McClaren – Players Beginning To Understand What I Want


There was a good interview yesterday with Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren, as he talked about the game on Tuesday night, but more importantly about the way the Newcastle players are slowly but surely understanding the new way he wants the team to play with good possession football and quick passing.

Steve mcclaren    -590841

Steve McClaren – players starting to understand

This is what Steve said, talking initially about the 2-1 loss to Club Atlas:

“I didn’t think in the first-half we were very good without the ball. I thought they were very aggressive.¨ 

“They won duels, they won more tackles than us, they broke the play more than u,s and at half-time we said: ‘Look after yourselves but, hey, you have to compete.”

“Once they did that in the second-half there was only one team in it.¨ “I was disappointed with the goals, disappointed – we need to be a better team without the ball.”

“We were in the second-half; we pushed on and pressed more compact, better shape, and dominated the game from the on.”

“There were signs that the players are taking on board what the coaches are asking them to do which is encouraging. They were brave and encouraged to play.¨ 

“As I say, we need to improve without the ball and be a better team. We did in the second-half and we need to continue that.”

Newcastle play Sacramento Republic in their third pre-season friendly tomorrow night at Bonney Field, and they are not an MLS club.

They were formed three years ago and play in a lower league – the United Soccer League (USL), and we may even see Georginio Wijnaldum make his first appearance for Newcastle.

The Dutchman certainly looked good in training yesterday, as he scored this great goal.

We could see how well he links up with former Dutchman Siem de Jong, who is also a class player and fit again after the trials and tribulations he had last season with various injuries.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

111 comments so far

  • Rotonda heights

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:14 AM

    Comment #1

    our toon

    exactly. hopefully we’ll now finally move away from the god awful long ball containing rubbish and see some actual pass and move football being played at long last.

    Trouble is even a team with KK’s attacking principles couldn’t cover for colo, willo and saylor.

    0
  • King Colback

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM

    Comment #2
  • Lilongwe Geordie

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:22 AM

    Comment #3

    King Colback,
    The headline makes me think they have no real idea about what is going on. QPR have stated we have not made an offer, so how can we raise the offer? It is just guess work on ESPN’s part due to the betting being suspended.

    0
  • honest fan

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM

    Comment #4

    Because if he goes to Chelsea over Porto imo it would be a money thing his says he wants cl football and nice weather well Chelsea don’t have nice weather and he’d prob only FA cup and league cup games surely he ain’t better than what they have already which would surgest we didn’t offer enough

    0
  • JDdubai

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:26 AM

    Comment #5

    Honest Fan

    Maybe he is confident enough to think he can get game time with chelsea. Falcao was crap last season, Remy will probably leave, Costa has had injury issues.

    For a 20yr old, go there, get experience, maybe take a loan for a season or 2 like courtois did and come back as first choice.

    Doesnt necessarily mean he is only after the paycheck and certainly doesnt mean we didnt offer enough.

    0
  • hibbit

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:28 AM

    Comment #6

    honest fan were is the story about chelsea wanting mits coming from not seen it anywhere

    0
  • nut meg

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:30 AM

    Comment #7

    hibbit
    I’ve seen it but can’t remember where? I’have another look for it.

    0
  • nut meg

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM

    Comment #8

    hibbit
    Not the one I but the same story… sort of.

    0
  • BandB

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM

    Comment #9

    hibbit

    If you click the News Now button there are various versions of it there.

    0
  • hibbit

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM

    Comment #10

    lilo its over a week since sir les said we had not bid ….maybe we have in the meantime …..or maybe its wishful thinking

    0
  • nut meg

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:33 AM

    Comment #11
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM

    Comment #12

    Honest fan

    If he went to Chelsea he’d be playing under the best manager in world football, someone who will go into the hall of fame as a great in terms of management. Costa was mainly rested for CL last season and Remy played in that competition.

    0
  • hibbit

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:36 AM

    Comment #13

    thanks lads found it

    0
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:36 AM

    Comment #14

    Rotonda

    We could buy Messi and Ronaldo and still lose more than we win, the defence should have been priority no1. Problem is we seem completely incapable of doing more than 1 thing at a time

    0
  • nut meg

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM

    Comment #15

    Our Toon
    I would think that Mitrovic meant he wanted to play in the team every week for a team that qualifies for the CL.

    0
  • ToonRich

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:39 AM

    Comment #16

    Would rather spend £15mil on Gabi Barbosa!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbQHQsRXKM

    0
  • optimistic prime

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM

    Comment #17

    Linked with well over a 100 players yet we’re still on the merry go round with the same two.

    3weeks to push and not a CB in sight,
    Does this window still look promising?

    0
  • beermonkey

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM

    Comment #18

    it maybe true that Chelsea want to sign mitrovic it doesn’t mean he will play for them, he could be the next lakaku,
    Chelsea have lots of players out onloan each season, depends how bad we want him we could loan him

    not that I would want to loan him

    0
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:45 AM

    Comment #19

    Net meg

    He could sign for Chelsea and they could loan him to Porto or Roma as part of his education. Served them well with Courtouis

    0
  • OneAlanShearer

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM

    Comment #20

    I wouldn’t believe a word club call say. Espn might be closer to the truth.

    0
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:49 AM

    Comment #21

    OP

    I’ve been banging on about the same thing for a while now, we’ve been completely duped in this constant drivel regarding Mitrovic or Austin when in all reality we need 2 CB’s.

