The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Still Planning To Spend Big Money This Summer

10:36 pm, Thursday, July 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 146 Comments

Newcastle head coach McClaren says that the club are very close to getting a couple of good signings in,  and McClaren has said they explained to Mike Ashley what they want to do this summer, and it seems Mike has given them the money and told the Board to basically get on with it.

So it does look like the four man Newcastle Board is completely responsible for the transfers this summer, now that Mike Ashley has given them the money,  and is no longer part of the Board and hopefully keeping himself out of the football decisions at the club.

steve mcclaren training

Steve McClaren – on the training pitch

The Express is reporting tonight the amount of funds is £60M – and we assume that’s a net amount because if we do bring good players in then some other players will be sold – players like Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor to name three.

Steve opened the training on Thursday to the media,  and it looks like that has gone very well the journalists, with the head coach giving a number of interviews today and seeming to be very open with the information he gave out.

This is what Steve said today – specifically about the transfers and even the longer term strategy:

“We’re close. We are working very hard behind the scenes. When you buy players for £0-5M there are loads of them and in that respect Newcastle would be top of the tree.”

“From £5M-£10M still a lot of them and we would be right up there competing with that group – and there are a lot of players in that group. But when you go above that and look for a caliber of player to improve what we’ve got and to achieve our objectives, that makes a huge difference.”

“When you go to £10M plus – and there is a lot of speculation about that level of player at the moment – they are Europa League and Champions League players at top clubs. There aren’t so many players in that bracket, so the competition is higher.”

“It is more difficult to recognize their availability and get things done. The process is going on and, believe you me, there is a massive willingness from the club to spend, but not spend foolishly.”

“We are also looking for good value, but everyone in football is still looking for good value for money and for talent – and that is what we are doing.”  “I looked at the plan when I first came in and looked at the caliber of players and said ‘wow’.”

“We have expressed our objectives, and put it on the line and now we have to fulfill that. That’s what Mike Ashley has done and he said ‘go on fulfill it’.   So we have to get the right ones in  to improve this group.”

“We have talked a lot about the next three windows being huge, massive, for us. But let’s make sure we get the right ones.¨ “If we get them, then in a year’s time – after the third window – we should have a damn good team and squad on a different level to where we are now.”

“That is purely because we are looking at players above a certain bracket.”

Every club wants to get value for money and in the past Newcastle have overdone that .

But it’s not worth bringing players in just for the sake of it,  and it would be daft to spend money just for spending’s sake – that’s simply a waste of funds.

Newcastle still have the basis of a good squad,  and if we can get say five (very) good players in this summer, we could even have a good squad next season.

That’s our hope and we haven’t given up on that yet.

146 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Moonshine isn’t bad, gets you quite wrecked.

I went to British Columbia twenty years ago and through a mate met a old biker who’d been hit by a truck.

He used his compo to buy a farm were he grew weed and brewed moonshine.

Great week

• 2 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Moonshine out! Buckfast in!

• 3 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:43 PM

McClaren talks the talk, He’s starting to grow on me. I hope he is right, we will buy in the next three windows to create a great team, ship out the trash, and then look to win something.

But and it’s a big but… He has to trust Charnley to get the deals done, my confidence is lowered.

• 4 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM

and you hear such horror stories of people wasting there compo

• 5 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Get some of the captains broth =

Buckfast + Red Bull + Vodka all in a pint !! BOOM !!!

• 6 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Reading this you’d be optimistic like, but then you remember the other false dawns and you snap out of it.

• 7 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM

If there was any doubt as to who is who on here -Jib has slipped up.
    I missed it but Average spotted it :-

Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    “…..Jeff don’t post any more of your Google translate Dutch please.”

Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM
    Tsunki don’t tell me what to do thankyou
    I know you and a few others (the text gang – ha ha ha ) think you own the site.But ya divvent.
    You no likee You no readee

So Tsunki directs his post to Jeff and Jib replies.
    What a knacker
    Wat een vilder.

Another blog classic – still not as good as the unforgetable Ian Toon blunder -sending posts to himself.
    You couldnt make it up.

• 8 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM

If we are signing 4 players who are they ?

Matip possibly
    Wijnaldum hopefully !
    Mitrovic hopefully !

Personally would love to see us sign a top drawer left back or defensive midfielder if we are going to only sign 4

then get loans for one or 2 other players such as Lingard and Van Ginkel

Then ship out Obertan , Gouffran , Saylor and Williamson on loan

• 9 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:47 PM

I know, sickening.

His place was unreal, no neighbours for miles. Sat on his porch on one of those hanging swing chairs getting pie eyed.

It was a haze but a great time

• 10 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

McLaren isn’t dumb and must have gotten certain assurances
    all I see is another keegan incident happening

• 11 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Mr T – well done! Just came back in to post that very thing ha ha, yes Jeff has indeed confirmed he and jib are one and the same. Another slip up by the Google Einstein!

As BandB would probably say –
    ” beep beep”!

• 12 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Aye I quite like McClaren to be honest. He seems genuine at least. You always had an inkling Pardew was making it up as he went along. He liked a good fib did Alan.

