The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In Surprising Link For Portuguese Midfielder

8:44 am, Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 40 Comments

22 year-old Portuguese midfielder Joao Carlos Teixeira had an excellent game against the Thai All Stars yesterday in Bangkok for Liverpool, and created two goals before being substituted at half-time.

Liverpool went on to win that game 4-0, and would you believe it – but it seems that Newcastle are interested in buying the Portuguese U21 star.

Joao Teixeira

Joao Teixeira – 22 year-old Portuguese midfielder

The Sun is reporting today that both Newcastle United and West Ham are interested in the player, who signed on at Liverpool three years ago from Sporting Lisbon.

He had been at the Lisbon club since he was 11 years old,  and the right footed player had come through the Youth Academy there.

He spent last season on loan at Brighton and Hove Albion, where he played 35 games with 5 goals and 4 assists and looked a very good player.

His season was cut short when he broke a leg last April, and was recalled by Liverpool, but he seems to have recovered from that so it wasn’t that serious.

When he joined Liverpool, Teixeira was hailed as “the new Deco” but he’s only played one competitive game for Liverpool early last year against Fulham, and he will feel he needs to get games.

Liverpool fans compared his display yesterday to that of Coutinho,  but he could still struggle for games on Merseyside with Roberto Firmino having been brought in.

Raheem Sterling moving to Manchester City could also perhaps open up the way for him next season on Merseyside.

It could be difficult for Newcastle to get this player, unless he forces a move so he can get first team football elsewhere, because he will still have big competition at Liverpool.

What do you think?

40 responses so far ↓

• 1 WestOzMag // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:49 AM

• 2 lesh // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM

What? The bin-dipper’s bin dipped by the Toon?

Go for him Lee, give them a taste of their own medicine!

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Why would one friendly change my mind? I’ve seen enough abysmal performances from him and no shows to counter any of that.

I’ve said in the past the only place he should ever get a game for us is right wing. He isn’t good enough anywhere else. Where was he playing yesterday, right wing.

No, I’d still be fine with him leaving if we went and brought in some genuine width.

McClaren praised him, wow. He also said that the defence wasn’t bad, it was the entire team that were bad off the ball first half. Would you agree Willo had an okay game? As it is, I saw him say they linked well, and played with a smile, but the person he singled out for the most praise was Cisse. Either way, it is a friendly. Riviere banged several goals in during our friendlies last summer, couldn’t hit a barn door in the league.

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Last nights game has 2 massive plus points….it has highlighted our need for a goal scorer, and has highlighted even more our need for AT LEAST ONE QUALITY CB, and another cb as back up.

Why are we going for more mf’s??

• 5 nut meg // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:52 AM

I really want that to be Matrovic & I really want it to be true.I also don’t care how you pronounce his name either, I just want him over that line!

Watched the game & thought it was a decent workout for us,should bring us along the road to fitness quitewell. The one thing that did surprise me was that players were passing the ball for Willo to make 25/30 yd + forward passes. He’s got to be the last man to have that responsibility surely

• 6 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:53 AM

It does seem we need a make shift and quickly!

I have always thought it’s a waste to use pre -season on players who won’t feature!

…unless nothing is really going to happen!

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Hmmmmm, do we really need another player who plays that attacking midfield role? I think the Sun is making this up somehow.

• 8 Slank // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:56 AM

nut meg

Yes I noticed that the players were passing the ball to Williamson quite a lot.

Perhaps they have been instructed by McClaren to do so as Williamson needs as much practice as possible although personally I think he is flogging a dead horse.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Also, did you see the finish? Terrible goalkeeping to be beaten like that. Most Prem keepers would have gathered it without much trouble.

• 10 jazzyp // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:57 AM

• 11 Jib // Jul 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM

According to , which has been on the money so far.
    Anderlecht have Mitrovics replacement lined up (The Nigerian Ezekial) and have accepted the Toons offer.
    Daddy Mitrovic is back in Belgrade studying the contract but he doen’t think his son is being offered enough wages (€2million pa) and that is the stumbling block.

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:00 AM

No more bloody midfieders, we need I reckon 2 central defenders, 1 right back and a 1 maybe 2 forwards.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Nut meg,
    It is pronounced Mit – Ro – Vic.

Hope that helps.

• 14 toon kk // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Looks like another relegation scrap coming up next season, the board can’t even see where our problems lie.

• 15 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:01 AM

FCUK Mitrovic WEEE NEED DEFENDERS. I reckon Tiote will bounce back this season. I know it was pre season last night people saying but the players wernt fit? How can you even say that? They train every day they get 2 months of a year and somehow come back unfit? Colback and Anita just could not cope with the counter attack pace an well of course Williamson is just useless. Also Jamal has a lot to learn he was diving into tackles at 1 point I seen him let someone get goal side of him once he realised that he just pulled him down gave them a free kick about 30 yards out.

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:03 AM

So what is the actual stumbling block, the player, the players father, anderlecht, next doors neighbours cat.

