The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Paul Simpson And Ian Cathro Outline Their Coaching Roles

4:51 pm, Sunday, July 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 163 Comments

We are finally hearing from some of Steve McClaren’s new coaches and they have been talking on nufcTV – and on a new show they are calling Magpies 24/7.

steve mcclaren and coaches

Steve McClaren with his new coaches
From left to right – Schoenmaker, Simpson, McClaren, Cathro (smile needed) and Black
Goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman isn’t shown

This is what Paul Simpson – who was assistant manager to Steve at Derby County had to say:

“It’s a great opportunity for us all to come to a football club like this.” “Steve’s tried to put a management team together that’s going to help as much as we possibly can; he’s brought Ian Cathro in, who’s a very bright up-and-coming coach with a fantastic energy to him and really good ideas, and myself to help with the organisational stuff, an extra pair of hands out on the training field.”

“Alessandro’s come in on the fitness side to go alongside what’s already here and one thing that has really pleased us since we came into the building is that the other staff have been absolutely spot on so far. They’ve really taken us in, they all want to be involved and hopefully with us all together we can help bring some real good times back to the football club.”

“We’re delighted with what we’ve got. The players are showing that they’ve got the enthusiasm, that they want to learn and listen. I think they’re still a little bit nervous because of all the changes that are going on but they’ll get used to us – they’ll realise that we’re not the type of people who rule everything with a stick.”

“We want their input into it. We want them to enjoy training, we want them to be enthusiastic and I think when you come back for pre-season, you can’t help but be enthusiastic working at a football club like this.”

Ian Cathro is only 28 years old and the youngest member of Steve McClaren’s staff – and he was the assistant manager at Valencia last season,  but left a few weeks ago for personal reasons.

Ian is already well respected as a coach for one so young, but he is a really hard worker and seems to be born to be in coaching.

This is what the Scot had to say:

“Everyone’s keen to make some progress. My view is to give everything that I possibly can, spend every hour of the day that I can apply to trying to support Steve and the rest of the staff, help the players improve and just give every part of me that I can. I think that’s the role of an assistant coach and I’ll try and do my very best.”

“I know I’m still probably quite young, and that’s written in the first line of most things, but I don’t feel it. I’m just a hard worker and you get a lot done when you focus entirely on one thing.”  “I’m already losing my hair so time for me seems to be passing a little bit quicker than for others, perhaps.”

Those are good words from both Paul and Ian and it seems they are a good team already.

After it took a while for Steve to put together his coaching team – which also includes goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman – Steve  has put together what looks like an excellent team who can get the very best out of the players already at the club.

It’s taking a little time to get new players in, but if we can get a couple or three in this week that would be excellent.

There’s a lot of concern with fans at the moment because of the lack of signings at the club but remember – all’s well that ends well.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Newcastle News · Premier League

163 responses so far ↓

• 1 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Hope the rumours are true about Wijnaldum, and I think we should make it a double swoop and go for their left back Jetro Willems as well . Although I do still rate Haidara .

If its true we could line up something like :

—————————-De Jong—————————–

That would leave us with a very strong bench as well .

• 2 SuperShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM

@BPC when did Aarons become a striker? Surly Perez would be better off in that position?

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:02 PM

@ Super

Similar to how Liverpool use Sterling .

• 4 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM

just got back from work so first post of the day !

sissoko been linked with the puds ! hand on heart if we get wijnaldum and we can get 15mil+ for sissoko knowing what liverpool are like throwing money about i can nly see it as being a great deal.

as much as i love sissoko and think he’s one of our strongest players i must say i cant see how he will fit in as he’s a jack of all but master of none player and tbf we have colback/abied who can do just as good a job at that ! he’s also not a winger like he’s been played for us imo.

wijnaldum is a far far better player going forward imo.

ivan toney will be great to watch also ! 300-600k for a lad with his talents is a snip if he progresses and apart from arma/perez he’s a class above the rest of the youth strikers.

just want the austin out of the way now one way or the other (i’d prefere mitrovic myself) and us bringing in atleast one class cb.

• 5 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Sky sports transfer centre:

• 6 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Good words, nice to hear something that doesn’t include, ‘I’m a Geordie and love the club’, or ‘i will do this for sir bobby craic’

Unbelievable to think of the incompetents who have directed this club over the last five years. We are lucky to be in the PL, Ashley has gambled on getting through that period and I reckon we are now on the road to some decent stuff…..

Took some time but it may have been waiting for…

• 7 lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Andy Woodman not in the photo ?
    On his day off or on holiday ( shouldn’t be ) ?
    Or not part of the future plans and off to Palace ?

• 8 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM

i’d go

no place for cabella/tiote/perez/sissoko/hairdryer/darlow/marv/saylor/abied apart from the bench or injury cover

• 9 JDdubai // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:10 PM

And then Sky Transfer centre has to go and destroy the dream……

Do Sky ever get it wrong?