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:51 PM

As someone I knew used to say, to be a good liar you have to have a damn good memory 🙂

• 14 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM

I agree, I think if nothing happens as promised McClaren will be gone that’s for sure. I cannot see him putting up with the sh1t the club is use to throwing about.

He wants to do the right things for the players and the fans, the club on the other hand just don’t give a fcuk about either.

• 15 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:56 PM

McClaren is? Carr and Charnley maybe.

If the squad isn’t boosted to 18-20 Experienced pro’s nout will change. Too many not good enough to step in to cover the 1st eleven with the injuries we sustain.

On Austin:

Bad news.. Stalling as all the top players are being taken?

Makes me think they wanted this with leaving it so long..

Have they expected all the top boys to be taken by now so they can dip into the 2nd and 3rd raters in the realms of 6-8 mil as usual. With the money we have in the bank? How much has Pardew had to spend since January? Something seriously wrong here. PALACE?

It’s all talk and leaks, no action. It’s been a while for a while?

Same as usual.

Im down, but would love to be surprised.

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Well I’m really happy for you lot drinking petrol for your funnies but I prefer the more refined route of the single male that’s the genuine article there folks none of your varnish remover.

Current bargains to be had from Tesco, get your Auchentoshan American oak or Laphroaig Special for a measly £25. Mmmmmmm. You saw that here.

• 17 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM

You know, I did that before.. get your single male….that doesn’t look good on my CV. Single malt I meant. My phone has gender issues, not me.

• 18 bobby mango // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Problem is we act so slow all the good value is gone by the time we make an offer.

They’ve had months to assess the squad and finalise targets. Steve is the only one who’s not been around that time but he only makes quarter of the board.

I like mcclaren but this is all talk. We need to see some actual signings

• 19 mickalfas // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:01 PM

SM needs to bitchslap that baldy headed fcuking weasel ,get the players in now ffs!

• 20 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:02 PM

never liked weed, I do have long distinguished drinking career though

the club could do a lot worse than listen to McLaren he could give them the ground work for what they want
    if there honest over finances as well I am sure he would be ok with it

wijnaldum if he cost 15 mill in 2 3 seasons we could double that
    and could well be the same for the other 2 we are linked with I don’t see why we aint laying out the red carpet to get them

• 21 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Hopefully all these words will turn into actions, & hopefully once one or two are over the line the rest will be more keen to follow. I hope Sissoko isn’t sold. I don’t think he would be missed on the pitch in the same way Cabaye has been, but he is still one of the better players & selling him would put a dampner on what could be a good transfer window, regardless of who comes in. Here’s to hoping.

• 22 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Sorry if it has been posted before.

This site claims to stream all our PS friendlies.

We shall see.

• 23 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:05 PM

One of the big problems the squad has had is the ‘purples’ idea made an elite first team pick that discouraged anyone trying to break through. No matter how hard a non-purple tried, he couldn’t permanently displace a purple. it’s an absolutely moronic concept that can only be dreamt up by a moronic bean counter who has never played a sport in his life, thanks Derek. No competition for places. Inbuilt complacency. Lack of motivation. Inevitable degradation of results over a long period. Add one Pardew, a dash of carver and you have the relegation bound cocktail of death. Please say we’ve abandoned the Purples idea.

• 24 Thump // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:06 PM

“When I first came in and looked at the players I thought ‘Wow, Williamson is 1st choice CB? Fsck me, he’s on the thieve.‘”

• 25 mickalfas // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:07 PM

If Willo is a purple ,god help us!

• 26 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:07 PM

that cracked me up do u like ice with ur single male

its not all varnish remover I am very partial to brandy a nice remy martin, cant stand whisky though don’t know why just never liked it

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Jeff you checked out averages and Mr T’s posts tonight?

You know that precariously perched boulder that stays perched even when you pull the stick out that’s holding it up? Well, don’t go under it to see why. Trust me on this. 🙂

• 28 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Single males, brown envelopes in dark carparks. This picture you’re painting isn’t that great Skunki.

You sound like bad news.

• 29 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Beer monkey no ice with my single male ha ha I’m cool already.

Btw I know why you’ve never liked it, it’s simply that you’re an uncultured swine ha ha. Seriously though, nobody likes whisky if their initiation is a shot of white house or famous grouse. If you learn to drink it right, like you do your nice cognac, you’ll soon learn to love and Ardbeg Uigeadail 🙂 expensive hobby though I admit.

• 30 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Belfast yeah but you’re intrigued, right…..

• 31 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:17 PM

What’s a white house whisky? Danged if I know.

• 32 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM

jib/jeff – don’t know how yu’ve got the gall/brassneck to return – you’ve been outed by your own stupidity -despite bragging how clever you were yesterday.
    Well it would appear not clever enough.
    Get yourself away to the Ladies Wrestling Forum now and do us all a favour.

Wat een vilder.
    Treble whammy!!! -get in. You dope.Duh.

• 33 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM

my dad is a collector of single malts I have tried allsorts not found one I didn’t wanna put coke it in it to make it nice 🙂 he has given up on me now and don’t even bother offering it to me
    ur not wrong though I am an uncultured swine

• 34 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM

I think he’s starting to sound more and more like Pardew!

