The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported Back In For Center-Back Douglas

10:35 pm, Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 56 Comments

Joe Kinnear didn’t do much at Newcastle when he was the Director of Football,  but one of the first things he did do when he came in two years ago last month, was to block the transfer of 6ft 4ins center-back Douglas, who was at FC Twente at the time, and Managing Director had worked his tail off to get a deal all set up – just for Joe to kill it.

That’s one of the reasons that Derek Llambias rather quickly resigned  a few days later, once Joe was officially unveiled as the Director of Football.

douglas dynamo moscow

Douglas – at Dynamo Moscow

The good news and bad news about Joe Kinnear was he didn’t do too much else for 20 months at Newcastle, until owner Mike Ashley fired him a year last February.

Douglas is now at Dynamo Moscow, whom he joined two years ago as a free agent,  and there’s news that Steve McClaren may want to go back in for the player who was in his side when FC Twente won the Dutch Championship for the only time in 2010.

The Mail is reporting tonight that Newcastle have inquired about signing the center back from Dynamo Moscow this summer.

When you think about it – it could be a decent move for Newcastle, now that McClaren is at Newcastle United, because he’ll know all about Douglas.

Since he was signed as free agent two years ago – Moscow would also be able to make a decent profit on him, with one year left on his three year contract in Russia.

And other than 21 year-old Jamaal Lascelles, who joined the first team squad this summer, Newcastle haven’t  bothered  to sign any center-back to reinforce our leaky  defense since we gave up on Douglas two years ago.

The Newcastle defense if anything is worse than it was two years, after we have concede 63 goals and 59 goals in the last two Premier League seasons – in our relegation year in 2009 we conceded 59 goals.

Douglas is very good in the air and he is a giant of a man, and can help Newcastle be a lot more dangerous from set plays.

He could still be an excellent acquisition for Newcastle – even if it’s two years late – and the Brazilian already has Dutch citizenship so he wouldn’t need a work permit to come to Newcastle.

While at FC Twente for six years, after signing on from Brazilian club Joinville in 2007, he appeared 243 times for Twente with 19 goals and 16 assists.

In the two seasons he’s been in Moscow he’s made 54 appearances with three goals and one assist.

He could be a good signing for Newcastle this summer and help plug our (very) leaky defense.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

56 responses so far ↓

• 1 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Ed, we haven’t signed any central defence since we got relegated, never mind since 2 years ago!

• 2 Belfast // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM

And todays laziest link trophy goes to the Daily Mail.

Recycled bullshit.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Our Toon,
    I don’t think Martinez knows how to use Barkley. From what I have sen of Barkley he doesn’t seem like he thinks he has made it. He doesn’t suit a Martinez side though.

As for others thinking they have made it, quite pssibly. The Championship was the 7th best paid league in Europe in 13/14 – it may have dropped, but not significantly I wouldn’t have thought.

English football development is a joke though. I’ve written and complained about this for years privately and publicly. Until the FA gets an executive who isn’t self involved and just wants to be a legend in his own lunchtime, nowt will change.

It is all about here and now. What they can get. Nothing to do with development and improving.

• 4 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Barkley should be the best English footballer since Gazza.
    If he isn’t, managers will have wrecked him.
    Give him to Alan Pardew.
    He’ll be playing for Harrogate in two years.

• 5 Belfast // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:46 PM

If you ain’t got a story let’s recycle an old story. Very old in case.

• 6 Our Toon // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:47 PM

LG

Grass roots is where the FA need to look at,I personally think the HG quota is a joke and is actually hindering the best talent rather than making them better, citeh paying over the odds for sterling and the excessive prices for British talent is only gonna get worse as this quota gets increased to 8!!

These youngsters are signed and then they rot away, Scott Sinclair (not great youngster) said that Mancini signed him but never spoke to him once, it was clear he was signed to fill the quota!! This will happen more often. Dyke and his cronies are looking for a quick fix, it ain’t a quick fix though!!

On Barkley, it could be that he doesn’t suit Martinez set up but he still tries to much himself, I hope he kicks on, he looks class when on song.

• 7 Robby Bobson // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Pretty sure the local rags reported at the time that Kinnear pulled the plug on the deal because he didn’t know the player, then spoke to Mcclaren who advised against him.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:49 PM

BandB,
    Surely not better than Tom Ince, Andros Townsend or Wlifred Zaha???