• 10 widowmagandapoke // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM

We have Bee liked with Winjadlum in a few sources now. Looking forwa

• 11 widowmagandapoke // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Linked with Winadjum in a few sources now. Can I stop crossing my fingers now?

• 12 Ron Knee // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM

This is what The Chronic says:
    “The 24-year-old’s representatives have held talks with United in the last few days and Newcastle hope to complete the signing soon. No deal has been struck yet.”

• 13 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM

This time next week maybe the time when we’ve got ‘someone over the line’ …
    So far so good McLaren or his staff haven’t quoted any tripe or utter guff such as parsnip and charver..

• 14 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM

He was left out of the Psv squad for there friendly today

• 15 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Not that it means anything regarding a transfer

• 16 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Has he even returned to training yet ? Most international players don’t come back until later than the rest.

• 17 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM

lets assume they do bring in Winjadlum. if hes replacing sissoko and costs 15M, what does sissokos valuation? i cant imagine we would bring in a replacement that cost more than the player being sold? that is NOT the MIke ashley way. why do all article have arbitrary valuations and all the article about liverpool taking sisoka have none?

• 18 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM

@17 taco

well if its true that liverpool want him we will prob get 100mil for sissoko 😉

doesnt really matter tbh as sissoko money will not be re-spent but i do think wijnaldum is a better more effective player tbh.

• 19 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM

OP – we signed him because he is the type of player who is gona accept being a sub player.U can’t keep top players in the bench every time.Every club must have back up type player
    unless your club is super rich.
    I never noticed colback made costly errors or freekicks that led us to lose games.He hardly make mistakes.He received the amount of yellow cards u mentioned because he made valuable tackles and successful physical battle.
    And i don’t want to get in to pardew is clueless or carver was inept thing but i just wanna say wait and see how important they both are for the team when the season starts.

• 20 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Not sure Belfast, with the way it’s being mentioned I’d assumed he was back.

My ass umption

• 21 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Sky jst decides to kill my night

• 22 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:01 PM

i agree he would be an upgrade of sisoko and i would be happy to see that move, but isnt that a luxury at this point? how many tranfer windows n a row has this team needed to bring in a top quality CB???? its sickening at this point.

speaking of CB, anyone think this is any chance of jamal starting as CB?

• 23 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Colback came because he wanted 1st team, he’d already said he was sick of being on the bench or at LB for the mackems. I doubt highly he’d be happy sat on our bench or he had it in mind when he signed.

I’ll watch, but don’t hold your breath if you’re expecting them to be a valuable part of the side.

• 24 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Interesting year for tv coverage. With Sky and BT slugging it out for four of our games from the off. Gives everyone a chance to see if it’s worth buying a ticket or not;)

• 25 beermonkey // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

I am expecting tiote to be sold

where do u think McLaren will use anita

• 26 Reyantoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Anyway i’m off.Dinner time for me and some drinks.Will Catch you another day..

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Mind I am starting to warm a bit to this coaching setup. Not so much of the fanciful romanticism and a bit more of the drive and dynamism of a crew that wants to make a mark in the right place and the right time. Hopefully not the skid marks we’ve had before.

• 28 albertluque92 // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

so the chronicle must be making things up, sums up the past month quite well

• 29 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Op it’s all right him wanting a first team spot but imo, handy as he is, he should be back up for a better player. If he dont like it, improve or move.

• 30 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I suppose that is a good point check makes, I’m as guilty as anyone, except Belfast of course, of finger tapping impatience at the lack of transfer news, but I’d be boiling mad by now at Pardew’s vacuous claptrap. Count our blessings I suppose.

I just want to see some signings so we can bitch and moan about what team and how useless it is ha ha

• 31 Graeme // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Sky sports transfer centre:

Despite paper talk of Newcastle being close to a deal with Wijnaldum, Sky sources understand there has been no contact between Newcastle and the Dutch club!!

• 32 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM

If he plays 433 Anita will be one of the three in midfield.

In his 3 man midfield it’s usually two all rounders and a AM. IMO Anita suits the all rounder sort of role more than Colback. Anita is more aware of his role and how to play it.

You don’t need a DM if you have proper midfield players. Without any signings the midfield 3 against Gateshead will be Abeid SDJ Anita.

Anita always gets a bum rap, wrongly IMO.

• 33 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Being a team with no ambition is a bad thing. Spurs has jst bought Tony Alder for jst £11.5m thats cheap.

• 34 Novocastrian66 // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM

According to the Telegraph, Wijnaldum has been left out of PSV’s squad For a pre season friendly.

• 35 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM

I couldn’t understand why we signed him and still don’t. I fail to see what he brought to the squad never mind first team.

