The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wijnaldum – Newcastle Are Beautiful People – I Already Feel At Home

6:38 pm, Saturday, July 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 140 Comments

Georginio Wijnaldum has been interviewed by Press Association Sport, and he has said one of the reasons he signed on at Newcastle is the club showed very early on that they were very interested in him.

He’s also said he needs to learn some of that Geordie dialect – so he also seems a sensible lad.

georginio wijnaldum

Georginio Wijnaldum – Newcastle are beautiful people

The 24 year-old 19 times capped Dutch International is the first signing in the reign of Steve McClaren, and it’s the 3rd biggest fee in Newcastle’s history and thought to be around £14.5M.

Wijnaldum has signed a five-year deal and this is what he has told PA Sport:

“I’m feeling great because when I came to the club everyone was really kind, beautiful people and I’m already feeling at home,” “I have a lot of confidence that I can make the fans happy and that’s what I want to do.”

“I think I can bring goals and passion also, as I work hard and always want to do my best.” “Even if it looks like we’re not going to win I always try to find a solution to win games. I’m a fighter.”

“Newcastle showed very early they were interested in me,” “In the negotiations they showed good things and that’s why I chose them.” “I’ve spoken to someone who speaks a little bit of Geordie – but I must learn more!”

Georginio isn’t just a great guy and a first class player,  but he also has good leadership skills, and for the last two years he was captain of PSV.

So he could well be a future captain of Newcastle, and it will be interesting in pre-season if McClaren changes the captaincy – but we think he will keep Colo as captain for the  last year of his contract.

With Siem de Jong, the former Ajax captain also at Newcastle, Steve could take a close look at both players this season,  to see who could take over from Colo next summer.

Both Dutchmen are skillful and will offer real leadership on and off the filed, and that’s something we were missing big time last season.

What do you think?

Tags: Contracts · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

140 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Tuffty Duck
    G Wijnaldum = G widdy

• 2 check the toastie // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Unsure about whether siem dejong is the real deal, I actually think Perez may warrant his place at some point this season. Hes clever but lacks pace, Jon Dahl Thomason I reckon..

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I’m sure mitrovic could get fitted for a decent beer coat to keep the chill of the north east at bay.

• 4 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:44 PM

He’s singing the praises now
    However tonight on the quayside could change everything
    He’s staying in the Gateshead Hilton

• 5 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Munster in all fairness we’ve signed one player. We’ve spent the last 7-8 years hoaking the bins outside asda. Everyone is pleased with this signing, but one swallow doesn’t make a summer.

When you’ve been repeatedly let down you tend to have a negative view. It’s just the way it is.

I’ll join you on the positive train if we make some more good signings.

Chu chu !

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Can anybody remember jeff from benwell, a vile character whose username was a direct pi$$ take from a guy with severe learning difficulties, anybody who takes the pi$$ out of someones affliction needs to have a look in the mirror and give their head a shake.

• 7 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Be nice if the next signings where defenders. The only way we’ll get the Serbian bloke is if the other two clubs don’t want him imo.

• 8 King Colback // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM

It is fantastic we have Wijnaldum on board but we still need around 4/5 more players to be competitive next season

• 9 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Yeah before I posted (I’m along time reader – recent poster ) I saw that character.
    I think he may have been a mackem !!!!!!

• 10 Mister Tuff // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:52 PM

jail – the vile fellow will not have time to look in the mirror – he’ll be telling his family about his vile “jokes” – he’s just told us so.
    Clearly a scumbag.

• 11 Graeme // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM

If Ashley is serious, then Collo will be spending most of his time on the bench – not much use as a captain in those circumstances.

We need a much better CB pairing – without Collo, Willo and Saylor, 2 or all 3 could be sold this window.

• 12 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Should add by hoaking the bins outside asda I mean bargain basement buys 4,5,6, million while the “big” teams like Swansea and West Ham sign the 14 million players.

