The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Les Ferdinand On Newcastle’s Efforts to Sign Austin

5:42 pm, Tuesday, July 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 175 Comments

There’s little doubt that Newcastle are interested in signing QPR’s 26 year-old striker Charlie Austin,  but the Magpies have still to make their first bid for the player who scored 18 Premier league goals in only 35 league appearances for the struggling QPR last season.

Director of Football Les Ferdinand – the former Newcastle striker – is wanting £15M for his player, but Newcastle seem unwilling to pay that amount, given that Charlie has just one year left on his contract and will become a free agent next summer.

charlie austin qpr

Charlie Austin – still no bid from Newcastle

Les has confirmed today that while Newcastle may have already talked  to Tony Fernandes about Austin,  no bid has yet come in for the striker from the Magpies.

This is what Ferdinand has said today:

“Newcastle might have enquired by speaking to the Chairman, but no bid has come in from Newcastle for Charlie.”

There are a number of clubs said to be after Austin, and they include Chelsea, Leicester, West Ham and Tottenham, in addition to Newcastle.

We’re not sure why Newcastle are not making a real move to try to sign Austin right now, and that usually starts with a decent first bid for the player.

But Leicester have already bid the £12M that Newcastle value Austin at – and that was immediately turned down – at least according to reports.

If Newcastle want to get Charlie on Tyneside,  we probably have to be willing to pay more than £12M – he’d be worth it.

Who Should Be Newcastle's Captain Next Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Pre-season · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

175 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Not seen much about him, but apparently his goal record isn’t up to much.

July 14, 2015

As much as i think the lad is a bit of a mercenary pillock,i would gladly do the job for him. He could give me a small cut of his signing on fee.

• 2 Reyantoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:48 PM

I hope we land Mitrovic with in the next two days.No other striker attracted me more than him.If it’s the fee,hope it is,then that’s good b/c we can agree somewhere 13m to 15m soon.
    If it’s the work permit for him or his family,that’ll be good too,im sure it will be worked out.
    If it’s something else,like Roma or porto contact his agent or his family,that is disappointing.
    But i think it is his father that hesitates to move to the north east.
    If Mitro is wanted by the likes of porto,Roma etc
    that shows he is a very good player.
    Moreover,most serbian players had good playing career in Italy, Germany,portugal.where as,not many here in England,so..

• 3 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM

The headlines regarding the scum will be

Long suffering Liverpool fans upset at stars departure.

Or something equally pathetic, that’s what happens when the media prefer you.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Have people already pointed out that Sterling will be playing in the same team as Silva? Sterling Silva? No? I’ll get me coat

• 5 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM

should we try to bring carrick back home now he’s got no chance of playing for Man U after LVG buying three new midfielders this week

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Seen a few “Pounds Stirling”

• 7 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM

For me Newcastle are playing this totally right.
    Try their best for Mitrovic and if it proves not to be then Austin will be a perfect plan B .
    Admirer that I am of Sir Les he should keep his mouth shut about stuff that happens behind closed doors – very unprofessional.

• 8 hibbit // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM

could be some troll trying to stir the sh#t and make trouble

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM

I dont think Charlie is worth more tha 12M. Id sign him for no more than 10,personally. That way,if he fails to score much, then we wont lose too much in moving him on. Hes only worth 15 because of his nationality.

• 10 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Considering yes available for free in the summer I’d wait until the last day of the window to get him or wait until Jan when you could get him for 5m. Personally he’s not an upgrade.on what we have and wouldn’t improve the starting line up. Cisse has a better goals to games played ratio and that was in a far more defensive team under pardew and carver.

Spend the money on an additional defender or 2

• 11 TudorCrisps // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Am not head over heels for Austin tbh, and I think if we did go in for him Cisse would have to be gone before hand to free up the number 9 shirt.

Berahino mean while…..

• 12 terencelim // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Ashley Out

• 13 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Is Guidetti still on a free?

• 14 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Our toon

Sure I read he’d signed for someone

• 15 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM

I’ll try it on the computer at work tomorrow!

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM

But does CA really deserve the No.9 shirt? I’d wait till the last min, as our toon says. He is a last resort imo. We should Pay attention to getting CBs and a different striker, finally grabbing Austin when QPR and him are desperately short of time to secure a move. Make the window work for us for a change.

• 17 tequilamag // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Don`t think Guidetti would play for us. I think Jesper upset him by telling him how much better Denmark is than Sweden.

• 18 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Guidettii signed for Celta Vigo at the weekend

• 19 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:16 PM

This site is saying that Girondins of Bordeaux have refused a £13million bid from Newcastle for the Uruguyan International Diego Rolan.

