The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Agree Fee And Five Year Contract For Mitrovic

8:53 am, Friday, July 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

News in Belgium on that Newcastle have agreed a fee for Aleksandar Mitrovic and have offered a five year deal to the 20 year-old Serbian International striker.

They are not sure what the transfer fee is but think it is close to the €17M-€18M Anderlecht had wanted for their striker.

Aleksandar Mitrovic 98

Aleksandar Mitrovic – close to signing five year deal

They report that according to the information they have, Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic will almost certainly sign a contract for five years at Newcastle.

The good news is that this publication has been first with most of the news about Newcastle going after Mitrovic and it looks like Newcastle have coughed up between £12M and £12.8M to get their man.

If thew deal goes through that would be the biggest fee Newcastle have paid under owner Mike Ashley and beats the £10.3 we paid to Deportivo for Coloccini back in August of 2008.

One of the big doubts we had about Mitrovic is that he has said more than once that he wants to play Champions League football, and he will not get that at Newcastle.

But if Lee Charnley can pull this deal off it will be  coup for Newcastle and remember this lad is still only 20 years old.

The report suggests in the meeting that took place yesterday between his agents and Newcastle,  the talks picked up some significant momentum, and their sources close to the deal even expect a signing this week.

Maybe Aleksandar could even be on the plane to the USA on Sunday?

Here’s hoping.

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

33 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM

    its official on PSV site – WIJNALDUM 😀 😀

  • 2 Toon_Tom // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:55 AM

    now we’re moving….

    I’m hearing that Wijnaldum is on route for a medical n’all”””

  • 3 cyprus // Jul 10, 2015 at 8:59 AM

    Look at the mood swing in a few minutes now, and then back if there are any setbacks.

  • 4 Toon_Tom // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM

    cyprus – thats what makes it so exciting, isnt it, maybe, i think, ermmmm 😉

  • 5 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:02 AM

    Well, well well, it looks like Ashley has crumbled under the newly found respect he has for Newcastle fans. Your threats NOT to renew season tickets looks as though it has forced Ashley to actually give you a team.

  • 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM

    Let’s hope both these reports are accurate. Would be two good signings. Still need width – personally I’d want Matty Phillips not Thauvin, and at minimum 1 centre half. That is without any key departures. If Cisse departs then another striker is a must.

  • 7 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM

    It could be a massive sigh of relief all round. We certainly couldn’t get on the plane to America without getting back some ‘bedding in’ players. Here’s hoping that not only does this all go through but that there might be a few to follow PLUS some summary executions.

  • 8 cyprus // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM

    That’s the nature of the beast re this team. I don’t mind it. Fans expect the best and the worst at NUFC.

    CL here we come 😉

  • 9 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:05 AM

    Itunderashell- exactly. The only naysayers were the ones who said protesting didn’t do any good, or that season tickets were ‘small potatoes; to Ashley. The real optimists are the ones who backed the protests and the ones who decided not to renew. HWTF!

  • 10 mickalfas // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:06 AM

    I hope this is true and get massive sell on clauses in the contracts
    2 CB’s now,ideally tomorrow
    Go to Aymen and convince him to come ,abit of ambition will go a long way to convince him

  • 11 deeps // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM

    Yeaaa..wijanldum mitrovic and 1 quality cb.. Get in

  • 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM

    Any chance of getting these over the elusive line before we go to ‘murica?

  • 13 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM

    Is the blog about to explode into life? Cue the ‘I told you so’ mob.

  • 14 croftus5678 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM

    @6 lilong

    whoohoo at last something to look forward to !

    aye hope nothing goes wrong ! it shouldnt but with our club i think it has us all fearing the worst.

    wijy can play in centre or right of midfield/attack as far as i’m aware ! will be hard to find a place for him and siem in the same team but if they do what a team we would have in the makings 🙂

  • 15 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:10 AM

    we dont need to sell Cisse, we should keep him in the team this season…Cisse,Mitrovic,Perez,Riviere can be good strikeforce this season…and behind them have players like S.De Jong,Wijnaldum,Sissoko,Cabella,Aarons…sounds good with this two new players, of course we first need to get them over the magical line 😀
    and then we have to bring CB—Matip,Abdennour or somebody highly rated, who can be commanding CB

  • 16 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:10 AM

    ‘According to our information, Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic will almost certainly agree a contract for five seasons at Newcastle.

    Yesterday you could read in this newspaper that Anderlecht and Newcastle were at the table about Mitrovic . Yesterday, the case gathered momentum.

    Sources close to the case expect the deal still to be agreed this week (today) .

    The specific amount that Anderlecht will eventually land for the Serbian striker is not known, though Herman Van Holsbeeck (Anderlecht General Manager) has always said he would stick to the transfer of 17 to 18 million euros.’

    – See more at:

  • 17 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:10 AM

    I’m more relieved that we’ll see the back of the players they are replacing. Or that there’ll now be serious competition for some places.

  • 18 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:11 AM

    Toon fans, Riviere will have to go unless he’s going to revert to a deep lying role.

  • 19 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:12 AM

    I like the look of the Cameroon CB we are linked with, he looks like a real player and comfortable on the ball to boot.

  • 20 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:12 AM

    Newcastle United, PSV Eindhoven ‘agree deal’ over Georginio Wijnaldum
    Georginio Wijnaldum of the Netherlands celebrates scoring his team’s third goal during the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Third Place Playoff on July 12, 2014© Getty Images
    By Danielle Joynson, Staff Reporter
    Filed: Friday, July 10, 2015 at 08:57 UK
    Last Updated: Friday, July 10, 2015 at 08:57 UK
    PSV Eindhoven have suggested that a deal is close to being agreed with Newcastle United regarding the sale of midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum.

