Newcastle In Talks To Sign Wijnaldum – A Deal Is Close

The Mirror are reporting tonight that Georginio Wijnaldum is in talks with Newcastle United over a £15M transfer, and this is consistent with their Sunday People report today that Newcastle are closing in on the transfer of the 24 year-old Dutch International,  who returns to training for PSV on Monday.

Georginio Wijnaldum -529052

Georginio Wijnaldum – close to a deal

Sunderland are again confirmed to have dropped out of the bidding last week – for whatever reason, but Newcastle still face competition from other clubs, but at least it seems we are starting negotiations.

Wijnaldum was left out of the PSV team for their pre-season friendly against SV DOSKO which they won 6-0 – and some said that was because of the pending move, but that was a red herring.

It would be very strange if he did play, since he returns to training tomorrow, having played for the Holland side this summer in the Euro 2016 qualifier.

Tim Krul and Daryl Janmaat also return to Newcastle training tomorrow.

Sources in Holland are telling the Mirror that Georginio is close to signing for a “prestigious Premier League club”

That has to be Newcastle United – obviously.

🙂

It is thought Newcastle are leading the chase for the 19 times capped Dutch International and are negotiating with PSV on a fee – which is still quoted to be a rather high £15M.

But maybe that’s €15M which is around £10.6M using today’s exchange rate of 0.71 pounds/euro.

But that exchange rate will be less when the markets open tomorrow, with Greece having voted no on their referendum today, and the markets are excepted to fall, maybe precipitously.

Players in Europe priced in euros will then become cheaper for English clubs.

The Mirror is reporting the talks with PSV are at an early stage – but that doesn’t seem to match what their sources in Holland are telling them – with a move being close.

But it does look like Newcastle are going all out to sign Georginio – so we hope we can pull this one off in the coming week.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM

@Jesper

No the winger who plays for Man Utd looks very decent would be an upgrade on Obertan and Gouffran !!

The young lad we are wanting to sign has promise looks really good in the air

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Cose to a deal?

No wonder we can’t get them over the line

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:16 PM

On the centre back issue I think we will only get one centre back as it stands with Williamson or Taylor to get shifted out

So say its Matip we would then have Colo , Taylor/Williamson , Lascelles and Dummett to play centre back

Unless we could get rid of 2 of them and replace with Matip and that Dunk from Brighton

Cant see Colo being allowed to sit on the bench earning 70k a week can you ??

• Belfast

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Cmon Ed he was left out because he’s still on his holidays

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM

If we are getting one CB in, I vote Colo leaves

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Yo…please don’t take that away from me 🙂

• Jib

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Just seen Wijnaldum on Dutch tv

He thought Sunderland were in the Championship
    Ha ha ha
    When they asked if he wanted to work with Advocaat
    he called him an “oude scheet”
    Ha ha ha

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Lee…Jesse Lingard?

• WWSBRD

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:18 PM

jesper
    Haha sorry mate Id love 2 new CBs too but if that were to happen I think we should have them both in before our first match and play them none stop

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:20 PM

My hope for this season is we will move on the deadwood and those who cannot give us at least 30 games a season. Maybe even more!

…I know it’s asking alot, but I think as a squad this is our Achilles heel!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Yo…I’ll take those two Lee just called 🙂

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:22 PM

@Jesper

Yeah thats the boy ! Not as a first choice but to provide some squad depth

For me centre back and out wide are the 2 main areas where we are really short on quality we always concede cheap goals and our moves break down through poor crosses from the wide areas only really Janmaat has provided crosses

Sissoko has always played his best football for us on the wing but thinks hes a play maker

A proper left winger and a right winger who could both trouble teams would start to free up space in the middle for the likes of Perez , De Jong and Cisse to exploit

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Lee…I would have no problem with that! Alot of deadwood I want to move on anyway 🙂

• JAMSHA(ASHELY SLAYER)

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM

LOL M.A LIKES THESE CHEAP STUNTS, HIS SIGNG TOMORO, NEXT WEEK, NEXT MONTH BLA BLA

• lesh

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Lcbp

Surely it’d make sense to move Saylor out rather than Willo.

