The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Steve Black Frightened The Players Half To Death

7:04 pm, Thursday, July 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

Steve Black comes to Newcastle with a huge reputation, and he has had many successes in his career – he’s  known to be a great motivator of people.

So there was a little bit of fun today when Steve McClaren was talking to the press, and the head coach mentioned that Black had talked one on one to most of the players since training started last week.

steve black closeup  at newcastle

Steve Black at Newcastle

To give you an idea of what Steve’s like – here’s a little bit of what’s on his web-site:

Be Effective!

Steve Black is one of Europe’s leading motivational speakers. He has built a formidable reputation as a passionate and captivating presenter who delivers cutting edge material in his own unique style.

Onwards & Upwards!

So that sets the stage just a little bit for what Steve McClaren had to say today, about Black speaking with each of the Newcastle players for the first time:

“Speaking of passion, when Steve Black had his first chat with the players, he frightened them half to death. Everybody knows him and his reputation and it has been well received.¨

“He’s good at his job and has done it in every sport. He has told the players that we are here to help.”

Steve can inspire the players when necessary and he has had lots of success with that in his career, but it’s more one on one with players.

But he does give speeches to executives too – so he seems to have a bit of a thriving business he’s built up over the years.

Hopefully he’s already has a one on one with Lee Charnley.

🙂

Steve McClaren seems to have put together a very good coaching staff, but only the results will show whether they can be successful at Newcastle.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Let him do the team talk against the mackems

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:08 PM

No only has he done it in many sports,he’s done it at a very high level in each of those sports. If Blackey cant get the lads to perform ,then no one can.

• 3 mickalfas // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Penfold a lost cause ,and does he speak

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM

OP

Team talk? I’d give him a game! 😀

• 5 Noel Worst // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Any relation to Brian Blessed? I’m imagining him much the same.

• 6 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Ycmiu

CF or CB?

• 7 why oh why // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Back to the Erwin keomen comments
    I think he may be a little worried about us getting him because of the quitting the man has

• 8 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:16 PM

This is a good sign Eindhovens dagblad (PSV’s verion of the Ronny Gill) is already dividing up Wijnaldum’s fee from the Toon between his former clubs.
    €1.5million to Feyenoord €100,000 to Sparta Rotterdam

Feyenoord int flink bij transfer Wijnaldum, Sparta eet ook mee

Facebook Twitter Google+

Geplaatst op
    09 juli 2015
    Laatste update
    09 juli, 16:26

Videos
    Foto’s
    Reageer

EINDHOVEN – Feyenoord ‘casht’ net als PSV flink op het moment dat Georginio Wijnaldum wordt verkocht.
    Bekijk ook…

Wijnaldum: bod Newcastle tussen 15 en 20 miljoen euro (video)
    Wijnaldum: ‘Vorig jaar verwachtten ook velen dat ik niet zou blijven’ (video)

De club heeft sowieso recht op een opleidingsvergoeding van 3,0 procent over het hele transferbedrag. Ook Sparta kan 0,5 procent van het hele transferbedrag tegemoet zien.

Feyenoord heeft daarnaast een doorverkooppercentage van 7,5% bedongen (net als Wijnaldum zelf), zo meldt VI. Dat betekent dat de Rotterdammers bij een transferbedrag van iets minder dan 20 miljoen euro ongeveer 1,5 miljoen euro tegemoet kunnen zien. Voor Sparta gaat het dan om bijna 100.000 euro.

Wijnaldum staat in de belangstelling van Newcastle United en zou snel kunnen verkassen naar de ‘Magpies’.

• 9 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:17 PM

• 10 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Joey Barton seems to rate him from what I’ve read

• 11 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Whoops
    Sorry I didn’t mean to post all that Dutch
    Just the link

• 12 lochinvar // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Put Steve Black in charge of transfers and he’ll scare them into joining us !

• 13 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Markass Is Steve Black a retired Santa?

• 14 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Wat een vilder.

• 15 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:25 PM

What a skinner. ?????????????????????????????????

• 16 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:28 PM

meneer stoere
    Ik wou dat ik was zo slim als je

• 17 ronaldo aarons // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:28 PM

The cb I would like us to sign is kamil glik of torino. He is exactly what we need and at 27 he is at a good age for a centre half. Every time I see him I’m always impressed, I do like matip but he’s not the bc we need at this current time. Kamil glik is a leader and organiser. For those who haven’t seen him, he plays in the same mould as terry and vidic. Seriously underrated player because he is a polish international and plays for torino.

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Well i can’t see any new players going on the plane this weekend, then again i already know that, what a load of rubbish.

• 19 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM

ronaldo aarons
    If you want to talk CB’s in Italy that we’ll never get , try stefan van vrij from lazio

• 20 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Welshie
    I think that comment may come back and bite you in the ass

• 21 ronaldo aarons // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Jib
    What do you mean never get? And you mean de vrij? He is totally out of reach as it’ll cost 15-20 million pounds at least.

• 22 welshgeordie9 // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Jib

i don’t see anything happening, might get the two players but not this weekend.

• 23 welshgeordie9 // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:40 PM

If we do i will run around newcastle naked, that’s what i think of our chances.

