The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Move For Senegal International Midfielder

10:26 pm, Tuesday, June 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

There were reports earlier today that Newcastle were interested in signing 20 year-old top Monaco winger Lucas Ocampos, but news coming in tonight is that the Argentine may have signed for Marseilles,  where he spent the second half of last season on loan.

If that’s true then maybe that will open up the way for Newcastle to sign Florian Thauvin, and also news tonight from Italy that Newcastle are interested in Lille midfielder Idrissa Gueye, the Senegal International midfielder.

Idriss Gueye

Idrissa Gueye – Lille and Senegal International midfielder

The same outlet that reported Ocampos – TMW – is now reporting that Newcastle are interested in signing 25 year-old Gueye,  who joined Lille back in 2010 and plays in central midfield.

Newcastle have never replaced Yohan Cabaye, who is rumored tonight to be joining Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace.

Maybe the Senegal man is finally a replacement for Cabaye, who we signed from Lille back in the summer of 2011 for €5M – the release clause in his contract.

The other club said to be interested in Gueye is Swansea, and we haven’t done well when we have gone head to head with the south Wales club.

Only a couple of weeks ago they persuaded Marseilles free agent Andre Ayew to join them and two years ago they were willing to pay £12M for Wilfried Bony from Vitesse, when Newcastle balked at the price.

So Swansea have proved to be more ambitious and more decisive than the Magpies in the past.

This is the first time we have been linked with Gueye who has played 176 games for Lille with 6 goals and 5 assists and has played 23 times for Senegal.

He is valued at around £5M on, stands 5’9″tall and is right footed.

Gueye also played for Senegal in the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 MacToon // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:30 PM

OoOoO, it’s nearly here guys and gals, it’s really happening…we’re making moves.

Not sure if i’ll get any sleep tonight.

• 3 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:31 PM

I’m looking foward to tomorrow, it should be emotional 😉

I expect to see loads of NUFC fans eager in anticipation like kids on Xmas morning.
    Only for the Grinch (Ashley) to steal their dreams.

Kleenex will be like gold dust

• 4 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Tomorrow will be another same old same old

• 5 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:34 PM

I know that, you know that.
    1000’s still have the wool firmly over their eyes!

• 6 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM

OP…But will there be tears? Or will it be people grateful for anything? Making excuses on the clubs behalf?

“I mean – the window has just opened….give them a chance”

Ugh, this is going to be a long summer.

• 7 Belfast // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Ed the blog comments section is dying. Never mind though.

• 8 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:37 PM

true mate true

Sorry I have a little winf

Jib from last thread
    drop the tough guy act Google man it doesn’t become you

• 9 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:39 PM

You are right Belfast

• 10 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:39 PM

TFL…You should never apologise to anyone for the size of your winf.

Should you?

Wait, maybe you should.

• 11 WWSBRD // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Good post. I’ve been on this blog for awhile now and it’s noticeable those who I used to chat with regularly about NUFC have all but gone, granted there are a few good soldiers struggling through but they are dwindling

Am not innocent of that either I left the blog for awhile only recently came back but the comments are beginning to take its toll on my easy going nature again which will result in me not bothering anymore, if the blog were policed better the quality of the site would vastly improve but I don’t think that’s likely to happen

• 12 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Have you tried winf surfing? lol

• 13 Belfast // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:42 PM

He’s struck in that Willy wonka pose daydreaming of new articles

• 14 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Same old same old.

There’ll be one or two half decent signings with several of the usual dross.

There’ll be the apologists but they’ll be massively out numbered by the fans who’ve had enough.

I want Ashley out and I beleive his failure in this transfer window would be the fuel to fire the protests to another level.

Ashley ooooooooooot

• 15 WWSBRD // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:44 PM

On another note someone posted a email conversation between them and Ed about the comments section which had a rather unsatisfactory conclusion which rather backed up the idea that nothing will change on here

• 16 Tsunki // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Jib I` m really letting myself down even replying but thanks for posting that. No, really. Thanks.

• 17 blew // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:45 PM

176 games, 6 goals and 5 assists,
    a typical Graham Carr player.

• 18 Belfast // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Was that the time you left in a huff because of me being labeled a sensible poster. I wonder where that guy went ?

• 19 optimistic prime // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Wolfsburg want £30m for Bas Dost lol

• 20 Ibizatoon // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:47 PM

I would like to add that I do think a factor in the blogs decline is due to the club itself.

There really is little left to debate these days.

Ashleys NUFC has not been a sporting one, or one that is easy to support. That comment isn’t to blame Ashley, the subject is well covered, but since his arrival and his decision making / appointing, it’s been a steady decline.

Then you add the WUM’s etc and it just gets silly.

I for one would love to be able to get back to normal fan blogging, but honestly, the idea of putting up my starting 11 that I think will win us a game is a distant memory.

Forget signings this summer, I still am waiting to be able to feel some connection with our club again and to feel like they actually give a damn.

“We don’t demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries”

That banner really did sum things up for me. The only think I might tweak would be “club” for “team”.

• 21 Tsunki // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Will there be jelly and everything this time? Will there? I need to know because there was supposed to be last time. We only got balloons 😉

• 22 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 30, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Do we need Byram if we have Janmaat?

• 23 will die for the toon army // Jun 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Box to Box Midfielder. we need a creative one who can pass that ball see a thru pass and shot from distance jst like Cabaye.

• 24 stingray // Jul 1, 2015 at 3:02 AM

If we are interested in a young African midfielder, I’d be going for Adama Traore, currently playing for Lille. I saw him play several times in the recent Fifa U20 world cup for Mali, where he won the honour of being named player of the tournament, and was well worth it. Still young, but a great prospect in the mould of Yaya Toure.

• 25 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 1, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Traore, according to the papers, is being chased by both Manchester clubs and Chelsea, with United favourites to sign him. I wouldn’t put my money on Charnley and co. snatching him out from under their noses….

• 26 geordiejohn // Jul 1, 2015 at 8:25 AM

if we bought him it would be another player lost to the African cup,so no point in buying him.

previous post: Newcastle Linked With Experienced English Winger