Tongue out of cheek, agreed, think he has great potential.

Barkley is similar to Sissoko but with heart in a challenge and far more technical ability in the pass and finish. Doesn’t suit Martinez because he is a powerful runner with the ball, and Martinez is very one dimensional.

• 9 Our Toon // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:50 PM

When I first saw Wilshire for Arsenal I thought wow what a player this youngster is going to be, then they played Barcelona later that year in CL, Guardiola was asked about Wilshire talent and whether he could play for Barca by an English Journo, Guardiola said he looks promising but you love him because he’s different to what the English produce, in Spain we have hundreds of players like him.

• 10 King Colback // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 PM

It’s a sorry state of affairs when we are 2/1 to sign Andros Townsend but 33/1 to sign Xherdan Shaqiri.
    Saw it on Twitter but we are still strangely 1/1 favourites for Austin!

We need players in pretty soon, centre backs and forwards

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Our Toon,
    Dyke is the same as any other FA Suit. They couldn’t give two hoots about the long term implications, success during there tenure is the aim. The next major championship is the aim. Far more wrong with English football than that. This idea of a 4/5 year fix cam well before Dyke.

It isn’t just them though, it is the pressure mentality, the win at all costs. Success over development. Media pressure, parental. Embarrassing.Home of football, but clueless how to incubate development and actually forward the game.

• 12 Our Toon // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 PM

We have the urgency of a dead donkey!!

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM

To be fair, while I harboured some similar reservations whilst in England, I didn’t realise how much the parental pressure and win at all costs mentality affected development until I worked abroad.

• 14 Our Toon // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:59 PM

LG

It’s a lengthy discussion, it seems to me we look at another country and think we’ll try it there way as it worked for them. It’s a complete joke, watching my nephew at the weekends before his season finished and the parents shouting and behaving like kids was an absolute disgrace. Kids just kicking the ball up the pitch “hoofball” and chasing it. I won’t ever go back to watch again

• 15 King Colback // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Our Toon
    You are so right

• 16 BandB // Jul 15, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Lil,

I worked for Dyke.
    Typical shallow corporatist suit with a talent for self-publicity.
    You get your five years to reinvent the wheel. You tear up everything your predecessor did and reintroduce everything his predecessor did as all your own work.
    Phoney.
    Sorry, call-me-Greg.
    But you were pure snake-oil.

• 17 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Lil, I wasn’t pulling you up at all, simply emphasising the disparity between Africa, Africans and the usually piss poor wages.
    Football means everything to the guys in Ghana, Ivory Coast and it was the same in Nigeria.
    If they could get a deal at any UK club, they and their extended families had security for life. Who can blame tham!!!

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:05 PM

BandB,
    Yup, that is what I have taken from dealings with the FA and from what I have heard/read re Dyke

OT,
    Win at all costs football. You play the biggest lad you have up top, and the tactics are get it to him asap so he can barrel through the opposition. Not football.

• 19 geordie157 // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Would love to see us sign abdennour, shaqiri and mitrovic.
    But
    Matip, Townsend and Austin will do.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Graeme,
    I know mate. It was to make an example, why should talented people be paid less because of where they were born? Conversely, why should people be paid more because they are born in the EU or the US?

I remember you being based in Nigeria, are you still there? I am heading to Ghana in October, invited by Right to Dream. NUFC play RtD in the ilk cup in Norn Iron this summer. Hopefully I will get to gloat!!

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:11 PM

BandB,
    Your description of Dyke is probably the exact job specification for the top suit at the FA.

• 22 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Lil, I was based in Nigeria, until they didn’t pay the bills, owing me £135K – such is life!! Now working on projects in Ghana, CDI and Mali, plus Niger and Cameroon bubbling under.
    Like you, I love being in Africa. I love the people and the culture and embrace it. You obviously adore what you are doing – all power to your elbow mate.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Graeme,
    Government owed? First thing I learnt was if it was government work get cash up front. The first one was an expensive mistake! Live and you learn.