Ha ha ha

• 24 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Liked how we had an open training session so much more welcome from Pardews board up the training sessions to hide the fact he did not have a clue !!

Still no players signed though !?!?!

• 25 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:46 PM

lcbp

that was hilarious as if the other 19 pl managers couldn’t suss out our one and only tactic.

• 26 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:47 PM

@Rotonda

Yeah boarded it up and then played the exact same team with the exact same tactics as before what a plumb !!

• 27 Chaz // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Maybe Blackie needs to put the frighteners on Penfold. If anyone needs livening up and ‘motivating’ in the ‘back-office’; it’s him…

…problem is that he’s so far out of his depth that he’ll not be able to relate to anything Blackie says to him…

…goodbye, you ARE the weakest link.

• 28 Whumpie // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Sounds like a good appointment to me. Hope he can deal with floppy-haired foreigners with balls the size of chickpeas…

• 29 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM

OP

from earlier… Harry who? the answer is no anyway.

• 30 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Firebug

He added me on Instagram same time as you, NUFC fan. For some reason thought it was your youngin.

• 31 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Nah mate my kids call Damien. I have loads added me too don’t know any of them.

• 32 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:29 PM

I usually call my son Damien firebug Damien the omen though 🙂

• 33 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I see Alnwicks trial at Leeds went well. Released already.

• 34 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Firebug

Must be the AO lot..

Weirdos 😉

• 35 SUTTY1978 // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Just got an advert up on here for John carvers hotel http://www.johncarverinn.com/?source=Googleinnnamename&gclid=CLfY8IvnzsYCFSXHtAodx9oIzg

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:51 PM

International Modern Language Linguist/Lecturer. (or as most know him on here – Jibberish the blog pest).
    You should be aware that there are sometimes several meanings for words.
    The Dutch word vilder – normally means skinner – however an alternative translation – is “knacker”. (both originating from the horse knacking industry).
    You have failed the liguistics test.
    Wat een vilder (what a knacker)

Hahahaha ——–get in!!

• 37 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM

OP / Belfast

My son defiantly lives up to his name, but he’s a kind lad really, I mean look he even loaned me his 666.

• 38 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

To be fair, he doesn’t look owa scary on here, maybe he just had a hard paper round the last couple of years

• 39 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Been reading the minutes from the fans forum meeting and I have to ask. What the hell is the point of the fans forum?

When questions are asked surely if only out of respect they should be answered.

How can anyone look to the future without examining the mistakes of the past?

Just because we have new staff at the club does not mean that those sitting above will not repeat the mistakes of the last couple of seasons.

As for those FF members who are suppose to represent the fans, why do they just accept what the club say without question? Why are none of them fitted with the ba11s to demand answers? And why was the questions about the failed FF meeting that was suppose to happen before the seasons ended not even asked?

Total and utter waste of time and effort.

Charnley was there, it was the perfect time to get some real answers, now it’s an opportunity missed.

• 40 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Surely knacker in this context is testicle ?
    Whatever
    Sheeit you are dragging me down to your level

• 41 Sazzer // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM

SUTTY1978 lol

• 42 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:21 PM

French journos…

“Bilzo Mercato ?@BilzoMercato 12m12 minutes ago
    Aleksandar Mitrovic sera un joueur de Newcastle la saison prochaine.”

“Bilzo Mercato BilzoMercato 12m12 minutes ago
    Aleksandar Mitrovic will be a Newcastle player next season.”

Don’t shoot the messenger, haven’t a clue who he is or how reliable he is…

• 43 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM

I can well believe most of our lot were scared to death if he mentioned words like ‘ trying’ and ‘effort’. Alright that’s a bit harsh. They were probably just worried.

• 44 Noel Worst // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM

ITKs are taking the absolute piss out of the neurotic, insecure portion of NUFCs fanbase. Stringing them all along and they believe each and every time. It’s pathetic on both their parts.

• 45 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM

has TFL been about

• 46 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Noel Worst

You’re right, can see them pop up under his tweets in the comments ‘how likely?’ etc.

I just have no clue whether this is a recognised french publication or if it is just a spotty kid.

Admittedly rather naive on the french journalism front.

• 47 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Ugh, still nothing? I’m starting to just not care anymore.

What time is the game tomorrow vs Gateshead?

• 48 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM

beer

Not seen owt, hopefully he is resting and recovering.

• 49 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM

YoungMagpie

8pm kick off mate

• 50 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM

firebug

hope he is ok

• 51 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:31 PM

beer

me too mate, I’m sure he will be though.

• 52 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Firebug

Cheers mate, do you think it will be streamed? I doubt it myself. Might have to read Lee Ryders commentary like last year!

• 53 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM

firebug

he is prob just out of it on morphine

• 54 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM

YoungMagpie

If I find a stream tomorrow I will post a link here, doubt that there will be one, but might get local radio coverage of the match.

Flash scores may have a text coverage too.

• 55 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM

youngmagpie

It will tell you on NUFC.COM

In their pre game analysis they always tell you whether its on UK TV, Overseas TV or any radio channels.

