The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Signing This Striker Will Make It Easier To Get Charlie Austin

2:15 pm, Sunday, July 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 141 Comments

Juts like Newcastle signing top Dutch midfielder Georginio  Wijnaldum yesterday will make it a bit easier to persuade Aleksandar Mitrovic to sign for us – then if we do manage to get the 20 year-old to sign for Newcastle – it will make it that much easier to then sign Charlie Austin.

The latest news on Mitrovic is that his parents are in Newcastle talking to club officials about the potential move of their son.

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic – Newcastle talking to parents about the move

Don’t  forget the lad is still only 20,  so it’s important that Newcastle show they will take care of him and that he has a great chance of being on the world stage playing in the Premier League – with the games being televised live around the world.

If we do get this youngster through the door,  then that will be a shock to us first of all – we thought bigger clubs than Newcastle would be in for him.

But if he is signed – and that’s still an if – then it will make it easier to sign some of our other top targets like Charlie Austin,  because it will show that Mike Ashley was serious when he said he would give some big money to Lee Charnley and the Board to bring in top players this summer.

That was after we only just survived the drop last season in that very last game – which would have been an absolute disaster for Newcastle United.

Charlie Austin has recently talked about a potential move,  but is giving nothing away:

“What’s going on back at home is for other people to worry about,” “That’s for Les Ferdinand, Chris Ramsey, my agent and Tony Fernandes to sort out.¨

“For me, I’m here to get my head down and work as hard as I can, hopefully play in a couple of games whilst I’m out here and prepare for Charlton on the 8th.¨

“Until I’m told otherwise, I’m a QPR player and I’m preparing for the Championship next year, and if I’m told otherwise, then so be it.”

Newcastle have also been linked with 22 year-old Stuttgart center-back Antonio Rudiger, who has already played  6 times for Germany, and is one of the top youngsters playing in the Bundesliga.

Perhaps this 6ft 3ins defender is one of the players we are busy trying to sign right now?

Getting Mitrovic in shortly after Wijnaldum would also help to sell whatever season tickets are still available at the club.

The news in the Chronicle today is that Ashley has given £60M to the Newcastle Board to spend on players to improve the squad this summer.

Departures may also happen, but it looks like Newcastle are being sensible and want to get their top signings in before letting any players – maybe Cheick Tiote, Fab Coloccini and Haris Vukcic – leave the club.

Finally, Georginio Wijnaldum seems to have quickly become Newcastle’s main cheerleader and says that last season was disappointing but an exception and this season we have to qualify at least for the Europa League.

141 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM

I see all the US matches are in the middle of the night. How convenient!

• 2 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM

• 3 Bambams // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:24 PM

I appreciate he is only 20 and he will be taking loads of advice as well as his parents who will be asking questions.
    I just worry a little that he does not want to sign for us, maybe the reports about this from the press were misleading and he can’t wait to sign.
    I just want players who want to be here like Wini !
    Had enough of our Remy or Cabaye or Debuchy ….

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Oh i have no doubt Oz will come back stronger on thursday, but many had england to get whitewashed again. I am enjoying the moment.

• 5 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM

As I dont speak the lingo, what is the point if posting that link?

• 6 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM

A big surprise to us too.

• 7 mickalfas // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I can’t see why Austin needs to be persuaded, I can’t see the big clubs rolling the red carpet out for him
    We must be a decent club for him ,didn’t he nearly sign for Hull
    Don’t get me wrong ,I’d be a happy man if him and Mitrovic both signed on
    Then Cisse can go to Qatar or wherever, age is not on his side

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM

He thinks it makes him look clever and cosmopolitan by posting links to different languages, while everyone knows he’s just a sad barsteward with a search engine.

• 9 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Agree with you there. If we signed Mitrovic, I would think it would be quite the reverse with Austin.

• 10 Ron Knee // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:31 PM

And the link is nearly a day old.

• 11 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Ahh well, it takes all sorts, I suppose

• 12 expatmag // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Never got as far as the date……lol

• 13 switch365 // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM

So it looks like that photo of someone outside SJP which some were saying was Mitrovic and others said couldn’t be cause he didn’t have a mohawk, was in fact his brother checking the place out.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM

My take on the CL reference in that interview was that it was a very clever manipulation of the words ‘Champions League” to get people talking and diffuse the potential for ugly scenes after the match. There is no doubt that a message of intent to do somethi g was given but there were no real benchmarks.

