The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mystery Solved – Tiote Could Still Have Newcastle Future

8:27 pm, Monday, July 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 222 Comments

With Cheick Tiote not on the plane yesterday to the US and certainly not injured, most fans put two and two together and got four – or was it five?

It was thought that was a good indication that he would be leaving the club in the summer.

And Cheick himself had played only 12 games for us all last season and missed nearly all the second half of the season, when he was injured at the African Cup of Nations playing for Ivory Coast.

cheick tiote cramp hull

Cheick Tiote – couldn’t get visa – down but not out

But there’s news coming in from Steve McClaren in the Shields Gazette, that Tiote was not allowed into the US, because he couldn’t get a valid visa to gain entry.

McClaren referred to that as ¨visa complications.¨

It’s though that was because Tiote was given 180 hours of community service and a seven-month sentence – suspended for two years – back in October 2013,  after admitting possession of a fake driving licence.

So that’s why he is not in the party – and it does say that he could still have a future at Newcastle.

Although Cheick has seemingly been keen to leave the club, with McClaren coming in and Newcastle becoming (much) more ambitious these days, he may want to stay on Tyneside at least for next season.

Cheick still has two years left on his lucrative Newcastle contract.

The 29 year-old should be playing in the remaining pre-season fixtures, once the Newcastle squad return a week on Wednesday from their three match American tour.

Fri 10th July (8:00 pm) Gateshead
International StadiumW 1-0
Tue 14th July (8:00 pm CT - 2:00 am Wed Newcastle time)Club Atlas
Miller Park, MilwaukeeL 2-1
Sat 18th July (8:00 pm PT - 4:00 am Sun Newcastle time)Sacramento RepublicBonney Field, SacramentoW 1-0
Tue 21st July (7.30 pm PT - 3:30 am Wed Newcastle time)Portland Timbers
Borussia Mönchengladbach
St. James' ParkL 1-0

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Newcastle News · Tour · Visa

222 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Soccer Sauce ?@soccer_sauce · 58m58 minutes ago
    As we reported last night, pace is gathering on the Mitrovic to #NUFC transfer. Reports coming in that all terms have been agreed on.

Gotta love the sauce !!

• 2 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM

McClaren confirms Marveaux will miss the start of the PL season “He is in for a hernia Op. It’s four to six weeks I think” #NUFC

• 3 Colombus // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Hopeful on Mitro! btw .Let’s steal this guy from under the noses of Swansea!

Available on a free and well worth the gamble! Would be great for us I think!

• 4 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Evening jazzy

Hope that sauce is true lol

• 5 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Evening buddy !

Would be a cracking deal if we can land this lad this week, And finally put this one to bed.
    Move on to the next target who ever that may be and lets start bringing em in.
    The transfer markets starting to move now mate…Who would be your choice ??

• 6 switch365 // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Still amazes me, with all the great attacking talent we’ve signed over the years, how we’ve never really managed to sign a pair of top quality centre backs.
    Concede 50-60 and you need a pair of players hitting close to 30 to stand any chance of competing with the big boys.
    Reduce that total by 15-20 and life becomes far less of a grind and allows the players to express themselves.

Starting the new season with Wijnaldum and Mitrovic would be great.
    But starting the new season without Willo, Tayls and Colo would be even better imo.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:58 PM

A lot of you have been asking “G2 shouldn’t we be fonging the training staff on a regular basis as well as the coaches, MD, etc. etc.?” Hmmmm. Good point everyone. I’ll give in to popular demand on this. Regular fongings for all training staff from now on!! I feel once a week until we beat someone really decent is fair….

• 8 banjax // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Tiote could still leave Newcastle depending on who is recruited. One thing is for sure relying on the new coaching team to make mediocre players into better ones doesn’t work. With other so called ‘smaller clubs’ improving their quality like Stoke, West Ham, Southampton -we are going to have to let at least 5 more Ex first team players go if we have any hope finishing Top Half never mind Top Six !

• 9 switch365 // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Woman crashes her Mini into the back of a van… while using a sex toy.

Now that’s a headline 🙂

• 10 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Jib/ Jeff

in answer to your misleading post on previous page

Jib , I don’t need a hate figure as you suggest ..I don’t hate anybody..strange thing for you to imagine then put into print ?

I like Williamson as a bloke but feel he is a weak link in the Team ..that’s all, Hate ? Nahhh.. it’s wrong of you to Imagine my feelings towards a Footballer almost like I’v said it in my post that I hate .

.I clearly did not say that , but hey thanks for the Perceived
    wrong impression that you put into words ..

Not my word’s by the way , and a sneaky way of putting it, mentioning my name in the second line of your post.

• 11 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Yes mate this lad needs to be signed up ASAP.
    Like others have mentioned on here I think shaqiri would be worth a cheeky bid but I think defence is where we need to strengthen but who do you go for?

• 12 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:04 PM

I sniff a Welshman by the name of switch365 formerly know as welshie.

• 13 the ledge // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:05 PM

alrigth folks still not signed mitrovic

• 14 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:05 PM

or even formerly known as welshie…..Harrumph.

• 15 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:08 PM

I can definitely see Mr T being sold as Colback is currently being made captain of the Us tour.
    On his day Tiote was a class act but has nothing of note for a good few seasons now

• 16 Macas // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Jib – Agree with you about the hate figure, certain players seem to get slagged off online by large numbers of posters regardless of how well they have played. Nicky Butt was a regular target on here before Williamson. I’ve watched games where Williamson has played well and hoofed the ball up the pitch maybe once or twice during the whole game, but still the same lines got trotted out about constant aimless long balls. I think it becomes trendy to abuse certain players on certain things.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM

I think we should treat Tiote’s past misdeeds as a cold case file. Where is the Camaro now?? Who owns it?? Do they have a real driver’s license?? What are Cheick’s current wheels?? Is he allowed to drive said wheels? I’ll get right on this lads. Your Senior Official Club Journo will not fail you!!!!

• 18 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Every time I have watched Monaco..Abdennour has really impressed. Would command a substantial fee and probably out of our league. But I thought that of Wijnadum so there is always hope.

Seen that on newsnow……Hahahaha

• 19 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Tiote drives an Austin princess

• 20 hibbit // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:18 PM

shirebrook…….tiote is not driving any thing at the moment

• 21 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Which mediocre players did you have in mind banjax mate? I could see players like Cabella, Gouffy, Perez, Aarons, and Haidara improving under Schteve. Possibly even Rivi. But not players like Willo, Saylor, Colo, Krul, or Obie.

• 22 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:20 PM

What’s that about an Austrian princess Shire mate? Should he be driving royalty around? It’s risky I feel… Haruumph.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM

At most I would let Cheick drive a Romainian Viscount or a Polish Earl around. Possibly together…..If he can get the Camaro back to impress them…..

