The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

It Could Have Been A Lot Worse For Newcastle This Summer

9:00 am, Sunday, July 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 167 Comments

One good thing about last season – and there weren’t many – was that three of the players we brought in last summer did very well for the club, in what was another  terrible season for us.

Daryl Janmaat (53%) was our Player of the Season,  with young Ayoze Perez (18%) the runner-up and Jack Colback (16%) in third place,  with over 5,000 readers having voted.

jack colback in training

Jack Colback in training last week

It would be good if we can bring in three players this summer who can do very well for us next season.

If we can do that we should do a lot better than last season when we finished in 15th place – the sixth time in the eight seasons under Mike Ashley that Newcastle finished in the lower half of the Premier league.

Fans are downcast at the moment because of a lack of signings and Newcastle are a difficult club to sell to players these days, with the club always seeming to be in one crisis or another.

Local lad Jack Colback is as positive as ever,  and he had these words to say in the Chronicle today:

“It would have been depressing, obviously, if we had been relegated,  but it didn’t happen and now it’s a new start for everybody at the club.”

“Hopefully we can do a lot better than we did last year. It’s a level playing field, and a fresh start.”

“You’ve got to prove yourself again. So it’s about doing as well as you can on the training field and then hopefully being in that first XI for the start of the season.”

Jack makes a good point there in that as bad as it seems at the moment, things could have been a lot worse if we had been relegated last season – so we suppose the good news is that we survived – just.

But that’s a bit like saying you can cheer yourself up by knocking your head against a brick wall for five minutes, because when you stop it does feel a lot better.

Try it.

🙂

We have to hope that the new coaching team with Steve McClaren as the new head coach can get the best out of the players we already have.

They can do a lot better than John Carver, who irritated both fans and players alike with the stupid comments he kept making in his press conferences.

It’s a new start at Newcastle with the coaches – and we are hoping the club can get some good players through the door this summer.

If we can do that we could even get a top ten finish in the Premier League for only the third time in nine seasons, with Mike Ashley as the owner.

And with where the club is at the moment, that would be a success.

But getting good players in over this summer, after the terrible season Newcastle have just had, is proving to be very difficult.

What do you think?

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Daryl Janmaat · Jack Colback · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

167 responses so far ↓

• 1 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:01 AM

That “nufcdigest ” site writes some attractive articles since created and engaged here.But looks like it’s closed now or banned for some reason.But I’m afraid that site is created by Tfl himself!

• 2 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:04 AM

“Anything’s better than Carver.”
    “Things could be worse.”

Odd phrases masquerading as optimism on the blog these days.

• 3 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM

REPOST

will die for the toon army @ 81

I agree that we should be looking for a competitive squad but finances always come into play.

If a good offer comes in for Tiote, Sissoko or/and Cisse I believe the club will take the money. Georginio Wijnaldum, Florian Thauvin and Charlie Austin would appear to be their direct replacements.

I don’t think we can compete with the top 6 even with McClaren’s couching. We are not better than Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool.

• 4 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Band

Superb reference to urination on last thread.

Much like you, over the past few years, I had lost all hope mostly due to the inept Pardew and Co. management.

However, we now have a coaching team possibly the best since Keegans first stint and certainly since SBR days and I am becoming hopeful we might get on the right track at last.

I understand your reticence though.

• 5 lesh // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Reyan

I noticed that Digest was closed last night and Tfl’s been under the surgeon’s knife.

TfL – you ok?

• 6 Jib // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Reyantoon
    I have been informed this geezer

has something to do with NUFCDigest.

• 7 beermonkey // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:15 AM

lesh

tfl popped on yest afternoon and it didn’t go to well and was going back under at 4.30 yest

slank

top 6 is beyond us unless the club is allowed to invest proper sums on proper players the only way for us to get there is to do a Southampton and nurture our own talent and not sell them

• 8 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Off for sunday roast dinner…..Roast chicken

Lovely jubbly

• 9 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:18 AM

fans a round the world need to remember only austins price is in pounds the rest are euros about 20 % less it makes a differance

• 10 sportiquet5 // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Whilst the transfer window so far has been disappointing I’m not even getting nervous I work in the admin office ticket allocation department there’s been a few solid whispers in the office which seem solid enough, yet remain in the rumour stage as no evidence as of yet. Austin was rumoured to have been shown round St James park early in June , an offer placed for will Hughes which was rejected on the spot, an offer for promes of Moscow is being considered at the moment , we tried softly for gignac rejected quickly like I said we get little hard facts anymore sorry guys

• 11 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM

expat,

It worries me that while little is coming out of the club, what IS emerging is very similar in tone to what Colback is saying above.

“Look lads, perk up, we didn’t get relegated. That’s a big positive, when you think of it. New coaching team in place. Fresh start for the whole squad…..we all know we must do better next time……”

Look at Colback’s last paragraph. Him or someone like him trotted out a variation of that every week of the seven game losing run.

Two weeks ago I posted in disbelief that they were going to try to convince us that signing McClaren was a panacea to all our ills.

Hats off to “new” poster Jib.
    He is now the blog guru……

• 12 nut meg // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Still the same priorities …….2 CBs first & foremost. At least 1 CF. Then you can fill the other positions.We’ve had the same problems at the back since the year dot……fix it first then we might give ourselves a chance of making progress.Goals win games but, we would have to score at least 1 goal to get a draw as we concede goals for fun.

• 13 OneAlanShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

WIJNALDUM is ideal for us. Forget thauvin.

I would buy two of evans/vlaar/matip for centre back.

