It Could Have Been A Lot Worse For Newcastle This Summer

One good thing about last season – and there weren’t many – was that three of the players we brought in last summer did very well for the club, in what was another  terrible season for us.

Daryl Janmaat (53%) was our Player of the Season,  with young Ayoze Perez (18%) the runner-up and Jack Colback (16%) in third place,  with over 5,000 readers having voted.

jack colback in training

Jack Colback in training last week

It would be good if we can bring in three players this summer who can do very well for us next season.

If we can do that we should do a lot better than last season when we finished in 15th place – the sixth time in the eight seasons under Mike Ashley that Newcastle finished in the lower half of the Premier league.

Fans are downcast at the moment because of a lack of signings and Newcastle are a difficult club to sell to players these days, with the club always seeming to be in one crisis or another.

Local lad Jack Colback is as positive as ever,  and he had these words to say in the Chronicle today:

“It would have been depressing, obviously, if we had been relegated,  but it didn’t happen and now it’s a new start for everybody at the club.”

“Hopefully we can do a lot better than we did last year. It’s a level playing field, and a fresh start.”

“You’ve got to prove yourself again. So it’s about doing as well as you can on the training field and then hopefully being in that first XI for the start of the season.”

Jack makes a good point there in that as bad as it seems at the moment, things could have been a lot worse if we had been relegated last season – so we suppose the good news is that we survived – just.

But that’s a bit like saying you can cheer yourself up by knocking your head against a brick wall for five minutes, because when you stop it does feel a lot better.

Try it.

🙂

We have to hope that the new coaching team with Steve McClaren as the new head coach can get the best out of the players we already have.

They can do a lot better than John Carver, who irritated both fans and players alike with the stupid comments he kept making in his press conferences.

It’s a new start at Newcastle with the coaches – and we are hoping the club can get some good players through the door this summer.

If we can do that we could even get a top ten finish in the Premier League for only the third time in nine seasons, with Mike Ashley as the owner.

And with where the club is at the moment, that would be a success.

But getting good players in over this summer, after the terrible season Newcastle have just had, is proving to be very difficult.

What do you think?

• Reyantoon

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:01 AM

That “nufcdigest ” site writes some attractive articles since created and engaged here.But looks like it’s closed now or banned for some reason.But I’m afraid that site is created by Tfl himself!

• BandB

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM

“Anything’s better than Carver.”
    “Things could be worse.”

Odd phrases masquerading as optimism on the blog these days.

• Slank

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM

REPOST

will die for the toon army @ 81

I agree that we should be looking for a competitive squad but finances always come into play.

If a good offer comes in for Tiote, Sissoko or/and Cisse I believe the club will take the money. Georginio Wijnaldum, Florian Thauvin and Charlie Austin would appear to be their direct replacements.

I don’t think we can compete with the top 6 even with McClaren’s couching. We are not better than Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Band

Superb reference to urination on last thread.

Much like you, over the past few years, I had lost all hope mostly due to the inept Pardew and Co. management.

However, we now have a coaching team possibly the best since Keegans first stint and certainly since SBR days and I am becoming hopeful we might get on the right track at last.

I understand your reticence though.

• lesh

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Reyan

I noticed that Digest was closed last night and Tfl’s been under the surgeon’s knife.

TfL – you ok?

• Jib

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Reyantoon
    I have been informed this geezer

has something to do with NUFCDigest.

• beermonkey

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:15 AM

lesh

tfl popped on yest afternoon and it didn’t go to well and was going back under at 4.30 yest

slank

top 6 is beyond us unless the club is allowed to invest proper sums on proper players the only way for us to get there is to do a Southampton and nurture our own talent and not sell them

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Off for sunday roast dinner…..Roast chicken

Lovely jubbly

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:18 AM

fans a round the world need to remember only austins price is in pounds the rest are euros about 20 % less it makes a differance

• sportiquet5

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Whilst the transfer window so far has been disappointing I’m not even getting nervous I work in the admin office ticket allocation department there’s been a few solid whispers in the office which seem solid enough, yet remain in the rumour stage as no evidence as of yet. Austin was rumoured to have been shown round St James park early in June , an offer placed for will Hughes which was rejected on the spot, an offer for promes of Moscow is being considered at the moment , we tried softly for gignac rejected quickly like I said we get little hard facts anymore sorry guys

• BandB

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM

expat,

It worries me that while little is coming out of the club, what IS emerging is very similar in tone to what Colback is saying above.

“Look lads, perk up, we didn’t get relegated. That’s a big positive, when you think of it. New coaching team in place. Fresh start for the whole squad…..we all know we must do better next time……”

Look at Colback’s last paragraph. Him or someone like him trotted out a variation of that every week of the seven game losing run.

Two weeks ago I posted in disbelief that they were going to try to convince us that signing McClaren was a panacea to all our ills.

