The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Breaking News: Reports Newcastle Win Race For Charlie Austin

3:33 pm, Thursday, July 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 130 Comments

It looks like Newcastle may have won the race to sign Charlie Austin from QPR,  as a number of bookmakers have just halted the betting on Austin moving to Newcastle.

Odds on the transfer were cut dramatically from 11/8 to 1/9 this morning on Paddy Power, and Betfair have already halted the betting, so it seems that Newcastle may have made their move for the striker, and it could be a successful move too.

charlie austin qpr

Charlie Austin – Newcastle seem to have won the race

Paddy Power have just issued this statement:

“After one of the most drawn transfer sagas of the summer, it looks like Newcastle have finally got their man with punters weighing-in behind Austin to join the Toon all morning.¨

And Sky Bet have also just suspended betting on Newcastle signing QPR striker Charlie Austin too, after previously reporting bets are now as short as 1/10.

The 26-year-old scored 18 Premier League goals in his debut season in the Premier League in just 35league appearances, and he is almost certain to leave Loftus Road after Rangers were relegated back to the Championship.

QPR want £15M for the former Swindon and Burnley striker, but Newcastle are said to be willing to pay around £12M, but it looks like they may have come to some agreement with QPR, for the betting to be at 1/10 on so quickly.

As a caution, a similar event happened on June 20th when the betting was halted on Austin joining West Ham United – but that didn’t happen.

It seems Newcastle have had Charlie Austin as their top striker target this summer, so it would be terrific if we can get him through the door – and soon.

Something must be going on with the betting now around 1/10 odds on that  he will join Newcastle.

Maybe this is one of the deals Steve McClaren has said is close at Newcastle?

We are still looking to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic from Anderlecht, with news in Belgium today that the deal is still on – and could even be closed any day now.

Signing Austin and Mitrovic in the next few days  seems like it’s even a possibility – where are those blood pressure tablets – quick!

If we can get Austin and Mitrovic through the door it’s a whole new ball game for Newcastle – in American speak.

And notice that signing Charlie will help show Aleksandar Mitrovic that Newcastle mean business next season.

Howay The Lads!!

130 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Charlie Austin move to #NUFC held up while Mitrovics Dad decides if its a good move for him

• 2 LooneyToon41 // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Skybet have suspended betting too after ‘significant’ wagers today.

• 3 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Charlie Austin move held up to #NUFC as he is unsure if OURTOON will take to him !!

• 4 Liono // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:37 PM

People saying Mitrovic > Austin because Austin’s a poacher: he’s scored 18 goals last year. I would be happy with Mitrovic but if Austin ‘poaches’ 18 for us i dont think we’ll care how they go in.

• 5 toonheroes // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Puts pressure on Mitrovics to make a decision. The ball is now in his court. If we don’t get him we’re good with Austin, if we get them both we’re flying.

• 6 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I thought Austin was in Italy with Qpr ???

• 7 Malackay // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:42 PM

I’m surprised at the depth of knowledge from some on here on the Serbian SuperLiga and Belgium pro-league. Surely one good season in the Premier League (Austin) is AT LEAST equivalent to a few good years in the two aforementioned leagues (Mitrovic).

I’m not saying Austin is way better but I’m surprised by the relative support for the two.

• 8 swemag // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

If this is true they have dropped Mitrovic.

• 9 Thump // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

So this means Mitrovic isn’t coming (unless Ashley’s had a bang on the noggin)

• 10 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Austin is not a one season wonder !!He has actually consistently scored goals the last 3 or 4 seasons for various teams 1 full season in the premiership and a couple in the Championship which is about the same standard as the Belgian league if not higher !

He has good link up play and does score different types of goals and if you watched him play against us at Loftus Road last season he can cross and pass very well as he got an assist from a peach of a ball in !

Mitrovic has the potential to be better but he does not really want to join us

• 11 Liono // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I dont think we’ll get both Mitrovic and Austin. Delighted if we do, but cant see Ashley spending another 12m on a striker when we have to buy 2+defenders.

• 12 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM

our toon so you dont think austin is an improvement on rivi

• 13 JamesToon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Just please nufc pay the money for austin

• 14 BandB // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM

One of the benefits of the preferred media partners arrangement is that they are actually a good guide to when something isn’t imminent.

