The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Make Improved Performance-Related Offer For Austin

11:28 pm, Friday, July 17th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 148 Comments

ESPN is reporting that Newcastle have made an improved offer for Charlie Austin,  but that it is still thought to be short of the £15M that Director of Football Les Ferdinand is demanding for the 26 year-old,  who scored 18 Premier League goals in 35 appearances last season for QPR.

The discussions are said to be on-going, and are based around performance-related bonus payments, which presumably could bring the fee up closer to £15M, based on the number of appearances and/or goals that Charlie gets for Newcastle.

The offer may even be accepted by QPR.

Charlie austin _3147013b

Charlie Austin – on his way to Newcastle?

Linked with the ESPN report is an exclusive from WhatCulture late tonight,  and they are reporting the bid put in by Newcastle is £13M, an increase of £1M from Newcastle’s previous offer, which  they say was made earlier this summer.

And the bid has not been rejected – well – not yet anyway.

Maybe that bid includes the performance related payments ESPN has reported.

It could well be that Newcastle can sign Charlie Austin fairly quickly, since the news is that he is keen to join Newcastle and the north-east club are odds-on favorites to sing him.

That’s unlike our other striker target, Aleksandar Mitrovic of Anderlecht, who could be on his way to Porto.

That’s after an investment group have come up with the money so the Lisbon club can match Newcastle’s offer made last week of €18M.

If we get Charlie Austin in from QPR and center-back Chancel Mbemba from Anderlecht,  we’ll be happy enough, and maybe we can just keep Papiss Cisse at the club.

Papiss will be 100% fit next season for the first time for a long time, and we know he can score those goals with 11 goals in just 22 appearances last season.

And he wasn’t 100% fit either, and a large proportion of those appearances were from the bench while he was nursing that sore knee of his – after he broke his knee-cap a year last April.

And there comes a time when a player makes it so obvious that he doesn’t want to join Newcastle, that the appropriate action is simply to walk away.

Newcastle have to be close to that with  Aleksandar Mitrovic – the Serbian striker.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

148 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 optimistic prime // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:39 PM

That’s canny a £1mil increase on a offer we aparantly never made.

• 3 Graeme // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Austin and Cisse for next season wouldn’t be too shabby, providing we get a defence though.
    I would probably be happier with Mitrovic and Cisse this season, if truth be known. There is just something about Mitro that I think will gel at NUFC.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Yep, I’m sure QPR will be fully confident that once we reach 30 points by January Mr Austin will get all the regular game time that will release his bonus payments, they might even ask Jonas for a reference on this type of matter.

• 5 optimistic prime // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Ye, just looked on Wikipedia. Demolished now.

• 6 ToonMatt // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM

It’s embarrassing that people believe the slug will spend money after his little on camera interview? 9 years of the same thing, QPR want £15m the slug offers £12m? The slug has made hundreds of millions off this club and has not put a penny back in to it, Anyone who attends the home games next season is helping the slug make money, Why don’t you just take a sports direct carrier bag with you and help him make a little bit more lol

• 7 Bobbybee // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Jail, you do know there’s a cure for that sort of cynicism, don’t you? One little tablet will cure it – drop an e ffs lmao.

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 17, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Crikey, you remember them! Do you remember the plastic display tray you could get? If you sat on a Colin Bell, you must be getting on a bit? Did I read the other day you used to be a news editor?

• 9 ashleysmate // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM

It may be be and my cynical little ways..BUT..could it be possible that José persuaded Roman to bung Porto a few mill to buy Mitrovich so in a year or two he’ll be able to make a move for him….naa surely not…we’re all gentleman and scholars???!!

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Do you think my cynicism is unfounded ?

• 11 BlackCountryToon // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Just make it happen…..simples….

• 12 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Toonmatt, every bid starts low. Why would you pay 15 if you can pay less? But then, you’d accuse him of wasting money. If you want to make sweeping stupid comments, try checking the facts first. Ashley seperated his ownership from the club, so he’s got the best of both worlds. He owns the club, not the debt – the club owe him. How that is even legal, i’ve no idea, but apparently it’s common practice in business. Part of those terms is that every penny that comes in from ST sales, tickets, programs, paraphernalia, belongs to NUFC and goes into the transfer pot and other expenses. Believing ST holders are funding Ashley is the biggest load of bull in the whole argument. It hurts the club. He’s not that thick. And NUFC will be there long after he’s gone. Just face it, he’ll go when he’s ready as much as i hate that fact. I refuse to let him drive me away from my love. Don’t like it, don’t go – if you ever did. Trust me, we’ve been worse than this in my life. I can’t wait to see our new players in the b&w. No need to resort to insulting loyal fans.

• 13 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Of course it ain’t mate. Ashley’s a c@#t. I do see changes mind. Here’s hoping

• 14 la.jim // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Why don’t we give him 14m and save face,call it a day and we can get on with our lives.

• 15 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM

For those who think that game day revenue will have an effect on ownership, in this age of exploding TV revenue, get yourself a dose of reality. If anything, those boycotts just make it more likely that Newcastle will be on TV and make ownerships more money.

• 16 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:42 AM

Here in the states, once the Sack Pardew protests started, Newcastle was on TV almost every week while usually it was only Chelsea, Manu and Liverpool.