• 15 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Don’t worry I’m not going there 🙂

• 16 nut meg // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:40 PM

This is from the mag ( in English of course)

• 17 Ron Knee // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:44 PM

nut meg
    Mitrovic’s brother is seen posing with Williamson’s legendary no. 6 shirt (well, almost)!

• 18 nut meg // Jul 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM

I hope he takes it away with him………….while Willo’s still wearing it !

• 19 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Very excited for the game on Tuesday. Driving 5 or 6 hours to Milwuakee to see my first Toon game ever. Hope the lads don’t dissapoint!

• 20 Slank // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:06 PM

expatmag @ 9

I can see us buying Mitrovic or Austin but not both.

Given that the lad is only 20 years old I can understand his parents, especially his dad who appears to be closely involved with his son’s career, wanting to suss out things on Tyneside. It’s only natural.

• 21 Toonfan8 // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Charnley has to complete this deal for Mitrovic, we will mean bussines then. Two of the hottest prospects in Europe…then we have to sort CB position Abdennour/Rudiger/Veltman/Matip…at least one of them has to come, two and we will be very strong next season…Willo has to go out and if we will have 2 new CB then Collo as well…

• 22 Toonfan8 // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:10 PM

and these CB are as I see them from top target to last one, for me personally…

• 23 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Buying mitrovic will mean we dont get Austin.

Both will want guarantees to be playing every week, with us most likely only starting with 1 up front then no way they will both sign. Austin is the backup option to Mitrovic, think thats why it cooled on Austin when it became clear we actually had a fairly good chance to get Mitrovic here.

1 of these will sign and that will be it for CFs unless Cisse goes, then we get replacement but not someone at Mitrovic’s level.

• 24 nut meg // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Well done to you travelling the 5/6 hours to see the toon. Your must remember that we’re just back to training so we aren’t up to speed yet,also we’ll more than likely use a lot of players to give them much needed game time. Enjoy

• 25 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM

I can well believe McClaren when he says the negotiations with Mitrovic and his family are delicate.
    But in terms of impact this double signing would make as a statement of ambition to the players we have and to others we want to attract, it is well worth the time and effort.
    Softlee softlee catchee monkey.

• 26 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Re Mitrovic – is surely is just a matter of time before they announce his signature -with his agent and family on Tyneside (apparently) to me it looks like he’s going to sign.
    With him and Wijanldum signed up -shows goos intent to the fans and the football world generally. However, their talents will be wasted until the other gaping holes in the team are suitably fixed. So far – note so far – going in the right direction.

• 27 lesh // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM

It’d make sense to persuade Mitro’s parents to move to Newcastle too. I’m sure we could afford to find a house for them and maybe Mitro might like to move in with them and they could make sure he’s looked after – making sure he’s tucked up in bed having had his supper like a good little boy!

• 28 Toonfan8 // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM

if we sign him I would like to see a trio upfront
    i see a lot of potential in them, anybody remember liverpool trio of:
    they played great football with them upfront

• 29 Noel Worst // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Anybody that thinks we’ll sign Mitrovic and Austin, even if we sell Cisse, isn’t doing anything for the deluded Geordie stereotype.

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM

not really fussed on austin, especially if mitrovic comes but rudiger would be massive

• 31 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Nut meg
    I’m not expecting much of a performance since it’s only the second game. But it’s still exciting to see all the players in person. I got second row seats and I’ll be wearing my Sissoko jersey (pre-Wonga) hopefully I can get a chance for him to sign it.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Nowl Worst,
    Only people that sneer at us think we are deluded.
    What a signing that German kid would be, would gladly see Collo terminate his contract to bring two decent CB’S in.

• 33 lesh // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Maybe Mitro’s dad might like to accompany him to the Quayside or the Bigg Market?

That’d be nice as his dad could see just how welcoming some of the Tyneside gals can be!

• 34 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Expat et al
    How very rude
    You asked where the rumours about Veltman came from.
    So I obliged with a link.
    I’m sure whether you speak the lingo or not , you can read Veltman in the same sentence as Newcastle United.
    (That maybe a bit beyond Jail mind )

• 35 lesh // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM

No Wonga on your Sissoko top? What a shrewd buy you made!

