The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gini Wijnaldum – I Feel At Home In This Club Already

11:15 am, Sunday, July 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 140 Comments

Georginio (Gini) Wijnaldum played his first game for Newcastle in Sacramento last night local time, and he cam eon after 70 minutes for Siem de Jong, and at least got a taste of playing for Newcastle but with Massadio Haidara having just been sent off he was deployed in a more defensive role than we think he will play next season.

georginio wijnaldum sacramento

Gini Wijnaldum – great technique

This is what Gini said on the Newcastle web-site after the game:

“It feels good to wear the shirt. I waited a few days for my first game but it felt really good.”

“I came on when we were 1-0 up but we had got the red card just before, so I knew the final part of the game was going to be tough.”

“It was a good result. In the first half it was difficult because they had a man free in midfield between the lines.”

“But we played well in the second half and then when the red card came we stayed compact and saw the game out well.”

“You always play to win matches and if you get into a winning habit then it is good. The performances matter and normally with good performances come good results.”

“We have to learn from every game at this stage of the season though, whatever the result.” “At the national team, when you are new you must stand up and speak for a minute, but I have never had to sing before.”

“I chose ‘Who the Cap Fit’ by Bob Marley, but it was not good!”  “I didn’t get to finish it because everyone threw their napkins at me and booed. Singing is definitely not my talent!”

“My teammates have helped me to feel at home. They are like a family already – they speak with me, they hang out with me and make jokes with me, so I feel at home in this Club already.”

Those last three sentences are about his initiation at Newcastle at the staff dinner on his first night in Sacramento, and it was in front of the coaches and the rest of the playing staff

Looks like he sang ¨Who the Cap Fit¨ as part of his initiation – we’re pleased we didn’t hear his rendition.

Gini can be a great player for us next season,  and it looks like we could be getting a couple more through the door in the next few days, according to Steve McClaren.

Tags: Friendlies · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Transfer News and Rumours

140 responses so far ↓

• 1 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

You’re doing all my posting here for me, agree with your views on the midfield entirely.

——-De Jong—Wijnaldum—-

With de Jong more of an attacking role, Wijnaldum box to box, and Anita the link between defence and midfield.

• 2 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I find it increasingly difficult not to really like this lad and get excited by his signing…similar to when Cabaye signed

• 3 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Just read McLarens comments one or two in, we have a very good squad.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Haha, apologies for that. I think that is how it pieces together so far, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

If Mitro ever signs, I’m not counting my chickens just yet, then that front 3 looks very good. Cisse steps in if Mitro needs a break/injured/suspended, and replace Goofy or Rivi in the squad places with centre forward who can play wide, or some genuine width with significant end product.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I do tend to agree with Lilongwe on Berahino being the perfect match for us now with Mitrovic hopefully signed!

I agree with Our Toon on Austin. If we go for him we should wait until January. He’s not a £15M player and with his contract running out in 2016 it would be crazy paying that for him.

It will either be one of the big clubs paying that (because they really don’t care) or a club out of desperation (could be us or WHam).

Yo…frankly just disagree with you on this one…and I wouldn’t let you anywhere near my wallet ????

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:26 AM

He said he wanted 4 or 5 in earlier in the summer, so I hope it is one or two more after Mitro and Mbemba. I imagine that it is one or two more in and then see who we can offload of those not wanted before trying for anymore. Sadly, I can’t see many clubs being after our players.

Rumours of serious interest in Willo, but pretty much no takers for anyone else, as expected in most cases.

• 7 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM

He said we have a good squad.
    He has to really.
    He suggested earlier that he thought we needed four.
    He’ll probably satisfied with three. I wonder what he’d really think about just two?

• 8 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Will you stop DOING that!

• 9 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:28 AM

On Austin u mean? I’d still take him again not bothered about the price is take Berahino too though his attitude is rancid and he’d be touting himself for bigger as soon as he stepped through the door but he’s a solid speedy player who can score from outside the box…don’t think he would be a starter at CF though

• 10 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Has the club said something as I haven’t read of any rumours about other clubs coming in for some of our players ?

Everton and Villa appear to be the targets. Before them Southampton lost two excellent players.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Yo…on Austin yeah 😉

I think we can agree on other things

• 12 magpiesi // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM

For a winger I wouldn’t mind Kevin Mirrales from Everton he’s fast can play left or right has a free kick and scores goals. Could get him for 8-12 m, spurs were linked with him last season but they couldn’t off load Lamela,Dembele,or Townsend.