The Mirror was sold a pup over Austin a few weeks ago. So it is possible for them to say something is on the launchpad when it isn’t.

So if if they aren’t reporting a breakthrough it is because nothing is imminent.

If something really IS imminent they aren’t likely to be scooped, especially by ITK websites.

The Mirror and Sky are likely to get first word from the club if something is breaking.

Sky reporting they have suspended betting isn’t the same as them reporting we’ve won the race for Charlie Austin.

• 15 Thump // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM

@Malackay: Austin is 26, Mitrovic is 20. A lot of learning to be done in those 5 years, and Mitrovic certainly seems to have a lot more ability/potential.

I feel like if Austin was as good as his plaudits suggest, he would have been poached by a prem club long before now (despite his late start in professional football)

• 16 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM

For me an improvement on what we already have is a striker who has an all round game as well as goalscoring, I think alot of you will realise very quickly that Austin can’t play with his back to goal. You’d think a striker who scored 18 goals in the prem and is an Englishman what be hot property amd clubs would be lining up to buy him.

So why have is it Leicester and now it seems like us are the only ones to bid for him?

• 17 swemag // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Mitrovic is young and is a potential superstar. Austin I have a feeling is at the top of his game and will not develop much further.

For that reason I prefer Mitrovic.

Mitrovic has shown with this delay that e is unsure about toon and cannot be all that excited about coming here.

For that reason I prefer Austin.

• 18 Thump // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Ah sod, 6 years.

That’s what I get for typing first and fact checking later (originally had Austin at 25, hence the Pardew up)

• 19 will die for the toon army // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Will b buzzing if we get both. We will have good strikers for next 5 years.
    Perez – Armstrong
    Rivere Jst being round for cover.

• 20 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

He’s an improvement on the squad as a whole but not on the starting XI. If it means Riviere is sold with Austin coming in then I’m happy. I suspect though he’s a direct replacement for Cisse who’ll be shipped off and that’s a 15m sideways step rather than a jump forward

• 21 toonheroes // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

We haven’t had two strikers with their confidence up for a long time.As well we have been relying on Armstrong as backup with all that pressure to perform last season. Austin , Cisse (if he stays), Riviere and Mitrovic would be a good set of options to have up front. Let Armstrong go on loan.

• 22 derekm // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:49 PM

If Mitrovic did come how long before his agent is trying to move him on – he obviously is’nt very keen so at least get someone who is proven and can see what potential being a number 9 in the north eats can be to his international chances.

• 23 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Austin or Riviere mmmm let me think about that one

• 24 NezzaNUFC // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM

I just know Newcastle will not sign both Austin and Mitrovic unless Cisse, Perez, Gouffran and Riv 2 of these get sold

• 25 lukes26 // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM

3 goals of the 18 were penalties…so its more like 15 goals in 35 games

he was playing on a very poor qpr team though

• 26 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

I personally would have liked us to go for another striker with the same attributes as Mitrovic seeing as he didn’t want to come, but we’ve turned to someone who is completely different to him in all aspects

• 27 Jamseyd24 // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Give me a good British player who has been tested in the Prem league any day. Get Austin and then a few CBs and I will be pretty pleased.

• 28 will die for the toon army // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Mitrovic is better than Austin. Mitrovic does not want. Kid has never talked abt our link all he talks abt is Benifica Porto Roma.

That has been disrespect. I hate such players we have fallen off the greed but still give us respect £13m we r paying aint small money.

• 29 Rainrix // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Lets be honest suspended betting doesn’t really mean much, i’d place it right alongside confirmation from lord cwarr07

• 30 Malackay // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Thump – Fair point on age, but given Newcastle are a selling club it is almost irrelevant. If Mitrovic improves exponentially in the next 5 years there is zero chance he will still be at NUFC so we are unlikely to reap the benefit. When comparing the two, I’m more concerned with current ability than expected.

Genuine question, what have you seen of Mitrovic to suggest he has a lot more ability or potential? Are you an avid fan of the leagues he has played in? I’m not on the wind up here as I know a few people who are actually big fans of Belgian football.