I am not really sure if McClaren as his predecessors cannot see that what they preach means nothing when taking in to account where we have been and seeing as we are going nowhere!

They are just feeding us lines, but as I have stated before I won’t act!

• 35 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM

I hope McClaren is right in what he knows about upstairs, because this all seems like deja vu from when Pardew was appointed to me.

Crying out for this and that and being given something else, basically having to get on with it.

I need a CB or a striker well there is a CM. get on with it.

Oh, we need to replace this player no doubt, eh no, here is 5 french players, they don’t speak English but you better keep us up.

We will never sell this player, we will, get on with it and you won’t have a back up either. Make do.

By the way, they were brought forward these signings, get on with it.

Nevermind injuries or settling in times. Just keep us in the league and do the best you can. Bring the coin in and stay in the league. That’s the 5 yr plan.

I hope this board is alot better than the last.

I hope McClaren is either lucky with injuries or knows this board aswell as he is talking otherwise this club will ruin him even further.

There was only one man for this job, a man desperate for a crack at the Prem again, just like Pards.

Let’s hope they back you Steve.

• 36 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Beer monkey my word if you’d said lemonade you’d probably stand a chance but coke? You’re a lost cause son 😀

• 37 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Yeah Mclaren does talk a good game but wonder what would happen if the club decided to sell Sissoko and or Cisse in August and we dont have adequate replacements?Or if we are near 40 points at christmas do they decide to have another fire sale with no replacements?

I shudder when I remember Carver saying he told Charnley not to sell Cisse in January

• 38 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Skunki…we want nothing to do with your single male!

• 39 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Jeff hoists Google anvil high on system of ropes and pulleys and lies in wait to release it on the unwary poster as he goes by. Poster flies past, rope releases, anvil stays in air. Jeff goes to check. Stands underneath anvil, prodding it with a stick….

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:32 PM

beer….you need to step away from the Whisky and enjoy a nice Rhum 😀

…NO COKE!!!….or ice! And put away the water!

• 41 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:33 PM

I think McClaren must be having some influence at the club.
    Their stance on preferred media partners -would appear to have been suddenly changed viz the invitation of ALL the press at the training session.
    I can only assume he realised the stupidity of the policy – he surely must have convinced them to change tack.

• 42 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Not very pc are you jesper?

I think we should name the new nufc directors the Gas Board. Has a ring to it.

• 43 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Mitrovic probably does not want to sign for us unless we are the last offer who can blame him ?

• 44 geordie157 // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Let’s just say a miracle happens and we buy five 10mill or above players.

Abdennour, matip, wijnaldum, thuavin, and mitrovic
    That would make a huge difference. Can’t see it happening at a push maybe three big signings.

• 45 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:36 PM

• 46 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Jesper, I know there are some fine rums out there, but I stick with Havana club. Siete Años is good enough for me, makes a nice Ron Collins / Cuba Libre. And it’s the only one for a genuine Mojito, made in the Bodegita Del Medio – ahhhhh happy days….

• 47 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:38 PM

I am a bit of a rum fiend but I like lots of ice and splash of coke

• 48 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Jesper I can see how it’s confusing. Fifty years ago you wouldn’t want to talk about your single male and a PC in the same breath. Today you have to. Does that help?

• 49 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM

You know some of this material is far too good to be free, it really is top stuff though I say so myself ha ha

• 50 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Skunki…Havana Club is a great Rhum for mixing, though they do have some fine Rhum in the high end as well!

I like ’em both ways, but really enjoy a Rhum avec.

• 51 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Beer monkey don’t forget that slice of lime…

• 52 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Skunki…you lost me!

…go back to your post @ #29 7 word from the left!

• 53 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:44 PM

It would derail our season as usual. The board and owner do it every season. We don’t prepare properly pre-season, we sell and not replace, and suffer a huge amount of injuries and have to make do with a lack of quality and experience in the squad.

We only count on 11-15 Pro’s at a time because they don’t believe on paying good wages as backup, they promote youth who arn’t ready or keep poor players on the books to make the numbers up or because they can’t sell them. Too many players bedding in at a time with rush buying. Buy players who are not needed when we are crying out for strength in certain positions.

Then the manager takes the stick. Which they will do anyway because they are third rate managers and don’t have the skills or the players they would want to operate and make a statement like they would like.

Sad scenario.

I hope it changes this time.

• 54 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:45 PM

beer…I am beginning to think you pour coke in everything 😀 lol

• 55 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:47 PM

I don’t drink tea or coffee so its coke or booze

• 56 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:48 PM

I would like to think that Mclaren is able to convince them that we need to have a healthy squad strength but I cant see it myself either ! Would love to be proved wrong !!

• 57 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:50 PM

beer…you’re my age it’s about time you learn to enjoy the good stuff avec 🙂

…Rhum, Calvados or Cognac

• 58 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:54 PM

we only have shit to sell no takers no new players in asshole out

• 59 King Colback // Jul 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Seems Newcastle are stalling again about transfers it’s getting daft now

• 60 WLtoon // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Well, thats Austin and Mitrovic out of the equation,. NEXT !

