The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Roma’s Failure Means Mitrovic Could Now Reject Newcastle

1:57 pm, Tuesday, July 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 184 Comments

There are various reports that Roma’s bid for Edin Dzeko the Manchester City striker has been turned down,  and that could mean the Italian club could turn to 20 year-old Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic – if they cannot get a decent deal for the Bosnian striker.

The Italian press is reporting Manchester City want really big money for the 29 year-old striker, whose current deal still has three years to run.

aleksandar mitrovic in pink

Aleksandar Mitrovic – could turn down Newcastle

The news is Roma want to take the striker on loan for the season, with an option to buy for €15M (£10.6M)- but City are reported to want as much as €28M (£19.6M) for the accomplished striker.

With Raheem Sterling reportedly taking his medical in Manchester today, the acquisition of the Englishman could mean that City are more willing to allow Dzeko to leave, but they want as much as they can for him.

The fee of £49M (yes, UK pounds) for Raheem seems massive and more than the Liverpool winger is worth.

Tuttomercatoweb are claiming that City will ¨help¨ Roma by allowing the payment of €28M over two years with €21M (£14.7M) required up front – that’s good of them.

Roma always wanted Dzeko as their first choice, and the fact they are having difficult getting him could persuade Mitrovic that Roma could still come back in for him.

Since Newcastle have given the 20 year-old Serbian striker only 48 hours to either accept or turn down the Newcastle offer, that may lead to him saying no to Newcastle.

Roma’s pursuit of Dzeko may not be over, but it’s unlikely to be over in just two days – so Aleksandar could even turn down Newcastle hoping that Roma come in for him, and then Roma could still sign Dzeko – but that’s the chance he would be taking.

It would have been better news if Roma had just announced they had signed Dzeko,  and that may have persuaded Mitrovic to accept Newcastle’s very good five year deal, which is on the table.

This is one reason the Mitrovic family have been playing for time, and Aleksandar has also claimed that Roma bid for him 10 days ago, although Porto would also be acceptable to the 20 year-old Serbian International.

This is what he said back on July 5th:

“I have received an offer from Roma. I still do not know if I will accept it because I have to decide together with my agent what the best solution is for my career. Soon, you will know my destination.

“Aside from the offer from Roma, there is strong interest from Benfica and Porto. Before all else, it will be important for me to feel good in the country and in the new team that I choose; then, playing time certainly matters.”

Certainly in Italy the sun always shines. I was fine in Belgium, but it’s time to go elsewhere and have different experiences. Roma? It is a strong team, a very good one. I know Rudi Garcia well, he is a great coach.”

We will know shortly if Newcastle United are acceptable to Mitrovic.

184 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Ashley out!!

• 2 nightfa11 // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM

if he cant decide, then so be it..

id forget about him and go for berahino + carroll..

i honestly think berahino should be our primary target..young, quality “not so expensive” english international with great attitude.. can play as a main striker, on the wing, etc.. perez and berahino up front…2 quality guys with great attitude..strikerforce for the next 10 years..

• 3 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Anyone think Diaby on a free from Arsenal might be good shout??

• 4 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM

This is confusing. Has no one figured out what time were playing at yet? I thought we are 6 hours ahead and we should be playing at 2 pm? But nothing has been said so I take it it’s the others way around and we’re playing 2am?

• 5 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Yeah I take it were 6 hours ahead and playing 2am .

• 6 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Kevy

Yeah kick off is 2am UK time.

I realise the tour is to raise profile in the US, but you’d think they’d play the game 3pm or 4pm so that it is 9pm or 10pm here.

• 7 expatmag // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Time to move on.

He has had since friday to sign. Clearly, he doesnt want to be here so let him gamble Roma will come in for him.

J have a feeling he would regret it.

• 8 expatmag // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Nightfall

Unfortunately, if Berahino were to leave WBA, bigger fish than us would be circling him.

• 9 jazzyp // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Groundhog day again. Remember Remy ??

• 10 JAMSHA // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM

just put a bid for austin atleast..if mictrovic rejects we can get austin,if micktrovic signs call austin deal off unless we offload cisse

• 11 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Looks like we will have 2 go for austin now. He’s the closest thing to Mitrovic. 6 foot 2, strong, holds da ball up, brings others into play, & can score goals.

• 12 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Roma might not value him in the way we do

• 13 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:24 PM

He won’t regret anything, if he doesn’t move this summer he’ll go to someone bigger next summer. We are a small fish unfortunately and it’s thanks to MA and previous circus esc acts which have derailed season after season!!