• 17 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:44 AM

All your mentality does is prolong hos stay at the club, you have a defeatist mentality…perfect Ashley customer, unhappy but willing to ride it out!!

Now imagine if we all had your mentality, he’d never leave!! He’s not driving you away, you are driving him out by not turning up. The boycott barely got off the ground and the liar had to come on TV and tell the world he’s going to change, the main purpose was to stop boycotts!! I support my club as much as you the only thing I don’t do is fuel the regime with my money, Im willing to stay away in the short term to ensure we drive him out which on the long run will be better for everyone at NUFC!!

• 18 Offkey // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:45 AM

Wont attendance at games effect the amount of TV money as it may mean we’re less likely to be shown….wasn’t there some talk of Sky having one of these rules (dont quote me on that)…..

Less TV coverage may also mean less publicity, another thing Toonmatt was making a point about relating to SD.

• 19 nufc 11 // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:46 AM

Stick or twist get fcuking Austin signed now pay the money and move on.

• 20 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Born and raised

Richard Scudamore came out and said teams that struggle to full stadiums will not to shown on TV, we have brand to protect!! His comments were back in March as the new TV deal was disclosed. Probably had a major factor on the fat liar coming out and speaking to all via sky before the game.

• 21 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:50 AM

In the UK alone, a team gets a facility fee of 875K for a facility fee for each live match shown. That is not even counting the facility fee they get from the TV stations in America, Asia, and the like.

How much money does Ashley lose if 10K stay away from the game? Compared to that, peanuts.

It is not the boycotts that has an effect, it is the bad publicity from losing that makes his brand and the sponsors brand look bad. Losing makes brands look bad, simple as that.

• 22 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:54 AM

Worse attendance might make them less likely to show a team on TV, but not when the attendance is because of a boycott. A boycott is news, protest are news, people love to watch and the TV channels love to show that stuff. Humans worldwide love to watch a trainwreck. My friends never care about Newcastle unless there is some drama (Pardew headbutt, boycott, etc.) and then I’ll get 50 texts in one day about Newcastle.

• 23 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Here ya go – you might laugh at this but: i wondered why ashley bought the club. I checked online re the deeds for SJP. Until 2007, the bank held them as security against the debt. When the debt was paid, the deeds must have gone to ashley. Why would the bank hold the deeds, UNLESS they could use them? And why was ashley treating us so badly? I reached the conclusion that he wanted the ground. He would run the club into the ground and drive the fans away, getting the club more in debt to him. Then, he’d call in the debt. Unable to pay, he takes the ground in lieu of payment, collecting the most valuable piece of land in the north east. It’s only fair to point out, i am a great fan of conspiracy theories lmao!

• 24 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Born and Raised

Why would the premier league chief authorise showing a team that’s tarnishing the premier league brand worldwide? TV networks don’t have final say it’s the chief who will do this

• 25 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Bobby bee

The council own the ground, last time I checked the club don’t own it. The club had a stakehold in the surrounding land which has been transferred to Mash Holdings!!

• 26 Mister Tuff // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:04 AM

boobybee – decent conspiracy theory but I’m afraid to infom you it’s duff. It’s leasehold – so Tubbs can only ever own the buildings not the land the buildings are upon.

• 27 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:06 AM

My conspiracy theory is that Ashley provokes the drama because it gets more facility fees and gets Sports Direct in the news more. Free advertising, which we all know he loves.

It has been confirmed that we had the 5th highest facility fee last year (based on matches shown on TV), which is surprising because (a) we sucked and (b) we weren’t in the Champions League and Europa so we had less games pushed to Sunday/Monday.

• 28 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Our Toon, the networks are the ones who pay the bills.

• 29 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Look at the facility fee column.

• 30 Andymax // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:10 AM

If we were serious about signing they would be here by now FFS. WAKE UP!!

• 31 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:10 AM

This blog won’t let me post the link but if you google facility fees and premier league it should take you to a table on totalsportek dot com with the facility fees.

• 32 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:12 AM

Born and raised

Its brand premier league who decide mate, the networks are at the mercy of the prem because it’s in so much demand. I’m just repeating what the PL chief said, by all means email the premier league for clarification but they want to protect the brand!!

• 33 Andymax // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:12 AM

If we were serious about signing they would be here by now FFS. WAKE UP!

• 34 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:17 AM

Our Toon

I’m not doubting that is what the PL chief said, but he’s a figurehead paid to say the right things. He is not ever saying no the TV networks, they are paying 1.73 BILLION!!! Pounds PER YEAR

• 35 switch365 // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:23 AM

Lambert off to West Brom after Benteke arrives could potentially offer us the opportunity to place an out of the blue offer for Berahino.

Current contract expirations –
    Wilo – 2016
    Saylor – 2016
    Colocini – 2016

It’s not rocket science that we’ll require x3 new cb’s within the next 12 months, though as fans we all know we could have done with the replacements 5 years ago!
    So not only are all 3 no longer suitable first team players, it wouldn’t break the bank if all were released if we can’t find clubs willing to take them off our hands.
    Jabba is a wheeler dealer geezer, why not offer 3 for the price of 2!

• 36 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:24 AM

Born and raised

Supply and demand, the league is in demand the PL hold all the cards, any network not complying can be easily replaced.

