The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Interview – What He Wants To Achieve In Pre-Season

3:15 pm, Thursday, July 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Steve McClaren has given an interview on nufcTV with Newcastle Digital Editor Dan King, after he had finished his first day of pre-season training with the Newcastle players yesterday, although those who have been on International duty don’t report back until Monday.

It’s the first time we have heard from Steve for about 10 days, and he comes across as really sensible, down to earth and seems to be in his element coaching the players on the training pitch.

steve mcclaren training 2

Steve McClaren taking the training yesterday

If you have a nufcTV subscription you can watch the interview – and for those who don’t – here’s the interview we have transcribed with what Steve said:

¨It’s great to get them back and great to get some work done – we’ve been here two and a half weeks – I’ve been here more or less on my own in that time, and been talking to a lot of people and doing a lot of work behind the scenes.¨

¨It feels real when players come back so to see them all bright and breezy it’s very good.¨ ¨This is where the work is done – this is where we always say preparation is key Monday to Friday – if you work hard and get the preparation right – then Saturday you are ready to play.¨

¨This is the best part of the job as a player and a coach – working on the grass and enjoying your work but working hard.¨ ¨Well you play football with a ball so it’s vital that we do ball-work – players enjoy that – but I do too¨

¨It’s a shorter pre-season and we have 10 days of good work before we go to America, so we want to get some structure and ball win with the players, and try to incorporate the two – fitness wise.¨

¨It is vitally important to get the majority of players here, on Monday we have the rest of the internationals back who have been playing up until mid-June,  so I can’t wait for them to get back and we get everybody here, and everybody is working together.¨

¨It was good today, it was a big group  and  good to meet them and good to see them get a touch of the ball. ¨ ¨ As I said the job feels real and we’ve been talking with the players, but talking is all well and good¨

¨But it’s what you do on the pitch that’s important – and that’s why it is enjoyable to get them out there and start the work.”

That’s a good interview with Steve.

Steve is seen giving instructions to the players and pointing stuff out during the interview – he obviously loves the coaching side of things, you can see that he’s in his element and Dan King pointed that out.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sazzer // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:20 PM

“I have been here two and a half weeks and I think I’ve been more or less on my own. Talking to a lot of people.”

• 2 Bambams // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Genuinely thought we would have signed somebody by now

• 3 Thump // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:27 PM

@Sazzer: Kanye West and Steve McClaren cover Queen’s “I’m Going Slightly Mad”

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Reading between the lines I get the feeling that he has looked at what he has now and thinks he has a good squad.

He could well be correct, possibly all that has been needed is a half way decent coach.

My prediction is that we’ll make two biggish signings and that will be our transfer intake done and dusted.

I am cautiously optimistic at present.

With an option for despair lurking in the wings, as always!! 🙂

• 5 JAMSHA(ASHELY SLAYER) // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Austin With Cabella N Goof …wow

• 6 Jib // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Anyone seen this ?

• 7 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:39 PM

More like we’ll only sign one. Provided one player gets sold. It’s one in one out here. Pathetic.

• 8 Sazzer // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Yes Jib.

• 9 Mister Tuff // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:45 PM

I think somebody poste something similar last week about the “make up” of any signings along the lines of a couple of decent players -known, a couple of unknown hopefuls with promise and a couple of loan players.
    I really hope they do not go down the loan players route -it only benfits the loaning club.
    Tubbs needs to make some cash committments.

• 10 bettyswallocks // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Surely the Balotelli rumours can’t be real. As if we haven’t had enough headline making for the wrong reasons.
    This guy is a magnet for the gutter press and would make us even more of a media circus than Ashley has done.

We need a season of improvement and positivity not this toss pot making it all about him.!!

• 11 lesh // Jul 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Carver never talked to a lot of people – he had his own secret friend!

• 12 widowmagandapoke // Jul 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Essex, I don’t think so. I think he would be delighted with any of the ones rumoured… Except Baliotelli.

• 13 lochinvar // Jul 2, 2015 at 10:38 PM

McClaren also confirmed his backroom team in the email.

The 54-year-old, as previously reported, will be assisted by Ian Cathro and Paul Simpson. Alessandro Shoenmaker is United’s new fitness coach, while sports psychologist Steve Black has joined as a consultant.
    Andy Woodman remains Newcastle’s goalkeeping coach.

Well at least that’s clear.

previous post: Goalkeeper Karl Darlow Speaks – I’ll Do My Best