The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported In A Move For Italian Striker

8:05 am, Monday, July 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

It would be another coup for Newcastle if we can somehow get 20 year-old Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic through the door in the coming days, and then Newcastle would need to sign one more striker, and our choice would be Charlie Austin.

But there’s news from Italy today that Newcastle are interested in 25 year-old Sampdoria striker Stefano Okaka, who has played for the Italian U19, U20 and U21 youth sides and once for the full side last November.

Stefano Okaka

Stefano Okaka – 25 year-old Sampdoria striker

The report is in Tuttomercatoweb and the player only signed for Sampdoria last year, moving from Parma.

¨Newcastle are on the trail of Stefano Okaka, who is with Sampdoria for another year of his contract. Newcastle is a club working to revolutionize its forward line in the transfer market this window.¨

Newcastle may be able to get a decent deal on the 6ft 1ins striker with only one year of his contract left, and he could be a cheaper alternative to Charlie Austin.

The player was born in Castiglione del Lago, and he’s been compared to Didier Drogba in style but he doesn’t seem to score an awful lot of goals.

He seems to be in demand in the Premier League with Southampton also said to be interested in the player who turned down a move to Watford last Thursday.

As we said, he could well be a cheaper option for Newcastle if we can get 20 year-old Aleksandar Mitrovic though the door this week.

Stefano has already played for nine different clubs and as we said – he doesn’t score many goals, and has 9 goals in 43 appearances for Sampdoria.

While at Parma for two years (2012-2014) he scored 3 goals in 16 games, and he was loaned out to Serie B side Spetzia during that time, where he scored 7 goals in 38 appearances.

He has already played 236 total games in his career with  40 goals and  19 assists.

stefano okaka scores-ita-celeb490ai

Okaka after scoring winning goal against Albania

Stefano made his debut for Italy against Albania in a friendly last November in Genoa, when he came on as a substitute to score the winning goal in the 1-0 win.

He’s valued at around €6M (£4.2M) on the site.

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonfan8 // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    I agree with you about Mitrovic, at least we want players with quality and ambitions. Yes, it takes time, but we finished down the table and to go up, we have to sign this sort of players…Wijnaldum,Mitrovic will add something we have been missing a long time…and also we need to sign at least one top quality CB Abdennour/Veltman/Matip…

• 2 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:10 AM

• 3 Toonfan8 // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:11 AM

No thanks to Okaka, his goal record is awful….

• 4 Slank // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Sounds too much like

Player to Agent: ‘I need more money’
    Agent to Player: ‘Me too’
    Agent to Player: ‘Premier League ?’
    Player to Agent: ‘Absolutely’
    Agent to Media: ‘…..’

• 5 archaeomag // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:13 AM

In case you had not noticed according to the Mirror
    “Newcastle set to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic for £12million as summer “SPENDING SPREE” continues,
    – one player does not a spree make, very odd use of a collective noun to describe Georginio Wijnaldum, will he get multiple shirt numbers in an attempt to fool the fans he is a spree?

I am braced for a flood, no a Tsunami of further signings…..

• 6 welshgeordie9 // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Now reguarding him.

Sorry Jib.

Ha ha ha

• 7 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Sing in the corner
    I wouldn’t read too much into the players taken to the States , on Nufctv McClaren made it clear it was a neccesary evil to be gotten out of the .way (arranged before he joined the club) his attitude was aload of fruitless travelling with little point to it.

• 8 nut meg // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:18 AM

I said the Jon Dahl Tomasson couldn’t do it in the PL He wasn’t a CF, he was AM who was pushed up to top because of the injury to Shearer & the sale of Ferdinand & he was only 19/20 years old.

• 9 Ron Knee // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:18 AM

According to The Chronic, we’re still pursuing the elusive Charlie:

• 10 nut meg // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:20 AM

I =You

• 11 Slank // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:21 AM

The fact that Mitrovic’s family and agent have been over to the club and no doubt had a tour of the club, the city and where he (and possibly his family) could live shows intent on both sides.