Given our last two seasons, character is vital to me when we sign players now. I know Austin has it, I don’t have a clue about Mitrovic but it has been reported that he “makes Balotelli look normal” (the quote was referring to his character rather than his ability).

• 31 SuperShearer // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM

@BandB I wouldn’t read too much into the preferred media partners being the first to break club stories. I used to work in sports journalism. We had a contact book full of agents’ numbers and you can pick up the phone to any of them and they’ll happily give you a story about one of their clients. Whether it’s true or not is something altogether different but it’s possible for an agent to have a preferred media partner without the club having any say in it.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM

We need this to be true !

• 33 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Derek M

I’d rather have players here who want to achieve things like playing at the very highest level of club football than players who are just happy to be here

• 34 Mister Tuff // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Why not be greedy and hope for both Austin and Mitrovic.
    Not sure about those who says Wally only plays one up front -we now have Cathro on board who may surprise us as to how we play.
    I’m sure Wally knows there is no point in having someone like Cathro on board if you disregard their input.
    I’m putting a lot of faith in Cathro after his previous manager described him as a visionary and a genius.
    I think we are going to get something completely different served up next season.
    However, new defenders are a must.

• 35 RooneyToons // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

It’s more his performances in Europe away at Dortmund and Arsenal where he bossed Hummels and Mertasacker.
    He’s a complete handful at 20 he could be one of the best in the world where as Austin isn’t as good as Cisse for example.

Mitrovic’s movement, power and finishing are already top notch and he can even drop his shoulder and beat a man.
    His pass rate is around 80% wheres as Austins is 65%.. not good enough

As for the Austin rumours the betting has been suspended twice already once for us and the hammers so I doubt it.

I think he’s a last resort

• 36 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

our toon cisse is not happy at newcastle to many of field problems he wants away

• 37 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

I hope this now means we can look to address the defence seeing as we are only capable of doing one thing at a time

• 38 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

I thought we were definitely after 2 forwards this summer ??

It was a year ago today I think we actually signed Riviere. Would be nice if a year after we bought him we sold him

• 39 Polarboy // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

@Our Toon. How are you so sure about Mitrovic? I’ve heard a few things about him that are encouraging but I have also seen a journalist that covers Belgium football who says it would be a risk. I’ve also seen some footage on youtube but that can be misleading. Plenty of player’s have looked good on youtube and scored plenty of goals in weak leagues and haven’t cut it in the premier. I mean if you’ve regularly watched the Belgian league it might be something but I doubt you have.

• 40 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Where have you got that information from mate regarding Cisse? Has the player come out and said so? Has he angled for a move?

As for off field problems, the reports of wives etc. He’s allowed upto 4 at the same time as part of his religion!!

• 41 nut meg // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Our Toon
    I don’t think Cisse will be sold until we get 2 new strikers in,atm we don’t have ANY new strikers……suspended betting only!

• 42 BandB // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I am well aware of that, as I was often the sports editor’s boss.
    My whole point is that they are a more reliable guide to when something ISN’T imminent than to when it is.

• 43 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Personally if we are about to bring in Austin I will welcome the lad rather than slating him before he has even kicked a ball for us.
    Give him a chance, How do you know he wont be a 15-20 goal a season man ??

• 44 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Polar boy

Because I follow world football and Mitrovic is rated as one of the best young talents in world football. Ive alsoe seen alot of both of them, let me put it this way

Mitrovic – offers by Porto, Roma NUFC

Austin – offers by NUFC & Leicester

• 45 Belfast // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM

It was suspended on him joining West ham a few weeks ago. It means absolutely nothing.

• 46 NezzaNUFC // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM

You say you use to work in sport journo but only yesterday you stated that Perez was not a natural striker but more of a winger.

No offence mate but did you get the sack?

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Until I see it on I’m sceptical

• 48 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM

I’ve not slated him, just stated what I believe to be a fact that he’s not an improvement in the starting XI. I’ll happily welcome all players to nufc whether I think they are good enough or not

• 49 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM

rooney he is all the things you say but he is also a risk he wants porto we would be second choice he might not settle the prems a big step having said all that why can we not have both we need them

• 50 scottoon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM

My guess is that Ashley, through channels, has placed the short odds bets in an effort to ramp up the pressure on Mitrovic to make a decision.

