The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Aleksandar Mitrovic Very Close To Newcastle Move

11:45 am, Sunday, July 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 111 Comments

The Mirror is reporting today that Newcastle are close to signing Anderlecht striker Aleksandar and that is backed up to some extent by a report in in Belgium, that says the Serbian International completed his last training session at Anderlecht yesterday and was smiling when he signed autographs for the Serbian fans for the last time.

aleksandat mitrovic training anderlecht

Aleksandar Mitrovic training with Anderlecht yesterday
For the last time reports reports that negotiations are still ongoing at Newcastle, but there seem to be no fresh reports of Roma, Porto or Benfica making a last minute deal with Anderlecht for the striker.

That could still happen but Anderlecht will not wait too much longer, especially when Newcastle are willing to pay €18M in cash up front – that’s around £12.6M.

But the Mirror is more positive and says that Mitrovic will be Newcastle’s second signing of the summer, following the signing of Dutch International Georginio Wijnaldum yesterday.

Newcastle officials are still in the process of convincing the player and his family that Newcastle is the best place for him to go, and it would appear that Newcastle’s is still the only viable bid on the table for him.

It’s really good news and bad news – good news that it would appear Newcastle have lodged the only legitimate offer to Anderlecht, but bad news that it’s taking so long to convince him and his family to join the Magpies.

We suppose just like Georginio Wijnaldum turned down a lucrative move to PSG last summer because the time just wasn’t right, we suppose there’s a possibility Aleksandar could do the same thing.

Newcastle are offering him a lucrative five year deal.

Last season he scored 28 goals in 51 games for Anderlecht, and in his two seasons in Belgium, the former Partizan striker scored 44 goals in 91 appearances and he already has 13 caps for Serbia.

Update: Mitrovic didn’t play for Anderlecht today but watched from the stands, and there are reports his parents are now in Newcastle, along with his agent – as they discuss the move with Newcastle officials.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

111 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:48 AM

£18m is £12.6m?

Give us a currency Ed! 🙂

As for “Runaround £12.6m”2…is this a new fitness regime for wor Mike? Makes sense, could motivate him. I bet he looks splendid all kitted out in SD gear too.

• 2 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Dear dear, can’t even quote properly.

18m is 12m….No currency given Ibiza, so why did you?

It’s alright, I’ll see myself out.

Where’s the door again?

• 3 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Stay away from that Acme gear Ibiza.
    It’s lethal.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM

BandB…So I’ve seen. It’s just that it’s littered all over the place at the minute.

This place could do with a good summer clear out.

Do you hear that ticking?

• 5 the ledge // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM

would love to see him sign ,going to be a world class striker in the next few years

• 6 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Somebody mentioned the other day he might have trouble getting a work permit. I wonder if the club have looked in to this ? With Charnley in charge probably not.

• 7 ronaldo aarons // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Funkness from previous thread

I do agree we need some wingers, I’ve been saying this for ages. Like you say we have aarons but have no one else in case he gets injured. We have no one at all on the right. This is why I think we keep being linked to thauvin who is generally a winger and plays a little more on the right. Cabella is not a winger. Also we’ve been linked with rolan of Bordeaux who I rate a lot. He is not a centre forward, like those who haven’t seen him play say, and usually plays on the right of a three. He too is worth looking at. He has a knack of ghosting in from the right to score goals and is clever in his movement as he is usually not picked up. Very good player. Quite Suarez esque in his movement actually.

• 8 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Its only natural we have to convince him, he was playing CL footy last season and it one of the hottest prospects in europe at 20Yrs old.

If we didnt have a hard job to convince him then he would just be a mercenary who wanted the money.

Still Lets see what happens, think if he does sign it will be for 2 years max before moving on but if he does well for us for 2 years then we will make a good profit and good luck to him- maybe even we will have become so fantastic and in Europe that he will want to stay longer????

• 9 mickalfas // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Get him signed up
    Get a few good years out of him and city might pay £50m when he’s only 24
    No brainer really

• 10 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM

I’m really unsure on Mitrovic, we are not his first choice, but we apparently are the only ones in with a bid for him, yet with all this umming and erring from the player,and waiting for a better offer I think we should just move on to another target.

I’m sure for the money being offered we could bring in another decent striker.

• 11 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Ibizatoon// Jul 12, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I had heard there’s two sharks swimming in the blue bit.