• 24 magscar // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:22 PM

You’re right that there are “hate” figures and they date long before blogs and social media and all clubs have them. Back in my youth there were Frank Clark and Tommy Gibb.

In Williamson’s case I am one of his critics but do acknowledge that he has at times had some satisfactory games.

However honest player though he is ( never believed he got himself sent off deliberately just his reaction to Carver’s half time berating) he is limited and out of all the CB pairings we have had when he plays the whole defence never looks comfortable on the ball as he never wants to receive it although he does make challenges.

Can’t see him fitting into the possession side that McClaren apparently wants unless the coaches are actually miracle workers. If not on his way surely he won’t be one of the 1st choice CB’s.

• 25 Average_Contents // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Shteve confirms tiote didn’t travel as he was refused entry into America. For those debating it earlier 🙂

Cabaye was unable to enter last time we went because of a disputed dental bill apparently. Just read it somewhere.

• 26 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM

It was a joke mate

• 27 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM

Sorry if you thought putting your name on the 2nd line was sneaky.
    However I still stick by my use of the phrase “hate figure”

“Wondering if Williamson will smooth talk McClaren on the US trip ..He’s doing something to get a game, maybe hypnotism ? cause it ain’t Football.”

The above remark is hardly loving

• 28 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Abdennour is a good shout jazzy I also like the sound of Veltman too

• 29 King Colback // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM

It isn’t hating anyone by basically saying Mike Williamson is past is best and is crap, he needs to go to pastures new.

• 30 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Do you get up to many games mate ?
    We used to go direct from midland mainline…..Chesterfield to Newcastle train station. Then they doubled there fee’s so we drive up now. Much cheaper

• 31 Macas // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:32 PM

magscar – Agree with you about Williamson, thought he was a good backup player but if we are indeed going to try and push up the table and adopt a different style we need to replace with a younger higher quality player. For me he was as decent as the rest defensively but it was the other areas that let him down. I think they did work on his distribution and he did improve in that area, but never looked totally comfortable on the ball.

• 32 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Would love Abdnennour and Ruddiger.
    Can see us ending up with N’Koulou and Veltman. Still miles better than what we have

• 33 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Only went to a couple last season and the last one was against the unwashed when Johnson scored in the last minute. Planning on going to a couple next season as I mate I work with is from Newcastle and we usually drive up too but we’re going to see how the first couple of games pan out first ????

• 34 Average_Contents // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Forgot to add. I think that’s ridiculous not allowing someone in because of a disputed dental bill lol.

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Williamson was bought for a million pounds in the Championship where he done a fantastic job in helping us get promoted. He lso played a major part in the season we finished fifth, had he or Collocini been injured or suspended after January we would not have been anywhere near fifth. he plays his best football after a spell of being kept out of the team, it is not his fault a suitable replacement has not been bought over the last four years other than MYM who he seemed to partner quite well, maybe something to do with that purple sh1te that seen that partnership broken up. If given the choice I would have Willo as fourth choice with STaylor moved to a team that only plays 15 to 20 games a season. A realistic hope this season would be a Collo and that German kid as first choice with Dummet and Willo fourth choice, Good sent to a Championship side and Lascelles to W Brom or Bournemouth, with STaylor being removed from the set up.

• 36 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Yeah I thought that was a bit of a kick in the teeth too lol

• 37 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM

I think for a lot of fans, A lot will determine on who comes through the door as in signings.
    I sit row ll Platinum right above the entrance tunnel into the seating area.

• 38 optimistic prime // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM

You should check the train prices to Sunderland, it’s a quick hop on the metro to the town.

When I’ve been to London on train in the past it’s 30-40% cheaper to go from Sunderland than it is from Newcastle.

• 39 switch365 // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM

only ever been switch365, born in the Toon so definitely not welsh.

would love that pair too mate,
    quite possibly the best 2 signings we could realistically make and could well set us up as having a defence, (or at least 3/4 of a defence) to build upon for the next 6 years +
    add van Aanholt or Kolarov and we’d have every chance of fulfilling jabba’s statement

• 40 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:41 PM

Would anyone else like to see the results of one of Ed’s polls, this time the poll being who thinks Mitrovic will actually sign for us and who thinks him and his lot are just p**$ing Our bloody club around before signing for someone else?

• 41 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM

You young’uns should invest in an old tranny van,
    great way to tour the country.
    You ain’t lived until you’ve had Leeds supporters trying to pull you out the back of a moving tranny on Elland Road

• 42 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Cheers for that. Been travelling up for the last 20 yr and never looked at that. Unwashed territory……”scary thought”

• 43 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Phew! I’m relieved switch365 mate. Although I do believe the welshie still walks these halls. A tortured soul with a horrible sense of humour. Don’t say his name 3 times out loud…..

• 44 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:46 PM

If we were to land that pairing that would show serious intent by the board. never gonna happen but we can all dream pal!

• 45 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Is there really a John Carver Inn and Spa? With pictures of Johnny C. on the walls? Where is it?? Is it really horrible? Does he have special guests like Joe Kinnear come??? I have this horrible fascination with Johnny C. He still haunts my dreams….15% winning percentage, that horrible smile…..Ahhhhhhh!!!!

• 46 ShirebrookToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Yeah mate it’s going to take a lot more than signing Geordie wini to make me part with my hard earned cash and my mate said the same too lol

• 47 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:47 PM

CANDY MAN………CANDY MAN……????????????

• 48 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Americans don’t like sketchy teeth YCMIU mate. They ask you if you’re using whitener at Customs. If the answer is No you’re immediately sent for water boarding. It’s a serious country, for serious teeth only…..

• 49 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:51 PM

I hope that clears the whole dental thing up…..Harrumph.

• 50 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:51 PM

• 51 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Stop that lee-toon!!! Stop it!!!! He’ll come back. I swear he will…..

• 52 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:52 PM

• 53 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM

I can’t believe adverts for the John Carver Inn and Spa….It’s just not right….

• 54 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:54 PM

• 55 optimistic prime // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:54 PM

I only found out a few year back, it’s because we’re on a main line and Sunderland is classed as a deprived area.

Saved a few quid though, £30-£50 a journey.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Getting beauty treatments from a man who looks like Johnny C.???? Horrible…..just horrible.

• 57 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Can you imagine Brad Pitt going into the John Carver Inn and Spa, then coming oot 3 days later looking like Johnny C.??? Ahhhhhhhh!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!

• 58 beermonkey // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:57 PM

a massage would be worse

• 59 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:58 PM

What would Angelina say??? What would she do??? She could turn to me for comfort I suppose……

• 60 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Aye Jib, but its not hating , its a technical opinion on a player ..that’s all ..and you turned that round to hate figure and mentioned my name within that sentence started a strawman effect with a few multiple posters on here and ..Macacas is agreeing with himself …

I don’t mind Jeff you know when your in the wrong but your having fun and I like that wishes .