I’m sure Sissoko’d sign it if you can get near him and maybe some of the other lads might sign it too.

I’d be a scoop if you could get all 24 players’ signatures and maybe McClaren might oblige too.

Safe journies to Milwaukee and back and we all hope you enjoy the game.

• 36 nut meg // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM

I would imagine the players will be hovering about signing autographs etc so you’ve a good chance of getting him to sign your shirt.Send in a report after you come back down to planet earth there’s a good man.

• 37 lesh // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Eeeeh Jib

I bet everyone wishes they were as clever as you….. And Jeff and Jane and whoever else you add to your menagerie!

• 38 will die for the toon army // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Austin might b scared ti come wen Mitrovic comes. Its all got quite on Aymen front. If its age I go for Rudiger.
    1. Rudiger – 10m
    2. Widjnadum – 14.5m
    3. Mitrovic – 13m
    4. Austin – 12m
    1. Colo – 2m
    2. Mauvuex – 3m
    3. Elliot – 0.5m
    3. Vikic – 3m
    4. Cisse – 8m
    5. Cheik – 6m
    6. Willo – 1m

NET SPENT – 24.5m.

Mike is smart still remains with something in the bank. And will have a better squad.

• 39 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Ashley out!!

Sorry but I’m not fickle like the others, 1 bloody signing and you lot change your tune very quick lol. Years of mismanagement, we need at least 7 other signings which will take us to the next level and remove some of the old guard before we all start rejoicing and giving out the pats on the back.

All it costs to buy hack your loyalty is 1 14m signing!! That’s why he bought us

• 40 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM

No thanks on Austin, found it funny a few threads back NUFC 83 wanted rid of Cisse and bring in Austin because cisse offers nothing to the team other than goals, sorry but goals win you games. Austin failed to keep QPR up, Cisse succeeded in keeping the toon up.

Mitrovic and Cisse then move onto the defence.

• 41 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:42 PM

You will at least get chance to see pretty much all of the players out there. Will be another 2 teams getting 45 minutes each.

• 42 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM

I wonder how the face to face chat went with Colo and Mclaren when he asked him about his performance from last season !?

Colo , Tiote , Sissoko and Gouffran for me have been the most senior players we have and they are the ones who have let us down the most in the last season and a half

Sissoko I think though could change his attitude if we keep making signings possibly Tiote but not sure if there is a way back for Colo or Gouffran

Williamson has poor ability but Colo has ability but zero heart the sight of him dodging that shot against QPR from Fer or shirking the challenges in the box against Leicester was unacceptable from a captain in a relegation battle

• 43 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Let’s try to have 1 season where we don’t sabotage or self destruct, 1 season when we don’t bring the Circus back into town. Remember we’ve been down this road before when signing Ba, Cabaye etc. The following summer we blew it. I’ll always remain cautiously optimistic….more cautious with this lot than optimistic.

• 44 will die for the toon army // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I want to keep Cisse but he doesn’t provide longterm while Austin will provide next 5 years. Cisse is always looking for the next deal. His last pay. Guy is 30 yrs and cracked.

• 45 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 3:54 PM

That’s what I expected since McClaren said no one would play more than 45 until our third game. It’s a shame Wijnaldum won’t be with the squad yet. It would have been nice to see Cabella’s tricks too.
    I’ll be sure to let you all know how the game goes! I think it’s kind of strange to have a soccer game in a baseball park but I’m sure it will be a good time.

• 46 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Do you know if our tour is being beamed out on any American or Canadian networks? Im hoping to watch the games from over here in the UK. I have some American and Canadian sports channels and hoping they are being covered somewhere.

• 47 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Onto Rudiger
    I think he would be an amazing signing for us. He’s the exact type of CB this squad is screaming out for, quick, strong, tall, and quite athletic. I’ve read some reports that he relies too much on his athleticism so his reading of the game isn’t the best. Regardless he’d be great and maybe this Veltmann fella would be a good partner since he seems to read the game very well.

The real question is can we sign him?

• 48 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:01 PM

As we are not playing football manager here, I’m more interested in who we get in rather than playing “let’s balance the books.”
    That’s the club’s job.
    Cisse is our only proven goalscorer. Take him out and Riviere becomes the number two. He is not a proven goalscorer. If anyone should go, it’s him.