• 51 tooned in // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Read this blog a lot but very rarely comment as i have little time – love the arguments

Bit of ITK for you but i am a west country boy and it is common knowledge down here that he is on his way for a medical – his mates have ‘apparently’ been putting money on it all yesterday as word spread.

Good news as i think he will fit in well with Mitrovic with Cisse to back up – Riv’s to go on loan to french Club IMO get some confidence ( I would send him to a farm with a Cows Backside!!)

Been waiting all day for some nugget on Mitrovic and this hits :):)

• 52 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Ideally I’d want a lukaku, benetke type forward, mitrovic has the potential to be in that mould but if he doesn’t wanna join then get someone else with them attributes.

• 53 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:02 PM

alot here have forgotton how many times sky have suspended betting but nothing materialised.

get real. this means nothing.

• 54 Liverpool Mag // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if this was just a way of getting a response out of Mitrovic. Austin isn’t a bad striker so we either would get Mitrovic in, which would be great or we get Austin in which would be good. Either way we get an improvement on the current strike force. And if Gouffran or Riviere get shipped out then that’s even better

• 55 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM

@luke 3 of his goals were pens so it’s more like 15 goals? Wtf are you on about lad any striker will tell you it doesn’t matter how you score only that you score. What you saying would be like saying half of Shearers goals were pens so just take them away….. Austin was my first choice brilliant striker and for a bargain price. Austin had a brilliant season last year far better than Benteke and is valued at £15m how do you work that one out? He is a steal and will get bags of goals for us hopefully.

• 56 Malackay // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM

I’m not saying Mitrovic is a bad player. He may very well be a world beater. I’ve seen him a couple of times and he has looked impressive, I’ve also watched a few games where he goes missing and gets the hump.

I refer back to my character point, you will always know you’ve been in a game against Austin and for those who say he is “just a goalscorer” like Cisse, I’d have to disagree. He holds the ball up well and works the channels very very well. Both are perquisites of an effective lone striker!

RE: betting being suspended, I used to work for SkyBet a few years back, if they receive one to five “max bets” on a selection in these transfer markets they cut the price massively and pull it very quickly as they have no competitive edge vs punters. They have no affiliation with SkySports reporters and I even think they are no longer owned by BSkyB having recently just been sold.

• 57 CaptPot // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM

Did the bookies also not close down the odd’s on Vierra being our new manager??, I’ll believe this when I see him at STJ holding his black and white shirt.

I’ve just read that the Mit deal is held up because he (his Dad) wants more money per week than what’s on the table (27k), if you think about it, R Taylor has left and he was on 35k, why not offer him a starting package at 30k pw and if he scores more than 20 goals a season then he gets a 5k per week pay rise and his goal bonus goes up 10%, let’s dangle a carrot for him.

• 58 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM

I thought quite a few betting sites had suspended betting?

I wish we’d bring on CB’s though

• 59 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:05 PM

our toon its well reported he wants out as for the 4 wives not in the uk

• 60 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Get in! About time aswell.

• 61 NezzaNUFC // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Perez, Austin, Mitrovic

Superb strike force I reckon

Ship out Cisse, Riv and Gouffran for this to happen and let the good times roll.

• 62 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

It has become quite obvious you don’t rate Austin over the last few weeks with your views about him.
    All I am saying is give the lad a chance and hopefully he will prove you wrong mate. If Cisse gets injured again we are let with Riviere, And all last season’s woes in front of goal will start again. And again it has been stated we are apparently after 2 forwards so Mitrovic might still be on the cards.
    McLaren did state that 2 signings were close the other night so maybe this is one of two

• 63 SuperShearer // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

@Nezza – never said anything about Perez yesterday mate. You sure you’re not thinking of Shadow Shearer? And no, never been sacked, always been freelance, worked in many different fields doing copywriting for a lot of different publications.

• 64 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Most of the reports come from the sun who have had a campaign going against muslim players for 18 months now. These reports then get picked up by other news outlets

• 65 Bobbybee // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Amazing. Throughout the time we were after Mitrovic, people didn’t want him ahead of Austin, because he had no PL experience. ‘Just pay the Money QPR want’ people moaned. Now it looks like we might be prepared to pay that money, he’s not as good as Mitrovic suddenly. The mind boggles. HTL!!!

