The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Still In For Top International Defender

9:34 am, Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 78 Comments

Abdelkader Jilani is the agent of Newcastle center-back target Aymen Abdennour, and he is doing his best to get as many clubs in Europe interested in his client as possible this summer, so there can be an auction – the fee goes up – and Jilani looks to get a huge pay-day for himself.

Sorry – I should have said  he is looking to get a very good deal for his client.

Aymen Abdennour +Monaco+v+Arsenal+ZTlKTNHwjWJl

Aymen Abdennour – lots of clubs interested.

Jilani’s latest pronouncements are to Italian site Calciomercato about a player Newcastle have supposed to bid around £12M for.

Here’s what he has said:

“Abdennour is one of the best defenders on the European stage and it’s only natural he is admired.”

“There were some proposals from England and Spain, while in Italy there were only enquiries – so no official offer on the table or negotiations in progress.”

“At the moment he has a contract with Monaco, so anyone who wants him must speak to the Principality club. They deserve respect.”

“What I can say right now is there is nothing concrete with Italian clubs – Italy is an option, but the right offer must come in.”

Here’s a classic case of an agent trying to drum up interest in his client.

There’s no doubt that Abdennour is a very good player and it’s good that Newcastle have bid for him – if that news is true.

He had an excellent first full season for Monaco last term – but he is also very ambitious – more ambitious than the present day Newcastle.

And he already has Champions League football at Monaco, and has said more than once that he will only join a club that has Champions League football.

Jilani says that a number of top clubs are interested in him including Barcelona, Arsenal (you came them) and also some top Italian clubs, but that he prefers to go to England or Spain.

So unless one of the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea or Arsenal come in for him, we suppose Newcastle sill have some chance of signing him, if he decides he wants to come to the Premier League.

But it has to be an outside chance at best for the 33 times capped Algerian International.

And we are assuming that Lee Charnley is working his socks off to get some good players into the club over the next week or so.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

78 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Are they still in for him or anyone or is it just a lot of paper talk, blog talk.
    Most likely haven’t put in a bid for anyone.
    Has Ashley, Carr, Charmless and McLaren et al been seen

• 2 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Where’s all the players we’ve signed?

Xmas in July looks like it’s going to be a major let down, the windows been open 9hrs and 4mins and still no one 🙁

Someone show Charnley how to use the phone or send a e mail

• 3 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I don’t know if this has been shared already. The headline could have been wrote by Ashley or bishop

• 4 lloydie780 // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM

BEFORE YOU POST TFL why dont you stop coming up with irrelevant comments/pointless remarks, followed by a link to your website which is obviously failing as everytime i go on it there are 0 comments. Half the articles are made up/your own opinions and not those of fact or reported news. On top of that i think its a bit wrong to be pushing your blog on a successful blog by trying to entice people onto it constantly. I like people debating/chatting on here but your constant efforts to drag views into your pages do p**s me off. This is coming from a guy who never comments but has been reading the blog since 2008. please talk,please debate but please stop sending links to your website on here. Regards

• 5 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Just checked the official site – nothing new on it at all apart from tickets are available for the Gateshead game and that ST’s are now on general sale.
    They must be going to pull some ridiculous PR stunt.
    I really hope that there are some strong voices at the FF meeting on Monday evening and that some relevant questions are asked.
    They should refuse to accept “the board agreed” and delve further along the lines of “who originally came up with the idea” – they really need to probe further. Then we’ll see how open and transparent they really are.

• 6 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:48 AM

EPL players released

• 7 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM

If the fans forum is only made up of season ticket holders , won’t there be 1/3 missing ?

• 8 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I have been using this blog for donkeys, I follow the other blog which is nothing to do with me and use it as reference to add or start a conversation. I’ve explained my situation and I certainatly aren’t doing it again.

• 9 Slank // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM

optimistic prime

Granted the headline is rubbish but few would argue about the potential of the players described in the article perhaps with the exception of Sammy.