• 12 JP...from The Rock // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I really hope we sign Mitrovic up. It sure is taking long. Do you guys think Charnley will sign him up even with McClaren in America or will he wait till the manager is back?

I also agree that we desperately need wingers too. I don’t want to see Obertan and Gouffran in a Newcastle shirt again. They offer nothing and are way below our standards.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Belfast…(and a special thanks to Google)…

Dr. Evil: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?
    Number Two: Sea Bass.
    Dr. Evil: [pause] Right.
    Number Two: They’re mutated sea bass.
    Dr. Evil: Are they ill tempered?
    Number Two: Absolutely.
    Dr. Evil: Oh well, that’s a start.

• 14 banjax // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM

The sins of under-investment are coming home to roost in the guise of a shambolic period showing lack of ambition. The lesson for Mike Ashley is being learned at every turn when players are hesitating to sign for those reasons. Wijnaldum is hopefully the start of a list of quality players coming to Newcastle for success as well as money. Ambition has to be demonstrated and Newcastle must keep up the momentum of improvement in every area of football, particularly in the area of regaining its once cherished reputation.

• 15 Reyantoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Here is the Mirror’s quote re Mitrovic :
    “Aleksandar Mitrovic’s family have landed on Tyneside as Newcastle tie up a deal forthe Serbian striker.Anderlecht are willing to do business at £12million and club officials are now convincing Mitrovic and relatives that Newcastle is the best place for him. Both Porto and Roma have been pursuing him, but the Steve McClaren era is finally swinging into life as Mitrovic is poised to sign a five-year deal..”

It seems we are not his first choice (we can’t fault him for that),but his preferred clubs,prob’y
    Porto,Benfica and Roma,made other preferences than him.Roma will buy Dzeko,not sure about porto and benfica but we can’t say they are in short financially,esp porto.
    Anyway,his transfer probably delayed because his current club and family have convincing job to do, to pack his back and come to sjp.As for the fee,Newcastle & Anderlecht have agreed!!

• 16 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Firebug basically we’re the ugly lady at the party, and we’ll only get our man if the attractive ladies go home.

This is the state of play.

• 17 mickalfas // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM

The problem is that they have been our standard for years ,big changes are afoot
    Fingers crossed

• 18 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Fair point
    It seems strange that Bulgaria and Romania are in the EU but Serbia isn’t
    He probs will need a work permit as he will not have the requisite number of International caps.

• 19 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Frickinnnnnnnnnnnn laser beams 🙂

• 20 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM

That’s why you see so many ugly children.

• 21 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Re previous thread post – I don’t need to tell you who are Ashley’s biggest critics on this blog, which is a largely anti-Ashley blog. I’ve been the only one voicing my discontent that the target has become top 8 for this season when Ashley said he was targeting top 4 just a few weeks ago. Nobody except you has come out and agreed that we should be aiming for the stated target.

• 22 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Yes Jib somebody mentioned it the other day, and suggested we where the only english team interested because he wouldn’t be able to obtain a work permit in the uk.

You’d like to think the club have looked into this, though I’m not so sure.

• 23 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I completely agree with you.
    Whether you like it or not 🙂

• 24 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Eloquently put!

My fear is simple, he does not really want to be with us, and therefore is unlikely to settle in, he is a player who will have his head turned in every transfer window where the press link his name to any other team.

With Roma, Porto and Benfica being most likely linked as they are this window.

He may prove me wrong, but it’s a worry bringing in a player who’s head is already elsewhere.

• 25 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM

No you haven’t.
    You are stating the misrepresentation in the middle of me getting it in the neck from chasing-rabbits for agreeing with you.
    Even Jib, to his credit, does not go for Big Lie tactics in the way you do.
    It is pathetic.

• 26 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Yes he may end up going home with the ugly lady so we’re still in with a chance but it all depends on what the attractive ladies want to do.

This is all for Jespers benefit by the way he’ll be along later asking tough questions.

• 27 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM

He must have got one for Belgium , he plays in a Stadium about 3 miles from the Euro Parliament
    Ha ha ha
    By the way when he signed for Anderlecht the family were heavily involved as well

• 28 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Was that compliment what they call back – handed ?

• 29 honest fan // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Not sure how it works Belfast but full international players usually don’t have many problems with permits

• 30 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:22 PM

You know I love you really.
    I wouldn’t be without you for the world.

• 31 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:23 PM

He could get a conditional work permit, and maybe that’s what the hold up is, they may be waiting for that to come through before making an announcement.

