The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Could Keep This Player At Newcastle

8:00 am, Sunday, July 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

In the first friendly of pre-season against Gateshead at the International Stadium on Friday night Papiss Cisse looked sharp in that first half,  and he scored the penalty after six minutes that eventually won the game for Newcastle, although 1-0 was not reflective of Newcastle’s complete dominance, but again we found it hard to put the ball in the net after creating mutliple chances.

papiss cisse scopres gateshead penalthy

Papiss Cisse scores on Friday night

If Newcastle can get two strikers in this summer, it’s expected that Papiss could be on his way out of the club after three and a half years on Tyneside, but from what Steve McClaren has said about the 32 times capped Senegal striker (16 goals), it doesn’t look like that will happen.

This is what Steve said yesterday about Cisse:

“He got 11 goals in 22 games last year, 11 goals in 11 starts and 11 substitute appearances.”

“So I think we’ve all got to thank Papiss and his goals for Newcastle still being in the Premier League. Papiss is infectious around the place, smiling every day.”

“He’s here – and that’s it at the moment.”

Papiss was our top scorer last season in a season when he was interrupted by injury and suspension – he missed ten games because of suspensions he picked up against Everton and Manchester United.

He was hampered by that knee, after he had broken his knee-cap a year last April against Swansea.

But now he seems fully fit aftre having the pins removed, so why would we let this man go when  he could be in for a really good season at Newcastle?

We hope McClaren keeps him on board, even if we do get two good strikers in this summer.

Papiss turned 30 last month and he has 41 goals in 109 appearances so far for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Tags: Friendlies · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 cestriasteve // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:04 AM

One of my staff was telling me they had lunch on Thursday and that young kid from Ajax who they had on trial was talking to them and said he was likely to sign. Don’t know anything about Danni Koks myself but she said he was a smashing kid.

• 3 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Do we trust the Mirror?

Also, anyone on here watched the game at Gateshead;what did you make of the game? No highlights so I am not sure how good or bad we were.

• 4 bobby mango // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Well he better keep him until we have someone to replace him

• 5 funkness // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:09 AM

I’m surprised so many of you want us to sign 2 strikers, as we are probably only gonna play one at a time. If we get say Mitrovic, we would have Cisse, Perez and Riviere behind him in the packing order. Signing both Mitrovic and Austin doesn’t make much sense to me, as we are very unlikely to be seeing much of the classic 4-4-2 this coming season ..

Thauvin wouldn’t be my weapon of choice. I’m rather surprised that no one seems to mention George Paul N’Tep. I haven’t seen a single article linking him to any club this summer, which is odd given that he had a wonderful season at Rennes and even made his debut for France. He has all the tools to make it in the Prem – he is lightning quick, can beat a man, is equally good with both feet, can cross & shoot. He would be ideal for that wide left spot and I’d much rather we spent on a player of his ilk than buying another striker just for competition ..

• 6 Tsunki // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Well Steve said he doesn’t have the problem of clearing out 30 year olds….

Being realistic rather than pessimistic I note a couple of posters resurfaced to crow about their ‘predictions’ we would be sacking carver, buying players over £10m value etc. Need to give it a rest with the croving, we haven’t kicked a ball in anger yet. it’s nice we’ve bought ONE decent players. But in the meantime SM has just said the current squad ( which by rights should now be preparing for the championship) is better than he thought. He takes them to the neighbouring whipping boy for shooting practice and we score a penalty. I like the sound of the new crew, but so far it’s talk and that’s all. An element of let’s wait and see should be applied to this. it’s still Mike Ashleys club. Mike Ashleys rules. And if his goon Charnley can cock it up I’m sure he’ll do his best to. Just be very afraid we will go through pre season with a fit and raring to go Obertan, Williamson, Gouffran…

• 7 Lost Plot // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:19 AM

I’d be surprised if we see anymore transfers until after USA trip

SM and team have to access what we have in front of us (FACT)

And .. If we have a solid team after McClaren & Co have coached the lads back into proffesional footballers

We’ll see?

• 8 jayphoto // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:19 AM

@Tsunki don’t worry, those posters will disappear when mike balances the books by selling a few!
    Really happy with Wijnaldum but surely thats the last position we needed? We need defenders!!

• 9 Bambams // Jul 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Morning Fellas
    Well I have a lovely hopeful feeling about the next few days.
    Hopefully we can get the striker we need followed by two CB’S. …..
    I cannot help wondering (Ash fault) once we sign our targets will we then sell anyone to recoup outlay
    Cisse Socks Krul Perez Tiote Janmaat would all bring in decent money

Anyway I will enjoy this morning reading and watching any I can find on our new signing ‘worgordi’

Enjoy your day all