The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player Opens Up About His Frustrations

2:23 pm, Thursday, July 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

Siem de Jong in his first season at Newcastle went through hell and high water,  and he had various injuries which kept him out of the side and then last February he suffered a collapsed lung for the second time in 18 months.

However there is good news in that they immediately operated on him to fix the cause of his collapsed lung and that seems to have been fixed, and he is fit and playing now for Newcastle in pre-season, and he seems to be really enjoying it.

The 26 year-old Dutch International joined us a year ago from Ajax for  £6M.

siem de jong gatehead

Siem de Jong – fully fit now

It must have been so frustrating for the 6 times capped Dutch International, and he has opened up about his trials and tribulations today:

“It’s going to be a really important season for me.”  “The key thing is to stay fit, and I’ll be doing all I can to play as much as I can.”

“I want to play a lot of games this season and forget last season. It was a tough season for me personally, and also the team. I hope I can help the team a little bit more this season.”

“I started off pretty good in pre-season, and got injured straight away.”  “The fans expect a lot when you come to a new club.”

“I was frustrated, not only for myself but for my team-mates, the fans and the club.I hope for a different season this year.”

“I’m feeling good,”  “I need games. I played a couple at the end, and also with the U-21s, but I needed a new pre-season, and that’s what I’m getting now.”

And then Siem talked about the game in Tuesday night, when we were a but unlucky to go down 2-1 to Club Atlas at Miller Park in Milwaukee:

“I had a good 70 minutes against Club Atlas – the training sessions are hard and good.” “I’m improving. I’ll look to get 90 minutes in – in the next couple of weeks.”

“I think it was a good challenge for us,” “It was a difficult game, but you need that in pre-season.” “Unfortunately, we didn’t win. In the second half, we could have equalized, but we didn’t.”

“It was a good game and a good continuation of pre-season.” “First half we started well until the penalty, and they were getting a little on top. We had a difficult period.”

“Just before half time was a good moment to score, and we came out a little better.”  “It was a nice stadium, and there were a lot of fans,”

“It was good to see so many people watching the game.” “It makes it nicer for us and makes the game more special.”

De Jong played well a year ago when he first arrived, and he obviously has class and that’s what we didn’t have a lot of last season.

His absence was one reason we had such an awful season, so we are hoping he and Rolando Aarons will be fit and remain uninjured throughout this coming season.

Fingers crossed.

Rolando was another player whose season was cut very short by hamstring injuries, after he was outstanding in pre-season and he made an excellent 17 minute cameo appearances last Tuesday night.

Hopefully Newcastle can climb that league table next season and finish in the top eight.

That’s what we need.

Howay The Lads!!

Note: Thanks to reader Lewis Spiers, who has kindly set up the Fantasy League for our readers.

The code is 157085-73868 and readers can set up the league here.

Tags: Daryl Janmaat · Friendlies · Injuries · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 hatem786 // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Dear …..,

We have now made the journey from Milwaukee to Sacramento having completed the first leg of our US tour and the travel has given me an ideal opportunity to let you know how things are going.

We’ve really enjoyed being in the United States so far. Talking to supporters, they are delighted to see the players here and to get the opportunity to watch them train and play.

We had a lot of supporters down to see us training in Milwaukee on Monday and even more inside Miller Park for our first game against Club Atlas on Tuesday. There were a lot of black and white shirts around – and a lot of people with American accents wearing them, which is great to see – and they created a fantastic atmosphere.

Tuesday night’s game against a strong, physical Club Atlas team was a very good workout for us. It was just what we needed at this stage of pre-season and we got through 70 minutes at a good tempo.

It took us a little while to adjust. Atlas are a good side. They were quick and direct and you could see they were ahead of us in their pre-season preparations. Once we adjusted, we dominated the second half especially and created good chances.

steve mcclaren

We were good with the ball. We had the courage to play; the players wanted the ball.

That said, I didn’t think in the first half that we were good without the ball. Atlas were very aggressive, they won more duels and tackles and broke up play more than us. At half time, I said to the players that they have to look after themselves but they must make sure they compete. They certainly did that in the second half. We were aggressive back and there was only one team in it after that.

The performance at this point is obviously important, but so was the spirit. We were 2-0 down after a short time and the players’ heads could’ve dropped. But we stayed in the game. We got a deserved goal back just before half time and we looked like scoring again.

Ultimately, we’ve come through unscathed with no injuries and I’m very pleased about that. Our aim is to give the players as many minutes as possible as we head deeper into pre-season.

I thought the end of the game was great in terms of being able to see fans again and for those in the stadium to get closer to the team. The players went around the stadium and signed autographs, took photos and really took their time doing so.

That’s important. As well as preparing, we are also here to see people who haven’t seen the team for some time or who are watching the club for the first time. The people of Milwaukee and the supporters who have travelled to see us so far have been fantastic.

We are now in California ahead of Saturday’s game and we have two days to prepare for it. We have watched Sacramento Republic and it will be a different game but equally as challenging, particularly in such warm temperatures. We had a test against Atlas and we’ll get one on Saturday. We have also welcomed Gini Wijnaldum to the group today and I’m sure you’re all very excited to see him get started.

There’s a long way to go for us all. We need to continue building fitness levels over what is a relatively short pre-season.

We have to build a winning culture and a good environment, build the team and get them on board with what we’re trying to accomplish. We want the players to have attitude and to fight for every minute.

The signs I’ve seen from the team are that the players are taking on board what we’re telling them, what we’re coaching them. If the players keep up the attitude and spirit they’ve shown me, it will take us a long way.

I look forward to updating you again soon.

Best wishes,

Steve McClaren

Head Coach

• 2 CypriotDelight // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:29 PM

I love Pathos Slank – I must have driven past your place going to Coral Bay and the Zoo etc.

Was last year hotter? I can’t remember…The past couple of weeks I have started suffering ha ha
    Was walking home from work thinking the boys must be feeling it in USA!

• 3 Liverpool Mag // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Hi all, long time reader, first time commenter. With reference to de Jong I’m hoping the new training system will mean that we will see less injuries this season because they’re no longer just going ‘Run, run, run’ in Saylors words.

It would be great to have him and Gini in the squad, although not sure how they’re going to work together, but I’m excited to find out!

• 4 kevymartins // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM

So Jackson Martinez from Porto to Athletico Madrid for £35m. Porto has more than enough for Mitrovic now so expect that to happen.

• 5 deeps // Jul 16, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Austin now 1/10 to join us..

• 6 WLtoon // Jul 16, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I would forget about Mitrovic,he aint coming,he is being guided by his parents and they dont seem keen for one or 2 reasons,maybe wanting more money being the main reason.
    I was excited and a tad sceptical when the window opened,i thought Ashley,s speech was a mark of desperation to get the fans on his side for obvious reasons.
    Looking at the way the window is shaping up ,i think we are going to be way short of my expectations.
    I think we will be lucky to bring in a decent CB,an area which always seems to get overlooked, we are desperate, and i think we may get a 2nd rate striker at the last minute simply bcos every other target was either too expensive or was,nt interested.
    My predicted team for Southampton is ….
    Janmaat Colo Dummett Haidara

Sissoko Wijnaldum Colback Aarons

Cisse Ayoze

I think De Jong will be injury prone so ive left him out,
    I know ile be slated by some bloggers for my ream selection but hey, lets see sensible alternatives..

previous post: Wijnaldum Jets In – Siem De Jong Praises New Signing