• 13 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Think we should stop chasing this player mitrovic his heart is clearly elsewhere which is no problem just think we are wasting our time I think Javier hernandez is a really good shout think he would fit in well with what we have and are moving towards plus he would be hungry to prove United and all overs that he had what it takes

• 14 Our Toon // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Jeff used to think Brazil was a club team, wonder what Jib thinks of this

• 15 optimistic prime // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Nae kick and run

• 16 BandB // Jul 11, 2015 at 6:59 PM

For Munster Mag.
    Please note the date

BandB // Mar 24, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Sorry, I missed your earlier post in response to one of mine.

I agree. I think if that was rendered as a schematic, point three would lead by arrow back to point one.

However, I don’t think we will sign no-one in the summer.

I think this is the middle window in a process that started last summer and will be completed in summer 2016 (now, where have I heard that date before?)

And I think it will be just like last summer.

I think we will sign six. We will possibly announce these early in the window, creating a huge burst of optimism, as it did last summer.

Four will be similar to those signed last year and include two to three good uns’, at similar cost. We may also see two signings similar to the Forest lads…signed and loaned back. Perhaps these two Charlton kids will be this year’s model?

The club, the Chronicle, and Ed, will count the Forest lads as new signings, bringing the “headline” total to eight.

This will temporarily more than negate the preceding Night of The Long Knives Carver already has hinted at, when almost everyone who is out of contract will be dispatched. Just like last summer.

The idea that we have replaced eight “deadwood” players with eight exciting new talents (sic) will be very popular, and much told-you-so-ing on the blog will ensue, as it did last summer.

Then, as the window nears its close, a new round of outgoings will start, as the club seeks to make the window at least pay for itself. This will hurt. Really hurt, and cause great bewilderment to fans who just “never saw it coming.” Just like last summer.

I predict two things. One is that the squad will be numerically weaker at the beginning of the new season this will quickly become clear. Just like last summer.

The other is that Boy Done Good will vanish, and be quickly replaced with a new poster making the same arguments all over again. Just like last summer.

• 17 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Boom lol

• 18 Dai // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:04 PM

We should pursue Mitrovic aggressively and with urgency. We have the money and should push our position. This press-spread “he doesn’t want to come” is obvious. Obviously he would prefer CL footy. However, if he signs for us then we have a class striker with a high price on his head. Either goals or money. I know this is Ashley accounting but perfect for the team. Let’s just do the flaming deal and suck it and see.

• 19 Our Toon // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Spot on buddy

• 20 Dai // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Charlie Austin is out No.2 target. Hence the delay and pursuit of Mitrovic.

• 21 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:07 PM

I think Hernandez has broken his collarbone honest fan.

• 22 BandB // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:07 PM

If we meet the asking price, there’s less wriggle room.

• 23 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Just get this feeling that Wij is going to be a real Toon hero – he’s the real deal as a player and seems as genuine a person as Anita. Also shows how SM is viewing the side and how much influence he has had with the boss already. Two or three more players in this class and we’ll be everyone’s second favourite team again.

• 24 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:08 PM

You are one sad and lonely lady
    Ever thought of trying Bingo ?
    Just a thought like

• 25 Toonfan8 // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Mitrovic is best suited for Mc Claren style, it is obvious, that he want tall and strong striker there, so with 189cm and his power, he is suited to style of play we want to play under SM…he would be class here, everybody would love him here

• 26 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Much to be said for being pushy about Mitrovic. It might convicnve him we really want hi here and that if he does come to SJP we might even be pushing for CL places in a year or two – and in any case his value will skyrocket if he can deliver in this league. Roma maybe a good challenge but will he prove much in Portugal ?

• 27 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Ricky Ponting on the Sky Ashes summarising team looks like he wishes the ground would open up and swallow him.
    Hard to feel sorry for an Aussie sportsman like.

• 28 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Back to being snide Jeff ?

• 29 BandB // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Would you like to count how many times you have posted today?
    Compared to me or anyone else.
    Just a thought like.

• 30 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Jeff at 24 is exactly why you are so cruelly picked on.

• 31 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM

However jeff at 27 I would agree with you wholeheartedly, they waste little opportunity to gloat.