• 10 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM

The fact that season tickets are now on general sale in all areas of the ground has passed with surprisingly little comment.

It can often be cheaper not to have one. A one-year season ticket holder in the East Stand would have paid £710 for the privilege last season.

A member of the public attending on a match-by-match basis would have paid £615.
    That is on the basis that they would have been unable to attend the derby and the Liverpool game, but were present at all the other home games.

• 11 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:59 AM

That Sky list is from 28th May

• 12 lloydie780 // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM

TFL. Think its simple then, just dont bother posting links to that same site every article Ed types. Im sure people would check that website as often as you do if it was relevant or a good source. You have shown links so often im pretty sure people are aware it now exists.

• 13 expatmag // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Morning TUFF

Thank you for your advice but you, of all people, should know be better.

I am rarely influenced by people in any walk of life and with regard to posters on a blog, I tend to have convivial and courteous interaction unless provoked then I tend to ignore as best possible.

Carl or Ian Toon as you call him gas been respectful and friendly in the limited discussions I have had with him do there is no need for me to ignore or abuse just because others have been upset by him.

If it did occur in the future, then I will deal with it in my own way without involving others. Hope i have not offended you by this reply, old mate.

• 14 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Using google isn’t one of my key skills

• 15 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Why not just state the gist of the article without the link?

On topic, there is surely next to no chance of him coming in. If the price and competition isn’t scaring Charnley off, the actions of his agent will be.

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:03 AM

I think sense is the order of the day with tickets being selectively taken up on a match by match basis. Better not to be virtually obliged to attend a run like we had in the last ten games.

I know the st’s are reasonably cheap, but in many cases last year even if they were free they weren’t worth it.

• 17 mickalfas // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Surely we could have agreed something with Austin before royal ascot,his wedding ,now his honeymoon, like other clubs have done
    Pure speculation ,season ticket sales on the agenda !!

• 18 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:05 AM

I agree, I’d love to see a few of our kids make it. The everyone talks about Schteeeve there’s a chance they’ll get a chance.

It was only the headline I didn’t appreciate. It was more than likely picked just to wind the fans up a bit.

• 19 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:05 AM

I will do as I want, other people share links from other sources, the mag, sky sports etc.

• 20 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Training starts/started today so why have we not had news on the coaches

• 21 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM

“But I’ve already paid for my ticket and Ashley’s got my money, so what’s the point?’ was an argument put forward many times last season.

It appears there is a perfectly workable way to support the team and not the regime without putting yourself in this position.

• 22 Macas // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:08 AM

TFL – Your links are fine, not sure why people make such a big deal of it.

• 23 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Don’t bandy words with him
    Just tell him to do one

• 24 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM

• 25 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM

The season tickets is an interesting sideline this summer. Interesting to see how the club will handle it PR wise. I already thought the begging letter was a step too far and showed their hand, which is unusuak for NUFC. But they have been making increasingly erratic and reactive PR lately.

Surely it will come down to a stand – off for Chsrnley between sticking to a failing sporting but profitable model and continuing to see fan unrest and attendances slip.

Surely he realises there is no way to marry the two now. Maybe a few years ago there could have more of a compromise but it’s gone too far now.

• 26 lloydie780 // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM

TFL not everyone shares a link every article and not everyone shares a link to the same website everytime. Maybe try some other websites for links or some of relevance?

• 27 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM

BandB – looks like one ore two have done the sums and worked out that going match by match is cheaper. You may not get a ticket for the “big games” but apart from that why commit financially in these uncertain times when the quality of the product is not known.
    Shameful really – I was reading somewhere last season that Spurs had an ST waiting list of, and I’m sure the number quoted was over 40,000.
    Makes me wonder why they do not seem to grasp that if they were selling a quality product -they also would flog all their ST’s.

