The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Wijnaldum To Have Medical After Fee And Terms Agreed

9:14 am, Friday, July 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 70 Comments

News coming in from PSV that their captain 24-year-old Georginio Wijnaldum has been given permission to have a medical which if successful will complete his move to Newcastle United.

georginio wijnaldum close up -psv-eindhoven_3277644

Georginio Wijnaldum – to have Newcastle medical

This is the Tweet the PSV club have sent out:

“PSV are nearing an agreement with Newcastle United and Wijnaldum has been given permission to finalize negotiations and undergo a medical examination,”

In order to have a medical it means that Newcastle have both agreed a fee with PSV for the talented midfielder, and also have agreed terms with Georginio – so this is looking really good.

However Sky Sports is reporting it’s their understanding that no fee has been agreed yet but that Wijnaldum has left his hotel in France and is on his way to Newcastle to have his medical.

It’s understood that Wijnaldum told PSV that he wanted to move to Newcastle, and it looks like Vurnon Anita, who is said to be a close friend convinced him to move.

Well done Anita.

And with the news we are very close to signing Aleksandar Mitrovic, with the latest news from Belgium today saying we have offered him a five year deal – both players could be on the plane to America on Sunday.

That would be something.

But it’s starting to look like that is very possible – obviously Lee Charnley has had those four cups of very strong Italian coffee we talked about yesterday.

If Lee can pull off these two deals it will be massive for him and massive for Newcastle United.

70 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Don’t think it says terms agreed yet Ed

• 2 Jib // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Rumours in Spain that the delays to the Nicolas Otamendi transfer to Man U from Valencia is because we have jumped in .
    He is a big pal of Colo and worked with Ian Cathro.

• 3 pawl250 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:19 AM

If we can get Mitrovic and Wjnaldum, I will be pleased.

YET we still need two centre backs.

Get rid of some of the dead weight like Riviere, Obertan, Williamson, Cisse

I personally would love to sign Austin, Mitrovic, Wjnaldum, and two centre backs.

Ok its an expensive window but we would have a cracking team providing we get the right centre backs.

——————– Krul
    Janmaat- ?????? – ?????? – Dummett
    Sissoko – Wjnaldum – De Jong – Aarons
    ———- Austin – Mitrovic

Subs – Darlow, Coloccini, Anita, Tiote, Colback, Cabella, Perez

Then you have likes of Haidara, Abeid, Lascelles STaylor, Gouffran, Good, Bigirmana, Satka, Armstrong behind these players.

Vuckic, Ferguson and Marveaux can go back out on loan for final years.

• 4 SuperShearer // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Jib, while I love the idea of of Otamendi coming here I’m pretty sure his asking price is through the roof and why would he come here over Utd? That would be a first. Would love it to be true but there’s another rumour that we’re pouncing on a left-back Utd and Chelski were after. This is surely agents using our name and knowledge that we’re after certain positions to speed up bids from other clubs.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Croftus,
    I think the signing of Wijnaldum spells the end of Sissoko here. It is Sissoko more than anyone that I see Wijnaldum as a direct competitor for. From reports I’ve read Wijnaldum was wary of being in competition with De Jong for a starting spot, so he must have had those fears allayed, so for me it is Sissoko that will miss out – particularly if we get a new wide player in as well.

30Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Tsunki,
    I hope Riviere goes, but can’t see anyone buying him, or matching the £0/40k he will be on a week. Maybe he will end up being another Luque/Xisco who both had better Premier league goalscoring records and end up seeing out his contract through a variety of loans.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Just spotted I have Rivi on between £0 and £40k a week. Ha, he is probably worth closer to nothing, but it was meant to say £30/40k

• 7 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Jib, Otamendi would be too much, but if this can happen, I would love it…maybee LB is Jetro Willems 😀 😀 only joking, I will be happy with Wijnaldum,Mitrovic and Matip…and then maybee one or two more of the same quality….

• 8 croftus5678 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM

….hmmm just thinking how we may play atm.

————–krul—————
    jan—-colo—sayl—–dum
    —-siss—-wij—rola——–
    ————siem—————
    ——-mit—–ciss————

its pretty obv now the weak area.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Colo and saylor. Urgh. My eyes!

• 10 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Cisse deadweight? 😐

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Crftus,
    If Colo and Saylor are our centre halves, then Tiote has to start. Aarons can’t play that role either, it is a waste of a player.