• 61 John Tudor // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:09 AM

bunch of lying bathtubs

• 62 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:23 AM

I can’t understand why people (including Ed) are still saying we have the basis of “good squad”. Did these people not see us play last season? I think we have about four good quality PL players and the rest vary from being average to bloody awful. There’s so much dead wood I don’t know where you’d start pruning.

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:33 AM

I hope Schteve isn’t lying to us as easily as he lied to his wife. Twice !

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:34 AM

Just sign a quality CB ffs to take the heat of and extend our patience.

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:35 AM

dash of Carver, liked it !

• 66 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:47 AM

It’s starting to look like no quality player is really interested in coming to Newcastle. It appears that what we are offering the clubs is decent enough but the players themselves want no part of us. Can’t say I blame them either to be fair. I think we (deservedly) have gained the reputation of being perpetual relegation fodder, with no realistic chance of CL football with the present ownership.

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 10, 2015 at 12:51 AM

Recall the panic and the doom over the club’s inability to get in the backroom staff? Ashley’s too tight to pay the going rate. Remember that? Before that, he was too tight to sack Carver.

Also the notion that the players wouldn’t respect the back room staff when they do come because they’ll be seen as second choice. Remember that one?

Now, it continues to be that all the best lasses at the dance will be taken by the time we’re ready to make a move. Oh dear.

• 68 Blofal // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Unfortunately I think the club is genuine in trying to sign these players.

The problem is Newcastle is not an attractive club for the types of players we need to bring in.

Like McClaren said players over $10m have a lot of competition. And we are competing with clubs that can offer Champions League football and attractive cities to live in.

We couldn’t sign Remy because he wanted to live in London. Sounds the same with Austin. If we are competing with London clubs or clubs like Roma then we are already at a disadvantage.

From a $10m + footballers perspective why would you sign for a club like Newcastle where you are..

1. Not going to win anything anytime soon
    2. Not going to play Champions League and probably not Europa league either.
    3 Live in regional northern city as opposed to London, Rome, etc..
    4. Have a HUGE amount of pressure on you to perform because that city is fanatical about it’s football team.

Then a club like Roma comes in for Mitrovic and we wonder why we can’t get a player of that calibre over the line? The only way we can do that is by paying well over the odds which attracts mercenaries and makes players hard to sell later on due to the high wages. QPR fell into that trap and they actually had the London draw card!

Lesser players jump at the chance to play for Newcastle and prove themselves (stepping stone). Established and top quality players have no incentive to come other than cash.

• 69 toonicle // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:20 AM

The likes of West ham, Swansea and Palace have managed to make progress in that price range though

• 70 Our Toon // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:22 AM

This is a classic case of chickens coming home to roost. Years of mismanagement and serious lack of ambition has cost us is attempting to persuade very good players from joining. We are no longer the better option for being a stepping a stone to something better.

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:25 AM

What on earth are you talking about, ‘The Club’ were blatantly too tight to sack Carver until it became clearly obvious that last chance Schteve wouldn’t come otherwise.

• 72 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:27 AM

All true Blofal. Ashley is reaping what he’s sown. A club that’s supposed “wipe it’s own nose” but is run on the smell of an oily rag by an MD who doesn’t seem capable of wiping his own @rse.

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:29 AM

Carver should have been sacked after that six game streak like he said, in his words, at a normal club he would have been, why isn’t our club a ‘normal’ club. It’s because we have a complete toss pot who isn’t interested in footballing success in charge of our destiny.

• 74 soundoid // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:30 AM

One thing is for sure not many, if any of our good players will leave this window. Didn’t shower themselves in glory last season. Yeah it’s a 3 window build to get us back to being the feeder club we have been in the past. I like SM, he’s being played like we all are I fear. Hope I’m wrong.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:33 AM

blackley – you know fine well that the comment about the backroom staff was suggested if Wally did not get his first choice team signed on.
    He has now got those in place – so my comments about that scenario no longer applies -it therefore follows that your perpetual sniping about it no longer applies either.
    Give it a rest man you are deliberatey highlighting an event which did not materialise to suit your agenda of having a go a those who you have crossed swords with.
    I suspect Ed has you on the blog equivalent of an ASBO – now behave yourself.

• 76 leonado_keng // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:35 AM

Laugh loudly 5555, we will not spend money foolly, I’d say we lost good chance for many times to sign top player like Wilfred bony, what about price for him after Swansea sold him to Man city. Mike’s strategy is not good because you lose 100% more profitable than you should get as we known in case of Wilfred bony. Mike is success in business but you don’t approach to achieve in heart’s toon army at all. We just want sincere and ambitious and good vision from you only

• 77 Bornandraised // Jul 10, 2015 at 1:49 AM

Even if he has got 60M to spend, I don’t know how he is going to remake this squad into something competitive buying players for 10M plus. By my count, even with Wijnaldum, the squad still needs 13 players and probably a replacement for Colo and Tiote next summer. Perhaps he means 10M for players who should start on a weekly basis, and the players we already have or cheaper players for the bench. But still, he must know that he needs (starter quality) 1 Centre Defender, 1 Fullback, 1 Defensive Mid, 1 Attacking Mid, 1 Centre Forward. I suppose he could get 2/3rds there this window by spending 40M but the bench would still be a disaster.