If I was him I’d still support us but realise it’s not a good career move

• 14 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM

The Roma deal is going to stall till the last day

• 15 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Our toon

Is it true he supports us?? Doubt that, he would have already signed if he liked us that much

• 16 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Come man Austin!! His wife says she wants to remain in London, do you want to waste another week on him? He’s not even worth 15m considering he has 1 year left to run on his contract

• 17 nightfa11 // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Expatmag

I know..But worth a try..

Strikeforce of carroll, berahino,perez + armstrong could just be the best in the league.. And for about 25 mio..and if we sell cisse,rivi, goufrann..Our cost would be aprox 10 mio.. (+ 5 Mio signing on fee)

• 18 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM

We have always been small ever since the Sir Bobby left. We started buying mercenaries. People coming for their last cheque or club rejects. Owen, Kluviet, Duff etc….

• 19 JAMSHA // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:29 PM

fkn atleast bring in some CB or LB Untill the deal has stalled …why dafq are we waitng till last day,,bloody fat man is back with his tatics spend on gini 14mil,, an now fool us again an wait for winter transfer

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:31 PM

I understand the family getting involved. He’s only 20. However, i think they a messing about too much. Roma set a deadline for signing Mitrovic the same as we did. I suspect the Mitro-clan were wanting a better deal,even though Roma also wanted Dzeko. My theory is :- I think had mitrovic gone to Roma the first time, they still would have tried for Dzeko. What a partnership that would have been!!

Basically, i think Mitrovic and his family need to stop faffing around, it’s going to knack his career before it truely takes off imo.

Hope this makes sense

• 21 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Shadow

Just because someone supports us doesn’t mean they automatically sign for us. Are we a good career move? Going over the entire Ashley regime I don’t think we are a good career move.

If he comes here he plays in a better league but how will we do? We’ve signed 1 player and almost got relegated last season

If he stays at Anderlecht he’ll be challanging for a title and be playing CL in an inferior league. Chances are next summer he gets a bigger move than Porto or Roma. He’s 20 years old time is on his side

• 22 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM

We will sign players. Mcclaren is so confident.

• 23 nut meg // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Diego Rolan

• 24 Munster Mag // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Our toon that makes sense sadly

• 25 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Jamsha

As you say at least buy a CB, why are we delaying making signings in defence which is our biggest weakness? Can we not multitask?

Buy some defenders show the better players we want that we are serious about moving forward rather than giving it the talk

• 26 Sammmy // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

If he doesn’t want to come then we shouldn’t try and sign him. I want the team to be full of players who want to actually play for the shirt.

• 27 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Interesting if true the way its going we might not get a striker this window

But this should not be holding up the other players we need !! We should be signing defenders and a quality left winger so if worst case scenario the rest of the team functions well and we still have Cisse and Perez who will score goals with good service !!

• 28 Munster Mag // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Agree with uvudntmakeit up

• 29 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Our Toon

It always doesnt work that way. Inler remained at Udinese no one came back for him.

• 30 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

nut meg@23
    Pity!

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Jæspår,
    I hope you dont think that crappy link you posted after Googling how to pronounce Wijnaldum explained anything. I posted a link with real Dutch people saying his name, they did not pronounce it correctly solely for my benefit.

• 32 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Munster

I just sense undertones of Anelka and his brother. Anelka always got called le strop, but it was his agent-brother that caused all the fuss,apparently.

• 33 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Munster

I’m quite annoyed as all we’ve done is talk about this for 2 weeks, yet the central defenders are the same ones which got us relegated!!

The domestic window has been open since 9th June, the European window has been open since July 1st. Are we only able to do 1 thing at 1 time?

• 34 Mr Magpie // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Rumours coming out that West Ham have bid 9m for Javier Hernandez Hernandez. If so are they also going to go after Austin too…not looking good for Andy Carroll under Bilic!

• 35 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Afternoon guys!! 😀

If Austin was playing for us last season and he banged in 18 goals, I’m pretty sure we would all be agreeing that he is worth £15million+.

I agree with people saying that we should sign Shaqiri, has great potential and looks classy. Would rather we spent £16million on him then £10million on Townsend which Spurs would definitely turn down if true.