For me we must buy austin and another quality striker. I am not convinced by diego rolan.

• 14 lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

99lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:14 AM

If Winjaldu arrives and they make De Jong Captain then Krul will stay as alongside Anita and others we have a Dutch Core to keep everyone including wives and families happy. It actually a well thought out strategy. And with Newcastle to Amsterdam a short hop no problems with family and friends visits. Winjaldu is not daft- if he’s turned down the Mackems one of the reasons is that their airport is Newcastle International airport ( ha ha ) and is close to Darras Hall.

Jib@59 and Slank@62 make good points – a vocal De Jong as Captain with some Anglo-Saxon opinions expressed would be great for team spirit and crowd atmosphere ! I’ve worked with the Dutch and they are hugely friendly, outgoing, humorous and passionate – all great qualities . A favourite expression for hangers on was always in English ” effing tourists” – exactly we don’t need any time wasters just winners.

And if Diego Roland turns up is he not Cisse mark two in style and finishing in the box, allowing Cisse to take his pay day in the sun of Qatar or cold of Russia. The trend seems to be young Euro players into the Prem, prove yourselves and maybe get a Champions League side , after which move back to new Prem side or be shipped off to some obscure but wealthy club to top your pension fund. Nice.

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I think Colback is bloody awful…

• 16 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Frenchman

He’s not that good

• 17 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Ashley out, along with his half wit apologists

• 18 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Thanks for the update/informxn guys-Jib,lesh..
    I didn’t know that.

Jib- are you a health doctor?

• 19 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Back from dinner……absolutely top notch by the missus yet again.

Band

We can discuss, gesticulate or jump up and down and wave our knickers in the air on protest all we like but in the grand scheme of things, McLaren has only had 3 weeks in the job, 1 week with his coaching staff and majority of players and has still to meet some of his stars.

It is still early days and I am confident we will be fine although not signing most of the big names being banded about.

• 20 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM

OP

You have to keep making your case.
    People like Jib keep on coming, never deviate, never take their ball home.
    He is playing his cards very successfully. He has managed to make “maybe we don’t need to sign anyone,” sound like a positive message, and it is being lapped up.
    That’s because “get lost, troll,’ isn’t an argument.

• 21 DicBDownUnder // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Not sure about anyone else, but I’m pretty tired of all this now. I had so much optimism, Williamson leaving, perhaps Colo too, new cbs, Tiote off, Abeid maybe given a chance… It’s gone from a ‘squad overhaul’ to needin 5 or 6 players, then to 4 or 5…

• 22 DicBDownUnder // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:08 AM

… Players and now to 3 or 4… Total utter crap. We still need rid of those of championship quality, and I certainly don’t wana hear the loan lads of last season are ‘like new signings’….SPEND MONEY YOU FAT PR!CK. ASHLEY OUT!

• 23 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Expat

Schteeve must have banged his head if he’s seeing stars, there’s none at NUFC 😉

I’m not sure if I buy the Schteeve assessing the squad line. He was offered the job twice, he must have watched a cpl games during the run from Xmas even if it was out of boredom.
    He couldve easily watched every match we played last year, in the last 3 weeks. He’d learn more watching last seasons games than watching them in training for 2 months IMO

Personally I think we’re stuck with the likes of colo Saylor etc and he’s been told to make do, a cpl of signings but not the overhaul the squad needs, especially at CB.

A striker a midfielder and a cpl potential players is all we’ll see.

Ashley out!

• 24 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:12 AM

BandB

Who’s jib?

• 25 Jib // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM

BandB

Do you remember where you picked up your vast footballing knowledge ?

Heady days they were,the sky gathered again.
    And the sun grew round that very day.
    So it must have been after the birth of the simple light , in the first, spinning place.

Oh how we laughed

• 26 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:17 AM

OP

He’s the bloke who’s winning the argument.

• 27 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Let me hop De Jong aint like Emre. Kept us on out toes until he left without doing much. Kept us anticipating if this if not.

• 28 martoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Sportiquet5 – can you give us an inside view on the ST sales. Are they as low as some rumours I.e down about 30%?

• 29 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:24 AM

expatmag

SBR had Carver in his coaching team

• 30 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Bandb

I’d think the clubs actions stop any need to argue about it’s intentions, unless you like grasping at straws. Jib?

I suppose there’s people out there that think we haven’t sold anybody because the club doesn’t want to sell. Nothing to do with the fact the players have been so bad no one wants them.

As I said yesterday Ashley’s preferred fan base is begging for 8 more years of the same.

Ashley out.

• 31 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Little to disagree with

• 32 nut meg // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Lequipe are saying that Sissoko is being linked with Liverpool, Arsenal & Man.U. also interested.

• 33 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM

BandB

Surely there is no argument. The squad needs players . It has done for several seasons now. Anyone left who can’t see that is a lost cause. I say let them believe they are winning an argument that, in reality, does not exist. As long as the majority of fans are still crying out for improvment, then the club will still have a clear message of what the supporters, fans and followers want.

• 34 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM

OP

Bear with me on this one.

I am a fully qualified coach having taken all my coaching courses many years ago.

I was approached to coach a club that had been relegated 2 years in a row. Most of their better players left. The support dwindled to just a few hundred and the board were disjointed and disillusioned.

The standard of football coached into the players was long ball and totally uninventive. The very basics had been ignored and the youth teams were not interested in promoting their better youngsters to the senior squad.

I commenced pre season early, sacking the previous coaching back room staff and brought in a team I knew and trusted.

