We’ll Learn A Lot About Ourselves On This US Trip

Newcastle assistant coach Paul Simpson thinks the players will learn a lot about themselves on this trip to the US, and since all the coaches are new at the club – they will learn a lot about the players and about themselves too.

The club’s last  trip stateside in 2011 was exhausting but a good one, and it preceded our best finish in the Premier League since 2004, when the great Sir Bobby Robson was still the manager.

We finished 5th and just missed out on a Champions League place, and hopefully this will also be followed by a very good season for Newcastle – we need it!

Paul simpson Steve McClaren

Paul Simpson and Steve McClaren – it’s thinking time

This is what Paul has said on the Newcastle web-site today:

“I think it’s always important to get everybody together so we can learn to live with each other, because during a football season the players probably spend more time with the rest of the group than they do with their own family.”

“You don’t have to be best friends with each other, but you’ve got to respect each other, and you’ve got to have an understanding of what ticks the boxes for each other.”

“That’ll be really important through the season so on this trip away, 11 days or whatever it might be, being in hotels together, a lot of travelling together, being involved in games, being involved in training situations in a different environment; it’s how they all deal with it.”

“We’ll learn things about the players and I’m quite sure they’ll learn stuff about the staff as well – what we like and what we don’t like.”

“The whole process is evolving at the moment. We’re learning lots about each other and hopefully it’ll lead to us having an enjoyable season.”

On this trip we are interested to see how our five central defenders will perform in the games, with Fab Coloccini, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor, Jamaal Lascelles and Curtis Good all in the squad.

How those five play could determine whether it’s only one center-back brought in this summer, and if we still look dodgy at the back, McClaren will probably want two top central defenders brought in.

Team spirit is so important at any club,  and that needs to be repaired after the disasters that happened earlier this year.

It was so bad it was almost unbelievable.

I’m getting a pain in my arm just thinking about it, so I’ll end it here.

• toon kk

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM

They don’t need to go to America to find out how poor they are.

• Transfer Sage

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:27 PM

On charlie Austin he is definitely worth 15mil.

He scored goals last year in a poor team, he should get goals for us. If he is a player that McClaren wants then we should offer 15mil and be done.

He could sign a 5 year deal taking him to 31 and then the transfer fee is only 3mil a year in theory (obviously paid up front). That’s good value for a proven player.

If the club honesty believe we will still get him and at a lower price by waiting then fair enough, if they are gambling and being tight then it’s not good enough. Guess we can’t know for sure.

• Graeme

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Re Mitrovic – –

50 seconds in Question “who is your fav club and what league?

Ans “Newcastle in the english league”

• optimistic prime

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Austin didn’t stand out in a Qpr team set up for him, his goals for was impressive but every other stat was shite.
    Passing etc very poor.

He should be 3rd or 4th choice on our list, he won’t improve NUFC in any way and would be 2nd fiddle to Cisse.

Hes so good there’s a que to sign him, oh wait….. I wonder if many actually watched him play when I read their comments.

The Mitrovich deal won’t happen over night, of course there’ll be noises saying he prefers this and that, he wants the best deal and assurances like anyone else. IMO the reason it’s dragging out is the work permits etc yet people would prefer to beleive he doesn’t want to come.

I beleive he does want to come and it’s quite close, why else would his family and agents be here. Wouldn’t they be visiting Rome or elsewhere if that’s where he was likely to go?

We’ll be working on visas whilst his club tries to work a extra few quid.

You me and we would have plenty to say if we’d agreed a fee agreed terms with the player but then couldn’t get a visa.

I’d rather we tried for quality like Mitrovich and failed than sign poor options like Austin because they’re British.

Even if Mitrovich didn’t sign I still wouldn’t touch Austin.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Graeme

Id love that to be true, but since the questions and answers were all serbian until that point,i suspect it was just words that sounded a bit like “Newcastle in english league” 😀

• RooneyToons

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM

@croftus5678

Richards is far to much of a risk with his injury record and high wages. Absolutely guaranteed to miss half the season at least and he’s nowhere near as fast as he used to be… its a shame as he could of been a massive star in the Prem and for England.
    I saw an interview with him on sky sports news last week and he said his legs aren’t what they used to be and he’s only like 26-27.