• 32 Toonfan8 // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM

starting line up for me
    sissoko….de jong……..perez
    but two must gone and its Willo and Collo
    it is a nice line up set for nice football…three more players and we really will look strong

• 33 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Just see that myself Belfast lol

• 34 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Maybe scrap that one then

• 35 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Currants. Whatever happened to them?

• 36 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM

It is not the length of time on the blog that makes you sad
    It is the scouring of past posts back to March to prove a petty point
    sad sad sad

• 37 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Another two footed tackle Jeff ?

• 38 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM

All the currants where eaten.

• 39 Our Toon // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM

If he went to Porto he’d be following in the footsteps of Falcao, Hulk, Jackson Martinez. They haven’t done to bad from plying there trade in Portugal….its a bigger stage for him to get a massive move

• 40 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Danish bloke with the funny hair took the last bowl

• 41 cestriasteve // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Our lass served him this morning in cruise, said he was really nice and he had to get some clothes as he only had the stuff he was in. She got her photo taken and he said he already love Newcastle from what he had seen so far.

• 42 BandB // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I know the arguments I’ve made in the past and roughly where they are.
    This is a professional discipline gained from years of experience of how easily hard evidence can dispose of the insinuations of amateurs.
    I am a comfortably semi-retired person who can, with periods of hard work and organisation in between, spend my days as I choose.
    As I planned it since I was 18.

• 43 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:25 PM

I blame Garibaldi. That guy has a lot to answer for.

• 44 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:26 PM

How do you know Jesper has funny hair ?
    Tried to keep a straight face
    Ha ha ha

• 45 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Our Toon

Yeh take the point – still thnk EPL is a bigger stage. But CL with Porto only any good if they progress well

• 46 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Nice biscuits though Tsunki

• 47 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Jeff man at least make an effort not to be a turd to everyone. it’s, a leap of faith I know but it might just work.

• 48 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM

• 49 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I’m not to sure what actual striker I what us to buy who ever it is I want them to be more than just a goal getter I’m looking for another gini type very hard working off the ball team player with it bringing others into the game And also getting lots of goals is big plus yes but not sure if either we are after are the above Maybe I’m asking for to much to early

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Aye, that jeff from benwell was probably the biggest tw@t who’s ever posted on here, and there’s been a few.

• 51 count // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:33 PM

JiB, it’s most definitely the length of time you spend on here that makes you the saddest cnut here. F@cking loser.

• 52 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Belfast can you text Jesper and get his latest picture, he’s ignoring my texts. Unless I haven’t got his new number…Hang on I’ll text the other four they’ll have it..

• 53 Dai // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:35 PM

• 54 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:35 PM

• 55 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Meaningful post, Dai. A lot to think about there 🙂

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Wow !

• 57 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:37 PM

…certainly raises a few questions marks…

• 58 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Must agree that Jeff fom Benwell was some tw@t.
    However being the biggest is a toss up between you , Tuffty , and Blackley and Brownlie.

• 59 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Phew thought I was going to be in that list narrow squeak there

• 60 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I don’t have his or anybody else’s phone number Skunki. Think Jib was being a little paranoid with that one.

• 61 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Note to self
    Do not take a sip of tea while looking at a pic posted by Belfast.
    Still wiping my screen.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:43 PM

I’d already given the prize to Jfb, you’re doing an impressive bid to snatch the title mind.

• 63 welshgeordie9 // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Reguarding Mitrovic, if he and his agent are waiting for other teams to come in and bid for him, how long have we got to wait for his answer, for all we know no club might not come in for him.

• 64 switch365 // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Could now be the time to reel in Van Dijk?
    We are desperate for a quality cb and he’s decided it’s time to look for a new club £7m-10m should see him switching hoops for stripes

• 65 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:47 PM

It won’t be long before the Hoops are out of CL – but he is the right price range, right age and has real promise.

• 66 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM

To more serious stuff.
    This Mexican club Atlas seem to be taking these friendlies very seriously .
    I remember Pedro Beardsley being out until Xmas after a summer friendly against Liverpool , it was that cockney centre half – Ruddick ?
    We play them in 3 days time and their season has just finished !!!!