• 20 nut meg // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:17 PM

I’ll feel a lot better if we got the great big hole in the middle of our defence sorted out… know.. the one where other teams have CBs!

• 21 TudorCrisps // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM

I guess so, I don’t think he deserves the number 9 shirt I think that’s the main pulling factor in him maybe coming here tho, who ever we get in I just hope Perez still gets his chance.

Totally agree with you on the CBs mate but we just seem to keep being linked with midfielders where we are overloaded, looking forward to seeing Aarons again.

ad like to see Mitrovic and Perez on the same team sheet

• 22 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Sorry it is £13 million PLUS Remy Cabella for Rolan

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Ron…do that mate 🙂

• 24 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM

The story originates with Talk Sport, according to the article. And they’re surprised the offer was apparently turned down.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM

No worry Tequila ‘the Infamous Jail’ will be on shortly to back you up!

• 26 toon kk // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM

What’s the big hype with so many Newcastle fans wanting Austin?
    Is he really going to be the prolific goal scorer that people seem to think he’ll be? I didn’t think so. Is he a big upgrade? I don’t think so.
    Id far rather look elsewhere, im sure 12 to 15mil could be better spent.

• 27 tequilamag // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Infamy infamy, they all have it in for me.

• 28 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Any CONCRETE evidence to back that up Jesper ?

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Our Toon…has a point I think about Austin. If we get a prolific goal scorer maybe it would be wiser to wait til January to bid for Austin.

• 30 SA Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM

I think we’re spot on with the Mitrovich negotiations. I would love to see him at SJP, but it’s time to sh*t or get off the pot. If he’s not interested then fair enough, but we must then look elsewhere. Until now he’s had a free call and that’s no way to negotiate.

• 31 SA Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM

The articles I’ve seen are cash plus Cabella on a one year loan

• 32 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Think you and Jail need to end this little feud. Kiss and make up.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Belfast…it will present itself on its own!

…it’s like clockwork on here!

• 34 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Think it’s becoming obvious McClaren doesn’t fancy Cabella. Swapping him for the other French kid would be a stupid idea though.

• 35 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Not sure if you’re all familiar with the nufc tv YouTube channel but they have started a series called magpies 24/7, it’s all behind the scenes stuff and its very positive, I hope it continues into the season. This one features highlights from the Gateshead game. Aarons’s pace is unbelievable.

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Belfast…I don’t have time for I sorry!

…I will ignore him though!…him and his errand boys!

So…are there really no word from TFL?

• 37 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM

• 38 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Well until Toon from Leeds turns up you’re getting the blame basically. He’s in the beach house cellar. That’s the main line of inquiry.

• 39 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM

It’s a pity McClaren isn’t closer to home, rather than in the States. He could be putting some useful pressure on Charmless to do something positive.

• 40 tequilamag // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Wonder why he never took Vuckic. He has finally proved he can play half a season without needing a year off and did well by all accounts.Thought he would be at least be worth a run out in a couple of games.
    SM out

• 41 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:46 PM

I think he’s probably just recuperating he did have 3 operations after all.

• 42 Bambams // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:57 PM

I would love to see SDJ have a good run in the team. He looked class from the bits I saw of him .
    Lascelles is a decent size, hope he can adapt.
    Curtis Good needs to come on this season.
    Perez will be much better
    Cabella I am still concerned and not sure he will make it
    Young Aarons will hopefully play 20+ games and it’s him and Perez I want to tie to the club . They are both hungry and young.
    If we can have a decent season, not getting carried away but with four more top signings, keep players fit for more than five games and try for top 6/7. That will encourage most players to stay at the club and targets might be more willing.
    All in all (not getting carried away or silly) Steve and his coaches are far better than what we had last few years ( imo) and with a bit of luck.
    Could be fun to watch our club rather than leaving at half time to go back to the pub

• 43 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Thanks for clearing that up chaps with regards to Guidetti….Some interview he gave as well. Shame think he could have been a decent squad player and replacement for Riviere.

Toon KK completely agree regarding your sentiments to Austin or as my young nephew refers to him as 3:16….no idea why!!

On TFL I was asking about him yesterday, wonder if Ed could somehow send him am email or something to check up on the lad

• 44 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Tequila mag

Vuckic is piss poor mate, think I read somewhere he’s been told he’s surplus to requirements and rightly so. He did well for Rangers but the standard of football was on par with league 2 here

• 45 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Belfast…I’ll plea my innocence til he turns up (just don’t ask Ibiza if he’s hidding someone)

…he’ll crack like a nut!