Our Toon

I am thinking consistently. I don’t feel conflicted. I haven’t changed my mind.

For years I have been asking Ashley to sign players. I don’t see the point in me hanging off his back like a slavering tart while he’s trying to do it.

If the squad starts the season weaker, then they will have failed. They need to do massively more in key areas.

• 49 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I’m not aware of any channels but i’ll search my tv guide and let you know if i find anything. There’s always a lot of soccer going on in the US this time of year

• 50 funkness // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Honest question:

Why would you, Ed, and anybody else want both Mitrovic AND Austin?
    We are rarely gonna play two up top and none of the above mentioned can play anywhere else than in the CF position.
    For me it is one of the who – never both ..

• 51 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Cheers bud. Im hoping it is being beamed somewhere.

• 52 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM

If Mitrovic signs and Cisse is staying, our next big signing should be a defender.
    The weakness in the set up is that we bought, in Old Manu Riviere, a player who in the opinion of many good judges will never be able to kick a cow’s a**se.

• 53 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM

July 12, 2015

You know I love you really.
    I wouldn’t be without you for the world.

So it’s not just me then!!!

• 54 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:12 PM

You know I love you too…

The blog needs more opinions, not fewer.

Though that Carl seems very keen on only hearing from “decent posters.”

• 55 scout // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Mcclaren sides aren’t one up front. Its normally a three pronged attack. Its not Pardew style mate.
    Its not how Shhteeve rolls…..

• 56 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Will die for toon

Sorry mate I didn’t see where Cisse has said he’d like to move? This theory of last pay day is completely unsubstantiated. Austin did well mainly thanks to Zamora, when Zamora didn’t play Austin went missing. In my opinion we don’t need Austin

• 57 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Agreed consistency is the key, I’m also not going to hang off Ashley’s back but still won’t return to SJP until we have 2 back to back seasons where I think he is actually being genuine and wants to achieve something without sabotaging it

• 58 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM

On Austin and Mitrovic, if Cisse is staying one will do for me. If Cisse is leaving we could do with both.

I don’t want to see Perez’s progress be hampered next season, he deserves to be battling it out for second.

Austin or Mitrovic

That is fine. But this is not..

Great to have them all here if it were to happen but Perez wouldn’t get a sniff then, but as I say if Cisse goes by all means bring both in if possible. If Cisse stays I’d much rather see the money spent elsewhere in the team than buy an extra forward.

Deffo not fine.

• 59 GEORDIE69 // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:17 PM

funkness – If we sign Mitrovic and he gets injured or suspended then having two CF’s is a must. They could play together. Worked well with Shearer and Ferdinand.

• 60 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:23 PM

And while you are here.
    I can smile when Jib calls me an old lady.
    Though his posting in Arabic is a turn-off, I don’t doubt his genuine depth of general knowledge or the quickness of his wits.
    No-one could ever accuse him, or Blackley, or you, of not knowing exactly where I was headed with something.
    Which I find kind of enjoyable, and a blessed change from the usual.

• 61 optimistic prime // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I’d hope we’re going all out for Mitrovich, not to fussed on Austin and would prefer just to keep Cisse.

I don’t know much about the CB we are linked with but IMO its the position we need a quality addition the most.

I’d be well happy to see shot of Colo and I’m available to piggy back him to London should the need arise.

Bit strange to see a couple miss out on the USA trip, thought they may have went just to be around the new set up.

• 62 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM

This is supposed to be Tuesdays game.
    No guarantees

• 63 Munster Mag // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Geordie69 u dont neef two strikers to be effective…but i dont think cisse is in steves plans to be number 1. Mind u it doesntvtake a genius to see that 🙂

• 64 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Anybody know what’s happening with marveux?

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:44 PM

A big change in mood on here, I understand why, but I’m not sure it is totally justified. As Our Toon said, if the season starts or window shuts with the squad still short then one or two big signings means very little. Just last summer there was optimism at this stage having signed Colback, Perez, De Jong, Cabella on his way etc but the squad was still week at the back, and up top.

Even if the squad is well stocked come the Southampton match, it will take another 18months of progress, improvement and no more destabilising the squad in Jan to convince me.

