The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren On Cathro – Great Potential And Newcastle Is His Club

10:06 am, Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 149 Comments

McClaren has told the Mirror that before he appointed 28 year-old Ian Cathro as one of his two assistant coaches he did his homework and he talked to people who had worked with the young coach – who has enormous potential and who knows he could become a Newcastle head coach in the future.

ian cathro

Ian Cathro on the training field at Newcastle

Ian is trying to full the holes in the Newcastle defense with his coaching this pre-season.

This is what McClaren has said about Cathro in the Mirror today:

“I think we have got a damn good staff here. To have coached in Portugal for two years and to have coached at Valencia as a Scot – and I don’t understand them at the best of times! – he must have something.”

“I did my homework in Scotland. People told me – former Scotland manager Craig Levein was one of them. I spoke to Nuno, the head coach at Valencia. People said he was a very good coach with great potential.”

“I think this is his club. We have a policy where we get young players and we develop them. We have said we will get a young coach in and develop him, mentor him.”

“Alongside that we have got a bit of experience in Steve Black and Paul Simpson, who is a great organizer.”

We have to say we are impressed so far with the coaching staff and their positive and professional attitudes.

Of course it’s a massive improvement on John Carver and Steve Stone — it’s chalk and cheese – as they say.

But Steve and his team still have to prove they can get the job done for Newcastle next season – a top eight finish and challenge for one (or two) of the local cups are the targets.

Tags: Coaching · Contracts · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

149 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM

No. A coach will not fill the holes in our defense. Defenders will.

• 2 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Cathode in!

• 3 hibbit // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM

jail boro were interested in willo and i was told his wage was not the problem 20 k a week i am told the fee was the problem 2m was

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Technically, the cathode would be out. Anode In!

• 5 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:12 AM

🙂

• 6 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM

He knows all about his electrolytes.

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Speaking of the coaching staff. Is woodman still here?

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM

hibbit,
    That would be a travesty if true.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:14 AM

While we are on electronics…

RESISTANCE (defenders) ….IN

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Electrodes 😀

Sorry, i build and test power supplies for a living.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Something is definitely amiss, SM did not need to assess the squad to know that we have one of the worst if not THE worst defences in the league.

• 12 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Hang in we bought Willo from Portsmouth who were avoiding playing him for about 750k he can’t be worth any more than that surely?

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Markaccus you should know all about potential then eh

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:20 AM

OHMy god, i am pedantic. I should be CHARGED as I anm CURRENTly getting carried away

• 15 hibbit // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM

jail i put it on here 2 weeks a go that boro were after willo and the price had put them off i think willo could do a job for boro ….woodgate is done with playing and has been offered a coaching job

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Jail I think our GD last season should tell a coach all he needs to know before packing them onto a plane for an American jolly.

• 17 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Tsunki

Yes. SM should AMPlify the potential. Carver was a potential divider!

• 18 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Actually, if Martoon is about, he was the electronic design engineer for a while where i work. He knows more than me.

• 19 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:25 AM

You’re a real live wire this morning mate, nothing negative about you, hardly ever take a neutral stance, always focusing on the positives. No shocks there.

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM

If only we could unplug our dud cb’s.

• 21 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Jail, I cant see us selling Colo or terminating his contract. Not when Shteve is talking about him for captain . At times, when his head is right, he can be an excellent defender as Sky have often shown – and of course he can be awful and his leadership skills are negligible. I would be disappointed if Steve makes him captain, unless his attitude has changed a lot. To me, that would be the first error of Steve’s managemet with us. Anyway, ” Colo is a winner , like me ” – Pardew 🙂

• 22 expatmag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Gentlemen

I may have mentioned this a couple of weeks ago but here it is again.

I have a German mate who is a Schalke season ticket holder. When Matips name first came up, I asked him about Matip.

He said that Matip is very inconsistent and can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Some weeks, he looks world class but the majority of the time, he looked like a sunday park player.

He was apparently directly responsible for a lot of goals conceded by Schalke last season.

• 23 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:36 AM

” I think I’m the best coach in this league” …..when you add that to the Pardew “winner” quote, its safe to say we have had some seriously big headed men here. And Souness ( show me your medals ) , and Gullit. Jeez….

• 24 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Great, tks Expat ! Looks like ” In Carr we trust” has become another mistake. We all blamed Pardew and Charva etc, but I dont think he deserves the accolades…

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Munster,
    I can’t see it either but more likely than anyone taking Willo or STaylor off our hands.