Was he meant to be the Cabaye replacement 😉

• 36 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM

I actually bought into Anita being a bit of an air bubble at one point but the west ham game showed when he was allowed to take on a proper role he grabbed it by the clackers. Only the fact Jonas popped the killer in overshadowed a MoM performance by Anita that day. I really hope McLaren is the guy to finally slot him into the jigsaw. He’ll be like a new signing!

• 37 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM

F@ck u sky sports that has jst killed me. Over and Over and Over.

• 38 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Op ha ha ha hang on I’ve got to firmly hold my sides ha ha oh dear Cabaye replacement 😀

• 39 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Ha don’t be so quick to believe sky sports. Where’s your optimism? Oh. I see.

• 40 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Guy had internationals so may b he is still on holiday.

• 41 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I’m just thinking Luke Edwards is maybe jumping on the bandwagon with this one. The bloke has probably been left out because he hasn’t returned to training yet.

I tend to believe Sky more than Edwards or Ryder tbh

• 42 AndyMac // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:38 PM

“Paul Simpson And Ian Cathro Outline Their Coaching Roles”

One puts the cones out and the other………..

• 43 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Was planning to go to work tomorrow and boost around my buddies. Telling them I told u to trust the board.

• 44 Slank // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Novocastrian66 @ 34

‘..According to the Telegraph, Wijnaldum has been left out of PSV’s squad For a pre season friendly…’

Unless it’s a very odd and unique coincidence but the article in the Telegraph is by a person who shares the same name as Lee Ryder of the Chronicle.

• 45 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:40 PM

I always laugh when I think about Edwards. I remember him giving some pundit dogs abuse last pre season for predicting Leyton Orient would be relegated last season.

Leyton Orient got relegated.

• 46 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Me too. Sky Sports is my reliable source

• 47 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Don’t pour too much scorn on the coaching setup just yet. If they come up with the goods and make us a decent team Jeff and his multiples will be all over us like flies on something that flies really like.

• 48 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Well Sky is a preferred media partner after all…

• 49 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Has anyone checked Indykaila and Soccer sauce yet though?

• 50 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM

And maybe someone could find Himanshu and see what his tip for backup striker is. I know he always had a soft spot for Shola. A muddy hole at the bottom of his garden 🙂

• 51 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Sky is the same as all the rest, stories built on gossip. They’ll spin the same stories as everyone else and claim exclusive.

The only reliable source is when it’s confirmed by either club.

• 52 Moonraker15 // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM

If Anita is in our “new” midfield then we ain’t gonna be challenging for any honours. With respect to him he’s a squad player and we need someone who will dominate midfield (Cabaye would do ).

The trouble is this regime and especially Pardew has lowered our expectations so much we are now thinking that way.

I’m sure McClaren will be looking to push for top 6 net season and with 3 good signings he can achieve that!

• 53 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Yep Skunki just checked the hmmmmmm ever reliable soccer sauce.
    It’s Monday tomorrow according to their sauces.

• 54 mydogscalledperez // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I work in Sachins and Black was in last night with Dave Watson and Cathro. Hoping they were working on the training plans for the new signings if they ever arrive

• 55 clinath@ed // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Tsunki….skid mark, brilliant.

• 56 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I’m shocked you think we’ll be challenging for any honours or top six.
    Slightly more shocked that you think 3 players would give us a good enough squad/team to do either.

I don’t think expectations get any lower than when romanticising about former players, Cabaye wasn’t and still isn’t as great as some make out.

Good player but I wouldn’t take him back and doubt many would. with his attitude it would be a disaster.

• 57 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I’ve been wondering for a while how they have such a good reputation on the Itk scene? their follower count is pretty shite (terrible actually) when you compare it to the other bullshitters.

• 58 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Maybe they were discussing Naan-i?

• 59 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM

before anita signed for us i thought he was a very good player ! 6mil was a bargain imo.

unfortunatly even as the player he was i cant see him adapting to the prem as he kinda didnt do much apart from make sure another player got the ball as i recall !

not too many tackles in that respect a believe pardew actually did improve him but neither was he creative or any good at getting in the box to score or assist but he purely kept things ticking over in midfield !

imo i’d prefer colback/tiote/abied/sissoko over him.

not that he’s a bad player ! just not my type of player.

• 60 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I have seen lots of calls for waiting to see what McClaren can unleash from our current playing squad. In the same breath however, I have seen lots of calls questioning certain players attitudes / commitment, usually followed by “He can be sold”.

My question is, if we are to assume that McClaren can impact on their playing style and performance, can he not do the same with their attitude / commitment? Why is it some players are worthy of this clean slate, but not others?

Either we’re going in to this with preconceptions or open minds. Or is it a case of pick and choose?

Sissoko is probably the biggest name in the squad who is subjected to this unbalanced criticism at the moment. Cisse usually gets a bit too. I fully admit he has left me more than frustrated. He often gave up. The same could be argued for the club itself previously. Clean slate?

