McClaren Still Planning To Spend Big Money This Summer

Newcastle head coach McClaren says that the club are very close to getting a couple of good signings in,  and McClaren has said they explained to Mike Ashley what they want to do this summer, and it seems Mike has given them the money and told the Board to basically get on with it.

So it does look like the four man Newcastle Board is completely responsible for the transfers this summer, now that Mike Ashley has given them the money,  and is no longer part of the Board and hopefully keeping himself out of the football decisions at the club.

steve mcclaren training

Steve McClaren – on the training pitch

The Express is reporting tonight the amount of funds is £60M – and we assume that’s a net amount because if we do bring good players in then some other players will be sold – players like Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor to name three.

Steve opened the training on Thursday to the media,  and it looks like that has gone very well the journalists, with the head coach giving a number of interviews today and seeming to be very open with the information he gave out.

This is what Steve said today – specifically about the transfers and even the longer term strategy:

“We’re close. We are working very hard behind the scenes. When you buy players for £0-5M there are loads of them and in that respect Newcastle would be top of the tree.”

“From £5M-£10M still a lot of them and we would be right up there competing with that group – and there are a lot of players in that group. But when you go above that and look for a caliber of player to improve what we’ve got and to achieve our objectives, that makes a huge difference.”

“When you go to £10M plus – and there is a lot of speculation about that level of player at the moment – they are Europa League and Champions League players at top clubs. There aren’t so many players in that bracket, so the competition is higher.”

“It is more difficult to recognize their availability and get things done. The process is going on and, believe you me, there is a massive willingness from the club to spend, but not spend foolishly.”

“We are also looking for good value, but everyone in football is still looking for good value for money and for talent – and that is what we are doing.”  “I looked at the plan when I first came in and looked at the caliber of players and said ‘wow’.”

“We have expressed our objectives, and put it on the line and now we have to fulfill that. That’s what Mike Ashley has done and he said ‘go on fulfill it’.   So we have to get the right ones in  to improve this group.”

“We have talked a lot about the next three windows being huge, massive, for us. But let’s make sure we get the right ones.¨ “If we get them, then in a year’s time – after the third window – we should have a damn good team and squad on a different level to where we are now.”

“That is purely because we are looking at players above a certain bracket.”

Every club wants to get value for money and in the past Newcastle have overdone that .

But it’s not worth bringing players in just for the sake of it,  and it would be daft to spend money just for spending’s sake – that’s simply a waste of funds.

Newcastle still have the basis of a good squad,  and if we can get say five (very) good players in this summer, we could even have a good squad next season.

That’s our hope and we haven’t given up on that yet.

• optimistic prime

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Moonshine isn’t bad, gets you quite wrecked.

I went to British Columbia twenty years ago and through a mate met a old biker who’d been hit by a truck.

He used his compo to buy a farm were he grew weed and brewed moonshine.

Great week

• Belfast

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Moonshine out! Buckfast in!

• firebug666

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:43 PM

McClaren talks the talk, He’s starting to grow on me. I hope he is right, we will buy in the next three windows to create a great team, ship out the trash, and then look to win something.

But and it’s a big but… He has to trust Charnley to get the deals done, my confidence is lowered.

• beermonkey

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM

prime

and you hear such horror stories of people wasting there compo

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Get some of the captains broth =

Buckfast + Red Bull + Vodka all in a pint !! BOOM !!!

• Belfast

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Reading this you’d be optimistic like, but then you remember the other false dawns and you snap out of it.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM

If there was any doubt as to who is who on here -Jib has slipped up.
    I missed it but Average spotted it :-

Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    “…..Jeff don’t post any more of your Google translate Dutch please.”

Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM
    Tsunki don’t tell me what to do thankyou
    I know you and a few others (the text gang – ha ha ha ) think you own the site.But ya divvent.
    You no likee You no readee

So Tsunki directs his post to Jeff and Jib replies.
    What a knacker
    Wat een vilder.

Another blog classic – still not as good as the unforgetable Ian Toon blunder -sending posts to himself.
    You couldnt make it up.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Soooooo

If we are signing 4 players who are they ?