• 26 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:44 AM

True,I would keep Taylor though. He gets better with games and is better than Willo and is a geordie etc.

• 27 honest fan // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I like the ambition of us trying to go for a top 8 finish but really anything outside the bottom six I’d be happy with one new signing and one close won’t be enough to challenge the club’s with an actual chance of finishing top8 I’m afraid
    So I’m saying I think we’ll end the season around 12-14th which is still a plus on last season

• 28 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

What we’ve had to put up with….. so far Steve seems to be talking the right game. I just hope for his sake he doesnt end up having to big up the likes of Iron Mike due to cost cutting behind the scenes.

• 29 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Jeez Duffre is giving ALL his wages from his move to Shamrock Rovers to charity. Its a pity he didnt do well at the Toon. He’s a good bloke.

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Kevy,
    Sorry, got called away. Most underrated defender in the Prem? I’m not sure that is such an easy one to answer, who was your thought that sprung to straight to mind?

There are plenty with potential, but whether they are underrated is a different matter, some are very solid – but again underrated? I think Winston Reid would be an ideal signing for us, but I don’t thick he is underrated, Ashley Williams would be a good purchase, but again not underrated.

Expat,
    Yeah, that mirrors what I have heard, and what I have seen having done a bit of digging regarding Matip. The sublime to the ridiculous, hence my Bramble comparison.

• 31 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Honest fan – and that’s where we are. Hoping for a satisfactory season.

“Well done everybody, you were absolutely average! You’ll be pleased to know that, owing to finishing mid table this year, the board have decided to reward your consistent mediocrity by not taking any money off your wages! Here’s to another bland season!”

• 32 cestriasteve // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Surely this is the most important signing for us, I know the other 2 (potentially) are big signings for us but this one is the one we HAVE to get right, is there nobody in the UK we could go after for a similar price?? I’m really jittery about anybody coming in from the continent, they take an age to adapt.

• 33 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM

So Matip would be a panic buy then? 🙂

• 34 Bambams // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Matip must be better than what we have ????
    Let’s face it boys we are not a force anymore so have to target the CL Clubs ‘crumbs’ until we can get back to where the great SBR had us.

• 35 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Lilongwe, the problem with players like that is that managers think they can improve them, but rarely do as these guys were “formed” earlier in life and quite often concentration is the issue. It is very hard to improve concentration over a time period. I would still take him though!!

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Lescott would have been a great signing.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 AM

In the centre of defence we need a solid and dependable player, who is vocal and can organise and lead a back line. That is the priority. I don’t really care if they aren’t the most talented on the ball, as long as they can play a bit and defend.

Terry isn’t a world class ball playing defender, but he is a leader, an organiser and incredibly solid and brave on the pitch. That is why he has been one of the best, not because of his passing out of defence. That is the style of centre half we need first.

I always hoped Saylor would turn out to be our version of Terry, but a combination of injuries and an immature streak have meant he has never lived up to it.

• 38 honest fan // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Tsunki
    Being realistic that’s what I truely think I’m a bit worried about the buying of other clubs really we aren’t matching them and we were already behind we would be counting on our new signings to much and for some of the dead wood to play out there skins to aim that high just saying what I think buddy

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Munster,
    I think Matip will develop into a very good defensive midfielder where there is an extra line of defence to cover his mistakes, but not a top class centre half.

• 40 Rotonda heights // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:00 AM

still need to get woodman snr out as krul’s dstribution is still shocking and costly. Having paid to get rid of stone and carver, woodman needs to go too asap.

I think Cathro is an inspired coaching choice and another world from carver et al. However, even he can’t turn willo into a footballer and get him playing it out instead of hoofing.

don’t know why willo couldn’t have gone to boro for just a nominal fee. just us being greedy again and now we’re just stuck with him.

• 41 honest fan // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Think distan would have been an upgrade and he was on a free

• 42 expatmag // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Lil

In my opinion, Bramble went from the ridiculous to the “look how many I fooled to be paid for playing football” scenario.

• 43 Offkey // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM

At least bramble had a decent long range pass/punt…….

• 44 expatmag // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Honest fan

Distin is 38 for fcuks sake. How would he have been an improvement??????

• 45 hibbit // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM

i would love shawcross stands tall attacks the ball solid or somebody like him

• 46 Rotonda heights // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM

lilo

have to disagree about terry. he put on a skill session before a leeds v chelsea game years ago and what he was doing with a football was amazing. Incredible technical ability for a CB. keepy ups alternating with the heels of both feet, rainbow flicks, all sorts.