Let’s face it, he’s still one of our purples. The idea is to be upgrading the deadwood, surely? That would then possibly push Sissoko down the pecking order, make him a sub player. Isn’t that how we turn this squad in to one that can challenge for silverware?

We’ve been told that we’re now in a good financial position. Therefore, there should be no need to move on our top players to fund this next re-build. This is the window we’ve all been waiting for, why is the mentality the same as the previous ones?

Okay, maybe more than one question.

• 61 mydogscalledperez // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I’d rig the tables with hearing devices if it was my place!! The sturridge being only able to play one game a week from now on is buidling up pace, would we be in for him if benteke goes to liverpool and balotelli stays??

• 62 Moonraker15 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:06 PM

like I say, our expectations have been lowered by all the dumbing down but if you take out the obvious 5 or 6 teams there’s nothing much to worry about and we got 5th place a couple of seasons ago with useless Pardew in charge!

However, the new signings have to be quality and we can’t do it with the likes of Anita as a regular!

• 63 firebug666 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Soccer Sauce Have reported a bid accepted for Georgio Wijnaldum.

Soccer Sauce ?@soccer_sauce 4h4 hours ago
    Breaking: Newcastle have agreed a fee for Georgio Wijnaldum.Player to travel to Tyneside early next week. #NUFC

Most media seem to agree a deal is close, except Sky; I wonder if they have paid their monthly fee for access all areas.

• 64 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I believe too with the right signings we will try to challenge the top 6. It will b US, Everton, Stoke, Westham and Southampton.

• 65 beermonkey // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:06 PM

anita has never had a decent run in the team and on few occasions has done well then been dropped
    people go on about his size but from the new pic on nufc website he is the same size as colback
    lachelles looks a giant

anita abied are two players I hope McLaren can do something with

• 66 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:07 PM

When Anita got a little run in the team (no joke meant about his small legs – that would be childish…) didn’t he put in a few MOTM performances? Only to then be dropped because a favourite was back in contention?

Same with MBiwa if I recall correctly. Don’t get me wrong, both have had howlers too, but if that is going to be the way in which we judge, we’re going to need a whole new team.

• 67 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM

@60 ibiza

tbh i’d rather not risk the fact that our avg players at best can be improved enough to win us something !

if they are that good at their jobs surely they can improve more talented players than our current ones ?

• 68 Tsunki // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Oh right soccer sauce says it’s done and dusted? Oh well, let’s move on then…

• 69 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Croftus…Sorry, you’ve lost me a little. Are you talking about Sissoko or the current team in general?

• 70 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Still no news on players coming in, what a load of rubbish.

• 71 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

The problem is we are only allowed 11 purples. Who decides when a purple has turned maroon or that a maroon is nearly purple?

I understand what you’re saying but what do you see happening if Sissoko ends up on the bench, would he fight for his place or stamp his feet then cause bother and demand a move.

Some players IMO just aren’t good enough to warrant a place in a EPL squad never mind a chance a first 11.

Some players showed their true colours last year, I wouldn’t give them a second chance to fail so miserably again.

• 72 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Was impressed with Anita in last games. Mainly at RB but was very impressed in last game. If he plays continously as he diid at Westham but him in.

• 73 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM

@69 ibiza

as a whole mate esp the ones who let us down last year i.e. colo/willo/river ect !

mcclaren could prob improve them for all i know but why take the risk when we could buy an already class player and start improving them instead of trying to get the best price ashley can do for our misfits.

• 74 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM

OP…I mentioned this the other day. The board need to provide clarity to the situation.

We are being led to believe things are changing. We are being left to assume what those changes are.

It appears to be a devisive issue. Why not clear it up? Didn’t the club say communication needed to be addressed back in January?

Croftus…I see. I also agree. However, my point was more for those who are saying we should give this new team of coaches time to see what can be done with the current squad, where do you draw the line? Not sure you’ll be able to answer, much like me 🙂

Still, realistically and reasonably, how many new players can we expect to arrive this summer?

I see no rush to let our current purples go quite yet. If their heads drop, then sell them. Otherwise we’re maybe improving the quality of our starting 11, but the backup options will be exactly the same.

• 75 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM

If it wasn’t for Anita’s performance in midfield against West Ham we’d be in the championship end of story.

He showed Colback and Sissoko how to play that role despite hardly getting a sniff and previously being shunted around the pitch.

Guti took the headlines and rightly so but the best player by a country mile was Anita.

Closing down, tackling, turning the ball over and always being available which took massive pressure off the back 4.

He’s in the right place at the right time all the time, it’s not his fault he’s played alongside headless chicken grafter types.