• 36 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Will die for toon

Problem with Inler is thay he never replicated that same form. If you haven’t seen this lad play then you will not understand just how good he is for his age. He has all the hallmarks of ending up at a massive club in 5 years….maybe even an Ath Madrid. Inler was good in a good udinese team

• 37 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:44 PM

It seems cabella wants to go back to France or its jst paper talk coz I dont think Mcclaren can let Cabella go

• 38 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Ok, these pre-season games need to hurry up. I see people are arguing over how to pronounce ones name, does it really matter? There are terrible things happening across the world yet people are bickering over the pronunciation of a name? Have some perspective guys.

We really need something new to talk about, pointless arguments everywhere.

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Lining strikers up in an orderly fashion and dealing one at a time is one thing. And probably ok if we are only after one….however…. there is no reason why we couldnt be also going after the 2 cbs we need.

I agree with our toon….why cant we do more than one thing at a time. Our CB budget should be seperate to our striker budget!

• 40 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Our Toon

We have some good players turn so bad our own Cisse Cheik Robinho etc. There is also getting injured

• 41 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Young Magpie

He might of scored 18 goals but his team still got relegated amd he has 1 year left on hos contract and he’ll go for free. Darren Bent once scored 20 plus goals for Charlton who got relegated spurs payed big money for him and he couldn’t make the step up.

It says alot about Charlie Austin and his all round game that no one has bid the 15m for him, have the scouts of these teams seen something that the rest haven’t? We playing upfront by himself he wasn’t very good, he needed Zamora with him big time

He played against us up here and was completely nullified his movement was shite, granted he scored 18 goals but why is no one willing to pay 15m?

• 42 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Has nobody noticed in the Rolan story that we’ve offered cash plus Cabella on a years loan to them?

Made up story off the back of Thauvin speculation and Mitrovich deal supposdley stalling.

2+2=5… Poor journalisim

The same journalists missed the Cabella injured for the start of the season stories also.

I said Sunday Mitrovich would sign tomorrow and I’ll stand by my prediction.

If his dad had came to visit then stated they were waiting for a better id expect even Charnley would pull the plug.

I’d hope he would.

• 43 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Waiting for a better deal

• 44 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Will die for toon

I’d be happy to let Cabella go for a good fee.

• 45 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Our Toon

We had this discussion last night, and to be honest, I agree with you. The professional scouts obviously don’t see the potential… What’s to argue?

I was just saying that if Austin was playing for us last season then we would be saying he was worth £15million.

• 46 nut meg // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Ron
    It didn’t give me any joy to post it because I knew you’d be disappointed , sorry to be the bearer of bad news.Now is the time to shore the back line up,get the CBs sorted so we can stop the goals from flying in our end. ASAP!

• 47 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM

YCMIU

It’s shocking buddy but as you say we should have a different budget and should be signing CB’s

• 48 Obertoe // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM

• 49 rwpoynter // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:55 PM

I personally feel that Mitrovic’s agent is playing the field to get himself a bigger fee. I don’t think he really wants to come here if other fair weather clubs will go for him. So we will end up with another journeyman if we are the only one who will stump up the fee.If Mrs Austin doesn’t want to leave Wiltshire, then sooner or later Charlie’s career is going to be restricted to the London Premier clubs (most of which don’t seem interested anyway) or Southampton or Bournemouth. If you marry a footballer you need to go where the opportunities are and if this means Juventus or Real Madrid then that is what it’s all about. Wijnaldum at least seems to want to be here and if my experience of Geordie folk is anything to go by ( my Dad was one) they are lovely people.
    For all the criticism that has been heaped upon him, Mike Ashley seems to have turned a corner. He has always been a good businessman and has made the club profitable again. He has stepped back and has said this is how much money you can spend ( which as owner is his right) and has appointed people in 3 out of 4 cases to deal with this, who know something about football. To me , and I will judge in time, things seem to be on the mend.

• 50 Obertoe // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Mitrovic is training today (open training session) with anderlecht. He probably wont come. I dont think he was the right player for us anyway. His attitude en professionalism was often critised in the belgian press. Having still not signed after all the hassle says enough. Get someone who wants to play for us!!

• 51 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Diego Rolan?

Doesn’t exactly fill you with excitement does it? Reminds me of Gouffran, just way more expensive.

Bas Dost stories have stalled, quite gutted about that. I still think we should loan LDJ again, doubt he would be up for that though.

• 52 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Young Magpie

If Austin was playing for us last season he wouldn’t have scored in double figures. Firstly we very rarely get pens so take 4 off his tally immediately. He scored a few from corners or headers his team mates won so take them off as well because our corners and set pieces were god awful.