As for centre backs I’m really not sure as it depends if Colos leaving… Matip, Veltman and Rudiger play like him stepping forward to intercept the ball its too risky to have 2 CBs like that so maybe N’Koulou rings true but he’s not exactly a beast.
    As for Abdennour I doubt he’d come and his agent is trying his hardest to pimp him out to all the champions league teams.

I actually think Ashley Williams would make a good signing with one of the above we’re always linked with him and have definitely scouted him a lot… proven in the premiership too and maybe would like a new challenge at a bigger club

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM

You cudnt make it up…..I’m not having a go at you as such. We all want improvement but there were guys on here screaming at the start of the summer that we would keep Carver and sign nobody of note. Also that McCalraen would be awful. So far none of the above has shown to be correct. As such those guys are WRONG so why cant they just hang in there and judge when they have more information. Personally I think we may have turned a small corner in terms of our approach as a club. Of course I could be all wrong but we are in a far better position than we were a couple of months ago.

• archaeomag

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:36 PM

At least they have recognised that football is a team game and that they should play as a team; have they been on a special training course or did someone at the club buy a book on sport?

“They need what vee in vootball call team spirit – that is the secret that vee great mangers know , later vee vill talk to the playors about the ball….

• EllaGuru

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Optimistic Prime,

While I agree with you that Mitrovich would be significant upgrade on our current strikeforce, and indeed a significant upgrade on Austin, I think your are being slightly harsh on the lad.
    He played the No. 9 role for QPR (a god-awful team) yet still managed to score something like 18 goals last season. I would not pay too much attention to his passing stats. The lethargy in that QPR side meant for the most part he was doing things on his own. What matters more is his ability to hold-up the ball, and encourage others into the game. Also his willingness to work the channels was evident last season.

Again, I would rather Mitrovich, but if Austin signs up, I am not going to complain.

Also, despite what Ed seems to think, it is either one or the other. There is no way in the world we are going after two 15M+ rated forwards. Lets be reasonable here!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Graeme,
    Is that actually what he says? I heard Newcastle and English league, but he could have been asking any question for all I know!

I think it is more to do with the clubs not quite agreeing the terms of the transfer, as has been reported in a few papers recently. Zahavi has said a contract has been agreed.

Mitrovic may well be thinking if the club aren’t willing to shell out the extra bit of cash for me then maybe they don’t want me that much and Porto/Benfica/Roma may be a better option.

None of us really know, so for people to be criticising Mitrovic is just crazy. The closest to an official statement by someone in the employment of either club and/or player says he has agreed terms. Zahavi was quoted with saying that by numerous sources, which puts the onus on the club, or immigration and visa status.

Mitrovic over Austin every time for me.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Munster

Yeah i agree many shat all over SM before he even landed.

I also agree it APPEARS a small corner has been turned.

Many were wrong about Carver staying, me included, but i don’t think it was unreasonable for us to pre-emptively complain and shout about it because of Jabbas record up to that point. I also think a lot of the shouting and complaining towards the end of the season was justified, and i honestly think that, without it, jabba would not have made the apparent changes. People are waiting now, jabba has bought himself more time, but the pressure from our end should not drop or he might think he has done enough. I dont see it as moaning.

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Hello Ian Toon. Double act with Tsunki? What’s that all about? Did I spill your pop? Anyway thanks for recommending I need a new scriptwriter but if you’re suggesting I hire yours that’s a No. Thanks. I was going to suggest professional jealousy, but judging by the calibre of that joke I won’t.

• Offkey

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Munster – ‘once bitten twice shy’ means nothing to you then. Suppose these common sayings mean nothing and that it is in fact much more common sense to believe whatever someone tells you, no matter what lies or contradictory behaviour they have previously shown.