• 76 awaydays // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM

People acting as if theyve been watching ivan toney since he broke through… Stop jumping on the band wagon

• 77 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:24 PM

If we are really after this Rolan guy he shows some very good little touches and finishes

Get Austin for 15 million Rolan for about 8 and that would be Cisse replaced so he can go get his final big pay cheque and pay for his 400 girlfriends !!

On Anita I think he may start every game under Mclaren and will be integral to our play

• 78 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:28 PM

@74 ibiza

i cant see the future thats for sure but looking at whats in the squad with reguards to pro players on fairly decent wages and the fact i honestly believe ashley is so greedy he will look to either run those players out of their contract hoping a team comes in for them before they are free or get compensation or we can improve them enough for another team to bid for them to get some sort of money from them!

or even sell a player like sissoko so we can buy a cheaper replacement (better replacement if he can as long as they improve in value)

i’m guessing 1 or 2 signings so he has not got wasted players just picking up wages maybe 3 if someone is sold.

• 79 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:30 PM

When Anita picked the ball up and ran the whole length of the pitch against West Ham then fluffed the pass loads gave Anita a hard time.

I pointed at the 3 that followed him up the pitch, you could have dropped a hankerchief over all 3. Intelligent play would have had one pull back slightly one go right and the other left giving Anita options.

Instead all 3 ran together a cpl feet apart and Anita got shit for failing to find them.

IMO he shoulda have just shot as the 3 muppets following didn’t deserve a pass for not stretching the play and helping Anita out.

Poor play on their part

• 80 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Croftus…I think I get what you’re saying – it has been a long day (week, month…). My point was more not to do with what we expect Ashley may or may not do, nor what McClaren and Co, can or can’t do, but more why, as fans, do we appear to be keen to move on players who are quite frankly our better players, even with their shortcomings?

Surely we can think of players we want rid of before Sissoko? Some may think that no one will buy these players from us. Fair enough. Wouldn’t it be bold, given that these are supposed new days at NUFC, that they simply replaced a player for not being good enough.

They’ve done it in the past when “attitude” has been the issue. Given that we’re now in good financial shape and trying to bolt on horses, could that thinking not be applied to talent and ability…or more to the point, lack of talent and / or ability?

• 81 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Hi guys had my second surgery last night, still not compus mentus but that’s nowt new lol, gotta have a third operation tomorrow.

Still no new signings I see, fans forum should be interesting tomorrow, wouldn’t mind being a fly on that wall. hope everyone is well.

• 82 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM

TFL…Good to hear number 2 is out of the way and you’re able to get on the blog.

Good luck tomorrow.

OP…I think a lot of the frustration was that he didn’t go for the shot. I agree with you that the options he was given were really poor, but so was his decision to go with the pass.

He did have a cracking game. He must have panicked – when was the last time NUFC had a 3/4 on 1 attack? Must have been a surprise for them, as it was us 🙂

• 83 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Hmm…that opening line might be a little suspect there….

‘Bowel troubles keeping you off the blog? Then try our brand new product…’

• 84 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM

It’s still the purples for me, I can’t see Ashley ever building a competitive squad.
    The team may improve but there’ll always be youth or potential in the squad with no real quality pushing the first 11.

Why? Wages would be my guess.

On a similar line. Why has Sammy being offered a contract only to be loaned out?

If McLaren is assessing the squad why has Sammy been offered on loan before Schteeve has had anytime to judge him?

• 85 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I don’t think we need to sign anyone personally, mcclaren and his team are much better than the previous rubbish we had here, they will get the best out of players that struggled last season, also they will get the tactics and formation right, on paper we have got a strong squad it just needs better coaching and guidance and this coaching team will be the ones to do it.

• 86 welshgeordie9 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

• 87 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Was the only bad decision he made all game.

Good luck

• 88 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:45 PM

hi mate hope it wasnt too much hassle and its all over soon buddy !

all the best for tomoz .

• 89 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:47 PM

All the best bud, look forward to having u fully back on here soon

On topic I don’t believe this PSV wonder kid will rock up but I like our coaching team, it seems like some thought went into it

• 90 Harley // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Can any regular posters please help me out?

I went on holiday a few weeks ago and and when I came back there was no Jeff from benwell and I’ve not seen him post since. I’ve read a few references to him but nothing I can gain a concrete conclusion to.

Also was there another annoying Welsh poster for a bit?

• 91 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:49 PM

I remember back to that 5th placed finish season. I was a big supporter of the idea that we didn’t really need any new players. It was a mistake. We stagnated big time, and that was with players who got us 5th.

How many teams in the PL have barron transfer windows? Nevermind one of the top 20 richest clubs in the world, in the PL which pays out the largest amounts than any league in the world.

It’s not buying for the sake of buying, it’s progressing as that is what other teams will be doing. Some you win, some you lose, but surely we’ve learnt by not doing anything you’ll definitely be falling behind?

OP…It would be great if the club told us what mistakes it is they’ve learnt from.