• 61 Graeme // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Jib @ 41 – nice one mate, I remember doing just that in the 70’s. Hiring a transit, loading up with beer and bodies and off down the A1 to Wetherby Roundabout, Harefields and out to Eland Road.

Happy memories lol

• 62 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Ahhhhh!!!! Beermonkey, that’s horrible!!! I’ve just broken oot into a cold sweat mate!!!! That face looking down at me!!! Telling me how badly he was treated by the club. Crying and whinging……Noooooo!!!!!

• 63 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Jib ,

when the Leeds supporters tried to pull you out the back of the moving transit was there a baseball bat involved ?

• 64 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Jazzy…do you travel to the away games as well?

• 65 beermonkey // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM

could be worse he might ask if you would like something from the specials menu

• 66 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Haha John Carver inn and spa. “Heeeres Johnnie!”

• 67 welshgeordie9 // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM

You are so funny

• 68 optimistic prime // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Or a happy ending

• 69 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:08 PM

The lads in Milwaukee for the big game it is then. Atlas…..don’t know anything about them. Play out of Guadalajara, have the third biggest ground in Mexico, haven’t won anything at al, but have come close a couple of times. Probably a decent side. Hope they don’t give us a good fonging….

• 70 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM

John Carver inn and spa could be more like Bates motel. Him staring through peep holes at proper game plans and formations of visiting coaches and an old mannequin with a pardew mask taped to it in the basement.

• 71 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Ewwwww!!! Ewwww!!! There’s a specials menu at the Johnny C. Inn and Spa??? That’s even worse then!!! The whole concept is narsty…..Can anyone on here who has gone describe it for us??? Is there wine and cheese while you get your special???

• 72 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Mitrovic is starting to p*** me off big time, I understand that football is his job and that he is holding out for the best move. But realistically, this kid is 20, three years older than me and he wants champions league? Tooting his own horn there, if he is as good as he thinks he is he will soon end up in the champions league, 3 transfer windows with us and he’ll be in the champions league with us 😀

• 73 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Oh no !
    Don’t tell me , your an ex Leeds fan with a broken nose !!!

• 74 GeordieTwo // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Steady on welshie, that’s extremely hurtful, that is. You see what you did lee-toon? You’ve brought him back. I’m putting this all on you mate….Harrumph.

• 75 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM

You should have carried on down the main drag.. looks like you took the A58 to Harehills/Leed’s from Wetherby ..if you had of kept on going the grounds just on your left..ten straight miles there’s a thought from the past ..

I loved the days out at elland road but we would drive through Harehills just to see the Rastaferian’s man Smoking weed on the Corner..had some laugh’s I lived in Leeds for a while in the 70’s. used to talk to Gordon Mc queen, Clarkie, and the rest that great Leeds team of the 70’s all piled into Cinderella rockafellass.. Peter Stringfellow was usually kicking about ..

3 Geordie mates and Don Revie’s Leeds team drinking the place dry ..Graham you have brought back some memories mate ..

Did I ever tell you lot I’v Ran out of the Tunnel at Elland Road?

• 76 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:17 PM

I was looking for you last night
    What’s Rudy Gestede from Blackburn like ?

• 77 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM

S#*t my bad geordie2 ???? I better look for the old “book of the recently deceased” get a chalk door up and get that ugly old smoke riddled caseworker to sort I’m not ????

• 78 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Jib ,

I recall a TV interview and a Geordie football show, Jack Charlton gave his opinion after a Leeds Newcastle match on the fact that Newcastle fan s in the back of a transit van leaving Elland road had every right to use a baseball bat if they were under attack , Charlton, (Wor Jack) got slated for that one ..remember it ?

• 79 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Why were you looking for me jib? lol

I don’t watch other teams but in the cup he played well against the premier league teams. From what I have seen he has great physicality, however if he signed for us I believe he would be as useful as Rivière. You never know though!

• 80 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM

*sort im oot

• 81 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM

I seem to remember it was an FA cup replay against Bolton at Elland Road and the locals just turned up looking for bother.

• 82 JamesToon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM

In an interview when he was at partisan, Mitrovic said he supported Newcastle so i think it’s his dad who’s delaying this deal

• 83 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM

YoungMagpieFromBurnley —- Just to ask your opinion and to tell you to check out the Lancashire Telegraph who have him linked to us.

• 84 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Young Magpie From Burnley

No one knows what the hold up is with the move, apparently we havent even agreed a fee yet which probably makes the most sense seeing as he’s not here. If he is holding out for something better I can’t blame him.

Dont forget we all blasted Remy for choosing QPR over us, he did so for the money. Mitrovic’s want the best career move for there son..if it was money motivated they’d have snapped our hands of by now. Roma, Porto or Newcastle…..we all love our club but are we really that deluded to think out of the 3 teams above we are a better option?

The other 2 cant afford the fee and we havent agreed a fee!!

• 85 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM

With you mentioning it Jib I thought you were involved , christ you have a good memory mate.

I recall the Tv interview with the lad with the Bat ,,strangely enough he looked like a young Paul Simpson ..wor new coach / buffer.

• 86 Macas // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Online Guy – Players can be hate figures without fans actually hating the person you know. It’s just an expression. And I was responding to magscar not myself…

• 87 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Can’t say I do
    I remember Jack for misprouncing foreign players names.
    He called Roberto Rivelinho – Bobby Revelation

• 88 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM

It’s not MItrovic’s Fatha that is delaying the deal lads its his Aunty Maureen.

• 89 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:28 PM

mispronouncing even

• 90 optimistic prime // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Interesting, and I agree with the writer.

• 91 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:32 PM

I said this earlier today
    The Mitrovics fannied about when AM signed for Anderlecht , it turned into quite a saga , he was linked in April 2013 but didn’t sign until August 12th , so they have previous form.

• 92 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Remember there are visa issues for this Mitrovic deal to consider !

What if his family are not allowed in the country to visit or to stay with him? Hes only 20 and would be in a foreign country earning over 40k a week that could be deadly

I think its good he has family looking after him means they try to keep him behaving

Look at Sterling acting like a spoilt brat at the same age money changes people too much too young !!

Also no word on centre backs is very worrying that should be the priority

• 93 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Our toon

I get that, it just seems like this link has gone on for years, if he really does support us then you would think he would be here right now, surely his dad wouldn’t get in the way of that?

The other clubs interested have the persuasion of champions league which is fair enough, but if they can’t offer a reasonable amount for him then surely the mitrovic’s realise that we are a club that really want him. With his family supposedly being here that must mean it is close. With the length this is taking there have been so many varying articles about the situation you can never know what to believe. I just hope that behind the scenes we are trying to sign CB’s and all this news regarding Mitrovic is just a smokescreen to the media allowing us to get our required defensive targets with less media exposing, thus stopping other clubs stepping in. I hope we are trying to sign Mitrovic though, great prospect!

