The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Latest – Newcastle Trying To Convince Mitrovic’ Father

6:12 pm, Sunday, July 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 262 Comments

A deal between Newcastle and Anderlecht for 20 year-old striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is getting close with reports in Belgium saying that everything is set to go through, once his father is persuaded that Newcastle is a good club for his young son to join.

Anderlecht kept the player out of a practice game today against Istanbul side Basaksehir – with the player watching from the stands.

aleksandar mitrovic watches game

Aleksandar Mitrovic – watching from the stands today are keeping tabs on the situation and this is what they have reported:

¨No Aleksandar Mitrovic today in the practice game between Anderlecht and Turkish side Basaksehir.¨

¨However manager Besnik Hasi had said the Serbian striker would be in all the matches – a transfer to Newcastle is therefore getting closer.¨

¨Meanwhile, the parents of Aleksandar are already in northern England.¨ It is especially his father Mitrovic who stands in the way of a final transition.¨

¨But when he looks at the numbers in the contract, and is also shown around the impressive St James ‘ Park, that could be the last stumbling block that can quickly fall.¨

It looks like Mitrovic’s father is the key person who still needs to be persuaded, but there are also reports the 20 year-old striker could be flying to Newcastle in the next 24 hours.

If that happens of course that would be a (very) good sign.

HLN Sports Journalist  Niels Vleminckx has sent out this tweet earlier today regarding the situation:

It looks like Porto and Roma are not coming in with any new bids,  so the ball seems to be in Newcastle’s court to persuade Aleksandar and his family – but especially his father Mitrovic – that Newcastle is a good club for his son to join.

The other thing that is happening is that Anderlecht are trying to get striker Imoh Ezekiel of Qatari club Al-Arabi SC on a one year loan deal, to cover for Mitrovic who is expected to join some club (hopefully us) this summer.

Anderlecht are said today to be close to getting a deal agreed – so id that happens Mitrovic’s father is really key to everything.

If Newcastle are to be successful,  the next step would be news that Aleksandar has been told to join his father and agent at Newcastle.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

262 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM

We want Mit!!! We want Mit!!!!
    Howay lads, chant it together!!!

• 2 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Imagine Mit steaming down the pitch, knocking Rivi oot of the way and letting loose with a piledriver!!! This is beautiful thinking!!! Positive waves people!!!!

• 3 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Isn’t anybody else excited yet??? Harrumph…

• 4 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I hear Mit’s granny is now in the Toon as well!!! And we have the Belgian midget strikers to convince the family!!! Beautiful.

• 5 Novocastrian66 // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Sterling on his way to Man City.

• 6 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:20 PM

I will be excited once he signs on the dotted line my only worry is we don’t wanna leave it too long. I hope as well we sell a few of the deadwood bring in a winger another striker and 2 centre backs

• 7 funkness // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Repost from last thread:

@Lilongwe Geordie: We are in agreement. Mitrovic and Austin are way to similar. One of the two and a more mobile player would make sense though. I would prefer the mobile player to be a specialist wide forward though. I’ve been banging the drum all day about N’Tep. Not only do I see him as an ideal player for the wide left role – he would probably also cost half of Berahino ..

@BandB: I agree with your assessment of Perez’s role.

@ShireBrookToon: I agree with you in regards to us needing a LB.
    Dummett should be used as a CB, as he isn’t good enough on the left, I think. That leaves us short, just as we are a backup short for Janmaat on the right. I know Anita and Colback can fill in, but let’s have some more specialists across the pitch instead of too many versatile players.

On that note, now that we have got Wijnaldum signed, let’s go back to PSV and rid them of Jetro Willems. He is strong, quick, defensively aware and even pitched in with 15 assists last season – the boy can cross!
    No ideas for RB at present. Any suggestions (dreams)?

• 8 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Think it would make no sense to swap Thauvin for Cabella. Thauvin seems to have a bad attitude. Plus he’ll have the same problem that Cabella had adapting to the prem in his first season. With some decent coaching and this being his second season we may actually seem some of end product from cabella this season. He should play better with De Jong fit, Wijnaldum, and Mitrovic to hold up the ball

• 9 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Cabella needs to improve every facet of his game, more importantly he needs to cut out the pointless stepovers

• 10 funkness // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM

I agree AmeriToon. I don’t get why you would ship out Cabella already. The former coaching setup was a complete disaster, and talk of Pardew not even wanting him in the first place has been mentioned many times. Let’s give him a season under a coach with a positive footballing philosophy and better players around him ..

• 11 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Well…..I’m excited at any rate. Harrumph.

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Im in two minds about this fella, it looks to me we were not his first choice but have offered him a great deal with a five year deal and a good platform to greater things if he were to succeed here.

With saying that, he looks a good goal scorer and would do well leading the line at NUFC. Big lad aswell which would give us a great aerial threat, that pleases me. I do worry about the pace around him though and crosses into the box.

Arrons is nippy and this new dutch lad seems to have a bit of pace but on the wings we seem to lack. Sissoko if he stays is not a winger. De Jong very little pace also. Tiote, Colback, Anita very little pace again. I don’t expect Marveux to play a part this season.

Would love to see some pace brought in for the flanks if we nail this Mitrovic.

• 13 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:31 PM

On Cabella I have serious doubts he will cut it in this league.

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM

I’d still be a lot happier if we got some decent defenders in. If they hoof the ball over our fancy Dan forwards and midfielders À La Stoke and the like we are still doomed. Doomed I tells ya!

• 15 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Toon prodigy

Agreed Cabella won’t cut it in the prem, his decision making and then application is so poor, worse than obertan and that’s saying something

• 16 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I also have doubts on Cabella. Having said that, he was under poor management and was adjusting to the premier league in an under performing team.

I’d give him till next summer before selling him back to the French ligue

• 17 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Thauvin had a bad season but his ability is huge. Would like to see him come in but looks unlikely even though he is a favourite of Carr.

Mitrovic, 1 winger, CB, and then FB cover and we arent too bad.obviously in an ideal world it would be 2 CBs but no chance realistically.

Next summer should be interesting with Saylor, Willo and Colo out of contract finally, as well as Obertan.

• 18 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM

I’m hoping that these lads if and when they come in will be the first pieces in a jigsaw which show other areas where we lack. SM will know better than anyone we need speed going forward and up until now service from midfield has been like treacle. I just hope that we aren’t going to ride out multiple transfer windows slowly building up the right team, the lads we just got might decide to be on their way to the big hitters before they get the support they need.

• 19 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:47 PM

I still remember Pires at Arsenal, his first season was utter crap, so many wanted rid of him and that was with Wenger as boss. They stuck with him and he got upto speed with the Pl in his second year and became a top player.

Think it is only fair to give Cabella another year to see how he adapts, especially with a new coaching team, decent investment and no real top quality alternatives out wide.

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM

I guess we’ll see soon whether lack of ability or lack of proper coaching is hampering Cabella.

• 21 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM

The biggest concern I have with Cabella is that he just didn’t show any quality. 45 mins against chelsea he was decent however he didn’t score or get an assist and Chelsea worked him out in 2nd 45mins. Hull he scored a very good goal bit apart from that he showed nothing but utter incompetence time and time again. Even players that adjust show more quality in spurts than Cabella did for a whole season

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:49 PM

“Blackley you are adamant that Ashley said in his interview that the target next season was top 4 finish. Did you take my advice and go and listen to it?”

I didn’t need to. I didn’t say he said that. He didn’t put a time frame on it. What he did was make a bold, ambitious statement. He implied substantial investment in top players to get us to top 4. He is now going to bolt the horse to the cart. What’s to stop him doing that right now? I’m simply saying we may not get top 4, but there’s no reason not to target it this season.