I doubt even foreign broadcasters will want to show games with half full stadiums, the novelty will soon ware off. It’ll be like playing in a morgue no atmosphere, bad for both tv and the PL. Think about it!!

• 37 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Our toon and mr duff. I did warn you beforehand you might laugh this. Then again, could he not knock down the stadium and build a casino complex. No, no, stop it, you know it makes your head hurt. ( and talk to myself apparently )

• 38 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:33 AM

Our Toon

If the broadcasters don’t want to show games in stadiums that are like a morgue with no atmosphere, how to explain them showing Newcastle games last year the 5th most?

Also, I found a telegraph article saying that the TV companies choose which games to show.

• 39 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:33 AM

No he couldn’t but be could apply for a name change!!

• 40 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:37 AM

Born and raised

You are talking about games shown last year, please read what I put, the new TV deal signed!! I believe the international deal is still running on the old contract. The UK deal has been put in place so tickets etc will get subsidised so teams make it cheaper to go to grounds, any clubs not filling quotas will not receive tv deal money. The UK Deal is worth 5bn….1bn which will be going to grass roots apparently and to subsidise tickets.

• 41 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:46 AM

Our Toon

Are you saying that when the new TV deal comes up, the Premier League will sell the rights to BT instead of Sky, even though Sky bids more money, because Sky choose games that made the Premier league look bad. As we say in the states, No Way Jose! The highest bidder will get the rights, and they will choose whichever games they want. Last year proved that the TV networks will choose Newcastle games, even if the stadium atmosphere sucks, if there is drama surrounding the club. Potential catastrophe, public discontentment and insurrection and all the related drama sells big time. Ask Shakespeare.

• 42 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:50 AM

Our toon. I don’t give a toss who owns the club – they’re all sharks. SJH aside, tell me one who’s put in more than took out? I don’t need you telling me how to be a fan. Were you at wrexham, shrewsbury, cambridge, port vale etc? I was. Have you ever had to fight your way in and out of ninnian park or the old den? Run the rat run at boro? I have, all for the love of NUFC. Ashley’s going nowhere. Not until he chooses to. For a lot of you, you materialised out of nowhere when we took off under kk. You were spoiled, it ain’t EVER been that good before. I didn’t boycott because Westwood was a pirate, so why now? If i have to try and explain why i love the toon this much, you’ll never get it. I hate ashley, but it’s convenient how many have forgotten his ‘five year plan’. Grow up, you can’t always have your own way. He’s so rich we can NEVER hurt him. If you can’t support a shyte team, you picked the wrong one matey. Do hartlepool fans continually whine? Proper fans. Hardcore. I get it, you don’t.

• 43 lesh // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:54 AM

And why pray would Ashley be able to take ownership of SJP?

The stadium belongs to NUFC but the land it sits on belongs to the Freemen of the City, not NUFC

What use is the stadium to Ashley without any land?

• 44 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 1:59 AM

Born and raised

What I’m saying to you is that they will have a clause in the contract which helps protect brand premier league. During the boycotts we were barely on over here that’s how much of a toss broadcasters gave to showing live boycotts. Having been involved in complex contracts throughout my life/career trust me when I say the PL want to protect the brand, without that it’s worthless. Sky also want to protect it along with BT

• 45 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:04 AM

Lesh, please listen to me – it was a conspiracy theory and intentionally a bit of fun. Having a laugh, nothing more. Wow!

• 46 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:08 AM

Bobby – much respect. NUFC have punched above their weight before, and they will again.

Our Toon – I agree that the premier league cares about its brand, but boycotts, even half empty stadiums won’t be seen as a detriment to the brand of the league, as much as a cute little drama in the northeast. Also, I don’t know where you were watching, but last year in the UK, Newcastle was shown the 5th most out of any team. Can we agree at least that it wasn’t because the team was any good?

• 47 Goofy // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:10 AM

Had no faith in our chairman for a while now, now we have a new manager, (OK not singing and dancing yet) and backroom staff, got to admit Cathro has got me sucked in a bit. Signing winjaldum and looking like Austin’s a done deal, (crossing fingers) all we need are 2 CB’s and i’ll be hoping for Europe at the end of next season. Haven’t been confident since Ashley took over, now i’m feeling a little confident we are going to improve. HWTL

• 48 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:11 AM

Did you ever contemplate that I might not be as old as you? Are you that naive? Well you must be, just for the record I’m 32 years old I was a season ticket holder of 14 years, travelling to every game home and away including cup games and European nights. All of this doesn’t make me a better fan or more of a fan than anyone else on this blog, I’ve been fortunate enough to have the money which I’ve worked hard for to follow the club I love.

I’ve boycotted the last 2 years because as with anything in life if you don’t like something you don’t pay for it. In 2015 people have multiple alternative ways to follow the team without spending a penny which goes toward the regime. You may have been through tougher times but the difference between then and now is football is a business, nufc is a product, it can’t live without consumers more importantly fans have power, if we didn’t the fat man wouldn’t have scrambled the way he has over last 4 months. Keep beating that drum though of he’s here no matter what I do so I’ll sit back and do fcuk all

• 49 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:14 AM

Born and raised

I don’t have sky because the money goes to MA, I work alot in the far east with clients so tend to watch quite a lot of games abroad. We can definitely agree that we don’t get shown because we were good buddy

• 50 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:14 AM

Goofy – if we do get 2 CBs this window, are you at all worried about 3 CBs new to the premier league having to bed in at the same time. Obviously, if would be great if they were real quality but assuming they are young, I think I’d rather get one CB this window, let him and Lacelles bed-in and then get 2 next window.