We didn’t have a Zamora type of person for him to feed off either, I honestly think he’d have struggled to get into double figures. QPR fans don’t seem to rate him as highly as some of our fans do. I’d rather we go after Berahino

• 53 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Our toon

On cabella…. i think (imo) he is on a list of players who need to perform consistantly better under SM. Likes of him, sissoko, riviere(doubt it) and a few others can’t use poor coaching as an excuse now. I’d want marked improvement by late november, otherwise they would be on the out list for January.

• 54 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I prefer to think the papers are guessing.

Thauvin Rolan etc, we maybe in contact with their clubs but who’s to say it’s those players were looking at?

Any decent Cb’s at their clubs?

• 55 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM

YMFB

I’m not keen on Rolando either, Bas Dost is another I’m not keen on, seen alot of him and he’s….well not what we’d want

• 56 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Rolan not Rolando

• 57 hibbit // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:01 PM

our toon……… if we don’t sort our back 4 out we could be relegated …… can charnley not multi task get the back 4 sorted

• 58 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Our Toon

Look mate, I agree with what you are saying, he probably wouldn’t have.

I meant say, hypothetically, he scored 18 goals for us last season. Wouldn’t you believe he was worth £15million? That’s all I’m saying mate. Realistically I agree with you. Got that? 🙂

• 59 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM

YCMIU

I just don’t see where Cabella fits in now though, I hope he steps it up bit pre season is so important, he’s already out with a thigh injury so we won’t know if he’s learned when to pass and to never try them daft stepovers

• 60 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Hibbit

I get the feeling that Charnley can’t put his socks on and watch tv at the same time! 😀

• 61 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM

People are taking this Mitrovic transfer far to personally I’ve seen people posting that interview about him supporting Newcastle and now to he doesn’t want to play for us

He wants the best for his career and wants to play in the CL, if we can get him great if he goes elsewhere good luck to him

The only thing we offer him is a stage to get a move to a CL club anyway so he’s just aiming to cut out the middle man

• 62 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM

YMFB

If he scored 18 goals for us I’d say he’d be worth 15m.

However if you take into account he’s only got 1 year left on his contract and let’s say we were QPR and got relegated we’d know we wouldn’t get 15m for him and would accept 10m

• 63 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:08 PM

WWSBRD

Spot on mate. I’ve read a lot of “we only want those who want to wear the shirt and be here” well I think if we asked the players that we wouldn’t have an XI to pick from

• 64 hibbit // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:08 PM

all these players people list to sell / get rid of …..you have to find a buyer which is easier said then done

• 65 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Mclaren has stated Colicini will stay as captain and has a future at NUFC

That’s all my optimisim gone.

What a joke!

• 66 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM

WWSBRD

I agree, my problem isn’t with Mitrovic himself, it’s with the way we seem to be handling it. In addition, it looks as though the club are content with the time that this particular transfer is taking when realistically it is wasting valuable time in the window. Obviously I can’t see what is going on behind close doors, however I can judge it on past experiences, which tell me that no other transfers are taking place while this one is still active. What I would hope is that the club are pursuing defensive targets whilst all the media is exposing the transfer of Mitrovic, how likely is that? Null.

• 67 hibbit // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM

our toon they will ask 15m till the last day of the window knowing that there would be a rush of club if they drop there price but hoping they can get close to 15m

• 68 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Our toon

Now that we are supposedly going to look after the ball when we have it,maybe he will find it easier to make the right decisions. I suppose, if you are a dribbler, it might be a little frustrating and confusing to have to boot the ball away. He might have been thinking “sod it, i am keeping it”. Obviously if the team are expecting him to get rid, they wont be set up to cope, and hence Cabella ends up in a stupid dead end,partly of his own making with the pointless step overs, and partly because the set up was w@nk!

• 69 davis_toons // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Charlie Austin ..1 season wonder…?
    Let wait for next season..good players will prove themselves..Alan Shearer does that…Rooney does it as well even thou these days he is more of a Midfielder..

• 70 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM

OP

He might change his mind after 3 freindlies. Hold on to hope, my freind….. theres always a chance Colo himself could have a late-career wonder-season 😀

• 71 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Our Toon

Perhaps we would sell him for £10million due to the 1 remaining year on his contract, however, with Ashley you know what he is like with valuing our players. He would probably put him up for £18million. But that’s beside the point, I can see where QPR get there value for Charlie. I don’t think they will lower it either, which is why I hope we don’t pursue him further.