• 24 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Good guess mate – A Government Hospital. Took them 6 months to pay the “Advance Payment” due on signing – then never paid a single invoice.
    You live, you learn – or you dont and you die lol

• 25 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM

All the up-coming projects, they pay, up front or the houses dont leave the factory. We dont even mobilize until the first 25 houses are paid for.

Once bitten, forever shy!!!

• 26 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Can’t personally see why they can’t introduce a ‘local grown’ in addition to ‘home grown’, say 5 squad members must originate from within a set boundary from the club.

As far as I’m aware, ‘home grown’ can include foreigners if they are trained for 3 years before they’re 21 (something like that). This doesn’t help English football, it only benefits the premier league.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Graeme,
    One of my first trading contracts was with the Government Agiculture and Livestock Development department. A 12 month supply contract, they paid the first 2 months and never paid again. Just under $200,000 owed. I now have legal rights to 3 department cars, but they have all been taken off the road before they could be seized.

I’m lucky, I have friend who are owed far more. Still, I wouldn’t anything else.

• 28 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Lil, yep, I have a friend who, in times of crisis – Most weeks in Nigeria – supplied the Hospital with 7 tankers of diesel, to keep the generators going. 2 years later, they still havent paid him as they refuse to pay the interest charges he has incurred due to their non payment. My friend is Nigerian, still lives there, but he is struggling.

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Yeah, I was promised payment on receipt of livestock sales. Never happened, I stopped supplying. I asked how there livestock were surviving and they nonchalantly told me they weren’t.

• 30 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Yep, know the feeling.
    The Hospital water treatment plant packed up a year ago, the Sewage Treatment Plant, 14 months ago. No maintenance contractors have been paid, the hospital is a disaster area.
    Would I go back? If they cleared their debt, agreed to pay monthly in advance – I would seriously consider it

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Graeme,
    I will get by, just about. But as with your friend, the same happens to locals who really can’t afford to lose that cash. i can’t, and I’m sure that you (at best) aren’t comfortable losing that. Still, same happens all over the world on differing scales.

• 32 Tsunki // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM

You don’t have to actually travel to Nigeria to be conned. They export you know.

I know this is controversial, but I’ve been to Egypt twice and it was fantastic. But there is no way in this life you’d ever get me back on the African continent. Nu-uh.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Graeme,
    Payment in advance of service would be the only way I’d deal with government again.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Tsunki,
    You are missing out! Many countries in Africa are incredible and the people and culture are great experiences. I’ve been all over the world, Africa and South America are without doubt the most interesting that I have experienced culturally comparatively to the UK

• 35 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Lil, that loss has cost me the start-up of three different projects. Losing £135K is one thing, but the knock on effect is well over £500K.
    Now that does piss me off.
    Being screwed as a one-off is all part and parcel of doing what I do. The knock on effect is something I will never recover and that screws my kids – which is not acceptable!!
    I have to be up and out in 6 hours – son has to catch train to Manchester for his 2nd interview. Very excited as he only graduated last Thursday.
    Take care, catch you again I’m sure.

• 36 Graeme // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Tsunki, Dont believe 95% of what you hear and dont let it put you off working overseas – it is an amazing thing to do. I left UK in 1979 to go to Ascension Island and have never looked back.
    Have worked all over, both my kids were born in Hong Kong and life is fantastic.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Graeme
    This was my first company, lost me a lot of investment through the government paying. Who invests in a 2 year old company that has an unpaid £100k hole in the accounts,

Anyway you make it work. Good luck to you and yours in the future!

All the best.

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Tsunki,
    Graeme is a veteran compared to me. If you get the opportunity give it a shot. Don’t write off Africa because of UK TV. I’m incredibly proud of where I’m from, but I love where I am and where I’ve been.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 16, 2015 at 12:00 AM

No offence Graeme!

• 40 2_goal_tino // Jul 16, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Never knew there were so many people working in W. Africa here. I work solely on projects in CdI, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Nigeria. Am UK ‘based’ but am travelling for work 4-5 months/year. Sounds like very different work than you guys… no government contracts involved… but have to deal with government officials every day.

• 41 Sazzer // Jul 16, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Reports in Portugal suggest Dutch defender Douglas could be set for a €2m move to Sporting from Dynamo Moscow.

• 42 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:07 AM

So what happen to the mitrovic deadline?

