The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren’s Email To Newcastle Fans

11:08 pm, Thursday, July 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 89 Comments

Steve McClaren sent out an email tonight to Newcastle fans, and asked them for patience during this summer transfer window,  and he is well aware the fans want new players brought in – quickly.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren during coaching on Thursday

Here is the jist of that email:

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I know the anticipation is already out there and that yes, you want to see new players coming in through the door immediately.

This is natural. For me as head coach, however it is so important that the right payers come through the door.

However long it takes , I want to make sure that we have just the type of people who can come in and force us forward.

On the surface, things can seem quiet, but beneath it, I want to assure you that we are striving to be prepared for the upcoming season.

The hard work needed to push us where we want to go is well underway.

The plan we have as a club excites me. It isn’t a quick fix, it’s not going to happen overnight.

It’s going to take patience and ups and downs, knocks, highs and lows, but we have got an opportunity over time to really make a statement.

I’m looking forward to being with you on the journey.

It looks like Steve will use emails to communicate with Newcastle fans – so that’s a good step forward by Steve,so he can at least share what he’s doing even if we hardly ever hear anything from Lee Charnley.

Steve is reported to be unhappy about the stand taken by the club not to talk to the general media other than preferred outlets Sky Sports and the Mirror.

The upper management at Newcastle certainly have a huge hang-up with the media, and the sooner it’s fixed the better it will be for everybody.

But Steve McClaren, his coaching staff and the team deserve all the support the fans can give them.

Who knows, we may even have a good season next season.

89 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Can someone who is well informed tell me why this coaching team is strong?

• 2 Ibizatoon // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Jesper…I think you may be lost. What was it you were looking for again?

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Glorious power of truth is gift to masses! Wonderful truth of well being and strength is the gift to the people, may we all join in the mightiness of conforming to grand Truth!

• 4 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Jesper I think together they can lift heavy things.

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Jesper

It’s strong because carver and stone are not there, simple really.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Isn’t it refreshing to know that it’s perfectly natural how we’re all feeling?

That’s relaxed me.

“Striving to be prepared” – Phwoar. Watch out PL. We’re coming for ya!

• 7 Tsunki // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Let the night shift take over…

• 8 optimistic prime // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Have we won the league yet?

• 9 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Ibiza…???

• 10 Belfast // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:23 PM

They use moisturiser Jesper And Carver didn’t.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Tsunki… 😀

Welsh…what you would mean then is it’s not as weak!

• 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Glad to see I am not then only one who’s mystified!

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Tsunki

What you should have said is, let welshie take over.

Ha ha ha

• 14 Ibizatoon // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Tsunki…Nice motivational slogan that.

I’m going to get one for my office wall. A nice picture of our new coaching team…and Woodman with “Together, we can lift heavy things” underneath.

I’m all pumped up already. Just before bedtime too. Rats.

Jesper…Now you seem confused. Lost and confused. It’s okay mate, we look after our elders round here. Sit down, have a nice cup of tea. Watch out for Belfast mind. He might try and steal a biscuit.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:29 PM

OP…Honestly, that’s just being silly. We will win the league, but we have to play some games first. It’ll probably be won by Jan, maybe early Feb.

If we manage to sign some players, maybe even by December. But that’s probably expecting too much.

• 16 Belfast // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM

I don’t steal I sample

• 17 Geordie John // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Did you see this reply? http://www.toontoon.co.uk/dear-steve-a-reply.php

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM

First signing tomorrow super mario, then bellamy, bowyer, dyer, Barton and then savage.

ive picked a nice quiet bunch, what could go possibly wrong.

• 19 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Ibiza…I should know better than to come in here after midnight…all sorts of crazy people are here 😉

…I might be older, but we have been through this before. Who looks the older! All that sun, the heavy drinking, no sleep and the golden ladies 😉

Belfast is sneaky I know! But I am on to him…

• 20 mickalfas // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:34 PM

SM must be watching Rivieres shooting practice with a grin like that !

• 21 Munster Mag // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Jesper, you’re a miserable moaning bastard at the best of time but here goes re the coaching set up:

McLaren has respect all over europe from players and coaches. He was chosen to manage England. He is far better working day to day with players than as a national mgr. He won a league in Holland with a very so-so team. He is not Mourinho but he worked with Fergie. He made some bad moves and was shafted at Forest. Derby and QPR fans still wonder how Derby stayed down and QPR went up

Cathro is known to be innovative and hungry. We havent had this in years

Black has serious credibility from teams like the B + I Lions

The new fitness guy cant be worse than what we had, and neither can Simpson.

Charva is gone ….thank God for that alone….

• 22 lesh // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Repost from previous

There’s something about these emails – and I don’t know what – that suggests that Steve McClaren’s got himself more power than he had when he joined.

You’ll note that the announcements weren’t made through the Preferred Media Partners but issued to fans in McClaren’s name.

He also seems to be talking about ‘the right players’ HE wants in.

I wonder whether there’s been some frank discussions among the so-called ‘Board’ that’s brought on this relative avalanche of communication from the Club.

Let’s hope Charnley’s had a kick up the backside too!

• 23 usmagpie // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Steven Spielberg has a new movie coming out soon.
    Its like The Goonies where the club goes out and tries to find players instead of treasure to save the club instead of the town. Nice little twist in the plot, right up until the end of the movie ( Transfer Window ) we get that player. He is thinking of naming it The Toonies.
    I am sure to watch it, only problem is its about two months long, honey we needs coffee and popcorn.

• 24 optimistic prime // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Lesh

Is it ok if I just hope Charnleys been kicked in the head?

• 25 lesh // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:48 PM

OP

Surely you can’t feel that way about Charnley….. Can you?

He’s just out of his depth and like Carver, hasn’t the sense to see it and tells Ashley he wants his old job back.

Ah, but his old job included pushing transfers through and unless there’re any sales to come, that job’s pretty well redundant under Ashley.

• 26 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Munster Mag…I am actually quite happy!

…and a very likeable person just ask Belfast!

• 27 Ibizatoon // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Jesper…Indeed, despite that unhealthy lifestyle I still look younger. Because I am. Would it help if I wrote this in CAPS for you? 🙂

Geordie John…Made me chuckle. Not sure it should have, but it did.

Munster…Bit uncalled for towards Jesper.

Lesh…Sorry, it’s a little late and I should really be asleep. Was that genuine or a funny? With the varying views this blog produces it’s proving hard to tell 🙂

• 28 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Ibiza…you won’t fool me mate! You look 40 and you know it 😉 lol

I think Munster has me confused with himself!

• 29 Ibizatoon // Jul 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Not sure about likable however…you were bigging up the Bee Gees earlier.

You can expect a strongly worded email. That’s even worse than Lionel.

I can feel myself getting wound up already.

Bee Gees. Honestly. How can you get it right on so many things Jesper and then drop the Bee Gees on us.

I mean, just look…

The shame 🙂

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Ibiza…I was going to mention your favourite Lionel Richie but was afraid you couldn’t handle it 😀

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Ibiza…that picture isn’t that from your OV campaign?

…you, Belfast and Ruddy 😀

• 32 Grumpy // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:02 AM

looks like a lawyers press release.same ole ,same ole

• 33 Ibizatoon // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:03 AM

I might have to go. Opening up a Google image search of the Bee Gees has made me feel unwell.

My laptop started laughing at me.

I don’t want anyone to suffer, and the longer I stay, the more likely I’ll be to start posting links to further evidence of the disgraceful actions of Jesper today.

I think it’s best we just draw a line under it. It’s midnight in England, the start of a new day.

I won’t ruin it for you.

Goodnight everyone. I’ll be back to celebrate the putting together of a coaching staff tomorrow. Mike and Lee had it in them afterall. They didn’t even have to give Carver a job.

• 34 Ibizatoon // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Jesper…Newcaslte may struggle to find the “line”, but you sir, you not only found it, but you crossed it.

Beef.

As if I’d pose with Belfast! 🙂

Night

• 35 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Goodnight Ibiza!

*Send my regards to the bikini girls 😉

• 36 awaydays // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:11 AM

“Are the boo boys out in force… Again” he said angrily

• 37 geordie157 // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Based on the system McLaren likes to play, players like Marveaux and Vuckic may actually have a chance to shine. The problem is those two plus De Jong and Cabella are all best in the no.10 role.

Nice to see Bigi back in training too, he’s another that could push on again if the coaching team are good.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Couple of points.
    If Cabaye goes to Palace I can see it as a possible benefit for them. Cabaye spraying the ball forward for their fast players -might really pay dividends for them – with Percy stumbling upon a successful style of play.

The other point is that we should see the effects of Wallys training methods and then a comparison can be made with what King Percy achieved or didn’t achieve. I suspect that Wally will turn out to be better than Percy -the inference will be that Percy was not that good – hopefully this will shut up his followers once and for all.

• 39 Sammmy // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:36 AM

He said that about the coaching team and that is pretty impressive, so i guess we’ll have to wait and see.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:41 AM

So does anyone think Derby will sign up our old coaching team now that we have taken theirs? 😉

…we missed out on their GK coach though didn’t we?

• 41 Novocastrian66 // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Personally I’m fed up of people telling me how great things will be tomorrow, next week, next year and so and so on. “Be patient, it will be great. You’ll see.” Do me a favour. At best everything stays the same, but generally everything gets worse by the day.

• 42 Munster Mag // Jul 3, 2015 at 12:54 AM

Tuff, i would hope that Steve is better than Pardew, but the serial anti Pardew whingers and sackpardew.com looked like proper tossers by the end of the season with serious egg on their faces once he went to a club where he could manage as he wanted To be honest, i hope he is crap next season, but i think not. But getting Cabaye would be another one in the eye for the people who whinged about him even when we were playing well. Believe it or not, I do want him to fail though!

• 43 Toon Tang // Jul 3, 2015 at 1:01 AM

oooo, personal emails, like a letter from the queen only different. Whens mine arriving Steve or shall I check the spam folder.

Can I unsubscribe?

• 44 Mister Tuff // Jul 3, 2015 at 1:01 AM

munster – whilst I suppose what King Percy does -will not really matter to us now – however I hope he fails as well. A cocky devil he could do with being taken down a peg or two. There’s a chance Palace will finish higher than us though – i hope not as the old Pro Percy Brigade will appear with “I told you so” they’ll be strutting around crowing and preening more than Fog Horn Leg Horn.

• 45 Toon Tang // Jul 3, 2015 at 1:11 AM

The door that these magical new signings are going to be coming through must either be locked or its actually just painted on. The real door for signings is actually an Anne Frank job.

• 46 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 3, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Steve, you make it sound like a journey around the world in a small yacht. I was thinking more along the lines of a well planned cruise from the quayside to North Shields and back.

• 47 Toon Tang // Jul 3, 2015 at 1:14 AM

In fact there’s probably a room somewhere within the walls of St James’ with a selection of bargain buys and Vietnamese import players.

Ready to be collected by muscleman like the ‘special entertainment’ on regular show.

• 48 Reyantoon // Jul 3, 2015 at 4:08 AM

Finally the coaching team sorted,a bit relief…
    Liked the arrival of Cathro,his reputation looks promising in many aspects.That indeed looks strong coaching team.
    The surprising thing is that our main targets have not moved to other clubs yet.That surely indicates we still are in pursuit.
    On a side note,I’ll be disappointed if cabaye goes to palace.we need a playmaker like him desperately like other positions.Good on steve they are looking for the right player to come in but still frustrating not to add atleast 1 or 2 so that they can have proper preseason preparation.Still plenty of time left to do transfer business but it will be more appropriate to get one or two new faces before heading to States!!

• 49 Magpie Season // Jul 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM

jesper,

Because it’s not Carver & Stone.

• 50 Magpie Season // Jul 3, 2015 at 4:26 AM

Someone from a previous post said “urinate on chips”. Not sure what that means but as first time I heard that expression but if Cabaye goes to Palace I will literally urinate on a bag of chips, Yohan Kebab chips to be exact.

• 51 Reyantoon // Jul 3, 2015 at 4:26 AM

It’s a good thing to do things quietly in the background but the club (LC),turned as Lee’s club now,should be more aggressive to get the right players.Don’t think Thauvin is the kind of player we need atm.We need cabaye or cabaye types and someone proven to bag in goals upfront.I’d take Balotelli if we can’t get our main targets like Austin,mitrovic,etc etc..
    He may have some negative issues but i think he suits us if managed properly.

• 52 expatmag // Jul 3, 2015 at 5:06 AM

In my opinion and probably the opinion of Ashley and Co., Palace can have Cabaye.

He kicked up such a fuss when here, I wouldnt to see him back no natter how good he is.

Anyway, if he was so good, he Would be a regular in the starting line up at PSG but he is not.

As he is heading for 30 and caring more for playing in the euroes for France next summer, I would rather use a fit again younger De Jong than bringing back this moody tosspot.

• 53 check the toastie // Jul 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Anybody saying Cabaye wouldn’t be a superb signing is delusional, a new Centre Back and Cabaye just playing in front of a back four could make us great to watch.

Personally think we have a canny squad and two or three top class additions will give us real optimism for the season ahead.

———————-Krul..—————————
    Janmaat——-Matip—Lascelles—–Ashley Cole—-
    —————–Cabaye—-Colback—————————
    ——Sissoko——-De Jong—- Aarons————–
    ———————–Austin——————————

We have plenty in reserve and with the upgrade in coaching we have to be much better than we have been.

• 54 Ron Knee // Jul 3, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Re Reply to Steve:
    I thought it was unnecessarily snidey (spelling?) but I did like: “We are just a few defenders, strikers, wide midfielders and playmakers short of a quality squad.”

• 55 cyprus // Jul 3, 2015 at 6:41 AM

Where did you send this email Steve? Because I didn’t receive one. Why don’t you start posting on this blog maybe?

• 56 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Cyprus…who gives a rats @rse about an email…it’s means nothing! It’s just static…words really!

…like everything else from this club.

• 57 will die for the toon army // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:04 AM

If we talk about Character then Cabaye is out. He only thinks abt himself. Choosing not to play because Arsenal called it was Selfish. I rather look for other options. A loan deal to pass is thru e season.

I wld take Balloteri and Cabaye jst for short term for 80k and 60k @ week respectively. I think it will benefit both of us. They go for Euros and we push up e table.

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Magpie Season #49…that answer was not even funny the first time

• 59 will die for the toon army // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Does Cisse want to stay with us? Big Question.

• 60 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Jesper,
    The coaching team is stronger, but it would be difficult to convincingly sell the argument it is strong.

Cathro is a huge upgrade on Stone. There really is no comparison between the two in the slightest.

Simpson and Carver are probably at very similar levels, neither have CV’s that make for convincing reading. Simpson is slightly better for us because he has worked with McClaren before, and will be used to his methods.

Black is an excellent fitness and motivational coach, the likes we haven’t had since, well, since Black was last at the club. Schoenmaker was part of the fitness and sports science coaching team that oversaw Derby’s fitness and injury collapse in the second half of last season. Between the two of them, as a combination they add up to more than Billows hopefully, but our fitness and injury problems stretch much further back then just Billows, Downey and Pardew era.

Then you have the likes of Beardsley and Watson who have kept their positions. All should have been upgraded, with Bramley and Dawson given more prominent roles and further staff brought in lower down the coaching set up. Woodman should have gone with Carver and Stone, his kid better be worth it is all I can say.

McClaren as a coach is very good, certainly a far better coach than Pardew. As I’ve said in the past, my only worry with McClaren is how he seems to react under pressure. He always does best when there are low expectations upon him.

• 61 Ron Knee // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:10 AM

jesper

“I’m looking forward to being with you on the journey.”

So you’re not looking forward to going on a journey with Steve?

• 62 will die for the toon army // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:18 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Pressure how? He reached the final four times and has won the league once. I dont see e pressure.

I settled with Mcclaren from day one lets hop it works out. With the derby problem, Mcclaren was turned by the NUFC offer.

• 63 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Lilongwe/Ron…I am not impressed with McClaren I’ll admit that, but I had hoped for a more profiled coaching staff and not just half of Derbys.

Black is an consultant it seems just like Faye was.

Had Woodman left we would gotten another Derby coach it seems.

That Cathro fella sounds promising and hoped for someone like that ad manager with a playing career behind him though. Would have created more of a buzz alone.

• 64 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Will Die for the Toon Army,
    He reached Cup finals and won the league when there were zero expectations upon him as a manager. He went into the jobs after those performances with an enhanced reputation and subsequently greater pressure to replicate his successes. He failed miserably in each job after his successes. He also struggled with the increased expectation upon him in his second spell at Twente. He did an interview after England where he actually said that the pressure took its toll on him.

Derby were expected to achieve promotion, and he failed in the second half of the season when more pressure was on to seal the promotion, after failing in the pressure cooker play off final the year before.

I don’t mind McClaren as a coach, it isn’t an exciting appointment, but it should be a comfortable one.

• 65 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Lilongwe…but thanks for taking the time to ad least coming with a decent answer!

• 66 firebug666 // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:28 AM

I think McClaren was a long time coming, My guess is he knew in January that he was moving in the summer.

All this talk about he turned us down etc etc. There were a lot of rumours, smoke and mirrors and brinkmanship going on.

My reason for thinking like this…

Back in January a blogger on here was lucky enough to talk to Graham Carr, and the tit bit that came out of that conversation was that Steve McClaren would become Head Coach of Newcastle in the summer.

How they managed to do it without having to pay compensation to Derby is open to speculation, but he was coming to Newcastle since Pardew left, and that is why no other candidates were seriously approached.

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Jesper,
    In fairness, the Derby Goalkeeping coach, Eric Steele, would be an upgrade on Woodman. Before joining McClaren at Deby he had been at Man U for 5 years, and before that Man City under Sven. He worked with McClaren at England which is part of why he took the Derby post I assume.

• 68 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM

firebug…it was bit of a dangerous waiting to play (it almost backed fired…well it actually in its own way did)

• 69 carl // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:32 AM

Munster
    SMac has a host of problems from the off. Not least forming a working relationship with The so called Board. An unbalanced squad needs to be addressed . Entering the transfer market sooner rather than later so we can have a fully integrated squad come August 8th.

Yet that ignores the positives of the situation. Silly people say and do stupid things and toon toon response to SM’s welcome communication was just that. Almost as if being an opinionated tosser ,selfish, rude and abusive is viewed on here as a good thing. There’s a real opportunity to turn around so much going wrong at the club. The unbalanced squad for instance. We look in dire need of at least one centre-half, possibly another two. Steven Taylor is an injury waiting to happen. Priority though is a striker who can hold the ball up. Last season summer signings really didn’t have the impact hoped for. Aside from Colback who was a good addition and Perez who made a good start but tired from a lack of support. Good to see SM spending personally time on first day with him because he could make a big contribution this season. De Jong injured – Riviere and Cabella looking generally poor but relatively big-money signings with reasonably impressive records in France before they arrived here. Riviere has a physical presence which is exactly what we need, but he doesn’t look able to play as a lone striker. What is required is some tactical rethink.
    Cabella has struggled with the physical nature of the Premier League and playing out wide and defensively tracking back has not produced the best from him. Showy but unproductive so far. Foreign players have been known to get over that kind of start and find their feet in their second season. centre-back, more importantly someone with pace at the heart of our defence.
    On the subject of our best players being sold, I’m not sure anyone’s been so impressive they’d attract big-money interest, nor that we’d be very inconvenienced if they did go. Who are we talking about anyway? Sissoko I don’t think is irreplaceable in the way Cabaye was. The idea that Tiote would interest a top European club is farcical. I can only think of Perez as being a big loss simply because of his immense potential.
    The real positive for SM is the prospect of youngsters breaking into the first team. Aarons and Abeid have shown they can make a real difference when they have played.
    Delighted to read bills-son’s post earlier in the week. I don’t agree with his suggestion of the role AC could play in his ” football maturity.
    But he’s a great poster for “pitch rolling and laying the ground” for quality football chat. Bills like many of us want a football club that shows progression over time. This would be success compared to the stagnation of the last few years. Playing without fear would make such a difference to the side.
    Finally, Thank you Steve for your communication to the NUFC fans and good luck .

• 70 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Jesper,
    No worries mate. I understand your scepticism on the staff and McClaren. McClaren doesn’t excite me, but he is a step up on Pardew on the training ground, and as a manager.

Cathro is really the only exciting appointment for me, a career coach, and an excellent one at that. I’ve banged on for a while now that career coaches need to be given more of a chance, rather than the old boys club.

• 71 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:34 AM

I gotta admit I am not feeling this strong vibe one bit…it feels a bit empty to me;

The Cathro fella is the highlight though…and I know nothing of him!

• 72 will die for the toon army // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Jesper

Eric Steel got Degea playing good football at Manure.

Simpson is good assistant. The football I saw derby play last season I wld dream we played like that jst hop we have e players to do that.

And wen Mcclaren was linked to us wen Pardew left I was very excited. The pressure at Nufc is low. Top 10 finish and cup trophy easy.

The problem will come if we start on well we go to top 5 and the Geordie as u know we get expectations. The Pressure will mount compared to a bad beginning.

• 73 mindshaft // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:37 AM

I didn’t get the email – McClaren better buck his ideas up and add me to his email list or I’ll start a McCkren oot club

• 74 firebug666 // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Jesper

They played a waiting game, regardless of what has been said McClaren knew he had this job in January.

Like I said how it developed for him to get here is open to speculation, but the bottom line is he knew he was coming in.

Carver was used as a stop gap because nobody else would come in on a short contract till the end of the season, They tried that with Garde.

Point is, you just cannot trust this club, everything is cloak and dagger with them, and nothing is ever as it seems.

• 75 carl // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Lilongwe
    McClaren is a top coach but whether he can handle the pressures of managing NUFC is his biggest challenge. I believe and hope that he can get more from existing squad with a tactical awareness that has not been a feature of Ashley’s managerial appointments to date.

• 76 tynesidetommo // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Great words from Keith Bishop. Can’t wait to read the rest of his emails

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Carl,
    I’m sure we will get more from what we have, be it in style, substance or both. It will be interesting to see who responds well to the new coaching methods.

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:52 AM

The friendlies will make for much more interesting viewing this season then in our recent seasons.

• 79 sing in the corner // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:52 AM

I thought Colo was breaking his neck to get out of Newcastle back to his beloved Argentina. hy is nothing happening?? Get him out! Its an insult having a want away gutless player still hanging round picking up the wages and playing utter garbage, AND still the captain. Wages we give him will never be remotely possible – this is the reason he will ‘put up with NUFC’ a while longer.
    The dryness of my powder is now starting to come under threat. I woke up the remnants of a toon dream fading away…but I can remember that it contained the CB pairing of Colo and Willo still on the team sheet! Please no! This is the priority. Who is the captain Mr Mc Laren?

• 80 will die for the toon army // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Wat NUFC provides is job stability and patience. That is wat Mcclaren provided the board. At his age no one will change his mind like any young coach and besides he is close to home.

We will have Mcclaren for the next 10 years. Wat matters we stay top 10 club. By next year we will b e 15th richest club

• 81 Slank // Jul 3, 2015 at 7:55 AM

The things that McClaren has said and the things he appears to have already started on the training pitch points to a different style of play than what we have been subjected to.

It looks like the emphasis will be on controlled possession and keeping the ball. I think the pace may be slower with fewer gun-ho charges down the field (a relief no doubt for Anita) and lumping the ball forward (which should remove Williamson from selection) and kicking the ball into touch which should force Krul to shape up or ship out.

• 82 will die for the toon army // Jul 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM

All our players lost value last season and no one is interested in signing them am really shocked that Cisse and tiote have any interest. All we hop is that Mcclaren can get e best out of them.

• 83 sweendog // Jul 3, 2015 at 8:09 AM

• 84 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 3, 2015 at 8:11 AM

will die for …then it’s just a continuation of what we had under Pardew!

…maybe Newcastle has just made me cynical or maybe I am just looking for something else.

McClaren for me is like hiring Sven Göran of even KK again. Think we need something entirely else and definitely a well equipped coaching staff to make up for his short comings.

• 85 Tsunki // Jul 3, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Well I sincerely hope mclaren brings in a proper passing fame, haven’t seen it for years at sjp. In fact the only time we seem to have strung some passing moves together and have clicked we seem to have scored from them. Perhaps McLaren’s change of style will be our first secret weapon, they’ll all be waiting for Willo to jog up to the penalty area….and BOOM! Proper corner! Proper header! 3 men prowling at the 25-30 yard mark to mop up the cleared ball and spray back wide again! No more nodding back into the area, ball cleared to runner, beats them one against three, and slides past Krul for the sickener. Hopefully.

• 86 firebug666 // Jul 3, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Tsunki

And no more sitting back and allowing them the ball, Hopefully McClaren will have the pressing the ball higher up the pitch.

• 87 Mag52 // Jul 3, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Mr.Tuff.
    You just can’t get Pardew out of your mind can you Mr.T ?
    The idea that any serious comparison with the team’s achievements under AP and that under SM can be made is pretty daft anyway as, hopefully, we’ll get in some new players and get rid of some of the old ones before the season starts.
    It’s a sure bet that in the coming season you’ll be keeping a close check on Palace’s results week by week in a misguided attempt to justify your anti Pardew stance. Let’s hope it’s not too disappointing a season for you.

• 88 LooneyToon41 // Jul 3, 2015 at 9:39 AM

If it’s genuine, the reply to McClaren’s email makes me cringe with embarrassment. It’s schoolboy playground stuff.
    Like most fans, I’m very wary that McClaren won’t be given the additional tools he needs to take us forward, out of this depressing mire we find ourselves in.
    But for the love of god, at least give him a chance, and at least show a decent human being, a bit of respect!

• 89 mactoon // Jul 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM

It keeps saying this email went to ‘fans’. As an ex season ticket holder, the club have my email address but I didn’t get the mail. Just to be more accurate, did it actually go to club members who have renewed their tickets? (in the same way they are charging members more for friendlies if they havent renewed?)

previous post: Steve McClaren Announces Strong Coaching Team