• 66 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Jazzy p

As I’ve said if this means we get 2 forwards then it’s good, but if he’s the only one coming in with Cisse going out then it’s a sideways step

• 67 KevinLee // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Mitrovic still asking with his mom & drink milk

• 68 Polarboy // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

@Our Toon. If Roma wanted him and rated him that highly they would be going after him and not Dzeko. A player from the Belgian league can be highly rated but he has still only played in the Belgian league, and well the Serbian one, but you get my point. As for who has come in for both in a general sense neither would be guaranteed starters in Champions league teams apart from some of the weaker leagues. That fact could play into who has come in for Austin at least given that he most likely wants to play.

• 69 Belfast // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Malackay is 100% correct. They’re all the same, Shit scared of losing money. It means nowt.

• 70 NezzaNUFC // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Sorry mate it might off been him I get confused with the some of the similar names on here.

• 71 scottoon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM

I am not too fussed whether it is Austin, or Mitrovic, or both. I would prefer Mitrovic if the defence situation was sorted but until then I am ambivalent about the other signings. I cant understand how we are not making stronger moves for the centre halves we so desperately need.

• 72 voodoo85 // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Malackay – yes, you’re right. SkyBet are no longer part of BSkyB – they were bought by CVC who also own Formula 1

• 73 jazzyp // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Agree mate if that is the case then Nufc have solved nothing. But I do genuinely think Austin could do a job for us. Especially with De jong and Wini behind him.

• 74 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM

I’ve also said about Austin that I’d wait until the end of the window or January because he’ll be going for alot cheaper than he is now. The lad is in his final year of contract and we are paying 15m? In Jan he’d cost 5m next summer he’s free. Last day of window he could be 10m…..15m now is steep especially when the defence should be priority

• 75 SuperShearer // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM

@Nezza – no worries mate. For the record I wouldn’t call Perez a winger, wouldn’t call him an out-an-out striker yet either mind…. but that might be because he was operating under tactics handed to him by “the best coach in the league”.

• 76 Jamseyd24 // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM

I think its a good shout that Cisse will be sold as soon as Austin or another striker signs. For me Cisse is pants and we should cash in now while he is still worth a few quid.

• 77 will die for the toon army // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM

R Taylor was on 35k before tax

• 78 NezzaNUFC // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Mitrovic asking his parents!

Austin asking the enemy ( the wife )!

Lose lose situation here guys!

• 79 nut meg // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM

I think the 27k per week is tax free from what I’ve read.

• 80 RooneyToons // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM

The last Anderlecht striker to come to the Prem is Lukaku and he actually scored 10 less goals in a better team… all be it at a year younger but you get my drift.

Everyone’s slagging him off as if he’s definitely waiting for another offer where as the most obvious thing from the information we have is that our bid isn’t enough.

All we know is he was gonna sign a 5 year deal and that what we’ve offered isn’t enough so it the club dragging their heels not Mitrovic and his entourage.

I think we’re just refusing to pay more and biding our time, which is fair enough

For those of you saying we must of had a bid accepted to agree terms well its doesn’t work like that anymore just look at Van Persie

• 81 Jib // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:14 PM

If Austin is coming , it ties in with the 48 hour ultimatum stories.

• 82 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Do you not think cisse could do more with De Jong and Wijinaldum playing behind him? After all he wasn’t the pen taker here amd still managed to get 11 league goals with 1 knee

• 83 lukes26 // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Not excited about Austin, he seems to be a really good poacher and almost always strikes the ball cleanly…but thats it

pass percentage of 66% is just bad. Top CF’s have a percentage around 85% …even Cisse has a percentage of 78%

and his ball control is ok, but not great

• 84 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM

@our toon Les Ferdinand made it pritty clear £15m or he is spending a season in the Championship with them. When you look around like benteke going for £32.5m you honestly can’t say £15m for Austin is dear even with 1 year left. There is not a mission he will go for £5m I guarantee you if we don’t get him an benteke is sold villa will take him for the £15m

• 85 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM

our toon nothing to do with muslim players cisse 29 looking for his last big pay day ……….i would not hold cisse up as a good muslim he gambles he drinks he foracites……… a good no not muslim

• 86 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Rooney toon

I found the rvp thing bizarre, press conference held, ground press conference as well but no fee agreed

• 87 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM

no not a good muslim

• 88 CaptPot // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM

It was reported as being 35k per week, before or after tax?? I don’t know, but it’s still a canny bit for a average squad member.