• 17 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Anybody know why Rivi wasn’t on the bench last night? We named 8 subs, including both Darlow and Woodman. Has Rivi picked up a knock?

• 18 OneAlanShearer // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Yes we 100 percent need defenders. Ideally 2 cbs and a left back with right back cover but we also need a playmaker to sit deep and distribute. Wijnaldum is a box to box string running attacking mid. Minimum required is a solid cb. Playmaker. Striker. That’s with all others staying.

• 19 Slank // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Perhaps the story isn’t so far fetched as it seems if De Jong cannot get to the match fitness levels required for a sustained period in the Premiership. Or Liverpool fancy Sissoko.

Colback and Wijnaldum will almost certainly be first choice in midfield and both have the energy and tenacity for that role but a skilled playmaker is required if De Jong can’t make it.

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Welsh I think all parties are just waiting for the pictures to come back from the Pluto fly-by

• 21 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:07 AM

@lilongwe Finish was decent considering his angle. Not all prem keepers are Peter Cechs see far worse shots than that scored in our league. I bet if edd puts up a vote there wouldn’t be many who thinks Sissoko is garbage and wants rid of him I guarantee you most nufc fans would choose to keep him but hey you intitle to your opinion bud.

• 22 Toon_Tom // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Well i watched the match this morning before work with my weetabix…

overall some good passing moves, good pressing and looked a lot more confident on the ball.

Krul is still unable to kick a ball mind!

• 23 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Why isn’t DeJong fit? What’s the point of his extended recuperation?

• 24 Slank // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Jin @ 11

More like Daddy Mitrovic thinks that he is not being offered enough for himself and his family from his son who he possibly regards as a cash cow to be milked.

• 25 Toon_Tom // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:09 AM

What was apparent from watching the match – and the back end of last season is that we should have kept a hold of Mbiwa and Santon in my opinion.

• 26 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:09 AM

from what i have seen, De Jong looks really good, yes his fitness isnt good enough right now, but he will come good, he needs some games, training sessions and he will be allright. He is class player, great vision and football brain.

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Kevy, I don’t think he’s rubbish and I don’t want rid. I’m just saying he ain’t all that and if he went we could get a rounder peg to fit into the hole.

• 28 nut meg // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Aye thanks for that,I did know but saying as the Wijnaldum debate is still ongoing I thought I’d just mention to Ron I don’t care how Mitrovic is pronounced as a bit of fun.ha ha

• 29 Slank // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Tsunki @ 23

He didn’t look like he was at the races. Perhaps his problems are more serious than we have been lead to believe.

The next two games should be telling.

• 30 Toonfan8 // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:11 AM

But in general I think we will be much better to watch this season and thats a good sign.

• 31 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:12 AM

No fan of Santon I hold my hands up, and I can’t recall Mbiwa touching a ball with his head, but to have Willo and Dummett as first choices and virtually no backup beggars belief. How long that situation will be allowed to continue depends on ST sales, not player sales.

• 32 the ledge // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Oh God here we go now

• 33 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Why is people saying we need a CAM? Mark my words this will be Cabellas break through season for us. You can tell he has been working hard to meet the premier league standards he came out and said he has been hitting the gym and trying to bulk up. He will come good this season. Brilliant we player when he is on form.

• 34 Slank // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Toonfan8 @ 26

I think no one would disagree with you about him being a ‘class player, great vision and football brain’ but how long is it reasonable to expect for him to get fit.

I guess we will find out on this tour.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM

nut meg,
    I know, my post was tongue in cheek. I had thought it might not work, but couldn’t bring myself to put a smiley at the end of it.

• 36 toon kk // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Our squad needs to big of a revamp to get anywhere near the top ten, defenders, wingers with pace and strikers, we have no goal scorers apart from a poacher.
    We won’t bring in what’s required so we’ll struggle in the premier league.
    Total lack of knowledge at the top.

• 37 will die for the toon army // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Is Durmett ready for CB role? Was Mcclaren told not to play Colo? How we given up on Thauvin?

• 38 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:18 AM

My point of view on it is I don’t care about Mitrovic or any other attacker or Midfielder. I simply won’t feel happy or satisfied untill we sort out our defenders. Williamson needs replaced end of story. Every knows this and has known this so the club needs to fix it. Any forwards or midfielders signed will be a bonus for me If and when we sort the main problem out the defence.

• 39 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM

It will be interesting to see if McClaren will use a CAM ay all this season and settle for a 4-3-3 with one in the hole.

It would mean we definitely need new forwards and that winger with an end product.

• 40 banjax // Jul 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM

After the display in Milwaukee, Newcastle need Half Backs ready to play. As far as promising young players this latest Liverpool prospect is nowhere near first team starts so why would we buy him ? We need players who will start matches to keep us in the premier league and win trophies. Nothing more – nothing less !

previous post: Newcastle Go Down 2-1 In Milwaukee – Aarons Shines

next post: Newcastle Close To Second Signing – Is It This Defender?