I don’t know whether the other clubs that are supposedly interested in him have gone as far as Newcastle.

He will get more money at Newcastle, a higher profile, greater international exposure and a beneficial Sterling exchange rate than the other clubs.

• 12 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Welshie – the rear guard

Ha ha ha

• 13 Ron Knee // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:23 AM

nut meg
    Were you thinking of ‘I Am The Walrus’?

• 14 tequilamag // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Archeo, shocker . I was always baffled why the press kept saying we were decimated by injuries.If it had only been 10% out at any one time it would have been fine.

• 15 Slank // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:24 AM

‘..I am braced for a flood, no a Tsunami of further signings….’

Could be a trickle or a dribble

• 16 nut meg // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:26 AM

I can’t even blame alcohol… hic, so it’s age i’m afraid.

• 17 kevymartins // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:30 AM

News is 1 hour ago the saMe Twitter account put out the pics of mitrovic family tweeted out that Porto are willing to pay 10m euros but Alderlect have agreed 17.2 mil euros with nufc. Could be true we will find out sometime this week anyway.

• 18 magpiesi // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:32 AM

I would rather take ibarbo instead from calgari he’s 6″+ fast and strong better on the wing but can play alongside a smaller striker. The amount of clubs okaka has had and goal record is poor.

• 19 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Talk of JD Tommasson reminds me , we have a cheek slagging off Pardew when we had that tosser Dalglish as a manager he bought JDT from Heerenveen played him out of position and 10 months later sold him to Feyenoord
    He sold:
    and worst of all Lee Clark to the scum , all because they were Keegans players and he hated Keegans guts .

• 20 Ron Knee // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:38 AM

nut meg
    ‘Youth is wasted on the young.’ Can’t remember who said it!

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Don’t see the relevance or the cheek !

• 22 JP...from The Rock // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Jib- yeah exactly Pardew is a saint compared to that tool Dalglish! I will never forgive him for completely dismanteling The Entertainers single handedly.

• 23 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Totally Agree
    In my eyes Dogleish was the worst manager we had – changed the ethos of the team/players we had from a excitng attack minded team to a boring defensive team and sold Sir Les along with Peter Beardsley, Lee Clark and David Ginola and replaced them with ageing stars like John Barnes (34), Ian Rush (36) and Stuart Pearce (35)

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Am I missing something here. So because Dalglish was a spiteful and abject failure, we have been wrong to complain about Pardew. Get a grip.

• 25 nut meg // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:51 AM

The one I like is, if you never wasted your youth,you wasted your youth.

• 26 beermonkey // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM

read the headline and prayed it wasn’t balotelli

• 27 sing in the corner // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Jib @7

Ah thats good then. Mind I can see one fruitful outcome for the tour if we take our dynamic duo. We could tout Colo around MLS clubs, see if we get a bite. Colo would be sort of nearer his neck of the woods. I wouldn’t include Willo in this plan though, don’t want to insult MLS too much.

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I like what this Wijnaldum has to say, it sounds like he’s been given assurances of ambition.

• 29 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I didn’t quite say that
    However thinking about it , at least Pardew always tried his best , his best may have fallen short of the mark , but he tried , Dalglish was just a tw@t.

• 30 Ron Knee // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:57 AM

nut meg
    It reminds me of: ‘If you can remember the sixties, you weren’t really there.’

• 31 Bambams // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:58 AM

What can the hold up be?
    Doesn’t want to come ? Then why have his family arrived !
    Wages not good enough? Surely they were told prior to flying out our offer !
    Length of contract ? See above !
    Has to be the fact suggested he is waiting for another club…Therefore if this is right he is not the type of player we need. Had too many of them !

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:59 AM

How different life as a toon fan would have been had SBR replaced KK.

