the horse bolted to the cart caused me to explore further and voila:-

• 54 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Players that need to go to make up space..

• 55 will die for the toon army // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Backroom staff

• 56 N1CK06 // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I’d definitely be in favour of protests at the Southampton game if fat man doesn’t deliver.

If the 30% reduction of ST sales is true, then it says to me that well over 15000 fans who would’ve previously attended SJP will be available to gather in their masses outside the stadium. Now THAT would be something for the papers, and Ashley and SDs reputation!

• 57 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Ashley doesn’t seem to realise what he has done with that interview, if he doesn’t live up to his words of wisdom then I believe action must take place, and it duly will I believe. He still has time but going about things seemingly business as usual is definitely not helping his cause…

• 58 martoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:20 PM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley – I used to live in Nelson and work in Burnley – which part are you in?

• 59 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I think he knows exactly.

Before the interview polls were showing 90 per cent discontent with Ashley’s running of the club.

A few quick words, and they were 90 per cent positive overnight.

Before McClaren was signed, polls were up to 90 per cent negative about him. Afterwards, they immediately became 90 per cent positive.

Ashley knows exactly how little it takes to get us leaping up and down waving our knickers in the air.

Watch what happens when the back room team is announced,

It will be optimism city.

• 60 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Barnoldswick fella 🙂

• 61 N1CK06 // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM

We can hope (there’s that word again) Ashley has underestimated the gullibility of the fans, and with the news of 30% drop in ST sales he must be very cautious about what he does (or doesn’t do) next.

Perhaps he will realise fans will give him no other option but to walk the walk, even if he didn’t originally plan to after he talked the talk.

• 62 will die for the toon army // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:22 PM

We need to offload 8 players to make room for 5

• 63 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Aye, he does play us well.

But what happens if there are a lack of signings, were not that fickle are we?

• 64 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Get this…
    Serie A – Gervinho ‘demanded private beach and helicopter’ to move to Al Jazira.

Wonder what players demands are to move to the TOON???

• 65 BandB // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM

See how much emphasis and anticipation there is from fans about offloading people…even when we know they may not be replaced?

This is a fan base that has got so messed up that it celebrates selling people like other fans celebrate signing them.

• 66 martoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley @60 Ah, Barlick 🙂

• 67 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:42 PM

I know what you mean, but with the amount of season tickets sold at the minute it does look like the fans are winning. I think Ashley made a mistake with that interview as NICK rightly said.

YES!! Wasn’t sure if you would have been familiar with that particular nickname haha.

• 68 SanD // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Done deal

• 69 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM

It’s gone a bit quiet on here, i can’t for the life of me think of anything new to discuss haha! Guessing that’s everyone else’s problem aswell. What would any of you guys teams be vs Gateshead?

• 70 kevymartins // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:11 PM

People on here are always saying no thanks on that player or I wouldn’t pay that for this player. Really do you even support the toon? We take what we can get if we went out and spent £30m on Hesky I would be happy. Getting anybody is better than getting nobody. Regardless of how much we pay.

• 71 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM

That’s the sort of thinking the board did when signing Ferreya.

• 72 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM

• 73 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Kevy, I disagree, and the part where you question our support for the toon is really uncalled for.

Players take up space, if we go out and sign loads of below average players, then where is the space for the players needed to improve our team?

It’s pointless getting loads of players if they aren’t going to increase our chances of winning games. Yes, we need to sign players, but in my opinion they need to have a positive impact on the team, players that help create a competition for places or go straight into our squad are what we need. We would be going backwards if you we’re the owner.

Oh, and Heskey? No thanks… 🙂

• 74 kevymartins // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Optimistic who knows how ferrerya could have done if given his chance. That’s another thing hopefully Mcclaren isn’t like Pardew man was a retard Mbiwa was said to be a great talent arsenal were suppost to be all over him but he came here and pardew played williamson over him. Look at colocinni had a shit first season but came good because he had his chance

• 75 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Could you really not think of a better word? That’s a sensitive issue for some people.

• 76 kevymartins // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:26 PM

@youngmagpiefromburnley that was maby a bit to much but let me get my point across people are saying aww no thanks on bas dost and a lot more players we have been linked with. Serious like? He would walk into our starting 11 the man is a beast. Also my other point why do people say aww I wouldn’t pay that for him? I would pay anything for anybody and take what we can get what does it matter to us fans what we pay? It’s about time we started acting like Liverpool and start firing the funds about after all we have been generating it. If you were offered Lord benthner for £7m would you take him? Most people would say no even thought he is better than rivière etc

• 77 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM

I’d like to think Mclaren is nothing like Pardew, god forbid.