• 32 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Are you McCreery from another blog ?
    You have a very similar abrasive style with a lot of “look at me” thrown in.

• 33 mickalfas // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Thanks to sky TV ,the attractive ladies don’t have the funds to match the ugly lady
    Champions league v money
    Let’s wait and see which is the more attractive

• 34 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I honestly don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve completely lost me. Unlike the bloggers I’m talking about, you’re the only one who appears to be holding Ashley to account to the full for his top 4 target. I can’t understand why the rest are giving him an easy ride.

• 35 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Ashley didn’t say he was targeting top 4 he said that he wasn’t going to sell until we had won something, and that finishing in the CL spots counted as winning something. He didn’t say, “we are targeting a top 4 finish next season”

So with that in mind, the “stated target” would in fact be minimum 8th place, which believe it or not I actually agree with you on. Glad we got there in the end. Anyway, its all about opinions, eh?!

• 36 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Then I apologise.

• 37 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I think the rules for work permits in the uk where changed only a few months ago though. I know you have to have a certain about of caps or something but I remember reading they’ve made it harder for non eu members to obtain one.

• 38 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM

You dont know B & B by now??????

Shame on you. And I thought you recognised a total tosser from a distance!!!!!!……

• 39 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM

We’re not giving him an easy ride because he didn’t say that top 4 was the target for next season. Go and watch the interview again to jog your memory, you must have been to sleep since then.

• 40 Moonraker15 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM

It makes a difference when the ugly one is loaded! haha

• 41 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Did anyone think that targeting top 8 could be a loose term for anywhere between 1st and 8th……lol

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM

McCreery. One of my favourite players in the day. No. I’m Blackley.

I’m surprised you’re getting into the silly doppelgangers malarkey.

I don’t care if you are Jeff. I enjoy your posts. You’re good value. I don’t even mind if you call me rude things like you did yesterday.

• 43 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:35 PM

I think we’d all agree that fourth is usually regarded as preferable to eighth.
    And it really would show an intent to put away the mediocre targets of the past.
    Very usual in attracting top players too.
    No-one would pounce on them for finishing eighth. As they might if they say eighth and then finish 12th.

• 44 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:35 PM

NO Mitrovic for Anderlecht in there game today with Ba?ak?ehir FK today.

• 45 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I recognised 11 total tossers from a distance at Cardiff yesterday.
    They were wearing floppy green caps.

Ha Ha Ha

• 46 chuck // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Hopefully we can sign this youngster, as he appears to be our only chance of securing a prospect who comes close to becoming a new Shearer.
    Why is he not being snapped up by a top club, possibly his age, he being still an unproven EPL quality player aged twenty, not much different to our other youngster signe last summer.
    Sure it’s a lotta money for an unproven player, but he has great potential and look at some of the players we didn’t sign over the last few seasons, who in retrospect now look like bargains.
    Of course the choice of living in Rome or London are major attractions for most players, but that can be achieved later in his career, better to have the experience of playing first team football on a regular basis at NUFC than sitting on the bench at a championship level club, not to mention a nice piece of change comming in each year.

• 47 Moonraker15 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Something happened to change Ashley’s plan,was it a combination of the maoc and Rangers knocking hlm back!

• 48 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM

2 points.

Firstly, I wonder how much input Mitrovic had actually had with regards to where he ends up and how much is just down to speculation or his agent. It appears to have been on and off for the past week but it might have nothing whatsoever to do with Mitrovic’s willingness to come to STJ.

Secondly, Prior to being injured, Squidward amazed almost everyone by producing on the pitch including a motm performance. With a proper set of trainers around him, I think it’s more than possible they could improve him dramatically. And we know he has pace to burn and then some.

• 49 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Chasing rabbits
    So tell us. When he was talking about bolting the horse to the cart, making our own luck and winning something, what season was he talking about?

• 50 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:44 PM

BandB @36
    No problem. I was generaliding when I was talking about his biggest critics. Perhaps you’d already posted when I said this? I didn’t have you in mind.

• 51 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:45 PM

To Mr Mitrovic & family, please stop wasting other people’s time & decide if your coming on board or not. If the answer is no that will be fine, just stop wasting our time so we can go bring in another striker that we have been missing for years.