But, it all depends on whether he spends the sort of money that will get us there. As things stand, we’re unlikely to make the top half never mind the top 8. We still need many more top players and a complete squad overhaul. We also need to hope the regime’s choice of coaching team is the right one.

Unfortunately, Charnley seems to have misplaced the bolts to attach the horse to the cart. He’s been dithering about so long that he’s forgotten where he put them down. He might want to search through the ever expanding mountain of horse dung.

• 23 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:51 PM

I said on an earlier thread that I’m not convinced about Mitrovic, I would think that if he wanted to be here then it would be a done deal.

Do we really need a player who’s head is already somewhere else, a player who will likely want away at every transfer window especially if we do not make it into Europe.

He has a great deal of potential to offer our club, and gives us something we need in attack, but would his heart be in it? Would he, his father and his agent be pushing for a CL move at every opportunity?

Like most fans I would love to have him here, but does he want it?

• 24 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Didn’t Cabella come on against Citeh? I seem to remember he tried hard, pulled a few tricks and actually showed some good positional sense, but he just seemed like a rabbit in the headlights after that.

• 25 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Our Toon,

Obertan is another one, has the pace but lacks ability, also Gouffran aswell.

With Cabella I’v seen very little to suggest he could blow the league up next year, very few flashes. I see someone that could be highly inconsistent. A ben Arfa in the making maybe. If there is a chance they could get a pacey winger as a trade off I wouldn’t blink an eye at it. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if he were to go.

It’s a shame because we do have some pace in the squad, there is just a lack of ability with these players. They need to go or be swapped for me.

• 26 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Jd Dubai

The problem is that Cabella is no Pires. He’s not even good enough to lace his boots buddy, back when Pires played the prem was so much more different, so much more combative and physically it was harder which is why it took time for a class player like Pires to adjust.

Some players just aren’t cut out for the prem, Ozil is one currently who is poor for Arsenal, Cabella is for us….We judge Cabella based on hope, a fat and overweight Greggs pasty loving Arfa was and is 10 times the player Cabella is. Cabella has been given chance after chance amd failed to deliver for an entire season

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Firebug, if he comes here wanting to be at a cl club , he might just play to the shoppers.

• 28 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Yes we do want that type of player because that type of player takes us to the next step up.

• 29 corkypants // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:57 PM

I have a sneeky feeling mitrovic is getting the 9:30am flight tomorrow morning to newcastle, flight takes a hour and a half im guessing he will be here by dinnertime

• 30 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Our Toon

Only a step up if he plays with passion and determination, I just worry that he does not want to come here, we are definitely not his first choice.

As for Cabella, I think he needs a second chance, the whole team was woeful last season, you cannot just single out one player from that shoddy lot.

He may just need a bit of confidence and a game plan to bring the best out of him.

• 31 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Being reported Mitrovic has arrived in Newcastle, waiting for the photo evidence though

• 32 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Tsunki just summed up Cabella for me, pulled a few tricks and had good positional sense. There’s more shocking moments that stand out for me on Cabella then good moments, take his miss against villa, the sitter which would have won us the game away. Or the open goal v Southampton when he missed the ball

• 33 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:01 PM

He is in Istanbul, that’s a good 4 hours plus flight, and I’m not sure if there is a direct flight to Newcastle.

• 34 scout // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Sterling 49 million. Its insane.

• 35 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM

If you offered all the players in our squad a play at a better club than ours they’d all take it. Let’s face it we aren’t a Porto or even Roma buddy, we are a team that plays in the prem and only just survived relegation. If he comes here the only way to move into something better is by playing well, if he doesn’t he ends up in Russia or Ukraine.

• 36 corkypants // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I thought he was in brussels firebug my bad

• 37 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM

That’s the price of going British unfortunately, thanks to the likes of Greg Dyke it’ll only get worse. 49m for 1 good season

• 38 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM

on the cabella debate !

imo he can have those silly things in his game ironed out fairly easy and tbf he did create a lot of chances when played although they was not finished either by himself or others !

however he is not a winger nor has the crossing ability to be one imo and i can only see him getting a game as an impact sub ! much like arfa was he’s more of an exciting player thats not that effective as a constant starter but can shine for 20-30mins of a game when legs are starting to go.

• 39 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Not every player will quickly adapt to a new club or country, if you track someone for a few years and pay X millions for him then it doesn’t make sense to get rid of him after just 1 season- a season where the whole team around him was crap and he was being “coached” by pardew and carver.

There are many more wide players who should be out the door before him, Gouffran, Obertan, Ameobi for starters.

• 40 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:08 PM

The problem is that Charnley has not lost the bolts attaching the horse to cart – its the nuts he’s short of.

• 41 Reyantoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Thauvin is a left foot player,but played on the right wing usually,when the last time i saw him.
    Just like cabella played on the right wing for us.
    The problem on cabella is that he is not a good finisher.Wastes a ball and caught out by oppo when tries to dribble.Physically not strong either
    Thauvin scored 10 goals the season before playing on the right wing.He also scored couple last season,more than cabella scored for us.If i were McLaren,i’d go for the swap deal!

• 42 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Our Toon

You may be right, but it’s not just if he plays well for us, it seems that his whole family are involved in this transfer, there seems to be a lot of baggage involved, baggage that can make or break the deal, the same baggage that could be pushing him every window to move on.

My point is he may not settle into our team, as his aspirations or those of his family may lie elsewhere.

For me this deal should have been done, but it appears like he could be just about to place the pen on the dotted line when his father shouts Porto have made an offer, and off he goes.

I’m not having a go at him for wanting to be at a better club, just if he is signing then sign, or our club should draw a line and move on.

• 43 why oh why // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Mitty has arrived in Newcastle
    According to the mirror

• 44 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Really.?! Apologies for my scepticism but posts such as this without a verified source is pointless. Sorry!

Personally I’m not sure I want this chap if he’s not committed to the move. That said if NUFC pull this off even I have to offer praise. We need a minimum of 4 quality additions and then maybe a further 2 squad building players. IMO.

• 45 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM

All them players you mentioned did more than cabella over less games, they all played under pardew and carver so why should Cabella be treated any different? Because he cost more?

Ameobi, Obertan, Gouffran had as much or more affect on the outcome of a result or goals or assists as Cabella did

• 46 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Blackley, wow! Are we still on this?

Ok… Ashley said, “I’m not selling under any circumstances until we win something. And by way, if we manage to qualify for the champions league, that also counts as winning something” … If we manage… IF!!

If my Auntie had a cock, she’d be me uncle…

That’s hardly a bold & ambitious statement claiming he’s going to turn us in to European Powerhouses.

A bold & ambitious statement would have been something like; from now on every season we are targeting champions league qualification as a minimum.

He said we were able to punch above our weight, he didn’t say we’d be able to compete with the likes Chelsea, Man U etc. The fact is, nobody else in the league can really invest the amount of money the top 4, because their revenues are so much greater. Why do you think its the same teams each year occupying those spots.

Ashley made no solid commitment whatsoever to a top 4 finish. It almost sounds like he just thought he would tag that sentence on the end off the top of his head, probably just to get people like you over excited about it.

• 47 Offkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Cockypants- Mitrovic has begun the return to Brussels earlier today if he is still with the team.

On Cabella, I think it would be unfair to judge him on the basis of last season alone, it was his first season in england and it was also a terrible season for most of our players.

• 48 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM

It was reported, now from two source, 1 I believe is the Mirror, but as I said before, still waiting for photo’s to appear!

• 49 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM

• 50 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM

If your Auntie had a cock, she would be the owner of some type of male domestic fowl.

• 51 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:17 PM

on mitrovic

imo we are not his first choice and tbf i cant blame him as he is/should be out of our league and if we do sign him he will push us up the table i’ve no doubt !

knowing this if we can convince him to come i’d snap him up in a shot even if we are used as a stepping stone as we have a chance to win something with him and maybe become a better team that we may attract players like him in the future.

same with loik remy and demba ba ! ther are out for every penny they can get but…they would improve our team.

