Serious Possibility That Newcastle Will Sign Florian Thauvin

Newcastle have bid around €15M (£10.6M) for Florian Thauvin and there’s news coming out of France today that the bid may be tempting to Marseilles and le10sport is reporting that it’s food for thought for Marseilles President Vincent Labrune.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – tempting offer from Newcastle

Here’s some of the le10sport report – translated form the French:

Florian Thauvin has been the subject of a concrete offer from Newcastle for €15M. Food for thought for (Marseilles President) Vincent Labrune.

After Dimitri Payet was sold for €15M to West Ham, and Giannelli Imbula’s transfer to Porto for €22M was agreed to this morning, Olympique de Marseille could sell a third player in the coming days – and It is now a serious possibility.

The amount proposed by the Magpies is clearly food for thought for President Vincent Labrune, who had bought Thauvin for an amount slightly in excess of €10M two years ago.

Given the difficult season of the young Frenchman, it would in any case limit the damage of the OM club, and they could still make a profit on this.

At the same time, as OM has already sold well, he is not obliged to accept the first offer came to Thauvin.

How much Marseilles paid for the player two years ago from Lille  is arguable, because it was said to be €15M with bonuses – so maybe the initial fee could have been €10M.

The fee quoted for Thauvin that Lille paid Bastia for him six months previously – in January of 2013 – was just €3.5M.

It seems Thauvin is one of three players Newcastle have bids in for – and according to this report, this bid has not been turned down – yet.

It looks like Newcastle may have a decent chance of finally getting Thauvin to Tyneside, although we have to bid just a little bit more.

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Whilst I’m moaning about potential signings.

Who was it likened Austin to Shearer?
    Stevie Wonder?

Austin plays like Shearer did when he was 36, look at shearer at 26 then at Austin, not even in the same league.

At 26 Shearer was arguably the best striker in the world, now look at Austin at the same age.

We’ve been fed shite so long a average player looks world class to us.

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM

OP

Very good.

To be honest, I wouldnt pay a cent over 6 million bucks for Austin.

Think about it.

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM

BandB

Some have already started that.

I’d say I’ve been guilty of wanting the dead wood out of the squad but it’s not to make room, it’s to get them out of the club for not being good enough.

Why even bother offering Sammy a contract if he’s never going to play.

It’s all about the numbers, nothing else matters. By numbers I mean profit, 25man squad, home grown players etc etc

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Expat

Just got it, your jokes are as bad as mine 😉

• Jib

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:25 PM

You can vote whether to accept the Toons offer on here
    If enough of us vote OUI we should get our man

• scout

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:26 PM

I said we payed 15 million for shearer 20 years ago so 15 million for Austin now is a steal. I didnt compare abilty as its a no brainer.

• carl

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Things could be a lot worse. At least we all know that there isn’t any methodology behind the madness.
    Seriously though, aside from Liverpool there has not been a lot of transfer activity. Rogers is following his well worn habit of being the Jackson Pollock of football management. Not by randomly throwing a lot of paint at canvas and hoping something worthwhile might appear.
    Rogers believes that if you constantly purchase enough players that they might eventually produce a team capable of winning something.
    You could always just rebrand Southampton to the pool.
    Seriously we have methodology behind the madness just you wait and see.

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:28 PM

OP

sorry mate. I was feeling positively bionic today…..lol

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Carl

With regard to Liverpool, the signing of Firminio plus interest in Benteke must mean Sterling is definitely on his way.

If they get Benteke, interesting to see where Sturridge fits in. We might keep an eye on that situation.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:36 PM

jib – voted yes. It’s worth a try. Newcastle United need all the help we can get.

• BandB

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Barmy

On the club’s official website, 24 players are listed as being members of the first team squad.
    Three of those have already left, and one appears to be one his way out on loan already.
    Of the players you mention, only half figure on that list anyway.
    Four down….no room for signings?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Rogers????????????????????????????????
    RoDgers…………. ah from Liverpool.

Trickster – stop you mischief on the blog.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:39 PM

expatmag – we have no chance in hell to get either Sturridge or Sterling or even Benteke for that matter.