• 67 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Neil ‘Razor’ Ruddock it was

• 68 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM

He looks decent Switch but Boumsong looked decent too. Hit and miss signing players from there.

• 69 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Would probably sign him anyway, but no guarantes he’ll be any good.

• 70 Munster Mag // Jul 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM

B and B, good post from earlier in the year . You cudnt make it up and Co , I would have been on the streets for the protests too, believe me. But the Fat One made a statement and he has to be given a chance, as has Charnley etc, to make good on his words. There are some serious numpties on this site who wont let that happen and were moaning as soon as the season was over for new signings. Well guess what? We now have proper coaches, we have paid off the nutters and signed a class act in midfield. And we’ll get more. We also have more communication. Its good stuff, and fair play to fans for putting pressure on. But on this site, people take polar opinions and wont budge. Thats why I felt that hanging Pardew for all and sundry was both stupid and incorrect. He was an average / below average manager, made worse by a crap regime. He has done v well at Palace ( and many said he wud relegate them – are they big enough to stand up now ? ) and the bollox has now signed Cabaye. Thing is, if he gets Palace into top 8 next year ( doubt it ) , guys on here wont be big enough to say, ” I might be wrong” . I’m really pleased he’s gone by the way, and hope he shags a few palace players wives to upset the applecart ! 🙂 HTL

• 71 Mister Tuff // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM

jib/jeff’jane – stop squealing like a piglet. You outed yourself the other night as being a multiple – probably because you a such a dope. You answering as jib when it was meant for jeff. What a tool.
    Wat een vilder.
    We now know that you are the vile poster jeff from Benwell – vile racist homophobic spoutings. Why there is a passive complicity by some on here towards you I’ll never know. As I have said previously “ya shyte and scumbags spoil it for everybody”.

• 72 AndyMac // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:09 PM

I could be wrong but wasnt that, more or less, what EMO aka Sicknote said when he joined in that orchestrated Sky sports pantomime ?

Just kidding 😉

• 73 BandB // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM

I think everyone who called Ashley a liar after May 24 put themselves out of the game.
    The AO response was toe-curling.
    If someone say’s “let’s talk” ….you talk.
    I have done quite a lot of negotiating and campaigning in the past. This is how striking a deal works. I took him at his word and I’m waiting and expecting him to deliver.
    I appreciate that people want to hope and dream and stay positive. But if you aren’t getting concessions you aren’t negotiating. Just conceding.
    I know it drags the mood of the blog down. So it is better a few do it efficiently and without abuse, and without being abused.
    Then the rest can dream, hope, and look forward to better times.

• 74 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Just saw that Bigiriama was Jaanmats replacement at half time when the new team came on. That’s a worry to me, not only for the fact that Jaanmatt will face injury and suspension but we need someone to keep him on his toes.

• 75 tenpointnine // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:38 PM

A bit late to enter the pronunciation / nick-name debate I know, but if he is known as Gini, isn’t the ‘G’ pronounced as an ‘H’ (Van Gaal becomes Van Haal?), thus Gini becomes Hinny.

With a first name of Georginio, surely he should be called ‘Geordie Hinny?’

Let’s hope he doesn’t keep his feet still.

Just a thought.

• 76 will die for the toon army // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM

I really want Mitrovic but he being a pain. But In Chanely and Carr we trust. They have a plan. I now half trust the board €20m that’s a massive bid.

As the HEAD coach said that shows they r serious.

• 77 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Givvus that bit cummfit keep yore feet still Geordie lad

and divvent drive me bonny dreams away !

• 78 will die for the toon army // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:44 PM

how did he play

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:44 PM

I honestly don’t know where commentators got Hullit and Haal from. The Dutch G is pronounced more like a K from the back of your throat. In the south they tend to pronounce it with what they call a soft G.

• 80 geordieboy83 // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Jib, can i just say youve never given me grief so not my place to step in really but you do seem cspable of a half decent convo with people, so why be unnecessary out of the blue? I don’t get it mate tbh. Sometimes people bring you up for no reason, granted, but you don’t hslf make a rod for your own back!