• 52 why oh why // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:17 PM

If there is t flights
    I’m sure Ashley and all his wealth possesses a jet

• 53 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:17 PM

why oh why

It’s unlikely mate, he was watching his team this afternoon in Istanbul, they kicked off at 12:30 so that would finish at 2:30, I don’t think he would have been running out of the stadium to the airport right after the match.

Chances are he is still in Istanbul with his team mates.

• 54 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:18 PM

From what I’ve seen of him the lads a class act amd probably one of the best young talents in Europe. The baggage as you put it is no different to agents in my eyes. At least mitrovic has a family who are looking out for him, not any different to any other caring family. His dad wants to ensure this is the right move for his son and rightly so. He’s taking a big risk leaving Anderlecht to join a club that barely survived in the prem.

Enjoy him if he’s ever here buddy because he’s far to good to be joining us

• 55 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Mashley saying he wants to win something and/or qualify for the CL is, by quite a long way, the most bold and ambitious thing he has ever said…. and both BandB and B & B are spot on. He needs to at least attempt to live up to that, rather than simply auming mid table. Falling short of a cup and getting 6th is much more acceptable than falling short of 10th and finishing 15th or worse. This is not rocket science.

• 56 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM

The.only thing saying Mitrovic himself is in Uk is from a website called Squawka…..somehow wouldnt put that high on the list of trustworthy sources guys.

They have just misquoted the Mirror and said he was with his family whereas it is just his family.

• 57 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Would we not pay for a private jet? We are desperate to get a player of this calibre amd every minute is crucial so it would make sense.

• 58 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:24 PM

49 million for Sterling is a joke like. Very surprised they didn’t wait until the last week of the window they probably would have got him far cheaper.

• 59 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:25 PM

You can’t do anymore than sir – Cheers!

Not really convinced about accuracy of the Mirror’s story, the timeline just doesn’t add up.

….but you can never say never.

• 60 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM

so it looks like mitovic up front and supported by Gini and Jong. Who id to be the anchor, my money is on Anita?

• 61 toontilidie 2 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Anyone else think Colombia could play at left back if we get 2 CB’s???

• 62 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM

After Delph rejected them for what would have been a real coup at 8m they needed to step up for sterling. HG quota to fill especially now Lampard, Richards, Guidetti etc have left them

• 63 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Perez and Arons on the flanks , possibly.

• 64 toontilidie 2 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Colo!!!! Lol

• 65 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM

So the Serbian bloke is in town then? The attractive ladies aren’t interested and the ugly lady wins.

I love a happy ending.

• 66 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Aarons and sissoko on the wings, Sissoko was most productive for us out wide

• 67 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Fair play to Fabian Delph. Maybe he spoke with Scott Sinclair and Jack Rodwell. Two promising players ruined by the same move.

• 68 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:32 PM

£49m for a young player with only one okey..ish season is both obscene and morally wrong IMO. How can football have become so out of control financially. Blimey we could finance the cancer treatment unit at the Freeman Hospital for a minimum of 7/8 years on that budget.

Maybe it’s my age, but I find this kind of money disturbing. 🙁

• 69 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:35 PM

We’d all like verified sources of the information but it does seem that some folk want to verify other posters input yet offer no verification of their own spoutings.

I think it must be a massive clue that if Mitrovics’ agent and family are in the Toon -the job is just about done. Just the
    i’s to dot and t’s to cross.

As I posted earlier Mr Tubbs did not commit to any time lines or league positions. This was the basis for a debate – which is now being denied by one of the debaters.
    You couldn’t make it up.
    Think Cabella is on his way out along with Mr T.
    They should also get rid of Cisse -I really cannot see any improvement from the new coaching as far as he is concerned.
    He scored some important goals last season and equally missed many more.

• 70 Novocastrian66 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:35 PM

I think we should stick with Cabella.
    He has ability and with the right level of coaching will develop into a very good player. Pardew couldn’t offer the level of coaching required to develop his skills. I feel McClaren can.

• 71 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Agreed Delph has made a sensible decision because citeh have let young English lads rot just so they can fill quotas.

• 72 SuperShearer // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:39 PM

What’s interesting about Delph’s decision is that you have to assume Roy Hodgson has said that staying at Villa will NOT impact his England chances. That’s a statement of intent from the FA that no longer will players be picked on the clubs and therefore reputation they have but rather the form they are in, irrelevant of the club.

• 73 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Does the same apply for obertan and Gouffran then? After all they played under pards and carver

Mr T

If we got rid of Cisse then we’d need to buy a replacement, otherwise back up is Riviere. McClaren said about cisse….11 starts 11 goals 11 sub apps. He must be kept for that alone

• 74 toontilidie 2 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Janmaat Matip Rudiger Colo/Haidara
    Sissoko/de Jong Wijnaldum
    Townsend/Aarons Flauvin/ Perez
    Pretty strong I think!!

• 75 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM

The home grown quota thing is just daft. They’ll probably ruin a lot of young English players careers with clubs just signing them for the sake of making up the quota.

Was this another idea to make the England team better ? Lol

It’s a new excuse after every international tournament. It will be a winter break next.

• 76 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Manchester United target Aleksandar Mitrovic has arrived in Tyneside ahead of a £12 million move to Newcastle United, according to the Mirror.

• 77 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I doubt Hodgson would say that to him though, he picks smalling, Jones ahead of others. Now that Clyne is at Liverpool I bet he starts for England now, no more Jones filling in at RB. Unfortunately players will get picked for being bench warmers at top teams then getting picked as starters for lower placed teams

• 78 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Our Toon – yes I accept a replacement for Cisse would be necessary – it it Mitrovic. I just think Cisse’s overall contribution is very very limited. He cannot hold up play and I cannot recall him ever dribbling past an opponenet.

• 79 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:45 PM

They want to change it from 4 to 8 players out of 25. Instead of looking at grass roots, Harry Kane valued at 40m for having a good 4 months couldn’t score for the u21s in the recent competition.

If English lads or British lads are good enough they’ll play in the prem, by forcing clubs to have quotas all thay happens is the best ones rot away at bigger clubs and the poor ones play weekly and don’t improve

• 80 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:46 PM

is it Mitrovic.

• 81 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Mr T

Agree Cisse is limited buddy bit the most important attribute is to score goals for a striker. We have Riviere who does all the things you like but he’s useless as he can’t score.

• 82 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:48 PM

If mitrovic joins and gets injured we are then stuck with Riviere the poor man’s french heskey who is goal shy and Perez.

• 83 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Our Toon – then in that case the ideal replacement is someone who can do all of those things.

• 84 Novocastrian66 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Our Toon; Not sure what you’re on about but if you mean do I think Cabella is better than Obertan and Gouffran the answer is yes.
    I also believe that Pardew is a limited coach who fails to develop players’ potential. I think McClaren can help a players development.
    Unfortunately for Gouffran and Oberatn he has arrived too late to help them, but you never know.

• 85 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:50 PM

I’d be really disappointed to see Cisse sold this window.

Our one guaranteed goal scorer (well, guaranteed as far as football allows).

It’s not like we need to clear the higher valued players to free up cash. Cisses move can surely wait to allow the new guys (yes, we’re going with the plural here) to settle and prove they can adjust.

I get the points as to why Cisse can be upgraded upon, I just question the timing.

• 86 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Having said that, I am one of the few who thinks Riviere may well still come good.

Please don’t look back for quotes from me saying to give Squidward more time though. You win some, you lose some, and then sometimes, I can be guilty of just being silly 🙂

• 87 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:52 PM

The link posted above is to the Squawka website, which claims Mitrovic has arrived in Newcastle.
    But it links that to a yesterday story in the Mirror, which it appears to have misread.