Over a period of 4 weeks, we assessed the current players, releasing those not up to it and recruiting new players to boost the squad. I paid out very little money and adapted my training plans initially to fitness and ballwork, snd then adopting a plan a, b and c for the squad to work to.

My youth team players trained twice a week with my senior team and given plenty if opportunities in practise matches.

After the first 5 games, we were midtable, having won 2 lost 3. It was at this time that 2 players I needed became available and having signed them, we went on an unbeaten run of 13 games taking us to the top of the table where we remained till the end of the season..

How did we do it?

Pure psychology and teamwork built around confidence, self belief and the willingness to go that extra yard for each other.

My players, pound for pound as individuals, were nowhere near as skillful as some players they played against in that league but they had heart, commitment and new how to play to our game plans and change when instructed.

By the end of the season, the board were encouraged to work harder. I was turning interested quality players away that I would have signed 8 months earlier and the supporters returned in their droves and the money came rolling back in again.

The moral of this story is that under a quality sensible and experienced approach by coaching staff, anything can really be achieved and I am a lot more confident of progression on the field in a style we will enjoy under Mclaren and co. than I would have been under Pardew and Co.

• 35 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Have we really dimished our beliefs in what is a quality footballer or who could REALLY become a quality footballer.
    I speak of Obertron.
    I did a lengthy profile of him, on here, a couple of years ago, where I produced his entire career stats from Bordeaux onwards.
    He showed some promise as a youth and attended Clairefontaine. Apart from the early suggested “promise” he has subsequently flopped – even taking into consideration lengthy injury absences here and at Man U. He tries hard and has a superb physique – but he will never ever be a top flight player.
    From his early days at Bordeaux in 2006 to the present day he has scored about 6 league goals. Repeat 6 goals in about nine years.
    I shake my head in disbelief that some now suggest he could be our saviour or be an integral part of a new team/future at SJP.
    Some say he’s a confidence player -I am now forced to use those strong words -utter bollocks.
    Obertron is on record as saying he should be playing for France, he is also on record as saying in a one to one situation he would trust in his ability every time.
    Six goals in 9 years.
    I despair!

• 36 musomag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Anyone heard about Van Ginkel wanting a loan move here?

• 37 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM

OP@31 – I agree, some good points made. This squad does look like a “jumble sale” rather than a playing group carefully and intelligently put together. I’ve described them before as a rag-tag bunch of misfits, second-raters, and other assorted flotsam and jetsam. Funny isn’t it, how that happens when an owner who knows nothing about football delegates responsibility to others who are equally clueless, and then doesn’t give them the resources to even possibly make a fist of it. I guess that’s basically what Keegan said.

• 38 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM

TUFF

Since leaving Bordeaux, he has been largely ignored initially by Fergie who must have seen something in him to sign him in the first place and the inept one.

For a.period last season until his injury against Liverpool, he was excellent and we really missed his pace and ability to beat a man (when his confidence is up). I wasnt the only one on here who mentioned this.

If McLaren can get his confidence up again, I see no reason why he cant be considered valuable to the squad.

• 39 martoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM

The overrated Frenchman @15 – Sorry but you are talking through your backside. I don’t know if you go to matches but at the game you can see that Colback puts in a shift and never stops tackling and trying to win the ball – he also chips in with goals. Yes he is not gifted with silky skills but he is the type of hard working midfield player that every team needs!

• 40 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM

I have some confidence that SM will improve some of the younger lads, and get the best out of the rest…however, the ‘best’ of some of those players is probably not going to be good enough. SM can’t polish turds after all. Squidward, Willo, Riviere et.c should still be packed off and replaced.

• 41 nut meg // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Expat
    Interesting read & I too have a lot more confidence in SM than the Pardew/ Carver / Stone / dinosaurs.My biggest concerns haven’t changed for the past 2/3/ seasons & they are the CBs. Do you think there is any chance that SM can get Willo, Collo or Taylor to perform to an acceptable level ?

• 42 musomag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Obertan was hitting great form before the injury and was definitely missed, looked a lot more useful than Cabella

• 43 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Expat

I get all your points and agree that McLaren should get more out of the squad than Pardew playing a different style. Yet there’s quite a few in the squad a miracle would fail to improve.

IMO Colo and a cpl others are like a cancer on the team and need removing. There’s players that time and time again have proved they are not to be counted on.

There’s a few that deserve a chance to prove they can make it but there’s others who’ve had more than enough chances.

Imo if we go into next season with Colo Willo and Saylor with Lascalles as back up it’s a disgrace.

• 44 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Expat – Can you suggest a reason therefore as to why Fergie ignored him.
    I would suggest it was because they realised they had bought a dud.
    Come on man -6 goals in 9 years and he’s now 26 years old.
    He’s undoutedly fast – but it’s usually without the ball.

• 45 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Will Die

Yes. I know but you cannot seriously compare the great man to that self esteemed idiot Pardew.

• 46 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM

TUFF

How many games has he played and I dont mean the odd 10 mins as a sub.

How many assists?

The last I looked, he wasnt actually renowned as a goalscorer especially in a defensive minded team.

• 47 musomag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM

OP

I agree 100% about Colo, he should’ve been moved on during his scandal while we had the chance, terrible choice of captain

• 48 JDdubai // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Really wish we would get rid of Sissoko – it is clear to all that he doesnt want to be here and his desperation to get a move is as embarrassing as JCs desperation to do and say anything to get the manager’s job.

The other players will know this, needs to go.

Colo the same, never a captain.

• 49 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM

expat – if you suggest he need his confidence building up -how can you “square” that with Obertrons own words :-
    ” If I’m one-on-one with a defender I trust in my ability every time”.

