McClaren On Cathro – Great Potential And Newcastle Is His Club

McClaren has told the Mirror that before he appointed 28 year-old Ian Cathro as one of his two assistant coaches he did his homework and he talked to people who had worked with the young coach – who has enormous potential and who knows he could become a Newcastle head coach in the future.

ian cathro

Ian Cathro on the training field at Newcastle

Ian is trying to full the holes in the Newcastle defense with his coaching this pre-season.

This is what McClaren has said about Cathro in the Mirror today:

“I think we have got a damn good staff here. To have coached in Portugal for two years and to have coached at Valencia as a Scot – and I don’t understand them at the best of times! – he must have something.”

“I did my homework in Scotland. People told me – former Scotland manager Craig Levein was one of them. I spoke to Nuno, the head coach at Valencia. People said he was a very good coach with great potential.”

“I think this is his club. We have a policy where we get young players and we develop them. We have said we will get a young coach in and develop him, mentor him.”

“Alongside that we have got a bit of experience in Steve Black and Paul Simpson, who is a great organizer.”

We have to say we are impressed so far with the coaching staff and their positive and professional attitudes.

Of course it’s a massive improvement on John Carver and Steve Stone — it’s chalk and cheese – as they say.

But Steve and his team still have to prove they can get the job done for Newcastle next season – a top eight finish and challenge for one (or two) of the local cups are the targets.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM

No. A coach will not fill the holes in our defense. Defenders will.

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Cathode in!

• hibbit

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM

jail boro were interested in willo and i was told his wage was not the problem 20 k a week i am told the fee was the problem 2m was

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Technically, the cathode would be out. Anode In!

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:12 AM

🙂

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM

He knows all about his electrolytes.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Speaking of the coaching staff. Is woodman still here?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM

hibbit,
    That would be a travesty if true.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:14 AM

While we are on electronics…

RESISTANCE (defenders) ….IN

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Electrodes 😀

Sorry, i build and test power supplies for a living.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Something is definitely amiss, SM did not need to assess the squad to know that we have one of the worst if not THE worst defences in the league.

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Hang in we bought Willo from Portsmouth who were avoiding playing him for about 750k he can’t be worth any more than that surely?

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Markaccus you should know all about potential then eh

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM

OHMy god, i am pedantic. I should be CHARGED as I anm CURRENTly getting carried away

• hibbit

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM

jail i put it on here 2 weeks a go that boro were after willo and the price had put them off i think willo could do a job for boro ….woodgate is done with playing and has been offered a coaching job

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Jail I think our GD last season should tell a coach all he needs to know before packing them onto a plane for an American jolly.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Tsunki

Yes. SM should AMPlify the potential. Carver was a potential divider!

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Actually, if Martoon is about, he was the electronic design engineer for a while where i work. He knows more than me.

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:25 AM

You’re a real live wire this morning mate, nothing negative about you, hardly ever take a neutral stance, always focusing on the positives. No shocks there.

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM

If only we could unplug our dud cb’s.

• Munster Mag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Jail, I cant see us selling Colo or terminating his contract. Not when Shteve is talking about him for captain . At times, when his head is right, he can be an excellent defender as Sky have often shown – and of course he can be awful and his leadership skills are negligible. I would be disappointed if Steve makes him captain, unless his attitude has changed a lot. To me, that would be the first error of Steve’s managemet with us. Anyway, ” Colo is a winner , like me ” – Pardew 🙂

• expatmag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Gentlemen

I may have mentioned this a couple of weeks ago but here it is again.

I have a German mate who is a Schalke season ticket holder. When Matips name first came up, I asked him about Matip.

He said that Matip is very inconsistent and can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some weeks, he looks world class but the majority of the time, he looked like a sunday park player.

He was apparently directly responsible for a lot of goals conceded by Schalke last season.

• Munster Mag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:36 AM

” I think I’m the best coach in this league” …..when you add that to the Pardew “winner” quote, its safe to say we have had some seriously big headed men here. And Souness ( show me your medals ) , and Gullit. Jeez….

• Munster Mag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Great, tks Expat ! Looks like ” In Carr we trust” has become another mistake. We all blamed Pardew and Charva etc, but I dont think he deserves the accolades…

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Munster,
    I can’t see it either but more likely than anyone taking Willo or STaylor off our hands.

• Munster Mag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:44 AM

True,I would keep Taylor though. He gets better with games and is better than Willo and is a geordie etc.

• honest fan

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I like the ambition of us trying to go for a top 8 finish but really anything outside the bottom six I’d be happy with one new signing and one close won’t be enough to challenge the club’s with an actual chance of finishing top8 I’m afraid
    So I’m saying I think we’ll end the season around 12-14th which is still a plus on last season

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

What we’ve had to put up with….. so far Steve seems to be talking the right game. I just hope for his sake he doesnt end up having to big up the likes of Iron Mike due to cost cutting behind the scenes.

• Munster Mag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Jeez Duffre is giving ALL his wages from his move to Shamrock Rovers to charity. Its a pity he didnt do well at the Toon. He’s a good bloke.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Kevy,
    Sorry, got called away. Most underrated defender in the Prem? I’m not sure that is such an easy one to answer, who was your thought that sprung to straight to mind?

There are plenty with potential, but whether they are underrated is a different matter, some are very solid – but again underrated? I think Winston Reid would be an ideal signing for us, but I don’t thick he is underrated, Ashley Williams would be a good purchase, but again not underrated.

Expat,
    Yeah, that mirrors what I have heard, and what I have seen having done a bit of digging regarding Matip. The sublime to the ridiculous, hence my Bramble comparison.

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Honest fan – and that’s where we are. Hoping for a satisfactory season.

“Well done everybody, you were absolutely average! You’ll be pleased to know that, owing to finishing mid table this year, the board have decided to reward your consistent mediocrity by not taking any money off your wages! Here’s to another bland season!”

• cestriasteve

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Surely this is the most important signing for us, I know the other 2 (potentially) are big signings for us but this one is the one we HAVE to get right, is there nobody in the UK we could go after for a similar price?? I’m really jittery about anybody coming in from the continent, they take an age to adapt.

• Tsunki

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM

So Matip would be a panic buy then? 🙂

• Bambams

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Matip must be better than what we have ????
    Let’s face it boys we are not a force anymore so have to target the CL Clubs ‘crumbs’ until we can get back to where the great SBR had us.

• Munster Mag

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Lilongwe, the problem with players like that is that managers think they can improve them, but rarely do as these guys were “formed” earlier in life and quite often concentration is the issue. It is very hard to improve concentration over a time period. I would still take him though!!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Lescott would have been a great signing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 AM

In the centre of defence we need a solid and dependable player, who is vocal and can organise and lead a back line. That is the priority. I don’t really care if they aren’t the most talented on the ball, as long as they can play a bit and defend.

Terry isn’t a world class ball playing defender, but he is a leader, an organiser and incredibly solid and brave on the pitch. That is why he has been one of the best, not because of his passing out of defence. That is the style of centre half we need first.

I always hoped Saylor would turn out to be our version of Terry, but a combination of injuries and an immature streak have meant he has never lived up to it.

• honest fan

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Tsunki
    Being realistic that’s what I truely think I’m a bit worried about the buying of other clubs really we aren’t matching them and we were already behind we would be counting on our new signings to much and for some of the dead wood to play out there skins to aim that high just saying what I think buddy

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Munster,
    I think Matip will develop into a very good defensive midfielder where there is an extra line of defence to cover his mistakes, but not a top class centre half.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:00 AM

still need to get woodman snr out as krul’s dstribution is still shocking and costly. Having paid to get rid of stone and carver, woodman needs to go too asap.

I think Cathro is an inspired coaching choice and another world from carver et al. However, even he can’t turn willo into a footballer and get him playing it out instead of hoofing.

don’t know why willo couldn’t have gone to boro for just a nominal fee. just us being greedy again and now we’re just stuck with him.