The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Tracking Top Dutch Defender

10:31 am, Saturday, July 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

The Chronicle is reporting today that Newcastle will again turn to Holland to shore up their central defense, and it-seems we will draw a blank on Schalke center-back Joel Matip, who doesn’t want to leave the German club this summer.

Joel has only one year left on his contract and put this out yesterday

“I am at home and can imagine playing here for a long time.” “I have one more year on my contract, which is for footballers always a long time, but I am confident that we can agree more.”

joel veltman

Joel Veltman – Ajax’ Dutch International center-back

Newcastle could go after  22 year-old Ajax center-back Joel Veltman, but there are some big clubs who have already been linked with him this summer.

Joel broke into the first team at Ajax three years ago and has since played 78 times with 6 goals for the Dutch powerhouse.

But with Manchester City, Arsenal, and Tottenham three clubs who are reportedly interested in the player, we would have no chance – if that’s the case.

Joel started his career at VV IJmuiden in his home town of Velsen before joining Ajax in 2001, and he came through the famous Youth Academy in Amsterdam.

He made his first team debut for Ajax in August, 2012, in the away match against N.E.C. in Nijmegen, coming on as a substitute and he’s been a first team regular ever since.

At 6 ft tall he’s not a particularly tall center-back, but is highly regarded in Holland and has 7 caps for Holland.

Veltman made his debut for Holland in November 2013 in the game against Colombia, and played the full 90 minutes in the 0–0 draw at the Amsterdam Arena.

He would be a good capture for the Magpies, but as we said bigger clubs than Newcastle are interested in him.

Newcastle were interested in Dutch center-back Virgil van Dijk last summer, and Graham Carr has tracked him since he was at Groningen, before he joined Celtic two years ago.

So we wonder is Newcastle have cooled their interested in the 6’4″ Dutch U21 defender?

Newcastle currently have five center-backs fit – Coloccini, Taylor, Lascelles, Williamson and Good – so some will need to leave if we do bring in two center-backs this summer.

What do you think?

Tags: Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Would be a great buy, but we need one more!

• 2 Partizan // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:35 AM

• 3 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Wijnaldum is confirmed!

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Newcastle tracking player who has no intention of coming

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Raphaël Guerreiro from Lorient would be a great call as well seeing as we can also play on the right.

Looked good for the Portugal U21!

• 6 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Yup Wijnaldum confirmed on club website

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Terence Kongolo would be a great buy as well I think – can play on the left if needed.

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Then move on Willo, Saylor and maybe even Colo.

• 9 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Richie Towell could be one of the bargains to make this transfer window. Would cost much…maybe he wouldn’t play much here either, but he could be loaned out to a Champ. side.

• 10 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM

The agent could have been in town for ANYONE yesterday. Mitrovic’s agent’s clients…

Mitrovic (obviously)
    Remy Cabella
    Florian Thauvin
    Yohan Cabaye
    Hatem Ben Arfa
    Emmanuel Rivière
    Mathieu Debuchy
    Moussa Sissoko

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM

• 12 nut meg // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Best bit of news for ages!

• 13 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Really pleased with that first signing! Sky Sports report that the fee was undisclosed too…
    I know some on here are questioning why we brought in another No. 10, however goals are only scored when you can create decent chances. I felt sorry for Perez last season, who was left to do all himself up front.
    If we back this up with a No. 9 and CB, we are sitting pretty for next season!

• 14 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:44 AM,,10278~13841932,00.jpg

• 15 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM

How about NUFC Supporters’ trust club together and purchase a 1-way ticket for Colo? Now that would be taking a pro-active stance on things!

• 16 optimistic prime // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM

At last,

• 17 Reyantoon // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM

wijnaldum completed.Now if we sign mitrovic,i will get drunk!!!!!

• 18 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Yay breakthrough finally….

• 19 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM

I reckon Wijnaldum is as good a reason as any to get drunk!
    It is the first permanent, first team signing we have made in a long time, and the first signing that has got fans excited in a long time!

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM

It said twenty million euros on that newsclip yesterday

• 21 rwpoynter // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Dear Ed,
    Having been perpetually critical of John Carver for the last few months, why are you advertising John Carver Inn and Spa at the top of your blogs??!!

• 22 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Have a hunch Serbian bloke is using us to get a move elsewhere. Doubt we’ll see him signing tbh

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Have you got a special brand of Khat for big signings.

• 24 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:52 AM

On Sky Sports? I am just looking at Transfer Center now, and I see they are reporting an undisclosed fee…
    Well, it was reckoned to be in the region of 15M pounds, so I guess that makes sense!

• 25 Toonfan8 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM

yes,yes Gini welcome to Toon…great player, I hope others will follow soon Mitrovic,Veltman…at least we want quality, not average players…we are now linked with players of quality for maybee Tottenham,Liverpool and I like it…

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM

It was on you tube on a Dutch sports show, I found it when I was trying to put the Wijnaldum pronunciation debate to bed.

• 27 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Aye they reckon 14-15 million.

• 28 Reyantoon // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM

jail…actually Ellaguru didn’t commented about any fee.It seems u didn’t read well though.
    sad state of affairs!!!

• 29 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Some nice investigative reporting there!

• 30 EllaGuru // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:57 AM

You are obviously drunk already!

• 31 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM

The asking price from PSV was always €21million
    I said 2 weeks ago that McClaren had told the club he was worth it and to pay it and Lo and Behold – BINGO

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:03 AM

It’s four o clock in Addis Ababa, by my reckoning you have been chomping on the Khat for three hours now. It is clouding your judgement.

• 33 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Wow. Another Dutch midfielder. That’s just what we needed. Let’s hope he can take the Premier League by storm just like Anita and De Jong have. The club continues to take the piss. We sign players nobody else has any interest in. Ashley out.

• 34 mickalfas // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Why do we have no chance ,he wouldn’t even have to speak English here
    The futures orange lol

• 35 Toonfan8 // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM

The overrated Frenchman, I feel mackem here 🙂 I really feel for you, that Gini choose Newcastle, as we are much bigger and better club…

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM

I think that’s a bit harsh, although they don’t deserve any medals it’s a step in the right direction.

• 37 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM

It should be welcomed. It’s long overdue though. It’s got to the stage where they really have to spend or the championship beckons. Lets hope more follow.

• 38 sportiquet5 // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Hate to say I told you so to be honest mitrovic is a bad apple and doesn’t want to play for us ,……. Next

• 39 optimistic prime // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Psv tweet NUFC fans, and share a vid.
    Quite classy on their part

• 40 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM

OK, I’m cynical, but I think I’m entitled to be. Let’s be honest, midfielders are a dime a dozen unless they are superstars. We desperately need a quality striker and one or two quality centre backs. Both those positions are harder to come by and cost more money. But lo and behold, we sign another midfielder. Soft option. Am I the only one who feels this? Ashley and his minions continue to do the absolute least possible for this club. And by the way, I think you’ll find that if I was a mackem I would make a lot more errors of spelling and punctuation than I do.

• 41 Moonraker15 // Jul 11, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Midfield players may well be ten a penny; but not those as good as GW! He is a top player rated best in Holland last year so I think you are way off on this one.

And it’s obvious to all that Ashley has released the purse strings; an attempt to buy Mitrovic is evidence.

I have been Ashley’s biggest critic and still am but credit when due.

Are you a rogue Mackem ?