IF we get Mitrovic, and I hope we do, I’d hope a centre half is the net target, followed by a genuine winger and topped up with another centre half and centre forward. Not Austin though, I’d prefer to go for Berahinho if we got Mitrovic.

• 66 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Hopefully he is packing his bags to go back to France. No place for him if we want to move forward.

• 67 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:48 PM

This one also is supposed to be showing the game.

• 68 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM

It would make such a difference if we got a proper centre back who is a beast and can play on the deck ! I feel we need a left back as well though so Haidara can be back up and Dummett can be a centre half which is his best position

If Sissoko stays he has to be playing right wing its his best position hes not a play maker and wont put a tackle in so hes no use in the middle put him one on one with a full back though and he will usually roast them with his pace him and Janmaat on the right could be deadly

We still need a quality left winger as well Aarons is still raw Perez could play left wing forward I suppose

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM

What’s your take on Anita being the cover for Jaanmatt, I would prefer a young specialised RB who understands he is back up but has the potential to keep Jaanmatt out of the team if the situation arose.

• 70 ShirebrookToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Lilongwe I couldn’t agree more. As for LB I would of put a bid in for jetro willems from PSV while we were signing Geordie winjaldum

• 71 overtheline // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM

I always assumed BandB was a reference to 10cc’s “we all got balls and chains but some’s got balls and brains”.
    I know you like abtruse references – your posts are littered with them and I’ve always wondered if the pithy and supposedly dismissive one liner was to make you seem just a little more clever than the average blogger.
    This, however,
    “Don’t be caught on slicks when you should be on intermediates.
    Or the other way round.
    Keeps you out of the gravel. ”
    is nonsensically meaningless even by your standards.
    For one thing, as a confirmed tree hugger, I loathe motor sport as a total waste of petrol.

• 72 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Lilongwe is saying exactly what I have been saying all day and for six weeks.
    Why do you agree completely with him?

• 73 manni // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:06 PM

• 74 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Fully agree on that. Anita could do a job there, but why would you want him to? Anita could become an important part of our midfield if we are to retain possession more, so if he did, where is the sense in disrupting the rest of the team because you didn’t get specialist cover.

Having said that, I think a couple of central defenders and the attack are priority though, so would like that sorted first. It is definitely a position that need some attention though.

• 75 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Federer getting a tennis lesson now

• 76 funkness // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM

@BandB: Though I agree on you regarding Riviere not being anywhere close what we would have hoped, I think flogging him off now would just mean taking a rather serious financial hit on that deal. I say keep him as a 4th choice, and say a few hail mary’s to hopefully getting him to develop under the new coaching setup. If not – sell him next summer.

As both you and Toon-Prodigy mention, if Cisse stays, one of Mitrovic and Austin will do, as we also have Perez to play up front, and I would hate to see him warming the bench for a whole season.

@Geordie69: Shearer & Ferdinand worked a treat! But that was more than 15 years ago and we were playing a classic 4-4-2 at the time. That isn’t the case anymore, and if we brought in both, that would – even if one got injured – presumably leave Perez on the bench for the entire season.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I’d much prefer Mitrovic and a winger / wide forward.

• 77 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Marseille have turned down an approach from Newcastle for winger Florian Thauvin, claim La Provence.

This from Sky Sports just now !

I would like to see a proper left winger with pace I think for the money we could get someone better than Thauvin?

What about using Cathros Spanish contacts to try get a winger from Spain instead?

• 78 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Shirebrook – I like Marveaux as a talented ball player, but and its a big but, reckon he just cannot be parsed to knuckle down and be the player he should be with maximum sweat and graft.

The new coaching staff have probably already sussed him for being hAlf hearted, shame as hes gifted with the ball, but he’s on his way, mark my words, taking it easy in France is his bag…

• 79 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM

I think if Newcastle were to sign Mitrovic AND Austin, wide players & CB & LB not only would that help sell season tickets, there would be a waiting list.

• 80 JamesToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM

We should be going for shaqiri

• 81 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:15 PM

I would still like 2 centre forwards in. However not Mitorvic and Austin. Berahinho would be comfortable slotting into the 433 that McClaren seems to favour, he has played as an attacking winger in the Prem before, and has lead the line as a lone forward. The options a centre forward like Berahinho gives are far better than bringing both Mitrovic and Austin.