• 94 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Macas, fair play ..I recall the Harvey out boys in the Leazes .. it was people joining in and gave the impression of hate ..what it was was stupid , and not every ones opinion in the ground ..just sheep following thoughts on willo is he’s limited and ok as backup ..just a technical opinion ..Macas I want you to go and watch some of the goals we conceded last season and tell me what you think of willo running slower than my grannie and how far out of it he is when we got caught out ..have a peep , I’m not being factitious I really think its a problem mate

• 95 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM

If we are talking about the past as you seem to be with the Mitrovic’s, please remind me how many times we try to penny pinch over deals in the past?

Would it not be fair to say we are the ones penny pinching right now? After all the news earlier today was that a fee hadn’t been agreed, Anderlecht wanting 18m Euros and we’ve offered 16.7m Euros

• 96 john_cena163 // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:37 PM

oi oi oi testing 123

• 97 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Off to walk the dog ..I said Walk !

• 98 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM

John cena

Got you ..go aheed

• 99 JAMSHA // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM

testing Faild

• 100 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Evening fella’s. This is the latest report on the Mitrovic saga from the Mirror..

According to this it is being drawn out because he is considering his options and really wants to play CL next season. Alot of different stories going about like..

• 101 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM

I haven’t been paying attention much lately, but am I right in assuming Vuckic was left home even though only 23 players went to the States?

• 102 Jewishgeordie // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:43 PM

We need Austin proven prem goal scorer…….

• 103 JAMSHA // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:43 PM

lol online..looks like fat man doesnt like the name Ashley slayer beside my nick

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

• 104 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Young Burnley

It’s great that he supports us but it doesnt mean its a good career move for him though does it? This lad is far to good to be here anyway, if we get him it’ll be a real coup for the club. Remember we have been a circus for the past 8 years, unstable environment… hating the owner, the owner being a tight fcuk and only having ambition to remain in prem.

Last season we told the world we don’t want European football or EL as it means we will get involved in a relegation battle. Theres more cons than pros for this lad to join us. Show patience, it seems 1 deal for Wijnaldum has got everyone a bit silly in thinking we’ve done a complete 360. It’s uncertain that a fee has been agreed, plenty of media speculation which changes everyday, He will hopefully sign when its reported the fee has been agreed by both parties. At the moment nor Anderlecht or us have said we’ve agreed a fee

• 105 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM

We definitely don’t need Austin because Zamora did all the hard work for him which he won’t have here and we have Cisse whos better goals to mins played ratio than Austin.

• 106 Macas // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Online Guy – Williamson has his faults and should not be in our first team. I just didn’t think defensively he was much worse than the rest of our defenders as none of them really inspire me with confidence. On the ball however he is poor.

• 107 Lindisfarne // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Colombus @3

Collocinni owes us a good young Argentiniain that can actually play football. I mentioned Ezequiel Munoz a couple of weeks ago as someone worth scouting, might be too late now.

• 108 Graeme // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Online – I was an Apprentice with the CEGB in 1970, so spent a fair bit of time in Leeds. First Digs were in Escort Avenue, 2 mins walk to The Cricket Ground and through to the Rugby. 2nd Digs was in Harefields Lane, opposite the Park, then back to Headingly again.
    Leeds was OK lol

• 109 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM

That link to the Mirror article sums up exactly what i mean, its a recycled article with a new headline but no facts or quotes to back it up. Lazy journo to sell sensationalist headlines

• 110 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM

I want Austin, but I’ll be happy with Mitrovic also, so long as his heart is in it and he is here for the right reasons.

I really don’t care about Austin’s all round game or his stats in other areas. He can score goals in this league and that’s all im bothered about really.

• 111 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM

I agree defensively Williamson isnt the worst defender we have but when you add on the lack of movement, he’s probably the slowest out of the CB’s and definitely the worst on the ball. His reading of the game is also very poor….but he has height. Overall he’s championship standard at best

• 112 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:55 PM

I think if we play a higher pressing game and keep possession more the defence will improve even with the personnel we have

Pardew and Carver used to park the bus all the time and hardly encouraged our players to fight for the ball so our defenders were always under constant pressure

But we defo could do with some better defenders would quite like Veltman over one of the African defenders as dont want any more players who go away mid season

• 113 bladeuser // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:57 PM

willo still as fourth choice thats why nufc will always b shit
    a liverpool fan would have willo behind a 16 year old trainee in there squad
    he is worse than awful whats wrong with u just goes to show most of u know f$@$ all what a good player is and r content on finishing fourth bottom

• 114 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Austin doesn’t want to come here. More importantly he’s letting his wife decide and she has already come out and said she wants to remain in London.

Have you lads actually seen Austin play a full 90mins? Not on the telly but at the ground? There’s a reason why no one has bid 15m for him and remember being English is a commodity most clubs crave for with the HG quota. Says alot about him and his attributes, I said he reminds me of Darren Bent, scores for low league teams but never good enough for bigger teams

• 115 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Signing Austin is a sideways step or even a backward step depending on which way you look at it.

• 116 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Lee Charnley

I agree with you mate, we need to press higher up the pitch and as a team collectively. Winning the ball higher up the pitch is the best form of defence for our lot

• 117 Belfast // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Bored shitless of this Serbian bloke now. Like Gervinho all over again.

• 118 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Hold on our toon I never said that I’m really optimistic about the transfer window because of 1 great signing, the last 8 years have been terrible and this signing doesn’t make that alright. It’s a step in the right direction at least.

You’re right about the club not having much appeal, but that didn’t stop Wijnaldum did it?

I believe that he wants to come, but maybe his desire for champions league holds him back. I hope this is sorted out soon as we have no time to waste regarding transfers.

• 119 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Can anyone give me a recap of our top 5 realistic cb targets please?

• 120 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:08 PM

I have a really good feeling about Aarons, did more then all of our wingers in 5 games lmao.

If he didn’t get his injury I doubt he would be here anymore, can’t wait to watch him play in pre-season again. Very exciting talent!

• 121 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Abdennour-slightly farfetched.
    Damn I can’t remember!

• 122 King Colback // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM

linked to townsend again

• 123 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Please no!!

• 124 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Mr blade user,
    Please calm down, you’re freakin me out !

• 125 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Haha, I remember a while back when everyone thought bladeuser was a troll because he used to back up Welshie.

I mean, sorry bladeuser, you’re name is scary!

• 126 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Thanks YMFB. It’s a wonder we haven’t been linked with caulker more by now. I’m not sure about him tbh as the last 2 teams he’s played for have ended up relegated.

• 127 Belfast // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Now bladeuser would know how to do a fist sign Jail..

• 128 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM

No problem buddy 🙂

Yeah that record kinda speaks for itself, I feel bad for him because he looks decent and scores a couple of goals a season!

• 129 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Wijnaldum is a really good acquisition by us no doubting that buddy but he rejected Sunderland, can’t remember to much about any other big European teams being after him this summer. He also knows of McClaren seeing as he won the Dutch league with Twente. Big difference between him and Mitrovic.

