The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Crystal Palace Reported In Big Move For Charlie Austin

10:34 pm, Wednesday, July 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 89 Comments

The news coming in from various sources in London tonight is that Crystal Palace, having all but wrapped up a £13M deal for former Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye from PSG, are now moving fast to try to sign QPR striker Charlie Austin, who is Newcastle’s main target this summer.

Charlie austin _3147013b

Charlie Austin – Palace make move for striker

There are a host of clubs who have been after Charlie – who only just returned back from his honeymoon last weekend and things are expected to heat up for his signature this week.

Clubs interested in the striker include Newcastle, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Brom, West Ham and Leicester City.

Leicester are the only club to have bid for Charlie so far, and their £12M bid was immediately turned down by QPR Director of Football (Sir) Les Ferdinand – who wants (and will get) £15M for Charlie.

We would expect Palace to bid very close to the £15M being asked for,  and if  the bid’s accepted they will get the first shot at trying to close a deal with Charlie and his representatives.

There was news in the Mirror yesterday that Charlie is holding out for a bid from Newcastle, but whether there’s any truth in that – we don’t know.

Crystal Palace’s odds on them signing Austin have been dramatically cut to 3/1 on SkyBet with Newcastle still favorites at evens.

Bournemouth are third favorites at 6/1,  but the south cost club are distancing themselves from being able to buy a £15M striker with the finances they have at the moment.

Alan Pardew’s new club is certainly ambitious in this window, and they seem to have plenty of money to spend – which is one reason Alan left Newcastle for the London club in early January.

Where’s Newcastle’s bid for Austin?

Tags: Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

89 responses so far ↓

• 1 toon22 // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Imho most people have stoped caring.

It will be the same old shite till the fat man is gone.

• 2 NOVA2967 // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM

———-Austin
    Bolasie—————Zaha
    ————Cabeye
    —–Jednick———Mccarthur

Decent little team that… Dann shoring up the backline and Austin with infinite supply from the wings and CM.

• 3 check the toastie // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Stay darn sarf for me, overrated lump, sooner money spent elsewhere, flash in the pan plus unfit I reckon..

Sooner have some Bellamy type pace up front…

• 4 JP...from The Rock // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Lucky Pards in having a ambitous chairman that likes to spend the cash when needed. 15m for Cabaye and now 15m for Austin shows real intent. They keep this going they will have a formidable team.

• 5 NOVA2967 // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Cant even try and name a NUFC team right now… Just all number 10’s and no deep lying passer

• 6 Our Toon // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Please take him pards…..he’ll work wonders for you on the Right Wing

• 7 check the toastie // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Nova- you forget pardew is manager, they will be awful to watch, unless you like teams who give up possession and generally defend and hope to hit teams on the counter. Awful manager and football philosophy.

Total Fraud.

• 8 Lindisfarne // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Our Toon

Shouldn’t that be left wing?

• 9 Our Toon // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

I hope Palace keep spending like this, I bet 50 quid on pards getting the sack or palace getting relegated this season coming….got odds of 65/1, the money he spends and if as he always does and goes in an epic losing streak the palace owner will get rid of him especially after the money he’s spent…..This isn’t Ashley he won’t accept record breaking losing runs

• 10 Lindisfarne // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Our Toon

Scrap that –

Shouldn’t that be left back?

• 11 Our Toon // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Lindisfarne

I can never quite get it right can I buddy? Hey he might surprise us all and have him occupy Santon’s best position of Defensive Midfielder

• 12 Lindisfarne // Jul 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Alan Pardew the Footballing Experimental Scientist / Window Cleaner

• 13 Munster Mag // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Our Toon, fair play if you have backed the courage of your convictions. I can see Pardew annoying blokes but there was little wrong that most observers cud see with Palace once he took over and barely known strikers started scoring and their wingers murdered teams. If Steve has us doing that for the first ten games I guess we’ll all think he’s good and rightly so. If Austin goes there i will be surprised but Palace are clearly punching well above their weight in both the league and the transfer market, if they get a talent like Cabaye. I really hope not, and is Austin goes to Pardew I wont be happy . santon a defensive midfielder – that may have been due to injuries. Bet he cudnt play left back or right back and was an uninspired choice by our genius scout Carr.