Btw, didn’t Ed mention in one of his threats a few days ago that he was a massive fan of shearer

• 52 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Mitrovic in the stands watching Anderlecht. Latest in the #nufc liveblog with @craig_johns:

• 53 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:49 PM

The way I see it, Ashley has offered a bunch of terms for a new start.
    Some argue they were so vague as to be meaningless. I don’t understand why they would choose to read it that way, when it seems far better to take him at face value and expect him to deliver.
    I know you don’t agree with my boycott tactics …but Ashley has something I want back, and I would deal with the devil to have it.

• 54 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Part of the tactics to let you win the first one thinking your superior before grinding your noses into pitch winning the next 4 proving you lot are actually inferior…

Its a marathon not a sprint, cobber

• 55 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:53 PM

@ Belfast 16

Sometimes the ugly lady takes the guy home even before the attractive ladies have gone, especially when she’s offering to do things that the attractive ladies would never do.

• 56 colwell // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Whilst Mitrovic would be a great addition I think we still lack that attacking player with pace to burn. Some one that gives us a constant out ball and keep defenders on the back foot.

• 57 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Of course we’d all rather finish 4th than 8th.

So if the club said the target for minimum finish next season was 4th & we finished 8th you would see that as ok and wouldn’t have a go because they gave it their best.

But you might have a go if they said the target was 8th & we only managed 12th.

Blackley, I don’t believe he was specific in defining a season which he wanted to win something by. As for “bolting the cart to the horse” I believe this to be reference to investing in the squad to be able to achieve on the pitch success (the cart, if you will) and couple that with the sound financial position we are in as a football club (the horse in this case). “making our own luck” this could simply mean he won’t ship out half the team during the Jan window so if we get any injuries or suspensions we wouldn’t be running so thin on the ground like last year.

• 58 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:57 PM

2 x £8-12m CBs in
    1 x CF/ST in (preferably Mitrovic)
    1-2 another £10m players in

then …Ashley OUT

Forget the BlandB hair-splitting 8th place finish – have we ever finished 8th in the EPL ?

Let’s go for 5th ! and a Cup Final appearance… no point underachieving with the new squad… Let’s go for overachievement every day..

• 59 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Partial extract from the Mr Tubbs interview. Nowhere does it state any targets for this season, nor does it state any time frames for anything. (unless you can see otherwise). Therefore debates contrasting an eighth finish versus a fourth finish are based on an erroneous position/understanding of what Mr Tubbs REALLY said.
    “He went onto say his ambition for the club was to win something. He said: “We are now definitely going to win something and by the way I shan’t be selling until we do.

When pushed on selling the club, he replied: “Not at any price. And by the way, when I say win something, if we ever get in a position of a Champions League place, that counts as winning something.”

“From this day forward we will be making our own luck.

“I will not be picking the next manager, it’s not what I do.

“It is the job of (managing director) Lee Charnley and the football board to make football decisions, as it was with (former managing director) Derek Llambias picking Alan Pardew.

“I will not be picking the next manager. My job is to make sure they have the maximum amount of financial resources and it is their job to get the best pound-for-pound value out of those resources.

“To be categorically clear, I won’t be going anywhere until I win something.”

• 60 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM

I didn’t say I’d have a go.
    I’d say we’d shot low and finished lower.
    Which would be business as usual.
    Which is not what any of us wants.

• 61 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:04 PM

£60m spemding spree headlines all ower is a load of t*ss.

£60m is careful well thought out investment;maintaing asset value; overdue; looking to achieve in the near future; keeping the customers happy; fulifllling own objective of ‘success’.

It is NOT a spemnding spree – bindippers do it but we don’t

• 62 mickalfas // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Playing attractive ,exciting football with a top 8 finish ,and having a real go in the cups would be a success for his first season imo
    Compared to what we’ve been watching recently like

• 63 bigmike23 // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM

We should go in for Javier Hernandez would be a great signing in my eyes we can give him first team football and thats what he wants. We should try our luck if he makes it over to america for talks with that MLS team

• 64 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Anyway, maybe you should take this up with overtheline.

His fifth place target is apparently less bland than my fourth place one.

Mathematically speaking………..

Have fun chaps.

• 65 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Ok yes, so if we aimed for 4th & finished 8th, you’d be happy with that…

All I’m saying is, if the club is targeting a minimum finish, and they don’t achieve it, whatever position it might be and however many positions behind the finish, to me is still failure. But you would accept it if the club failed (again) to meet their target. That doesn’t speak for a club heading in the right direction.

If we targeted 8th and finished 8th, we would have achieved what we set out to do. Which would tell me that we’re making progress and moving in the right direction.