• 78 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 10, 2015 at 2:04 AM

60 mil?

Off to kip.

I’ll dream of that!

• 79 Bornandraised // Jul 10, 2015 at 2:14 AM

The saddest thing is that 60M would be amazing and could, if things worked out, fill the team’s biggest holes, but we’d still be left with the likes of Williamson/Dummett, Anita/Abeid, and Obertan/Gouffran as primary back-ups. Some of the under-21s really need to step up and play big roles.

• 80 Blofal // Jul 10, 2015 at 2:56 AM

We have $60m to spend but I’m not sure we are going to be able to spend it all to be honest.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t get Mitrovic or Austin. I don’t think either want to come.

We might get Wijnaldum and Matip but that is only $25m.

From what McClaren said the targets that we have are going to prove very hard to get over the line because high caliber players want to live in big cities and play Champions League football.

We have to convince some very good players to come and play for a mid table English club that isn’t playing Champions League or even Europa league.

The reason Chelsea can sign players in the first week of the window is because they have all that to offer. We don’t and have to spend weeks trying to convince these players to come play for us whilst they hold out for an offer from a bigger club.

• 81 expatmag // Jul 10, 2015 at 3:08 AM

Bloody hell. I see the blog idiot is back spouting his usual crap after a period of enforced absence.

Nothing like an attention seeker to spoil things again.

• 82 expatmag // Jul 10, 2015 at 3:09 AM

60 million quid to spend?????

Where did the club admit this?

• 83 Our Toon // Jul 10, 2015 at 3:27 AM

Whilst I agree it doesn’t take much for Chelsea or other CL teams to convince players to join I have to disagree with your notion of weeks to convince. Why can Southampton, Swansea etc go amd get a deal wrapped up within 48 hrs.

How can Ayew and previously Bony etc choose Swansea? We are completely inept and far to slow, we are very short sighted and think short term which is why deals take an absolute age

• 84 BandB // Jul 10, 2015 at 3:46 AM

As predicted this time yesterday, lots of sweetness and light was pumped out by the propaganda juggernaut yesterday.
    Lots coming out of the club.
    Nothing going in.
    It appears that McClaren’s hopes of having at least one player to unveil at tonight’s Gateshead game won’t happen.
    That’s his first measurable target NOT delivered on.
    He now has two days to get “a couple” on the flight to the USA. That should be possible.
    I wonder how long it is before he utters the words “trust me.” It’s coming closer.
    Meanwhile, if you just hand over that season ticket money before you get trampled in the rush.

• 85 expatmag // Jul 10, 2015 at 4:16 AM

Our toon

Do the words Cheap Skates mean anything to you?

If so, there is your answer

• 86 expatmag // Jul 10, 2015 at 4:21 AM

Dont raise your hopes, hinny.

I see Koeman’s brother is telling Wijnaldum not to join us because we are crap.

Mitrovic has us placed last as a current option behind Porto Benfica snd Roma

Charlie Austin has stated he doesnt want to move oop norf.

It has taken the board over a week so far to negotiate a 300k deal with Northampton for Toney and even that is no nearer completion.

Wont be long till there us a line of players knocking on SMs door wanting out.

• 87 BandB // Jul 10, 2015 at 4:47 AM

I think the brand must be a hard sell.
    We are a city, in a football hotbed. We were playing Champions’ League football, not very long before Ashley took over.
    Create a good product, and the world will beat a path to your door.
    We may get “just in time” delivery of players, like we did with the training staff.
    It makes sound business sense.

• 88 expatmag // Jul 10, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Unfortunately, I am not as trusting of the current regime as you due to years of mismanagement and lack of ambition.

With Palace signing Cabaye, we are now the only PL club yet to buy a player. A club of our size and history has been systematically destroyed in just EIGHT YEARS by these baffoons with one ridiculously stupid decision after another by supposed top level businessmen. Top men in business dont constant mistakes like the ones we have experienced over 8 years.

It will take a hell of a lot more than a couple of half decent signings to pacify or impress me.

• 89 scout // Jul 10, 2015 at 5:36 AM

I thought the Head coach didnt have a say on incoming players anyway? Or have they changed the rules AGAIN

• 90 check the toastie // Jul 10, 2015 at 5:44 AM

Which ever way you dress it up, so far the transfer window has been a disgrace, the club appears to be ran by a total inept.

Charnley oot…

• 91 BandB // Jul 10, 2015 at 5:58 AM

I was hopeful we would have at least one new player ready for a run out tonight, because the new broom said he was hopeful.
    I accepted the invitation to share his hope, as he was speaking as an insider.
    As a result I will be marginally less assured over his hopes to have two in by Sunday.
    How many times will this happen before I start to think his “hopes” are a ploy to get season tickets moving?
    Not many.

• 92 expatmag // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:04 AM

It is only 4 weeks till the season opener in what could prove to be a very difficult opening 6 games or so.

Every team bar us has recruited and currently assimilating new players into squads.

Least said the better.