• 14 WLtoon // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Take note at the ambition Palace are showing ,Ashley, you fat greedy twat.

• 15 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Another sloowwwww day. I’m all for being patient but they’re beginning to take the biscuit here mind.

• 16 Blofal // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM

We are supposed to be able to “punch above our weight” financially now according to Ashley.

So why is it that Crystal Palace seems to have just as much money, (possibly even more) than us?

• 17 beermonkey // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM

it was said on here that wijnaldium sought some assurances over his role and dejong does any1 know if this is right and what those assurances were

• 18 Blofal // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Beermonkey

From what I’ve read he wanted assurances that he wouldn’t be competing with Siem De Jong for a place in the first team because Siem plays in the same position.

He was told that both him and Siem would be playing in the same team.

That gives us a bit of an idea of how McClaren will setup. 2 attacking midfielders behind a striker by the looks.

• 19 Munster Mag // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM

I do believe we are beginning to move now and think we will get some quality, soon. For some reason Charnley to me looks like a geeza who can get a deal done , but probably badly hamstrung by Ashley in terms of budget, or is on commission to get players at discounts. At least Jo Kinnear isnt around, or knackers like Charva. Jesus, I have defended Pardew against outright criticism ( and yes he deserved lots of criticism, the smug sod ) but my God, there was no defending Charva, You’d miss his pronouncements though 🙂

• 20 beermonkey // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:28 PM

blofal

cheers
    I know wijnaldium can play on the wing as well
    we could also push deong into the no9 role as he has played there before

• 21 Our Toon // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Munster

Nope we didn’t have injuries etc, it was chelsea away and pards thought he’d outclass mourinho with the inspired decision to play Santon as DM.

The bet I put on was last season after palace beat citeh at home….anyway enough of the inept one….HTF

• 22 Bri // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:32 PM

We have the money but fatty doesn’t want to spend it.
    Will we actually get these players over the line?, i for one won’t hold my breath knowing the way he works.

• 23 Thump // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Austin, Mitrovic, Wijnalkjdsfsdfum would be fantastic.

On a side note, how do you even pronounce his fscking name?! Wiy-nal-dum?

• 24 John Tudor // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:40 PM

roll up roll up
    all aboard the big CON bus
    roll up suckas

• 25 Munster Mag // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Our Toon, in fairness I didnt know that – unlike me as an NUFC nut. Mind u, what anyone saw in Santon was beyond me. He looked good on the ball, nice balance, decent shprt passer, good control . But that was it. Rank defender. Hated tackling. Didnt get close enough to wingers. Terrible spatial awreness. Poor in the air.

• 26 Munster Mag // Jul 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM

If we get as few as three decent players we might be quite tidy next season. If we get 4 or 5 and get the defence working ( I think there is still ability left in Colo with a leader beside him ) , we could chase the top 7.

• 27 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Munster

Agree on Santon. When we played the mackems, Johnson took him to the cleaners.

• 28 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Munster

Are you in Munster in Germany?

Do you know the town of Legden?

I have to be there in September. Where is the nearest international airport?

• 29 Munster Mag // Jul 9, 2015 at 12:34 AM

No Expat, I am in Limerick – home of Munster rugby. Come on Munster !!! 🙂

• 30 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 9, 2015 at 12:39 AM

Imagine 4231 or 433 formation.

DM – Tioti/calback/anita/abeid
    RW – Wijnaldum/cabella/perez (no space for obertan)
    AMC – wijnaldum/de jong/cabella (not sure if Marveaux is coming back
    LW – cabella/aarons/perez
    ST – Mitrovic/cisse/Riviere/perez/arma

I like the looks of this team

Janmaat – colo – dummet – haidara
    Colback
    Cabella – wijnaldum – de jong – aarons
    Mitrovic

Only weakness would be colo. One more defender needed

• 31 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Shadow Shearer

There is only one problem there.