There is no quick fix for us to start competing higher up the table, players of the ilk of Mitrovic (if he signs), Wij, SDJ (if fit) will be key but we have to at least remain patient….to get the quality of Mitrovic isn’t an overnight deal like an Austin would be, it’s a deal which will be drawn out as he’s real quality. Debuchy took 6 months.

Wijanldum took 5 years, we first bid for him in 2010 and balked at the 5m pound asking price!! Mitrovic has been 2 weeks

• 130 Thump // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:23 PM

@Our Toon: In all fairness, Wijnaldum rejected Sunderland because he thought they played in the Championship.

An easy mistake to make, of course 😀

• 131 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Abdennour is one we can definitely cancel off the list, he’s another whose far to good and will only consider top european clubs (apparently)

• 132 Newcastle for alltid // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Wijnaldum is a great signing. Hope we get Mitrovic as well. Austin would do too. Exciting times, and all that.
    Still, a team is only as strong as the weakest link(s). Even if we buy 4-5 great attacking players and play exciting football going forward, if our defence stays the same, we`ve not moved a step forward at all.
    It`s quite embarrassing that we`re still stuck with the same CBs as we`ve had for years. Colo was great a 2-5 years ago, I`ll give him that. It`s only the last few years his standard has fallen. He should be moved on. Saylor was a great prospect, and if you gave him 10 matches on the run he was good. Too bad he rarely gets it. I`ll always see him as mediocre, and remember him for reckless challenge and poor decision-making. I don`t buy the whole Local lad/breathes the club and the city/bahblah with this one. He`s not good enough. The only reason you see him make the occasional last-minute heroic tackle is cause he`s reading the game poorly. A player who is always “last-ditching” is in truth always lagging behind the other players.
    And Williamson. Oh boy. Who would have though he`s still in the club? Belongs in the championship. How many times haven`t we though we`ve finally got rid of him because of new cover, a bad run of games etc.? Still the guy keeps fkcuking respawning again and again. We will never be a good team again with this trio still playing. Make CBs priority please!

• 133 lee-toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Maybe if the toon signed him we could be his third team lucky and he could end up in champions league rather than the championship this time round ????

• 134 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Hahaha that’s my point though, he rejected to scum and waited for a better club…..which just happened to be us, cant see Dick being to happy with that one

SIDE NOTE: Anyone heard from TFL (ToonFromLeeds) I’m a bit worried about the fella, he had an op and hasnt been back since

• 135 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:29 PM

That’s the fist sign for winking smiley faces with a æ stuck in their eye !

• 136 Belfast // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:29 PM

I was thinking the same thing regarding tfl. There was a poster suggesting the whole op thing was a hoax. Not sure how they came to that conclusion though.

Cynical bunch on here like haha

• 137 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM

How dare you be so optimistic! This is the toon we are talking about!! 😉

But seriously, you never know. More likely we would be the third team to get relegated with him!

But if you believe in all this voodoo then one could suggest that West Ham are down this season, as unlikely as that seems!

• 138 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM

I’d like to think the majority are genuine on here with the exception of a few who….won’t mention any names!! I hope TFL is ok, don’t believe this lying malarkey.

• 139 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Yeah, I really hope TFL is alright. Normally a regular poster so this is quite scary.

How could anyone suggest that this is a hoax? This is a very sensitive issue and I really wouldn’t see TFL being the kind of person to lie about this stuff.

• 140 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:42 PM

It’s six and two three’s for me. It’s all hear say with Austin and Mitrovic, too many conflicting stories going around to know anything on either of them as concrete.

I don’t think it would be a side step at all on Austin, he banged 18 in last season, that for me is not to be over looked, it’s a really good season for the lad, especially in this league.

The last time a Toon player hit anything over 18 goals in the Premier League was Alan Shearer over 10 years ago.

And this was in a decent side, not QPR.

I’ll be happy with either of them but I just prefer Austin if it comes to picking from the two.

• 141 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:46 PM

More bad PR from the sun.
    They are reporting that Cisse is a bigamist and that his first wife was only 13 years old when she conceived his child.
    The Mag are reporting this tale as well – suggesting there is more news about his sexploits that what he does on the pitch.

• 142 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Agreed on TFL buddy.

On Austin for some reason he just reminds me of Darren Bent, remember Bent scored 20 plus for a relegated Charlton. With Austin Bobby Zamora did all the hard graft for him to score the majority of his goals. If you look at it

Austin 35 starts 18 goals
    Cisse 11 starts, 11 sub apps, 11 goals

Thats why in my opinion Austin is a sideways step, he wouldn’t take us to the next level. Decent player though

• 143 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM

That’s what happens when you treat the media with disrespect, bad publicity. Why do the club not understand this? It baffles me!

• 144 Belfast // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM

I don’t think he was lying either just seen a few comments suggesting he was.

• 145 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM

YMFB – exactly – if the club had stopped this mularkey about preferred media partners this story may not have seen the light of day.
    I think Wally might not like this sort of thing as well as the porky pies to the fans. so I’d be surprised if it continues. I don’t think he will be associated with all these shenanigans -and will therefore end it once and foreall. Which is a good thing.

• 146 Online Guy // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:55 PM

I lived in Cardigan Road, Leeds, near Yorkshire Television studios. , I used to commute over the Pennines to Rochdale Via Burnley , before moving to Rochdale . I recall being threatened with a knife on the back of a single decker bus by a bunch of Burnley Lads, I was with another football pal. I talked them out of doing me , got talking about all the Geordie’s that had played for Burnley and how much we Geordies loved Burnley ..saved my skin ..I was only a young un’ meself. I’v been in some scrapes

• 147 Our Toon // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Mister Tuff

The story is a complete waste of a read, shocking revelation…..does any actually give a toss as to what he does or any other person does in there personal life?

The Sun have long had a vendetta against Muslim players, Tiote was also targeted by them as were other muslim players!! Utter nonsense, in his religion he’s allowed to marry up to 4 wives without getting divorce. It’s not uncommon for places in Asia or Africa to have weddings of youngsters who are underage, Cisse wife was apparently 13 and Cisse was 16!!

• 148 Mister Tuff // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Whilst there are cultural differences in lots of countries and within different religions -having it away with a thirteeen year old, even though he was 16, just isn’t right.

• 149 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:59 PM

What has happened to that fella TFL like?

• 150 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Back to more important matters, do we think we will sign another player this week? or is Charnley all worn out over the Wijnaldum deal

• 151 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Mister Tuff

It’s common practice in some places, different cultures behave and act in different ways. We do things here which you’d get hung or killed for in other countries.

• 152 Mister Tuff // Jul 14, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Our Toon -I see you posted at the same time – cannot comment on what the Sun has been up to historically re this subject. (don’t read it).Are there not moves afoot to try to stop girls this young being married off in countries where this is prevailent.