We have wasted too much time on Austin and Mitrovic, we are obviously having a tough time with forwards so why not switch our attention to defenders? And get back to forwards afterwards? Seems logical to me, which is why I doubt this would happen.

• 72 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Davis

Thats true, but do we want to be the ones stuck with Austin if he proves to be a dud?

• 73 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Our Toon
    Not from the current crop certainly…can’t think of 1 who would be here if it was purely down to wanting to play for the club

YoungMagpie
    If Mitrovic falls through it will have no standing on us bringing in CBs mate. As for the time taking visas, family and his want to play CL are holding it up but at least it’s early enough in the window to be dealt with

• 74 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM

YCMIU

Very true mate we will have to wait amd see what changes if any he does make. I hope it works out for him but he needs to graft hard from here on in

• 75 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM

nut meg
    Fortunately, I was sitting down when I read your post!
    You’re absolutely right: we must clear out the dross in our defence and get in better players. Priority no. 1 for me!

• 76 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Davis toon

If he was such a good player teams would be lining up to pay 15m for him. No one said he’s a 1 season wonder though except for you. If he wants to prove it he needs to be in the prem, at the minute he’s playing championship football so will prove nothing next season

• 77 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Ycmiu

He should have been banned from the USA trip for impersonating a footballer.

I see Colo In the same light I saw Pardew and Carver, he should be removed from the club like they were. A cancer on the squad and team.

Pay the clown off as it’s no longer funny.

• 78 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM

I always think we should sell the striker role differently. Everyone knows we want one, we should be saying “Who wants a challenge, come and be a hero. Get us some goals and be the next NUFC legend”. A dedicated striker who wants to make a name for themselves would be ideal.

• 79 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Interesting to see Cabella is out the door after an average season whereas Anita is promoted to starter after 1 good game against a team on the beach with a manager who knew he was done with the club and couldn’t care less about the result

Funny world this football one

• 80 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Does Austin provide us with something we don’t already have? Is his all round game better than Cisse’s…probably yes but not by much. Cisse is a better finisher though

• 81 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM

WWSBRD

This Mitrovic deal seems like it has been going on for a century mate, it’s getting to the point where I expect to see his name in every Newcastle related newspaper article. I understand that certain things will hold up the deal but surely the time that is being wasted should be used on scouting further targets incase the inevitable rejection happens. Maybe they are working on other targets? But you would think the media would have spotted it by now, but nope, they keep making up terrible articles that have no evidence and don’t even in the slightest seem remotely true. Regurgitating the same c**p with a different headline.

• 82 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Austin’s the best player I’ve ever seen, at converting 3yard chances during a scramble.

He’s at his level at Qpr and the championship and should stay there or he’ll be found out.

If we’d been relegated I’d say yes, in the EPL no no no.

• 83 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM

In the latest Chronic poll Janmaat is overwhelmingly in the lead for next Newcastle captain.

• 84 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:31 PM

WWSBRD

I think you’re missing the point with your comment re- Anita and Cabella.

McClaren has stated that the players have a clean slate so he is judging them off training, Anita obviously must be the type of player McClaren wants as he is very credible with the ball in possession.

• 85 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM

YoungMagpie
    The scouting has been done mate. Club seem confident of getting this Serbian but apparently have given a deadline, we moved on from Austin but the club have said all along they won’t be rushing. If it’s true and that passes then we will move on

I think the need for a striker has been a bit blown out of proportion anyway

• 86 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:35 PM

I’d put a bid in for Yedlin of Spurs seeing as they now have tripper, dier amd walker vying for rb spot

• 87 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Mitrovic & Chicharito as backup (inexpensive).. Austin is too over rated just because he is English and in a relegated club so rumors generate..as no other decent english striker can be had for 15 mill.. Berahino is a far better player than him.

• 88 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM

YoungMagpie
    I more meant with the fans on here rather than McClaren mate

I don’t see where McClaren has said Anita is a star player though? If he has that certainly disappointing imo

• 89 Our Toon // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Janmaat might have been the best player last season but thay doesn’t mean he’s automatically the best choice for captain. He certainly showed no leadership skills when turning his back for the man utd goal at out place. A leader needs to be vocal, SDJ has been a leader throughout his career from youth right through to senior level. He may not play often but that’s why you have vice captains

• 90 Thump // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM

@YouCouldntMakeItUp: That’s how we should be selling the club end of. Show some videos of the entertainers and just say “we want to bring those days back to Tyneside.” maybe get Kate Upton in to ask if they’ll be her hero, that sort of thing.