If it’s on foreign TV there’ll be a stream somewhere.

• 56 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM

I completely agree Noel. I was so embarrassed I had to leave twitter.

It’s not kids too it’s actually grown men.

• 57 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM

beer

Lucky lad wish I could get some, at least until we make some signings. lol

• 58 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM

fortiter defendit triumphans. Anybody ever mentioned that before? I think we need a competition for a new club motto. I don’t really like “Cras Jam” but it’s a starting point. Although seeing as the Geordies owe a lot to their Danish roots, perhaps we should have “Jam I Morgen”? Has a ring to it doncha think?

Jeff don’t post any more of your Google translate Dutch please.

• 59 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Ok thanks guys, just want to watch some football.

• 60 Tsunki // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Ymfl – don’t we all sunshine, don’t we all…haven’t watched any football for two seasons now…

• 61 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Tsunki

We already have a new club motto..”Profit before Ambition”.

Oh all for the love of a balance sheet!

• 62 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:40 PM

firebug

it is nice stuff

• 63 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Tsunki

Hahaha, true…true! 🙂

• 64 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM

beer

I don’t know mate, last time I was on morphine it was after they had been prodding about with my spine, I don’t really remember that much, but I do recall trying to pick the colourful shapes of my blanket to give to my kids to take home…lol

• 65 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:44 PM

“Reduced 70% off” Skunki.

• 66 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:45 PM

firebug

lol
    I just remember felling everything was great and going to sleep

• 67 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM

“who dares gets relegated “

• 68 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM

beer

I sorta remember (it was a long time ago) but it was a bit like being detached from everything else around you, something like being in your own little bubble, I was aware of what was around me, but was totally unconcerned about it all. One thing was for certain, I was not in pain. lol

• 69 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Tsunki don’t tell me what to do thankyou
    I know you and a few others (the text gang – ha ha ha ) think you own the site.But ya divvent.
    You no likee You no readee

• 70 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM

International linguist.
    I will not argue that instead of a knacker (a person who knacks horses) that you are a testicle (as you have suggested yourself).

A self confessed knacker!!!
    Wat een vilder.
    Hahahaha.
    Get in………again!!!! Double whammy!!

• 71 Belfast // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Firebug I think I would enjoy morphine

• 72 Sazzer // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:52 PM

What do advanced transfer talks with Steve McClaren looks like? Here’s is the answer:

• 73 Jib // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM

G2 must be watching El Salvador v Canada

• 74 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Belfast

Probably, but I would not wish the reasons for it on anyone.

But a few ampoules during the transfer window could work wonders.

• 75 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM

firebug

prob better sticking with the beer I have or I will end up on the streets very very happy but rather smelly

• 76 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM

beer

PMSL: Now look what we have done, half the fans will be self admitted into various hospitals around the region tonight, all suffering excruciating pain.

• 77 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Shit, we’re gonna sign a Dutch player and everyone’s discussing the merits of drugs.

What next ladies of the night?

I’m sure he’s not from Amsterdam lads 🙂

• 78 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Tsunki

Don’t post full stop would of been more apt.

• 79 Noel Worst // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Only Latin phrases that could make for a motto I know off the top of my head are:

Dum spiro spero – while I breathe, I hope (no idea why I remember this or where I first encountered it).

Per aspera ad astra – to the stars through difficulties (this is a NASA motto).

Belfast

Yeah it’s weird behaviour for grown-ups, hang on the ITKs every word, whip themselves up into angry frenzies day after day, then sulk blaming the club for not making good on their tormentors tales.

I just sit back listen to some Funkadelic/Parliament and take it easy, there’s nothing I can do other than wait!

• 80 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:00 PM

firebug

just explain ur a Newcastle fan how could they refuse

• 81 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:01 PM

OP

It’s just an exploratory venture to find the best way to navigate the NUFC transfer windows.

Beer is an expensive way unless you brew your own (like me 😀 ).

• 82 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM

beer

See I knew you would have the answer. just popping out lads bbs. lol

• 83 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Talking of drugs, perhaps Jeffery could enlighten us. Probably the only thing he’d talk sense about.

Belling.

• 84 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:05 PM

prime

what do you know of ladies of the night
    I my self know not a lot but have found myself in a brothel or 2 very drunk whilst on holiday
    thankfully I am to tight to partake in there services

• 85 optimistic prime // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Firebug

Do what I do, look at other teams signings and poo poo them.
    Makes me feel much better.

For instance the mackems have just signed Virgini because he played the required amount of games to make it permanent, and he’s up for sale already.

A week, he had a contract a week and he’s on the out list lol

You couldn’t make that up 🙂

• 86 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Oops. Jeffrey just blew himself up.

Tsunki asked Jeffery but jib who isn’t Jeffery then replied. Talk about testicles….your a full blown elephant sack.

• 87 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2015 at 10:11 PM

OP

I’ll give it a try.

So we have given up on Austin, were we ever really in for him?

Yohan Kebab is having a medical in the Palace, did we ever want the treacherous little tw@ back?

Nothing to see here move along.

previous post: Big Breakthrough Possible – But It Will Be Tough