• 153 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Mister Tuff

In the main cities probably yes but in poorer communities its common practice mate, also these coutries are rife with corruption so the chances of Cisse getting done would be hugely minimal, I personally think its wrong but unfortunately some cultures beg to differ.

We have rights for Gay/Homosexual people in this country but from my parents birth place you’d be stoned to death or hung for indulging, behaving or engaging in such acts.

Adultery is another one, probably happens every 5mins here (exaggeration) but in some countries you get stoned to death for it

• 154 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Got to remember with Cisse’s upbringing this is probably normal behaviour

• 155 lesh // Jul 14, 2015 at 1:39 AM

Our Toon

I think you’re right to be concerned about ToonfromLeeds.

You may have noticed that Toon Digest site was pulled after his first round of surgery then the ToonToon site appeared and ain’t moved on and for all the lad denied he had owt to do with them, the coincidences are there.

Like you, and all on the site, I hope he’s pulled through.

I wonder if Ed could send him a mail to ask kindly after him.

• 156 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 1:58 AM

I liked the digest blog and although TFL hasn’t been heard from since his op, there is a new site called WeAreTheMags which keeps popping up on my twitter feeds and that looks very similar to digest. I along with everyone else wish him the best

• 157 AmeriToon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:04 AM

I don’t think Austin wouldn’t be a sidestep. But Mitrovic is a Champs league quality player. I really think all this worrying about Mitro deal taking too long and wanting other clubs is nonsense. Deals like these don’t happen overnight.
    Mitrovic and cisse would be great for this season. Mitrovic will only get better whereas Austin is peaking. Plus we already have cisse who can bang them in if given quality service.

Onto Center backs
    I would love to see us sign one of either Rudiger or Matip. They’re both tall huge players which is exactly what the team is lacking.
    It would be a bonus if we could also sign Veltman since he looks like a very intelligent player although I haven’t seen him play much (can anyone rate him?).
    Then we could ship out Colo to Crystal palace and give Willo to an orphanage as a janitor.

Realistically though I see us only signing one CB this window.

• 158 AmeriToon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:12 AM

Squad I would like to see after summer
    Janmaat Rudiger Veltman Haidara
    Wijnaldum Colback
    Sissoko De Jong Perez
    Subs: Darlow Lascelles Dummet Anita Cabella Aarons Cisse

• 159 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:25 AM

I would definitely have Mitrovic or Austin. In fact I would argue that Cisse is equally if not a better player when in form.

Mitrovic and an inform Cisse upfront would be a formidable partnership De Jong sitting just behind them in a free roll.

• 160 AmeriToon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:37 AM

That would be great. We could lineup with a 4-3-1-2
    I think steve has said that he wants to build a 4231 formation though so I don’t think we’ll see Mitrovic and Cisse playing together except at the end of games when we’re going for a goal

• 161 Santon03 // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:11 AM

I hope we could get Santon back from Inter and Dummet can play as CB or Santon can play as winger, he only played as winger for less than 60minutes and scored 1 goal for NUFC.

Regarding Mitrovic, I think the club should move on to another striker if we were trying to get 2 rather than wait on him. I don’t really know what is the deal with Mitro and his family, it’s getting confusing. Why visit SJP if you are not going to sign?

I don’t think we are anywhere near Okaka, so many players have been linked with us. If the club president said “can’t wait for him to go” then he is trouble like Balotelli or Nile Rangers.

• 162 Santon03 // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:27 AM

Visa and father, seems the boy has no say in his future. the boy probably want to join NUFC but the father has bigger ambition.

• 163 AmeriToon // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:33 AM

Sounds like you just want Santon back so you don’t have to change your name. Or maybe you are the real santon and he actually wants to come back now that PardWho has left.

• 164 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Blimey, it doesn’t look like the big 2 Manc clubs are going to let the grass grow under their feet… Man U will be strong now…but they need to sort a centre half out (we know how they feel there!). I hope they get Ramos – I’ll stick me neck out and say he’s not suited to PL footy at all. Man City get Raheem and possibly De Bruyne…their squad looks scary! When you look at the likes of these you realise how far off the pace we really are now. Years of astute building ahead, but its harder and harder now – players want to go to massive clubs as soon as they do well,and are less willing to hang around while building happens

• 165 Sack Llambias // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:47 AM

Laurent Blanc could be the answer at Centre Back, he’s more mobile than Mike Williamson and has greater positional sense than Steven Taylor, even at his advanced age. Whilst we’re at it, maybe we could register Peter Beardsley as a player as I’d wager he’d do better, even now at 54, than some of the wasters masquarading as footballers in our squad – I’m looking at you Gouffran, Obertan, Sammi etc.
    We need a massive clear out to aid development and bring the youngsters through.

• 166 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:50 AM

Ha ha, yeah how about Franco Baresi. ‘None shall pass…’

• 167 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:51 AM

True, but for a borderline very good player, clubs like NUFC can at least guarantee them regular first team places – which is not always the case at big clubs.

• 168 Sack Llambias // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:53 AM

I see Aaron Hughes has just signed for your local Melbourne club. He played right across the back four and Souness sold him for £ 1 million in a general job lot clear out.

• 169 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Yeah, there are campaigns in many African countries to stop the practice of Child marriages. You can’t blame Cisse for this though, often the children have absolutely no say in any of it, and one child is sold the other family (often female to the male’s family) and they are forced to marry and all that goes with it. If the Sun is using it to have a go at Cisse’s character then it just shows the lack of cultural awareness and a willingness to print half truths that are defamatory to anthers character.

• 170 Magpie Season // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:54 AM

I remember couple years ago Joey Barton & Nile Ranger couldn’t get their visas approved for the US.

• 171 Sack Llambias // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:57 AM

McClaren is a good judge of a player by reputation at Boro. I suspect he might not get around to a full assessment of staff until around end of window. Currently we have a lopsided squad with massive holes defensively.

• 172 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM

True, but I think the the player who wants or expects to be playing every game is becoming more rare these days. I recall some players who used to come from abroad, when they were more of a novelty, not always seeming to be busting a gut to play every week. It seemed to me they didn’t play as often on the continent… Rotation is a relatively new thing to us but maybe more acceptable to players here than it was. Which I find frustrating but they stay healthier.

• 173 Sack Llambias // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:03 AM

We do have to respect other cultures and treat other religions and races with respect if we are to live in harmony. I am not just talking about on a football site. You have travelled while it seems to me Tuff is just a bigoted old man who is ignorant period.

• 174 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM

Cabaye (one of the players I had in mind) is going to be central to P45’s set up at Palace. It will be interesting to see if he can deliver the goods week in week out.

• 175 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Coloccini, Willo, Sissoko, Tiote out..
    Mitrovic, Rudiger, Veltman, Thauvin, Townsend in..