• 12 MrMojoRisin76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM

JeffsInventedBollox
    That is both the funniest and stupidest comment i have seen in a long time,well done son.

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I’m hoping we don’t need to start with at least two of those at the back.

• 14 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM

with Mitrovic we will have finally some power and heading ability in box…i love it, Matip is 6 ft 4 in….so I think SM identified our weaknesses well…

• 15 lochinvar // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM

McLaren : “We have got one or two positions we need to fill desperately, so we might need to buy about four or five – that would be great – but if not, we’ll just have to wait.”

Is he talking about the Board or the team ?

Guess if this mornings latest news is good then he’s talking about the team.

That still leaves three more players to arrive if my maths serves me well.

• 16 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I don’t think Cisse will get in this team.

• 17 toonfan76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Morning fellow fans. Haven’t been posting on here for a long while but thought I would jump in now saying as we seem to be actually doing something of note in the transfer window. Just wondering if any of you think that this new board of directors ( including the head coach) have given this club (and Ashley) a much needed kick up the rear. I personally think it may be the influence of our head coach.

• 18 croftus5678 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:29 AM

@5 lilong

i think sissoko is a great player if played in cm but i do agree everything seems right for him to leave without being missed at all now !

we have more effective players than him in his natural possition and tbf he would never be first choice there !

add to the fact that “throw your cash around” liverpool are after him and knowing them we could almost double what we paid for wij 😉 it makes sense.

he will want reg first team also for his international career.

• 19 Jib // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Why have a pop at me !
    Have a pop at Estudio Estadio if you must have a pop

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:31 AM

With team improvement I think you’ll find Cisse would be an asset to the forward line once again. There are good reasons why Cisse banged them in for fun one season but then didn’t appear the next.

• 21 mickalfas // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Croftus
    KK would be proud of that line up
    We’ll try to out score you
    Come on Penfold ,nows not the time for the feignt of heart ,get the defence sorted now!

• 22 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Jeff don’t go dropping that lit match in the box of dynamite. I hope you never joined in criticism of Ed for posting all sorts of rubbish from the web….

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Croftus,
    I personally don’t think Sissoko is all that. He is a powerful runner, but has little else to his game. His shooting is more hopeful than accurate, his tackling in non existent, marking is shocking and his range of passing is limited to say the least. The only position I’d see him playing here now is out wide on the right, and I’d much prefer to have a proper wide man out there then someone who gets in by default.

If he were to levee, I’d expect a replacement to come in, maybe not like for like positionally, but still a player in, probably out wide – meaning I’d want 2 wide players in.

• 24 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I think we will play 1 striker and 3 AM behind him…croftus you have all players in midfield attack minded…there has to be some balance…
    janmaat,matip,colo,haidara
    ….wijnaldum….anita……….
    sissoko…..de jong…..aarons
    …………….mitrovic……………
    ……………………………………..
    ???,s.taylor,lascelles,dumett
    ………..tiote…..colback………
    perez……marveaux….cabella
    …………….cisse………………….
    ……………………………………….
    but if we bring one extra quality CB, it will be brilliant

• 25 will die for the toon army // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:35 AM

With Wijnaldum and Mitrovic coming next step is a CB.
    1.CB
    2. Wijnaldum
    3. Mitrovic
    4. That Ajax Kid
    5. The Northampton kid

There goes ur 5 signings. 3 first team, 2 development.

• 26 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Krul
    Colo ????
    Janmaat Haidara
    Colback
    Anita Wijn
    SDJ Aarons
    Mitrovic

• 27 Jib // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Tsunki I think Ed does a sterling job.
    That rumour is from a Spanish TV footy magazine I was listening to earlier.
    As many have said before , people are too quick to shoot the messenger.

• 28 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Sweet, pleased that worked. FFS.

• 29 toonfan76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM

On Matip, has it all gone quiet with his possible transfer? Maybe if we get our first 2 signings in, that may show Matip that we have the ambition to move forward and he is an important part of the progression process. If a player truly feels wanted and can see genuine attempts to succeed, the that may just be enough to convince him to sign.

• 30 Offkey // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

If we buy some players and get some competition for places we may even be able to start putting team sheets up again! 😉

• 31 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

………………..Krul
    ………..Colo …….????
    Janmaat …………….Haidara
    …………….Colback
    ………… Anita….. Wijn
    ………..SDJ……….. Aarons
    ……………. Mitrovic

• 32 optimistic prime // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I’m not having Buck’s Fizz for breakfast.