I think colo is shite, always have always will. He’s never been any good, just the best of a abbismal bunch. He’d be dropped like a hot potato from 95% of EPL teams. He’d have been out the door quicker than carver if I had my say.

• 78 toonincheek // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:32 PM

kevy –
    I think we have to assume that Pardew and Carver,
    despite their shortcomings, did see enough of Ferreyra
    in training to know he wasn’t even good enough for
    the bench.

• 79 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM

I understand your point, I agree on Dost aswell, but people have different opinions on players due to either watching them play or looking at there price.

Yes, as fans finance shouldn’t really concern us, but this is Newcastle. Our transfer kitty could be inbetween £0-60 but will we ever know? We have absolutely no idea how much Newcastle are willing to spend however if we judge it on the last 8 years then im pretty sure I have a good idea. Spending what? £25 million on Dost? That could be our whole money spent on one player. Konoplyanka, what should we pay 100k in wages when we can get two or three players who can improve our team for that much.

I would love for us to spend a lot of money but in reality we could only have a limited amount this season so being sceptical on certain players is not unwarranted.

• 80 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM

The only reason people mention a price or say I wouldn’t pay that is because Ashley is a tight Cnut.

We all know it’ll more than likely be a pittance we spend, so people are worried we’ll pay over the top for dross.

Personally I’d rather not have signed quite a few players Ashley has over last 8yrs, most have been so poor we wouldn’t have missed them.

• 81 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:35 PM

£60 that’s ambitious YMPB lol

• 82 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Haha, caught me in an optimistic mood!! But seriously, that’s what some papers reported, most likely rubbish though.

• 83 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM

£60 won’t buy matip’s right foot lol

• 84 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Afternoon all,

So, it is the eve of the transfer window, has the excitement set in yet?

YoungMag…I think the joke was the lack of an “m” as in Million.

Although, I’m sure Ashley would be glad if he could get away with 60 quid.

• 85 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Oh lord haha, didn’t realise your post was sarcastic until i realised what I put. Obviously I meant £0-60 million. There we go. 😀

• 86 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Glad to see someone on my level lol

• 87 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Yep, just realised. I’m very slow today I’m not going to lie. The heat is draining me haha, I imagine its nothing compared to where you’re at?

• 88 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:45 PM

TFL…I’m not sure you should take too much positive from being on a similar level to me 🙂

• 89 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:50 PM

haha Ibiza

• 90 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:50 PM

YoungMag…I’m not one to wind fellow bloggers up with an Ibiza weather update, but seeing as you asked….it’s bloody hot 🙂

Right – someone steer in me the right direction – football discussion – what we got? I guess nothing new has actually happened yet?

• 91 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I know, but I can only imagine the heat up there.

Football talk, ermm, nothing concrete as usuall. The only thing close to being confirmed is the Cathro appointment, but I imagine you already knew about that. Getting linked to more new players and that’s about it to be honest. Same old. But I do expect an announcement either later today or tomorrow!

• 92 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Ibiza its 33c here in Leeds

• 93 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM

28 degrees here.

• 94 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM

I’ll be happy to steer you in the right direction Ibiza mate. It’s been gloom and doom on here. Threats to unleash the puppies of war etc. etc. I keep telling this lot that Mike has no money. There is some cheese available for transfers and possibly we can find some biscuits somewhere in the tea room but that’s it. It’s hot here in Western Canada as well mate.

• 95 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM

YoungMag…Thanks for trying 🙂

I have read about the Cathro appointment. Had no prior knowledge of him, but from what I’ve read, seems to be good. Although, I do still have big question marks over McLaren. Being better than Carver isn’t much of a credential and certainly not anything to get excited about.

Still, over the years, one of my main points about Pardew, was that if the club insisted on sticking with him, then they should support him with a proper set of coaches.

We shall see I guess.

To be honest, recruitment is such a small part of what’s been my issue with the club. It clearlyl needs addressing, but it’s the detachment and the way the fans are treated as more of a nuisance than anything.

I just wish we weren’t only treated like the 12th man when it suit them.

• 96 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Ah, we’re doing specific temps….not sure what it is now, it said it was 39c at 6pm yesterday…fairly warm…

G2…Tell me, is gloom and doom any different that doom and gloom Good man for trying to get fans expectations in the right place. It’s not reasonable to expect Mike to find the money. I mean, he aleady saved us from doing a Leeds and provided a cart….what more do people want from the tat man?