• 176 Toonfan8 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:22 AM

I think Mitrovic is waiting if Dzeko deal with Roma come through. If Dzeko signs for Roma, then Mitrovic will be here…We are his second option with two alternatives, but who can blame him? Roma end in 2nd place in Italy, beautiful city and weather. But if he will come here, he will see a lot of passion and will love it here, Serbs are passionate too and Newcastle is his childhood team

• 177 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:26 AM

We need at least another four in without anyone leaving, if those lot are to leave we need another seven.

• 178 expatmag // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM

Sack Llambuas

Yes. I see that. He has signed for Melbourne City which is the Man City affiliated team. Damien Duff played for them last season.

However, my team is the current Australian champions, Melbourne Victory.

• 179 Toonfan8 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM

what we need right now:
    1CM—if Tiote or Abeid leave—Lemina
    if these 5 will come here, we should have great squad, competition for places and quality players.

• 180 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM

Are you sure ?

• 181 Toonfan8 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM

but maybee this is planned to this 3 windows these players…

• 182 firebug666 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Not sure if we are His second choice, it seems more likely we are his fathers second choice, it appears he is pulling all the strings.

I think that without that father influence he would most likely be signed and in America now.

I think the club should dish out some ultimatums and move on, as the reports are that everything is agreed, fee personal terms etc, he just needs to turn up for the medical and sign.

• 183 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Why does people keep saying Roma is Mitrovic first choice when he is a nufc fan? There is a video on YouTube put up a few years ago he was asked what wa his fav club and league he said Newcastle and Premier league . I can find it if Yous like? Ps is there any way we can watch this match coming up at 8?

• 184 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Essential signings in order of priority.
    Two first team CB’s, CF, RW and back up RB.

• 185 Toonfan8 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM

if we want to be top6 team, then definetely…we cant afford Willo,Collo or Saylor at CB position…and we need strong centre forward upfront, powerful…this players fit in what SM, LC and GC and MA think is best for Newcastle, young with resale value and with profit, if he want to make better profit, then he needs to start buying better players, European football more money, better players…

• 186 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM

Yes he really is key for them. The question for me is has he declined in the last couple of years, If he’s the same Cabaye that left us I think he will be good there. Fans are passionate and noisy there, and they will love him – he seems to have that affinity and connection with fans. He does have that streak in his character though, he can blow a fuse when things don’t go his way. Be interesting to see how he goes though, I agree

• 187 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM

I watched him in a recent France friendly and he didn’t impress.

• 188 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Charlie Austin will get 15-20 goals a season but will have little future value. Mitrovic MIGHT get 15-20 goals and MIGHT sell for 25-30M in two years time where we will need to find another 15-20 goal a season striker. Why can’t we put the good of the team before gambling on a profit.

• 189 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:40 AM

@jail never never understood it nufc fans always go on about fees and our spending I do myself duno why it shouldn’t concern us. You think Chelsea fans are saying we shouldn’t have paid £40m or whatever on Falcao or any other team in the league for that matter.

• 190 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:40 AM

If we get Mitrovich and he doesn’t take to PL football we’re stuck with him for five years.

• 191 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Blame FM. I stopped playing it ten years ago.

• 192 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I take it from that you would prefer Austin to Mitrovic? Austin is only 25, and being English if he came here and did well for two years – 15-20 goals a season you can bet that he would still have a sell on value to one of the top clubs in the Prem. That Home Grown status, particularly if they tighten the rules will ensure that.

Mitrovic is younger, and already a better player than Austin. He may take time to settle, he may not. He offers more pace than Austin, he is powerful and aggressive when attacking the ball and can finish. For me he is a no brainer. Yes, there is a chance we could lose him in a couple of years for big cash if he does well.

The only way to keep hold of either if they come in and score 15-20 goals a season for 2 years would be to build a successful side. If we don’t then whichever one you sign could easily head elsewhere for big bucks.

• 193 Slank // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Jail for Ashley @ 184

Totally agree about the order of priority and especially pleased you have included a backup RB as I believe this is the weak point of the squad. Although Pardew played Anita as RB, when Janmaat was absent, it was very much an ‘if all else fails’ selection.

I’m curious about your inclusion of a RW. Is this because you see Sissoko and/or Cabella leaving ?

• 194 BandB // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:44 AM

By this time last year, July 14, we had signed Perez, Colback, De Jong and Cabella.
    Friday 16th will Riviere’s first anniversary and Saturday 17th Janmaat’s.
    So, by this time last year our transfer business was effectively wrapped up.
    Better players may be taking longer to convince.
    So far though, we are well behind the clock on last year.

• 195 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:44 AM

If everyone applied that logic nobody would ever sign anyone. You have to weigh up the probabilities and go for it with everyone to some extent surely?

• 196 Toonfan8 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:46 AM

look at C.Austin level at 20 and Mitrovic at 20…he won U19 EURO, he has played in Champions league, scored against Dortmund and Arsenal there, already full international at 20…last year best scorer in Jupiler league with 20 goals, second has only 15…I dont think its too much gambling at all, he is just another level to Austin, take facts as they are

• 197 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:48 AM

@Lilongwe I don’t think I would say Mitrovic offers more pace than Austin. Charlie Austin is pritty quick when he wants to be Mitrovic is a Giroud type of player and most of his goals come through headers. That’s why I wouldn’t mind him so we bloody finally stop hoofing the ball to MIKE Williamson because he is the only tall player we have.

• 198 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:50 AM

I think that NUFC fans talk about fees and spend more and more because during Ashley’s reign there has been minimal spend. We know this, and we are left having to consider who is best for the little money the club would spend. We know that finances are the key focus for the club, and therefore it does and will affect our thinking on signings.

I’m sure we would all rather not talk about it, but until the club are willing to loosen the purse strings and pay the extra when necessary then it will always remain part of the whole transfer dealings discussion.

• 199 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:50 AM

If anyone finds any sort of link or anything to the match here would you be kind enough to post it. Doubt there will be one though.

• 200 expatmag // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM

yes. And De Jong Perez Colback Cabella Riviere and Janmaat are still at the club.

• 201 Toonfan8 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM

also Mitrovic is better allround player, is taller, offer more treat, better technical ability, simply is better player than Ch. Austin, I dont have a problem with Austin being second option if Mitrovic turns us down. But rather wait for little bit extra quality. Either nobody will pay what QPR wants…

• 202 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:54 AM

I agree. In modern football clubs in the middle bracket have to have a sustained / consistent period of good luck mixed with wise acquisitions just to keep up. Players are much more keen to move up as soon as they hit a good patch. less and less loyalty, more agent pressure to move so they can get their slice of the pie. The inequality is in the fact that the big wealthy clubs can take the odd hit. They can have more of a scatter gun approach – like Man City

• 203 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I wish Rivière wasn’t!

• 204 BandB // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:57 AM

By July 14 last year we had spent around £17m on transfers.
    This year by July 14 we have spent £14.5.
    “The big spending days are back” assets the Northern Echo. A point not entirely proven just yet.