• blew

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Thauvin will struggle, if signed I hope
    he proves me wrong, but I believe the
    French players cant cope well, certainly
    those Carr recommends. After all he got
    the sack at the clubs he managed, Blackpool
    and Northampton for signing bad players.
    Not a lot changed there.

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Band

I did a list the other day and counted 27 players but that included the likes of the Forest lads Ferguson Vukic and Marveaux

• Mister Tuff

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Mr Tubbs…………………………………OOT
    Penfold……………………………………OOT
    Judas Moncur……………………………OOT
    Tricksters/mischief makers……………OOT

• carl

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:42 PM

The declared McClaren objective is top eight and to win a trophy. By any standards this is relatively ambitious. I recall a press comment that we were seeking to buy more English players. I would like Austin as he could well encourage further young quality like Sturridge to follow.
    Personally I think Sturridge will stay at pool.

• BandB

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Santon, Ferreya, Taylor and Gutierrez have all left the first team squad permanently since Christmas, and Sammy is probably about to go to.
    Lascelles and Darlow have come in.
    How is there no room in the squad?

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Scout

My post wasn’t aimed at you, more at the pundits etc who are rating him so highly.

IMO he’s not worth £10m, relatively unproven, only a year on his contract.

Truth be known just about any striker could have scored the goals Austin did.
    18 is a impressive figure, the type of goals he scored weren’t.
    I’d rather just keep Cisse and get someone to compliment his style.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Strurridge to NUFC will never happen ffs. Be realistic lads.

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:45 PM

JP

I wasnt advocating Sterling or Benteke but not many of the top 8 would have a position available for Sturridge if as I suspect, Liverpool buy Benteke.

If we were ambitious enough, we might just keep an eye on his situ. They don t play 2 up and with Firminio and Milner signed with Coutinho and Llalana, there nay be no place for Sturridge

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Expat

It’s good to see you in good fettle after the surgery, I think 😉

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Op

Thanks mate. I have to sit at home and rest for a few weeks. I dont usually post as much but there is only so much I can take on TV these days. Hell, I have even been reduced to watching Corrie and Eastenders with the missus…..lol

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:51 PM

JP

Highly unlikely but stranger things have happened before.

• carl

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Expat
    Are you a cricket fan. The Ashes start next Wednesday.

• JDdubai

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Stoke agree 12m fee for Shaqiri??????

Is this a joke on Sky?

Stoke…….Shaqiri………Stoke……Shaqiri…….eh?

• BandB

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM

expat?

Have they?

Have you an example?

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Expat

Corrie and eastenders, call a ambulance quick

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Carl

Yes indeed. I will be watching and supporting the Aussies.

Sorry lads but even though I was born bred and brought up in the toon, as Mr. TUFF would say, I gave been well and truly “crocodile dundeed” now……lol

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Jdubai

I asked yesterday but missed you.

Didn’t you say you’d spoke to Carr at the hotel around Xmas.

Spill the beans lad, was Schteeve mentioned? Who else?

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Band

I know. Shocking, isnt it?

However, the bairn and missus are mollycoddling me so much that if I move off the settee, I get the spanish inquisition…..lol

• BandB

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Expat

I’m knocked up too….so to speak.
    Hottest day of the year too …..

• JDdubai

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:00 PM

OP

It was in Feb actually, he is definitely Carr’s no1 choice.

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Jdubai

We all know that lol, no other juicy tit bits?

• BandB

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Jd

Yeah, more tit bits.
    Some ones that haven’t already happened maybe?

• will die for the toon army

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM

BandB

The young kids who under 21 have grown up and now r grown players

• lesh

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM

BandB

The squad appears to number 22 players

• BandB

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Which ones are they toon army?
    Are you suggesting we can’t sign experienced players because we have to put Sterry into the first team squad.
    Don’t think so…….

• optimistic prime

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Expat

I hate being laid up.

I was in a German hospital after a motorbike accident for a cpl months a whiles ago, i used to get in so much trouble daily for wheeling myself down town for food and just to get out.

2 months in a German hospital sharing a room with a Russian and a Polish bloke watching Black Adder in German, was a nightmare.

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:11 PM

OP

much worse than me although I have had a russian to deal with for 16 years……..the missus……lol

I really shouldnt complain. She is brilliant.

Band

Sorry to hear that. And no ducted air conditioning for you either. Poor you.

1 2 3 5