(Doesn’t seem he lacks confidence to me judging by those comments).

• 50 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM

I think most people have more confidence in McClaren than they did in Pardew, Carver or Stone, but is that all it has come down to on here?

…we could be making a like wise analogy on here before the season is over just with a different name!

We are not setting the bar high are we 😉

• 51 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Frenchman

There’s to many “Jack of all trades master of none” in the squad. Therefore no real pressure on any first team player to perform.

On Obertan was his swansong last year not more to do with how poor the rest of the team played?
    He reminds me of Dyer extremely fast legs, with a extremely slower brain.
    Imagine if Beardsley had pace like those two, he’d have been unplayable.

• 52 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM

martoon@39. My problem with Colback is that he is a “nothing” player: a sideways passer who can’t run with the ball and doesn’t make the telling tackles. With his skill-set, all he could successfully be is a DM, but I don’t think he has the physical toughness for that role. I’m comfortable with my rating of “bloody awful”….

• 53 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Op

The centre of the defence has been an issue for years. You just have to look at the goals against column.

Colo and Williamson should go and a large proportion of our budget should be afforded to persuading Abdennour to cone whilst progressing Lascelles into the starting line up.

Taylor could be kept purely as back up and a youngster like Dunk signed also as back up.

• 54 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM

nut meg

Sissoko is staying at NUFC for the Euros selfish as u know

• 55 musomag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Obviously we have to be optimistic and give McClaren his chance because we’ve got no choice but I do feel confident he will get a lot more out of players who didn’t reach their potential

• 56 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:15 AM

jesper,

It is the way of the blog that those who spend their summers crowing from the hen-house spend their seasons hiding in the dog-house.
    That’s because you can call a pig a racehorse, but you can’t make it run.

• 57 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Tuff

I will take your word for it. I gave never read them. However, His form for a time last year surprised me and many others and was a major reason why we won those games early on.

He proved he had ability and there was no denying that. Then he got injured. I was watching that game and up until the injury, he was tearing Liverpool a new one.

• 58 DicBDownUnder // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM

The centre of our defense has been an issue since the days of Dabizas, Boumsong, Cacapa, Bramble… the list goes on…

@52 – how can you honestly say Colback is a ‘nothing’ player. He does a lot more than what you have suggested… How many goals has Tiote scored for us?…. How many has Colback scored for us?
    I know it’s a matter of opinion, but in my opinion, your opinion is just so wrong..

• 59 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Tuff,

Is Obertan the best possible example? He does have has stout defenders.
    Folks are also treating Ferguson, Streete and Good as being just like new signings.
    Trickier case to be made for them, I’d have thought.

• 60 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Band

Another lovely adage.

• 61 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Does anyone know what’s up with Tiote now ?Is he fit,is he off?

• 62 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Band

Well maybe not Streete as he has been released and signed for Port Vale

• 63 Average_Contents // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Alien heed a footballer? Best laugh I’ve had for ages that. Fergie ignored him because he’s shite and realised he’d been sold a dud.

He runs and is fast but it’s usually without the ball because he either forgets it or it bounces of his foot/legs/chest/alien heed.

He’s shite.

• 64 martoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM

The overrated Frenchman @52 – We’ll agree to differ on Colback however some people must agree with me because he was third in last season’s player of the season poll 🙂

• 65 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Expat

I’d like to see all 3 leave, if I had to keep one it would be Willo.

Colo is neither use nor ornament, along with his holidays and back problems (lol) he should be given a free. It turns my stomach he’s the captain of NUFC, he’s as commited as a prostitute.

Saylor to my knowledge has only completed over 50% of EPL games twice in 10years. Along with that and his oscar winning performances he needs to go ASAP.

Out of the three I’d keep Willo, although not the most talented of the trio, definatley the most professional player who just gets on with it. IMO this lad gets more stick than he deserves and is often a scape goat for others shocking play.

I WANT 2 decent cb’s ASAP

I also want my head tested if I think we’ll get 2 CB in one window with 4 on the books already.

• 66 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I like that analogy BandB! It’s very fitting 🙂

• 67 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM

expat – I see the possibility that fans would like Obertan to do better -I think everybody would. However, the early games last season, there were a couple of moments or I would prefer the word “glimpses” of good play, harrying/chasing back and a few totally unexpected tackles but never putting his head in a 50/50.
    As for all this “assists” stuff – really I’m not into that – think it is an unreliable (and daft) way to evaluate players.

I will however, bow to your superior judgement when the vertically challenged man in Paris calls Obertron up for the National squad/team.

• 68 Offkey // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM

3 new players! try doubling that figure Ed and throw in a couple more. Then they should look to rid us of the dead wood……simple plan

• 69 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM

expat….

I did say it was an argument being made by others……..

expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Band

We have only had a thin squad because we have sold two players (Santon Mbiwa), released 4 players (Jonas Taylor Campbell Streete), had 8 players out on loan who gave since returned (Darlow Lascelles Marveaux Vukic Ferguson Streete Mbau Bigi) and have now seen the return of 5 players who had long term season ending injuries (Taylor Good Dejong Haidara and Tiote).

• 70 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Tuff

Like I said before, everyone has their own opinion and as we have a better coaching team in place and how it is unlikely Ashley will fork out for another winger, we might as well try to get him to perform more consistently considering we are paying him a weekly wage.