• 51 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:15 AM

maybe he’s considering a floating casino above SJP? Could be what Bob means

• 52 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:18 AM

A FB with experience who could cover at CB in a pinch would be great. Someone like Erik Pieters would be perfect but I doubt Stoke would sell and he is a couple years older than what we are looking for.

• 53 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:20 AM

I’m with you goofy. We will sign who we need, you can tell macca means what he says. He’s seen the funds, we haven’t, so he knows he can back up his words. I’m looking forward to this season far more optimistically than the last six or seven. Wijnaldum is the benchmark and he’s pure quality. Once they’re all in, a cup is a real possibility. I think i’d have got one anyway, with my points, but now, thanks to those who cancelled, EVERY ST holder will get a cup final ticket lmao. (Again lesh, this is called humour, i don’t really mean it)

• 54 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:21 AM

I think Laschelles isn’t good enough just yet, concerned how he struggled to play for forest last season. 2 CB’s priority wouldn’t be to disappointed if we got 1 cb though who is quick strong and can play alongside Colo if we only get 1

• 55 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Born and raised

I’m concerned at the lack of cover for RB mate. If Janmaat gets injured who plays there….Anita. at least at LB we have dummett, Haidara and Colback of things get desperate….i dont think any of them are good enough to play there though

• 56 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:33 AM

Our Toon

I’m more worried about LB. Haidara has proven to be made of glass. Playing a 4-2-3-1, you need fullbacks that are quick and can dribble, which Dummett cannot. Shit, now you’ve got me worried about RB though. How did we end up with so many bad midfielders and no fullbacks? I do have faith that if we buy a fullback, he’ll come good. Carr has proven he can pick those. Only Haidara has been even a slight disappointment, and he has looked great when he has been able to stay on the field.

• 57 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:37 AM

I’d be happy with this 25-man roster come September 1st.

1. GK1 – T. Krul*
    21. AM7 – S. Marveux NEW RB/LB
    22. CF1 – C. Austin*
    23. CF2 – P. Cisse
    24. CF3 – A. Mitrovic
    25. CF4 – E. Riviere

• 58 optimistic prime // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:41 AM

The only faith I have in Ashley is he’ll do right by himself, and screw us at the same time.

Can’t see how anyone can have faith or be optimistic we’ll sign decent players on the back of a forced pr stunt.

I’ve more faith in the Tories looking after the working class and going after the rich instead.

• 59 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 2:53 AM

The optimism doesn’t come from any faith in Ashley. It is the change of economics. Newcastle already are or are on the precipice of earning more revenues than any football club in the world, outside of ten clubs which are on another level. Plenty of room for Ashley to do right for himself and the team to buy a couple 10M plus players every window.

By the way, great ironic handle considering your comment.

• 60 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM

In terms of revenues, the following clubs are untouchable for NUFC:
    Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, Manu, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea.

The rest we can surpass.

• 61 Our Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:12 AM

Born and raised

We look very weak all round defensively. In terms of revenues I think it counts for very little at present, Valencia have a sugar daddy they’ll always out spend us. Most teams will out spend us because we will not spend what’s required on improving. We will spend the bare minimum to ensure we do the bare minimum

• 62 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:24 AM

Our Toon

It is true that rich owners can always spend to buy players above a club’s revenues, but that makes less and less of a difference as clubs make more money. The Valencia owner for example promised to spend 60M which isn’t too far off from what many teams in the Premier league might do this summer.

• 63 optimistic prime // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:27 AM

There’s being optimistic and there’s having blind faith.

We where in the top 20 most profitable clubs last year yet couldn’t compete with palace Southampton etc.

It’s all well and good having ambitions what’s the point though if we don’t try for said ambitions.

Reach for the stars you may catch the moon, Ashley’s NUFC reach for tenth and struggle to catch sixteenth.

We’ve punched well below our weight for 8years bar one, talk is cheap, perfect price for Ashley.

On income etc we should be aiming for 8th as minimum every year, I’d like us to punch our weight once in a while never mind punch above it.

• 64 optimistic prime // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:29 AM

For NUFC to really compete with those other clubs we’d have to maximise our revenue streams, no free ads for Ashley, can’t see that happening.

• 65 King Colback // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:32 AM

Apparently Aleksandar Mitrovic has chosen Newcastle after we offer him a “Monster” contract

Father and brother Ivica Milan Mitrovic had yesterday afternoon with their lawyer an appointment with Herman Van Holsbeeck. Dad Mitro had the five-year contract from Newcastle consider in a few days by his lawyer in Belgrade, meanwhile, found that Porto, Benfica or Roma still no better proposal would do more. Who is 16.5 million euros plus bonuses payable to Anderlecht, while a net annual salary of 2.4 million euros (plus extras) offer the player?

