The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Goalkeeper Karl Darlow Speaks – I’ll Do My Best

2:38 pm, Thursday, July 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Goalkeeper Karl Darlow joined his former team-mate Jamaal Lascelles in the first day of training at Newcastle yesterday at Benton, and it must be an uncertain time for Karl after he has been first team goalkeeper at Nottingham Forest for a couple of seasons, and he will now compete with Tim Krul and Rob Elliot for the number one spot at Newcastle.

karl darlow

24 year-old Newcastle goalkeeper Karl Darlow arrives yesterday at Benton

Karl played 111 times for the Nottingham Forest first team and he also played on loan at Walsall (10 appearances) and Newport County (8 appearances) so at 24 the 6¨ 1¨ tall goalkeeper has had quite a few first team games in his career.

This is what Karl has said after his first day of training:

“Coming here now is very exciting.” “It’s like the first day at a new school! It’s nice to meet new people and learn from people who’ve got vast experience in the Premier League.”

“I’ll do my best in pre-season and see where that leaves me.”

It’s not certain that Tim Krul will stay at Newcastle, and he is set to have talks with new head coach Steve McClaren – but we hope we can have three experienced goalkeepers on board this season – which we haven’t had for a few years.

Last season we had to play Jak Alnwick for eight games when both Tim Krul and Rob Elliot were injured, and the top clubs have three goalkeepers because its such a unique position.

We like to see all three goalkeepers at Newcastle come September and then possibly Steve McClaren can send out impressive 18 year-old Freddie Woodman so he can get some first team games.

We wish Karl Darlow all the best in this career at Newcastle United.

Tags: Interview · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM

another report that we are in talks over signing tom ince from hull.

our competition this time is derby so we do have a fighting chance now imo and he would be good for us imo ! i’d be happy with him as a winger.

• 2 WWSBRD // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Well if u can kick a ball it’ll leave u ahead of Krul

• 3 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM

@2 wwsbrd

lol good point.

• 4 geordieboy83 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Im really unsure on ince, get the impression he thinks he has “made it” already. There must be a reason hull didn’t use him. He’s talented but not enough to warrant him stopping one of our young players coming i.e roberts

• 5 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Yo – I did some digging the other day and I found a poster who thought everyone was nuts to criticise Kruls distribution, back in 2012. So it was being argued about back then. Unless we have some serious change in coaching, it should be Mac having a word with Tim, not the other way round.

• 6 nightfa11 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:48 PM

could we like..sign somebody already? and i dont mean a benchwarmer..

• 7 Sazzer // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I think Balotelli + Evans rumour started with winner sports so even less reliable than the usual suspects of unreliable sources we are stuck with.

• 8 WWSBRD // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM

croftus
    He will come in have one kick that goes to a member of his team and Krul’s face will go white…

Tsunki
    Back then it wasnt a huge problem though he had time to get better but he has done nothing to improve in 3 years…3 YEARS and he cant kick a ball? What training has he done since then?

• 9 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Evans? Spittin’ Jonny? Have I been missing April fools?

• 10 Sazzer // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM

I think there something in the Ince rumour though.

“Would I like to keep Tom next season? Absolutely,” said McClaren.

“He has been terrific for us, terrific, and I think we have been good for him.

“We have given him a good platform to play on and he has rewarded us with performances, goals and assists.

“He is my type of player and thank goodness we got him in January.”

• 11 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Yo exactly. This is my fear with the likes of Dummett, Colback… and any of the development lot. If our coaching setup doesn’t go in a totally different direction we’re lumbered with treadwaters. If the coaching setup is the real deal, and they still don’t improve, they need to be got shot of.

For example, my gripe with Kruls distribution is the lost advantage / lost possession one, it’s cost us dearly in a way few stats can explain.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM

” followed by a lot of ball work in the afternoon – possession and passing drills.”

– – – – – – – – – –

Music to my ears after all these years. Shows what total dinosaurs pardew and carver were, where ” pass and move” didn’t exist, just stand still, contain and hoof. That worked well…….

Hopefully willo’s days are numbered now.

• 13 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM

@Geordie Boy 83

Great minds think alike !! ha ha I can confirm I have only had one other username which was Santon the new Maldini but after we flogged him for hee haw I went for a name change !

Lascalles could come good Forest fans thought he was going to be a legend for them before we stepped in Pearce was a terrible manager and he looked good when the new manager took over scored a few goals

On the Thauvin issue I would rather put the money towards getting Austin and Matip with Ince and loans of Ginkel and Lindegard if we then got a left back in and kept our best players we would be looking good to start the season

• 14 Mister Tuff // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM

They should get rid of that fat tub of lard -Elliot – wobblier than a Chivers jelly.

• 15 WWSBRD // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Tsunki
    I agree mate which is why I am slightly more positive with McClaren involved he seems to be getting a full coaching rebuild….whether that stretches to the youth set up though may be another issue

Krul lost us quite a few points last season imo, he wasn’t the only one but he more than played his part. Its the same with throw ins I have a large issue with our throw ins and corners…and free kicks

• 16 will die for the toon army // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM

Backroom staff. Captain.

I would also save my money rather than by Thauvin

• 17 geordieboy83 // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I think the similarities with thauvin and cabella are not there tbh. Thaivin is very quick and direct, very much ben arfa like, whereas cabella slowe the game down. I would be excited by him personally. Im waiting patiently but i feel it in my bones that we will get at least 1 top drawer cf, winger and cb. With another cb to follow maybe not top drawer. And a midfielder on loan.

• 18 geordieboy83 // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:21 PM

My captain would defo be sdj aswell depending on fitness, with daryl vice

previous post: New Player Admits It’s Been Excellent So Far – After One Day