I like Anita. Think as a minimum he’s useful to have about, with a decent setup, an invaluable part of the puzzle.

• 92 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM

@80 ibiza

your right it should be more than enough of an excuse.

i just think ashley is trying to sell his sweets past their sell by dates instead of just binning them.

• 93 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Sky just withdrew their article which said how there’s been no contact between Newcastle and Psv in regard to wijnaldum

• 94 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Both Georginio Wijnaldum and Ivan Toney were left out of their teams in their friendlies today

• 95 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM

U like Anita? May I query why?

I liked him for 1 match the rest, he seems like a nice bloke, but as a player I rather nothing him…he’s just there every so often

• 96 Ibizatoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Yo…I think when he’s been given a fair run, he’s shown what he can be capable of.

I also don’t think our previous set up suited what the guy is about.

Generally, when given a run, I think he keeps things ticking over in the middle of the park. Not a superb player, a lot of what he does often goes un-noticed, certainly not desrving of the criticism he get’s imo.

• 97 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Thanks guys for the luck, the mobile signal in this hospital is rubbish. I know I was mocked for linking the site but I can’t seem to find the Digest site anyone know where its gone?

• 98 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM

His manager says Toony is in talks with us, we’re supposed to have had talks with Windi but haven’t agreed a fee with his club. Mostly still gossip for now.

• 99 kilcline // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Get well soon toonfromleeds

Hope some good transfers this week to help

• 100 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM

I hope this gossip is true, perhaps these are deals similar to the SDJ signing which went pretty much under the radar until there was a fee agreed.

• 101 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Good luck with your operation tomorrow buddy

• 102 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM

and I think the nufcdigest site has just been taken down

• 103 martoon // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Harley @90 – I think Jeff was blocked by Ed but is resurrected as JiB (not particularly subtle).

• 104 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:15 PM

I’d take Windi in a heartbeat

I’d like to see Ashley leave quicker though

• 105 croftus5678 // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:16 PM

@100 james

annoyingly for us fans its prob the best way our penny pinching club can sign players !

if others dont know we are after them its less competition for us ! esp as we cant compete with west ham and bournmouth now 😉

• 106 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:17 PM

I’ll tell you from a Dane’s perspective and probably even from a Dutch’s as well size has nothing to do with it!

• 107 beermonkey // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:18 PM

who in our current crop of players would you class as a purple

• 108 bladeuser // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM

8why r u lot always suprised when a target never happens and signs for another club
    let me run it by u for the umteenth time there r no targets until the top teams havehad there fill and the smaller clubs fight for the scraps
    When will u ever learn your so f@#@##$ sad and to think i was the same years ago until i cottened on
    NUFC take u for a mug take your money and take the piss out of u behind there mansions jyst like shepard did years ago

• 109 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM

The leader on the previous post has nothing to do with new players being hired.
    I reckon it’s Ian Toon and Jib finally being hired to the PR Department – in payment of services rendered.

• 110 OneAlanShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Why do people quote soccer sauce? It couldn’t look more like a fake itk if it tried.

• 111 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:21 PM

I think this is a case where we will disagree mate. I don’t think he’s good enough to play in the centre in a PL team

I would probably have him as our worst CM…Colback, Sissoko, Tiote, Abied, even Bigi I’d have in the team above him in cm, he may have a future as back up RB but he doesn’t want to play there so that leaves him no where for me

I’d sell him back to Ajax if am honest

• 112 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Hope everything went well,dont know you at all but all the best mate

• 113 alanrichie // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM

• 114 lesh // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Just heard that Charnley’s been chasing the wrong lad – he asked for Mark Tony’s!

• 115 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Senor Tuff…do you think the club only have to pay wages to one of their personalities’? 😉

• 116 lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Sky might say ” no contact between the two clubs ” – doesn’t mean that Newcastle and the player and his Agent haven’t been having a cozy chat “

• 117 JamesToon // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Soccer sauce has actually called a lot of transfers a long time before they happened. They said Janmaat and Colback would join us a long time before they were actually heavily linked

• 118 Harley // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Cheers for that. That’s quite funny though as I’ve noticed this JB annoying everyone but didn’t make the connection.

• 119 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM

I think your analysis of Anita is a little overblown. I know its a matter of opinions but I can’t recall Anita being that impressive. He’s been in and around the 1st team squad for long enough to earn a place / establish himself by now. In my opinion he makes many mistakes and has given away penalties and free kicks in and around the box. These points usually involve having a go at Colback… Several posters but you and Our Toon in particular, I seem to recall, often lay into him, with not being a ball winner / being unable to tackle being the main criticisms. Passing back and sideways etc, Anita does this too. In my opinion Colback is better than Anita in these areas. I just fail to see Anita as the player you describe when he has been in the team.

• 120 mickalfas // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Spot on !!