• 66 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:42 AM

Our toon. I keep trying to post this, but it says i’ve already done so, but i can’t find it. Anyway. I’m not looking for a row, but i get peeved being told i’m the problem. We disagree, nothing more. No matter who is in charge, there’s no guarantee we’ d be any better. You think we can change him, I don’t. The good years were great, but they’ve gone. Look at Leeds. You won’t, but i remember then as a top top team. Nothing’s guaranteed in life. Am i happy with crap football? No, but i’m more used to it than you lol. This hatred has become obsessive. Some ashley haters are now toon haters – why would i want that? Out of curiosity, do you remember his last missive, before the west ham surprise? His ‘ five year plan’? What’s happening now fits perfectly with that. I can’t quit the toon, i’m a full bore addict. If these signings materialise and we follow it up in the next two windows, please change your mind. Macca has a plan and i genuinely think we’re in for a nice surprise. I’ve waited nearly 50 years for a trophy, don’t you miss out for prides sake. You, me, the whole lot, all want the same thing. NUFC isn’t ashley, it’s all of us. Let’s be honest, if he gives us a trophy, we’ll forgive and forget and he’ll probably get a statue erected! That’s football.

• 67 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:43 AM

There is no question that the team needs major improvement to finish in the top 8. The league has gotten more competitive, more clubs have money to buy good players from around the world. NUFC’s stadium advantage has dwindled and anyone who assumes that going forward it will be easy to be above the likes of Stoke, Southampton, Swansea, have another thing coming. The club needs to spend money consistently, spend it wisely, and develop world class players once in a while, or else we’ll be lucky to get in the top 10. The days of having a big advantage because the club could fill a big stadium are over.

• 68 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:49 AM

Bobby – well said.

• 69 Bobbybee // Jul 18, 2015 at 3:53 AM

King, where did your get that from mate? Am i dreaming or are you extracting my urine?

• 70 MyMateDaveNUFC // Jul 18, 2015 at 4:22 AM

I know I’m late to the party…….this saga has been dragged on long enough now, get this lad over the line and signed up then on for more important things like a couple new cb

• 71 GEORDIE69 // Jul 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM

Bornandraised, you would be happy going into the new season with just two full backs? Howay man have a word. Some Toon fans make me laugh at their football knowledge. Let me guess, you have it all worked out that Dumment or Anita can cover. What a squad haha

• 72 King Colback // Jul 18, 2015 at 4:58 AM

Bobby Bee from this:

• 73 King Colback // Jul 18, 2015 at 4:58 AM

this too

• 74 expatmag // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:01 AM

Evening Chronicle is now saying Mitrovic has agreed his contract and McLaren wants him over in the US for the final game of the tour.

Looks promising

• 75 JDdubai // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:11 AM

We have had this before, with Austin especially.

Not getting carried away until I see them on way for medical.

• 76 Average_Contents // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:17 AM

Here’s hoping we get our man….this time.

I’m reticent though as we’ve had these sort of long drawn out sagas that rage all summer then been unwilling to go that extra stretch to secure the target ie remy, pea and lacezette.

• 77 Average_Contents // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:18 AM

Bony too.

Actually, just about anyone tbh lol

• 78 expatmag // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:21 AM

Never a dull day at NUFC, mate.

However, something surely must happen this weekend. 3 weeks till the start of the season.

Wijnaldum in and settling
    Mitrovic hopefully in this weekend
    A new Centre Back hopefully signed by next weekend

I would settle for that at present.

• 79 Bornandraised // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:47 AM

Have some coffee and read post 49. And in 54, I’m saying a CD comes in the squad for Williamson and a fullback to come in the squad for Marveaux or for one of the attacking midfielders. If Haidara lasts a full season, it will be the biggest miracle since Tiote scored.

Schteve said 4-5 new players. If we get 5, its Gini, the big Serb, Austin, a new CB, and a new FB. Only question is whether the FB we are targeting should be left or right.

• 80 Chris // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:09 AM

Average_Contents // Jul 18, 2015 at 5:17 AM

I’m kinda hoping because lee rydon is over there reporting for the chronical that he’s had some info from somewhere. Picking up little tit bits and what not.”

I doubt whether Ryder has picked up any tit bits over there about the Mitrovic deal. If you read his article in the Chronicle you’ll notice that it says ” according to reports in Belgium” so he’s just doing what he always does – ie. regurgitating the stories that other people are publishing.

• 81 JDdubai // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Look at the Chronicle webpage – the stories down the right side.

Mitrovic expected to sign, then New Austin bid as Mitrovic unlikely, then the main story of no Austin bid yet as Mitrovic about to sign…

They aint got a clue, no-one has.

• 82 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Curtis Good is out of Newcastle United’s tour games against Sacramento Republic and Portland Timbers.

The defender made his comeback from a hip operation operation in the club’s pre-season opener against Gateshead.

Good – who injured his hip on his Australia debut in March last year – had surgery in February after breaking down in an Under-21 match.

The 22-year-old has again been troubled by his hip this week, and has been unable to train in the USA.

Good, signed from Melbourne Heart three years ago, yesterday watched his team-mates prepare for the sold-out game against Sacramento, which will be played in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Newcastle won’t take any risks with Good between now and the end of the tour, and he could now be sent to see a specialist for assessment.

• 83 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Release the kid! He’s crooked…

Really hope we’ll go for two new CB and move on both Willo and Saylor.