I have targets at work which I must meet each month, I don’t say, “right I’m going to save the company £1,000,000,000 this month because that’s a high target”
    I set something realistic, something S.M.A.R.T.
    Otherwise you’re setting yourself up to fail.

• 66 Offkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Check the toastie and expat – how about you try and learn to read before you attempt to belittle someone for something they have not written. Clever chaps.

• 67 Offkey // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:14 PM

to be fair, check the toastie has always been an idiot

• 68 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:14 PM

60m is nonsense. 60m includes the next 2 windows as well i believe. it’s already well known that under Ashley our budget works across 1 year and not each window by itself.

• 69 JamesToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Just getting top 10 and having a go at the cups while playing attacking and attractive football would be a fantastic season imo

• 70 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Retribution was warranted

• 71 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:23 PM

The smartest people don’t have other people setting their targets 🙂

• 72 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM

We’ve had this targets argument every season for years – especially after Pardews 5th place yeaar when we could have finished in a CL place except for a wobble in form., but didn;t invest to push on then. (Bad thinking MrA.)

We have to realise we are not in the top 4 in the current pecking order, though another 5-6 £10m players will, carefully chosen, blending into a team and with confidence (worth ££££m), make us competitive at that level. I picked 5th because I feel we can get there even with Liverpool, Southampton and Spurs having good seasons. I think it is achievable and not pie in the sky. Others may think 4th is well within our new team’s abilities.

8th is an upper mid table target and nothing special at all. We need to be aiming above Swansea, Stoke and their ilk. Its about time we were everybody’s second favourite team again isn’t it ?

• 73 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:27 PM

You are somewhat reinventing the wheel with regard to all this stuff.
    Especially with regard to me.

• 74 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:29 PM

It has nowt to do with Ashley
    Our accounting year ends 31st May every year as does every club in the EPL.

• 75 nut meg // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Why didn’t he just we’ll try to finish as high up the league as we possibly can ?

• 76 nut meg // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM

• 77 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Hardly – as you were involved in previous year’s discussions – this was one of the main hopes of the OV crew – that it really was downriver of Haltwhistle

• 78 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM

When I used “smart” I wasn’t referring levels of intelligence in any way. Its a mnemonic acronym. (ill save you the time of having to google that: Its an acronym that is used to help you remember information) And if in your comment back you refer to me, I do set my own targets. Which doesn’t make you look very… smart! (in the intelligent sense)

Anyway, my point was, basically, I’m sick of the club promising things and not delivering, so I expect with all the changes they have made, for them to start being able to deliver and meet their “football performance related targets” as well as their financial ones.

• 79 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Why is everything one big argument on here. All I read is he said she said bullshit all the time why can’t we all just get along.

• 80 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Now that would be a novel idea.

• 81 firebug666 // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:47 PM

overtheline @72

I not sure we will become everyone second team whilst Ashley is the owner.

So far we have made one very good signing, and granted there is time to make more, but there is also that same time to have the rug pulled firmly from underfoot.

I don’t see the imminent signing of Mitrovic for example, if he is the striker we are pinning our hopes on, at the moment he is sitting in the stands watching his team play in Istanbul.

As usual the club is surrounded by far too many rumours and not enough actual action.

Only time will tell in this window, but as for becoming everyone’s second team again? I think we have a long way to go, we have to climb above laughing stock first.

• 82 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Don’t be caught on slicks when you should be on intermediates.
    Or the other way round.
    Keeps you out of the gravel.

• 83 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM

It really does put a dampener on what is usually a fantastic hub of Newcastle supporters.

You’ll notice the decent posters tend to stop posting when the arguments start. And rightly so.

• 84 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Rudiger, Veltman an mitrovic sign them NOW!!

• 85 JamesToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Mitrovic not selected for anderlecht game today. Brother is at st james park

• 86 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM

I’m with BandB. This was a major, bold statement by Ashley. It was designed to give the clear impression that the club had big money and was ready to spend it in order to win something. Too many people are looking for get outs in the small print. There aren’t any.

• 87 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Lewspi glad I’m not the only one that noticed that

• 88 JamesToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Would be happy if we went for Joel Veltman from Ajax, ball playing defender (something we’re lacking), got 7 call ups for holland in the last year.

• 89 mickalfas // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Let’s face it ,if the defence ain’t sorted in this window,top 10’s a pipedream
    Doesn’t matter whos banging the goals in

• 90 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM

I see people debating about the future direction of our club on a football blog.
    I keep a diary for my deeper thoughts.