• 121 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM

No different than how I view Colback.

All I ever hear is he’s a local lad so he gets unjust critisim, rubbish. Tiote gets slaughtered for a fraction of what Colback gets away with. Colback smashed Tiotes yellow card collecting for the season last year, the only player to have got more in a season is Cattermole.

IMO Anita is a better player than Colback, it’s your right to disagree.

Anita has more technical ability than Colback and plays the role much better and he doesn’t run around like a idiot crashing into everyone because he’s out of position, he goes about his buisness with no drama so gets over looked.

English players are so poor compaired to the European equivalent and are always viewed in rose tinted glasses.

Do you think we’d have paid a fee for Colback?
    If so how much?

• 122 lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Lee Ryder

#nufc understood to have been in talks with representatives of Georginio Wijnaldum and hope to close in on deal soon. Not done yet though.
    View on Twitter

• 123 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM

How much who we sell Anita for now?

• 124 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Wijna has jst said he will b at the training ground tomorrow.

• 125 OneAlanShearer // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM

James toon – I have seen lots of posts turn out to be rubbish from them but I will reserve judgement for now. Thanks for the tip.

• 126 lochinvar // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Toon from Leeds
    Hope all progresses well for you.
    Looks like some new players on the way – about time !

• 127 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM

jesper – the master multiple will not be satisfied with one pay packet – he’ll demand half a dozen.

• 128 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Even though he’s sat on the bench we’d get our £6m back.

How much would he have cost if English?

£15m £20m?

• 129 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 8:58 PM

I’ll be highly surprised if there isn’t a PR spectacular tomorrow. The puropse being to steal any thunder from the Fans Forum reps.
    Might even be an announcement of a decent signing.

• 130 alanrichie // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:00 PM

will die for the toon army

• 131 will die for the toon army // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM

It was sent vai twitter. On his page.

• 132 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM

I half expected some sort of signing today with the ff tomorrow. Tomorrow it is then

• 133 John Tudor // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:09 PM

i expect 3 for the future
    not our future

• 134 Mister Tuff // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM

op – they’ve probably had somebody signed for a fortnight and kept them under wraps.

• 135 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:19 PM

6 mill? From who? Lad isn’t worth that, no where near imo

I’d say 6 mill if he was English mate

• 136 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Can’t see it, the club wouldn’t be able to help showing off. Unless he’s shit 😉

• 137 Sazzer // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Georginio Wijnaldum ?@GWijnaldum
    Holidays are over now . tomorrow my first training of the season with @PSV ??

• 138 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:25 PM

It’s all about opinions.

I watch Colback and think Stoke
    I watch Anita and think Ajax

I know which type of football I’d prefer to watch.

• 139 Sazzer // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:28 PM

He didn’t put the ?? at the end.

• 140 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Anita and Colback debate sounds awful familiar like a Jonas/Perch/Simpson/Guthrie debate ……

To be honest I thought both of them played quite well together against West Ham and would provide a solid midfield 2 for then a no 10 and 2 wingers to operate knowing they have solid cover

Anita plays well in a 3 man midfield and was excellent when it was him , Tiote and Cabaye together especially the wins against Man Utd at Old Trafford , Palace away , West Ham away and Chelsea at home

I think a midfield 3 of Colback , Anita and De Jong would work well or Wijnaldum if he signs

• 141 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Colback and Anita are totally different, however I know Colback wouldn’t have played champions league for Ajax for sure.

Colback could make a decent left back but unsure whether he would ever be good enough for a top6 PL team. Honest grafter with a touch of ability, no more.

• 142 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Also only Matic and Schneiderlin won more tackles than Colback last season not bad going !!

Again I still think its unfair to label any of our players rubbish until they have had proper coaching Pardew and Carver have been terrible for years I think we will see an improvement in near enough every player in a big way

Fancy Pardew to be sacked by Palace once his luck runs out

• 143 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:40 PM

U see Anita and think Ajax? They’d be spitting fire if u told them that mate

Sorry but I don’t see where he fits in a PL midfield he’s “tidy” that’s it but what does that mean? He can pass sideways about 5 yards?

Fair doos though mate u rate him I don’t at all

• 144 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:41 PM

Its hard to argue with sweeping generalisations you make like you watch one and think Stoke, the other and think Ajax. But you are right its about opinions in the end. And we have been over this before with Our Toon joining in… the stuff about running round crashing into people etc . I think then it turned out to be more about the history of him putting his finger to his lips when scoring against us for the Mackems,
    My comment to you earlier was about your painting of Anita as the best thing since sliced bread and the one reason we weren’t relegated, when I think he’s been ‘bang ordinary’ every time I’ve seen him.

• 145 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:45 PM

I have a bit of a knark against today’s midfielder.

When I was a kid all my favourite players were midfielders as I thought they were the best players on the pitch.
    They could defend attack tackle score goals cross, they did everything.