Anything from the Mirror today?

• 88 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Mr T

I think mitrovic has all them attributes including the goals bud. Would be nice to have a cisse on the bench just in case. With the players we have in SDJ and Wij, sometimes Sissoko there’s quality to do the pretty stuff with some one just like Cisse to finish off the moves.

• 89 beermonkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM

say we sign mitrovic
    people saying we should get rid of cisse
    we see it time and time again we sign players from other leagues and they struggle to adapt

cisse should be kept so mitrovic can settle into the club and the league

• 90 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Someone gave a report of the match with the Heed and described a bit of a tussle between de Jong and Cisse as to who was going to take the penalty.
    it is a pet hate of mine – the designated penalty taker, and there will be one, should be left to get on with the task.
    I would imagine that Wally and his staff will be sticklers for discipline so hopefully we’ll not see on field tussles over who is the penalty taker.

• 91 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:58 PM

cisse is worth 15mil to us even though he is 30yo !

we should just keep him imo untill his contract runs out !

when he does better than perez who we praised to high heavens but we want a striker out who did a hell of a lot better for us and is proven with a great attitude and is very loyal to boot ! i’d rather keep the player than the 3-5mil if he was sold.

• 92 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:59 PM

@Our Toon

I totally agree about Cabella I’ve seen him do more stepovers in a single game than a minute of actual decent play… he seriously needs to buck up his ideas if he wants in the first team because Obertan Aarons have a lot more to offer!

As for the rest of you complaining about Mitrovic and his head being elsewhere or he doesn’t seem interested in joining us… How many of you would leave Newcastle to take up a better role in Rome? Remember as much as we love football to these guys they train daily are hounded by the media and public daily if he gets a chance at the champions league for decent wage and playing in a country with much better weather I doubt any of us would turn that down would we? I think this kind of thing needs to be thought about more sensibly look at Austin his wife doesn’t wanna leave London so does that mean we sign him up

• 93 cestriasteve // Jul 12, 2015 at 7:59 PM

I can see where your coming from with N’Tep with Mitrovic, that would be some pace up front, both got fantastic assists too.

• 94 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Cisse should def be kept at the Toon. Even if we only play one up front we still need to rotate, then there’s form., suspensions, injuries etc.,
    If Riv can’t settle into a reasonable no4 striker with some good motivational coaching then he needs to go in Jan. We might need a new Mackem slayer but not another Strolla

• 95 newcben // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:01 PM

I cant see how we are going to fit everyone in, unless Colback becomes more of a deep lying ball winning/quarter back type of midfielder.

Janmart—Colo—New CB—New LB

I still feel we need another CF and sell one we have but would Charlie Austin sit on a bench or do we play 442 or 4132? very attacking that and would mean we would defo need a ball winner (Tiote?) and dropping one of DeJong, Cabella or Sissoko.

I have my fingers crossed Cabella comes good this year as he has shown glimpses of brilliance but too inconsistent

• 96 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:02 PM

My point is we are just making excuse for Cabella with this better coaching notion….just my opinion but if he could do with better coaching then you have to say the same about the rest

Cabella played 31 games 1 goal 2 assists
    Obertan 13 games 1 goal 1 assist
    Sammy 25 games 2 goals 2 assists
    Gouffran 31 games 2 goals 1 assist

Cabella started more games than the others and was less productive than 3 players we all see as deadwood

• 97 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:04 PM

stupid as this sounds our best crossers of the ball from the wings are hairdryer/janmaat/rolando and erm…i kid you not ! fergusson ^^

everyone else cant cross for toffee inc sissoko.

how the games has changed when wingers are not bought for their crossing ability lol.

its why i think we are better playing 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 as our fullbacks are the better crossers.

• 98 nightfa11 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM

as for our attack..

id sell cisse, rivi, goufrann, etc..

if we end this window with mitrovic, perez, berahino and me more than happy.. + aarons and sdj (and vuckic) could also play up front..

• 99 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Colback wouldn’t get a game for me in our best xi

• 100 alanrichie // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM

This squawka link is using the mirrors article from yesterday, i cant see anywhere the mirror mentioning Mitrovic is in newcastle ???????????????? only his family

• 101 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:08 PM

I feel Riviere may be a dark horse this season. He came to us with an excellent reputation. I think a loss of confidence under poor management had a lot to do with his form.

• 102 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:11 PM

My team…

..janmaat… CB…colo….dummett

………gini…………de jong…….aarons…

Lascelles for colo depending on form. And yes I know we need 2 new CB but that’s not gonna happen this window.

Alt could be bring in tiote and replace Aaron’s with sissoko (swap sides with Gini).

• 103 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:11 PM

@98 fog

over his career he has a 0.22 ratio of goals to games and imo i dont think 1 in 4 games is enough for a prem striker.

it was a mistake to buy him in the first place and was only bought as we was stuck after wasting time on other targets imo.

not a bad player esp not as bad as a few make him out to be but still not good enough even at his best imo.

• 104 Thump // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:12 PM

@alanrichie: That’s because the rumours of Mitrovic being in Newcastle is pulled from the Mirror’s article, mate. He isn’t in Newcastle, he’s at the training camp with Anderlecht. His younger brother and his father, however, are. His dad’s came out and said that they’re waiting for a “bigger” club to come in for him.

• 105 newcben // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Our Toon

I completely agree with you, he reminds me a lot of Nolan, he slows play down as soon as the ball hits his feet. It sounds like McClaren is looking at Gini as box to box so he fills in for Colback, so we need Tiote to get back to his best form or bring in a ball winner…..cant rely on Anita for one good game but he is a usual utility man.

• 106 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Ferguson is a strange one he has a wand of a left foot and is a fighter would have offered more than Gouffran etc last season !

I remember he set up Cisse 3 games in a row a couple of seasons ago with amazing crosses and then was hardly ever used in fact I think it was the Southampton away game it looked like the players were not passing to him/? After that he never played for us again under Pardew so not sure what happened

We should not be selling Cisse at all should just keep him as a back up till his contract runs out think he would actually be happy staying at Toon for another year with his fifty Geordie girlfriends !! With his knee he would be happy with limited game time there is no AFCON either so we would get the most out of him all season !!

Could also be some games where Mitrovic and Cisse play up top together especially at home against teams we should smash

• 107 nightfa11 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM

perez not playing? why? give me 1 good reason why…

• 108 newcben // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:16 PM

You cant believe Dummett is prem quality? he is useless but has the heart of lion as he is a local lad.

I used to slate Pards for playing Sissoko out wide but can only see him operating out there now. I always wanted him to be a presence like Viera but he doesnt have the composure or discipline to play that role, he runs down dead ends and loses the ball to easily for me, he would put us in all sorts of trouble playing through the middle.

• 109 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM

McLaren will play one up top. And out of mit and Perez it has to be mit. No?

• 110 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Fog…If this is a clean slate, then within reason, it is for all of the players. I saw good movement etc from Rivi, but his finishing was woeful.

Confidence? Perhaps.

Still, if we had to chose between keeping him or Cisse, i’d be showing Riviere the door.

Don’t see why it would have to come to that though. Unless we’re buying a few strikers…Ha, I can’t even leave that comment hanging.

• 111 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Sissoko has only ever been decent for us on the right wing cant believe people still cant figure that one out !!

• 112 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:20 PM

I’m not convinced about dummett or hiadara. Hiadara is the most accomplished of the two but I don’t have cofidence in eithers defensive ability yet. For me we need a LB the quality of janmaat. After a new CB.

• 113 potski // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:20 PM

McClaren said Gini is a box to box player, and in one of his interviews Gini also described himself that way, and said one of the reasons why he signed was the “Trainer’s” (Head Coach) plans for him. He will be playing in the centre of midfield.