• RooneyToons

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:46 PM

optimistic prime

Totally Agree on Austin 1 season doesn’t make a man and his general play is sub standard + a lot of his goals were tap ins or standard finishes …. as for being in a bad team they were bad but they weren’t a defensive team by any mean (scoring more goals than teams above them including us and only 4 less than Swansea in 8th)

Mitrovic is such an exciting talent and I believe he’s already a much better player than Austin… his performances away against Arsenal and Dortmund say a lot where he bossed Mertasacker and Hummels two powerful defenders…. he’s a monster who’s much more of a handful than Austin and He’s a natural finisher to boot

SIGN HIM UPPPP

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Martoon, yes I know about the intricacies of visa requirements only too well ha ha. I wasn’t suggesting that he could use his Belgian visa here like an EC Multipass. No – I just mean that his professional status shouldn’t make it any harder to work here and have the relevant permit. I just can’t see that being much of a biggie. Getting into the USA might be different though given the time and anything he might have been up to in the past, if anything 😉

• Jib

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Graeme
    Where did you find that
    Is it genuine or dubbed ?
    Him saying in 2013 that Newcastle is his favourite club after Partizan

• Graeme

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:49 PM

YCMIU – Hopefully it is true, but maybe just hoping too much lol

• Jib

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Partizan knocked us out of Europe after a pen shootout but he would have been 8 years old then

• Ron Knee

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Lilongwe@10
    I agree on Mitrovic but I think the visa situation is a genuine worry. I wonder how long it takes to get an answer out of the Home Office, or whoever. In addition, I read – don’t know if it’s accurate – that he hasn’t played the requisite number of matches for his country.

• LewSpi v2.0

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Graeme

That’s a fantastic find. Published 2 years ago by official Partizan account too, so not some spotty teenage kid who’s just mocked it up since we’ve been linked with him.

My Serbian isn’t exactly fluent, but what else could he be talking about?

How do people know he hasn’t already been to visit the ground under the radar? Or how do they know he’s not bouncing off the walls with the idea of coming here, is adamant about the move and has told his parents to come over to see how awesome SJP is?

It’s all just speculation, his agent has said the deals done; then his family arrives for a look around; then he’s left out of the anderlecht game (they’re all facts).

My guess is the visa is holding the deal up over the weekend.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Tsunki,
    The UK is far harder to get work permits for then a lot of mainland Europe. They were talking about making requirements stricter last year as well, so I think it would be more difficult. His international record and status as one f Europe’s most promising players shouldn’t make it too much of an issue though.

• Graeme

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Jib, My son found it and sent it to me – I cant claim the credit on that I’m afraid. He’s toon daft and Graduated from Newcastle Uni last week!!

• BandB

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:53 PM

With regard to McClaren.

The inescapable facts are that before McClaren was signed, all the polls showed that over 80 per cent of those that voted did not want him.

It is certainly a fact that most of these decided to get behind him when he was signed. Me included. But I am not a big enough hypocrite to claim he was my first choice.

There was also a movement on this blog to hail him as a genius and the best we could have got. Which was worth disputing.

None of this amounts to crapping all over him.

• Jib

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Actually you could see a young’un being affected by this

• nut meg

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM

scottoon
    1/ Abdennour
    2/ Glik

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Ron Knee,
    He has played in just under 3/4 in the last 2 years which used to be the required amount. However given his age, and his status he would easily get a permit, even if on appeal. I don’t see it being a worry.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:57 PM

RE Work Permit application, from a legal firm dealing with Football and law….

“In order to establish on an initial application that the player is an international player of the highest calibre the following criteria must be met:

A player must have player for his country in at least 75% of its competitive A team matches of which he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application

The player’s country must be at or above 70th place in the official FIFA world rankings when averaged over the two years preceding the date of the application

What is meant by a competitive A team international match?

A competitive A team international match is one of the following:

World Cup Finals game

World Cup Qualifying group game

Football Association confederation tournament game, for example:

The FIFA Confederations Cup

The UEFA European Championships and Qualifiers

The African Cup of Nations and Qualifiers

The Asia Nations Cup and Qualifiers

The CONCACAF Gold Cup

The CONCACAF The Copa Caribe

The CONMEBOL Copa America

The OFC Nations Cup and

The UNCAF Nations Cup

Who has to submit the application?