• 89 Jib // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM

You cannot beat a good foracite

• 90 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM

What’s the news on Mitrovic?

• 91 geordiejp // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Mitrovic was offered 27K guranteed after tax so you can basically double that figure to get his gross salary.

• 92 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM

QPR are looking at a fine of 50m+ for FFP, Ferdinand and Fernandes won’t want to lose him on a free, they are stupid…they’ve been waiting for someone daft enough to pay that much money and it looks like us.

As for Benteke I hope that was a joke bud, he came back from an injury which kept him out for 6 months. Played for an ultra defensive Lambert, as soon as he left and Sherwood came in Benetke scored more goals to games played. Benetke all round game is so much better as well

• 93 Jib // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Mitrovic was offered €2million per annum

• 94 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Most Muslims drink gamble etc, I’m speaking as muslim myself. If you open up the Sun paper they’ll have a minimum of 2 articles a day which are anti Islam…..doesn’t matter whether cisse is a good muslim or not.

• 95 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Sounds like good money!

• 96 davetoon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:26 PM

How many centre backs did we buy today?

• 97 Jail for Ashley // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Væry gøød mønæy.

• 98 Jib // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

If you take off his agents 10%
    It works out at about £27,000 per week before tax , quite low actually .

• 99 Belfast // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM

What’s the news on Mitrovic?

What’s the news on toon from leeds ?

• 100 hibbit // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

our toon i work to hard for my money to waste it on the sun

• 101 Malackay // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Whilst it’s good we seem to have a firm interest in a number of Strikers, I’m becoming increasingly concerned that we don’t seem interested in addressing our defensive issues, especially given Williamson’s reported performance, Colo’s age, Saylors lack of ability and Lascelles’ inexperience. We are desperate for at least 1 CB, arguably 2 and perhaps even a left back.

Surprised we have no interest in the likes of Kaboul at £3m. I still think Chester might end up at NUFC. I’m hoping Vlaar comes in on a free (has he still not signed elsewhere?) and we spend decent money on a top CB.

• 102 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM

@ourtoon the teams that got Relegated this season got like £60m . And Austin suppost to love qpr and I bet if they offered him a new contract with a 1 year wage cut he would probably do it. Few players done it with us when we went down. Charlie Austin scored 18 premier league goals in a Sh!t team. Benteke had been playing sh!t even before the injurie and is no way worth £32.5m id rather pay £15m for Austin any day of the week in fact if I was to choose between Austin and benteke regardless of money if pick Austin. How can he even be so under rated? He was in the sky team of the season his goals were top class. .. Anyone remember the 1 he took touch in mid air pulled it around the defender and hit the net not very many strikers could have done that.

• 103 Jib // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM

My ae was a mistake Jesper – honestly

• 104 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM

@Our Toon

Could that same argument not be applied to Austin then ? He was playing under the useless Red Knob for most of the first half of the season who had other players not trying for him!

Same with Ramsey not exactly a great coach 18 goals under those 2 fools is a more than decent return same with Cisse getting 11 goals under the chuckle brothers here last season

• 105 davetoon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:34 PM

And I always laugh when I see people quote bookies.
    do you realise that every time you quote a bookie you are giving them at least 10,s of thousands of dollars of poor peoples money.
    and they love it when those posts are re-printed in popular blogs such as this. Money can’t buy that exposure.
    So you can see why you would take it with a pinch of salt.

• 106 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Even wor Shearer wants him here and I’m sure he knows a thing or two about a striker by watching him.

• 107 CaptPot // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM

I thought it was something like that.

So 50k per week at 20 years old??, sound canny to me and a hell of a lot better than all of this waiting for a team that plays in the CL nonsense!!!.