• 46 tequilamag // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:06 PM

OT not sure I would say he is that bad, I agree he was playing at a poor standard but until we see him playing with the rest of our squad we can`t really judge how good or bad he is. He has never been fit enough till now.
    Maybe they think with his medical history he is always likely to break down.

• 47 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:07 PM

For anyone thats wondering….

USA fixtures:

Tue 14.07.2015 Club Atlas (Mexico) (n) 8pm
    No live TV transmission

Sat 18.07.2015 Sacramento Republic (a) 8pm
    Live on youtube online (like below). @ 4am BST Sun 19.07.

Tue 21.07.2015 Portland Timbers 2 (a) 7.30pm
    No live TV transmission

• 48 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM

SA Toon
    Did that link for the Gateshead game work on Friday ?

• 49 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:09 PM

• 50 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:11 PM

He went to Rotherham on loan and couldn’t get into the starting XI yet Tavernier did make it and they bought him. He also failed at Cardiff big time, when we bought Vuckic it was an excellent signing but injuries have wrecked the lad. I watched a few games he played for Rangers, he was decent but hardly the standout player in what was a shocking standard of football.

Vuckic is one of many who need to be shipped out, his best position is behind the striker, we have SDJ, Cabella, Wijinaldum, Sissoko even Marveaux and possibly Abeid & Perez who can all play there and ahead of him in the pecking order

• 51 welshgeordie9 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Good evening ladies, so i take that mitrovic is still thinking whether to join us or not, how hard can it be, yes i will join, no i will not join.

• 52 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Jib, there are no streams

• 53 Thump // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Hang on Belfast, I thought there was an unwritten rule that welshie got the blame for everything?

• 54 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Vuckic is now 22 I belive if not older, my personal preference would be to give Kemen more game time, he looks a real player if guided correctly

• 55 Bambams // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Our Toon
    I was thinking the same re TFL and if Ed could possibly email him.

I will email Ed and ask the question. He will most likely be just recovering

Will update you once Ed gets back to me

• 56 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:15 PM

It’s not as simple as you put it. A false move now could hamper hin for the rest of his career. Dare I say it’s a bit like you with your support for Swansea amd Newcastle….how hard can it be, pick 1!!

Just joking pal

• 57 scottoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Whether it is Mitrovic or Austin, or someone else for that matter is irrelevant. It is far more important that Charmless lands us two CBs as soon as possible. Pay over the odds, because decent defensive cover will pay for itself in league standings.

I agree with most that Abdennour is likely too much in demand, but that leaves Glik, Veltman, Otamendi, Van Dijk, Rudiger, Matip, N’koulou…..did I miss anyone? Any two from that list would be fine, thanks.

• 58 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

That would be perfect if you could mate. I’ve also tried the sites he used to send links for but they’ve not been updated for a while.

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Our Toon

Ouch that hurt.

Ha ha ha

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:19 PM

To be honest mate i couldn’t pick just one, i love them both.

• 61 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM

We can forget Abdennour & Otamendi, both way way out of our league especially Otamendi. Chelsea, Man Utd etc linked to hin and he already plays for money bags Valencia who finished in CL in Spain I think. Abdennour has said he only wants CL so we are left with the others!! Get 2 of them in, not seen much of Veltman so can’t comment on him, wouldn’t mind VVD of celtic though

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Just don’t ask me on match days who I want to win because I won’t answer.

Ha ha ha

• 63 tequilamag // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM

OT all about opinions I Suppose..I watched a lot of the Rangers games as well and think it is fair to judge him on his latest performances rather than a stops start injury ridden first few years. He mostly played wide right forward and scored most of his goals cutting inside something the alleged target Townsend fails to do week in week out.
    Regardless of our differences of opinion on him though it looks like he is on his way.Pretty sure he will get a championship club and hope he does well.

• 64 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM

I’m only messing mate ha ha. Some decisions in life aren’t as easy as yes or no though which is the point I was trying to make.

• 65 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Our toon

Stone cold Steve Austin 3:16

• 66 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Spot on buddy it is about opinions but I don’t see him as a wide man cutting in for us, the lad is very slow not mobile at all. He may have learnt something from his loan to Rangers but the fact he couldn’t make it at Rotherham or Cardiff tells it’s on story. I have a feeling Sammy will also struggle this year on his loan move, he also didn’t do well at boro

• 67 scottoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Our Toon….

Veltman looks to be very strong positionally, and brings the ball out well. Not the tallest (6′ even) but smart and aware. Would pair up nicely with one of the taller lads…..I like Rudiger myself.