Frankly I hope alot of changes will be made…unrealistic probably!

• 84 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM – Mitrovic has agreed personal terms and contract! NUFC have reportedly offered best contract terms. #nufc

A lot of reports coming out of Belgium that a deal has been agreed for the sale of Mitrovic to Nufc. Hopeful we can finally put this one to bed and move on to our next target

• 85 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:47 AM

This has been a long saga for the Mitrovic deal, and a lot of speculation has surrounded it. I for one will not be getting excited until he flies in for his medical, and I see him holding up his shirt.

We’ve had theses done deal stories so many times now that we are now conditioned into waking up and expecting them.

Really hope this time it’s true, but keeping the stopper in the bottle for now.

• 86 check the toastie // Jul 18, 2015 at 6:47 AM

Wish we could just fast forward to the transfer window closing, absolute torture these continual ‘updates’.

We seem incapable of sealing deals quickly, wtf.

• 87 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM

I hope one way or another it gets sorted this weekend. Fed up with the same old spiel being spouted every day.
    same with the Austin saga….We have bid then we have not.
    I would say it is getting to the time we need to start bringing players in for the new season as its only 20 days away.

• 88 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM

RIP Bianchi

• 89 check the toastie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Wonder if we actually sign a centre half, should have been done weeks ago, not sure about Lascelles, looks just not quite right to me, a bit slow.

• 90 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM

My sentiments exactly, I know it’s difficult negotiating for players, but the way our club goes about it is borderline criminal.

They want the best value pound for pound, and that’s fair enough, but they should have had this sorted months ago, put in some decent offers, offer some decent contracts, and get things tied up quickly.

They also need to rebuild Newcastle’s image across the world after dragging it through the mud for the last eight years.

• 91 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:06 AM

I don’t rate Matip either who we are linked with. A very mistake prone player. I hope we go for a better quality player than this guy

• 92 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM

check the toastie

We are “supposed” to be looking at Mitrovitc’s team mate forgotten his name, but he has question marks over his age I think, sounds just right for us.

• 93 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Morning Jazzy!

Lets hope the news are correct on Mitrovic 🙂

Who’s dead now?

• 94 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Agree mate. Ashley has ground the whole club down to the extent that the team,Coaching staff are simply not good enough no more. half the squad should have been no where near the first team last season. but such is the demise of the team over the last 3-4 year that we have had no choice but to play these players.
    Hopefully and I say hopefully this summer will be the start of things to come, because at least we are going for better quality players and Mitrovic would be a coup

• 95 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Well well well ” bobbybee” seems mighty familiar. Complete with boycott-derailing arguments founded on “I’m a better fan than you” ( even though he doesn’t know the background of the people he talks to) and I will always turn up and spend my money on ST’s and support the regime I apparently “hate” because ” they’re all as bad as each other but at least ashley…. sound financial footing….would have been bankrupt…” ad nauseam. Different day, same gobs***e.

• 96 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Morning buddy

Jules Bianchi….F1 driver who had an accident at the Japanese grand prix last season, and has been in an induced coma unfortunately died this morning

• 97 check the toastie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Its not like we even need a decent one tomupgrade the current bunch.

Collo – legs gone
    Saylor- Sicknote, slow
    Willo – my god
    Dummitt – Really
    Lacselles- Jury out

Nobody would care if any where shipped out, that’s how bad it is, and no urgency shown to improve, just incredible by the club..

• 98 Tsunki // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:15 AM

Firebug we’re the team that bought Geriatmi….and played him. Must have been 46.

• 99 cyprus // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:23 AM

This guy will be pestered by the new wife, the other by his dad.

Are they the only two top strikers in the world?

Scout the L. American leagues. find a hungry successful young CF…

• 100 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM

It’s strange like that Mbemba could be insured to play football when he doesn’t know his age.

I know in some countries they can be a little lax when it comes to registrations of children, My missus is Turkish, and she told me that her father didn’t register her birth for several months, Her birth certificate states the 5 April, I’m inclined to think that’s a mistake and maybe it was the 1 April.

But the point is she is not sure how correct it is.

Mbemba could be 20 or he could be 30 who knows, one thing is for sure, regardless of his age, he has to be better than Willow!

• 101 will die for the toon army // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Rudiger got injured. Zouma on loan is a good option.

• 102 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Zouma on loan would be good, but only if we signed a centre half as well. I don’t trust the club to bring in three new centre halves next summer, which is what we would need – unless they are planning on extending one or more’s contract!

Just Zouma on loan would paper over cracks for a year. We need a dominant and imposing centre half who is vocal and can lead a line. A centre half like that would improve the levels of those he plays with just by organising the line properly.

• 103 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Chronicle saying we have offered Mitrovic €2.4million p.a. That is less then the old offer was alleged to be. The Gazzette are reporting that the two clubs are still in negotiations and have been all week.

Absolutely nobody seems to know what is going on here. The club need to take charge. If it means walking away, then they need to do it sharpish, and move on other key targets. Same goes for Austin. If we aren’t prepared to match the fee – we haven’t even got onto personal terms, which will be in excess of Mitrovic’s demands – then walk away.

Time is being wasted, as with every summer, by focussing all energies on protracted sagas.