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Expat,
    Bramble looked very good a lot of the time when he played next to Woodgate who was constantly talking to him and organising the defence. Woodgate’s constant talking meant Bramble was more focussed.

Bramble could tackle well, and was physical, it was the mental side of the game he really struggled with which was why he benefitted so much from Woodgate’s football intelligence.

• 48 Ron Knee // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM

When does the offer for MEE-TRO-VEETCH expire? Today?

• 49 davetoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Not sure why people go on about selling players. We can just ship them off to Rangers again.

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM

hibbit,
    Shawcross is another that would fit for us.

Rotonda,
    Rainbow flicks? I’d be disappointed if most Prem footballers can’t do that. I have coached 12/13/14 year olds who can! Anyway, circus football doesn’t equate to being a good ball playing defender in my opinion. He can certainly play a bit, but that isn’t why he was considered one of the best around.

• 51 Rotonda heights // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM

cestria

bit of a sweeping statement. A lot of foreigners fit in quite easily these days as the majority of the top 7 squads are largely foreigners now, so culturally and style wise not as difficult as it once was.

Look at suarez, yaya toure and countless other examples, even our own perez who took to life in the premiership very easily

I would say just as many english players struggle to adapt and some never succeed, just look at willo as a prime example of that.

• 52 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Rotonda,
    I would quite enjoy watching Willo attempt to rainbow flick it though. That should provide some comedy entertainment.

• 53 Offkey // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:17 AM

On a positive note, Williamson provides excellent pound for pound value!

• 54 Rotonda heights // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM

lilo

just saying don’t underestimate his technical skills as well as his combatitive qualities.

14 years ago I doubt many people had heard of rainbow flicks. Terry’s passing skills in the chelsea warm up that day weren’t too shabby either, certainly no circus act.

I do find it a tad disappointing when a fellow coach kind of ridicules skills as being a ”circus act”. English football has suffered for years with that kind of attitude. Futebol de salao etc, developing kid’s skills and letting players express themselves etc is still so badly under valued in this country.

• 55 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Rotonda,
    They are circus tricks though mate. I have no problem with people developing those skills, I encourage it with kids I coach. It helps them become comfortable with the ball. That should be the focus of children developing skills such as rainbow flicks or keep ups. Not the actual skill itself.

Great if players can do them, but they are rarely useful on a pitch playing football. I know people who travel the world competing in skills events. Put them in a match and they are useless because all they know is skills. It should be a tool for development, not the aim.

• 56 honest fan // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Expat 38 and still better than all our cb’s he’d be goodfor a season to bring the best out of Jamaal and he was on a free no brained really mate

• 57 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:32 AM

There’s a joke about Willo in there somewhere about rainbows and crocks. I’ll figure it out given time.

• 58 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Tsunki

Haven’t you got an Ohm to go to?

• 59 martoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp @18 – You called – I have to say some of your jokes today have been shocking 🙂
    Continuing your electronics theme – I have been trying to think of NUFC footballers
    Peter RAMage
    Could have David ‘Siemen’ but he’s not NUFC
    I’m sure you can do better!

• 60 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Watts that you say?

• 61 SuperShearer // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Degree of irony that Mitrovic is Roma’s second choice but still he holds out for them and he’s our first choice but he stalls on us. Apparently Roma have told him to wait on their move for Dzeko to go through before signing for us.

• 62 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Not much news on the Microfarad transfer today ok ok I’ll stop.

• 63 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Sorry Tsunki,

I shouldn’t really mention ohms.
    I know as a fan that resistance is futile.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Afternoon all,

Was the friendly on a stream last night? If so, how did we play, despite losing?

• 65 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Indeed BandB, and in the current ( it was an accident it was an accident) climate such opposition to and scepticism of the regime is frowned upon as mere…. ne…..neg….nega…. whining.

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Stephen Watt.

• 67 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:56 AM

The blog is buzzing. Ibiza, high tension here today. Everyone seems wired.

• 68 Ron Knee // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Ibiza
    You can watch it all here – if you really want to!:

• 69 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Stephen Watt? Oh yes, I see the connection.

• 70 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Tsunki…So it would seem. I’m afraid I have little to add (for a change).

• 71 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM

There’s hours of it apparently. Well half an hour but it seems like 3 by all accounts. And then there’s the second half.

• 72 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Ron…Ermm….thanks I guess 🙂

Could you tell me if there were any noticable improvements in our play and save me the potential pain?

• 73 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Did I just read Johnny Evans to Everon. Is Charnley skiving or what here like?

• 74 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Tsunki…Sorry I missed it.

Kevy…I’m going to go out on a limb and say yes, yes you did read that. Am I right?

• 75 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Sorry Tsunki. Just got back to read your electro-puns. Nice work.
    Good of you to Relay the info about the electric nature of the blog to ibiza….. ok bored now :-p

• 76 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM

I am struggling to get Tesla and Kirchoff in the convo.

• 77 lesh // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Cathro’s being developed as a future HC?

Bally hell, what’s got into this club in that we seem to be thinking ahead, succession planning?

That generally happens in well-run businesses and organisations – does that mean we’re gonna start doing things according to good business practise?

Now that’s quite a departure from previous years and let’s hope we see the results on the pitch so becoming a club to be admired rather than the subject of ridicule.

• 78 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM

@ibiza Yep I just read it. Not sure if it’s true or not but surely if Evans was available we should be in for him?

• 79 JAMSHA // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM

anytng on mictrovic??? i guess he has less dan 24 hrs now

• 80 Ron Knee // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Ibiza
    If you’re a connoisseur of crap defenders (ie you know who) then this video is right up your street.

• 81 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Kevy…Personally, I don’t have much of an opinion on him either way. I’d like to think, given this new look Newcastle…that we might be aiming a little higher.

Was there a mention of the fee? He asked, wondering why he cared? 🙂

• 82 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Not been on here for an age hence the dated name
    my choices for an experienced prem cb would be winston reid, shawcross or even scott dann

• 83 lesh // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Watt’s going on here today?

The blog’s buzzing, high tension, shocking, Tesla?

Never thought I’d see the Faraday!

• 84 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Ron…I think you have me confused with NUFC mate.

The connoisseurs of crap defenders.

• 85 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Ibiza no fee mentioned. I think Evans is a decent player would be better than what we have that being said you would expect United to slap a price tag on him that’s not to big but to much for a player of his quality.

• 86 Mister Tuff // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Some absolutely rubbish electronics jokes on here this morning – it is hampering chat about the football issues.

• 87 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM

On other news, I am annoyed by how much resistance mitrovics dad is giving, that said ill be shocked if he goes to roma.
    also hoping wijnaldum provides that spark we have been missing in midfield. Hope we can further improve the current squad

• 88 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM

PPB…Where have you been hiding?

Tuff….Are you really that fused?

Kevy…I get what you’re saying, but “better than what we have” isn’t really much of a criteria when it comes to CB’s.

• 89 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Tuff…Sorry, typo…fussed…of course.

• 90 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM

It’s time to pull the plug on Mitrovic.
    Looks like we’ve been re-fused.

• 91 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM

That’s Geordie Wijnaldum on his way to meet up with the squad he just tweeted it there.

• 92 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Hehehe

Everyones at it. Some real bright sparks on here today.

• 93 martoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Let’s hope this doesn’t give Ashley more ideas:-

• 94 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Has Ron VLAAARGH signed with anyone yet? Would do for me, free agent.

• 95 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Martoon

I would think Ashley pioneers that kind of thing, rather than following suit…..hes a leading light in trashy practices

• 96 check the toastie // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Hope Cheik Diode recaptures his previous form, he has lacked his normal spark for some time.

• 97 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Ibiza I just didnt much like the negative atmosphere on here for a while. I did have a look every now and then but didnt post anything

• 98 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM

BandB..To be fair, a much better use of fused than I.

• 99 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Definately something to be said in keeping Coloccini! He needs to play alongside someone with height and pace though! Whenever hes been able to play his natural position of right side of central defense hes looked much more assured.
    Tactically hes very well suited to playing in a back 3 as a sweeper (similar to how holland use Vlaar).
    He also suits possession football as hes very comfortable on the ball and has decent range of paasing. Not sure he suited deep containment football Pardew played as his strength is reading the game and hes not strong enough in the air to defend on the edge of his box.
    One thing id say is he hasn’t looked happy for 2 years! (But then none of us have been ha) mcClaren shouod sit him down and ask him honestly if he wants to be here! With 1 year left at 33/34 he has no sell on value and on 80k p/w the saving of his wages alone would be worth the free transfer fee if he doesn’t want to stay here!

• 100 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM

PPB…Interesting comment. Can I probe a little?

• 101 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Whatc will man u charge for evans?

• 102 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM

@jamsha Mitrovic is at the airport buying his ticket to newcastle, tears running down his face occasionally shouting out to no one “anybody else, please someone want me” whilst Elton johns “i guess thats why they call it the blues’ plays over the top

• 103 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Ibizatoon

There was a time when it was simply unfair to suggest that the club could be run any better.
    Now it is being run twice as well.

• 104 Thump // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Still no word from TFL?

• 105 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Twitters got a respected Journo saying we’re in for Ever Banega…. Coz thats what we need, another 5′ ft central midfielder….

• 106 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Ibiza as long as you stay meutrsl on yhe subject

• 107 optimistic prime // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Tuff

Their doing my ed in son

• 108 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Neutral even

• 109 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM

PPB

dod your keyboard have a heart attack, there???

• 110 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM

BandB…Ain’t that something.

Maybe a time will come when there will some actual proper evidence to suggest that. Maybe.

As of now, I see words, promises and a lot of stuff that looks and feels similar to the old leaf.

I eagerly await upcoming developments though.

• 111 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM

On titus bramble – honestly THE best centre back ive ever seen for 85 munutes per game! Shame football is played for 90 and those 5 mins per game where he shut off tended to be devastating.
    Surprised the club didn’t put him on that ADHD medication. A bramble that could concentrate for a full game would have been legendary

• 112 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Did*

Irony at I’ts best

• 113 Thump // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM

@PPB: You’re right, it got a bit… tetchy on here to say the least. I stopped posting for the same reason, samey conversation, always ends up with the same argument between the same people. It just got bloody boring.

• 114 check the toastie // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Think the club is still standing still personally, needs to be some movement shortly regards recruitment, season ticket sales are awful and club has one last chance to retain decent players with some ambition.

Mcclarens appointment did not prove that ambition, it just proves eventually they came to there senses regards the old regime.

• 115 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:40 PM

For fcuks sake….. its*

• 116 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM

PPB…I’ll be so neutral for this day forth I could be known as “Ibiza Neutral Toon” – then again, perhaps I wont.

You say “negative atmosphere on here” – Was it not a negative atmosphere around the club? Was there much to be positive about?

I’m keen to understand, as there have been a few posters who have said things along the lines of “Phew…not it’s more positive on here I can post again”. Is that due to not wanting to commenting about negative issues or that you feel the bloggers were being too negative about the situation?

How did I do at being neutral?

• 117 Mister Tuff // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM

op exactly too many poor comedians on here this morning. We need to be talking about how Cathro is going to iron out all our faults and perhaps be the flux that joins the team together as a unit.

• 118 optimistic prime // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Ibiza

Are you saying it looks like any other window?

I’m not sure you’re allowed to say that.

• 119 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Ibizatoon,

Well at least it sounds like there’s going to be some unmissable blog craic to read.

• 120 ronaldo aarons // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Agree on matip, decent player with good potential but will never be a top cb. Similar to Veltman who has the habbit of making an occasional ‘titus bramble’. Ball playing cb are all well and could but if they can’t defend first and foremost then there is not much point in them being there. The cb we need is kamil glik. I keep going on about him because he is perfect for what we need. He is a defender in the terry, vidic mould. Leader, organises, aerially dominant, brave and is solid. Kamil glik and rudiger would be a great partnership and there would be no chance in us ever getting bullied at the back again.

• 121 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM

we need CB and sell Willo…CB and CF are priority…then we can buy winger or another CB…in reality to be top6 contender we need
    2CB,1CF,1WG,1RB,1DM

• 122 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM

OP…Really? I missed that update. Was it released through a preferred media partner? Perhaps Steve sent an email out?

What must a fan do to keep in the loop?

BandB…I do hope so. Now that the negativity has flown away…let the craic commence.

• 123 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Why can’t everyone just got along and agree….with me….and only post opinions I don’t find offensive.

• 124 Mister Tuff // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:47 PM

op just got that on a second reading – best so far.
    I think that Winston Reid might be a good shout. He can switch positions in the back line.

• 125 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM

@youcouldnt
    no just fat fingers and a laggy touch screen coupled with hurried ste a lth typing

• 126 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM

BandB…It certainly makes for an easier read.

If only people could stop having their own opinions.

• 127 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM

That’s it Mr T, Just solder on with football comments.

• 128 Ibizatoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Well, this has been fun, albeit short.

Hi hi, hi ho, it’s back off to work I go…

Bye for now.

PPB…I’ll check back later for a reply…a neutral one of course 🙂

• 129 martoon // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Just to recap something I mentioned earlier – I was buying a ticket for the Southampton game last night and I had a look around the ground for empty seats. While the Leazes End and sides were reasonably well occupied the Gallowgate had large areas of available seats – the ST sales must be down!