• 13 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lots of people are putting Aarons in.
    Who is his cover?
    Given that he is young and has had gammy legs.
    He’s going to need careful handling.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

I’m just gutting in everyones way today!

• 15 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Lilled again!

• 16 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Yo…I think Berahino will end up at a club like Chelski and warm their bench or side track his career!

…the attitude will be his downfall if hr doesn’t choose the right club over money and prestige!

• 17 cestriasteve // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

I like Anita there, I’d like to see De Jong behind Mitrovic,I’m no good at doing the rest.

• 18 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Haha the odd thing am sure haha

Mitrovic looks good though but I don’t think he will be with us for all that long unless things truly have drastically changed. If we get him then we don’t NEED another striker really but still be fun to get one

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I’d put Aarons in, but we ned cover. That is why I think we need a wide forward or genuine winger to add depth, rather than Austin or someone similar.

• 20 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I’d like to think it’s 3or4 more first teamers, we’ll have to wait see lol.

I agree we’ll struggle to offload some, there’s several I don see fitting into SM style. I didn’t think Willo was to bad last night and I’d prefer to off load Saylor and Collo first due to fitness and commitment, Willo is bonk but a real pro.

• 21 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I hate saying wait and see..

Screw you op!

Yes I am talking to myself I’m not a multiple poster, multiple personalities maybe.

• 22 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM

I agree with Jail. As a FOURTH choice centre half he has the perfect virtue that he never breaks and none of his failings are down to a poor attitude.

One of those then please.

Then, after loading up the ship with a nice new battery of guns, perhaps we’ll fix the hole in the hull.

• 23 Jamseyd24 // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I think if we get Mitrovic we should spend 25 mil minimum sorting out the defense. Then clear a few guys out.

• 24 magpiesi // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Colo,willo,ferguson, marveux and one or two more out of contract eos so that’s two first team players gone and freeing up around 110k per week (70)(40) collo willo and around 40k for marveux. It will be tiote/cisse and maybe sissoko this window if the Frenchman doesn’t fit in.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM

In fairness, you could say that we need cover in most areas of the pitch. It is only central midfield where I think we have a reasonable depth to it with De Jong, Wijnaldum, Tiote, Anita, Colback, Sissoko and Abeid – then there is Bigi potentially as well. Goalkeepers is well stocked, need to get Woodman out on loan though.

Everywhere else needs back up or starters if we are to really push for the European spots and a cup. A lot of work for one summer. I think we should look to fix the hole in the hull now, otherwise we could sink before we get a chance next summer.

• 26 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Yo…I hope we will play differently under McClaren and I hope we’ll see some big changes…

…for me if we sign Mitrovic and someone like Berahino I’ll drive Cisse to the nearest bus myself!

• 27 Jib // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Not much chance of being able to see the Portland game.
    Kicking off at the same time
    Man U v San Jose
    Barcelona v LA Galaxy

• 28 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM

U think Willo is on 40k a week? Or did I read that wrong?

• 29 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:55 AM

I don’t think they will ever sign up to specialist cover for every position, which is why everyone everyone should ideally be able to play a couple of roles effectively.
    Like your CF/Wideman.

• 30 magpiesi // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM

He’s not on more than 40 it’s more 30k plus extras.

• 31 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Except Cisse I wouldn’t miss any of those.

I see Cisse going if we get Mitrovic, as he’ll be our 9 IMO

I’d like to see Berihinio (sorry love) can’t see us stumping that sort of cash.

We’re desperate for a commanding CB, I’d happily let Charnley blow the remaing budget on cb’s once we sign Mitrovic.
    Loads of midfielders and if we kept Cisse we’d be ok up top.

• 32 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Lilongwe…there’s alot of holes to fill and plenty to re-dig!!!

…alot of work ahead for one lazy GM!

• 33 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I don’t think he’s on anywhere close to that mate, last I heard he was on between 15-20k

• 34 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM

BandB…seeing as a cover for each position makes up 22 players and we had more than we could register last season I most say I don’t quite follow you!