• 71 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM

BandB – mystifies me that Obertron has his backers.
    Your other comments -I really don’t know enough about Streete and Good to make any real personal assessment.
    Ferguson is another matter. Loads on here have reported his quality in the other teams at SJP.
    He no doubt can play football, looks to have a decent attitude but those games when Percy introduced him he was busy but really didn’t catch the eye. Granted you cannot see the best of a young player being introduced into a losing poor quality team.
    I think some of the Irish lads on here rate him highly.
    For me the jury is out – I’m making a preliminary guess that he will not rise to dizzy heights. However, Wally, might influence his play. So I think we’ll probably haver to wait and see on young Fergy.

• 72 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Offkey

With our board, it will be the other way around. Get rid first then be lucky to replace. McLaren has his work cut out.

• 73 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM

DicB, I just don’t think there is a place for players like Colback in the PL these days. He really can’t hurt the opposition in any way. Yeah, ok he got a couple of goals, but his mistakes cost us too. You can run around all day racking up touches, but if you can’t actually impact a game (in the PL) in any way – and I don’t think he does – I don’t see that you are worth a place. OK, he wasn’t our worst player, but we were so desperately bad that means nothing. He’s Championship stuff.

• 74 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Band

Very well

• 75 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM

If we dont make signings I will ask myself why we have money at e bank for.

I really want Aymen A but guy is way above our league.

• 76 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Frenchman

So bad he was selected in an England squad last season?

• 77 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM

expat @70 – do not disagree with those comments -only that I see no hidden abilities in Obertron that might suddenly surface even after input by Wally.
    Equally I see no former outstanding play that he can suddenly find again.
    In reality (someone else on here previously suggested) he should have been into athletics as a sprinter and not a footballer.

• 78 colwell // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Buying Wijnaldum would be brilliant but to then sell Sissoko is mad, build a squad ffs. When we have such a small poor squad one for one is stupid. a midfield with Sissoko and Wijnaldum would be awesome.

• 79 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:47 AM

expat…Hope all’s well. Can’t stick around for long this morning (but may well be back later – you lucky so and so’s) due to work.

Lately something has been bugging me a bit and I hope you don’t take offense to me directing this towards you, it’s just I’ve seen another example of it and would hope that you would understand where it is I’m coming from.

It’s comments like this one:

“It is all about opinions and everyone has one and in the majority if cases, should be respected.”

Perfectly reaosonable statement. However, it does come across as being an attempted debate ender. The inference being that by debating with an opposing view, one is not respecting the others view.

I’m sure that’s not the intention, but can you see how the blog seems to be slipping that way recently?

I think everyone gets that there is an element of the unknown at present. However, reasonable comments are being put forward, imo, for the let’s not get carried awaydebate, whereas, with all due respect, the argument for better times are on their way appears to be based mainly on the coach being better than what we’ve just had (which was shockingly bad), although it isn’t who the majority wanted just a few months ago.

It all does strike me as a little bit of “Well, I think this is as good as it’s going to get lads and lasses, we best make the best of it”

• 80 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM

TUFF

Like I said before, the blog is all about differing opinions and should be respected whether agreed or not.

• 81 clinath@ed // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Expat, I agree 100% that attitude and team spirit is better, long term, than 11 very talented individuals.
    However, Oberton will never make a footballer. The lads body language is all wrong on a pitch, he does not want the ball, for whatever reason, when we don’t have possession he’s guilty of ball watching.
    As for not getting much game time, I think he’s simply been found out.

• 82 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Colwell

If wijnaldum was signed and we were to offload a player in MF to accomodate, i would probably suggest Tiote. I know on his day he can be a beast, but those days seem far away now. Sissoko is a different type of MF so I agree we should keep gim

• 83 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Plenty of awful players selected in England squads over the years Expat!

• 84 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Him*

• 85 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Tuff,

I have met Obertan.
    He has a high opinion of himself.
    Even after his worst games, he gives the bench that “are you guys for REAL?” expression when he’s subbed.

expat

Nothing to fear from honest opinions strongly-held, and debating them is what the blog is for.
    So I am with you.
    Neither I hold with the idea that topics I don’t like should be ruled out of bounds.

• 86 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Ibiza

No problem mate. I suppose I mentioned that as I didnt think there was much more that I could add to the subject being discussed.

• 87 MassiveG // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Um Optimistic Dyer was one of our most devastating players. Maybe didn’t grab enough goals himself but in terms of breaking from midfield couldn’t be beaten. We were dominating Sporting Lisbon until he went off injured, and if he’d made the 2002 World Cup imo we woulda got past Brazil

• 88 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM

If SM can make vast improvements to the lads we already have with a couple of additions to the squad ,it’ll be easier for him to assess the abilities of various players ,and hopefully get rid
    Last season they were so bad to watch you could make an argument for getting rid of nearly all of them
    I can’t see how anyone wants to perservere with Obertan ,Goofy ,Willo,Collo,Riviere
    We need a creative midfielder urgently imo

• 89 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Ibiza

I think there’s an implied or unspoken final sentence there.

“Well, I think this is as good as it’s going to get lads and lasses, we best make the best of it.
    “Or shut up!”

• 90 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I’d let Colback and Sissoko leave in a heart beat. Both create more problems than benifit for the team.

Both have the same problem, they aren’t a master at any position. Workrate doesn’t make you a good player, that’s really the minimum you should expect from any pro player, it isn’t a quality.

Massively over rated.

• 91 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM

expatmag @ 34

Given your experiences at coaching what is your opinion on when can we expect to see a discernible change on the pitch in playing style ?

• 92 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM

ibiza – there is definitely a sniff of supporters having a resignation to mediocrity. They’ve been “Ashleyed”.
    Are we subconsciously accepting that an OK or quality standard as SJP is not based on the qualities they (new coaching team) possess but that we are making assessments because those who went before were of poor quality/ability.
    I suppose we’ll have to wait and see -once the season (proper) starts.