• 93 sing in the corner // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM

Just shows… a huge load of crap gets spouted about players / targets. At one stage Charlie Austin was odds on to sign for Newcastle imminently according to various sources. Looking at his twitter musings now, all he has done in the last few days is wax lyrical about being excited to head off to Italy with the rest of his QPR mates. And has now gone… I wonder was there ever anything in it at all. Which makes me concerned about the prospect of signing Wij, Matip, etc. More of a worry is that the club don’t seem unduly worried enough to pull a proper PR stunt and sign someone to dissipate the growing unrest. I had thought the non renewing of season tickets and the irritation of last seasons protest movement was a source of power we still had at our disposal. But are the powers that be really bothered about it?

• 94 BandB // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Steve is being shrewdly set up as a guy who feels our pain.
    He has that re-assuring manner…… “Let’s not panic.guys.”
    However, if his assurances were to carry no weight, then it might be better didn’t raise hopes over matters on which he has little control or influence.

• 95 cyprus // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:40 AM

If we spend anything over 28 m then we’ll shatter all previous records.

Last year was 3rd highest ever net total, yet it led to nothing, so it’s not about bringing players in. They must make sure these new ones are top.

• 96 firebug666 // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:42 AM

My biggest worry is, although McClaren is a massive step up from Pardew / Carver, his statements seem to follow the same path.

“We are working hard behind the scenes”, “We want the right players for this club”, “We are close to a breakthrough”, “It takes time to get the right players”, etc etc etc.

Same speeches different face.

Now though that different face is telling us we are looking for players in a higher price bracket, so maybe he should tell Charnley we need to offer higher fees.

I would ask why does it take us so long, when other teams just get on with it going from rumour to done deal within a week?

• 97 cyprus // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Steve’s reaction (‘wow’) is a big positive. We need two players from that 10m. plus bracket.

Nice video at the training ground. Weather great. Body language was good. Still: Lots of nervousness about; people trying to win coaches’ favour, jockeying for position, all logical.

USA trip coming way too soon.

• 98 Ron Knee // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:49 AM

Charmless could do with a few sessions with Steve Black.

• 99 cyprus // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:50 AM

Many players seem reluctant to come here, up North, the weather, the regime, not sure why.

We need super eager people. Haven’t they seen the movie? Maybe we should be searching in other places, apart from Europe, like Latin America, Africa… if the scouting and signing doesn’t work, those responsible must be shifted.

• 100 BandB // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:52 AM

“We won’t be rushed. Finding the right players takes time” was right out of the Pardew playbook.

What comes next?

“We just couldn’t get them over the line?”

“I’m really upbeat that the squad I have is plenty strong enough?”

• 101 Crow59 // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Today is the day, I can feel it. Wiji and mitro will be dragged over that pesky line and we can all finally show some optimism .

• 102 Chris // Jul 10, 2015 at 6:59 AM

“Mitrovic has us placed last as a current option behind Porto Benfica and Roma”

It’s interesting that there don’t appear to be any English clubs linked with him. I wonder if that’s because he’d need to get a work permit before he’d be able to play in the PL (he’s a Serbian national and Serbia isn’t a member of the EU). The fact that he’s not an EU citizen seems to be the reason why his proposed move to Roma has stalled:

NUFC 360 ?@NUFC360 Jul 9

Roma has 2 vacancies for non-EU players & reports say they are focusing on Dzeko and Baba Rahman. Could be good news for #NUFC on Mitrovic.

I expect all the other premier league clubs are aware that there might be a problem getting a work permit for him, which is probably why none of them appear to be showing any interest, but I wonder if Charnley and co are smart enough to realise it.

• 103 Crow59 // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Haha just read the article about the banning of swearing and the fact that macca sent two players home for being 5 mins late for training……quality lol

• 104 firebug666 // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Well that would be my guess. All the pressure we have in attracting good player to this club is self inflicted. the remit for this season for example, We are proudly announcing that we are now ready to challenge for a top eight spot, and are going to now compete in cup competitions.

That’s a great advert to attract players in the higher price bracket who want to play in the CL. We offer nothing in the way of ambition (regardless of Ashley’s speech), and player know this.

If we now tell player we are no longer a stepping stone and are looking to build a team that will challenge to finish in the top eight would they really want to be tied to a long term contract here?

• 105 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:00 AM

McClaren is sounding more and more like Pardew and it seems not many are picking up on this…

…the usual comments are ‘good words’ there from McClaren. ‘He comes across well ‘!

• 106 Bambams // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM

McLaren is impressing me I have to admit.
    Take his last couple of interviews along with how many respected footballers rate him and his backroom staff (early I know) look very professional.
    Blackie should never have been allowed to leave.
    I am ‘cautiously optimistic’ we ‘could’ be building something.

This window is massive never mind the next few !

• 107 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:05 AM

And all that too Bambams 😉

• 108 welshgeordie9 // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:06 AM

What do you want him to say.

• 109 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Imagine if we are just back to square one with Pardew 2.0 just with a slightly better backroom staff courtesy of Derby!

• 110 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:10 AM

Welsh…for crying out loud get yourself together!

…it’s all bullshit – go read the FF minutes it’s all the same nonsense.

• 111 BandB // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:10 AM

He will reinforce positive messages about the club.
    That’s his job.
    His job isn’t to be the fans’s Ombudsman on the “board”, as some folks seem to imagine him.