Hats off to “new” poster Jib.
    He is now the blog guru……

• nut meg

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Still the same priorities …….2 CBs first & foremost. At least 1 CF. Then you can fill the other positions.We’ve had the same problems at the back since the year dot……fix it first then we might give ourselves a chance of making progress.Goals win games but, we would have to score at least 1 goal to get a draw as we concede goals for fun.

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

WIJNALDUM is ideal for us. Forget thauvin.

I would buy two of evans/vlaar/matip for centre back.

For me we must buy austin and another quality striker. I am not convinced by diego rolan.

• lochinvar

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

99lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:14 AM

If Winjaldu arrives and they make De Jong Captain then Krul will stay as alongside Anita and others we have a Dutch Core to keep everyone including wives and families happy. It actually a well thought out strategy. And with Newcastle to Amsterdam a short hop no problems with family and friends visits. Winjaldu is not daft- if he’s turned down the Mackems one of the reasons is that their airport is Newcastle International airport ( ha ha ) and is close to Darras Hall.

Jib@59 and Slank@62 make good points – a vocal De Jong as Captain with some Anglo-Saxon opinions expressed would be great for team spirit and crowd atmosphere ! I’ve worked with the Dutch and they are hugely friendly, outgoing, humorous and passionate – all great qualities . A favourite expression for hangers on was always in English ” effing tourists” – exactly we don’t need any time wasters just winners.

And if Diego Roland turns up is he not Cisse mark two in style and finishing in the box, allowing Cisse to take his pay day in the sun of Qatar or cold of Russia. The trend seems to be young Euro players into the Prem, prove yourselves and maybe get a Champions League side , after which move back to new Prem side or be shipped off to some obscure but wealthy club to top your pension fund. Nice.

• The overrated Frenchman

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I think Colback is bloody awful…

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Frenchman

He’s not that good

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Ashley out, along with his half wit apologists

• Reyantoon

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Thanks for the update/informxn guys-Jib,lesh..
    I didn’t know that.

Jib- are you a health doctor?

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Back from dinner……absolutely top notch by the missus yet again.

Band

We can discuss, gesticulate or jump up and down and wave our knickers in the air on protest all we like but in the grand scheme of things, McLaren has only had 3 weeks in the job, 1 week with his coaching staff and majority of players and has still to meet some of his stars.

It is still early days and I am confident we will be fine although not signing most of the big names being banded about.

• BandB

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM

OP

You have to keep making your case.
    People like Jib keep on coming, never deviate, never take their ball home.
    He is playing his cards very successfully. He has managed to make “maybe we don’t need to sign anyone,” sound like a positive message, and it is being lapped up.
    That’s because “get lost, troll,’ isn’t an argument.

• DicBDownUnder

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Not sure about anyone else, but I’m pretty tired of all this now. I had so much optimism, Williamson leaving, perhaps Colo too, new cbs, Tiote off, Abeid maybe given a chance… It’s gone from a ‘squad overhaul’ to needin 5 or 6 players, then to 4 or 5…

• DicBDownUnder

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:08 AM

… Players and now to 3 or 4… Total utter crap. We still need rid of those of championship quality, and I certainly don’t wana hear the loan lads of last season are ‘like new signings’….SPEND MONEY YOU FAT PR!CK. ASHLEY OUT!

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Expat

Schteeve must have banged his head if he’s seeing stars, there’s none at NUFC 😉

I’m not sure if I buy the Schteeve assessing the squad line. He was offered the job twice, he must have watched a cpl games during the run from Xmas even if it was out of boredom.
    He couldve easily watched every match we played last year, in the last 3 weeks. He’d learn more watching last seasons games than watching them in training for 2 months IMO

Personally I think we’re stuck with the likes of colo Saylor etc and he’s been told to make do, a cpl of signings but not the overhaul the squad needs, especially at CB.

A striker a midfielder and a cpl potential players is all we’ll see.

Ashley out!

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:12 AM

BandB

Who’s jib?

• Jib

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM

BandB

Do you remember where you picked up your vast footballing knowledge ?

Heady days they were,the sky gathered again.
    And the sun grew round that very day.
    So it must have been after the birth of the simple light , in the first, spinning place.

Oh how we laughed

• BandB

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM

OP

He’s the bloke who’s winning the argument.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Let me hop De Jong aint like Emre. Kept us on out toes until he left without doing much. Kept us anticipating if this if not.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Sportiquet5 – can you give us an inside view on the ST sales. Are they as low as some rumours I.e down about 30%?

• will die for the toon army

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:24 AM

expatmag

SBR had Carver in his coaching team

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Bandb

I’d think the clubs actions stop any need to argue about it’s intentions, unless you like grasping at straws. Jib?