    The 24-year-old is believed to be new head coach Steve McClaren’s top target in the summer transfer window.

    Reports have claimed that the Magpies are willing to pay a fee of around £16m for Wijnaldum, but PSV did not mention a number when they confirmed via Twitter that the midfielder has been given permission to discuss personal terms and have a medical at St James’ Park.

    Earlier this week, McClaren revealed that he wants three or four new signings to arrive in the North East in time for the new Premier League season on August 8.

    Anderlecht’s Aleksandar Mitrovic is also believed to be close to joining the club.

  • 21 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM

    Riviere as 4th choice can be good, we arent Barca, especially if we will play on 1 striker…and no.10 will be SDJ and two wingers or AM

  • 22 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:14 AM

    The 24-year-old PSV captain has been given permission to finalise negotiations over a move to St James’ Park and become Steve McClaren’s first summer signing

    PSV have confirmed that Georginio Wijnaldum has been given permission to leave the club’s pre-season preparations and complete talks and a medical with Newcastle as he nears a move to St James’ Park.

    Steve McClaren was hopeful of completing a deal for the PSV captain despite seeing local rivals Sunderland fail with an earlier bid and they are now closing in on the capture of the Netherlands international.

    “PSV are nearing an agreement with Newcastle United and Wijnaldum has been given permission to finalise negotiations and undergo a medical examination,” the club tweeted on Friday.

    Wijnaldum told PSV he wanted a move to St James’ Park after talking to close friend and Newcastle midfielder Vurnon Anita and he is now set to travel to England to seal the move.

    Goal understands Newcastle have made an offer in the region of £13 million (€18m) for Wijnaldum, with club director Lee Charnley working to broker the deal during the week.

    New Newcastle manager Steve McClaren confirmed on Thursday the club were closing in on a first summer signing, telling reporters: “Believe me, there is a massive willingness from the club to spend.

    “I’ve come in and looked at the plan, looked at the calibre of players we’re targeting and said ‘wow’.”

    Newcastle are also understood to be in talks to sign Florian Thauvin, Joel Matip and Charlie Austin

  • 23 albertluque92 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM

    excited for mitrovic, more so than austin, just think that mitrovic has 5 years to reach the same level as austin and will be able to do that and surpass him potentially.
    I dont think there is much point in going for austin unless riviere or cisse is sold, which i would be happy about obviously. The only reason i would want cisse or riviere sold if austin and mitrovic came in would be so that ayoze still got game time, would hate to see him have playtime reduced because cisse and riviere were on the pitch.
    Still worried about centre back as well, the notion of williamson and coloccini lining up at centre back for us in august seemed untenable in May but is looking a more and more likely possibility. I dont agree with people saying colo, mike and steve should all be sold though, granted i think theyre all barely prem standard but thats just too much unrest for one season, the defence is so much about understanding it would be counter productive to rip it all out in one transfer window, that has often been the downfall of most clubs (Fulham springs to mind most recently)

  • 24 croftus5678 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM

    @18 tsunki

    i think the same ! he should go

    i cant see the club doing that though tbh esp after 1 season and a 6mil fee they will want to recoup some of that imo.

    perez/arma will def stay

    if anything i’m thinking goofy will be out in the cold seeing as he was bought as a striker.

  • 25 Jib // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM

    Rumours in Spain that the delays to the Nicolas Otamendi transfer to Man U from Valencia is because we have jumped in .
    He is a big pal of Colo and worked with Ian Cathro.

  • 26 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM

  • 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM

    Get our Newcastle Airport correspondent/footballer spotter on the case to see if anyone comes in!
    Or the Ashley helicopter

  • 28 pawl250 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM

    If we can get Mitrovic and Wjnaldum, I will be pleased.

    YET we still need two centre backs.

    Get rid of some of the dead weight like Riviere, Obertan, Williamson, Cisse

    I personally would love to sign Austin, Mitrovic, Wjnaldum, and two centre backs.

    Ok its an expensive window but we would have a cracking team providing we get the right centre backs.

    ——————– Krul
    Janmaat- ?????? – ?????? – Dummett
    Sissoko – Wjnaldum – De Jong – Aarons
    ———- Austin – Mitrovic

    Subs – Darlow, Coloccini, Anita, Tiote, Colback, Cabella, Perez

    Then you have likes of Haidara, Abeid, Lascelles STaylor, Gouffran, Good, Bigirmana, Satka, Armstrong behind these players.

    Vuckic, Ferguson and Marveaux can go back out on loan for final years.

  • 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM

    I think the signing of Wijnaldum spells the end of Sissoko here. It is Sissoko more than anyone that I see Wijnaldum as a direct competitor for. From reports I’ve read Wijnaldum was wary of being in competition with De Jong for a starting spot, so he must have had those fears allayed, so for me it is Sissoko that will miss out – particularly if we get a new wide player in as well.

  • 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM

    I hope Riviere goes, but can’t see anyone buying him, or matching the £0/40k he will be on a week. Maybe he will end up being another Luque/Xisco who both had better Premier league goalscoring records and end up seeing out his contract through a variety of loans.

  • 31 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:22 AM

  • 32 Moonraker15 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM

    Wow! something’s happening at the sleeping giant !

  • 33 Moonraker15 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM

    So, fan power lives eh ?

previous post: McClaren – One Or Two Positions Need to Be Filled Desperately

next post: Wijnaldum To Have Medical After Fee And Terms Agreed