Gini Wijnaldum – I Feel At Home In This Club Already

Georginio (Gini) Wijnaldum played his first game for Newcastle in Sacramento last night local time, and he cam eon after 70 minutes for Siem de Jong, and at least got a taste of playing for Newcastle but with Massadio Haidara having just been sent off he was deployed in a more defensive role than we think he will play next season.

georginio wijnaldum sacramento

Gini Wijnaldum – great technique

This is what Gini said on the Newcastle web-site after the game:

“It feels good to wear the shirt. I waited a few days for my first game but it felt really good.”

“I came on when we were 1-0 up but we had got the red card just before, so I knew the final part of the game was going to be tough.”

“It was a good result. In the first half it was difficult because they had a man free in midfield between the lines.”

“But we played well in the second half and then when the red card came we stayed compact and saw the game out well.”

“You always play to win matches and if you get into a winning habit then it is good. The performances matter and normally with good performances come good results.”

“We have to learn from every game at this stage of the season though, whatever the result.” “At the national team, when you are new you must stand up and speak for a minute, but I have never had to sing before.”

“I chose ‘Who the Cap Fit’ by Bob Marley, but it was not good!”  “I didn’t get to finish it because everyone threw their napkins at me and booed. Singing is definitely not my talent!”

“My teammates have helped me to feel at home. They are like a family already – they speak with me, they hang out with me and make jokes with me, so I feel at home in this Club already.”

Those last three sentences are about his initiation at Newcastle at the staff dinner on his first night in Sacramento, and it was in front of the coaches and the rest of the playing staff

Looks like he sang ¨Who the Cap Fit¨ as part of his initiation – we’re pleased we didn’t hear his rendition.

🙂

Gini can be a great player for us next season,  and it looks like we could be getting a couple more through the door in the next few days, according to Steve McClaren.

• LewSpi v2.0

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Lil

You’re doing all my posting here for me, agree with your views on the midfield entirely.

—————-Krul—————-
    Janmaat—-CB–CB—-Haidara
    —————Anita—————-
    ——-De Jong—Wijnaldum—-
    ——Perez–Mitrovic–Aarons–

With de Jong more of an attacking role, Wijnaldum box to box, and Anita the link between defence and midfield.

• WWSBRD

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I find it increasingly difficult not to really like this lad and get excited by his signing…similar to when Cabaye signed

• optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Just read McLarens comments one or two in, we have a very good squad.

Really?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM

LewSpi,
    Haha, apologies for that. I think that is how it pieces together so far, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

If Mitro ever signs, I’m not counting my chickens just yet, then that front 3 looks very good. Cisse steps in if Mitro needs a break/injured/suspended, and replace Goofy or Rivi in the squad places with centre forward who can play wide, or some genuine width with significant end product.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I do tend to agree with Lilongwe on Berahino being the perfect match for us now with Mitrovic hopefully signed!

I agree with Our Toon on Austin. If we go for him we should wait until January. He’s not a £15M player and with his contract running out in 2016 it would be crazy paying that for him.

It will either be one of the big clubs paying that (because they really don’t care) or a club out of desperation (could be us or WHam).

Yo…frankly just disagree with you on this one…and I wouldn’t let you anywhere near my wallet ????

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM

OP,
    He said he wanted 4 or 5 in earlier in the summer, so I hope it is one or two more after Mitro and Mbemba. I imagine that it is one or two more in and then see who we can offload of those not wanted before trying for anymore. Sadly, I can’t see many clubs being after our players.

Rumours of serious interest in Willo, but pretty much no takers for anyone else, as expected in most cases.

• BandB

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM

OP

He said we have a good squad.
    He has to really.
    He suggested earlier that he thought we needed four.
    He’ll probably satisfied with three. I wonder what he’d really think about just two?

• BandB

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Lil,

Will you stop DOING that!

• WWSBRD

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM

jesper
    On Austin u mean? I’d still take him again not bothered about the price is take Berahino too though his attitude is rancid and he’d be touting himself for bigger as soon as he stepped through the door but he’s a solid speedy player who can score from outside the box…don’t think he would be a starter at CF though

• Slank

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Has the club said something as I haven’t read of any rumours about other clubs coming in for some of our players ?

Everton and Villa appear to be the targets. Before them Southampton lost two excellent players.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Yo…on Austin yeah 😉

I think we can agree on other things

• magpiesi

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM

For a winger I wouldn’t mind Kevin Mirrales from Everton he’s fast can play left or right has a free kick and scores goals. Could get him for 8-12 m, spurs were linked with him last season but they couldn’t off load Lamela,Dembele,or Townsend.

• BandB

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lots of people are putting Aarons in.
    Who is his cover?
    Given that he is young and has had gammy legs.
    He’s going to need careful handling.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

BandB,
    I’m just gutting in everyones way today!

• BandB

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lilled again!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Yo…I think Berahino will end up at a club like Chelski and warm their bench or side track his career!

…the attitude will be his downfall if hr doesn’t choose the right club over money and prestige!

