Newcastle Close In On First Summer Signing

Newcastle haven’t signed one single player so far but there’s news in the Mirror that we are about to sign 19 year-old striker Ivan Toney from Northampton Town.

Toney made his first team debut for Northampton in November 2012, in a 3–3 draw with Bradford City in the FA Cup, and became at 16 years old the youngest first team player in Northampton’s history.

ivan toney

Ian Toney – 19 year-old Northampton striker

Ivan will not cost much and the Mirror is reporting that Newcastle will pay around £300K for the 5′ 11¨ tall striker who doesn’t turn 20 until next March.

We would have liked the first signing to be a big name – like Charlie Austin for example – but maybe this will give Newcastle a bit of momentum in the transfer window.

Ivan will be expected to join Peter Beardsley’s Development squad, but of course if he’s good enough then Steve McClaren will give him his chance in the first team squad.

It’s also possible that Newcastle will loan him out to a Championship side next season, but the Newcastle head coach will want to take a look at him first in pre-season.

This weekend is also supposed to be a crucial one according to the local papers, as the club tries to bring in one or two of our top transfer targets.

Newcastle fans are waiting for something to happen in what has so far been a  boring and disappointing summer.

Since our last game of the season six weeks ago, when we only just avoided relegation, we still haven’t signed one of our transfer targets.

• JamesToon

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Rumours going around that palace have agreed a fee of €14million for Yohan Cabaye

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Wow!

I am so excited I just can’t hide it!
    I am about to loose control
    And I think I like it 😉

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:09 PM

I can see another article on this guy very soon. But this time it will say newcastle miss out on another target!!

• lochinvar

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Cabaye’s missus wants to be in Londres – third largest French City by population.
    It’s got nothing to do with football , just money and shopping.
    Now we know who wears the trousers in that house.
    Over to you Mrs.Austin

• ZIPPIE57

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:10 PM

the press have been tipped off to be at the training ground tomorrow , all due respect i hope its not for this kid

• Keith in France

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I live near Bordeaux and the news from here is that we are going to sign a striker from Bordeaux – just trying to find out who it is !

• Keith in France

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Bordeaux striker is Rolan – don’t know more than that other than 10 million euro bid

• BandB

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM

By this time next year, another huge tranche of players will be out of contract.
    We’ll have about 20 over-age players left on the books, and the rest of the squad will be made up of players like this, who can potentially fill two or three places on the match-day bus.
    All we have to do is avoid relegation one more time.
    And it will be 2016…that year the club gnomically dropped hints about as being the time when Ashley might sell.
    I think there is more than this than meets the eye.

• croftus5678

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:20 PM

ivan toooooooooney

our next alan shearer…….no…too soon eh ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:27 PM

I don’t know if this has been discussed today I haven’t really been on, but it makes a very interested read:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Keith…we have been linked to Diego Rolán before!

• Belfast

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Hahaha aye Jesper interesting if you’re thick enough to believe it.

• beermonkey

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:39 PM

jesper

but is any of it true

• Ron Knee

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:41 PM

jesper
    The Sud-Ouest newspaper says our 15-million euro bid has been rejected by Bordeaux.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Belfast…you believe it too 😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:44 PM

beer…I don’t know, but for some reason I could actually buy it!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Ron…do you know anything about that player?

• Belfast

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Oh aye Dave who is 50 remembers when he was 9 like it was yesterday hahaha

Of course he does….

• Belfast

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:47 PM

I’ve a feeling magic mushrooms where being added to the burgers at this barbecue

• murvar

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Ed has missed the throwaway comment in the same Mirror article about this lad – it says that he will be our first summer signing UNLESS THE WIJNALDUM DEAL IS SEALED FIRST!!

• beermonkey

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM

jesper

to be fair there all easy to buy into because they confirm what we already think of the man

the one where grabs a lift he was athletic in his youth and was top squash player if it wasn’t for an injury he would have gone pro so I am not to sure on the lift one

• optimistic prime

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Which press have been tipped off?
    Preferred partners?

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Diego Rolan looks nothing special so I am mog fussed if we miss out on him. I’m hoping we get better quality than that.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM

beer…but it fits so well 🙂

Belfast…those stories are not easy to forget and would probably be retold over and over again!

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM

WIJNALDUM however would be exactly the quality we need. Hopefully they have deals lined up but keeping quiet until all signed. Who knows with ashley.

• Ron Knee

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM

jesper
    All I know is he managed to score 15 goals last season. His ‘Best of’ on YouTube looks nothing special.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM

beer…imagine if the fat one was or really is a Newcastle fan!

…you have to wonder what we did to deserve this 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Ron…so nothing to get excited about then!

• BandB

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:59 PM

I would say, as one with imminent experience in the matter, that we crumblies are perfectly capable of remembering childhood events with far greater clarity than things that have happened later in life.
    Life speeds up as you get older. It’s in slow-motion until you are 30. After that, it’s a blur.
    I think anyone who isn’t in their 20’s would tell you that.
    And we are less inclined to confidently mock things we know nowt about.

• croftus5678

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM

i’m more exited about ivan tooooooooney than i am about rolan.

wijnaldum would be a great signing though ! just …we have like 40 cm’s allready !

• Ron Knee

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:01 PM

jesper
    Two weeks ago The Chronicle said he was priced at £4 million. That’s inflation for you!

• croftus5678

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:02 PM

@29 bandb

i dunno i forget what happened 5 mins ago nvm what happened 30 years ago !

• beermonkey

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:03 PM

jesper

I wont take it away from you

the fan one lol there is no way he is a fan of this great club
    he is a football fan I believe goes to the euros and world cup from what I have read
    so being a football and a Newcastle fan why on earth was he sitting there watching pardews version of attacking football
    there is no way he is a fan of our club

• Lynny

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:03 PM

300,000. Were big spenders like! He seems a canny talent, but I would have thought that given since December last year we all knew where we needed to strengthen and the types of players we needed that they would have at least one proven player in by now! Giving – like a new 5m signing. Marvoux is like a new 6m signing. de Jong is like a new 10m signing. rivierre has been on fire in training – money well spent. 2 notts Forrest lads – like new signings. This lad for 300k! Jimminy jellikas batman we’ve pretty much got a brand new first team squad there! The horse is bolted to the cart lads! Job well done eh? Ha ha ha ha

• Lynny

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:04 PM

That should have said vucikc not giving!

• BandB

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:09 PM

croftus,

I can remember events that happened at school with crystal clarity, when I can’t remember my childrens’ first words, my parents’ last words or very much about my career.
    I’m not saying I believe the story particularly. Just that some things that happen in childhood do stick.

• croftus5678

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:14 PM

@36 bandb

its prob cos i hated school and i was always in detention that most days just blended into one lol.

ye important stuff sticked i.e. some teachers ect but other things when reminded by others i’ve a blank ! must be selective memory loss 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:19 PM

beer…I does seem strange I’ll admit!

• optimistic prime

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:23 PM

The reason that Dave bloke remembers is because he now hates his mam.

If he’d got a lift to school instead he’d be worth billions.

• JamesToon

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Krul,
    Janmaat, Taylor, Matíp, Haïdara
    Wijnaldum, Tiote, SDJ
    Thauvin, Austin, Perez

That team would make us a force again.