• 28 Jaybee // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Training about to start & no new faces. Just like past seasons.
    Ashley & Charnley seems to be doing nothing to keep their promise of new players.
    Just a ploy to get season ticket renewals.
    If no one is signed we are destined for the Championship.

• 29 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Check it out, I’m posting links to.

If you don’t want to read them, don’t read them, simples.

I like to look at others links, there’s sometimes a piece of info I might not have seen before.

I don’t read the NUFC digest ones as when I have looked theyre a copy and paste of a article I’ve already read on another site.

Ed seemingly isn’t bothered so no biggy

• 30 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM

I’ve told you my stance, I aren’t changing for you.
    end of.

• 31 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM

A good point
    There must be lot of fans who didn’t boycott because they had paid.
    Many now thinking “I’ll prolly go to all the games but if I need to I can make a protest AND save money”

• 32 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Season ticket sales also underpin arm-twisting measures like the membership scheme, which play on the notion of limited availability to screw significant sums out of supporters.

If there are significant numbers of unsold seats for the derby….does the club refuse to open the paying turnstiles?

• 33 cestriasteve // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I’m sick of reading about this link however there are a few points to note:

1. He isn’t coming to us, way out of our league, definitely champions league material

2. Where was our scouting network when he was starting to show the buds of a great centre half at Toulouse, scouted the wrong guy!!

• 34 expatmag // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM

You can always just ignore the links.

• 35 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM

cestria, no chance he’ll come but aside from Matip have we been linked to any other decent CB’s?

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Senor Tuff…because those running Newcastle are not sensible people!

• 37 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM

The season ticket situation is quite strange. The lad who wrote the original article said 30% of tickets weren’t sold.

Yesterday he wrote another which said the club was showing tickets that still hadn’t been renewed as already being sold. So there’s a very good chance there’ll be a lot less sold than 30%.

If you’re reading this and haven’t renewed, please check online to see if your ticket has been designated as sold.

• 38 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:18 AM

A lot less unsold

• 39 expatmag // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Totally agree. He is destined for a lot better than us, like 90% of the targets linked this summer so far.

• 40 musomag // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Krull and Sissoko not involved in first day of training

• 41 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM

That Dunk kid from Brighton has had rave reviews and we were linked early in June

• 42 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:23 AM

All I am suggesting is that we can afford to be a bit cannier in our interaction with the club without diluting our support.
    I think we could get a much better run club if we were just a bit less easy to please.
    Entering into one-sided agreements with the club when alternatives are available adds nothing to your commitment as a fan.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM

expat – no problems it is up to individuals to decide their posts/responses. However I would point out that your reasonings and stance is exactly how the abuse posters exist on here. – and dare I say has the sniff of “we’ll I do not care if he has abused anyone else he’s been alright with me”.
    This is the same complicity as the person who looks the other way when mischief is afoot.
    Upon you return to Tyneside you need to be kidnapped and re-educated that you should have no truck with the blog knackers and mischief makers. I may kidnap you if we meet up but be warned I will physically strip you of any red and white sporting clothes and seize and bin your Roker/Joker Park membership cards.

• 44 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Dunk is decent, It’s just a shame we are linked to many forwards but very few defenders, especially when our defence is horrific

• 45 lesh // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Hasn’t Dunk had a little brush with the law – although nothing came of it.

• 46 Graeme // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Yet another email from NUFC letting me know that I can have a season ticket – the best way to see my team – at very reasonable prices.
    Nowhere does it say that they are going to provide a team capable of competing in the Premier League or actively competing in the Cup Competitions!!!

I think I will keep my hard earned for when I need it. Yes, I may even go to a footy match and it might even be at SJP – doubtful though!!

• 47 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:30 AM

All these emails from NUFC seem like desperation to me

• 48 nomis_jade // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Sometimes, I hope that we really aren’t interested in any of these players at all! All that happens are prices get silly and we pull out of the deal. Personally I would take a closer look at some championship players. There are some good players in that league, and if you pick them up now and they do ok, then yr looking at an increased sell on value. I bet nobody thought there were any good Bournemouth players last year but after this season, I expect a few will be looking pretty decent. What do others think?