    Personally I wouldn’t be to unhappy with Cisse, Perez, SDJ (if needed to play advanced role), Riviere as the attacking options until January. The defence however needs addressing now

    0
  • musomag

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:50 AM

    Comment #22

    If Chelsea have bid £15m then Mit will go there for all the same reasons as most strikers. We’ll be pursuing Remy again before you know it

    0
  • lesh

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:54 AM

    Comment #23

    Maybe Charnley’s taking advantage of McClaren’s absence and reverted to type – doing bugger all ’til his backside’s kicked!

    0
  • optimistic prime

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM

    Comment #24

    Our toon

    As much as I’d like a striker I could live with what we have as long as we didn’t sell anyone, can’t say that about CB’S

    When I say live with It mean I’d be used to it.

    This window is shaping to be the same as the rest, lots of hot air but no real movement.

    I said last week toungue in cheek there’d be no signings until we get back from the USA, looks like that was closer to the truth than I thought.

    0
  • Jib

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM

    Comment #25

    optimistic prime
    From next Tuesday it is 6 weeks until the window closes .

    0
  • Lilongwe Geordie

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM

    Comment #26

    If the club don’t sign at least 1 centre forward and 2 defenders of a high standard then the window will once again have been a disappointment, and will leave us ill equipped for the season ahead.

    We need these players in before the Sheffield United game on the 26th so that they have a chance to be incorporated into the side. Will it happen? I won’t be holding my breath.

    0
  • musomag

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:58 AM

    Comment #27

    Probably…or letting teams pay big money for all our supposed targets and waiting until the deadline before putting insulting offers in for players who look to be left on the shelf

    0
  • hibbit

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:58 AM

    Comment #28

    our toon …..the back 4 should have been sorted weeks ago Mc must see the problems we need 2 cb asp and cover for the lb / rb……. but not a word from the club and very little in the press ……are we in for a big surprise or a big let down…… i just dont know

    0
  • Bri

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM

    Comment #29

    Talksport say NUFC have not yet bid for Austin, wonder if this is true

    0
  • croftus5678

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM

    Comment #30

    oh ffs now chelsea in for mitrovic !

    just leave the bloody deal now and take the offer off the table he would go to the big spenders anyways so no point wasting any more time ! i’m just cheesed that he’s dragged his feet so long that we have wasted a lot of time and energy around another failed signing 🙁

    if we dont get any of mitrovic/dost/austin what a waste of a window it will have been as usual.

    need a player to sign to keep us motivated and believing again please.

    0
  • padthemag

    Jul 17, 2015 at 9:59 AM

    Comment #31

    Wtf is going on we need another 4-5 players and we can’t even land a striker after 4 years of trying??? Mackems signed younes kaboul that would be an upgrade on colo or willo we are p!ss poor in the transfer market wiljandum will probs be it we have let 5 go£&@££!! Season tickets must have sold since the Dutch guy came in typical nufc fans

    0
  • will die for the toon army

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM

    Comment #32

    Jst get a striker and CB.

    0
  • Bambams

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM

    Comment #33

    We are not the quickest club for signing targets

    0
  • Offkey

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM

    Comment #34

    21 days to first game and 46 days until end of transfer window. Whilst I think we will get players in I dont think that many will be in before our first match, hope I am proved to be wrong. It could be the case our first couple of games our poor because we have not got the bodies or because they have not had time to gel.

    0
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:03 AM

    Comment #35

    Jib

    The domestic window opened on 9th June almost 6 weeks ago, the European window opened 17 days ago. In that time we’ve managed to bring in 1 player. Considering how bad last season was, you might be happy to wait 6 weeks but I want them in now as pre season is so important to build understanding etc. The defensive unit takes time to work as a team, they need to communicate with each other and understand each others game. Do you really want that to happen after the season starts?

    0
  • optimistic prime

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM

    Comment #36

    Jib

    That means nothing

    If you really wanted to go to a popular concert would you wait until the last week to buy a ticket?

    0
  • Jail for Ashley

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM

    Comment #37

    Unless we had of brought in Warnock or Burley (which was always possible under Mike Ashley) anyone would have been an upgrade on Carver. We have ended up with a sacked Championship manager who failed to get Derby promoted two years running despite spending a few quid. It is great having this new found optimism but why are some people heralding this as the start of a new era, a 14.5M player is more indicative of the new PL TV money rather than the fat man’s new ambition. Let’s not get carried away by a two minute interview. I seen new poster bobbylee ranting last night about some people wanting us to fail, nothing could be further from the truth. The reason many of us are so disenchanted from the club is because we are sick of seeing us deliberately fail orchestrated by the man in charge.

    0
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #38

    Hibbit

    I’ll go with big let down mate, it’s truly shocking how we have the same CB’s that got us relegated…We have the same CB’s for almost 9 years

    0
  • kevymartins

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #39

    Someone yesterday said we shouldn’t pay that for Austin we could get him cheaper. As I said QPR made it clear £15m or no one gets him regardless of contract because of they really wanted he would sign up for a year in the championship

    http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ferdinand-confirms-qpr-considering-new-contract-offer-to-austin-as-newcastle-speculation-increases-wls-football

    0
  • Our Toon

    Jul 17, 2015 at 10:11 AM

    Comment #40

    Kevy

    If he signs a new contract at a championship team then it says alot about Charlie Austin as a player and what he thinks of his own ability. Do you want someone who’s happy to waste a year in the championship at the age of 26?

    If he stayed he’d do so for the money, you know the very thing you dislike former players like remy for.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.