• 35 Munster Mag // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Pleased anita is doing well. Always liked him and it shows how certain players dont suit certain managers. I reckon carr and pardew must have hated each other! As i said before i have a feeling sissoko wont suit us now. I wud be worried re de jong . Not sure if he is going to regain his fitness of when he was at peak.

• 36 Belfast // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I’m sorry but De Jong looks knackered in the friendlies. For somebody who’s been training hard all summer that doesn’t bode well.

I have a hunch he’ll get a lot of stick on here next season.

• 37 nut meg // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM

SM did say he’s looking at 3 transfer windows to get the kind of side he wants. We can’t do everything in this window but we can get some of the main men in so I expect to see CBs…..he says with fingers crossed.

• 38 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM

There’s a few with bad attitude for me their the ones I’d clear out the squad, Sissoko Colo Obertan etc then Saylor etc with injuries.

• 39 Munster Mag // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

We certainly need more players not just “purples”. Its good that bigi may be developed as a full back as we need cover and he has the speed that steve will want to get fullbacks forward. But guys like aarons will get injuries and we need pace on both flanks. I have a feeling we will see more of gouffy than i had thought?

• 40 Munster Mag // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Nut meg thats what i have been saying too. We need patience but steve has said he has seen the plans and is excited and i trust him but it will take time

• 41 why oh why // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Annita was pony but not for want of trying.
    Just shows how inept pardew and carver were.
    We I think are going to have a real go this season. And it’s been a long time coming. Ashley may have seen the light he’s realised the potential this club has . Fair play to the man he is keeping to his word and spending

• 42 hibbit // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM

willo is on 20k

• 43 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM

SDJ didn’t look to sharp, except the first couple minutes when he flicked a ball to cisse he seemed to far away and well off the pace.

I don’t think the 433 suits him not mobile enough that’s why I see it being 4231.

Janmaat—2 new — CBS—— Hyadra

I see that as sm prefered 11 unless we get wingers, SDJ linking everything staying foward and Aaron’s and Perez dropping back when we don’t have the ball and joint mitro when we do.

He may choose different players but ATM I’d say that’s the strongest 11 for that sort of play if SDJ shows he ain’t crocked.

• 44 overtheline // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM

I’m going with the Austin OOT Abdenour IN crowd – we need to build from the back.
    A two footed wide man also would be useful …Aarons is not going to play every game.

• 45 hibbit // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:26 PM

if you build anything you have to have solid foundations get the back four sorted then we can move on

• 46 Jamseyd24 // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Belfast, my fellow country man, I disagree with you comment about De jong. If he stays fit I think he will guarantee 5 – 10 goals. That doesn’t sound that great but compared to our mid field in recent years thats a lot.

• 47 nut meg // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Absolutely…..solid ground, not sand!

• 48 OneAlanShearer // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM

I suspect we would want mitrovic and Austin because they intend to cash in on cisse. I suspect tiote will also go.

• 49 Reyantoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM

People shouting for central defender to be signed.I know we need atleast one but what is the point if we don’t have a proper defensive MF
    like Tiote,to cover the back four? Last season we conceeded too many goals because we haven’t had a replacement for Tiote when he got sidelined for too long.They should (sm & co.) get Tiote super fit if they decided he is part of their plan.Tiote is a key player for the team in mf when fit,eventhough he struggled a bit last season.Abeid and Anita are useless in my book.
    They both had one good game in the entire 10 month.They need to work on Tiote when they return home next week!
    It doesn’t matter evenif we sign world class center back if we don’t have someone astute in midfield to cover the back four!!

• 50 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Is there any truth were in for Abdennour?

• 51 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Why Oh Why

Well so far he has spent about half of what we’d spent at the same stage last season.
    IF Mitrovic comes in it will be roughly the same amount.
    We were a relegation side last season.
    He has made a more ambitious type of signing,and that is encouraging.
    But we are not in a different ball park yet, as last night’s game showed.

• 52 Jamseyd24 // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Does anyone give young Lascelles a chance this season?? would love to see more Brits in the team. The main reason I would like Austin is he is a decent English forward.

• 53 B1GSTEVE // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I never thought I would hear Tiote described as ‘astute’.