It is the responsibility of the club that wishes to sign a player to make an application for a work permit on behalf of that player. In most cases the club will have agreed a contract with the player with the final stumbling block being the work permit.

It is therefore the job of the club to provide written confirmation of the player’s international appearance record of the proceeding two years highlighting the competitive A matches.

This information should be obtained from the National Governing Body which that player represents and then provided to the UK Border Agency who will not be able to make a decision until this is provided.

What happens if a player has been injured?

If a player has been injured during this time period meaning that he has been unable to represent his country this will be taken into consideration when assessing the application. If this is the case the club will need to provide supporting evidence.

What happens if a player has not been granted a work permit?

If a football player does not fulfil the above criteria and has his application for a work permit turned down there is the possibility for a club to appeal the decision. This appeal will be heard by an independent panel and it will be the job of the panel to assess the following things:

To consider whether the player is of the highest calibre

To consider whether the player is able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK

It is often the case that when clubs sign young players who have not had the opportunity to play for their national side due to their age the work permit will be granted due to the ability and potential shown by that player in their fledgling career.”

• Jib

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM

BandB
    Polls in general should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Toon polls when there is no way of stopping scum supporters participating should be taken with 2lbs of best Saxa.

• Belfast

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Ian I have been telling my apprentice he needs new material for a while now.

Thanks for the praise though. I’m honoured that such a fine upstanding and popular member of the blog enjoys the act.

Keep her country !

• BandB

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Jib

You were encouraging people almost daily to vote in Dutch polls aimed at convincing Wijnaldum to come here.
    I can post them again, if you want.

• Jib

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Claudio Ranieri new Leicester manager !!!!!!

• Jib

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:02 PM

BandB
    You have just proven my point
    Thankyou

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:02 PM

He has played in 6 of their last 9 competitive matches and being on the bench for 1. He missed 1 as he was busy winning the Under 21 Euro’s with Serbia for the first time in their history, the final game he missed was through suspension.

No doubt at all he would qualify for a work permit in my opinion.

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Offkey, we have all been bitten enough. To be honest we shudnt even be supporting the club now given what we have been through. I just have a feeling Ashley is learning thats all. We are in a better position than before, no doubt about that in my mind. You cudnt make it up…I fully endorse and support the fans right to protest and i wud be on the streets with them if i lived there> i called for a full boycott of the televised Hull game years ago. But there are some peurile tossers on here who will moan for the sake of moaning. Yes we have a right to complain, but we also have a right to be optimistic. Believe me i wudnt be feeling better if we had kept carver and appointed some brit like Big Eck to be top man. I think Ashley in the past wud have done something like that, in the same way as he appointed Jiminez, Wise, and various other lunatics. I’d like to think he is learning,a nd Charnley and Carr know more about what will work for us. Dont worry I’m not turning into a Billson. Theres only one Billson !!

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM

If I thought I had to take scripting advice from Belfast I think I’d rather pose as Dennis Twice.

• 1892 TURPS

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM

On the subject of this US tour, do any of you fellers know where we can watch the matches? Are the games televised in America? Anyone have any ideas, cheers

• Ron Knee

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Lilongwe
    Thanks! Any idea how long it takes the Border Agency to deliberate?

• Mr Magpie

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Mitrovic for me every time….on cb’s i’d go Rudiger, Van Dijk pace power & can play out from the back.

• Tsunki

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Well I’ve said a few times I’m cautiously optimistic. But I’m also prudently realistic that’s all. We haven’t kicked a competition ball yet. We’ve still got Willo etc. We’ve made one signing possibly two. I’ll believe mike ashley is learning hopefully three months into the season. I’m not moaning, just voicing.

• optimistic prime

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Austin only scored a handful from open play and most were tap ins. Qpr played to his strengths yet watching you couldn’t tell.

He couldn’t impose himself on Colo or Willo which isn’t a endorsement of their prowess.

I wouldn’t say I’m being hard, I’m being realistic and not buying into pundits or papers opinions.

If I were a betting man I’d say Austin will end up at Sunderland, no one else wants him and they love paying ott for poor British players.

I’ll be disappointed if we sign him as he’s no improvement on what we have.

1 2 3 5