We havent signed Wijnaldum or Mitrovic yet and until I see confirmation of them standing in SJP holding up NUFC tops with their names on the back, I wont be convinced.

I have no faith in our board to get quality players over that imaginary line and fully expect these lads to sign for the likes of Everton and Roma whilst we settle for 3rd class non entities, if at all.

• 32 Sydney Toon // Jul 9, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Expat – On Santon, he was Pardewed and Carver didnt want a bar of him. Watched him play for Inter late last season and looked free and was enjoying his football again, such a shame because he had the makings of a fine acquisition.

So if we put all the media reports together, it appears we have a pretty clear shortlist of players right now:

Wijnnaldum
    Mitrovic
    Austin
    Thauvin
    Matip

So I foresee that De Jong, with his injuries recently is likely to move back to CM, therefore allowing Wijnnaldum to move to the 10 role. Sissoko likely to be on the right and Thauvin on the left. I think Austin will stay in London and is holding out for the best financial deal for himself. Therefore we have moved for Mitrovic.

In terms of players heading out, this will be determined by MaClaren and his staff over the pre-season tour. I foresee Obertan, Ferguson and Gouffran heading out the door. I have a gut feeling that Marveaux will impress and will earn a squad place.

So if we put the team together (4231)
    Krul
    Janmaat
    Matip
    Coloccini
    Haidara

Tiote
    De Jong

Thauvin
    Wijnnaldum
    Sissoko

Mitrovic

Subs: Darlow, Taylor, Anita, Colback, Cabella, Ayoze, Aarons

Squad: Woodman, Lascalles, Dummett, Satka, Armstrong, Kemen, Ameobi, Marveaux, Vuckic, Heardman, Roberts

So looking at our squad, we have 2 issues, no cover for Janmaat and where does Cisse end up??

• 33 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Sydney

From your list of 5

Wijnaldum…….Everton bound
    Thauvin…….already stated he is staying at Marseiile
    Austin…..doesnt want to move to us
    Mitrovic….Roma bound
    Matip…new manager at Schalke wants him to stay.

• 34 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Sydney,

Looks good, but what about Abeid?

You also have 3 over-21 spots on the roster not filled, and Elliott, Good, and Bigirimani need to be put on the roster or shipped out. I’d probably keep Abeid (who I think is ok in a squad role) and Elliott (for insurance and home grown player purposes). Use the last spot on a fullback who is less likely to break than Haidara. I wouldn’t hate keeping Cisse but if it is at the expense of Ameobi or Vuckic’s roster spot (which it probably would be) then I think we are going to have some real problems with the home grown player rule.

• 35 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:17 AM

Expat

Wijnnaldum…transfer betting suspended
    Austin…even odds going to Newcastle

Always be skeptical but never underestimate the knowledge of the bookies.

• 36 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:25 AM

Born

Past experiences with this mob in charge usually leads to disappointment. Anyone decent signed would be a huge bonus.

SYDNEY

you forgot about Riviere.

• 37 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:28 AM

TUFF

If you are still up mate, looks like the ogres are coming to get you…. ..lol

Be scared. Be VERY scared.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:42 AM

expat – who are the ogres.

• 39 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:44 AM

Your pardew loving pals

They have your card marked mate

• 40 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:45 AM

Expat

Agreed, this level of signings should have been done last summer. It does seem that they have done everything to sign Austin, and if he doesn’t come, it will be because of something personal on his end. If they are going after Mitrovic as a plan B, that is great but it will be a tough fight and they will probably have to pay more than they would have for Austin.

Optimistic expectation – Austin/Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, and Matip or other quality young centre back

Really optimistic – That plus a proven leftback that doesn’t break (Erik Pieters makes a lot of sense) and a quality winger who doesn’t run around like a headless chicken.

• 41 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:49 AM

Expat

Dortmund is the closest but I’m not sure if it flies to oz as it’s only a minor international airport, I was posted close to there many moons ago.

• 42 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:49 AM

If we get one of Austin or Mitrovic, and one of Marveux or Cisse had to go, who would you choose? I guess the other way to ask is, would you rather have a deeper Cup run or beat Chelsea once a year.