• 93 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Band

No problem on my side either.

On the Obertan situation, if we cannot get rid, then we might as well try to use him, if he can be motivated to perform despite some who have reservations about him. Maybe he can prove people wrong.

• 94 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM

At that I’m off to find the paint and paint brushed otherwise no Sunday dinner.

• 95 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM

brushed = brushes

• 96 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM

man u must have clapped there hands when pardue paid money for oberton …….to be fair they were conned into buying him first

• 97 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Massive

His assists weren’t great either, a attacking midfielder who doesn’t score and can’t create. Devastating?

Scholes scored more goals against NUFC than dyer scored for NUFC in a fraction of the games.

• 98 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM

OP and I are on the same page with Colback, however….I’d like to see Sissoko under a better coach. His weaknesses are obvious, but he does have the qualities of a potential matchwinner if they can be moulded and used in the right way.

• 99 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM

expatmag
    Obertan proved us wrong when he generally played to PL standard in the first half of last season. Sadly, in his most recent matches he has disappointed again.
    Reminds me of that Vince Gill song: “Give me one more last chance”.

• 100 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Slank

I watched Derby quite a lot on TV last season as well as the play off final the season before against QPR.

The standard of football was exquisite at times from a team of younger players and plenty of pace and width.

In my opinion, it was a total injustice how they lost that play off final as QPR were totally outplayed but boy, did they score all the luck on the day.

Why they failed in the second half of the season seems to be down to having a small squad, losing key players like Martin and the superb efforts of the likes of Watford Bournemouth and Norwich to bypass them.

If McLaren can get the NUFC squad to play in a similar dtyke

• 101 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM

It says a lot for me that a fair few of our squad are worth less than fcuking Pardew ffs
    That’s how good they really are !!

• 102 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Style to Derby, we will be watching a far better standard of football next season.

• 103 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Expat

Will it take a few games or a few weeks before we notice a marked change in style ?

Will there be any hints of a change in pre-season ?

• 104 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Ron

You can name on one hand with gingers to spare, the number of players who performed during the second half of the season for Carver.

• 105 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Correction…….fingers

• 106 cestriasteve // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM

OP,

On Steven Taylor, I saw him the day before his holidays shopping for holiday shorts, he couldn’t get in any of our shorts!!!

If that guy has let himself go to that extent he should be seriously reprimanded by the club, dreadful!!

• 107 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM

ron oberton is just not good enough a couple of flash in the pan games and that’s it no were near a prem player….. the problem we have is we have a few like that

• 108 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Slank

Most definitely.

More movement off the ball and quicker one touch passing interchanges when in possession and applied instant pressure in numbers (hunting in packs) when not in possession.

I would also expect to see a better level of fitness early on than we have seen in the past.

• 109 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:16 PM

So,wijnaldum is going to be sissoko’s replacement? ffs,I’ll be disappointed if sissoko leaves.He’s the one i expect to burst and going to be the leader,on the attacking front for us.
    on colback
    How come some say he is shit?He’s the only player that made some successful tackles and physical battle for us last season.That also gave his 100% for the team,true loyal & battler.
    You should rewind back and re-watch our games under him!!

• 110 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:17 PM

cestriasteve

You’d think with his injury record and his oscar winning red cards that his availability for matches would be enough to decide he’s not worthy of a squad place.

When you say he’s on holidays it kind of knarks me, SDJ and Aaron’s stayed to get fit and ready for the season ahead.

Yet fist pumper heads off to Benidorm, get rid ASAP.

• 111 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM

expatmag
    ‘Gingers’ – You had me worried for a minute there!

hibbit
    You’re right. How many of them are salvageable?

• 112 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM

We want wijnaldum to come in to the squad to strengthen, not to REPLACE. I.e Sissoko.

• 113 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM

reyantoon….were does it say that we don’t buy replacements that’s not how its done at nufc

• 114 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Expatmag

Many thanks for that and if we can get some decent recruits through the door it will give me great heart for this coming season. Can’t see there being any spare season tickets available once everything kicks off.

It will be interesting to see the predictions for the season from the ‘professional pundits’.

• 115 Average_Contents // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Expat

“Why they failed in the second half of the season seems to be down to having a small squad, losing key players like Martin and the superb efforts of the likes of Watford Bournemouth and Norwich to bypass them”

A small squad, losing key players and replace those Watfords, Bournemouths and Norwich’s with Swansea, Stoke and palace and it seems eerily similar to our situation second half of the season. If not eerily then at least very similar.

• 116 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Reyantoon

I dont see why Liverpool need him especially as we are asking 25 million pounds for him.

They have a plethora of attacking players and some they must need to get rid of first.

This week, they are on the verge of signing Sissoko. Last week, it was Benteke. All speculation in my opinion.

• 117 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Sissoko shouldn’t be sold this season,he will be all out to get in the french team
    Winaljdum should be bought to play alongside him
    Obertan could be used as a ball boy with his pace ,keeping the pressure on the opposition !!

• 118 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM

AC

Yes. You could say that. However, apart from a couple of decent runs and the rub of the green in some games, we were in freefall from the start last year.

• 119 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM

ron not sure but by the end of next week Mc’s coaches will know who’s up to the job and who’s not

• 120 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Why do we have to sell Sissoko?

Keep both of them and we be a force to recon with.

• 121 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Reyna

Along with 14 yellow cards, how many bans did Colbacks tackling get?