• 114 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Janmart—New CB—New CB—hairdryer

• 115 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM

I don’t disagree – Gini would do a great job in his preferred position. But he can play across the midfield whereas de Jong is only a no 10 or can play up front. So that means dropping de Jong?

• 116 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM

McClaren’s ideas and the acquisition of Wijnaldum has really got the fans buzzing again,the antithesis of Carver

• 117 Graeme // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Arsenal Invincibles Team – £46.85M
    Man United Treble Team – £40.35M

All of NUFC Entertainers side 1992 – 1997 PLUS Bobby Robson’s Champions League side – £52M

Rahmeen Stitling to Man City – £49M

Just think about that for a while!!!!

• 118 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM

I like your team. Only one I’m not convinced about is Anita in the middle. To lightweight against stronger sides and were no Barcelona. Unless mclaren can get this passing game going I’d put tiote in instead even though he can be a loose cannon. Much tougher to play against.

• 119 Reyantoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Cisse 15m??….lol!
    I’d snap thier hand if we offered 5m bp?

• 120 cyprus // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM

What is going on with this team. If we sign this CF plus a class winger plus a CB then who can stop this train?

• 121 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Ferguson ended up benched at an awful Birmingham side, way below whats required.
    Perez plays before De Jong, he has a lot to prove, done nothing so far.

• 122 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Janmaat, new CB, new CB, Haidara/new lb
    New BWM, Wijnaldum
    Sissoko, SDJ, Aarons/new LW

• 123 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Perez will be in the team if sense prevails

• 124 KevinLee // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Buy his father & family first

• 125 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM

More concerning for me is no real backup for janmaat, the need for 2 new CB and no quality LB (I’d prefer santon to what we have and he wasn’t the best).

I really hope lascelles can develop into a PL player

• 126 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM

@111 check

i like that bud apart from i’d swap anita for colback personly but think you have the balance perfect there.

and to have rolando/cisse/tiote ect on bench shows depth.

• 127 nightfa11 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM

janmaat new CB new CB haidara

winjaldum anita/SDJ

berahino mitrovic perez

• 128 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Who would get dropped for Perez? Don’t forget the lad is a striker not a winger. For those who haven’t seen SDJ hoe fully he stays fully fit because he is a clever very astute player….much better than Perez

• 129 cyprus // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM

What positions can this dad play

• 130 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM

This is not Milan Mitrovic

However he may have another brother that hasn’t been mentioned anywhere in the world

• 131 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM

You have to give de Jong a run he’s more of a playmaker. He’s a top player. I’d like to see Perez on the left of a forward three. He’s got the pace and skill.

• 132 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM

check at 111

that team works for me and you’d still have aarons and cabella on the bench

• 133 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:33 PM

My team

Jamaat Matip Rudiger Haidara

Gini. Sissoko

Perez. De Jong. Aarons

• 134 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM

I also think a few will be on their bikes after the trip in USA.Umbrella man will be looking at a style of play and ditch those who cannot adapt to his system. No more square pegs in round holes.

• 135 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Spuggy – this lightweight tag folk are given is nonsense for me, its about energy, running ability and cleverness within a defined role, Anita will be the link man, he’s brave in the ball, never hides, doesn’t give the ball away cheaply and knows his role, he will be protecting the fill back spaces when they push up and always available for a pass.

Hopefully maclaren will use him in that role. Better engine than colback, based on last year, however Jack may step up.

• 136 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Once we have a striker. It’s all about the bass (defence)

• 137 lochinvar // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Hope that the Club have been very professional in their meetings with Mitrovic’s family and impressed on them all the benefits of joining Newcastle.
    52,000 fans
    Cathedral on the hill.
    Mark Toney’s ices near the ground
    Darras Hall for the family home
    Newcastle INTERNATIONAL airport
    Benton Training facilities
    Theatre Royal / Grey Street
    Close House Golf
    etc etc
    Just about time we dispelled a few myths often castigated by the southern press

• 138 King Colback // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM

still no movement on other signings but McClaren gives good speel

• 139 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM

The players i think may be jettisoned are Tiote, Sissoko. Cabella and Cisse. Sissoko and Cabella being my guess for the chop.

• 140 croftus5678 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM

@122 spuggy

we have a natural and talented rb as cover but the problem is he’s very untested at prem level and thats young sterry who tbf looks a really good player ! imo he def needs to go out on loan though so i can see anita covering there tbh which i’m ok with and if i’m right our new boy lescalles can also play rb as i’m sure i see him playing there for forest on the odd occasion.

• 141 Bambams // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:37 PM

……….. Krul
    Janmaat newCB newCB Hairdryer

Socks WINI Colback

De Jong

• 142 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:38 PM

the big question is what are we gonna do with these?

• 143 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:39 PM

You never mentioned the Crown Posada

• 144 King Colback // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Just a thought but anyone think Wijnaldum could become captain?

• 145 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Fair points man. Just hope there’s no long term injuries.

• 146 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Goni 4 captain all the way. Colo doesn’t speak!!

• 147 sing in the corner // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Our Toon

I think this point you often make about british players going for undeservedly high prices does apply to some and £49 million is a lot of money. But for me Sterling is a pretty special case in that category – he is an amazing talent and more than just a prospect. He clearly is gonna be a huge star if he doesn’t go off the rails off-field. His pace is electric and when I’ve seen him he uses the ball pretty well at pace. It will be hard to justify the price tag, but what he’s got is rare..

• 148 Novocastrian66 // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Our Toon; I agree with your point that; with better coaching the other players you mention could have performed better last season or the up-coming season.
    I also believe Cabella is a better player than those on your list and we should persevere with him.

• 149 magpiesi // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Sorry guys sissoko is not very good at playing cm in a two his strengths are long driving runs on and off the ball but with it he gets up the field but never gets his head up.

He can’t pass at the right time or change direction dribbling so it’s pretty much straight line unless he barges them away if not loses the ball the other team does the same run the other way. IMO his best pos is rm or right of a 3 with someone sat in behind to cover the gaps But that player could be a acm or a extra st.

• 150 Graeme // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Spuggy @ 139 – A raffle??

• 151 Bambams // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Spuggy (had a couple of beers)

Williamson sell
    Taylor keep
    Obertan sell
    Bigi keep
    Vukic sign up for 5 years
    Marveaux sell
    Gouffran sell
    Riviere not sure

I watched five rangers games last year via work and every Ranges fan want to sign him and make him captain. Best player by far when I watched him. Needs confidence and will be very good. Imo

He has not really had the chance yet but what will go against him is he is wanted by Rangers so a fee will be the golden ticket to Ash

The lad needs a run, cup competitions would be ideal

• 152 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:47 PM

You’d keep cool hand(ball) Luke?

• 153 Spuggy // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Anyone know what happened to goofy? Remember his first season!

Lightning pace down the left. Decent goal threat. maybe it was cabaye that made him tick. Just like cisse

• 154 cyprus // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:50 PM

I disagree with one poster here. Sissoko cabs will be key to this team as will be colback. Anita, if he can do a west ham. Perez will shine with Mit…

• 155 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Simple he got Pardewed!!!

• 156 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Sing in the corner

Let me put it like this Raheem Sterling cost 49m plus add ons 7 goals and 7 assists last season.

Alexis Sanchez 35 games 16 goals 8 assists cost around 35m

Both similar type of players Sanchez is proven and Sterling is hype. That’s why I always say British players are massively overpriced

• 157 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Is that a joke about Vuckic mate, he played in the 2nd tier of Scottish football a level which is worse or on par with league 2 here. Vuckic is pants mate he couldn’t even get a game for Rotherham. He found his level at Rangers

• 158 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:00 PM

If we are to progress then colback needs to be benched

• 159 magpiesi // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Our toon

They are rumoured to then go and pay £32m for benteke he’s good but not worth the same as Sanchez,costa,hazard. Just like Andy Carroll but if the big teams want a player they will pay what it takes.