People hardly engage with me at all so wonder what’s the point sometimes but, i still try and be civil

On the striker front, how much is a huntelaar gling for these days?

• 81 check the toastie // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Not sure how we get a balanced team with the players we have. Personally would play 4123,
    ——-Perez————————————– Aarons–
    ———————New CF-or Cisse—————–

• 82 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Good interview with GW on Nufctv
    Seems a canny lad , knows what he’s here for.
    Remarkable these young men can give such an interesting response in a foreign language.
    Said Tim Krul has been asking him for 8 years to come to the Toon.

• 83 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM

As a lecturer on modern languages you should know that the Dutch are probably the best English speakers as a second language, only the Scandinavians have a higher proportion per capita.

• 84 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM

I’m worried about our defensive options. We’ve only ever had two right backs once, when Debuchy and your mate Simpson overlapped.

• 85 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Well what am i seeing people praising the board? I said about 2 weeks ago I knew signings would come and they are rolling now ashley would never have done the interview all the mongs that moaned about transfers as well as mclarens appointment have jumped on the bandwagon pretending they backed the club all the way let me tell you something you people give the club a bad name and is why we are labelled “deluded” going from extreme hating to saying they are the best out there nuff said

• 86 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM

I think you should expand on your comments.

• 87 optimistic prime // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Will there be anymore signings before the USA trip is over?

• 88 geordieboy83 // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Awaydays bit harsh. Nowt wrong with people backtracking on things if they stand corrected is there?

• 89 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM

I stand corrected, the Dutch according to this web site actually have the highest percentage.

• 90 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM

How do you mean?
    I dont have a problem if people hold their hands up and say i stand corrected im talking about how people were for example when mclaren was announced i saw comments just slating the guy and on the owner and board im not an ashley fan but since his interview he has kept his word yet a few days/weeks ago everyone was still slating the club about transfers…
    I dont mean to sound harsh but negativity gets you nowhere you just have to get behind everyone

• 91 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Have you got tonsilitis ?

• 92 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM

Come on big lad whats your opinion on that im sure we are all dying to hear what you have to say

• 93 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:27 PM

You sound a bit harsh

• 94 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:29 PM

• 95 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Defo shouldn’t swap cabella for this other French dude Imo cabella has something special all that crop from pardew saying he needs to bulk up is rubbish there are loads of small light players in the League that smash it most weeks (David silva) to name one just think he (cabella) needs to play with that same freedom silva gets and others like him I know cabella had a bit of a nightmare but if he started playing the way he did at Chelsea last season we’ll have one hell of a player next season hope he stays managed correctly you never know

• 96 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM

You seem angry !

• 97 King Colback // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:34 PM

After reading this does it mean we have had an offer accepted, offered him a contract but he is stalling?

Hope he signs though he has the ability and goals we need.

• 98 Munster Mag // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Awaydays amd B+B , completely agree. Once Ashley made his pronouncement, he had until the window closure to come good. He has made a very good start in getting rif of Charva the knacker, when he could easily have kept him – as we ALL thought he would. I was confident they would demote Charva, but didnt think we would get rid. Well I was wrong thankfully. And I’d like to thank Palace for taking Pardew, because we were never going to improve much under him, given the disparity of opinion between him and Carr about players. So now Ashley has dumped Knacka and his useless mate Stone, and made an appointrment that most were not happy with. I wanted Viera like most, but the abusive posts re McClaren when he joined reflected badly on some of the dimmer contributors here. It does look like the club planned this, and he was ever only going to be the new boss, but initial soundings are good, and there is no doubt that the club had changed for the better since Ashley spoke up. In fact, i think if we sold Sissoko, I would be confident of a plan B. I havent felt this about NUFC in ages. Who knows Billson might make a guest appearance soon 🙂

• 99 jayphoto // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Portuguese correspondent on Talksport earlier said that Porto have maxed out their summer wage bill with Casillas and other signings and Benfica may have to sell to comply with FFP so neither are in a position to spend €16m on Mitrovic.
    Similarly Roma have money but are assessing targets.
    Mitrovic may have no choice but to come here!