• 43 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:50 AM

Palace have a strong team. Pardew made a excellent choice to move to a ambitious club.

• 44 mactoon // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:53 AM

Newcastles main transfer target… that we haven’t even put a bid in for?

• 45 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 1:57 AM

Op

Thanks mate. Looks like the nearest international airport us Amsterdam so I will fly in from Newcastle and out to Dubai.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 2:05 AM

expat – aye there’s a few of the beggars about. A quick reference to the pro Percy Brigade and the Legion of Dishonor usually flushes the beggars out. I am still surprised that people think he was a good manager – where I believe the majority probably thought he wasn’t. But it is down to opinions.
    At that I’m going to hit the hay. Must be good news tomorrow surely.

• 47 King Colback // Jul 9, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Well I’ll be damned we are 8/1 3rd favourites to sign Joey Barton

• 48 Magpie Season // Jul 9, 2015 at 2:21 AM

King Colback,

I wouldn’t mind that if it was with reduced wages. He is on 80k isn’t he. Doubt he will take a wage cut or we will pay him those wages.

• 49 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 2:25 AM

My favorite is Balotelli is 16/1 to sign with the Inter Milan. The same team whose fans almost attacked him. I think they just use a player’s old team when they have run out of ideas for long shot teams to link to.

• 50 Magpie Season // Jul 9, 2015 at 2:35 AM

All bets suspended for Yohan Cabaye to Palace.

12.5mil fee agreed & 100k wage.

Anyone have a spare hat for me to eat?

• 51 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 2:45 AM

100K sterling per week? Somehow that doesn’t even seem that excessive. How much was he on at PSG?

• 52 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2015 at 3:20 AM

Cabaye…..does anyone actually give a s***? He was a mediocre player at best who got his move by going on strike, ironic isn’t it he refused to play to get his dream move and the club he joined sat him on the bench as he wasn’t good enough. As for his 100k a week deal at palace, well done cabaye.

He’s getting a pay rise and he’s leaving a country where he pays 75% of his wage to tax, and top tax rate in UK is 40%. That’s enough on cabaye though!! Ba is in China, he did more for us than cabaye….good riddance!!

• 53 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 3:32 AM

Our toon

Agreed. We all know his interest is getting enough playing time ro get in the euros with France.

• 54 emphraser // Jul 9, 2015 at 3:34 AM

With the increased power Carr now has it seems odd he’d want to spend £15m on a player he didn’t push for when he was younger and much, much cheaper. If he didn’t fancy him then, why now? One year? Doesn’t seem his style. Think the bloggers have a meal of it, don’t think the interest is actually there. And good thing too I reckon.

• 55 BandB // Jul 9, 2015 at 3:52 AM

Well, I wonder which unverifiable process the club’s propaganda machine will have us “in the lead” of today?
    Will we have won the World Cup?
    Invented a cure for HIV and cancer?
    Landed a man on Mars?
    We are the North Korea of the football world.

• 56 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 4:15 AM

BandB, you’re not being ambitious enough. It’s gonna be that Mike Ashley has gotten skinny and stopped gambling, and all that extra cash is going to transfers to fulfill “the ambitions of this great club to finish in the top eight next year.”

• 57 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 4:20 AM

Also, as a great admirer of North Korean culture (we’re called “kimchidenordophiles”) I find your post offensive.

• 58 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 4:23 AM

Band

Well, we do have a despot in charge

• 59 Bornandraised // Jul 9, 2015 at 4:50 AM

Expat, I think you are on the wrong team’s forum. The bandwagons for PSG and Man City are elsewhere.

We have an owner. He might call himself the King of Track Suits, but that is just for the ladies.

• 60 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 5:41 AM

Born

You would never have guessed it

• 61 Toonfan8 // Jul 9, 2015 at 6:33 AM

I dont like Rob Lee comments — yes 3-4 players with EPL experience for same amount like Wijnaldum,Mitrovic,Matip ….about 34M…so basically he wants Austin 15 and Townsend 15 and thats it…Scot Dann linked for another 15…and I think I know which are better…

• 62 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 6:34 AM

The futures bright, the futures oranje.