• 91 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Our Toon

Completely agree with you/ SDJ looks like a great leader but his fitness might be an issue. If he can be fit for the entore season, he is the best candidate for the captain/s armband. Janmaat is a commited attacker but he does not like defending, his defending is not that good tbh. Wingers can get in crosses to easily beside him.

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM

The misconception of the poster boy know ad Jail…your phonology of Wijnaldum was still misleading and wrong!

…that little link you’re referring to which on my part wad not a YouTube link, had a sound clip for you from a Dutch.

I will still refer you and those you are misleading to the phonology.

That’s the end for the language lessons I will take from you…the disasters of your æ ø å endeavor was bad enough!

I’ll engage you no more on this seeing as you do nothing but gloat about things where you think you are superior. You have been rubbing in it for days now like a spoiled brat!

• 93 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:52 PM

jesper
    Apparently, this is GW’s surname in phonetics: ??i??n??d?m

Make of it what you will!

• 94 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM

jesper
    Oops! It didn’t show all the strange squiggles.

• 95 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I give up!

• 96 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:55 PM

WWSBRD

Oh, ok. My bad.

I think the fans see Anita as more fitting in a Steve McClaren side hence the sudden change of heart on him.

I’m unsure on Cabella, I was so happy when we signed him yet he disappointed me massively, I had such high hopes. I’m not writing him off yet though, see what he can do under McClaren.

• 97 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 14, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Well done to the Toon if there has been an ultimatum set. We can’t hang on all transfer window to be knocked back at the end.

Enough is enough. They have did all they can really and time is of the essence, we need to move on. Targets could be snapped up.

Any news on the game, any foreign or American/Canadian channels beaming it out?

• 98 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM

it’s on-ly words
    And words are all I ha-ave
    To take your heart awa-aayyyy.

• 99 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Tsunki
    So how do YOU pronounce Bee Gees?

• 100 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM

YoungMagpie
    Nar mate I wasn’t very clear on my meaning

Tbh I don’t rate Anita I think he is the worst CM we have, doesn’t stand out above any of our others in any aspect for me

Nice enough chap am sure

• 101 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM

According to the dutch phonolgy page on wiki, w’s are pronounced in a kind of soft V sound. Almost an’f’! They have an example as “somewhere between wine and vine” The U is supposedly almost a ‘y’!

To decipher and what i could hear off the link jail posted…

Fveinaldym ?????? My head hurts

• 102 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Jesper could you explain the meaning again please ?

• 103 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Pronunciation*

• 104 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Jæspår,
    You’re misuse of the letters A, E and O is nothing short of criminal and totally disqualifies you from giving an opinion on Dutch phonetics.

• 105 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Jail

Your*

Sorry. Couldn’t resist 😀

• 106 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Belfast you git. Put the spoon down. 🙂

How do I pronounce Bee Gees? Umm wait I know this one. B. And then a silent G. So you say “Bee-Ees” 😀 it’s all going to kick off I can tell..

• 107 stestickle // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM

http://premier-league-lives.net/live/newcastle-live-stream/channel-1/ Link for match tonight

• 108 will die for the toon army // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Forget Mitrovic and we move on.

Jannmatt is leading every poll on all blogs for captaincy.

• 109 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Jail but to be fair he’s ok with the other vowels…

Just the two of us,
    U & I

Aye thing yowww.

• 110 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:20 PM

😀 well I never noticed a capitalised smiley before 😀

• 111 optimistic prime // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:23 PM

I pronounce Wijnaldum like it’s written, Dave.

• 112 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM

OK it’s just an ordinary sized one now. Forget that. Thought I’d discovered something.

• 113 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Anita should be a starter simply by the performance he put in on the last day of last season.. Jonas took away all the glory but Anita was the unsung silent hero of that day (not demeaning Jonas in any way). This is considering all the other DMs we have in our roster.

• 114 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM

When was TFL last heard from? It must be several days now.

• 115 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM

I doubt that link will work mate, I clicked on that because it was claiming to be broadcasting the Gateshead game yet when it kicked off it said no livestream available. Hopefully I’m wrong!

• 116 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM

I think Jesper is hiding him in his cellar Ron.

• 117 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I think it’s pronounced “Throat Warbler Mangrove”

• 118 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Stestickle,

Im unsure that will work as there is apparantly no live TV coverage at all.

The sacramento game though is being beamed out on youtube on Saturday though.