• 68 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Just Google’d him….bold fella. Ahaha I might start calling him 3:16 as well thanks for that

I hope Vuckic finds his feet be it here or somewhere else the lads been so unlucky with injuries though.

• 69 SA Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Oh that’s right, you gave us that dud link. Doesn’t sound like we missed too much.

• 70 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Interesting, would be nice to have ball playing CB’s, make a change to the hoofball stuff. Veltman dutch? Could the core nucleus of the team be dutch?

Rudiger is promising, just wish we’d make moves for CB’s now though rather than wasting time….fearful Colo will worm his way into McClaren’s good books

• 71 tequilamag // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM

OT well a year playing week in week out for both of them will answer a few questions.

• 72 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I hope we get Mitrovic wrapped up asap.

Firstly, we seem to be targeting a centre forward before a centre half, so we need a centre forward in so we can move on to other key areas.

It is fairly laughable that we only seem capable of working on one deal at a time. Rudiger is the one I’d want out of those linked. Wouldn’t want Matip or N’Kolou. Don’t know much on Glik or Veltman though. I’m sceptical of Van Dijk, as he is hardly tested or stretched in Scotland so difficult to judge how good he actually is.

Secondly, if our new look coaching team can develop and progress players, A front 3 from Aarons, Perez, Mitrovic and Armstrong has great potential and could be very exciting a couple of years down the line.

• 73 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Our toon

I know who he is due to my nephew funnily enough. If you want a proper laugh he has a show called
    Redneck Island

Redneck version of big brother were all task revolve aroubd getting beer or Whisky. Car crash tv at it’s best.

• 74 scottoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Our Toon – Veltman is Dutch, so would form a nice spine with Krul and Gini, and Janmaat to his right. I agree that they ought to make their moves now on some of these lads. Schteve’s comments on Collo and the captaincy suggest that Collo is going nowhere fast when he ought to be put out to the San Lorenzo pastures as soon as possible. He no longer has what it takes.

• 75 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Redneck Island, sounds hilariously shocking….might check it out for a laugh. Kids are crazy….i dont want 3:16 though. Ahaha

• 76 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:38 PM

It is laughable isn’t it mate how we can only work on one deal. Now mitrovic has an apparent deadline work on bringing in a CB or 2!!

My backup to mitrovic would be Berahino…yes completely different to the others linked but he can play wide forward of a 3….i also think he is a natural finisher, a little defoe maybe but more to his game

• 77 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Interesting on Veltman, I suppose he’d blend into the squad well, I don’t want us going double dutch to quick though. Rudiger defo a strong candidate

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Our Toon,
    I’d quite like us to go after Berahinho even if we get Mitrovic. Mitrovic and Cisse can play as the central striker (Berahinho/Perez can too if required) with a combination of Berahinho, Perez, Aarons and a new winger/Cabella playing as inside forwards/wingers.

If they have offered terms, and aren’t budging then there is nothing more to do until he says yay or nay, although I think it is the two clubs at odds, rather than Mitrovic and Newcastle personally. Even so, can Moncur not do anything? What is the point of him being there? Surely Moncur and Carr can set the wheels in motion on a deal for a defender whilst Charnley finalises the Mitrovic deal.

• 79 scottoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:47 PM

OT I like your thoughts on Berahino. Pacey and clever, finds good space. He would certainly require us to play a different style than a traditional number nine but since we don’t really have anyone that can cross anyway, maybe that is a good thing.

• 80 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Despite crying out for 2 new CB I don’t envisage the club adding to what we have. Listening to SM’s comments he appears to be quite happy with what we have at the back. Personally I feel Collo will do well under his stewardship as will a lot of the squad. I think Saylors comments about the old regimes training methods being old school (run, run and more running) and player criticism killed team moral.

Let’s invest where it’s needed, 4 quality first team players and 2 younger squad players. And I would expect a top 8 finish at least.

• 81 Bambams // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:52 PM

I agree with most on here. How can we possibly get the players we need if it’s one signing at a time.

We desperately NEED not want Two CB’S, an attacking right winger, a proven striker and in my opinion a Beardsley type (SDJ ?) who can spot that pass or beat a couple in tight space.
    Cover for Janmaat. ….

Who am I kidding….

We can’t go into the season with colo/Willo.

At this rate we will be though

• 82 Bambams // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Colo and Willo are far too slow for prem, that’s just my opinion though.

It’s not surprising we concede so many. Need pace and height at the back.

Just can’t see us in anything more than bottom 8 if we do not strengthen our CB pairing

• 83 lochinvar // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Is Rolan a replacement for Cisse – like for like style player ?
    But younger so a better ” investment ” ?