Oh wait it’s just the sun burning through the back of my eyelids.

• 63 nut meg // Jul 9, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Anybody paying 15m for Townsend should be sacked on the spot. Style over substance….like many others.

• 64 check the toastie // Jul 9, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Rob Lee talks utter guff.
    Looking forward to another day of nothing happening at NUFC…

• 65 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 6:55 AM

Morning!

I see nothing has happened! Not that I thought it had…

Why are some on here reluctant to admit Pardew was the worse kind of manager for Newcastle? If one just watched the football instead of just blindly supporting it it would be as clear as daylight!

Probably the worse 4 years of my support of this club…granted there was some rough patches under JFK-gate!

…but that just didn’t make sense!

• 66 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:07 AM

I can see Ameobi is off to Cardiff…I fear he won’t even be able to hold down a regular starting place there!

• 67 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:13 AM

About Cabaye…I don’t ser anyone else bidding for him and certainly not us!

He was great here the first time and he would never be able to recreate that. He comes to Palace ad their star player and that id how other clubs / players will be looking at him as well!

…can he handle that? it’s not like the PSG move has done him any favors.

• 68 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:14 AM

*ser = see

• 69 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:18 AM

The most expensive signings of the Ashley era, worth a laugh, sorry worth a look.

• 70 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:19 AM

Jesper

I think 95% of posters agree that Pardew and Co.were deplorable and the football they displayed in recent seasons has been laughable.

I remember the bad run last season and in particular, everyone trying to second guess and lip read what Ashley was saying to Charnley in the directors box as he rushed away after another inept performance.

In hindsight, we should be thankful for Crystal Palace and a relegation fight under Carver or else we would be starting this season with the same old useless bunch of twats.

• 71 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:19 AM

Still nout sealed then?

Atleast today we should know what is happening with the dutch kid wijnaldum, if he dosn’t jet off with PSV to Switzerland today he will be leaving for either us or Everton I would of thought.

Still reckon this is to replace an outgoing player like, but hope im wrong. It’s more quality we need, replacing like for like won’t strengthen the squad.

Im actually in agreement with Rob Lee, if you had the chance to read his write up, i’d like to see some players brought in who are proven in this League. 4 players like this and I’d be over the moon. Couple of foreign.

Hoping for a breakthrough today. Like Groundhog day this!

• 72 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Op

You were right first time

• 73 nut meg // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Jesper
    When Cabaye came to us he was a 4/5m signing so I don’t think there was too much pressure on him to set the place on fire. At CP he’s a big big 12/13m ? signing getting 100k a week the expectations are on him to perform from the onset.Time will tell but really I don’t care as I think we’ve probably seen the best of him anyway.

• 74 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:26 AM

TP

The thing is about Rob Lee is his never ending criticism. I know there hasnt been much to shout about but the loss of Pardew, the removal of Carver and the appointment of McLaren and coaches are pointers in the right direction.

As Lee has never been courageous enough to take on a coaching or management role, I feel he is unqualified to be critical.

• 75 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Jesper

The 5th place finish allowed a few fans to forgive him anything, even though he was never in any danger of repeating it.

• 76 SuperShearer // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:35 AM

@ExPat, isn’t that what we all do though? None of us on hear have any coaching experience, that I’m aware of, and yet we are critical of the coaching of the club in the last few years. Lee just has a wider audience that listen to him than us and, like us, is a fan who wants to see the club move in the right direction. I am sure Ashley doesn’t care but the more people making the same noises about the way he runs the club can only be a good thing.

• 77 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:37 AM

After Cabaye left us to follow the money and CL football he spent most of his time on the bench.

He is no world class player by any stretch of the imagination but he is a good player.

I think he will be a thorn in the side for many teams this season, he has a lot to prove to himself, and he wants to get back into the French national squad so I think we will see a lot from him.

This signing will be a major coup for Palace, the only downside for their fans is having the inept one as manager, things always look rosie under Pardew at the start, but as we are well aware they can go t1t’s up very quickly.