Matip possibly
    Wijnaldum hopefully !
    Mitrovic hopefully !

Personally would love to see us sign a top drawer left back or defensive midfielder if we are going to only sign 4

then get loans for one or 2 other players such as Lingard and Van Ginkel

Then ship out Obertan , Gouffran , Saylor and Williamson on loan

• optimistic prime

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Beer

I know, sickening.

His place was unreal, no neighbours for miles. Sat on his porch on one of those hanging swing chairs getting pie eyed.

It was a haze but a great time

• beermonkey

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

firebug

McLaren isn’t dumb and must have gotten certain assurances
    all I see is another keegan incident happening

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Mr T – well done! Just came back in to post that very thing ha ha, yes Jeff has indeed confirmed he and jib are one and the same. Another slip up by the Google Einstein!

As BandB would probably say –
    ” beep beep”!

• Belfast

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Aye I quite like McClaren to be honest. He seems genuine at least. You always had an inkling Pardew was making it up as he went along. He liked a good fib did Alan.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:51 PM

As someone I knew used to say, to be a good liar you have to have a damn good memory 🙂

• firebug666

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM

beer

I agree, I think if nothing happens as promised McClaren will be gone that’s for sure. I cannot see him putting up with the sh1t the club is use to throwing about.

He wants to do the right things for the players and the fans, the club on the other hand just don’t give a fcuk about either.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:56 PM

McClaren is? Carr and Charnley maybe.

If the squad isn’t boosted to 18-20 Experienced pro’s nout will change. Too many not good enough to step in to cover the 1st eleven with the injuries we sustain.

On Austin:

Bad news.. Stalling as all the top players are being taken?

Makes me think they wanted this with leaving it so long..

Have they expected all the top boys to be taken by now so they can dip into the 2nd and 3rd raters in the realms of 6-8 mil as usual. With the money we have in the bank? How much has Pardew had to spend since January? Something seriously wrong here. PALACE?

It’s all talk and leaks, no action. It’s been a while for a while?

Same as usual.

Im down, but would love to be surprised.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Well I’m really happy for you lot drinking petrol for your funnies but I prefer the more refined route of the single male that’s the genuine article there folks none of your varnish remover.

Current bargains to be had from Tesco, get your Auchentoshan American oak or Laphroaig Special for a measly £25. Mmmmmmm. You saw that here.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM

You know, I did that before.. get your single male….that doesn’t look good on my CV. Single malt I meant. My phone has gender issues, not me.

• bobby mango

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Problem is we act so slow all the good value is gone by the time we make an offer.

They’ve had months to assess the squad and finalise targets. Steve is the only one who’s not been around that time but he only makes quarter of the board.

I like mcclaren but this is all talk. We need to see some actual signings

• mickalfas

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:01 PM

SM needs to bitchslap that baldy headed fcuking weasel ,get the players in now ffs!

• beermonkey

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:02 PM

prime

never liked weed, I do have long distinguished drinking career though

firebug

the club could do a lot worse than listen to McLaren he could give them the ground work for what they want
    if there honest over finances as well I am sure he would be ok with it

wijnaldum if he cost 15 mill in 2 3 seasons we could double that
    and could well be the same for the other 2 we are linked with I don’t see why we aint laying out the red carpet to get them

• Looney_toon_89

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Hopefully all these words will turn into actions, & hopefully once one or two are over the line the rest will be more keen to follow. I hope Sissoko isn’t sold. I don’t think he would be missed on the pitch in the same way Cabaye has been, but he is still one of the better players & selling him would put a dampner on what could be a good transfer window, regardless of who comes in. Here’s to hoping.

• Jib

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Sorry if it has been posted before.

This site claims to stream all our PS friendlies.

We shall see.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:05 PM

One of the big problems the squad has had is the ‘purples’ idea made an elite first team pick that discouraged anyone trying to break through. No matter how hard a non-purple tried, he couldn’t permanently displace a purple. it’s an absolutely moronic concept that can only be dreamt up by a moronic bean counter who has never played a sport in his life, thanks Derek. No competition for places. Inbuilt complacency. Lack of motivation. Inevitable degradation of results over a long period. Add one Pardew, a dash of carver and you have the relegation bound cocktail of death. Please say we’ve abandoned the Purples idea.