• 91 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Blackley you are adamant that Ashley said in his interview that the target next season was top 4 finish. Did you take my advice and go and listen to it?
    Your point @ 86, he gave the clear impression there was big money available to try and win something. Well yesterday he broke his own transfer fee record for a single player, who was also a target for Scum which was an added bonus. And it looks like he’s going to almost double that in the next few days, just on 2 players. So that straight away shows that we are willing to splash out more than we did before on playing staff. Other reports, if to be believed, say there will be another circa. £40m spent on other targets, min. £10m each. There’s also still 6weeks of the transfer window left, so still plenty of time to get the rest of the business complete.

Your right, there are no get outs in the small print, your just wrong with what your saying. Clear out of coaching staff & more ambition in the transfer market are the only two things we can really judge at the moment until the season starts. And so far I haven’t heard anybody complain about the coaching staff or the signing yesterday, and overall there is a much more positive feeling surrounding the club on social media etc. Even fans from other clubs have passed comment on it.

• 92 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Are you certain and what is your source?

• 93 Moonraker15 // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:06 PM

With the new planned keepball style, would Mapou have been a success if we are gonna play from the back?

• 94 corkypants // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Belfast:- Dont think we are the ugly lady think we are the slighty chubby one that has just joined the gym (lots of potential as long as your willing to wait)

• 95 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:10 PM

It’s all over twitter, backed up with photos of his brother in the changing rooms, and pictures not long appeared of Mitrovic in the stands watching their game. Guess he didn’t want to injure himself 😉

• 96 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Just heard Shane watson has lost his left leg-pad…. but it’s ok, the England bowlers have said they can easily find it.

• 97 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Excuse me….

But why is the club a lady?

Isn’t it run by not entirely gorgeous men?

Is see, reading back, that there were a lot of very aggressive and personal insults flying around last night and earlier this morning.

I didn’t see “decent posters” wading in to have a little word then.

• 98 Moonraker15 // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Anyone who is questioning what’s going on at the present time has obviously got issues. Ffs just enjoy what’s happening. It’s a breath of fresh air after king Percy’s devious selfish reign. You don’t spend 14 Mil on a midfield player if your not gonna sort the worst defence on the PL last season although some of that was caused by us not competing in midfield.

• 99 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Not sure if your poo would have been good In this team mate 😉

But seriously, I agree that mbiwa would have been much more suited to the current team!

• 100 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Still not convinced about this transfer. One min he is here, next its his family, then he doesnt want to come. Dad holding out for Roma et.c et.c et.c. The line is even more elusive than usual.

• 101 jazzyp // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Chancel mbemba being linked today from Anderlecht, maybe a double deal with Mitrovic in the offing.
    Mitrovic’s brother being shown around Sjp Friday and his family flown over. Hopefully the deal nearly done

• 102 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM

So your having a pop at me now?

• 103 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Ho Ho Ho……very witty

Like I said before, it is a marathon not a sprint

• 104 chasing_rabbits // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM

A Wiseman once said to me to beware and not get sucked in to the arguing mentality from blackley / bandb. Unfortunately I have failed in this, as is evident on the blog today, but I beg you to avoid it at all costs. For your own sanity if nothing else

• 105 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM

I would say awaydays, the ledge and Jib telling me I was a sad old lady who should take up bingo was having a pop.
    You didn’t speak up then.
    I was debating with people with a different point of view.
    I have a theory that “decent posters” want one side of the debate shut up, and don’t really care how offensive people they agree with are.

• 106 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Oh i have no doubt Oz will come back stronger on thursday, but many had england to get whitewashed again. I am enjoying the moment.

• 107 jazzyp // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Shire brook

Don’t do it…. I beg ya don’t do it

• 108 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM

I’m not on here all the time and I don’t scroll through the comments

• 109 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Spit it out man!
    You mean I should take up bingo, don’t you?

• 110 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM

BandB no you shouldn’t take up bingo

• 111 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Because if you did scroll back through the posts, you would see that I have never shirked from asking people”on my side” to lay off others, even ones who have been rude to me in the past.
    And I have always been happy if I feel I have been unfair to apologise, even to folks who would never dream of doing the same.
    “Decent posters”, as the very reasonable Ibizatoon has pointed out, use the phrase in an attempt to shut down one point of view.
    Which isn’t very decent of them.

previous post: Newcastle Announce 24 Man Squad For America