• 84 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Berahino is class.. by the time he retires, he would have scored over 100 goals for good if not 150 in BPL.. plus he can play on the left wing too cutting inside. He would be the better choice instead of Austin if we do go for a second striker. The lad is young too!

• 85 scottoon // Jul 14, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Fog –

You say that you think the club will stand pat at centre half, and then you say that we should invest in four quality first team players. I cant understand how the two points you make can be reconciled, because it was desparately obvious throughout last year (at least) that our weakest position on the pitch was at CB. If Schteve cant see that, and the rest of his staff, then they are painfully unaware.

• 86 lesh // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Ed’s probably emailed Tfl by now – he’s on the case and said he’d update posters if need be or if he can.

• 87 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Lilongwe…would you rather we went Mitrovic and then Berahinho than Austin?

• 88 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM

*went for

• 89 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Mitrovic would be my number one choice. I wouldn’t want both Mitrovic and Austin, I’d prefer a second striker to be a more mobile forward, someone who can play as an inside forward.

McClaren prefers 433 or 4231, so you couldn’t play Austin, Mitrovic and Cisse in the same team. One of the three at most, so Mitrovic and Cisse are the options in that role for me. With Berahinho, Perez, Aarons providing some of the options for the width/inside forwards.

• 90 geordie157 // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Get the feeling satka will end up like kadar, lots of hype but not quite making it.

• 91 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Satka is one of a clutch of players that needs football, and should be shipped out on loan asap to a team that plays with a similar possession based philosophy to that of McClaren. Some should be heading abroad, others to the Championship/top of League 1.

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Lilongwe…I would like both Mitrovic and Berahinho but then I would move Cisse on.

Still think we need a modern winger with an end product!…and move Obertron on!

• 93 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Thump – you know that thing you said about it being an unwritten rule that welshie is to blame for everything? I’m afraid you’re totally wrong about that. 100% certain that you’re wrong.

it’s definitely written down somewhere. Just give me some time to do some searching…

• 94 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, I still want a winger in as well. Some genuine width in the squad would give us greater tactical flexibility and better options.

If Cisse was to go I’d probably want a third centre forward in. Essentially I don’t want us to be in a position that would mean Heardman and/or Arma have to stay around as cover or where we may have to rely on Riviere to get us goals.

• 95 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Well I get blamed for all sorts of things as well so it cannot be true…

• 96 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:18 PM

DISENGAGE THE OBERTRON! DISENGAGE! Just wondering if that would work…. nope still there.

• 97 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Lilongwe…I agree the younglings need to go out and get some proper game time!

…keeping them here just in case is a huge mistake we have made countless of times!

• 98 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:20 PM

No thump we’re blaming Jesper for this one. He’s got an untrustworthy face.

On Vuckic I watched him quite a lot at Rangers and he done very well. I was actually convinced he would end up there permanently. The Rangers fans really took to him, but he doesn’t fit into their new managers style of play in my opinion.

He’ll probably end up in the championship.

• 99 welshgeordie9 // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:20 PM

If it makes you feel better blame me for everything in the future.

Ha ha ha

• 100 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM

I think Austin should be signed later in the window no substantial bids have come in and although he’s only had one decent season (like Beattie, Christie, Holt, Lambert and Jelavic before him) he does look an instinctive finisher which sets him apart from the rest… Having said that we should push for Mitrovic now and sign Austin for cheaper later on in this window! The youth need to be loaned out rather than rotting on the bench or the reserves 10/15 minutes in each game isn’t going to do them any good and we need to start developing some decent players because our youth system is laughable to say the least!

• 101 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM

It doesn’t make me feel better. Still worth doing though. 🙂

• 102 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Vuckic is another one who has been badly developed. Rotherham and Cardiff were bad loan moves for him. He needed to be loaned abroad to develop, he was never going to slot straight in to a lower league team well.

• 103 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Well mitrebond is playing a dangerous game of brinkmanship, if they get their timing wrong, Roma will withdraw, the Belgians will soon be revolting and FattyCorp will say bah not at that price anymore, and he’ll end up stuck with the Flems for another year. Sorry. That did sound a bit Fattist.

• 104 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM

I reckon the only real losers in that scenario are Newcastle. Mitrovic will get his move this summer or the next, and will likely be way out of our reach if it is next summer, similar to Lacazette.

The best option for Mitrovic is probably Porto, a good next step for him to develop and an excellent shop window for the big clubs in Spain.

• 105 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:35 PM

When was the last time we had a good speedy / tricky winger who could actually cross , score or lay off to a striker on both wings In the same team??? Robert and Solano?