Of the two, Saylor’s injury record’s terrible!

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Jesper

Someone put saylors games played per season the other week and it was shocking, you’d be lucky if he’s played 50% of games in ten years.

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I wonder what price you’d get for NUFC not selling in this window.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:30 PM

OP…no point keeping a player like that and both Colo and Willo are starting to show the same signs.

Look at their last two seasons.

• Looney_toon_89

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:30 PM

This guy is class. Odd first signing though considering our highest priorities must be up front, out wide & back four. I know he can play out wide but it would be a waste like sticking Sissoko out wide. With a 4-4-1-1 formation he would slot in well in a fully fit squad with Colback, Sissoko & De Jong. However I expect to see Sissoko leave if this signing goes ahead, but at the minute Liverpool are the only club with any credible interest, and I would have thought they would be looking for somebody more consistant than Sissoko to help replace Gerrard.

• Thump

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:33 PM

@op: Bookies won’t take the bet, mate. Said I’d bankrupt them.

Wouldn’t mind but I only wanted to put 50p on it.

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Jesper

The defence is my biggest gripe.
    I’ve never rated Colo, Saylor is of zero use 90% of the time and we’re left with Willo, who tries but isn’t up to it.

I don’t think I’ll be happy until all 3 are gone, I can say that now as I can’t see how we could sign three as ineffective CB’S as those, I’m sure they’ll try though.

• WWSBRD

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM

jesper
    Haha I still think its only a matter of time before we are linked with Dragovic and then fingers crossed its not a false rumour

I think we will enter the new season with Colo, Lascelles, Saylor and someone new if Willo goes but if he doesnt then I dont think we will see anyone new in

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Thump

Dead cert then

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Yo…Dragovic is just your kind of player 😉

…can we get him? They can have Colo,Willo and Saylor in return!

• WWSBRD

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:39 PM

The most annoying thing about Saylor is that without the injuries he would of made a good CB, Id even forgive his Mr Newcastle attitude if he stayed fit but for 10 games a season he fills us with hope then internally ruptures everything and hes done until next go around

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Hi Guys, wide awake now, just thought I would fill you in.

I sent an email to the digest editor asking why he’d taken the site down and he replied.
    NUFC had sent an email saying that digest was in breach of some law by printing the email that was sent by Steve McClaren. It said Digest site had to be taken down or NUFC would begin legal proceedings. It was signed by Kevin Bishop.
    He took the site down and started a new one called howaythemags.wordpress.com

Btw Ed it’s taken me 20 mins to write this due to the drugs I’ve been given and the bloody annoying ads.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Keith Bishop even

• beermonkey

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM

tfl

glad ur on the mend

• WWSBRD

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM

jesper
    A big mad ba***rd? Ur damn right

He was linked with West Ham recently if they failed in their bid for Aymen so only a matter of time before our name is thrown in the mix

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:50 PM

TFL…does the ads come with the drugs 😀

…hope you are recovering!

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Thanks Beer, gotta have my third op at 9 in the morning be glad to get outta here 🙁

Don’t know what is pissing me off more, the pain or that we still haven’t signed anyone!!!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Yo…I would sign him just out if spite so WHam won’t get him 😀 lol

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:54 PM

I haven’t been on much this weekend but it has been a real joy today!

…not gonna say why but it has 😉

• beermonkey

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:55 PM

tfl

morphine is the answer to both click that button

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Dragovic would be a hell of a signing for us

• beermonkey

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:56 PM

jesper

like the blog of old

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:56 PM

beer I’m on copious amounts of morphine and a drip and some bloody annoying machine which is buzzing ;(

• WWSBRD

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:58 PM

jesper
    Haha yeah wouldnt be against it…more annoyed because they are ahead of us in the transfer stakes!

Really good old Joe should of let us sign Douglas from Twente would of made a lot of things easier

TFL
    Haha damn right he would be and that Sule was it?

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:59 PM

that’s him WWSBRD the dream team

• optimistic prime

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Just reading the paper gossip from the bbc.

Sterling is in line for a cut of the £4m agents fee if he moves to Citeh.

Pardon my launguage but what the fcuk does a agent do to deserve £4m?