• 78 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Jesper

The same fans also made any excuse for him. In the euro season they blaimed us playing in Europe and not strengthening as a reason for poor league form.

What they conviently forget is he played kids all the way to the quarters and used very few first team players. What cost us was poor squad management.

• 79 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM

I wonder if Cabayes time at PSG taught him how to beat the first man from a free kick or corner.

• 80 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Get the feeling that Pardew be trying to rub our faces in it/making a point by signing players we are suppose to be after for all the grief the fans and Ashley give him. If so he is a sad little man

• 81 Reyantoon // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Things look a bit positive lately,re signings.I have a feeling we’ll land wijnaldum because no other bigger or richer club,like zenite,seriously interested in him so far.unless there is a late setbacks,he is ours,today or tomorrow.
    Also,happy about possible mitrovic arrival today to discuss.I guess Roma turned to Dzeko.If we can get these two in a few days,we will have promising season.Let’s keep our faith tight and hopefull about it!!

• 82 JamesToon // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Echo: Wijnaldum not expected to travel with Psv for their pre season

• 83 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Expat,

It’s all just peoples outlooks at the end of the day and opinions. We either agree or disagree. I think he has just about got it bang on me like. We should be looking at building on what we have with quality amd experience not continuing the way we have been by looking at what we could potentially make from a deal. Even this dutch kid is not a priority position for us.

Austin or Mitrovic should of been through the door by now for me.

Either they back the coach or it will just be exactly the same like under Pardew and Carver. For me, it’s the lack of quality throughout the squad once we suffer injuries amd that is down to not building on what we have amd selling and not bringing quality experienced players in. This is what leads to the bad runs not the coach for me.

I’v always thought you need 18-20 experienced pro’s at a club for this level, sadly under Ashley he has never looked like giving us it. Too many foreign and inexperienced players at once, settling in, selling them for profit.

It’s all dandy if we have a good light injury free season like when we finished 5th. But, we are jinxed with injuries at the Toon. We always suffer and go on bad runs because of the lack of quality and inexperience in the squad with injuries.

Off for breakfast, I’ll pop back later on.

Fingers crossed for today!

• 84 expatmag // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:52 AM

SuperShearer

I wouldnt like to comment who is or who isnt a qualified coach on here. I can only say that I am.

However, I think the majority on here are knowledgeable enough to recognise the absolute rubbish fans have had to watch in recent seasons where the absolute base techniques involved in passing movement pressure and marking had been totally ignored evidenced by the crap produced in matches.

• 85 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Expat

I have a Psv licence and can drive a coach, does that count?

• 86 toonincheek // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM

OP –
    Precisely – the kids played most of the games.

Plus – the squad wasn’t strengthened mainly because it was expected that some of the kids, after getting the chances we had been clamouring for, would step up.
    Unfortunately, they didn’t.

• 87 sing in the corner // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:58 AM

We continue to appear to take far too long sealing the deals. Its a high risk strategy, we’re asking for the bigger more attractive clubs to notice and trump our ‘bids’. Thats if we are actually serious about recruiting or just giving the illusion of interest. Its a big few days nor Mr Charnley, but Mitrovic is widely accepted as a better option than Charlie. I’d be satisfied, if not thrilled, with him, Wij, and a decent Centre Half. For now. Then over to yoe SM…

• 88 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Toonicheck

I see it more as Pardew had no clue how to rotate a squad, instead of playing the odd one here and there they were all dumped in the deep end.

The season we finished 5th we used the least amount of players in the league, why not blood the odd one here and there?

The stop start nature of the league and euro games must have been a nightmare, imagine grafting your socks off to get 5th and Europe then to not get a game.

The first team players probably looked and thought why bother trying for Europe we aren’t going to play. The way Pardew dealt with the squad had as much or more affect than not strengthening.

If the squad was managed properley it would never have suffered like it did.
    Dropping a first teamer and giving someone a chance would have kept the squad on it’s toes, instead Pardew treat the squad like two different teams.

• 89 toonincheek // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:39 AM

OP – Yeah, maybe. Generally agree.

previous post: Report – Newcastle Agree €16M Fee For Aleksandar Mitrovic