• Thump

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:06 PM

“When I first came in and looked at the players I thought ‘Wow, Williamson is 1st choice CB? Fsck me, he’s on the thieve.‘”

• mickalfas

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:07 PM

If Willo is a purple ,god help us!

• beermonkey

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:07 PM

tsunki

that cracked me up do u like ice with ur single male

its not all varnish remover I am very partial to brandy a nice remy martin, cant stand whisky though don’t know why just never liked it

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Jeff you checked out averages and Mr T’s posts tonight?

You know that precariously perched boulder that stays perched even when you pull the stick out that’s holding it up? Well, don’t go under it to see why. Trust me on this. 🙂

• Belfast

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Single males, brown envelopes in dark carparks. This picture you’re painting isn’t that great Skunki.

You sound like bad news.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Beer monkey no ice with my single male ha ha I’m cool already.

Btw I know why you’ve never liked it, it’s simply that you’re an uncultured swine ha ha. Seriously though, nobody likes whisky if their initiation is a shot of white house or famous grouse. If you learn to drink it right, like you do your nice cognac, you’ll soon learn to love and Ardbeg Uigeadail 🙂 expensive hobby though I admit.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Belfast yeah but you’re intrigued, right…..

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:17 PM

What’s a white house whisky? Danged if I know.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:18 PM

jib/jeff – don’t know how yu’ve got the gall/brassneck to return – you’ve been outed by your own stupidity -despite bragging how clever you were yesterday.
    Well it would appear not clever enough.
    Get yourself away to the Ladies Wrestling Forum now and do us all a favour.

Wat een vilder.
    Treble whammy!!! -get in. You dope.Duh.

• beermonkey

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM

tsunki

my dad is a collector of single malts I have tried allsorts not found one I didn’t wanna put coke it in it to make it nice 🙂 he has given up on me now and don’t even bother offering it to me
    ur not wrong though I am an uncultured swine

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM

I think he’s starting to sound more and more like Pardew!

I am not really sure if McClaren as his predecessors cannot see that what they preach means nothing when taking in to account where we have been and seeing as we are going nowhere!

They are just feeding us lines, but as I have stated before I won’t act!

• Toon-Prodigy

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM

I hope McClaren is right in what he knows about upstairs, because this all seems like deja vu from when Pardew was appointed to me.

Crying out for this and that and being given something else, basically having to get on with it.

I need a CB or a striker well there is a CM. get on with it.

Oh, we need to replace this player no doubt, eh no, here is 5 french players, they don’t speak English but you better keep us up.

We will never sell this player, we will, get on with it and you won’t have a back up either. Make do.

By the way, they were brought forward these signings, get on with it.

Nevermind injuries or settling in times. Just keep us in the league and do the best you can. Bring the coin in and stay in the league. That’s the 5 yr plan.

I hope this board is alot better than the last.

I hope McClaren is either lucky with injuries or knows this board aswell as he is talking otherwise this club will ruin him even further.

There was only one man for this job, a man desperate for a crack at the Prem again, just like Pards.

Let’s hope they back you Steve.

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Beer monkey my word if you’d said lemonade you’d probably stand a chance but coke? You’re a lost cause son 😀

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM

@Toon-Prodigy

Yeah Mclaren does talk a good game but wonder what would happen if the club decided to sell Sissoko and or Cisse in August and we dont have adequate replacements?Or if we are near 40 points at christmas do they decide to have another fire sale with no replacements?

I shudder when I remember Carver saying he told Charnley not to sell Cisse in January

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Skunki…we want nothing to do with your single male!

• Tsunki

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Jeff hoists Google anvil high on system of ropes and pulleys and lies in wait to release it on the unwary poster as he goes by. Poster flies past, rope releases, anvil stays in air. Jeff goes to check. Stands underneath anvil, prodding it with a stick….

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:32 PM

beer….you need to step away from the Whisky and enjoy a nice Rhum 😀

…NO COKE!!!….or ice! And put away the water!