• 160 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:02 PM

I think Mitrovic will sign but I think they will insist on a lower release clause say 25 or 30 million !!

• 161 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:03 PM

With the players we have now:

Subs: Darlow,Saylor,Dummett,Colback,Aarons,Riviere,Armstrong

• 162 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:04 PM

On another note, congrats Leander Paes and Sania Mirza, double Indian triumph at WImbledon, thanks in large part to Martina Hingis! 🙂

• 163 optimistic prime // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:05 PM

I think Schteeve will play 4231

I think we’ll see Anita and Windi in the deep midfield rolls with SDJ in the middle of the 3.

Either side of SDJ is up for grabs, Cabella Sissoko Aaron’s or somebody new.

Mitrovich up front.

• 164 JamesToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:06 PM

People making judgements about all these players eg Sissoko poor at cm, I think mcclaren will get the best out of him and he will be a player who will make runs beyond the striker, like when Cisse did that little flick to Sissoko who got through on goal against Gateshead I think we’ll see a lot of that.

Players like Obertan, Gouffran, Williamson are just not prem standard I think we can all tell that however players like Sissoko, Cabella, Riviere just need time and PROPER coaching

• 165 Bambams // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Our Toon
    Fella I have always wanted to see him in a successful Toon team.
    Yes can’t argue about Rangers league and standard.
    It’s all about opinion and I would love to see him in a team that can attack rather than spend the 90 mins defending.
    He has a great first touch, good engine and can finish. Just needs a break (imo)
    Abeid was similar, thrown in due to injuries after a spell on loan.
    Let’s see what Cathro can do this season.
    If they/he fails then fair enough. Just think we do have some good players we could develop rather than throw them into a ‘pressure cooker relegation team’ where they are onto a hiding for nothing.
    This season last chance saloon for a few fringe players
    Cheers for the craic fella

• 166 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM

I’d pay 32m for Benteke, the goals he’s scored in a poor villa team will be doubled in a top 4 team or any other team

• 167 DevonToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Some of you are MAD to write off cabella… He will be our standout player next year. Put his bad form to pardew, carver, hoof ball, being dropped all on top of learning the pace of the prem! He can clearly cut it in the prem, games again chelsea, wba and arsenal standout foe me. He will flourish in a “footballing” team with De Jong, wijnaldum etc. Cabella is quality

• 168 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:11 PM

He failed at Cardiff on loan, failed at Rotherham on loan amd did well for Rangers at a piss poor level. Think injuries have really hampered his progress unfortunately….I’d put him on the scrap heap along with Riviere, Cabella, Obertan, Ferguson, Willo, Colo, Saylor, Gouffran

• 169 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Devon toon

What did he do in them games that standout for you mate?

• 170 lochinvar // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Clearly you have class !
    I did leave out the Bigg Market – wouldn’t want the lads head turned by all the lasses now would we

• 171 sing in the corner // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Our toon
    Nice research. But Sterling is a MF and Sanches is a striker so I would expect Sanchez to score more generally speaking. For Sterling to have caught everyone’s eye doing what he’s doing at 20 years old is another reason for teams with a big wad to be willing to pay high – he has potential to develop much more. Sanchez is now 26 so likely in his best years right now.

• 172 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Sing in the corner

Sorry mate but Raheem Sterling played upfront for liverpool last season in the majority of Liverpool games. Sanchez was mainly used wide left with Giroud or Welbeck upfront. Alexis Sanchez isn’t and has never been a striker. He plays wide for Chile as well

Both Sterling and Sanchez play wide, that’s there natural position. Both can play up top if needed as a last resort

• 173 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Janmaat Abdennour Rüdiger van anholt/Kolarov
    Wijnaldum de Jong
    Perez Aarons

van Aanholt is far too good for the mackems and much better than Haïdara, Kolarov would give us a lb equivalent of Janmaat.

• 174 Bambams // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Our Toon
    Still not sure about Obertan fella. Needs a run of games and it’s still early in his career at the Toon.
    Maybe just needs a break……..
    The rest you suggest…mmm Cabella could be decent if doubled his weight similar to what Mick Quinn did…..
    Williamson was our main threat at set plays (what will we do without him)
    Colo our captain…mmm writes letters to rally our fans ! Need his passion !
    Saylor. …True Geordie and we have to have a Geordie in the team to show the foreigners the way to deal with derby matches
    Other than the above mentioned I totally agree ( bar Vuckic mate)
    Cheers fella

• 175 beermonkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM

didn’t we have van anholt onloan a few seasons ago with an option to buy from Chelsea

• 176 Thump // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM

@beermonkey: He was an emergency loan when Enrique was injured in the Championship. No option to buy, though we wanted him (apparently)

• 177 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Don’t think we had an option to buy, was only with us for a month

• 178 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:36 PM

I think you should lay off the sauce lol

• 179 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:38 PM

OMG classic song just popped into my head re: a chant for Aanholt –

Too good to be a mackem, now what more can I say
    Too good to be a mackem, so it’s time for you to get away 🙂

• 180 beermonkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM

did we ever have another Chelsea left back onloan

• 181 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:41 PM

I have seen Obatan playing brilliantly in rare glimpses. he may come good under dutch spanish and french influence.

• 182 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:42 PM

We had a left back in Babayaro who we bought from Chelsea

• 183 sing in the corner // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Our Toon

Fair enough… Oddly Arsenal still list Sanchez as a forward and so did Chile… He certainly scored a canny few more goals than Sterling, but then again Arsenal scored a lot more than Liverpool… I think they’re both terrific players but I would still spend a few million more on Sterling if it was , which is unlikely, a straight choice, based on their development stage / potential.

• 184 beermonkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM

no not him not sure who I am thinking about

• 185 magpiesi // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Had van arnholt in championship was around 18-20 then looked okay going forward with his pace but always got caught up field some 5 years later he’s improved but wouldn’t say consistent. I would go for willems of psv he had lots of assists last season with crosses to depay and wijnaldum. Ron vlaar still up for grabs he might be a option for 2/3 years to steady def on a free.

• 186 ToonAndy // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:46 PM

• 187 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Really do hope mitrovic signs

• 188 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM

I see Douglas, who was all set to sign until that numpty jokeinere scuppered the transfer, only has 1 year left on his current contract at dinamo moscow, maybe we could use willo and tayls as bait

• 189 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM

If we sign Shaqiri I’ll eat my proverbial hat.

• 190 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Shaqiri, now there’s a class player. I would love it if we signed him love it!

• 191 toon kk // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:54 PM

It will take a good few quality signings to make any progress, most of our current squad shouldn’t be playing in the premier league. Any good player brought in needs quality support and service so without it they’ll not play to their potential.
    We need pace brought in badly also.
    There’s been terrible budget decisions made which has reduced us to what we are, it could take a few years to recover from.

• 192 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Some of the best footballers in the worlds are so called ‘lightweights’, mentioning no names 🙂 Anita is a grafter, has a good eye for short passing is pretty decent at chipped balls forward, and has all the qualities Check outlined. He might not be the ‘enforcer’ but he’ll be great alongside any enforcer in a ball playing passing side.

We’ll still need all the squad players, formation changers and impact subs. who may not be first or even second on the team sheet.

• 193 Toonfan8 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:10 PM

if I can choose between Shaquiri and Thauvin, then it is easy one for me 😀 but his wages may be problem, but he would gives us something special…great player

• 194 Moonraker15 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Vuckic will struggle in the Championship mate he’s too slow!

• 195 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM

We’ll if there’s talk of another 4-5 ten million pound signings then I don’t see why Shaqiri wouldn’t be on the list.