Here is the link:

• 119 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Trying to teach him Danish, maybe?

• 120 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM

The silence from TFL is worrying.

• 121 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Was he going in for another op, and then silence? I can’t remember.

• 122 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Surë høpë hë’s ålrîght Äftêr hïs hært øp.

• 123 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Nah I think he’s fine did he not come on after the last op ?

He’s probably just resting up.

• 124 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Have to say,i am getting slightly concerned about TFL now, too. Last i read he had an op that didnt go so well, so he was going to have another. Not seen him since

• 125 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Yep I remember he last came on between op 2 and 3 might be wrong though. Maybe the surgeon has forbidden him to read belfast posts.

• 126 WWSBRD // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:35 PM

thegaffer
    One good game against a team without a manager and nothing to play for? Abied contributed more last season and he barely played

• 127 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Phoenix nights was responsible for taking out one of my op staples involuntarily. Bad idea watching that day 2

• 128 Thump // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:36 PM

@Belfast: Aye, he came back after the last op to say that he had to undergo another one. If that’s the case the recuperation time will be increased and it’ll be very tiring.

Fingers crossed for him, of course.

• 129 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Again, what’s the craic with Abeid?

• 130 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM

How do you make that o with the line through it?

• 131 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Ron, that’s for me to know……

• 132 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Hø hø hø!

• 133 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Bø??õ??§

• 134 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Ron…but that made more sense anyway mate 😉

• 135 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Sørry. Røn.

• 136 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Ah. It does not like the funny l’s and ck’s

• 137 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Hold down the “o”

• 138 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Ron…can you change language on your phone?

• 139 Thrasher // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

I think signings will happen… But it may be closer to the closing of the window. We are not the draw we once were but wijnaldum is a great signing for us. Even if we only added 2 more (CB & Striker) right at the end of the window, I wouldn’t see it as a disaster that some would. A few targets who assumed CL teams would come in for them may end up seeing us as a team on the up or even a stepping stone to the premier league top 4. Once Jan comes & we add 2 more etc then summer window.. I’m hoping we see McLarens wow team!
    Yes I need to believe it will get better. To be fair, after the sh1te we’ve had to watch the last few years it can’t get worse!!!!

• 140 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Mark I think it’s ok we kinda guessed…

• 141 nut meg // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Ron
    It’s still going on I see, ha ha & also @ 93 was that alcohol related or just a senior moment ? After a shitty day it’s made me chuckle ha ha.

• 142 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:42 PM

jesper
    So you’re there!

Back to weightier matters: Saylor and Coloccini aren’t playing tonight. Why not?

• 143 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Ron. Don’t change the language on your phone. Jesper – NO! NO!

• 144 Some people ehh // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:44 PM

nightfall @17
    i want some of what youve been smoking

• 145 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:44 PM

I remember changing language on a phone once had to factory reset it no chance of guessing how in Farsi.

• 146 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:46 PM

nut meg
    I tried to copy and paste GW’s name phonetically but the squiggles were changed to question marks. Quel pillock!

jesper
    I use a laptop.

• 147 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM

On TFL,

Im sure he was on here after his last op, he had been told by the nurses he had to be off the net by 23:00. He had an op to fix a problem with his heart which had to be re-done and had been.

That was the last I seen of the lad on here.

Hope all is well with him.

• 148 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Can we lend 5 mill to Roma so they can complete the Dzeko deal!?!

• 149 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM

thegaffer
    I can think of some players we could give them for free!

• 150 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Ron…on a little vacation with the family. It’s just a vacations house and we went to Louisiana (the Museum) so had no phone!

…so has probably missed all the fun…but seem to have to reply to a certain relentless poster boy when ever I come on here…

Belfast…shot it 🙂

• 151 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM

haha.. for sure Ron.. they can make an entire playing 11 out of it!

• 152 nightfa11 // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Some people ehh

Just a regular homegrown weed..you can get it anywhere

• 153 thegaffer // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Saints sign Jordy Clasie..

• 154 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM

jesper
    So do you all use phones to post?

• 155 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Ron…yeah Ed’s blog cannot handle those characters;

I just wrote the letters ‘Vei-nal-dym’. The best I can do as well. The sound is the tricky part seeing as our languages are different and sounds are different!

The Dutch don’t use a European G, and the G-sound in Danish and German (Germanic language) can be confused by a J-sound!

The Y-sound is a English thing

If you’re on a laptop go to characters in control panel ????