• 108 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Austins 100 goals so far not just 3 yard tap ins some of them are quality

What it does show is a variety of goals with him being in the right place at the right time

• 109 Jib // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:39 PM

“every time you quote a bookie you are giving them at least 10,s of thousands of dollars of poor peoples money.”

“And for anyone whos in the know you would know that these so called big fluctuations are literally bets of 20 quid”

Can you see the contradiction in these two paragraphs ?

• 110 jayphoto // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Anyone know Austins chance conversion rate?
    From what I saw last year QPR actually created a fair few chances, their problem was conceding.
    If the club are spending 15m and Carr and McClaren have both said they think he’ll be successful then that’s fine with me! Premier league experience, the right age, English… Nothing saying they won’t take Austin and Mitrovic? Well known they’re looking for 2 strikers.
    Even if Rivi and Cisse stay we probably need 2. Most clubs will have 4 strikers on the books and I’d bet money that McClaren plays Riviere wide. SM loves an inverted wide forward and Rivi was excellent for St Ettiene and Toulouse wide

• 111 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM

It’s pritty obvious I you watched Austin last season him joining us would be like effect Demba Ba had when he joined.

• 112 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Jeff…wasn’t it £27k after tax?

Pipe it gloatboy!

• 113 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Jeff…no prop!

I though I read somewhere it was after tax

• 114 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM

@our toon just 1 last thing you say £15m for him with 1 year left on his contract is dear why would you even say that? MA has been milking the club for years and I would be loving it if we spent £40m on Nicolas Benthner. As long as we spend it in happy after all it’s our money not MA’s

• 115 Toon-Barmy // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Interesting article about our transfer targets:

• 116 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Jay…Mitrovic and Austin would do it for me 🙂

• 117 ~A Riviere of Goals~ // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Any news on Tranquillo Barneta? Has he been found?

• 118 davetoon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Jef – markets such as Next manager, sacked manager or other such prop bets like signing players are not real betting markets for bookies.

They are for attracting new customers only.

Real markets are football games, horse races, etc.

• 119 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Belfast…I told you not to ask Ibiza who’s hiding at his place

• 120 Our Toon // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM

We are a club that doesn’t spend much money or we live within our means. So paying 15m for Austin who’s in the final year of his contract is not a good deal as we could get him for alot less in 6 weeks time….even less in 6 months time and for free in 10 months time.

I’d rather spend good money on 2 CB’s and then look at the striker situation, Austin is going to cost more money than Mitrovic in terms of fee and wages buddy.

• 121 lesh // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM

You’re forgetting that Saylor’s prone to dropping major clangers as well as injuries.

He’d be better kept as a squad player or moved on.

• 122 mickalfas // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Could it be that we are trying to show that we are indeed trying to better ourselves
    Mitrovic ,are you listening?
    CB’s on way?

• 123 WWSBRD // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Austin and Mitrovic would be marvellous then just the defence to sort

• 124 Moonraker15 // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Jeff jib jesper

28k a week nett ! = about 1.4 million pa after tax. More than doubles his money plus god knows what signing on sweetener!

• 125 Moonraker15 // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM

* sorry 27k a week freakin tablet !

• 126 nightfa11 // Jul 16, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Not fussed about austin..Hes ok..But not worth 15 Mio..

Id prefer mitrovic or carroll, But austin is an ok target man..

Now lets forget about mitro, and go for berahino..

• 127 bladeuser // Jul 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Jordan rhodes is faster stronger and much better than austin also younger and would cost around 5mil less

• 128 Sazzer // Jul 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Cisse, Austin and Mitrovic are all good strikers.

• 129 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM

People, don’t get excited about austin until we have seen him hold a newcastle top. Remember this imaginary line!!

• 130 Sav // Jul 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Good to hear Mac making encouraging comments about Cisse and Sissoko. Is he sending out a message he doesn’t want either of them sold to balance imaginary books? The one to sell, while he still has any currency, has got to be Riviere. Arma to go on loan if we sign 2 new strikers and keep Cisse. A bigger conundrum for Mac and Cathro is how to use Perez, de Jong and Wijnaldum. We also need to clear out Gouffran and Obertan unless our coaches can finally get some end product out of either one.

previous post: Poll – There’s A Firm Favorite Among Fans For Newcastle Captain