The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Tight Lipped On Mitrovic And Austin

8:12 am, Tuesday, July 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

We expect that Aleksandar Mitrovic’s family are no longer in Newcastle, having been shown around St. James Park and the training fields recently, in an attempt to persuade his father that Mitrovic should sign for Newcastle – but no real news on what has happened after that, or if the 20 year-old is closer to signing for Newcastle.

aleksandat mitrovic training anderlecht

Aleksandar Mitrovic – McClaren a bit coy

Newcastle are said to be back in for Charlie Austin too, so its difficult to know what exactly is going on right now.

Steve McClaren on the American tour didn’t say too much when asked yesterday what the situation was with both Mitrovic and Charlie Austin and whether there was any new transfer information:

“No. The only one was Wijnaldum at the weekend.¨ “There’s no news of yet because of the time difference.¨

“We get up, train, have lunch then have meetings.” “I think there are many players I admire and would like to come to Newcastle.¨

“As always when a player comes in and gets through the door, we’ll talk about them a lot more.”

Milwaukee is on central time in the US,  which is one hour behind eastern time and 6 hours behind UK time – and then when the lads move to California and Oregon it’s 8 hours behind UK time – so in the wee hours of the morning is when the games kick off.

It looks like Lee Charnley and company are still trying hard to bring in at least a couple of players,after the great success of getting Georginio Wijnaldum through the door, but it’s not surprising that Steve is not saying too much about what’s going on.

It looks like Newcastle are the only club who have had an offer accepted by Anderlecht for Mitrovic, but Porto still want him.

With Charlie Austin, we are supposed to be balking at the £15M being asked and are only willing to pay £12M for the Hungerford-born player.

Three weeks come this weekend is when the Premier League opens up again, and hopefully we can have a couple of new players in by then.

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Replied to everyone on previous thread.

• 3 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM

I think Ed has just answered my question.

• 4 hibbit // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:18 AM

why can we not have both………. austin would hit the ground running which would give mitrovic time to settle plus we perez and rivi …….i think cisse will gone……….for me the biggest problem is the back four

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:17 AM

The fact that clubs are humming and barring would suggest that none of them are quite certain that he guarantees goals. If he did it for another 2 years, then he would be in a prime position for a move to a top club.

Van Persie went to Man U for £31million as a 28/9year old. In 8 years at Arsenal he scored more than 10 Prem goals just 4 times and over 20 just once (11, 11, 18, 30). Austin got 18 last year, if he replicated that over the next 2 years he would be worth a lot as a 27 years old hitting what is generally considered a strikers peak years.

I’m not comparing the quality of the 2, more the fact that the big clubs don’t care if they are splashing out for an older player if he is doing the business. In 2 years Chelsea could be looking for a Costa replacement, if Austin did well, who knows….

• 6 Slank // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:18 AM

I do like the way McClaren engages reporters.

He appears to keep it simple, straight and sensible and doesn’t have that obvious arrogance that Pardew irritatingly had.

• 7 beermonkey // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM

why aren’t there any links to some decent talented defenders

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Wouldn’t want both Ausitn and Mitrovic. One or the other plus a more mobile centre forward who could play off them in one of the wide forward roles if McClaren goes for his 433/4231 formation.

Definitely want a goalscoring wide man. Sissoko can leave for me if we did go out and get one. I’d love to see us go and get Bolasie, but can’t see it happening, so I’d try and get Phillips of QPR. Shaqiri would be great, as well, but I’d imagine wages to be a stumbling block with him.

None of my post was an attempt to label you a bigot, although I’d happily lay several accusations at the Sun and the journo who wrote the article. I saw the reply from Sack Lambias, but didn’t feel it merited wasting my time in a response. Absolutely no need for the insult flung your way.

• 9 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:24 AM

You’re right. Let’s hope they’re doing something to sort out our defence.

• 10 Slank // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:26 AM

I really don’t think we can realistically compare Austin to Mitrovic with regard to who would be more effective for us.

Both played in different teams, in different leagues, with different players around them and probably different formations and style of play.

I’m sure both could do well for us but I doubt we could get both as that would mean one of them is not the main man and probably not accept it.

• 11 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Clever man doesnt want to put our hopes up.

• 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM

It won’t be long before the usual suspects comes and say “just pay the money”!

Gotta be fun to be so lazy faire with other peoples money.

So any news so far on the transfer front? Someone mentioned last night whether we only bid on one player at the time (wouldn’t surprise me)

• 13 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 8:30 AM