• 49 expatmag // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:32 AM

I would say at my age and having dealt with a few hard nosers in the past, I am pretty well versed in dealing with troublemakers. Maybe you need to ask yourself why a certain “friend” of yours has mysteriously disappeared. That alone will tell you that I dont always ignore troublemakers.

With regard to my trip home, that is in the balance at present as I am currently recovering from major surgery.

• 50 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Bit late to be holding a board meeting on transfers isn’t it?

• 51 Shot Bru // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:37 AM

From that Sky list of released EPL players.

Drogba as our first signing would be awesome for the club. It would not only inspire some of our current players..but we would have a player that has full on experience to pass onto the likes of Perez..

We have lacked experienced leaders and winners and Drogba is just that..

Sign him up for 1 him the going rate and he would attract other quality signings..

This is all assuming he hasn’t signed for some other club!

• 52 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:39 AM

expat – just sent you a quick email.

• 53 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Cardinal….. “Well, Michaelangelo, the Cistine Chapel is due to open in six weeks time. How are you getting on with that magnificent ceiling fresco we commissioned back in January? Nearly done?”

Michaelangelo…..”well, the team are having a meeting this afternoon to go through some colour charts we picked up from Homebase.”

• 54 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Great analogy you are right

• 55 ShirebrookToon // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM

More like home bargains for a colour chart. Homebase was out of there price range and couldn’t get it over the line

• 56 lloydie780 // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM

TFL….well played. Hats off

• 57 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:45 AM

jib now frantically checking Google to see who Michelangelo plays for.

• 58 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:47 AM

He plays for Heavens Eleven

• 59 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM

pmsl Tuff

• 60 ShirebrookToon // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Or the teenage mutant ninja turtle lol

• 61 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM

op – don’t give up the day job.

• 62 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Who is “Splinter”? Was he his last manager or something?

Morning all.

• 63 ShirebrookToon // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM

He was his coach and motivational speaker

• 64 optimistic prime // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM

I’d walk past the training ground with the dog today but it seems kind of pointless.

• 65 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Why is this being dubbed a “summit meeting?”

Wouldn’t “lost in the foothills” meeting be just as fair?

• 66 davetoon // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Google level = master

• 67 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Its because they are going to discuss “summit” but they are not sure what 😀

• 68 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Shot Bru
    Just the other day he rejected overtures from Olympique Marseilles saying he would only join a club that had a “project” whatever that is.

• 69 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Ping …:)

• 70 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Talking about the training ground – FF need to ask what’s going on. The previous reports last year was that modernisation was scheduled to start in May. Clearly nothing is going to happen now (short term).

• 71 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM

A board meeting to discuss progress is quite normal.

• 72 BandB // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM

The Northern Echo reported at the weekend the McClaren was hoping to be updated on Charnley’s progress early in the week, so it is a scheduled update rather than any kind of crisis meeting.

I wonder if there were any teachers there when school started this morning?

• 73 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:06 AM

We are 7/4 to sign Charlie Austin now and 7/4 to sign Bas Dost.
    I think bookies are taking the mickey

• 74 John Tudor // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM

just like fashley trying to generate cash thru the toon faithfull

• 75 Mr Magpie // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Think bookies are as much in the dark as we are…by the way post what links you like mate.
    We can read them if we want or just ignore them if were not interested.

• 76 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Progress, what progress??

• 77 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM

ty Mr M

Yeah you are probably right lol

• 78 Moonraker15 // Jul 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Just a thought; has Charnley got another job and is running Newcastle in his spare time, cos if not I’m wondering what the twat does?

No news on the website, no announcement about the coaching team and no signings lined up.

Basically he’s useless cos good pr might have sold a few season tickets.

previous post: Newcastle Still In With Good Chance To Sign Austin