• 100 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I dont see what it is about mitrovic he may have bags of talent (I dont know much about him) but if we were to sign him hes going to be another diva pushing for a move after a season id like to see Austin personally which looks very unlikely
    And on cabella weve seen flashes of him i think hes a confidence player but if thats true he just needs a couple decent performances

• 101 Munster Mag // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Honest fan, i think Cabella is a hundred miles off Silva. In fact the only thing he has in common with him is his size. Cabella needs to do fewer stepovers and be more direct. Compared to other slim guys like Perez, he aint at the races. Its not about strength so much as using what strength he has. Barcelona are hardly giants are they ?

• 102 King Colback // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM

from watching a video McClaren says that Wijnaldum’s shirt should have the number 5 on it

• 103 chasing_rabbits // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM

To be taken with a pinch of salt I know, but hopefully there’s some truth in there, good read either way.

• 104 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM

I would have liked him to choose us like most
    I haven’t seen him play not even seen any of his goals but if his that good then we should get him in if that is true then we’ll hear loads tomorrow that his coming here

• 105 chasing_rabbits // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Woops, wrong link. That one’s the story beneath it! This is the one I meant

• 106 optimistic prime // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:43 PM

I’d be happy if most of this came off, Colo leaving being the clincher.

• 107 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:45 PM

• 108 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:48 PM

• 109 honest fan // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM

I was only comparing size sorry if that came over as me comparing silva and cabella in terms of talent lol no they are very different but more stating pardew was wrong in the way his managed cabs maybe the new lot can do better coz I like the little flash we have seen and we should not swap him out so soon

• 110 Noel Worst // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:51 PM

The Mirror knows zip, that’s just a non-committal article covering all bases. Simon Bird has had his fingers burned after declaring Austin was a done deal a few weeks ago, so now he’s just gone for the cautious throw so much mud some will stick tack.

• 111 King Colback // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Optimistic Prime it all sounds great just worried it’s coming from the Mirror

• 112 Jib // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:54 PM

There are a few Dutch and Belgian sites saying Mitrovic and Joel Veltman from Ajax are done deals.

• 113 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Whats even happening with austin?

• 114 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM

He’s at home watching casualty awaydays

• 115 awaydays // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Quick question im not to sure what happens if we signed someone during the america tour do they join the squad or stay in Newcastle?

• 116 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 9:58 PM

I would like to see both Austin and the Serbian bloke signed. Think Cisse and his wives and girlfriends will be offski

• 117 geordieboy83 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Veltman amd rudiger as our 2 cbs hell yeah that’d be impressive. Mitrovic i would say can do one, but there ain’t many alternative options that i can think of

• 118 chasing_rabbits // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Honest Fan @ 109

I keep maintaining my view that Cabella will come good. He just needs the right guidance to adapt to the premier league. Hopefully with the new coaching staff that will be recognised. Id be gutted if we got rid now. This talk about a swap for Thauvin doesn’t make much sense to me. Just read an article which says Thauvin has been abit of a handful at times with his attitude & he’s showed promise but struggled for consistency. Wouldn’t be worth it if you ask me until Cabella’s had a fair chance with some decent coaching staff behind him.

• 119 geordieboy83 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Awsydays, not sure mate i guess so. First I realised we signed ferreyra when he came on in germany tour

• 120 voodoo85 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:06 PM

According to Mirror, Mitrovic family are on Tyneside:

“Aleksandar Mitrovic’s family have landed on Tyneside as Newcastle tie up a deal for the Serbian striker .

Anderlecht are willing to do business at £12million and club officials are now convincing Mitrovic and relatives that Newcastle is the best place for him. Both Porto and Roma have been pursuing him, but the Steve McClaren era is finally swinging into life as Mitrovic is poised to sign a five-year deal.”

• 121 voodoo85 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:07 PM

I see i was about 25 mins late to the party *climbs back under rock*

• 122 will die for the toon army // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I would keep Cabella than Thauvin. Cisse is better than Austine but Age difference I wld rather have Austin.