• 97 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM

The Cathro appointment is very exciting. I’m almost beside myself with the news. Meanwhile on a separate front I am looking into bringing in some Romanian dancing poodles for the half time entertainment. I like Mitrovic but he’s told me personally that he doesn’t need any more cheese and biscuits. We’ll have to try something else to bring him in. It’s hard to keep up the wild enthusiasm I started the week with. I thought to myself “Hmmmm, loads of top players are bound to want to come for very low bids now that we have Cathro.” Now I’m not so sure. Harrumph. Any good news Ibiza?

• 98 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Vurn…I could do a day or two of that right now. Mind, anymore than that and I’d start whinging.

G2…Does this good news need to be recent news? If so, then no, all good news is currently pending.

• 99 stuart no9 // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Isn’t it great we are bidding for all these stars who are going to turn us into a force again ? . With the talent heading to the toon and with Mr SM at the helm , who would argue a top 6 spot is achievable ? However , if like many NUFC fans around the world who know a thing or 2 about the club feel another disaster is looming and cannot see past a defeat against Southampton , you may get decide to put a few quid on being in the 2nd tier next season .

• 100 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:13 PM

I believe we can get top, top money for Obertan. Here’s my assessment of him:
    Since coming to the Toon in 2011 Gabriel Obertan has a very respectable 2 goals in 53 appearances. After having a very nasty time of it with foot fungus his contributions to the club have been spectacular. But at the ripe old age of 26 he now wants new challenges. The club (well Mike really) feel that the starting bids should begin at around 15M pounds. We expect a very exciting time of it until Gabby picks the lucky winner.

• 101 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Seriously you should be on stage or write a book, you’d be a best seller

• 102 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Stuart 9…Not convinced then? 🙂

I’m of the thinking they will do enough this year to not be in the relegation mix. As it stands, I think we’re starting the next cycle. I expect some decent (ish) signings and some fillers. Think back to the Cabaye, Ba, Santon, etc summer.

Then we can watch it all dwindle away again.

Vurnon…Did he really steady the ship or did he simply refuse to spend money?

• 103 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Ashley steadied the ship, I’d say he’s scuttled it.

• 104 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM

And equally spectacular. Here’s the assessment on Mike Williamson:
    Mike “Willo” Williamson is a brilliant defender currently playing for Newcastle United. Not the quickest defender in the world but definitely has 2 left feet to match the best of them. After being the Toon target man for 4 years now he has a very respectable 1 goal in 150 appearances. Newcastle have made it very clear that it would be very difficult to let this indispensable player leave but would entertain bids in the 10-15 M pound range.

• 105 ToonarmyFromHongKong // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM

The main reason for our transfer plan is the board wont pay the price for the players which above they valued. They run the club like a trading company and it cant work in football world .

It is a joke that they want to buy a player who proved but in lower price?? yes , you can find some gem like cabaye but not for someone already proved like dost/austin.

• 106 Noel Worst // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:20 PM

I’m going for a meal with an agent friend tomorrow evening, deals mainly with clients from Yorkshire clubs and up the east coast, but the agency he works for are active throughout Europe. See if I can prise any nuggets of info out of him after he’s had a few 🙂

• 107 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Ta TFL mate. I am actually working on a book. It’s been slow going lately. I’ve been told I spend too much time on here annoying you lot. Harrumph.

• 108 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM

hahaha G2

• 109 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Vurnon…You must appreciate that’s a juicy topic.

“Better financial footing” is a very open term.

What we are is profitable. On the face of it, he’s done a good job. Have a little poke about, and really, it’s not such a great achievment at all considering the increased TV money and our lack of spending.

That’s not to say this pot of profit can’t be put to good use or take us forward now.

• 110 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Exhausted now. Slumped over waiting for that first signing. Strong urge to put on thong of gloom. No! No I say! We must fight on! Huzzah!!!!

• 111 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Well, I’m off for a bit. Enjoy your chuckles lads.

• 112 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Is it juicy Ibiza? Or is it pithy? And I’m not just taking the pith!!! Sorry developing a bit of a lisp there. I feel the whole financial situation is a bit of a red herring. We have loads of money. It’s in the special account. You know the one we found out about in the spring? The one that Lee doesn’t have access to? Yes that’s it. Harrumph.

• 113 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Come on Mike, announce the coaching staff!! Instead of delaying everything as usual.

• 114 GeordieTwo // Jun 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM