The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Time For This Man To Speak Up At Newcastle

11:16 am, Saturday, July 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 61 Comments

It’s not always easy to go in front of 1.000 people in a ballroom and give a one hour presentation on your stuff, but when you an executive at a company, that’s part of the job and it’s what you are expected to do.

In the real world of business, you are also expected to go and talk with customers and be the voice of the company to them.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – Newcastle’s Managing Director

Now if you are shy and even withdrawn that can be difficult but it’s still part of the job – you don’t get to not do it because you may uncomfortable.

And in any case, with enough practice you get a lot better.

No we turn to the seemingly unreal world of football, with Lee Charnley as the top executive of Newcastle, and fans still haven’t heard one word from him, and we have no idea what he sounds like, or what he’s really like.

We even know what Mike Ashley sounds like now – after eight years as Newcastle owner – and it’s nothing like we expected.

Not all fans will agree,  but we thought Mike came over well in his Sky Sports interview, and we thought it was good that he came on the TV an hour before the kick-off,  when we could have landed up in the Championship at the end of that game.

We didn’t even think he would attend the game, with the Ashley Out crew in action during the previous games.

Ashley may have even set the stage for what was Newcastle’s best performance  by a long way under John Carver this year – and when it really mattered.

Jonas Gutierrez also went down in the annals of history at Newcastle United as a legend, given all he’s been through, after that fantastic performance from the Argentine when he made one goal and scored the other in the 2-0 win.

Jonas was subsequently voted the best player in Europe for that last weekend of play.

It was a great final game for Newcastle last season, after a calamitous 20 games under the woeful John Carver, who after each defeat proclaimed he was still the favorite to get the head coach job.

Malcolm Macdonald has written a good article in the Chronicle today,  and pointed out how good Steve McClaren is as the front man for Newcastle.

It also seems Steve will communicate directly with fans via email – as he did on Thursday.

Communication has never been good under Mike Ashley, and now Newcastle have only two preferred media outlets in Sky Sports and the Mirror – and that must change.

We don’t know what it is with Mike Ashley’s Newcastle,  but they seem to make enemies of the press – and they wonder why they get bad publicity?

We are looking forward to hearing more from Steve McClaren, as we go through pre-season but we also want to hear from Lee Charnley.

Lee should also be present on Monday night at the next Fan Forum meeting – so we should get some information from that, although Lee talks the party line far too much.

This meeting was also promised to be held before the end of the season, but it didn’t happen and nothing has been said about why it didn’t happen – it’s more poor communication from  Lee and the club.

We’d also like to hear more from owner Mike Ashley, and as we’ve suggested before, maybe a quarterly bulletin from the owner on how things are going, would be very good for the supporters.

Good communication never hurt any organization – even in the unreal world of football – and that’s an area than can be improved at Newcastle, and there are easy ways to do it.

Tags: Communication · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

61 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM

It won’t happen Ed.

I would not be surprised if the fans meeting gets cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. ….

Can’t see any reason why we haven’t signed one of our targets yet

• 2 Tayls // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Mike knows he doesn’t know how to run a footy club, hence why this structure is in place. Unfortunately fat man Lee is way out of his depth.

• 3 Mister Tuff // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM

sitc – I note you have no criticism of jib – who started the abuse this morning.- but you must think his abuse of me is ok but my retort needs criticism
    Selective criticism says it all.
    The WUMS are despoiling the blog – any criticism of that – thought not.

• 4 lesh // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Agree 100% with Ed though communication’s not Charnley’s only major weakness!

He gives me the impression of a silent Carver – totally out of his depth but believing he’s up to the MD role.

He isn’t and he needs to be replaced by an MD who has a clear understanding about how a big business works.

Oh and more importantly, Ashley should appoint a reputable head-hunter to source and pre-select candidates before they’re presented to Ashley for a final interview – or as Ashley might view it, breath onto a mirror to see if it steams up!

• 5 Ron Knee // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM

“… but we thought Mike came over well in his Sky Sports interview, …”
    The interview had nothing of substance. Merely PR bullsh*t.

• 6 clinath@ed // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM

I honestly believe we will see little in the buying department this summer. Too many factors point to a “wait and see” attitude, including the managements penny pinching approach.
    I read yesterday bloggers saying our players weren’t good enough and such, yet all last season we read how our two managers/coaches let the squad down…..we can’t have it both ways (or maybe it’s true), how much time SM wants before he buys, only time will tell….whether we have enough time to spare, that’s the real question.

• 7 Big Archie // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Ed – you are starting to sound like an 80’s shop steward.

Soon it will be “My members want this” and “Its about time the government started looking after the workers”

• 8 clinath@ed // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Mr T, I agree the WUMs do spoil this blog, making it unreadable some days. But the only way to silence them appears to be to just ignore them. Yours, and others, continual reaction is what they want, stop feeding their egos.
    Even some of them have decent blogs every now and then, but the constant bickering is what reall p!sses me off.

• 9 investinyouthtoon // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Personally I would get rid of Krul and replace him with Heaton from Burnley, as Krul’s quality seems to have declined and IMO has become somewhat of a liability. Whereas Heaton was somewhat of a revelation last season and is worth a punt. Although I think in an ideal world we would put most of the current squad in that category, and replace them all…..

Despite being one of the gullible ones and actually being quite optimistic about Ashley’s words at the time, but now in hindsight it’s becoming more and more obvious that they were just lies from a cornered slug who had been placed under more negative scrutiny.

• 10 lesh // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I’d be very surprised if Charnley has the balls to turn up at the FF.

He’ll be expecting a rough ride from fans and’ll probably get McClaren and Moncur to take the flak for him.

Spinelessness ain’t a good trait for an MD.

• 11 murvar // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Of course he talks the party line – he’s part of the party! Just as execs usually have to speak publically, they also usually have to represent their company and its boss – and they don’t have licence to express personal views or to criticise those from whom they take their salary. Those on this blog who expected Pardew to diss Ashley in public were living in an unreal world of their own making.

• 12 lesh // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Big Archie

They 80s shop-shop stewards have gone and unions weakened to such an extent that many people are unemployed or employed in temporary, low-paid jobs.

People have got to speak up or be trodden into the ground.

• 13 Mister Tuff // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM

clinath@ed – I responded to abuse.
    Have to dash now – back later.

• 14 mactoon // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM

‘Ashley may have even set the stage for what was Newcastle’s best performance’

I seriously doubt the players were sitting watching Sky Sports an hour before kick off and were motivated by what he said!

It would also appear that he said nothing of substance other than to acknowledge the blame was his and he would continue to invest in the club. Nothing about how he would invest in player recruitment or change the way things are done for the better. In my opinion giving out bad or misleading information is just as bad or worse than no communication at all and so far nothing has been done to prove lessons have been learned.

• 15 investinyouthtoon // Jul 4, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Charmless wont turn up for the forum, it’ll be some rubbish that he is away negotiating a deal, or has a bad head, or that he’s stopping in to wash his hair.

If he does turn up it’ll be a good old fashioned lynching, or will they strip search everyone that goes in

• 16 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Charmless is on holiday until the close of the Transfer window!!!!

• 17 optimistic prime // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:09 PM

I can’t beleive so many people losing their minds over the likes of Austin

The only way he’ll be like a shearer is if he gets a job on a sheep farm.

With the names banded about and the way fans lose their minds over dross, 8 more years of the same will be easy for Ashley as some fans are actually begging for it

Ashley out

• 18 nut meg // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM

You gotta laff, from the mag.

• 19 wynsleap // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Might only be a small point Ed but when you talk about inept individuals in our club by using only their first name ie Lee and Mike and recently Alan and John it makes my teeth itch.
    These useless people destroying our club do not deserve to have the first name reverence afforded to them in the same way as we talked about Al, Kevin and Sir Bobby.
    All they deserve is total contempt.

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Ashley Out Crew!

• 21 WLtoon // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Here we are going into the 2nd wk of july and no sign of single new face thru the door.
    Ok so players did,nt make themselves available til july 1st but why should that stop us signing anyone before then.
    Liverpool have 6 over their LINE, Villa 2, Swansea, Southampton and West Ham have at least 2 before July 1st came around.
    Im fed up of excuses from blinkered fans telling us that it takes time,they must be getting backhanders from Fatman and co.
    So much for the new direction the club are supposed to be taking,setting up a new Football board which is as much use as a choccy fireguard, that was just a smokescreen to sell ST.
    Incompitance with a capital I seems to be the norm ut Sid James park these days.

• 22 martoon // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I’m still waiting for my Email Steve – I’m only a ST holder!

• 23 terencelim // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Ashley OUT

• 24 BandB // Jul 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM

nut meg

I’ve been pointing that the preferred media parters with expect the truth in return for the deal they have struck.

However the club, being the Walter Mitty of the football world, has form for telling rather large porkies to previous preferred partners.

Simon Bird at the Mirror has already been made to look like a complete chump.

Like the scorpion in the fable, lying is in its nature.

• 25 Jib // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM

I thought exactly the same.
    I bet when Ed addressed 1000 people in that ballroom he treated IBM like home on the range ,
    “where seldom is heard a discouraging word
    and the party line maintained every day”

• 26 hibbit // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:03 PM

martoon….we gave our tickets up at the end of season 13/14 ……2 kids 1 adult and we got 3 emails from Mc have you been a naughty boy

• 27 BandB // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM

My guess is that by “promoting” Moncur to the so-called board, Ashley is attempting to take Charnley as well as himself out of the firing line
    I expect Moncur will be taking on a lot of the fan-related questions and issues, as he has been in recent weeks.

• 28 BandB // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM

…..I should have said…”the urge to sting” is in it’s nature.

• 29 nut meg // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:10 PM

It doesn’t seem to take very long for this motley crew to p*ss people off . As a young boy I was always taught to never believe a liar. I never believe anything that comes from this lot!

• 30 Jib // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I see people are still staying we should approach PSG for Yohan Cabaye — nahh

We should approach PSG alright but for Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    He only has 11 months on his contract they would take £7 million
    Then give him £12million a year ( ManU give that to Rooney) on a rolling contract.

He is 33 and would love a Swansong in the EPL
    Shearers figures in his last 3 years from 33 to 36 were —– 61 goals in 97 games
    His wages would be covered by the picked up 1/3 ST sales.
    No brainer
    Thats what I’d call a Marque signing !!!!!!

• 31 expatmag // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:21 PM

leopards dont change their spots and the Ashley interview confirmed only one thing for sure.

that he will remain in charge for as long as he can fleece us for every penny the greedy twat can get.

Even when there is only 10k attending home games and we finish 4th bottom each season.

• 32 Jib // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Bye the way
    Happy Independence Day

• 33 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM

It’s a pity in a way Ashley didn’t keep trying to bludgeon his way through the Rangers takeover.

• 34 carl // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:29 PM

I am afraid that I have to disagree with you. That would take us back to Freddie Shepherd and the disaster period classed as his annual “marquee signing”. High cost and limited return from those looking for a final pay day. As I said at length yesterday Cabaye with his range of passing would transform a static midfield. Austin up front and a dominant CB and roll on August 9th.
    I would like to engage further but a barbecue appeals more. Keep it football related and this blog could get back to where it used to be ie. A Football Blog.

• 35 optimistic prime // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:29 PM

After the Keegan court case you’d have to be pretty stupid to beleive a word that comes from the reigeme.

Who knows what you’d have to be to become a preferred media partner.

Paying for lies, you couldn’t make it up.

• 36 optimistic prime // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Ian Carl and pushy are having a BBQ

• 37 nut meg // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I have believed for years that the reason for Ashley not giving interviews was never because he was a shy kind of person. I doubt he could talk for very long without tripping himself up in a live interview that wasn’t spoon fed to him with the softest of questions like sky sports done. That was IMHO ….shameful & how people were fooled by it was baffling to me.

• 38 BandB // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM

I am guessing then, that bitching about previous regimes is football related but questioning the current one is politics.

• 39 Belfast // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM

So what happened to nufc digest then ?

• 40 Belfast // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM is no longer available.

The authors have deleted this site.

• 41 carl // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Lazy theorising.

• 42 carl // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM

You can learn a lot from history and recognise the mistakes you’ve made in the past.
    Forgive me but I believe in treating women on an equal basis rather than pretend that I do whilst patronising and mollycoddling them . I don’t always get it right. I really must go.

• 43 JamesToon // Jul 4, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Dunno what happened to nufc digest, Belfast.