• 104 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Mbembe and someone non African would do it for me. Would prefer we stayed away from any loan deal unless there was agreed a fee!

Jazzy…tragic sport at times!

• 105 mickalfas // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:41 AM

I’m hoping that they get the defence sorted before the season starts not the end of the transfer window
    We need them now
    Do you think any of our defenders deserve an extension ?
    They should be released first imo

• 106 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:42 AM

I agree on the loan deals. All we would be doing is giving a Chelsea player valuable playing time for his progression in the game. Giving him valuable experience to take him to the next level.
    Who gains……Ultimately Chelsea and not us !

• 107 JDdubai // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Chelsea wont let Zouma go, they only have 3 CBs., Plus it will be a transistion year for him to be ready to take Terry’s place in a year or 2.

Nobody knows what is going on but everyone reports it and creates the frustrating situation we are in – next Ed will put a new thread out about this “latest reports” and then someone else will use THAT as the basis for THEIR new article…and so on and so on.

Its the need for websites to get clicks for advertising money that is causing a lot of the issues with dramatic headlines. Bring back Ceefax and Teletext!

• 108 will die for the toon army // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I wld go for Zouma on a season loan. Coz I see no good defender wanting to come to us.

Zouma…….Durmett is good for me. As we look for a replacement.

• 109 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Nope, but I can see Saylor getting one if he has a half decent season. Or more likely in his case, decent half a season.

I wouldn’t trust the club to bring in three new centre halves (or 2 and a left back if Dummet is to become a permanent centre half) next summer, so we need a minimum of 1 this summer. Although

• 110 will die for the toon army // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Its a win win if he gets us up the table more money for us with less cost. You saw wat Remy did for us or even Ddemba Ba.

• 111 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Jazzy…seeing as I think we need to move on 6-7 players I am a bit worried that we have only signed Wijnaldum and the defense is still as bad ad always!

There’s no width in our team, no distribution or end product and the team is so unbalanced!

• 112 will die for the toon army // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM

We r a team in transition we dont need so many changes. We will see that by January or next summer

• 113 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Will die,
    Demba Ba wasn’t on loan….

Who is it win win for? How did the fans benefit from increased money being brought into the club through placing 10th with Remy? Did we see that money invested in a top striker to replace him after he left? Nope.

It would be beneficial to us next season, but then we will be in a worse position next summer, being in an even more desperate need for defenders. Clubs would see that and demand the premium we would be unwilling to match and we are in trouble.

• 114 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Will die…we are a team in decay untill something happens!

• 115 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Will Die,
    What are you talking about? If we are a team in transition then by definition it means changes.

Saylor, Willo and Colo are all out of contract next summer, so we would need 3 defenders in then (plus a right back and a left back if Haidara can’t keep fit if we only get Zouma on loan this summer.

• 116 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Sp. Anderlecht news ?@Sporting_AND 7m7 minutes ago
    HLN: Newcastle were chasing Matip (Schalke 04) but have made Chancel Mbemba their main target and have already made a bid. #rsca #nufc

• 117 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Curtis good injured again 🙁

• 118 mickalfas // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:54 AM

I just think if any of them get a new contract ,its rewarding mediocrity
    I’m hoping we get 1 or 2 this window,and possibly 1 in January
    But like you and everyone else,I won’t be holding my breath
    Trust has to be earned ,especially after 8 years of bulls##t

• 119 will die for the toon army // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:55 AM

If we get players from within who can create chances. Aarons, Perez or De Jong. We get a new forward we will be done on the front line.

Then for defence we need one CB. and ttry out with either Colo or Durmett

• 120 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:55 AM

firebug…I really hope they don’t just have one target!

• 121 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Will die

How do you come to the conclusion that its a win win for the toon ??
    Remy was a 2 mill loan deal with no end product. All we did was let Remy showcase his talent for a season for a move to another club.And for that privilege he took the P@ss out us by refusing to play against Liverpool incase he got injured.

yes mate I would agree that this particular loan deal worked out a treat

• 122 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Will die…both Siem and Aarons are crooked so I don’t know how many chances they’ll create.

Perez didn’t create that many goals did he?

I think we need a prolific goal scorer, someone who can play both in the box and wide (that’s two forwards) and a winger with an end product.

• 123 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM

I wouldn’t want them to give new contracts, it is just how I see it. At his age and with his career blighted by injuries, he would likely take a reduced offer, and the club then has less work to do on the signings front.

• 124 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM

It does say “main Target” so I would assume we have more, it is being reported that we are after a double swoop for Mbemba and Mitrovic.

For me along with Wijnaldum this is a good start, but like I said earlier I will not be uncorking the bottle just yet. We need to get them over that line yet.

• 125 mickalfas // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:01 AM

So Good ,one of our back up CB’s is out again
    Release him,its a pity for him though
    So we have Willo ,Collo ,Sicknote and the new kid Lascelles ,wow,and 3 weeks to go

• 126 will die for the toon army // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Jeaper and Lillongwe

Am talking abt good players being around for a short time getting u results and making good money for the club. We were unable to buy a new striker out of Remy but we have to e money in the bank and its wat we r using now.

We dont have to rush buying players. We will fail to balance the 25 man squad. Our current players have no value and not wanted

• 127 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM

I’m pleased we seem to be stepping away from Matip. Mbemba looks a good player, but I don’t know if he is the vocal leader we need in there.

