The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Still In With Good Chance To Sign Austin

8:51 am, Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

30 year-old Billy Paynter is a friend of Charlie Austin’s who used to play with Austin while they were at Swindon Town together, and Billy has been exchanging texts with Charlie while the QPR striker is on his honeymoon.

It’s not too surprising that Charlie is saying he is still undecided as to which club he will join in the summer, and we see that as good news for Newcastle.

billy paynter austin

Billy Paynter and Charlie Austin at Swindon

It seems that Newcastle and West Ham are the two clubs favored to sign him, with Newcastle fans desperate to get him to the club.

That would be  a massive signing for us and lift some of the doubts that are growing during this summer’s transfer window,

The report is in  the Shields Gazette and this is what 30 year-old Scouser Paynter had to say:

“I knew back then that Charlie had the potential to play in the Premier League,”

“He was a natural finisher. Everything is instinct with him, and if the ball is coming into his feet then he is always looking to get a shot off, which always catches the keeper off guard.”

“I’m not surprised he has gone on to better things.”  “We still keep in touch – we speak every now and again – and I wish him all the best.”

“I am texting him to see where he is moving to, or if he is moving, but he isn’t giving anything anyway!”

“There are a few teams that have been sniffing around, and I’m sure QPR will want to try and keep him.”  “But he doesn’t know where he is going yet.”

“Swindon was my most prolific spell in football, and I had a good partnership with Charlie Austin,” “It was one of those spells where every time I was going out on the pitch I felt like I was going to score.”

“I was happy and it was a comfortable environment for me.”

Paynter was at Swindon from 2007-2010 and Charlie Austin was there from 2009 – 2011 so they played there for about a year.

Charlie scored 37 goals in 65 appearances for Swindon, and he’s scored goals wherever he’s gone.

There were rumors that his wife Bianca didn’t want to move to Newcastle, but it’s not clear if that has any truth to it.

News in the last day or so is that West Brom are joining the chase for Austin,  and newly promoted Bournemouth are also interested – as are Southampton.

But this player has to be Newcastle’s top target this summer and he would be a great signing for us.

He’s worth £15M to Newcastle – so we should be willing to pay it and also give him the number 9 shirt.

The players return today for pre-season training,  and we are still waiting to hear what Steve McClaren’s coaching staff is.

You can never accuse Newcastle of being good communicators.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Ashley Out !

• 2 Lindisfarne // Jul 1, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Where is the PR?

The bland every news from the club website does not inspire or inform and only confirms that there is nothing of value to report.

Are there any Tweets from the training ground?

With little activity on players, surely the new coaching team is worth publishing, just to show a thread of serious intent.

• 3 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Austin is on his Honeymoon so that’s a non story until he gets back.

I’d take Tom Ince though

• 4 will die for the toon army // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Nufc jst gets better

• 5 Chris // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Ed, I think you’re reading a bit too much into that quote. It doesn’t say that he’s undecided – it just says that he doesn’t know where he’s going yet. It could mean that he’s decided that he doesn’t want to join us, but that the move to his chosen club hasn’t been finalised yet.

• 6 Jib // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM

People need to make their minds up.

NUFC are either crap communicators

Cynical users of Bishops PR machine

They cannot be both

Anyone thought there might be no news ?

• 7 Mister Tuff // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Expat don’t get carried away because you’ve had a compliment from Carl.
    Carl is Ian Toon.
    A compliment from Ian Toon is on par with Captain Billy Bones being given the black spot by Blind Pew. You should fear it and not embrace it.

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM

I hope NUFC have bid more than 10 million for him.

The way they are behaving within the walls of St James you would think they didn’t have a fan base at all.

Even the assistant coach has to tell his own story of joining.

Unless I have missed something while I’v been away working.

• 9 lloydie780 // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM

TFL why dont you stop coming up with irrelevant comments/pointless remarks, followed by a link to your website which is obviously failing as everytime i go on it there are 0 comments. Half the articles are made up/your own opinions and not those of fact or reported news. On top of that i think its a bit wrong to be pushing your blog on a successful blog by trying to entice people onto it constantly. I like people debating/chatting on here but your constant efforts to drag views into your pages do p**s me off. This is coming from a guy who never comments but has been reading the blog since 2008. please talk,please debate but please stop sending links to your website on here. Regards

• 10 Offkey // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:34 AM

So, if NUFC release false and/or misleading information indirectly through a third party, I cannot assert they are bad communicators….right…..clever jib, very clever indeed

• 11 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 1, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I have been using this blog for donkeys, I follow the other blog and use it as reference to add or start a conversation. I’ve explained my situation and I aren’t doing it again.

• 12 lesh // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Where’s the PR?

The Club don’t even know how to spell it let alone use it!

• 13 lesh // Jul 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM

And if QPR and Austin were offered enough, he’d sign.

Ah, but there lies a little problem, Charnley’s still looking down the back of the setee for funds

• 14 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 1, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Having just experienced relegation with QPR, surely Austin will want to go to a club where, next season, that is at the very least unlikely, or ideally for him, out of the question. I think that immediately rules out NUFC doesn’t it? I reckon we would need to spend £50 million at least to put together a squad with a genuinely strong case to not be in relegation strife yet again. If anybody actually thinks that is going to happen, I can give you the number of a good shrink – because you are clearly insane…

previous post: Former Newcastle Coach Surprisingly Sacked By Leicester City