I think Perez won’t play as a centre forward regularly next season. He rarely did at Tenrife, often playing as a support striker, attacking mid or out wide. He would offer similar options to Berahinho and would allow rotation of the two.

I’d also prefer Rivi to be nowhere near the team, so having Cisse, Perez, Mitrovic and Berahinho would be a very good attacking quartet for me.

• 82 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Would still want a winger in as well mind.

• 83 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party
    I’m guessing that wasn’t a straight bid.
    Cabella plus cash I think.
    The Marseilles player I want is Nicolas N’Koulou

• 84 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Yep I would take him at the Toon as well !!

Mclaren seems to like 3 up top with the bigger guy in the middle so he could play on the left and cut inside to score

• 85 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Munster hi how are you doing today? Good? Good.

No I’m not moaning. Or whining, or complaining. I’m cautiously optimistic : That the over indulgent braggart who happens to own our club has been forced yes forced to u-turn on his arrogant stand-off with his customers, at long last. How far he goes until he thinks he has reached full enough appeasement level to see his stock lift to it’s rightful heights once more remains to be seen, I assume nothing – certainly not a raft of world class footballers in their prime. And certainly not a mass clearout of the tread water hoofers on low incomes rates that keep this club neck deep in championship quicksand.

And this myth that there are ‘real fans’ in one camp and ‘moaners ‘ in another needs clarification. The real “camps” are the Realists and the Ostriches. The Realists have actively pressed for change after years and years of patience waiting for their lies to be manifest completely. If they turn into ostriches now, the momentum will be lost. The ‘ostriches’ meanwhile eschew such proactivity, preferring to shout down those who object to bad service. No, they prefer to buy mouldy bread day after day from the same baker, because one day they’re bound get a fresh loaf.

• 86 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Oh I forgot….

Ashley Out!

• 87 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:19 PM

• 88 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Novak isn’t schooling the greatest tennis player to have graced the game, Think you’ll find Federer at 33 is showing his age!!

• 89 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM

The video of Wijnaldum posted the other day shows three players with quick feet and minds unpicking defences with rapid interchanges of passing at pace.
    I think that’s the way to go.
    Perez fits into that for me. I don’t see pumping it into the box as a big option.

• 90 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM

If Sky are our media partners it would make sense to continually release statements regards our failed approaches etc…

I think this is a pre-cursor for Mitrovic move to collapse, call me a cynic but Thauvin ain’t coming for me, smoke and mirrors. Not to mention pointless…

• 91 Looney_toon_89 // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM

@lingongwe geordie Berahino would be better for Mitrovic as he can cope with coming in from a wide position better than Austin, however he is being priced about 5 million more I think even if Newcastle do have 60 million to spend that would put him out of our price range. That would be 35 ish spend on two players with Newcastle reportedly after 5 or 6.
    Decent CBs are hard to come by and we are looking at 10 mill for anybody decent, equally for wide player/s.
    Then there is LB, which I am surprised Newcastle havn’t been targeting a LB with Haidara only LB (Dummet much better in the middle).

• 92 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:22 PM

James Toon

I said we should be looking at Shakiri yesterday as well bud….10m is a snip the only stumbling point might be wages

• 93 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Our Toon
    Tienes razon
    As soon as I typed it I realised I was being churlish.

• 94 will die for the toon army // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:26 PM

We really have a young team. That is impressive.
    Average age is 24.5 yrs. With even the old players of Colo, Willo, Elliot and Cisse.

• 95 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Check toastie

Don’t buy into the preferred media bollocks mate, that’s just a PR tool for the regime to use to peddle more BS stories. I’d believe sky over a preferred media partner….After all wasn’t it the club that tried to use sky as a preferred when they told them we’d be signing 4 players in January, an exclusive….We ended up with Cabaye leaving and LDJ coming in

Personally sky get it right more often than wrong

• 96 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:28 PM

I think, from what I’ve seen today, the argument goes….”why can’t we just all agree….with me?”
    “I and if I agree with you, but don’t like you, I’ll agree with somebody who says the same things as you, but isn’t you.”

• 97 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Does somebody control the ball boys with remote controls?

• 98 will die for the toon army // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM

What does Carr and Mcclaren see in Thauvin we have Cabella except if Sissoko is going

• 99 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Our toon – sky have been named as a preferred media partner, take anything on there from now on as a PR exercise, are you confused or is it me…..