Still prefer someone from the Prem with experience to come in either instead of or alongside.

• 128 firebug666 // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM

The Good injury explains why Satka was flown out to the USA.

• 129 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Will Die,
    Our current players have no value and aren’t wanted – because they are poor players in a large number of cases – but we don’t need to rush to buy players who are good enough at this level?? Sorry, that makes no sense to me.

The squad is not balanced already, so we need to get players in to balance it and improve it.

• 130 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Seen as we are raiding Anderlecht, could we not also get Tielemans and Praet whilst we are there. Neither of those two or Mitrovic need to be registered in the 25 so wouldn’t take up squad spaces.

• 131 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:13 AM

NUFC 360 ?@NUFC360 · 10mins 10 mins ago
    Belgian Press (SportWereld) are saying that Mitrovic has made his choice. #NUFC offer is the best.

• 132 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM

is Mbemba a full international ?? Just thinking of work permit !!

• 133 Ian Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Lilongwe – I think he means we are already a team in transition!
    Why not buy Austin and Caulker from QPR- both with PL experience and would slot in well in my opinion.

I have to go- you seem to post at varying times these days.

• 134 mickalfas // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Personally I think it was a mistake not going for Nzonzi and getting rid of Tiote
    If we buy 5 or 6 from Europe, it could turn into a bad season ,settling in wise
    Lol ,did I say 5 or 6 ,I’m losing the plot

• 135 hibbit // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM

mick when did we get rid of tiote

• 136 jazzyp // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Sp. Anderlecht news ?@Sporting_AND · 11 mins11 minutes ago
    -Fee: €16.5m (+bonuses)
    – Signing on fee: €2m
    -Sell on percentage: 5%
    -Annual salary: 2.4m
    -23.5k per win/11.7 per draw
    #nufc #rsca

• 137 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Wouldn’t want Caulker! He is vastly overrated. A poor defender in my book. QPR conceded 10 more goals than us last season, and Cardiff 25 more the year before with Caulker being a key component in both.

Winston Reid would be my number one choice, but I think he would cost took much for Ashley and we would struggle to sell the club to him at this stage.

I’ve had a weird work week this week, but will be back to just early mornings from next week.

• 138 mickalfas // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Sorry ,should have read ,we should get rid of Tiote

• 139 Jail for Ashley // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:24 AM

It’s funny when that when the club were emotionally blackmailing people into buying season tickets they stressed that this was one aspect that gave us an advantage over other clubs.

• 140 Slank // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM

t seems that Aleksandar Mitrovic (20) has made his choice. The figures Newcastle offers and that we could get exclusive are staggering. No competitor that can compete with it. The Magpies want the arrival of striker now rapidly officialize Anderlecht and then goes to work.

Jupiler Pro League

News | Results | Transfer Overview

Not train and play

Mitrovic himself trained yesterday afternoon already not play Sunday, and even in the practice match against Lazio. Newcastle would prefer to have him this weekend draws and then joined their US Tour. All parties are becoming impatient.

Of the 16.5 million will Anderlecht remit to direct some 2.3 million euros Partizan Belgrade which had 20 percent of the value. Anderlecht bought it in 2013 for 5 million euros. Nevertheless, Mitrovic deal after Fellaini and Lukaku, one of the largest outbound transfers ever in Belgium. Anderlecht also won 5 percent on a subsequent resale at Newcastle.

• 141 Ian Toon // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM

I thought Reid had only recently signed a new long term contract. Also think Tomkins is a much improved CB whom I have watched improve over last few seasons. Priority is a CB.

• 142 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:28 AM

That is a good contract. A basic of 32k before tax isn’t a huge wage,
    but heavily incentivised as contracts should be for younger players. Interesting they don’t put a figure on a goal bonus, but do on a draw, that is fairly unusual to have a draw bonus. Even more unusual for a centre forward not to have a goal bonus.

• 143 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:31 AM

He signed a new deal nearly 18 months ago now. I have said all along when we were linked with Tomkins in the previous 2 summers he is a good defender – didn’t have many agreeing with me mind. Versatile as well which the club likes. A huge upgrade on the defenders we have, not in the top class bracket but would have been a significant improvement for us.

• 144 mickalfas // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:33 AM

If its all true,a bit under £12m seems a bit of a bargain for me
    We’ll see !

• 145 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:35 AM

€2.4million net is it? Big money for Ashley to be paying.

• 146 cyprus // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:37 AM

So, Slank, we got him?!

• 147 Jail for Ashley // Jul 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM

But when it suits somebodies anti boycott agenda ST sales are a drop in the ocean.

• 148 mactoon // Jul 18, 2015 at 9:56 AM

And more recently in the chronicle. . , despite reports, there has been no fresh bid for Charlie Austin from Newcastle.

And last time I looked SJP is on a 999 year lease which means he can’t buy the land as it’s owned by newcastle city council who refuse to sell the freehold. The lease will have clauses in to stipulate what the holder can use the land for and what it can’t. I would imagine it says the land is for the use of a football stadium as that is the sole reason it was drawn up. I did have a copy back in the day when they issued a share prospectus maybe someone else has and can check?

previous post: Mitrovich Is A Special Player – But Mbemba Is Even Better