• 123 Noel Worst // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Thauving looks like a shite Cabella and that’s really saying something. Nothing to his game whatsoever, hardly stands out in Ligue 1.

• 124 overtheline // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Agree rabbits. The new coaching regime will be much more effective when working with skilful players than Pardew’s lot were. He just needs guidance. I do not think Thauvin is needed unless we are building a squad capable of rotation of ‘purples’.

• 125 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:16 PM

I watched that Thavin kid last season a good few times and he played crap. I was expecting him to be brilliant. Swapping the two would be pointless. He’s no better than Cabella.

• 126 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Voodoo no mate don’t worry at least you weren’t empty handed 🙂

• 127 Tsunki // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:24 PM

If we were interested in Thauvin a season or two ago I think that interest has waned. it’s just lazy hacks getting last month’s spag bol out of the freezer

So when’s the plane for the states taking off? That’s got to be d day for the big signings hasn’t it? Or do you think they’ll jet them in during the tour like they do with surprise camp mates on I’m a Celeb?

• 128 optimistic prime // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Thauvins family have said it’s a dud story.

• 129 Moonraker15 // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:32 PM

McClaren has given more information about things around the club in 3 weeks than King Percy gave us in 3 years, and it sounds real unlike Percy’s selfish ramblings.

And now the Mirror is saying Mitrovic is actually coming! We’ll maybe, maybe not but I have a good feeling about the club again.

• 130 mickalfas // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:37 PM

If Mitrovic’s family is here and his agent,where is he then ?
    He’s the one who has to sign the contract surely ,or is it a cunning plan ,he’s already here ?

• 131 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM

I do enjoy your comments on here. You’re good value. l say this despite you slagging me off @58.

• 132 why oh why // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Ha ha ha palace now linked with Colo!
    Let them have him

• 133 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Pardew would probably be fuming if we signed all these players six months after he left.

It would look like they have far more faith in McClaren than they had in him.

• 134 Belfast // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:42 PM

We should give him the goalkeeping coach for free to soften the blow.

• 135 why oh why // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I really can’t see mitty’s family coming over if he is t already here.
    He will sign .no doubt

• 136 mickalfas // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Why oh why
    Please don’t joke about stuff like that !
    If true they have to have Willo as well,or no deal

• 137 King Colback // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Belfast everyone including the Newcastle Hierarchy have more faith in McClaren than they ever did in Pardew

• 138 chasing_rabbits // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Belfast @ 125

The difference being Cabella was the standout player in ligue 1 the season before he joined (as was Wijnaldum in Eiredivisie last season, which makes a statement about the type of player we can still attract) Cabella was consistent too. I know he’s struggled so far for us but I don’t blame him for that.

Overtheline @ 124

Definitely will see improvements, and I would expect from everybody. McClaren’s obviously improved the atmosphere drastically amongst the players & I think everybody will be wanting to be in that starting line up at SJP against Soton.

• 139 King Colback // Jul 11, 2015 at 10:48 PM

I like this headline

McClaren puts Carver to a massive shame

• 140 BoyDoneGood // Jul 11, 2015 at 11:05 PM

BandB comment 16

Mentioning me – in response to what, exactly?

Since you expect some I-told-you-soing, let’s recap on the various tenuous predictions I made in Feb/Mar, of which everyone was rubbished and most were indeed savaged by yourself and the regular pessimists.

1) Around 35 would be the relegation cut off
    2) We would finish around 40
    3) Carver would not be “nailed on” nor even revert to assistant, but would be on his bike
    4) “Wait and see…” New high calibre coach (I wanted innovative, so S MacC is only so-so… but we’ll see)
    5) “Wait and see…” Contrary to oft repeated twaddle here, I said Newcastle would be buying players in the over-£10M range.

So what on earth prompts you to pontificate in such a smugly authoritative way? And to sneer at those whose analysis is demonstrably light years better than your own?

previous post: Benfica, Porto And Roma In Battle With Newcastle For Striker