The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Target Returns To Training Tomorrow

10:09 pm, Sunday, July 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Newcastle United target Georginio Wijnaldum returns to training tomorrow at PSV, and today he has been linked heavily with the Tyneside club as it looks like he has rejected a possible move to Sunderland according to the Sunday People.

Other reports suggest Sunderland have decided to pull out of the chase – but the Wearside club are no longer said to be after Georginio.

Georginio Wijnaldum  in white +FC+Twente+v+PSV+Eindhoven+qM_lhCm4cqml

Georginio Wijnaldum – Newcastle said to be close to signing

There was a report in today’s Sunday People that Newcastle were closing in on signing the 19 times Ditch International midfielder, so the fact that he has tweeted he is looking forward to that doesn’t negate that story.

He’s not going to tweet that he will sign this week for Newcastle.

Of course we still don’t know if there’s any truth in the story, but we have been linked with for a few weeks now and he’s been a target for over four years at Newcastle with Graham Carr watching his progress in the Eredevisie.

But expectations are building this week that Newcastle can bring in a couple of good players – so let’s hope that happens.

Here’s Georginio’s Twitter account and one of the tweets he sent out today:

Wijnaldum has played 154 times for PSV with 56 goals and 24 assists, and while at Feyenoord from 2006 through 2011 he played 135 times with 25 goals and 11 assists.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Some of his movement and touches are quality him as the right winger would be great

• 2 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:13 PM

What’s the story here again in terms of that tweet?

• 3 swemag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:14 PM

@ Kris

A source that claims to have info from Graham Carr, not directly but second hand, so somewhat deluted.

However, same source said the night Carver was fired and the new board was announced that exactly that was going to happen and also named the full board. Hence I tend to believe what he says.

• 4 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Jesper

Don’t say his name 3 times.

I was just having a day dream about our first game in Europe for years. I think it was Athletic Bilbao. I was working away for the first time in Bolton and got loads of stick off them and Man U fans.

In the warm up the commentator basically said if we played like we did in the league we’d get hammered. We won 5-0 with a hat trick of headers from Rob Lee and won the tie 10-2 on agrigate.

Twenty odd years ago but that’s how I rember it.

• 5 Brummie // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:18 PM

He was not included in the PSV Squad

• 6 Brummie // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:18 PM

• 7 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Well Jesper the story earlier was he was left out of the psv squad because he was in talks with us. When in reality he hasn’t returned to training yet.

I called it earlier #Itk

• 8 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM

OP
    Just once more on the Colback discussion. It made me wonder when you mentioned several times Colback’s high bookings count so I looked at some premier league stats. Often people mention Tiote gets a bad deal on the subject of discipline and Colback gets away with it. I was genuinely surprised to find Tiote has been booked 47 times in 118 appearances, 1 red. Colback 27 bookings in 150, also 1 red.,

• 9 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM

On the papers thing.

It doesn’t make much sense if your pi55ed off with stories in the papers to then pi55 the papers off by only giving stories to one.

The other papers are still going to write their stories but they’ll have a bee in their bonnet from the start.

Seems counter productive to me.

• 10 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Prime
    Think you being a touch harsh on Colback, he’s ok, clearly wouldn’t get a game for top6, but he’s a decent lad whos honest and shows some ability (Burnley goal), he was free an all and wanted to come, no brainer.

The lad was amazing in the derby game for scum wen they beat us three zips, showed Tiote right up. No surprise we signed him, if we press he may come good, I’ve seen him have excellent halves this year!!!

Prime – rob lee played loads for England and unfortunately bilboa put us out of the uefa cup after we led 3-0 at home, good old Keegan. Think it was Antwerp or some shifty Belgian side we smashed 5-0 away from home..

Days of Phillip Albert dashing forward and leaving peacock as a one man defence when we where three up.. 🙂

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM

OP…that was back when I started to follow the Toon. It was 1994 or 1995 wasn’t it?

I came with Shearer, but was watching the Toon alot the years before. I liked the football it was somewhat ‘unbritish’ even if that’s not a word 😀

• 12 swemag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM

For a while there some time ago Tiote could not play a game without being booked.
    Pardew even stopped playing him at the end of one season as he was close to getting a suspension, the yellow cards are removed for the new season, the suspension would have been carried over.

• 13 Kris // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Interesting that Sky has removed the denial report about no cantact between NUFC and PSV about Wijnaldum. Peter Graves from Sky has written on his Twitter that he knows Newcastle have been in Holland and Are interested in the player.

Lee Ryder also seems very confident that NUFC are closing in on the player. Just take a look at his conversations on his Twitter. Althought he says we just have been in contract with his representatives, I’m very optimistic about this one! ????

• 14 Kris // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Hope ur right swemag! Would be an amazing signing for us.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Belfast…so basically there’s no story? 😉 …as of yet!

• 16 Kris // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM

He doesn’ say he is looking forward to the training with PSV, Ed?

• 17 swemag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM

You can’t really win with the press, however, if you are a billionaire who is used to getting what you want and being successful at most things you will give it a try.

I have no idea, I have not been a billionaire that many times to give a good account of that…

• 18 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Sing

I was talking about for us in a season in cm.

Colback didn’t start all those games and played quite a few at left back, can’t really compaire total cards when it’s a combination of different positions and sub appearances.

I’d check those again, I’m sure Tiote has had more than one red for us. I maybe wrong and judging him on rep.

• 19 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:29 PM

The anticipation for Wij is making us all delirious! The lad’s getting a big build up. I’m expecting him to jump off the Rotterdam ferry and walk all the way up the tyne without getting his feet wet!
    Its a sign!! ing

• 20 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Jesper

Just checked, it was Royal Antwerp don’t know why I rember Bilbao and yes you have the right season 94/95

• 21 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Check

I always felt sorry for peacock, the rest of the team was in the opposition 6yard box whilst he was 1 against 5 in our pen area.

Poor lad.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM

OP…I cannot even remember games back then, but you might be right. Seem to remember we won 3-2 against Bilbao at home but lost on away goals?

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Anyone going to the FF meeting tomorrow?

• 24 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM

NUFC confirm Windi bid

I’m not sure who confirmed it

• 25 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Can this lad actually play CM, box to box? Seems more a no 10 which is where de Jong will play

• 26 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Jesper

I think you’re right.

Certain games I rember everything, others I can’t even rember going, especially the away ones 🙂

• 27 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Yo…I believe he played most of his games last season from CM!

• 28 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:48 PM

But then again I think PSV prefers a 4-3-3

• 29 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:49 PM

jesper
    Oh fair doos then am all on board the hype train

I do think it will be a little forward heavy midfield though am willing to try it out

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Yo…yeah I hear you mate 🙂

But if Steve wants to play 4-3-3 then I say bring him on!

previous post: Paul Simpson And Ian Cathro Outline Their Coaching Roles