• 205 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Wait I thought I saw that we were playing today uk early time. just has up 8pm doesn’t say what time zone that’s for so will we be playing around 1 uk or 8?

• 206 sing in the corner // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:59 AM

The worry is we may get neither Mitrovic nor Austin…then we have a problem, cos there’s not a lot being bandied about publiclyin terms of option 3. And we really don’t want to be going into the new season without a decent striker signing,
    I would be encouraged with some news in the central defence area. It seems quiet on that front, which is astounding when that is the weakest area.

• 207 Slank // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM

BandB @ 194

‘..this time last year we had signed Perez, Colback, De Jong and Cabella..’

If my memory serves me right Perez and Colback were not welcomed with a lot of enthusiasm by the fans and in some cases the club was criticized for it whereas with De Jong and Cabella there was almost universal acceptance.

So it is somewhat ironic that Perez and Colback were unquestionably more effective last season than De Jong and Cabella due to circumstances.

I don’t know what this tells us about the timing of when players are purchased. Probably the best buy was Janmaat and he was one of the late comers.

• 208 firebug666 // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:01 AM

2am UK time mate

• 209 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:01 AM

I’m not to sure if it would be big enough of a sell on to temp the fat man though, the way clubs are humming and harring now makes me think his value wouldn’t go up too much. As I say, you’d be guaranteed goals.

• 210 BandB // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Just pointing to the timetable.
    Not making any comment on who was welcome, who did well individually, or who is still here.
    Just that they all nearly got relegated.

• 211 Ibizatoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:06 AM

BandB…Good morning. Just off to work.

• 212 BandB // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Just wrapping up myself.

• 213 Mister Tuff // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Woah – go to bed for a couple of hours -get up for a brew and find that after varied debates all of good nature and no rucking, I get attacked for being bigoted and ignorant in general by Sack Llambias.
    It would appear this sniper style attack is an attempt to settle old scores on here and nothing else just someone waiting for an opportunity for “payback”.

I reported earlier that the Sun were accusing Cisse of bigamy with a 13 year old – and that I did not like the practice.
    That was the essence of my input and I get accused of bigotry and general ignorance which is completely unwarranted.

I am completely aware of the issues surrounding this topic specifically in West Africa and the suggestion that I have no respect of other cultures and religions by Sack Llambias is laughable, it is also invented to cast a slur.

Polygamy was banned in the Ivory Coast over 30 years ago – it is reducing but still practiced. So using the criteria of the true bigot -Sack Lllambias -who has invented this ruck -to suit his sniping agenda – there must be a lot of bigots and ignorant people in the Ivory Coast.

Sack Llambias – are the reformers of womens rights in Ivory Coast bigots -surely they must be using your vile sniping invented argument.
    There is a debate in the Muslim World on this subject – are those who debate this subject bigots.

A Qur’anic passage states “marry those women who seem good to you, two three or four, but if you fear you cannot do justice to them, then marry only one”.
    Reformers suggest this passage should be taken as a prohibition on polygamy as it is humanly impossible to treat two people, let alone two wives with absolute equity.
    Sack Llambias – are these reformers bigot and ignorant as well.

The issues may be further complicated in Ivory Coast as the population has a lot more females than men – so if monogamy was practiced a lot of women would remain unmarried.

For me there is nothing more insidious and disgusting than a constructed or invented argument, in which the allegations are a lie, purely to have a go at another poster – to settle old scores.

Why I ask – easy to explain and reveal.
    Firstly, the real bigot, Sack Llambias, aims the post at another -on a friendly basis, in this case Lilo, and makes the allegations. The third party is then “buttered up” with a statement that he is well travelled (suggesting I am not) finishing with the lie.
    Now then for me this MO -modus operandi – only fits the profile of one poster on here – Ian Toon – the master multiple.

Ian Toon – you are one sick individual – and at that back to the pit.

• 214 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM

I’ve seen a reasonable amount of Mitrovic, probably more than I have of Austin to be fair, and he is far more than an aerial goalscorer. He can finsih well with both feet. He doesn’t have the calmness of Giroud, but he is a fair bit younger so that may well come.

I’d take Mitrovic over Austin, but I think Austin would do a decent job up here as well. Would still like a more mobile centre forward who can play wide in a three and score as well though.

• 215 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Are Mitrovic’s parents still in Newcastle?

• 216 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Sissoko – can’t play the passing game (horrible first touch and whenever he gets it, his head goes down on the ball (aloof of everyone else’s position) and just runs with the ball ultimately giving it up to opposition defenders.
    Tiote – No matter how good or bad a player you are or how high your own self appreciation is, no one calls your own team a ‘shit team’ no matter how hard times the team is going through and also when u get your a** injured playin for your country.
    Coloccini- AP needs a CB, please give us the 2 mill. Horrible defending and invisible in the air.
    Willo- Really??
    Cisse- Spitgate.. should have held his nerves on that situation. Can’t play as a lone striker and at the final age to be sold off.

• 217 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:11 AM

For those of Yous that havnt seen here is the video of Mitrovic saying he likes Nufc and Premier league was put up around 2 years ago. He says it not that long into the video..

• 218 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:12 AM

I’d like to see a genuine RW with ten goals in him and don’t think thats Sissokos best spot.
    Of course you have to take chances on some players that might not settle but Austin has already done the business for a year, less risk and less potential profit imo but definitely goals.
    You could be right as I haven’t seen the lad play at all.

• 219 Slank // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Ron Knee @ 215

‘Are Mitrovic’s parents still in Newcastle?’

I doubt it. The club probably ushered them out pretty quickly before they stumbled on Byker, Blyth or Sunderland and there would end any hopes of getting the player !

• 220 hibbit // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM

why can we not have both austin would hit the ground running which would give mitrovic time to settle plus we perez and rivi …….i think cisse will gone……….for me the biggest problem is the back four

• 221 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM

The fact that clubs are humming and barring would suggest that none of them are quite certain that he guarantees goals. If he did it for another 2 years, then he would be in a prime position for a move to a top club.

Van Persie went to Man U for £31million as a 28/9year old. In 8 years at Arsenal he scored more than 10 Prem goals just 4 times and over 20 just once (11, 11, 18, 30). Austin got 18 last year, if he replicated that over the next 2 years he would be worth a lot as a 27 years old hitting what is generally considered a strikers peak years.

I’m not comparing the quality of the 2, more the fact that the big clubs don’t care if they are splashing out for an older player if he is doing the business. In 2 years Chelsea could be looking for a Costa replacement, if Austin did well, who knows….

• 222 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Mitrovic is the first Sheareresque striker since the great man retired. He has all the attributes to be the next Ruud Van Nistelrooy. He is the solution for lack of goals for NUFC if he can be signed up asap. He is lethal!

previous post: Newcastle Reported After French Defensive Midfielder