How many free kicks did he give away in stupid areas resulting in the opo scoring?

Take your local boy glasses off and re watch the games yourself.

He’s that good the only teams in for him was us and a West Ham.

England are shite so that’s hardly a endorsement.
    It’s the equivalent of saying he’s a international, but plays for Luxembourg.

• 122 expatmag // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Slank

Time will tell mate.

• 123 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Slank

At the minute were 5th favourite for the drop with a few pundits on sky

• 124 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM

On Colback ,if there was a fee involved would we have bought him?

• 125 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Is it NUFC policy not to stand in the way of a player who wants to go ? or we force them out.

• 126 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM

a lot on here forget the prem is a squad game and player like colback have a place

• 127 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM

expatmag @ 122

‘..Time will tell mate..’

So long as its not the last game of the season, again !.

• 128 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM

die for…it depends who it is

• 129 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM

op@123
    Is that taken from an article? Have you got a link?

• 130 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM

If we bought Windi and kept Sissoko in the same team it would be a disaster.

Sissoko doesn’t have a clue and 99% of his runs involve him getting in the way of other people’s runs. He’s clueless when it comes to positioning and is a hindrance to his team mates on the pitch.

He has no idea how to make space or how to find it.

I’m chuffed pool are in for him, they’re the only side stupid enough to pay money for him.

• 131 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:34 PM

optimistic prime @ 123

‘.. 5th favourite for the drop with a few pundits on sky..’

I have feeling in my bones (don’t laugh) that we may be the season’s surprise package and rub these ‘professional pundits’ noses in the clarts.

• 132 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Ron

No, I was watching sky and they were giving predictions.

It’s the easy answer for them ATM, the 3 promoted will go down and poss safc or NUFC.

They’re scared to commit with any sensible reasoning.

• 133 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Sell sissoko, he’s not bothered about us or the club begging for a move since he joined and has too few good games to warrant how he sees himself

Get 15-20 mill for him if we can

• 134 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised or bothered if Sissoko was sold.

When he came I thought he would be a Viera type player both in style and leadership but alas he wasn’t.

• 135 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Slank

IMO the squad we have there’s a few who could turn out to be a lot better than we’ve seen. At the same time there’s a couple who must be replaced ASAP.

IF addressed properley I agree, we could surprise a few. It’s all Ifs and buts though.

We can’t start another year with certain players first choice or we’re asking for trouble, again.

• 136 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:42 PM

OP @ 132

The problem with the ‘professional pundits’ is that they have their favourite teams, often being former players of those teams, and as such are blinded by their loyalty to those teams and pay scant regard to other teams.

• 137 hibbit // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM

have i got that right pool have offered 25m for sissoko not even they are that daft most overrated player on here

• 138 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:46 PM

op
    Thanks. The usual suspects, in other words!

• 139 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Colback is on my list of players who i would be interested to see play under the new staff. These are players who I would like to see more from, but have not given up on them yet.

Sissoko
    Cabella
    Colback
    Anita

If SM can get these players firing to a good standard, it would prove that the previous disasterous set up has at least been partially corrected, and that said disasterous set up was responsible for the above players’ poor showings.

If they dont play better, i will concede it is the players themselves to blame.

• 140 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:49 PM

OP- I remember arguing with you months ago on
    colback and sissoko and don’t think we’ll agree again today.You and i have different view on players.So it’s best to leave it as it is and not engage again!!

• 141 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Sissoko will never be a leader he’s a pansy and his captains performance in the derby was embarrassing. I would have no complaints if he was sold.

He won’t be going anywhere though because nobody better than us wants him.

So it will be another season of desperately whoring himself around in the French press once a fortnight.

• 142 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:51 PM

OP @ 135

Totally agree.

We haven’t seen the best of De Jong, Aarons and Riviere who I still think will come good. Others like Cabella and Anita (if his last game is an indication) have tremendous potential given the right coaching. Even Marveaux could surprise us as he has the skills.

• 143 JDdubai // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Sell sissoko and anyone else who wants out, especially colo.

Its embarrassing how much Sissoko has name-dropped so many clubs this summer trying to advertise how much he wants out.

I realise it isnt completely fair to blame him as im sure this is how it was sold to him when he joined, play 1-2 seasons and get a move to a CL team, but some things you dont make public.

Come on Charnley, full faith in your ability to get these deals done!!!!!

• 144 kilcline // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM

———————-krul

Janmaat—-Lascelles—matip—–Hairdara

WIJNALDUM—Tiote

———————-SDJ

Sissoko ——————————–Arrons

———————–Cisse

• 145 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM

hibbit
    Re Sissoko:

• 146 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM

There’s definatley players who’ll benifit from the change of our style of play, yet equally players who won’t fit or who are unable to play in that style.

IMO most of those players who’ll fit should be easy to spot, a few will take a little more time.

• 147 alanrichie // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Tottenham and Newcastle target Aleksandar Mitrovic has revealed he is considering an offer from Serie A side Roma.

The 20-year-old Anderlecht striker, who plays his international football for Serbia, told Gazzetta dello Sport: “I received an offer from Roma. I’ve also been shown strong interest by Benfica.

“Soon I’ll let my decision be known. Roma are a strong, excellent team. I know Rudi Garcia and he’s a great coach.”

• 148 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Personally cant see Riviere ever doing anything. He just hasn’t shown one ounce of ability imo. That air shot to miss the total sitter against west ham summed him up altogether. I actually laughed hysterically at that for fully 2 mins. Ffs even Shola would have butried that.