There was no AM or DM they took turns going foward or covering but both generally had the ability to do either, now it’s one or the other.

I’d take Rob Lee and Garry Speed in our midfield over any of the current players.
    Lee didn’t get a England cap unless b team counts, and he’d run circles round our current mob.

• 146 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Wwsbrd – not sure de bower would spitting fire when he openly glowed about Anita beforehe became Pardewed.

He’s never had a chance, and when he has, the ball has sailed over his head most the time, he is brave in possession which is an ability nobody else possesses in our midfield, most hide and run away from the ball when the going gets tough. He does not.

He’s our worst midfielder!!! Great judge you……

• 147 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM

OP…two good midfielders you mention there!

Your youth go a few years back I believe 😉 but I do get your point!

I’ll tell you I would take a young forward thinking Head Coach in stead of the likes of McClaren, Pardew, Sven Göran, Hoddle and KK any day of the week!

Football is just different these days, not necessarily better but different.

• 148 musomag // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:53 PM

So after all the latest big-name targets, rumours and deals being done we’re actually in talks with a 19 year old from Northampton Town. No F-ing Comment

• 149 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Aaron Ramsay is an old school midfielder, best in the league for me currently.

• 150 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM

He’d fit straight into a Swansea or Southampton team. We’ve never played with a style that suits him, he tries to pass and move and his team mates have their heads down sprinting for a long ball.

I’m not bothered about him and his lips I was calling him shite before he came, I have a cpl mackem mates and have watched him more than most on here.

His tackling is atrocious which stems from him being out of position and having to rush a tackle. When I watch him it’s always off the cuff, he reacts he isn’t pro active. He’s been taking most of our dead balls this year and it’s been pants, hardly beats the first man.

The lad couldn’t hold down a cm place at Sunderland so why is he now good enough for ours?

He didn’t even stand out in their poor team and if you took away his 14 yellows this year people would hardly remember anything he’s done all year.

• 151 sing in the corner // Jul 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Ha ha yeah with you on the General and Speedo, God rest his soul. But isn’t there a role in the squad for a David Batty or a Lee Bowyer to free their like up?

• 152 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:00 PM

I was 40 two weeks ago mate.

• 153 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:01 PM

@check the toastie

Amazing to think Ramsey could have been a Toon player but we opted not to pay the 500k to sign him at the time even trained with the squad

• 154 Belfast // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:01 PM

So I was correct then. The Dutch bloke doesn’t return to training until tomorrow and Luke Edwards was just jumping on the bandwagon.

This Itk lark is pretty easy eh? 🙂

Soccer Sauce didn’t call that one!

• 155 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:03 PM

OP…then your not old mate 🙂

…we better forget this conversation before Ibiza comes on lol

• 156 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:03 PM

• 157 swemag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Have heard from other reliable sources that the whole Austin thing is true and that if he indeed will come to Toon then that will happen this week. He is the number one target.
    There should also be movement on other targets this week.

Ashley apparently pissed off with press and this is the reason he has chosen one paper and one TV station to get his side of things out.

Nothing new there maybe, but this source has been reliable before so I do believe it.

• 158 WWSBRD // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Drop him into either of those teams and he will be exactly what he is here a bench warmer mate

• 159 Kris // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Hi, lads!

Interesting that Sky has removed the denial report about no cantact between NUFC and PSV about Wijnaldum. Peter Graves from Sky has written on his Twitter that he knows Newcastle have been in Holland and Are interested in the player.

Lee Ryder also seems very confident that NUFC are closing in on the player. Just take a look at his conversations on his Twitter. Althought he says we just have been in contract with his representatives, I’m very optimistic about this one! ????

• 160 Kris // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM

@ swemag

Which sources do you have in mind? Got a reliable link about Austin?

• 161 swemag // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM

And another thing, the whole thing about Austin wanting to stay in London is pure speculation, nothing else.

• 162 optimistic prime // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Don’t say his name 3 times.

I was just having a day dream about our first game in Europe for years. I think it was Athletic Bilbao. I was working away for the first time in Bolton and got loads of stick off them and Man U fans.

In the warm up the commentator basically said if we played like we did in the league we’d get hammered. We won 5-0 with a hat trick of headers from Rob Lee and won the tie 10-2 on agrigate.

Twenty odd years ago but that’s how I rember it.

• 163 check the toastie // Jul 5, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Think you being a touch harsh on Colback, he’s ok, clearly wouldn’t get a game for top6, but he’s a decent lad whos honest and shows some ability (Burnley goal), he was free an all and wanted to come, no brainer.

The lad was amazing in the derby game for scum wen they beat us three zips, showed Tiote right up. No surprise we signed him, if we press he may come good, I’ve seen him have excellent halves this year!!!

previous post: Reports – Multiple Signings To Be Made By Newcastle