Paul Simpson And Ian Cathro Outline Their Coaching Roles

We are finally hearing from some of Steve McClaren’s new coaches and they have been talking on nufcTV – and on a new show they are calling Magpies 24/7.

steve mcclaren and coaches

Steve McClaren with his new coaches
From left to right – Schoenmaker, Simpson, McClaren, Cathro (smile needed) and Black
Goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman isn’t shown

This is what Paul Simpson – who was assistant manager to Steve at Derby County had to say:

“It’s a great opportunity for us all to come to a football club like this.” “Steve’s tried to put a management team together that’s going to help as much as we possibly can; he’s brought Ian Cathro in, who’s a very bright up-and-coming coach with a fantastic energy to him and really good ideas, and myself to help with the organisational stuff, an extra pair of hands out on the training field.”

“Alessandro’s come in on the fitness side to go alongside what’s already here and one thing that has really pleased us since we came into the building is that the other staff have been absolutely spot on so far. They’ve really taken us in, they all want to be involved and hopefully with us all together we can help bring some real good times back to the football club.”

“We’re delighted with what we’ve got. The players are showing that they’ve got the enthusiasm, that they want to learn and listen. I think they’re still a little bit nervous because of all the changes that are going on but they’ll get used to us – they’ll realise that we’re not the type of people who rule everything with a stick.”

“We want their input into it. We want them to enjoy training, we want them to be enthusiastic and I think when you come back for pre-season, you can’t help but be enthusiastic working at a football club like this.”

Ian Cathro is only 28 years old and the youngest member of Steve McClaren’s staff – and he was the assistant manager at Valencia last season,  but left a few weeks ago for personal reasons.

Ian is already well respected as a coach for one so young, but he is a really hard worker and seems to be born to be in coaching.

This is what the Scot had to say:

“Everyone’s keen to make some progress. My view is to give everything that I possibly can, spend every hour of the day that I can apply to trying to support Steve and the rest of the staff, help the players improve and just give every part of me that I can. I think that’s the role of an assistant coach and I’ll try and do my very best.”

“I know I’m still probably quite young, and that’s written in the first line of most things, but I don’t feel it. I’m just a hard worker and you get a lot done when you focus entirely on one thing.”  “I’m already losing my hair so time for me seems to be passing a little bit quicker than for others, perhaps.”

Those are good words from both Paul and Ian and it seems they are a good team already.

After it took a while for Steve to put together his coaching team – which also includes goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman – Steve  has put together what looks like an excellent team who can get the very best out of the players already at the club.

It’s taking a little time to get new players in, but if we can get a couple or three in this week that would be excellent.

There’s a lot of concern with fans at the moment because of the lack of signings at the club but remember – all’s well that ends well.

Here’s hoping.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Hope the rumours are true about Wijnaldum, and I think we should make it a double swoop and go for their left back Jetro Willems as well . Although I do still rate Haidara .

If its true we could line up something like :

—————————Colback——————————
    ———-Sissoko————————Wijnaldum———-

—————————-De Jong—————————–
    ———-Austin——————————Aarons———-

That would leave us with a very strong bench as well .

• SuperShearer

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM

@BPC when did Aarons become a striker? Surly Perez would be better off in that position?

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:02 PM

@ Super

Similar to how Liverpool use Sterling .

• croftus5678

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM

just got back from work so first post of the day !

sissoko been linked with the puds ! hand on heart if we get wijnaldum and we can get 15mil+ for sissoko knowing what liverpool are like throwing money about i can nly see it as being a great deal.

as much as i love sissoko and think he’s one of our strongest players i must say i cant see how he will fit in as he’s a jack of all but master of none player and tbf we have colback/abied who can do just as good a job at that ! he’s also not a winger like he’s been played for us imo.

wijnaldum is a far far better player going forward imo.

ivan toney will be great to watch also ! 300-600k for a lad with his talents is a snip if he progresses and apart from arma/perez he’s a class above the rest of the youth strikers.

just want the austin out of the way now one way or the other (i’d prefere mitrovic myself) and us bringing in atleast one class cb.

• JamesToon

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Sky sports transfer centre:

Ffs

• check the toastie

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Good words, nice to hear something that doesn’t include, ‘I’m a Geordie and love the club’, or ‘i will do this for sir bobby craic’

Unbelievable to think of the incompetents who have directed this club over the last five years. We are lucky to be in the PL, Ashley has gambled on getting through that period and I reckon we are now on the road to some decent stuff…..

Took some time but it may have been waiting for…

• lochinvar

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Andy Woodman not in the photo ?
    On his day off or on holiday ( shouldn’t be ) ?
    Or not part of the future plans and off to Palace ?

• croftus5678

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM

i’d go

————–krul—————-
    jan—jam——colo—-dum
    ———-colback————–
    wijna—————-roland–
    ———-siem—————–
    —–austin—-cisse———-

no place for cabella/tiote/perez/sissoko/hairdryer/darlow/marv/saylor/abied apart from the bench or injury cover

• JDdubai

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:10 PM

And then Sky Transfer centre has to go and destroy the dream……

Do Sky ever get it wrong?

• widowmagandapoke

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM

We have Bee liked with Winjadlum in a few sources now. Looking forwa

• widowmagandapoke

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Linked with Winadjum in a few sources now. Can I stop crossing my fingers now?