• 33 kevymartins // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:59 AM

My final comment on Luuk De Jong. It’s all about chemistry. Did anyone even see Wijnaldum play for Psv? Because if you did you would know that most of his goals came from De Jong holding the ball up and most of De Jongs goals came through him. I bet you any money if you put Luuk De Jong up front with (his brother) and someone he thrived of at Psv it would be nothing like the last time he was here.@ lil you said the Dutch league is sh!t well I would say it’s a lot better than the Belgian pro league. Mitrovic has nothing but potential. It’s a chance you are taking signing a player like this he could turn out worse than rivière and were spending what £12m on him. Safest bet= Austin 50-50 bet= mitrovic. Reliable bet=Cisse

• 34 hibbit // Jul 13, 2015 at 8:59 AM

work permit

• 35 nut meg // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Aye the 60s, my birth certificate tells me I was around but it went by so quick…..and in a blur!

• 36 beermonkey // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:02 AM

pardew always lied to new signings about ambition

the only time we will know if the club has changed when it starts refusing to sell our top players and keeps adding to the squad each summer not buy in one then not buy for 18mnths

• 37 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Ron, I think it was George Bernard shaw, I didn’t Google it so if it turns out to be someone else don’t Jeff me

• 38 hibbit // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:06 AM

kev……i am pretty sure Mc will know all there is to know about ldj and his links with the other dutch players if he wants him i think we will get him well worth the risk

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Never heard of this lad, so no idea what he would be like.

On the Mitrovic saga…. I will stick my neck out and say If it is not agreed properly by the end of today that he will sign 100%, then it wont happen at all. His family have had long enough. I get the feeling Roma ran out of patience, hence that alleged deadline last week.

• 40 Jib // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I think that every day
    That is why I hate Barcelona , when Bobby told them the Toon job was up for grabs , the President told him he was there for years , 10 months later they sacked him.
    We should have had from Bobby what PSV got.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Only time will tell, I think the majority expect to see at least another four first team signings. Wijnaldum alone will not see any difference.
    People also have short memories, we initially had a decent window last summer after 18 months of neglect. Then after every, fan, pundit and journalist said we needed a forward and a CB, as we all clung on to faint hope, they deliberately and ignorantly let go…. would you believe it a forward and CB. A decision that inevitability played a part in our near relegation.

• 42 kevymartins // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:12 AM

If mitrovic signs I’ll be happy and support him but I’d just rather go spend £12 on someone a bit more proven.

how much of a price tag Yous reckon will be slapped on Benteke?

• 43 Tsunki // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Wouldn’t say the Dutch league is totally bad, same as most European leagues 4-6 big hitters but unlike pl, La liga and serie a their league stratifies alarmingly, the rest of the table are another league and attritive hammerings are the order of the day.

• 44 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:12 AM

I see Aaron hughes is off to melborne

• 45 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I felt sorry for Tomasson when he was here. Absolutely misused. He wasn’t strong, fast, and didn’t have a powerful shot, yet played as a sometimes lone forward. His position was attacking midfielder behind the forwards, but was destroyed here because of another idiot playing people out of position.

Dalglish was criminal with the dismantling of a quality squad.

Wijnaldum is a good purchase, but as we’ve let a load go without replacing them, there’s a lot more players needed. About 6 steps back and one forward.

I hope Cathro lives up to his billing as an exciting coach, and with the other appointments, I’m looking forward to seeing how the football style will change. We were also told Des Hamilton was a good up and coming player, so nothing can be accepted on face value. I hope Cathro, and Black play their part and do well with McClaren.

That said, McClaren will have had all this hype at his last few clubs…

Interesting to see James’ post about De Jong saying the new training sessions are already about the team keeping the ball and are different from the last setup.

Training sessions less than a few weeks and they already notice that. Not surprising at all.

Oh, and Ashley out.

• 46 Sav // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Disco Des Hamilton. I’d almost forgotten. Time is a great healer. Wonder if I’ll ever erase the memory of Obertan?

• 47 Jasetheace // Jul 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM

My brother lives in La spezials and watches them in seria b has this lads name on.his shirt rates him as a very poor man’s Emile Heskey

previous post: New Center-Back Proud To Wear Newcastle Shirt