• 130 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Tuff

Ok, ok, you are right…. So do you think Cathro will have them running circuits on a regular basis?

• 131 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Ideal transfer window would be to bring in now:
    CF—Mitrovic – 12M
    CB—Rudiger – 10-15M
    CB—Abdennour – 10-15M
    WG—Thauvin – 10-15M
    DM—Lemina – 3-5M
    RB—cover 1-3M young RB from championship

• 132 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:54 PM

but I would be happy enough with Mitrovic + one CB and maybee WG…next window another CB, DM and RB cover…this is for this and winter windows

• 133 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM

PPB

I know the feeling. If i didnt make multiple corrections, my posts would be utterly undecipherable…. (I await the inevitable comment on this from somebody)

• 134 Mister Tuff // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Back to the tour.
    I’m hoping that Wally is playing some of the duds first. Get them out of the way as the tour progresses.
    Cathro indicated previously that they have a good idea what needs to be done – he said that last week.
    Still early days yet on the transfer front (per Toon standards)- if no CB(‘s) are bought to me it would indicate that the hierarchy are meddling in the team – better wait and see on that point.
    Most observers know that Williamson is poor and should not be a PL player – Wally surely will get an upgrade on the defenders.

• 135 optimistic prime // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM

I like all the different opinions, especially the conflicting ones from the same poster.

Don’t sign Mitrovich he doesn’t want to be here, keep colo and Sisoko they’re our best players.

If carlsberg did irony

• 136 nightfa11 // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM

berahino, carroll/mitrovic, abdennour and maybe cabella-thauvin swap deal – i rate them pretty much the same, but thauvin is a wiger..cabella is not adn i cant see him getting much playing time at his preferd position when we already have sdj and winjaldum who play there..

if we could pull this off, we have a chance of top 6 finish..well..the rest is up to mclaren..

and we need to sell..i’m surprised we havent sell anyone yet..obertan, wili, rivi, goufrann, one of the DMC (tiote? cos we have sissoko, colback, mehdi, anita,..)..

• 137 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM

i will say it again.

we can sign whoever we want from midfield upwards, but we are going to struggle badly in the league, if the likes of williamson and saylor are our defenders. our centre backs are ALL championship standard at best.

without a proper centre back signing, wijnaldum and likes will appear to be pants.

• 138 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 15, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Ibiza being neutral come naturally to a fence sitter like you. I think I was in a bad mood about how crap we have beeen and commenting and arguing hete would make it worse

• 139 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM

I’m running out of capacitance with this transfer window.

• 140 OneAlanShearer // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Toonfan8 – agree with your picks. Thauvin I’m not sure on. If we got those 2 centre backs I’d be happy. Matip worries me. Fingers crossed it happens and soon.

• 141 Munster Mag // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Toonfan, you can dream on with that list mate. Personally I would accept a really good striker and a really good centre half, and a couple of others in the 5-6 mill category. Syteve is talking aboit building the team over 3 windows remember. Also I dont think we will let many go, so we will be hearing plenty of excitement from \steve re the players – we already are – Cisse and Sissoko etc. My best bet is that if Colo has one good game, we will hear ALL about it.

• 142 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Picture two women let’s say Julia Roberts in her younger days and go with Lindsay Lohan in here crack days. So Lindsay Lohan really really wants to go with you but Julia Roberts “might” want to go with you. What are you gona do lol

Nice analogy for yas

• 143 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM

OP

We don’t need Carlsberg here.
    We have the smiley to flag-up our ironic intentions.

• 144 optimistic prime // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM

🙂

• 145 CisseSomething // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Anyone else actually realize how bad krul is at getting rid of the ball when darlow came on. Darlows throws are key for quick counters.

• 146 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM

I know it is probably dreaming, but I think we will really have a good team after this 3 windows…deadwood must be sent out Willo, Obertan, Ferguson, Vuckic, then Collo and bring in good players of +10M calibre…Gouffran also deadwood

• 147 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Yes and I have to say that for me Krul isnt something special, with SM style we need GK with good feets and throwing…

• 148 Offkey // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Wijnaldum seems to be making his way to america now..he tweeted next stop america….hopefully he gets a run out against Sacremento.

• 149 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM

gmorning all,

I must say, this chat, esp at the beginning has had me in stitches today, well done to all of you 🙂

its funny though, two seasons ago, willo was voted our best player, wasn’t he? lol

previous post: Steve McClaren Hints At New Signings Soon