• 106 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM

We’re still in with a good chance with Serbian bloke I think. We did buy his mum and dad a bargain bucket and a magnum each.

That usually seals the deal for me.

• 107 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM

The dutch media are now saying that the Mitrovic transfer was never going to be resolved until the end of this week because Anderlechts general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck doesn’t get back from his summer vacation until tomorrow.
    Sheesh it’s getting longer than “War and Peace”

• 108 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:38 PM

I think our reputation has taken a battering so much that we might not get the striker we want this window

For me I personally would rather spend the money getting 2 centre backs and a quality left back so sort our defence right out !

It would instantly stop the heavy beatings we get and would give us a platform to beat the teams we should be beating comfortably because Cisse and Perez will still get goals as will Gini and De Jong !

Getting some quality wide men in as well would mean our full backs can focus on defending a bit more and not get exposed as much !

• 109 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Lilongwe, this must be his dilemma, which is the better route? it’s arguable that a good season in the PL is a pretty good showcase IF the team you are being showcased in is reasonably successful. Not so cut and dried going to Porto on what appears to be lower wages and a lower fee. Plus there’s his current clubs part in the offer process. Of course you’re correct about the proximity of Spain and how closely Portugal is viewed as almost a relative rather than a neighbour. I used to know a lad from the southern part of Spain who said most kids could not point to Portugal on a map at school because they thought the whole peninsula was Spain.

• 110 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:41 PM

If that is the case, then it makes it more likely that the deal is being held up by the two clubs, rather than Mitrovic, as I had previously suggested.

• 111 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Should have said Dutch and Belgian

• 112 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Interesting story in the Sun today about Cisse. I’m having trouble keeping up with the wife/girlfriend count lol

• 113 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Belfast it was the Vienetta that made the bargain bucket what it is today. The stuff of legend. And quadruple coronary bypasses.

• 114 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Harem, I believe they called it.

• 115 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM

It is nothing to do with proximity, it is a proven route of development. Not just to Spain, Porto is a great place for developing talent, and then allowing the player to get his big move. If I wasn’t a Newcastle fan, for the sake of the player I’d recommend him to go to Porto, as that is probably the best option for his career.

I don’t think Mitrovic is behind the hold up though, I think it is the two clubs having not agreed on the deal more than anything else.

• 116 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Try reading the blog for a change, both of your google exclusives were posted several hours earlier by another poster.

• 117 stestickle // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Just been looking at players contracts running out next year gouffran not one of them but it says he is on 55k a week surely not fecking hope not will never get rid of him

• 118 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:49 PM

You did say that
    The clubs attitude must be – well the team is away in the States so he might as well continue his fitness regime with Anderlecht and his folks can do a bit of house hunting.
    So perhaps we are being blindsided and Lee C is lining up CD’s as we speak.

• 119 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM

In all honesty look at the big money moves that players who have played for Porto have got and then look at ours…..

Yeah we sold Cabaye and Carroll thats it really under Ashley if Mitrovic does well for them he will be worth 30 or 40 million easy in 2 or 3 seasons time

He could come here and we could struggle to get him service and lose his confidence and then become a bit of a nuisance touting himself to better teams every window

With Porto he will be playing attacking football , winning titles and getting to the quarters at least of the Champions League

• 120 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Hmm lilongwe no I’m not being simplistic as in ‘ it’s handy for the bus’ 🙂 I think it’s pretty common knowledge that the ‘big four’ I think they call them (although atm one of them isn’t so big) are a famous route of progression, but that it’s helped by the fact that the Spanish leagues are more closely affiliated to the Portuguese leagues and makes the choice of Porto, Benfica, Sporting etc the de facto if your ambition is to play in Spain in short order, short, that is, of signing straight off with a Spanish club.

• 121 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Sky Sports linking us with Slimani according to a Leicester site. We were linked to him last summer, but nothing happened. I quite like him as a player, but he isn’t as good as Mitrovic, or with the potential. He would be a reasonable back up though.

• 122 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM

optimistic prime
    I do try to read the posts
    But when you get reams of irrelevant pap from the likes of G2 , Jesper , and not least your good self , it tends to make one skip a lot of stuff.

• 123 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Yeah, I know you weren’t saying that, but my point wasn’t in relation to the proximity, I know I mentioned Spain, but Porto players have got big moves to a number of different leagues. I should have just stuck with top club!

It was to do with a successful past track record of developing players for a big move after a few years. The Portuguese also offers a more gradual step up, I don’t think he would need it, but it will allow for development at a more relaxed pace.