• 156 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Ron…I use what ever devise I have at my disposal. ????

I am away from home this week so I only have my phone and iPad. Prefer the phone then 😉

I have a language button which is very annoying because I hit it by mistake all the time.

• 157 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Ah I see, Ron. Look up ascii key sequences, I seem to remember pressing alt shift and something.

• 158 Tsunki // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Alt + numbers I think

• 159 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:06 PM

The “dym” at the end is the hardest bit to describe. The woman on the link kind of says “dyoom” but in a very curt way. Almost as if there were no letters at all between the D and the M.

• 160 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Skunki…no to what?

I don’t know how to get special language characters any other way on a phone!

• 161 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Skunki…now I know what you mean 🙂

I didn’t mean to change the phone’s language settings. I can change language when I write…sadly I sometimes hit that button by mistake 😉

• 162 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:12 PM

It seems Vuckic is history. I wonder how else will be moved on this window.

I had hoped for a total reshuffle this window but I don’t think that will happen.

• 163 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Tsunki/jesper
    You’re befuddling an old man! I’ve just copied ö and ø off the internet. Not what you mean, I suppose.

• 164 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Mark…I do think we hear different sounds because our languages are different.

Having a Dutch writing the phonology would not even help…it would probably just confuse more 🙂

• 165 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Ron…it works as well 🙂 lol

Are you on a Windows laptop?

• 166 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:19 PM

So, because of the blogs limitations on usabke characters, and the difficulty in describing a Dutch ‘u’ (sometimes like in cute, and sometimes just ‘oo’), in an attempt to mediate between Jesper and JFA…..

I think you both actually are as correct as you could possibly be, given the limitations of the blog, when you attempted to type it phonetically. Hope you can both agree to let it go.

• 167 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Jesper.

Exactly. The letters that work phonetically in English, wont work for a Dane, because we pronounce them differently. The only way to be sure would be for us to use the universal phonetic alphabet (which requires learning and examples from our own seperate languages) or to actually HEAR a dutch person say it clearly! 😀

• 168 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Jesper own up where’s Toon from Leeds ?

Off topic, but some of the abuse Sterling is taking is completely over the top like. Threats to kidnapp his daughter and shit bang out of order.

Some sick puppys about.

• 169 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Mark…you have a point and the blog should not be pested with this discussion!

It’s done on my behalf…just don’t like a gloater!

• 170 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Belfast…I shipped him down to Ibiza for recreational purpose!

• 171 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Where has those threats come from? Liverpoolians?

• 172 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Is that right? Kidnap threats? Over a fcuking upopular transfer. Fcuks sake. “Sick puppies” is the polite way of putting it!

• 173 Jib // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM

After a day slaving over a hot pc
    I think this is our best hope for the wee small hours

• 174 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Aye I was reading it in the paper earlier. I think I would rather have their names and addresses if it was me. Rather than the poxy fine they’ll probably get in court. Kicking their heeds in is a much better outcome. 🙂

• 175 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Hope this Giggidy Weeeegnoildyooms plays ok for us.

• 176 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Belfast

And if Raheem were to have them all hunted down and castrated, he’d be the one to go to jail. Where’s the justice, i ask you. Scum!

• 177 lochinvar // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM

If Mitrovic thinks a few games in the CL with Roma is the ambition so be it – that’ is they buy him and if they play him in such games, he may end up as a sub.
    Full time with Newcastle in the Premier League is exactly where he need to be for his career – hope that Papa tells him that.

• 178 Belfast // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Not if he’s wearing a balaclava Markass haha

• 179 stestickle // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM

what about stafano okaka anybody seen him play much looks like a beast but any good

• 180 Ron Knee // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM

jesper
    Sorry. I was repelling an alien cat from the garden. Yes, I’ve got Windows 7.

• 181 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Belfast

As much as i think the lad is a bit of a mercenary pillock,i would gladly do the job for him. He could give me a small cut of his signing on fee.

• 182 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Stestickle

Not seen much about him, but apparently his goal record isn’t up to much.

• 183 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Ron…try writing ‘character map’ under start or go to control panel 🙂

• 184 kikgras // Jul 14, 2015 at 6:36 PM

for those wondering, the match today in milwaukee is at 8pm Milwaukee time, that should be 2am in England.
    they wouldn’t get nearly the turnout if it were played earlier in the day…it’ll also be much cooler come 8pm

previous post: Newcastle Lose Patience – Mitrovic Decision Within 48 Hours