• 43 John Tudor // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:10 AM

recycled bananas to feed the donkeys @
    cb

• 44 Magpie Season // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:24 AM

So much talk of turning to English based players.
    Quite soon will we have a similar problem in registering 25 home grown players?

HG = Krul, Taylor, Williamson Colback, Lascelles, Dummett, Darlow, Elliot.

Might have missed 1 or 2. But remember, out of 8 HG players, 4 have to be HG at the club.

Think Haidara maybe classified as HG.

• 45 Magpie Season // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:27 AM

I think a move for Townsend would be quite sensible. The guy is still an England international & would be a step up from Gouffran & Obertan who are playing out wide.

And 40mil on 4 players for 10mil each? I would rather 20mil centre backs.

• 46 Magpie Season // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:28 AM

Graeme,

Asomoah Gyan 227,000 pounds per week. I thought the Chinese were an intelligent race.

• 47 Online Guy // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:43 AM

BandB

Well now , just had breakfast, going Bass fishing .
    I’m slowly going off Fishing… BTW, I always put them back unless I’m going to actually have a sea bass for supper, cooked on a wood fire on the beach the odd time , other than that I feel like a killer ..so put them back ever so gently…

Good Morning BandB..

I read your canny message to me late yesterday . Any message from you is appreciated as I respect most of what you stand for and what you post on the ere’ blog, ..really great writer .

In a strange moment of probably pythonesque Humour fuelled by patchouli oil and Weetabix, I pontificated , well not really in any sort of dogmatic way come to think of it , on the amount of Big Arses in the Newcastle side ..Mind the little skilful Mexican upstarts had a few massive big arses . , they were mostly little bloke’s, where they not ?

I’m hoping that I don’t catch a Bass with a big Arse as it will remind me of Anita .

I’m hoping to catch a Mermaid with a Big Arse and a delightful décolletage .

Dare I say Howay the lards-arses ? . Sorry .

• 48 Online Guy // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:17 AM

Just a thought, would it not be really entertaining to Pick up the Daily Mirror or any other Tabloid/Red Top… and find a few columns within… from writers on this Blog… ?

Great Entertainment !

Good morning all………Whoosh !

• 49 expatmag // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:23 AM

Magpie

On the subject of hone grown, from the current squad, you could also include Bigi, Ferguson, Vukic, Aarons, Armstrong and Satka

• 50 Toonfan8 // Jul 16, 2015 at 6:47 AM

we are in for that Chancel Mbemba from Anderlecht, can play CB and RB…one that scary on this case is his date of birth, he dont know when he was birth…its between 1988 to 1994…

• 51 firebug666 // Jul 16, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Well I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not expecting any more transfers until McClaren and the team return from America.

There is a saying that “No news is good news”; well not in this case it isn’t, we need signings, specifically defenders.

It’s probably true that Charnley and Co are working hard behind the scenes to get a deal done, so far they have checked out Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury and Morrisons but they still cannot find a jar of Nescafe in their price range.

• 52 thegaffer // Jul 16, 2015 at 7:42 AM

McLaren should target Rudiger & Abdennour. That will be a beast of a pairing!

• 53 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Morning all

Anything come of the rumours porto had sold Martinez for 35 mill last night ???
    If that is the case we can kiss Mitrovic’s ass goodbye

• 54 firebug666 // Jul 16, 2015 at 7:59 AM

jazzyp

Not sure at all about this Mitrovic deal, was he ever coming? His family came for a short holiday probably at the clubs expense, but Mitrovic himself has been nowhere near.

In fact he has been with his team mate on their tour the whole time. I would have thought that if he was giving us serious consideration he would have at least come over for a look around.

• 55 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Firebug
    Who knows mate what’s going off. Why has his agent been over as well and said his self that he wants a deal done. Everything points to his dad holding all the cards on his son moving wherever that may be.

Or it would make more sense that Mitrovic was told to wait by Porto. And as soon as Jackson Martinez was sold on they would buy him
    A lot of links for Mbemba today as well for 6 mill…..cracking buy if his age can be clarified

• 56 thegaffer // Jul 16, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Don’t know about you guys, but Wijnaldum does not excite me that much. I would rather have wished SMc went for Mateo Kovacic of Inter.

previous post: McClaren Fast Becoming A Big Fan Of This Striker