The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New Player Admits It’s Been Excellent So Far – After One Day

2:06 pm, Thursday, July 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

One player Newcastle fans will be excited to see play soon is 21 year-old center-back Jamaal Lascelles who spent his first day at Newcastle yesterday – but the England U21 International said it was not a particularly easy day,  with fitness and running tests that were followed by some ball work in the afternoon.

jamaal lascelles

Jamaal Lascelles – new Newcastle first team player

Jamaal is one of the players we are hoping Steve McClaren can make into a great player, and Jamaal himself must be pleased he’s now working with a coach who has a great record of bringing younger players through the ranks.

After one day at Newcastle this is what Jamaal said on the Newcastle web-site:

“It’s been excellent so far,” “Everyone has been really welcoming, the staff are great and even though I have only been in a day or so, I feel really settled already.”

“Training has been really hard and intense. We did running and fitness testing on the first day,  followed by a lot of ball work in the afternoon – possession and passing drills.”

“It’s been tough but everyone looks really sharp. I made sure I kept in shape over the summer. I got away on holiday a couple of times but managed to also get my head down and work hard in the gym.”

“I only came up here for one day last year – to sign – and then was back to Forest straight away. But now I properly feel like a Newcastle United player. I can’t wait to get going, to really get stuck in to training and to play some matches.”

“When the head coach was at Forest I was 16 and still with the youth team, so didn’t have too much to do with him,” “But from what I know of him, he’s great at what he does. He got Derby playing some great football in the Championship, so just imagine what he can do with these boys here.¨

“He wants us to be professional, show the right attitude and play in a certain way. That’s worked for him over the years, and with the talent in the squad here, there’s no reason why we can’t do really well.”

That’s a good first interview from Jamaal.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how Jamaal shapes up in pre-season and of course we hope he shows good form immediately – we need some center-backs and if he plays well enough Jamaal could even be pushing immediately for a first team place.

Tags: Interview · Jamaal Lascelles · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM

@1 tsunki

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Er I think you mean ‘Like a ‘ New Signing don’t you Ed?

• 4 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Croftus 😀 it’s a team game ha ha

• 5 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Sorry that kit – he looks like he’s in one of SyFys cheesy b movies. Gaahh.

• 6 WWSBRD // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I like him already
    Him and Dragovic starting CB pairing on day 1, two thumbs up

• 7 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Looking for some positives Lascalles mentions that they were doing possession and passing work on the first day !! That is a significant change already in the way we used to do it under the Chuckle Brothers !!

• 8 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM

lescalles is a great player and has everything needed to be a great cb …just not yet ! he’s far too inconsistant ! yes he’s better than what we currently have without a doubt but he will only look avg and he will become the new williamson if he’s our starting cb next season at my best guess.

we need a proven solid cb who is mobile can read the game and can head and mark players and tbf thats worth 15mil to us alone any day.

• 9 Brummie // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Ashley Out

• 10 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM

@7 lee

thats true but where is our conditioning coach our second in command and our reserve team coach ? mclaren cant do it all alone and the only positive the fans have got so far is the good training camp we are supposed to be getting who havent even signed on yet lol.

• 11 geordieboy83 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:31 PM

I cant help but like mclaren. Has anybody seen hs interview about training? Basically interviewer said to him you got the ball out on first day at training, this is not something we are used to saying. His response
    “Well you play football with a ball dont you”

Basically piss1ng over previous pre season routines

• 12 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM

@11 geordieboy

aye theres no doubt he’s a better coach than we have had previously.

• 13 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I know I’ve been in hospital since the early hours but am I seeing things or have we supposedly enquired about Mario Ballotelli?

• 14 mickalfas // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Passing ,i didn’t think that was important at NUFC
    Change is definitely a good thing !!

• 15 geordieboy83 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Mate if he gets us playing possession footy, where we look comfortable and exciting, i dont care if we only finish 10th, i just want ti enjoy us being the better team in games and for the first time in years, have pundits and fans alike commenting on how nice we play the game

• 16 geordieboy83 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Can i also add me and lee charnleys bunga party are not the same person haha, on the last couple of subjects we’ve oosted very similar comments. Just dont want to see wummage gate start again ????

• 17 croftus5678 // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM

@13 tfl

rumoured to want him on loan.

i’ll state “rumoured” because i’ve mentioned this to some fenatic liverpool fans and they laughed at me saying its rubbish….aswell as him being rubbish i may add as they would gladly give him to us for free lol.

• 18 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM

thought as much croftus

• 19 Sazzer // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I think Balotelli + Evans rumour started with winner sports so even less reliable than the usual suspects of unreliable sources we are stuck with.

• 20 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 2, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Aarons is fighting fit that sounds good

• 21 geordiesteve520 // Jul 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM

This kid is the real deal; I have seen him about half a dozen times over the past 2 or so seasons and have been impressed each time. Quick, strong and good in the air; looks really calm on the ball too. It will be interesting to see him at the next level.

previous post: Newcastle Transfer Target Priced Far Too High