• 100 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Looney Toon,
    I don’t know how much the club have to spend, but Berahinho is one of the names that has been linked with us on and off so far this summer, so I wouldn’t rule him out just yet. I’m still expecting at least 1 high profile departure, so financially I don’t feel a need to worry.

We need full backs on both sides. Haidara struggles to manage more than 5 games in a row and Dummet isn’t a good left back. Janmaat has no back up at all. Both need attention, but I think those deals will only happen if the key deals get done.

Personally I would have gone for Mings and Trippier to add competition on both sides, think Mings cost £8million so it would have been £11.5 million for 2 young talented and English defenders with great future potential.

• 101 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:33 PM

It’s not even from sky sports it’s from a dodgy French site or paper, probably just repeating yesterday’s daily mail article

• 102 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:33 PM

It didn’t come from sky directly is more the point I’m making, it’s come from France buddy

• 103 JDdubai // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Mitrovic and Austin are bith out and out CFs.

McClaren only plays with 1′ either 433 or 4231 whatever you want to call it. The wider players are players with pace/wingers or smaller forwards with skills.

Mitrovic and austin will both want assurances they will be first choice, only 1 will get it.

Im sure Mitrovic was always first choice but unlikely so the early move on Austin went in. Then it became apparent that we actually had a pretty good shot at Mitrovic so that is why the Austin stuff stopped a week ago.

If we dont get Mitrovic then expect Austin to resurface but cant see us spending on 2 CFs while Cisse is here.

Thauvin lets wait and see, dont think we have finished with that one.

• 104 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Swapping the two is pointless. I’d rather just keep Cabella and sign Matt Philips from Qpr.

• 105 terencelim // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Ashley OUT.

• 106 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Alot of media outlets are reporting thauvin swap deal with Cabella….not seen thauvin play but I wouldn’t mind seeing Cabella leave

• 107 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:38 PM

He isn’t any better from what I’ve seen our toon.

• 108 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Can he improve though, I believe the lad is younger than Cabella who isn’t exactly old at 25 but Cabella best position seems to be in no 10 role is thauvin more a winger or wide player? If yes then it makes perfect sense to have a straight swap

• 109 hibbit // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:42 PM

if this kid signs thats 2 very good signings but till the back four are sorted its not enough we need 2 cb and 1 lb a good winger would be a bonus

• 110 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Thank God we got another MF in and not a completely unnecessary CB or striker!!! No but seriously, I’m happy we’ve got the Wij in. Very tidy player by the look of him. Now 2 good CB’s, 2 strikers, and 2 wingers. That would make is a decent side as long as we didn’t get any injuries (and we never do, do we?)! Huzzah!!!!

• 111 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Good afternoon,

Ibiza internet permitting – what’s happening? 🙂

• 112 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Our Toon is a very, very fine side
    With two tw@ts in the the club, life used to be so hard,
    Now everything is easy cause of Wij
    Crosby, Stills and Nash are great supporters of the Toon!!!!

• 113 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM

They can both play wide or number 10 I think. He’s played wide anytime I’ve seen him. He definitely wasn’t pulling up any trees last season. Infact towards the end of the season he was on the bench a lot when they where on tv.

• 114 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Everything is happening Ibiza mate!!! Absolutely everything!!! We’ve got Wij, we’re getting the Mit, Charlie is agog, and we’re all stunned!! Well, I’m stunned. But still…put your thong of delight on mate. We’ve turned a corner and we’re about to be hit by the No. 7 bus!!!!

• 115 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:51 PM

He’s 22 so yeah a few years younger

• 116 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Fong the unbelievers!!!! We are a great club once again!!! Huzzah Ibizza mate!!!

• 117 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Who needs good CB’s anyway? We’ve done the business for years with just a couple of cabbages! The position is overrated I say. And Ibizza will support me in this. Buy some strikers and attack!!! Attack, attack, attack!!!!

• 118 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Thank the heavens we never lead the league in injuries and have no sick notes in the squad. Now that we have the Wij we can settle down and wait for Mit and possibly Chuck.

• 119 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Being excited about wor club is exhausting.

• 120 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:57 PM

G2…That does appear to be how things are going down.

Surely cautious hope is the stage we’re at?