• 149 clinath@ed // Jul 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM

The lack of knowledge the ‘professional’ pundits have of the individual teams in the EPL is embarrassing. Oh sure they know the BIG teams (match of the day helps there) but the other 15 or so…..
    Just look how long it it took them to realize how bad Pardew was doing during 2014, and that it wasn’t just us fans whinging again..

• 150 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Ron

Def the usual suspects

Slank

Ahh, those balanced pundits 😉

I like Anita, I think he’s a great little player that gets stick for nothing other than his size. He retains the ball, keeps the ball moving, always shows for the ball and is neat and tidy. I’d have played him a lot more than we have and I have a feeling he’ll play more under Schteeeve.

Reyna

You may calm it arguing, the rest of the blog are calling it debating. Saying you gave up so easy I’ll take it I won 😉

• 151 BandB // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Can someone tell me what Sissoko is?

In terms of his best position and role.

• 152 nearly // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:04 PM

anita will be like a new signing next season under sm , he will shock a few people how good he really is

• 153 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Palace in talks with Cabaye, van gaal also intrested.

Reports in Italy Roma have lost out on Windi to nufc

• 154 MassiveG // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Agreed about assists, but there are less tangible effects he had, turning defence into attack, driving runs to force us forward and take pressure off our defence

• 155 OneAlanShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Diego rolan is no cisse at all. Cisse did brilliantly in a better league before joining us. Letting him go without two more REAL quality strikers is a massive mistake…id still keep him then. Let riviere go he is no striker…attitude was right but he is not an instinctive striker. What ashley has not understood is that you buy cheap but they have to be quality in the first place improve which is ALWAYS a gamble. We have some good players but some dross as well making up the 25 man squad. Here is my analysis of the first xi:

Gk: Krul/first choice keeper to challenge him required.
    LB: Janmaat*/backup required
    x 2 CB:New solid leader required plus another to play alongside him/everyone of our centre backs is not good enough now. Colo, saylor and the new lad should be back up and willo should be sold or fired from a cannon.
    RB: NEW player required with dummett and haidara backup or in haidara’s case let go.
    DM: New player required with colback as cover and tiote sold.
    Playmaker: We simply dont have one…buy wijnaldum and a young backup.
    x 2 AM: sissoko/aarons to take up one spot, buy another one.
    x 2 strikers : austin and another quality striker with height not necessarily a bean pole though. Sell riviere. Perez to swap between AM and striker depending on if 4231 or 433. Keep cisse.
    Sell obertan, willo, cabella, tiote, riviere, gouffran,elliot and anita.

• 156 OneAlanShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Sorry I got my left and rights mixed up there and sdj would also stay as a attacking mid.

• 157 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Nope…i didn’t consider it as you “won”.But since don’t think u r one of those who “go at” people to wind up,i’ll take your word for it..

• 158 colwell // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Our squad is poor and small so why are people fine with selling one of our best players in Sissoko???? Regardless if he only plays brilliantly in 10 games a season thats 10 more than most in the team. Under Mclaren he could well be a different beast all together ffs he had Pards and Carver coaching him.

If we continue to sell our better players we will never improve. We have sooooo much deadwood that needs shifting we are not going to sign 10 players, keep all our better players and start fcuking the shite ones off and replace with better.

• 159 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM

OneAlanShearer

Those are so many changes. You saw wat happened to;
    1. QPR- Got relegated
    2. Man City – First finished 6th
    3. Chealsea – Finished 2nd.

To many changes dont guarantee Success, we have to take it slow and build all we have to is gain momentum and not lose it.

• 160 nightfa11 // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Id let sissoko go, if we sign both winaljdum and cabaye..

As for striker..I have a feeling we’ll sign carroll..and I think.that would be a great move (if he can keep his injury behind him, hes unplayable – 3 Times the player austin will ever be)..and if we could also get berahino..

Attack of perez – carroll – berahino
    Midfield of winaljdum – cabaye – colback
    Defence of dummet – aymen – colo – Janmaat
    Gk: krul

Subs: notthingam guys, Anita, cabella, haidara, goufrann (But played as a striker this time – he did good as a striker, was liability only when pardew played him as a wing back), vuckic, arrons.

If we could pull this off..pff.. 🙂

• 161 Partizan // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Colwell…Our squad has 31 players and Sevilla’s team for example has 23 players all top players with almost no injury record who can get into the first team with ease ,,so our team its not small at all,but the problem of our team is that one third is quality,one third is below Championship standard,and one third is made od glass.

• 162 Partizan // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Nightfall…No De Jong?

• 163 colwell // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Partizan

In number yes we do have a big squad but like you said most aren’t anywhere near Prem standard. So when a player does get injured we have a poor replacement thats what I meant by a small squad.

Sissoko is one of our best players we all know how us selling a player works we replace one for one or not at all so why do people not care if he goes?

• 164 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I dont think we will get Mitrovic. He doesnt wanna come.

• 165 OneAlanShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Response to Will die – I also saw what arsenal under wenger and liverpool under houllier I think did and bought virtually entire first teams. We need quality in numbers but if we have to do it at a lower rate 6 first team quality players are needed.

• 166 nightfa11 // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Partizan

Damn..forgot about him:-) well..Considering his and carrolls injury records,they could swap places.. Carroll as no9 and when dejong is in action he can play as no10..right behind strikers 🙂

• 167 Partizan // Jul 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM

I know Colwell,but in that case Colback,De Jong have to be benched…dont you think they’ll become unsettled just in case Sisoko and Wijnaldum dont get injured at all.

previous post: Newcastle Close In On Wijnaldum After He Turns Down Sunderland