I’ll wait until the inks dry on the contract and the lads are pictured at SJP in Black n White.

On that, Ed get that pic of Windi in a red n white strip down. Away strip or Dutch strip will do fine, thank you.

• 33 mickalfas // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Toonfan
    I would like to think the fans unrest,lack of ST sales,demonstrations,etc what’s made all this happen imo
    HWTF

• 34 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM

if you look at his game, who would you like here more? Mitrovic or Austin?
    I am for Mitrovic

• 35 toonfan76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Are these marquee players to sell season tickets and then it’s back to the norm? Or is our new head coach going to push for more 10m plus players to really give us something to get excited about when the season starts! We live in hope.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Here’s hoping !

• 37 beermonkey // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Lilongwe

think ur right about sissoko going if wijnaldium comes in
    but on riviere I don’t think he has a value unless he goes back to france
    but he has some good attributes I think some time with black and some shooting coaching could see him become a useful squad player
    McLaren favours a 433 and rivieres best pos is wide left
    if we are going to take cups seriously and rotate the squad properly he could prove to be useful
    I would like to see get another year with us

• 38 why oh why // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM

This will now open the floodgates,
    very very happy with this bloke , top quality player, get rid of the heartless sissyoko now,
    if we can get the Slovenian in and a CB plus extras that wll be tops. palace now after Austin player plus cash deal.

• 39 albertluque92 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Toonfan8

Im more of a mitrovic fan though i would take either, having watched some videos this morning a lot of his chances do seem to come from absolutely torrid defending but his headed goals and finishing seem great, albeit we havent watched him all season and cant say for how many goals hes scored how many times has he raked it wide or been indecisive and lost possession.

He is only 20 though, now is definitely the time for a step up

• 40 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:48 AM

OK Jeff you’re off the hook on that one. And at least we’ve established once and for all you’re actually Jeff. Welcome back.

• 41 mickalfas // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Toonfan76
    For me it depends on who we get rid of ,if we sell Cisse ,Sissoko and Tiote ,not a forward move
    If we get rid of the shit what we have ,happy days!

• 42 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Looking forward to Blackley’s take on this. I recall something about real fans keep going to matches, buying season tickets, not protesting?

Not going along with that rationale is precisely the kick up the a*** this lot required.

• 43 NezzaNUFC // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Looks to me that a narrow 4-2-3-1 could be the new style of formation SM will develop at the toon

Krull
    Janmaat, Collo, Saylor, Hidaira
    Sissoko, Colback/Anita
    GW, SDJ, Cabella
    Perez

GW, SDJ and Cabella are known as playmakers and also have a knack for goals, could be something special here.

• 44 Tsunki // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I have a gut feeling the idea all along is sissoko getting his dream move, whatever that is.

• 45 toonfan76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:52 AM

So do we think SM is trying to get players to suit a style of play he thinks we want to see or to a style that he wants to play? As long as there are no more square pegs in round holes, that would be a refreshing change.

• 46 Toonfan8 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:52 AM

albertluque92
    I agree with you, in 20 he has a lot of great aspects in his game. He had great games vs Arsenal and Dortmund in CL last year. For me, he is the best option right now, tall,strong and it seems SM wants to play this type upfront…and Cisse isnt the right type to play this way…but he will be good if we will play 2 upfront…so i think SM has a clear vision of how he want team to play and want right players to that system and these two lads seems to be the bone of his system Wijnaldum and Mitrovic…and of course we need CB, tall,commanding one.

• 47 why oh why // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM

after watching mitrovic te be fair I would rather have him than Austin younger better sell on value , and Christ he is strong

• 48 richyg01 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM

WIJNALDUM BID ACCEPETED

It seems as though another big deal could be done soon as Sky sources understand PSV have accepted a bid in the region of £14.5m for Newcastle for Georginio Wijnaldum.

It is thought that he will undergo a medical on Tyneside this afternoon.

• 49 deeps // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Don’t think sissoko will this season cz if he doesn’t get enough game time then he will miss out on the European championship

• 50 NezzaNUFC // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM

toonfan76

SM will probably set up Newcastle to play a 4-3-3 then converts into a wide 4-2-3-1 when attacking!

plan A and B there, he did this at Derby with Hughes being the central mid pushing into AMC.

this could even convert into a narrow 4-2-3-1, Newcastle strength have always been through the middle when scoring goals.