• 112 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:13 AM

McLaren playing good cop to Charnley’s bad cop. I want to like him, he seems far more professional than Pardew. But whatever he says now and whatever we feel about him will go flying out the window If we start poorly or there is no discernible change in the football.

In that instance I’d like to think we’d give Charnley / Ashley the brunt of it for failing McLaren. If though he starts defending the indefensible then a repeat of the back end of last season is on the cards.

• 113 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM

I would expect it to get pushed through on the appeal process in the UK. I’m not sure how the new regulations that were talked about have changed the process, or even if they have been implemented yet, but under the old rules he would have needed to play in 1 more of the senior sides fixtures over the last couple of years. The fact the ones he missed he was mainly with the under 21’s should mean that an appeal is approved without too much difficulty.

There had been talk of making it more difficult, but I think given he has played Champions League level, he has plenty in his favour to get through the screening process.

An interesting thought though, certainly one that hadn’t crossed my mind before in regards to him and potentially a key one.

• 114 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Jesper. What was confusing you last night?

• 115 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:18 AM

I think the idea that Williamson and Gouffran are about to get on a plane for the US is troubling.

• 116 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:21 AM

I have to say I agree with you – this is becoming a bit too frequent for my liking!

The last three paragraphs are full of phrases and utterances that we have heard from Pardew over the years, and even one of Carver’s. It is still early days for McClaren, but it is all seeming eerily familiar.

• 117 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:23 AM

BsndB…I had hoped he wasn’t another Pardew but an independent man who wouldn’t put himself or us in this position!

‘Action speaks more powerful than words, but when you use words as your actions; you probably won’t stop talking!

That’s my thoughts so far on McClaren!

• 118 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Crow59 you know who I hope those two players were don’t you?

I bet there’s a sizeable swear box after Carvers tenure.

• 119 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Skunki…I didn’t get anything you wrote mate!

…maybe my observation wasn’t funny or I just missed your joke! I don’t know…

• 120 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Let’s be realistic here, it would be foolish of the owners not to use SM as their new propaganda weapon, he even has the added lustre of plausible deniability seeing as he hasn’t had first hand experience of their duplicity before. He can say he’s expecting to players in with a calm and beguiling innocence. We on the other hand have heard the same honeyed words before.

• 121 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM

Lilongwe…it seems you’re warming up to me…good for you 😉

• 122 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Was it the PC thing? Do I have to explain my joke? I think it will be less funny I warn you.

• 123 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Maybe it is the north that’s the issue. Maybe they’re all just scared of the white walkers after that last season of GOT.

Give them a Valyrian blade and a bag of dragon glass and we should be sweet.

• 124 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:29 AM

When Pardew said there’ll be five quality signings, six if we sold, we believed him and then sympathised when we only ended up with Anita, then he took his eight years of silver. I fear Mclaren has already took his.

• 125 Bambams // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:30 AM

I will put my hands up if the usual happens and we do not bring the players in.
    I feel that he has now put his head above the parapet stating ‘wow’ re targets.
    Words I know….
    They make mention of the next three windows, obviously hoping to attract better and better players as we go along. THIS window is in my opinion HUGE never mind subsequent ones.
    I cannot blame yourself or other fellow bloggers for scepticism in relation to our club.
    Maybe it’s the Friday feeling that is influenced my post.
    Cheers for the craic fella

• 126 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:35 AM

I was just recapping our past rare visits to gateshead international when we jogged in with the likes of Beardsley, Ferdinand, Shearer and duly handed out severe and crushing beatings.

What performance will each of the two 11’s (a half played for each side) dole out I wonder?

• 127 hibbit // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:35 AM

if we don’t have at lest one new player on the plane to the usa that will be the time to worry …….. i am hoping for 2.

• 128 firebug666 // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:38 AM

I just find the whole transfer thing offensive, when they say we are not just looking at this window but the next one and the next after that”, “We only want player that are right for this club”, the player we bring in must give us value pound for pound”.

All of the above are ready made excuses if we do not make any signings. Excuses like:

“The market was just not right to do any deals, we are looking at the next window”, “The player would not have been a good fit for the club”. The list is endless.

Apart from the new faces in staffing, I have yet to see any change in at the club, so far all we are getting is the same old same old.

• 129 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:39 AM

It seems a bit confused to me. We have identified our targets, Ashley has said we can sign them and the funds are available, yet we are not making headway. McClaren says we have to wait for the right ones. Why not grab the bull by the horns and take it to them?

As others have said, and said well, the club is reaping what it has sown in the past. Underachievement, lack of ambition, telling players they are aiming for ‘x’ while not equipping or pushing for ‘x’ etc.

Players talk, many of our signings have come in and talked of Europe being the target. Some have left once it became clear it wasn’t. Players talk, and the ones we are after now will know of these false promises.

We need somebody at board level who can get away from the lies of the past, sell the club, the vision, the fresh start. Someone who can inspire, and create an enthusiasm around the club. We haven’t got that, and that is where the appointment of McClaren falls down, however good a coach he is, he doesn’t inspire confidence that this is a new start.