Still, doesn’t look like Porto are prepared to stump up the cash, and I think a deal will be resolved between the two clubs so Mitrovic can finally put pen to paper on that contract he allegedly agreed (according to his agent) last week.

• 124 Average_Contents // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:59 PM

I vaguely remember us being linked with him last summer too.

Here’s the sky sports piece you mentioned. If anyone’s arsed like.

Sky sources understand four Premier League clubs have made enquiries about Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani.

West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom and Leicester are understood to be interested in the 27-year old Algeria international, who would cost in the region of £7m.

New Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri is thought to be keen on the player, while David Moyes’ Real Sociedad have also expressed an interest. However, sources close to the forward, who was close to a move to Swansea earlier this summer, say he has a strong desire to play in the Premier League.

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM

If LC is about to blindside us with centre halves and Mitrovic then I would be very pleased, seeing will be believing though!

• 126 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Cheers for that, I saw it on some Leicester blog. Can’t see it being true for us, I imagine it is just the media linking us with a centre forward as that seems to be the clubs priority at the moment.

• 127 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Funny it wasn’t from any of the posters you mentioned. It just Makes you look the tit you are.

Speaking of irrelevant pap, your next monicur should be Roger irrelevant.

• 128 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:20 PM

If you read my post I said we’re crying out for two new CB, however I fear SM is happy with the back line (not me) and therefore I suspect he will not add to it. As I said we need at lest 4 new quality first team players including 2 CB.

However I do believe Collo will be a different player this season under SM (not necessarily good enough for us tho).

Hope that makes it clearer.

• 129 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Islam Slimani is a new name we have been linked with

• 130 firebug666 // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Still no sign of any signings then.

• 131 north east lincs toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Are any of the friendliest live on TV?

• 132 Munster Mag // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM

I wonder if we could play three at the back with Colo as a sweeper. he would be class at that, although the system became outdated when “holding midfielders” became all the rage .

• 133 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM

“Funny it wasn’t from any of the posters you mentioned.”

What on earth are you babbling about ?

• 134 Average_Contents // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:38 PM

The club’s priority? Lmfco mate. Our first signing of the summer is a midfielder (which we have in abundance atm) maybe the press are linking us with strikers because that’s what they think we need. It’s what we all think we need ( that and CB’s obviously 😉 but the club have decided thus far to not sign anyone for striker/cb. We have 4 of each plus youngsters coming through. Regardless of their ability that’s what the beancounters see.

Priority is and always will be – how much profit can we make on him after x amount of years, not does he improve the team as a whole, hence another addition to the midfield department.

That’s not aimed at you by the way just at how I see the club.

• 135 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:41 PM

I see Otamendi is off to man utd, cracking signing. Just goes to show how slow we are in negotiations. In the time we’ve bought Wijnaldum they’ve managed to sign Schniderlin, Bastian and Otamendi

• 136 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Interesting, it explains why Danish people are so backward and socially inept !

• 137 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:47 PM

I see you’re as good as Charnley at keeping up.

• 138 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Zzz zzz! Did you spend your evening looking that up! Good for you!

…priceless 😀

• 139 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Denmark is frequently ranked as one of the happiest countries in the world in cross-national studies of happiness.

Yep and we get the grumpy one.

• 140 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Our Toon…Otamendi was a player I really wanted!

• 141 toon kk // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Our toon @134
    There’s a lot of total lack of know how and organisation within our club.
    Also there’s still a regime going on behind the scenes, future resale will always be in mind.
    Also as far as players go, are we a prosperous option, we’ve just escaped relegation and not too mention all the turmoil between MA and fans.

• 142 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Belfast…don’t humor him! He’s just going to linger (it was so nice for once)

• 143 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Our Toon…is a fee mentioned?

• 144 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:57 PM

The pendulum mood swings of Toon fans is truly a wonder to behold.

• 145 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 9:57 PM

Fist fight in the blog car park is the only way to straighten this out Jesper

• 146 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Belfast…you are always there to start the fun!

…reliable as always! You are not used to hear that back home are you 😉

• 147 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Belfast I’ll hold yer jacket
    (just leave your wallet and car keys in the pockets they’ll be OK)

• 148 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM

4 hours to KO

• 149 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Gæt å sænsæ øf hümöür mäñ !!!

• 150 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Think it’s around 25 or 26m not sure yet

Toon KK

For me nothing seems to have changed, we still have no official word that a fee has been agreed for mitrovic, apparently he’s agreed the 5 year deal so who telling who porkies then? I hope we aren’t hiding behind this new mantra of “the right players” quality players don’t take 6 weeks to sign.