• 51 richyg01 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Nice to see Cabs back in the PL, have to admit I am a little Jelous coz he can be a brilliant player on his day.

• 52 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Great news.

I’d like to keep Sissoko but something tells me with his patter and outbursts he’s off.

Howay Toon get the other positions filled.

Is it true on this Mitrovic also? Who has reported this?

Great news to wake up to!

• 53 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Lets see how this all pan out!

…regardless I would still like to know what the hold up has been from our part and what we have gained from that!

• 54 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Ashley out.

• 55 stan anderson // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I am off to buy me S.T.
    What time does S.Direct open today? am ganna get some gear to wear as well.
    Ashley IN.

• 56 NezzaNUFC // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:58 AM

pretty amusing how I stated 3 weeks ago that Newcastle will be making offers on players!

Just saying lol 😉

• 57 toonfan76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM

mickalfas

I agree with what your saying about Cisse in particular, in an organised side he could still bang em in for us. Chance creation will improve and we know he is a great poacher of goals, if his confidence is still there he will be back to his best, fitness permitting.

• 58 mickalfas // Jul 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Tsunki
    A bit more ambit ambition and Sissoko might not want to leave

Really hoping that Cabella realizes his potential, and Lascelles turns out to be fantastic
    Fingers crossed

• 59 NezzaNUFC // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM

I feel a bit sorry for Cabaye, Palace = Pardew?

Now I feel sorry for the Palace fans!

• 60 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM

The backroom staff that we heard Ashley was too tight to sack have been sacked. Why? We hear it’s because McClaren forced him.

The backroom staff that we heard Ashley was too tight to appoint have been appointed. Why? We hear it’s because McClaren forced him.

The players that Ashley was too tight to buy “might” now be bought. Why? We hear it’s because fans who wouldn’t renew season tickets forced him.

Ashley said he was going to bolt the horse to the cart. He hasn’t done it yet. Even if he spends money will it be money wasted? Let’s calm down. Let’s wait and see.

• 61 toonfan76 // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Got to go guys, will try and show face a bit later if I get the chance, have to say it’s nice to see some positivity running through the blog for a change, let’s hope the club can keep the momentum going. Catch you all later. HWTL

• 62 NezzaNUFC // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Cabella will shine under SM, I think a lot of our players will develop better.

I think though that Cisse needs to make way for Mitrovic to come here.

Also I don’t know how Tiote fits into the bill now with Sissoko, Anita, Colback, SDJ, Cabella and GW in the frame now

• 63 will die for the toon army // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I wld keep Cisse than have Austin. Cisse is agood striker. He is no Messi. He needs assists to get his goals.

• 64 albertluque92 // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:08 AM

why oh why

Its a shame we have to think of young players as assets to be sold when they develop, If the club had their head screwed on like everton they would see young quality players as long term investments regardless, look at everton paying 28 mill for lukaku, a huge fee but they will have a solid 10 plus goalscorer for the next 10 years, only 2.8 million a season compared to riviere who has cost us 6-7 million for 1 goal.

Mitrovic and perez have the potential to be very, very good players and the partnership they could form may be incredible, all speculation but on paper it seems feasible. I would like cisse kept because at 30 he can be phased out over time while our two young uns develop into top players

• 65 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM

so is Siem de jong on his way out? they both play in the same position right?

• 66 will die for the toon army // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM

If I see the armband with Colo then defo he is staying. I think he will stay and become a coach. Like for the youth.

• 67 will die for the toon army // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:14 AM

albertluque92

You have to put that into consideration.

• 68 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Sissoko can go and use the money to bring in two REAL centre backs who are comfortable on the ball. Can see Wijnaldum and De Jong with Cabella behind Mitrovic causing nightmares for most teams.
    Anita sits in the hole between defence and midfield.

• 69 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM

The Dutch system is fluid and players move around.ilovetoon

• 70 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM

As reported by Belgian media outlet HLN, Anderlecht forward Aleksandar Mitrovic has agreed terms with Newcastle ahead of a summer transfer.

It is stated that he is ready to confirm a five-year contract with the club, with the transfer expected to be finalised this week.

The Tyneside club opened formal negotiations with Anderlecht yesterday, and it now appears as if a deal is just days from being completed. In the report is states that the deal could be completed this week, although there are no references as to whether the Magpies have had an offer accepted by his current club.

With talks ongoing with the player before a transfer fee has actually been agreed, there is a chance that a deal could still stall, but the report suggests that a deal is close to being struck between the two clubs.