• Ron Knee

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM

This is what The Chronic says:
    “The 24-year-old’s representatives have held talks with United in the last few days and Newcastle hope to complete the signing soon. No deal has been struck yet.”

• check the toastie

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM

This time next week maybe the time when we’ve got ‘someone over the line’ …
    So far so good McLaren or his staff haven’t quoted any tripe or utter guff such as parsnip and charver..

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM

He was left out of the Psv squad for there friendly today

• Belfast

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Has he even returned to training yet ? Most international players don’t come back until later than the rest.

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM

lets assume they do bring in Winjadlum. if hes replacing sissoko and costs 15M, what does sissokos valuation? i cant imagine we would bring in a replacement that cost more than the player being sold? that is NOT the MIke ashley way. why do all article have arbitrary valuations and all the article about liverpool taking sisoka have none?

• croftus5678

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM

@17 taco

well if its true that liverpool want him we will prob get 100mil for sissoko 😉

doesnt really matter tbh as sissoko money will not be re-spent but i do think wijnaldum is a better more effective player tbh.

• Reyantoon

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM

OP – we signed him because he is the type of player who is gona accept being a sub player.U can’t keep top players in the bench every time.Every club must have back up type player
    unless your club is super rich.
    I never noticed colback made costly errors or freekicks that led us to lose games.He hardly make mistakes.He received the amount of yellow cards u mentioned because he made valuable tackles and successful physical battle.
    And i don’t want to get in to pardew is clueless or carver was inept thing but i just wanna say wait and see how important they both are for the team when the season starts.

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Not sure Belfast, with the way it’s being mentioned I’d assumed he was back.

My ass umption

• will die for the toon army

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Sky jst decides to kill my night

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:01 PM

croftus5678

i agree he would be an upgrade of sisoko and i would be happy to see that move, but isnt that a luxury at this point? how many tranfer windows n a row has this team needed to bring in a top quality CB???? its sickening at this point.

speaking of CB, anyone think this is any chance of jamal starting as CB?

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Reyna

Colback came because he wanted 1st team, he’d already said he was sick of being on the bench or at LB for the mackems. I doubt highly he’d be happy sat on our bench or he had it in mind when he signed.

I’ll watch, but don’t hold your breath if you’re expecting them to be a valuable part of the side.

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Interesting year for tv coverage. With Sky and BT slugging it out for four of our games from the off. Gives everyone a chance to see if it’s worth buying a ticket or not;)

• beermonkey

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

prime

I am expecting tiote to be sold

where do u think McLaren will use anita

• Reyantoon

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Anyway i’m off.Dinner time for me and some drinks.Will Catch you another day..

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Mind I am starting to warm a bit to this coaching setup. Not so much of the fanciful romanticism and a bit more of the drive and dynamism of a crew that wants to make a mark in the right place and the right time. Hopefully not the skid marks we’ve had before.

• albertluque92

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:12 PM

so the chronicle must be making things up, sums up the past month quite well

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Op it’s all right him wanting a first team spot but imo, handy as he is, he should be back up for a better player. If he dont like it, improve or move.

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I suppose that is a good point check makes, I’m as guilty as anyone, except Belfast of course, of finger tapping impatience at the lack of transfer news, but I’d be boiling mad by now at Pardew’s vacuous claptrap. Count our blessings I suppose.

I just want to see some signings so we can bitch and moan about what team and how useless it is ha ha

• Graeme

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Sky sports transfer centre:

Despite paper talk of Newcastle being close to a deal with Wijnaldum, Sky sources understand there has been no contact between Newcastle and the Dutch club!!

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Beer

If he plays 433 Anita will be one of the three in midfield.

In his 3 man midfield it’s usually two all rounders and a AM. IMO Anita suits the all rounder sort of role more than Colback. Anita is more aware of his role and how to play it.

You don’t need a DM if you have proper midfield players. Without any signings the midfield 3 against Gateshead will be Abeid SDJ Anita.

Anita always gets a bum rap, wrongly IMO.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Being a team with no ambition is a bad thing. Spurs has jst bought Tony Alder for jst £11.5m thats cheap.

• Novocastrian66

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM

According to the Telegraph, Wijnaldum has been left out of PSV’s squad For a pre season friendly.

• optimistic prime

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Tsunki

I couldn’t understand why we signed him and still don’t. I fail to see what he brought to the squad never mind first team.

Was he meant to be the Cabaye replacement 😉

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM

I actually bought into Anita being a bit of an air bubble at one point but the west ham game showed when he was allowed to take on a proper role he grabbed it by the clackers. Only the fact Jonas popped the killer in overshadowed a MoM performance by Anita that day. I really hope McLaren is the guy to finally slot him into the jigsaw. He’ll be like a new signing!

• will die for the toon army

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM

F@ck u sky sports that has jst killed me. Over and Over and Over.

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Op ha ha ha hang on I’ve got to firmly hold my sides ha ha oh dear Cabaye replacement 😀

• Tsunki

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Ha don’t be so quick to believe sky sports. Where’s your optimism? Oh. I see.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Novocastrian66

Guy had internationals so may b he is still on holiday.

1 2 3 5