• 151 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Well at least you won’t hear Man United fans complaining about Man City and Chelsea buying success again.

They’ll still have pre Abramovich amnesia though when they bought success regularly.

• 152 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Southampton sold Schneiderlin last night and today they’ve apparently agreed a fee of 12m for Jordy Clasie subject to a medical. That’s what you call being efficient. We meanwhile apparently wait for mitrovic but can conclude other deals!!

• 153 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I’m a lover not a fighter

• 154 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM

People accused us of buying success in the 90’s, how fußking wrong they were !

• 155 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Jail the inept one…you’re like a broken record!

Wigi is huge place to get lost…go have some more fun!

Our Toon…I heard from someone on here we were interested, but I have my reservations 🙂 lol

• 156 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:16 PM

…and seeing as we only bid for one player at the time I don’t think we’re going trouble anyone for a while!

• 157 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Our Toon
    What you are saying is Soton had to sell a player before they could buy but we bought Wijnaldum without having to sell ??????
    How does that make them more efficient ?????

• 158 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:18 PM

We might have been interested but the fee and his ability is far to good to even be here, the lads far to good. We seem to be a little giddy after Wijnaldum deal, it’s like throwing a biscuit to someone who hasn’t had anything for long time. Now we’ve got a taste we want more but all we have is the remaining crumbs and the hope!!

• 159 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Damien Duff has signed for Shamrock Rovers lol

• 160 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Our Toon…in so many ways nothing has really changed at our club…

…it’s the same excuses and the same mistakes! Maybe even lies…

• 161 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM

So are there links for tonight’s game because I don’t really want to stay up till 2 AM to read commentary! :/

• 162 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:21 PM

They didn’t have to sell a player before they bought someone, they sold Schneiderlin and have replaced him within 24 hours with someone who is just as good if not better. We still haven’t replaced Demba Ba or Andy Carroll, just got Cabaye’s replacement in Wijinaldum and still have the same central defenders we got relegated with!!

• 163 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Jeff…it’s easy to misunderstand something if one really wants to, right?

• 164 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM

We really should follow the Southampton model, yes they sell plenty but they bring in players just as good

• 165 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Agent says Georginio Wijnaldum rejected AC Milan to join Newcastle United

• 166 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Where is wi?i, I’ll håppily het løst there !

• 167 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:26 PM

I’d hoped we’d turned a corner bit the lack of movement or even the urgency to get a CB is truly shocking, 1 thing at a time with this lot. We’ve all been crying out for new CB’s for 8 transfer windows, we ship almost 60 goals every season.

I just feel if we were serious about turning the corner then defence would have been the 1st thing we looked at and said if we want success then we need the foundations.

• 168 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Mitrovic and Austin are red herrings…we’re no way interested in either of them…all the effort is elsewhere but ashley wants us to believe he’s chasing the big names.

we’ve got the purple to help attract others…now it’s all about off the radar cheap foreign sh!te whilst making it look like we’re after top names we couldn’t quite get over the line

• 169 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Åh hvad sjovt det er på denne blog

• 170 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM

King Colback

I’m pretty sure money had alot to do with that. AC Milan have fallen so far from the top it’s unbelievable, they didn’t even finish in the top 10 of that league I think which is a shoddy effort. New manager in Mihilavoic (wrong spelling) was a nut job as a player not sure how he’ll do as manager. Sunderland and AC Milan or Newcastle hmm!!

• 171 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Dare we say….We have the purple to bring back the sales of season tickets? I know a few people who have signed up based on the notion we are looking to deliver on promises with 1 signing. Why have Anderlecht not come out and said we’ve agreed a fee with NUFC or vice versa why have we not?

Personally I don’t think we have agreed a fee, they want 18m euros and we’ve offered 16.7m euros last I checked or last thing that was reported!!

• 172 lochinvar // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Damien Duff has signed for Shamrock Rovers……what a missed opportunity !

• 173 Mr Magpie // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Hearing different reports that Anderlecht want Mitrovic situation sorted by Sunday & that Roma appear to be far more interested in signing Dzeko. So with our 48 hour deadline also in place hopefully that leads to Mitrovic arriving tomorrow for a medical.

• 174 King Colback // Jul 14, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Our Toon
    I didn’t know AC were that bad, crikey

• 175 davis_toons // Jul 15, 2015 at 7:04 AM

Dnt waste that last 15mil now.

He will prove himself if he is good next season and we will go in with a big wages packages.

previous post: Roma’s Failure Means Mitrovic Could Now Reject Newcastle