I suppose there’s people out there that think we haven’t sold anybody because the club doesn’t want to sell. Nothing to do with the fact the players have been so bad no one wants them.

As I said yesterday Ashley’s preferred fan base is begging for 8 more years of the same.

Ashley out.

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM

• nut meg

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Lequipe are saying that Sissoko is being linked with Liverpool, Arsenal & Man.U. also interested.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM

BandB

Surely there is no argument. The squad needs players . It has done for several seasons now. Anyone left who can’t see that is a lost cause. I say let them believe they are winning an argument that, in reality, does not exist. As long as the majority of fans are still crying out for improvment, then the club will still have a clear message of what the supporters, fans and followers want.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM

OP

Bear with me on this one.

I am a fully qualified coach having taken all my coaching courses many years ago.

I was approached to coach a club that had been relegated 2 years in a row. Most of their better players left. The support dwindled to just a few hundred and the board were disjointed and disillusioned.

The standard of football coached into the players was long ball and totally uninventive. The very basics had been ignored and the youth teams were not interested in promoting their better youngsters to the senior squad.

I commenced pre season early, sacking the previous coaching back room staff and brought in a team I knew and trusted.

Over a period of 4 weeks, we assessed the current players, releasing those not up to it and recruiting new players to boost the squad. I paid out very little money and adapted my training plans initially to fitness and ballwork, snd then adopting a plan a, b and c for the squad to work to.

My youth team players trained twice a week with my senior team and given plenty if opportunities in practise matches.

After the first 5 games, we were midtable, having won 2 lost 3. It was at this time that 2 players I needed became available and having signed them, we went on an unbeaten run of 13 games taking us to the top of the table where we remained till the end of the season..

How did we do it?

Pure psychology and teamwork built around confidence, self belief and the willingness to go that extra yard for each other.

My players, pound for pound as individuals, were nowhere near as skillful as some players they played against in that league but they had heart, commitment and new how to play to our game plans and change when instructed.

By the end of the season, the board were encouraged to work harder. I was turning interested quality players away that I would have signed 8 months earlier and the supporters returned in their droves and the money came rolling back in again.

The moral of this story is that under a quality sensible and experienced approach by coaching staff, anything can really be achieved and I am a lot more confident of progression on the field in a style we will enjoy under Mclaren and co. than I would have been under Pardew and Co.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Have we really dimished our beliefs in what is a quality footballer or who could REALLY become a quality footballer.
    I speak of Obertron.
    I did a lengthy profile of him, on here, a couple of years ago, where I produced his entire career stats from Bordeaux onwards.
    He showed some promise as a youth and attended Clairefontaine. Apart from the early suggested “promise” he has subsequently flopped – even taking into consideration lengthy injury absences here and at Man U. He tries hard and has a superb physique – but he will never ever be a top flight player.
    From his early days at Bordeaux in 2006 to the present day he has scored about 6 league goals. Repeat 6 goals in about nine years.
    I shake my head in disbelief that some now suggest he could be our saviour or be an integral part of a new team/future at SJP.
    Some say he’s a confidence player -I am now forced to use those strong words -utter bollocks.
    Obertron is on record as saying he should be playing for France, he is also on record as saying in a one to one situation he would trust in his ability every time.
    Six goals in 9 years.
    I despair!

• musomag

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Anyone heard about Van Ginkel wanting a loan move here?

• The overrated Frenchman

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM

OP@31 – I agree, some good points made. This squad does look like a “jumble sale” rather than a playing group carefully and intelligently put together. I’ve described them before as a rag-tag bunch of misfits, second-raters, and other assorted flotsam and jetsam. Funny isn’t it, how that happens when an owner who knows nothing about football delegates responsibility to others who are equally clueless, and then doesn’t give them the resources to even possibly make a fist of it. I guess that’s basically what Keegan said.

• expatmag

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM

TUFF

Since leaving Bordeaux, he has been largely ignored initially by Fergie who must have seen something in him to sign him in the first place and the inept one.

For a.period last season until his injury against Liverpool, he was excellent and we really missed his pace and ability to beat a man (when his confidence is up). I wasnt the only one on here who mentioned this.

If McLaren can get his confidence up again, I see no reason why he cant be considered valuable to the squad.

• martoon

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM

The overrated Frenchman @15 – Sorry but you are talking through your backside. I don’t know if you go to matches but at the game you can see that Colback puts in a shift and never stops tackling and trying to win the ball – he also chips in with goals. Yes he is not gifted with silky skills but he is the type of hard working midfield player that every team needs!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM

I have some confidence that SM will improve some of the younger lads, and get the best out of the rest…however, the ‘best’ of some of those players is probably not going to be good enough. SM can’t polish turds after all. Squidward, Willo, Riviere et.c should still be packed off and replaced.

1 2 3 5