Would highly change my view on Ashley and his lack of ambition

• 196 Moonraker15 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM

• 197 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Don’t need speed to play am in the prem

• 198 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM

If we can’t or won’t get rid of Colocini, would taking the captaincy of him be too much for him to accept.

• 199 Beatroll25 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Next 2 windows:

Buy – Mitrovic (Anderlecht), Thauvin (Marsaille), N’Kolou (Marsaille), Byram (Leeds United), Gray (Birmingham), Robertson (Hull City)

Sell/release/loan – Willo, Elliot, Ferguson, Sissoko, Gouffran, Tiote, Obertan, Stevie Taylor, Dummet, Marveaux

Team 1

Team 2

Plus – Cisse, Riviere, Bigi, Armstrong, Satka, Woodman

• 200 stuart no9 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM

anyone know if mitrovics dad has decided that the Bigg Market is not as bad as people make out and that his son will be perfectly safe and protected from the rampant teenies so that we can get this deal done as quick as poss and get him in a black and white top, ffs

• 201 geordiesteve520 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Sure we had Van Aarnolt on loan in Championship, he’s at the Scum now so not set the world on fire since.

• 202 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I think if Raheem Sterling had enough faith in his own ability he should have stayed with Lpool, he is rich enough never to have to worry and is young enough to join a CL team if Lpool don’t work out, all he has done is make himself look like one of the most spoilt brats in football, no one outside of the nuevo rich city will ever like him !

• 203 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Too many people on the pitch.
    think we’d do well if we had an extra man next season though…

• 204 swemag // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:34 PM

It seems Schalke is being linked with Shaqiri, amount 16-17 million euros.

Fair price me thinks.

• 205 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:35 PM

People say he won’t be liked and that’s probably right. But do you think Ashley Cole regrets leaving Arsenal for Chelsea?

• 206 Graeme // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Looney Toon 89

when you are picking up the best part of £1,000,000 a month – I guess you could but up with an aweful lot of shit!!!

• 207 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Colo was as much a liability last season as willo was, he left huge gaping holes by playing completely out of position and despite all the goals we conceded he never seemed to realise.
    He is no longer good enough and hasn’t really been so since his aborted attempt to manufacture a move back home.
    Time to let him go, whereas Willo should be sold or paid off, don’t ever want to see him in a Toon shirt again, even in a friendly.

• 208 armchair fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM

If we’re looking for a winger, we should be getting Pione Sisto from Fc Midtjylland.

Pacey right winger with an eye for goal. Release clause at 4.8m

• 209 jane // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM

only my thought looking in from the outside but just wonder if he does come if he might want away sometime in the future if his agent and parents put pressure on him for some reason. would be best if he knows his own mind wants to come himself not just because other people think it is best for him. obviously just saying this without knowing the facts so could be completely wrong but just what I’m reading between the lines a bit from this.

• 210 lesh // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:52 PM

Liverpool get a crazy £49m for Sterling and they’ll have money to burn.

So, two possible scenaria –

We screw them for Sissoko and

They’ll go for Mitrovic with an equally stupid offer.

They’ve got previous so I wouldn’t put it past the bin-dipping gits!

• 211 optimistic prime // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM

I’ve read Qpr get £10mil if the sterling fee as he was bought from their youth team.

• 212 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Xherdan Shaqiri and Aleksandar Mitrovic cannot play in the same team , one is a Kosovan Muslim and the other a pure Serb – they would never pass to each other.

• 213 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:06 PM

On your reading, Ashley is saying something along the lines of:

“I’m staying until we win something, a cup or champions league qualification, although my aim is not to qualify for the champions league so I don’t even know why i mentioned it. But IF it happens to come along out of the blue, like if my aunty revealed she had a cock, I’m counting that for sure.

By the way, don’t get carried away when I say we’re going to bolt the horse to the cart, make our own luck and win something because bolting a horse to a cart is not a euphemism for anything. I’m not going to spend the money if that’s what you think. I just like bolting horses to carts. I think there’s a bit of gypsy in me somewhere.

And, if you note, I’m not putting a time frame on it. Definitely not. It might just happen one day in many years time. Our more astute fans will point that out to the rest.

Why did I even mention Champions League qualification? That really was just an afterthought. I don’t think I thought it through because it’s really not at all relevant to my plans.

No, we’re just going to be good enough to beat Man City or Chelsea in a cup final, but not be up there with them in the top 4 because my aunty hasn’t got a cock, at least I don’t think she has anyway. It just looks like it sometimes when she sits down in her dungarees.”

• 214 beermonkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:14 PM

don’t think fool will go for mitrovic
    they have sturridge balotelli ings lambert and others coming through
    think rogers will have to offload 1 or 2 before they can buy there they might have gone for gini had we not got him
    but you never know with rogers he likes to waste cash

• 215 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:17 PM

That is utter nonsense regarding Shakiri and Mitrovic

• 216 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Beer & lesh

They’ve also got Origi aswell

• 217 beermonkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:21 PM

yes I couldn’t think of his name
    I don’t think we have anything to worry about from them

• 218 sing in the corner // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Yeah I expect to see Sissoko photo’d taking a ferry ‘cross the Mersey and popping up on desert island discs with his Beatles vinyl saying how much he’s always admired Liverpool and their legendary fans

• 219 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:22 PM

The “Is Mitrovic here” debate rages on Tyneside and around Europe and the world. The authenticities of various sources are under intense scrutiny. A man by the name of Mitrovic is believed to be at SJP but this could be Mitrovic senior who has decided to have a break in North East England whilst negotiating with some of mainland Europe’s top clubs. Such is the unbearable tension that old Blackley has decided to lock himself in his house and shut his eyes and ears until Tuesday morning when we should know the truth of the saga.

In other news, the Greeks may have struck a deal to stay in the Eurozone.

• 220 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Our Toon
    You have a very literal mind
    It was said tongue in cheek

• 221 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Sorry mate but how on earth can you tell if some is posting a comment tongue in cheek on a blog in a comments section? I take all things as literal unless engaging in a conversation when it’s easier to pick up on things like sarcasm, tongue in cheek comments etc.

• 222 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Not sure Liverpool will be after any of our players think they have already spent most of the Sterling money on the players they have signed at the start of the window!!

They might go for Benteke but I think it would not work as they dont cross the ball or maybe Lacazette !!

• 223 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:46 PM

@blackley & brownlie Why would somebody come to Newcastle to negotiate a deal for somewhere that isn’t Newcastle? I could imagine that while he is in Newcastle he may be having discussions with other clubs but i would imagine the main reason to visit St. James’ would be related to a transfer there.
    I don’t think Memphis Depay’s family visited Stamford bridge to discuss a deal for Man Utd.
    god’s sake man.

• 224 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:51 PM

I think Liverpool will go for Benteke & try to offload Lambert/ Balotelli.
    They may also still go for Sneiderlein or someone like that too.

• 225 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:52 PM

I think benetke will end up at man utd rather than Liverpool

• 226 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:52 PM

They’ll go for Benteke. Benteke will be signing oh ferry across the mersey by this time next week.

Sissoko on the other hand will be signing yesterday all my troubles where so far-away for the next 12 months (again)

• 227 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Looney Toon
    It made me laugh. The idea that a father would come to Newcastle to sit in SJP and negotiate with other clubs.

• 228 Belfast // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:03 AM

His dad is probably looking a yacht as the signing on fee or something Blackley.

I bet Gazzas sister is gutted he’s retired she only got a sunbed when he signed for Spurs.

• 229 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Blockhead -you’ve promised to shut your eyes and ears – how about if you shut your gob -then we’ll have a deal- with the added bonus of not having to put up with your twisting of the facts, as we know them, and touting for a ruck.
    You are clearly an argumentative knacker -it was too much to expect your attitude to change after you got banned.