• cestriasteve

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

LewSpi,

I like Anita there, I’d like to see De Jong behind Mitrovic,I’m no good at doing the rest.

• WWSBRD

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM

jesper
    Haha the odd thing am sure haha

Mitrovic looks good though but I don’t think he will be with us for all that long unless things truly have drastically changed. If we get him then we don’t NEED another striker really but still be fun to get one

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

*getting

BandB,
    I’d put Aarons in, but we ned cover. That is why I think we need a wide forward or genuine winger to add depth, rather than Austin or someone similar.

• optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Lg/BandB

I’d like to think it’s 3or4 more first teamers, we’ll have to wait see lol.

I agree we’ll struggle to offload some, there’s several I don see fitting into SM style. I didn’t think Willo was to bad last night and I’d prefer to off load Saylor and Collo first due to fitness and commitment, Willo is bonk but a real pro.

• optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I hate saying wait and see..

Screw you op!

Yes I am talking to myself I’m not a multiple poster, multiple personalities maybe.

• BandB

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM

OP

I agree with Jail. As a FOURTH choice centre half he has the perfect virtue that he never breaks and none of his failings are down to a poor attitude.

Lil,

One of those then please.

Then, after loading up the ship with a nice new battery of guns, perhaps we’ll fix the hole in the hull.

• Jamseyd24

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I think if we get Mitrovic we should spend 25 mil minimum sorting out the defense. Then clear a few guys out.

• magpiesi

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Op

Colo,willo,ferguson, marveux and one or two more out of contract eos so that’s two first team players gone and freeing up around 110k per week (70)(40) collo willo and around 40k for marveux. It will be tiote/cisse and maybe sissoko this window if the Frenchman doesn’t fit in.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM

BandB,
    In fairness, you could say that we need cover in most areas of the pitch. It is only central midfield where I think we have a reasonable depth to it with De Jong, Wijnaldum, Tiote, Anita, Colback, Sissoko and Abeid – then there is Bigi potentially as well. Goalkeepers is well stocked, need to get Woodman out on loan though.

Everywhere else needs back up or starters if we are to really push for the European spots and a cup. A lot of work for one summer. I think we should look to fix the hole in the hull now, otherwise we could sink before we get a chance next summer.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Yo…I hope we will play differently under McClaren and I hope we’ll see some big changes…

…for me if we sign Mitrovic and someone like Berahino I’ll drive Cisse to the nearest bus myself!

• Jib

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Not much chance of being able to see the Portland game.
    Kicking off at the same time
    Man U v San Jose
    Barcelona v LA Galaxy

• WWSBRD

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM

magpiesi
    U think Willo is on 40k a week? Or did I read that wrong?

• BandB

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Lil

I don’t think they will ever sign up to specialist cover for every position, which is why everyone everyone should ideally be able to play a couple of roles effectively.
    Like your CF/Wideman.

• magpiesi

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM

He’s not on more than 40 it’s more 30k plus extras.

• optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Magpiesi

Except Cisse I wouldn’t miss any of those.

I see Cisse going if we get Mitrovic, as he’ll be our 9 IMO

I’d like to see Berihinio (sorry love) can’t see us stumping that sort of cash.

We’re desperate for a commanding CB, I’d happily let Charnley blow the remaing budget on cb’s once we sign Mitrovic.
    Loads of midfielders and if we kept Cisse we’d be ok up top.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Lilongwe…there’s alot of holes to fill and plenty to re-dig!!!

…alot of work ahead for one lazy GM!

• WWSBRD

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I don’t think he’s on anywhere close to that mate, last I heard he was on between 15-20k

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM

BandB…seeing as a cover for each position makes up 22 players and we had more than we could register last season I most say I don’t quite follow you!

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Pleased anita is doing well. Always liked him and it shows how certain players dont suit certain managers. I reckon carr and pardew must have hated each other! As i said before i have a feeling sissoko wont suit us now. I wud be worried re de jong . Not sure if he is going to regain his fitness of when he was at peak.

• Belfast

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I’m sorry but De Jong looks knackered in the friendlies. For somebody who’s been training hard all summer that doesn’t bode well.

I have a hunch he’ll get a lot of stick on here next season.

• nut meg

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM

SM did say he’s looking at 3 transfer windows to get the kind of side he wants. We can’t do everything in this window but we can get some of the main men in so I expect to see CBs…..he says with fingers crossed.

• optimistic prime

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM

BandB

There’s a few with bad attitude for me their the ones I’d clear out the squad, Sissoko Colo Obertan etc then Saylor etc with injuries.

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

We certainly need more players not just “purples”. Its good that bigi may be developed as a full back as we need cover and he has the speed that steve will want to get fullbacks forward. But guys like aarons will get injuries and we need pace on both flanks. I have a feeling we will see more of gouffy than i had thought?

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Nut meg thats what i have been saying too. We need patience but steve has said he has seen the plans and is excited and i trust him but it will take time