• 130 mickalfas // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Another one gone ,Van ginkel to Stoke ,and West Ham are signing a CB from Juve ,to make 5 signings
    It’s a joke !
    Our competitors are getting stronger

• 131 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I was giving them time to do their stuff and get a few decent first teamers in, then push a few of the knackers out the back door in time for the bus to the airport. I truly believe that going on a pre season tour to prepare yourself for the Premier League with substantially the team that dodged relegation by inches will be not far short of a disaster. How are the optimists going to play their hand after that ? ” ahhhhh just wait until we see how SM manages this team, and then at the next window….” 🙁

• 132 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Bambams…no prob mate

• 133 Bambams // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:44 AM

I know we have been battered into almost submission. I am not saying everything is going to be rosey.
    This window will tell us so much about where we are going, Ash ambition, how much influence Steve has, type of players we are after….
    If as per the norm nowt happens then again ‘Donkey ears on me’
    Again I just tend to believe Steve more than I ever dis Pards or Carver.
    Time will tell in next four weeks.
    But I fully understand where the grounds are for not believing. Our club has been dragged to the bottom for too long with false promises.
    Not getting carried away but the Prem title could be ours next season with some ambition…..
    (Joking boys just chill)

• 134 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Lilo – there’s no ‘fresh start’ in reality is there? The lame horse that lost the last race has had a nice new colourful blanket thrown over it – whoa! What happened to the old horse??!!

• 135 JamesToon // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Have to say west ham are making some very good signings. Ogbonna would have been decent for us for just £8mil

• 136 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Let’s recap. Taking all the pr away, the emails to fans, the promo video, the kangaroo fans forum, at the moment it’s business exactly as usual. As if stands we still have Williamson, Dummett, Gouffran, colback as shoe ins for the first team. We still have a bottler want away captain AND vice captain. Tiote and De Jong are still nowhere close to playing competitively. The usual crock suspects and not quite up to speed artists lurk in the shadier corners. As it stands, right now, despite all the timeshare talk, we are going to the USA with the same squad as last year, and there won’t be any new faces on the team sheet come PL kick off. That is the real world we are talking about kids!

• 137 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 7:56 AM

I’m going to cut and paste that one later. After the two new signings dont materialise.

• 138 sing in the corner // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:00 AM

I think you’re right, it is worrying that we are about to fly out for a preparation tour with zero signings in. Most of the optimists, me included, were or are prepared to allow the new staff to make some changes. Although its still not too late (CB, decent striker and a leader / playmaker type needed in my opinion) its very late in the day.
    There will be totally justified fury unleashed. if nobody of any consequence is brought in It doesn’t mean those optimists were wrong to wait and see what happened when the initial minimum was done (incompetent carver / stone combo out and people qualified to do their jobs in)

• 139 terencelim // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:04 AM

@Lilongwe Geordie, Why confused? Didn’t you learn that Ashley is the PL club owner with the least credibility and integrity?

• 140 firebug666 // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Newcastle United set to field strong side for Gateshead friendly clash on Friday night

Great headline from the Chronicle.

Is that the same strong side that was playing last season?

I fancy us to get beat tonight.

• 141 firebug666 // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Another Pardew quote from McClaren on transfers going very well, in the Chronicle article.

“People may say slowly, but we have got to get the right ones in, that’s the key.”

• 142 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:08 AM

we have to bring Wijnaldum and Mitrovic before the tour…and then we have some time on Matip, Abdennour and Thauvin…..S.Mc Claren is right, we need three good windows and next year, we can have a really strong squad then…if SM will come good manager and his coaching staff become good…but we need 3-4 +10M signings this window…we need at least Europa league next year, to attract some players….

• 143 lochinvar // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:09 AM

London Evening Standard – the clue is in the title. London.
    The same airport lounge that spent £50b or something ridiculous on CrossRail and thinks the the Metro is in Paris.
    If Mrs. Austin likes living in Wiltshire that’s ok and she wants Charlie home in time for tea he might be better driving south to Bournmouth to time to avoid the London rush hour traffic.
    Perfectly understandable and his loss.
    We -I shouldn’t get trampled in the rush thinking he’s the new Supermac, he’s not. He’s a footballer and there are plenty to choose from.
    Whether or not Charnley signs them is an entirely different question.

• 144 sing in the corner // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:09 AM

I am not sure what people expect Mc Laren to say. What is churned out in media is 80percent PR guff and cliched waffle, mixed with a smattering of honesty. All managers and players do it at all clubs at one time or another. People in football have media training and can talk at length without actually saying anything. They all do it.

• 145 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:10 AM

I’m not confused, the message from McClaren is. Nothing to do with Ashley. Ashley perfectly stated his intentions in his interview as far as I am concerned, and he is staying true to that so far.

“continue the policy of investment in the club”

• 146 cyprus // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:14 AM

I’m very optimistic. This HC has had a few days only to assess the players, figure out if they really are crap and figure out what is needed. It’s the decent thing to do with the incumbents.

We need two big signings and money talks. If there really is a 60 m. kitty, some heads will be turned. Two players for 30 m., the rest for ‘maybes’.

previous post: Report Newcastle Have Given Up On Charlie Austin