• 230 Fostino // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Schneiderlan to United. The poor saints get raided every year. Clyne. .Toby and now their cm. It’ll be hard for them to recover from this again

• 231 Noel Worst // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Get Mitrovic in, a throwback to the days of out of shape, louche beer drinking, hard as nails CFs!

• 232 Belfast // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Where’s Van Gal going to play all these midfielders then?

• 233 David Fraser // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:14 AM

full back with pace rodriquez swiss dude at wolfsburg brilliant tackling and crossing

• 234 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Could be a perfect time to play Southampton unless they start trying to rival us for the players we want to sign with the Schneiderlin money !!

• 235 David Fraser // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Looney_Toon_89 schneiderlin has had medical tonight at man u deal is done he aint going to the scousers

• 236 microbar // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:35 AM

His father is just playing chess with the other clubs who are interested. Looks like he will get a cut of the transfer fee.
    The lad clearly doesn’t want to come to Newcastle.
    Lets just move on now to the next striker on the list.
    This is clearly dead in the water.

• 237 lesh // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Beer, OutToon

Having so many forwards’ll mean nowt to Rodgers – he’s like a kid in a sweet shop when there’s money available. But there’s said to be an interest in Sissoko so we may as well get £20m for him!

Maybe the ‘pool owner’ll say no unless they sell after all, there’ll want some cash to spend in January after Rodgers’s been shown the door.

• 238 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:37 AM

It’s time for old man Carr to justify his job by making a series of astute, left field, under the radar signings to bolster our defence. Get it done so we can ship Willo, Taylor and Colo out as soon as possible.

• 239 nufc786 // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party

arent they in talks for jordy clasie as a replacement?

• 240 armchair fan // Jul 13, 2015 at 12:53 AM

Ah there’s a player, Jordi Clasie. Lovely pair of feet.

• 241 Southern Pride // Jul 13, 2015 at 3:10 AM

Hi Guys I have seen your line ups and trying to fit everyone in – just wanted to add my two cents:

GK – Krul / Darlow

LB – Colback, Dummet, Haidara + new LB

CB- Colo, Taylor

CB – New CB, Lascelles / Willo

RB – Janmaat, New RB

CDM – Anita, Tiote

MCR – Gini, SDJ, Marv

MCL – Sissoko, Colback, Abeid

Forward (Left) – Aarons, Ayoze, Gouff

Forward (Right) – Cabella, Riviere, Obertan

Forward (Centre) – Mitrovic, Cisse

So if we buy someone like berahino or shaqiri, they can slot in where cabella or Aarons is. Can anyone tell me why colback can’t play left back?

Can’t remember which poster but Terrence Kolongo is a good shout for CB.

• 242 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 5:37 AM

What a beautiful morning, another day of speculation with little action to look forward too, come Charnley get yer finger oot and do some work.

• 243 lochinvar // Jul 13, 2015 at 6:37 AM

So Sterling is off to City for £49million but has yet to agree “personal terms”
    What’s yours Raheem ?
    “Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps”
    And what do we say ?
    Oh yes ” please ”

• 244 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 6:46 AM

£49million for a spoilt brat, it’s obscene, but as they say, money talks.

Not sure if he will progress at City, he may end up a bench warmer.

• 245 expatmag // Jul 13, 2015 at 6:49 AM

I just hope Aarons doesnt develop an attitude like Sterling in the next year or two.

• 246 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 6:56 AM

Amen to that mate, the last thing we want is more disruption at the club. We have only just dragged ourselves up onto our knees, still a long way to go before we can stand up and be counted.

• 247 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:04 AM

Sterling wants a slap!

• 248 expatmag // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Too true mate.

We need to offer Aarons a decent contract though because the last offer was way below what he would accept.

Under our new coaching set up, I am banking on both Aarons and Lascelles being fast tracked into regular senior duty.

As I understand it, didnt Roy Hodgson fast track them both to training with the England senior lads at some stage last season?

• 249 expatmag // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:09 AM

He wouldnt have got away with this under someone like Joe Harvey……

• 250 bobby_ollox // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:10 AM

all we did was sign one player – hardly up onto our knees just yet to be fair.

• 251 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:14 AM

I agree, with the new money we have coming in they should both be offered a lucrative 5 year deal, not stupid money but decent.

I just hope we are no longer a selling club, and that under McClaren we can keep the good players and build the team around them.

• 252 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:16 AM

And new coaching staff mate, there is a lot of change just there.

• 253 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Bobby…I think most will agree not major has happened as of yet…

…they still work extremely slow in the transfer marked and obviously have problems closing deals…I just hope we don’t linger too long (as always)

• 254 expatmag // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Things are a hell of a lot better today than they were 4 or 5 weeks ago when we were all expecting Carver and co. to be appointed and what little money available spent on rubbish.

Since then:

Carver and Stone sacked
    A competent HC and coaching team appointed
    Ashley has spent big on one player with apparently more to come.
    The promise of a decent standard of possession attacking football to watch.

Yes. I would say we have a right to be a little optimistic. After all, things could have been a lot worse.

• 255 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:25 AM

*not = nothing

• 256 hibbit // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:33 AM

i believe the club are waiting to see if they can get a work permit for mitrovic as he is none eu…….. should find out later today

• 257 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Aarons get a lucrative 5 year deal? Have we ever discovered how long he has left on his current deal? I’ve seen articles saying it expires this summer, in 1 year and in 2 years.

Part of the problem with modern ootball is kids getting too much too quickly on the back of very little evidence. Aarons is a kid that was released by Bristol City in part due to injury issues. He has just missed most of a full season through injury.

A 5 year contract, maybe, but starting on an average player wage for a youngster coming through, with high incentives built in. If he stays fit and does well, he should be suitably rewarded, but definitely not a high basic for a kid who has struggled with injuries and has barely featured for the first team.

• 258 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:39 AM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, but I’m not sure how it works, does he have to agree the deal first and put pen to paper before they can apply for a work permit.

• 259 kevymartins // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:40 AM

I don’t think we will get him. The club just needs to say look this is wasting our time and this is our final offer join now or take your chances waiting for another club. personally I think that if a player is having doubts about signing then just leave him because before your know it if it goes wrong or right for him heel be forcing a move out. I would take half the Mitrovic money and go take Luuk de Jong back give him a proper chance with a decent team. Him and gini destroyed their league last season he was outstanding and he is the mitrovic type of player we need big and strong.

• 260 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:42 AM

A little more optimistic, yes, but there is a long way to go to prove anything has changed substantially for the better. As far as the coaching staff goes I only see 2 of them as very good appointments, Cathro and Black. McClaren is okay, not exciting, but a decent upgrade on what we had in terms of coach, style and personality.

Simpson and Schoenmaker are underwhelming. Simpson’s coaching and management CV makes Carver’s CV look very good. The only positive for Simpson is that he knows how McClaren works, and they can hit the ground running as a pair.

Time will tell, I won’t be convinced we have seen real progress at the club until Feb 2017. Continuos progress, and no more shooting ourselves in the foot by derailing a season in the January sales.

• 261 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:44 AM

A deal would be agreed and signed based on a work permit being granted generally. There shouldn’t be any problems with him getting a work permit though. He has played in just under 75%of their internationals for 2 years, and is highly regarded, so even if it has to go to appeal he should get through.

• 262 firebug666 // Jul 13, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Like I said a lucrative deal not a stupid one mate. He will need a deal that is competitive if we are to keep him here, but as we have just seen with Sterling heads can be turned quickly, and stupid money can spoil the game.

Getting the balance right is the key, give him decent money and football, as oppose to ridiculous money and bit parts.

Injuries are an obvious risk but that can be applied to any player.

previous post: Signing This Striker Will Make It Easier To Get Charlie Austin