Three marquee signings that could make us a force again: Joël Matíp, Georginio Wijnaldum, Charlie Austin. If we could spend even bigger, get Jetro Willems, Andros Townsend and Aleksander Mitrovic.

• 44 lochinvar // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Don’t be so unfair Ed there is plenty of evidence that Charnley and Ashley have been seen out together and speaking with one voice

• 45 Toon Tang // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:09 PM

I bet he needs to push one of them electric boxes to his throat to get a sentence out this lad.

• 46 optimistic prime // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Learning from our mistakes can be seen in the continued farse with communication. Just like the new recruits that turn up, full of promise but no actual substance.

What’s changed from the last 8years to warrant such blind faith?

Moncour Carr McLaren and Charnley on the board, window dressing.

I think we now have some preferred fans out there, ones who’ll happily lap it up no matter what is said or done.

If something worthwhile actually happened I might change my opinion.

What’s happening with the regime and certain fans is the same as the pretty girl who silly boys buy drinks for on the promise of a knee trembler that never comes.

• 47 Jib // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM

I see after the 3 teams that came up from the championship Sunderland are next favourites for relegation

• 48 will die for the toon army // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Where is Woodman, Collocini, Ameobi and Durmett? Looking thru videos and Pics. No see.

• 49 will die for the toon army // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM

1. Collocini
    2. Sisoko
    3. Krul
    4. Colback
    5. De Jong
    6. S. Taylor
    7. Janmatt
    8. Toite
    9. Cabaye (If he comes back)

My Vote is for De Jong.
    7. Toite

• 50 Mr Magpie // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:39 PM

I saw there was a message on there earlier on that they had received a cease & desist from NUFC & that they would be closing down the site.

TFL will be upset…..

• 51 Sammmy // Jul 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM

I wonder what he would sound like cause i didn’t expect Mike Ashley to speak like he did. He didn’t sound as villainous as i would have imagined.

• 52 Jib // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM

There you go
    The coaching team

• 53 Jib // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM

I notice Ian Cathro isn’t wearing shorts
    Benton is a bit cooler than Valencia bonny lad

• 54 Essex Geordie Bill // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Re. an earlier thread, I’d be happy to see us go for Chris Martin. Reminds me a bit of Micky Quinn and he did ok with us.

Someone also mentioned somewhere Michael Bradley he would be a hell of a player for the EPL, can’t see why no one has tried to sign him.

Actually I quite like the idea of a cheeky bid for Zlatan obviously never going to happen though!!

• 55 Essex Geordie Bill // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:12 PM

a few comma’s would make my post make more sense. 🙂

• 56 Essex Geordie Bill // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Mike Ashley looks a bit like the villain in ‘Despicable Me’ although he turned out to be a good guy in the end. Will our story have a similar happy ending, I’m not holding my breath.

• 57 Harley // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:19 PM

It’s unbelievable to think after last seasons disaster we still haven’t signed anyone.

I don’t buy in to all this missing out on another target talk, as there’s no evidence any of these players were ever targets. However, the fact we haven’t signed Austin is baffling.

Just pay the money and get the players in we need.

A striker, 2 centre backs and 1 winger. A cabaye type would be a bonus but im not fussy.

• 58 stan anderson // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM

It’s looking like the normal shafting again and some people on here buy it.
    Charnley is a balloon head but who give him the job.
    Ashley OOT

• 59 Kris // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Checking if we have signed some player every day, every hour. But think It’s no time to worry. People must remember we have got a new coach and a new system. The coach wanna tale a look at our team, before he decides what we he really thinks we need and wich players he want us to sell. Think we will sign at least one good player before the match against Gateshade next week.

• 60 clinath@ed // Jul 4, 2015 at 3:31 PM

If Charlie Austin is all that, how come no other team has forked out the asking price for him..?

• 61 isleofmanman // Jul 4, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Charnley is a survivor / bag carrier who only goes one way…with the flow.

He is unconnected at an appropriately high national and international football executive level

In modern business speak he is ‘not fit for purpose’

Until Ashley shoves off this well fed individual will be going nowhere

previous post: New Player Sets Sights On First Team Place Next Season

next post: Why Are Newcastle Not After Inter-Milan Star?