Some promising signs, that were desperately needed. As everyone keeps saying, time is needed, so surely most people don’t expect people to be getting carried away?

It’s certainly not “I told you so” time for anyone. Not that there ever should be a time. All any of us have wanted is the same thing. “A team that tries”…and club.

• 121 Jib // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Geordie 2
    Cut Colo some slack
    Love the one you’re with

• 122 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:58 PM

If you are willing could you please update me on where we are on any further signings . Thanks in anticipation.

• 123 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Support the cabbages!!! We still need them. And Saylor. He’s important as well. Very good at building up the players’ spirits in the injury room. Very upbeat. Thrusts his chest oot and staggers about the place on his crutches…Beautiful.

• 124 JamesToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Mitrovic expected to travel to Tyneside within next 24 hours

• 125 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM

I do love Colo Jib mate. He’s very important to wor club as a hairstyle leader and advisor. Actually, I think he would be a fine defensive coach some day with us. Has great skill with his feet and can play a lovely out ball or two.

• 126 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:01 PM

I wonder what the plans are for Marv?

Im bracing myself for about 3-4 players leaving me like..

Tiote or Abeid. Anita looks to be staying to me.

Obertan, Willo and Gouff should be away.

• 127 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:01 PM

G2…I’m all for attack, attack, attack…However, I still would be happy with an upgrade or two on Willo, or Colo, or Taylor, or…and so on and so on.

• 128 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:02 PM

49 mil for Sterling! Unreal that like.

• 129 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Have you lot seen Saylor injuring himself while injured? Very entertaining. Keeps the other injured players in stitches. Has very few functioning body parts left however. I worry about the lad…..

• 130 BandB // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I have heeded the blandishments to wait patiently for signings this window.
    Now I’m waiting patiently for more.
    Patience is so yesterday, it appears. It’s party time now. Or else!

• 131 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:05 PM

I say keep Colo on as a defensive coach, sell Willo or at least pawn him, find a nice convalescent home for Saylor and bring in some brooding, brutes at CB!!!!

• 132 Our Toon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Sterling fee agreed 49m for 1 good season, Carroll cost 35m for a very good 5 months in prem with us. Harry Kane valued at 40m for being very good for 4 months but has been dire for the other 4 months. Something needs to be done about the price of overrated British lads

• 133 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM

BandB…I must say, you even surprised me with your calls for patience. However, you are / were of course right, these things will take some time…either way.

Promising signs so far. Not quite the party spirit though.

Anyone for a shot?

• 134 funkness // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:08 PM

@Lilongwe Geordie: We are in agreement. Mitrovic and Austin are way to similar. One of the two and a more mobile player would make sense though. I would prefer the mobile player to be a specialist wide forward though. I’ve been banging the drum all day about N’Tep. Not only do I see him as an ideal player for the wide left role – he would probably also cost half of Berahino ..

@BandB: I agree with your assessment of Perez’s role.

• 135 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Well Ian we’ve bagged the Dutch bloke, and we’re now chatting up the Serbian bloke, but the Serbian bloke doesn’t seem too keen to join the dutch bloke.

That’s where we’re at.

• 136 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM

If you didn’t come to party, don’t bother knockin’ on my door, owwwwww!!!
    Mike’s got a badger in his pocket and baby he’s ready to bite, yeah hey
    Everybody’s got a cabbage, we could just let them play, oh
    But before I let that happen, I’ll fong myself right in the face, oh ho
    Beautiful, Party like its 1999.
    Let’s party people!!!!

• 137 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Belfast@135…Backs up why you don’t have many Twitter followers.

• 138 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:12 PM

We’ve got the Wij baby!!!!

• 139 Belfast // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM

I’m not on twitter left about a year ago. My soul is clean and my brain is fully operational again.

That’s where I’m at

• 140 Ibizatoon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Belfast…Fully operational, by what standards?

Congratulations on kicking the habbit though. They say “once a twit…”

• 141 AmeriToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Think it would make no sense to swap Thauvin for Cabella. Thauvin seems to have a bad attitude. Plus he’ll have the same problem that Cabella had adapting to the prem in his first season. With some decent coaching and this being his second season we may actually seem some of end product from cabella this season. He should play better with De Jong fit, Wijnaldum, and Mitrovic to hold up the ball

previous post: Aleksandar Mitrovic Very Close To Newcastle Move