• 54 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Waiting to hear from the club that Mitro has passed his medical is a bit disconcerting, can understand that there may well be 2 deals going through with Mbemba purportedly at advanced stages too, but the silence is deafening.
    Just a little clarification is all we ask, so we can stop the demons of the Remy deal from sneaking into our thoughts. 🙁

• 55 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Benteke to the bin dippers agreed

• 56 Jib // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM

I don’t find it disconcerting at all.
    The club always has (since long before Ashley) played their cards close to the chest.
    The fact that nowadays there are leaks all over the media will not change their modus operandi and I think that is right and professional.

• 57 mickalfas // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM

I reckon it’ll be rebuilding for the next 2 seasons ,to sort out the mess they’ve created in the last 8 years
    The money is not available to do it now ,and it can’t be good to have another 6 players in now ,half the seasons gone before they get used to each other

• 58 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Benteke and around £20mil for sterling.

Canny deal for any team

• 59 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Didnt see the game… can anyone tell me how Anita actually played? I have seen differing opinions. Tanging from very well to “pony”. Which is it? 😀

• 60 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM

• 61 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM

He played well enough, there was no real stand outs. Perez and Aaron’s were lively.
    Haidra being sent off sort of spoiled it.

Some people just don’t like certain players, I’m guilty of it.

• 62 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM

I was more dissapointed with SDJ and Sissoko, SDJ miles off the pace and Sissoko being Sissoko

• 63 SUTTY1978 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Pretty obvious that SMc doesn’t see Aarons or Perez as starters hence why they have been coming off the bench in all the games so far. Wish he felt the same way about Colback, remember when he first came in and everyone was hoping and praying that he wouldn’t be a starter and that he wasn’t Cabaye’s replacement?
    Looks lI’ve McClaren is from the Pardew school of stick with the senior players. If you watched Derby at all last year you would have seen the amount of times that the alleged 10m player and star player Will Hughes started on the bench

• 64 expatmag // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:12 PM

I would imagine that considering it was a practice match played in 33 degree heat, most of the players were putting in a lot less than 100%.

It is not worth risking injury for what is nothing more than a glorified training session.

• 65 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Cheers OP

I quite like Anita, and would like to see him fit in yo our MF somehow. Sissoko needs to find a part of his game to be good at, otherwise he’ll be worthless to us. He seems to just drift around in games. I am disturbed to see a few disapointed reviews of SDJ. I hope he doesnt end up another dud.

• 66 John Tudor // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM

B1GSTEVE // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I never thought I would hear Tiote described as ‘astute’.
    more like a statue on the ball

• 67 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Paul Simpson said in an interview by the time we get to Sheffield/York games, you can expect pretty much what they imagine the team against Southampton will be.

• 68 Jib // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Your thinking on these games is totally misplaced.
    These are warm up preseason games
    The reason Aarons and Perez don’t get started is cos he knows all about them.
    Games like this are used by coaches to have a look at players they ain’t sure about , the result is relatively inconsequential.

• 69 Rotonda heights // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM

jamsey at 52

why? I couldn’t give a rats where they’re from if they’re good enough. our last team of brits: owen, duff, given, barton, butt , saylor etc took us down.

• 70 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Sissoko’s 1st touch and passing are terrible for a international player.

He needs to work on his game big time, had a first team spot guaranteed for to long.

SDJ doesn’t seem to cover the ground very well, looks like he’s in quick sand at times. Hope it was just the heat otherwise he’ll get stuck in the mud come winter.

• 71 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM

“what is the point if we don’t have a proper defensive MF
    like Tiote,to cover the back four? Last season we conceeded too many goals because we haven’t had a replacement for Tiote when he got sidelined for too long..”

Sorry mate, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I had to lol at that statement.

Simply put, central defenders are there to defend the central area of the back line. To do what they can (within the rules of the game), to break up play before the opposition get close enough to shoot and to prevent goal scoring opportunities.

Ours don’t!
    We need some that do!!!

The absence of Tiote and subsequent failure to play Bigi (who was just as suitable and far less prone to jumping in), compounded our failings at the back.
    But if we had central defenders who knew how to defend, which as professional central defenders they should, we’d have conceded far fewer goals.

• 72 nut meg // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Anita passes the ball as accurate as any others,better than most.He moves the ball around quicker,short & sharp pass & move,retains possession which is what SM wants so IMHO he’s every chance to be an important part of the system. The game was a very decent workout that will push them further along the road to fitness etc.

• 73 nearly // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:25 PM

hang fire a bit he has trained hard all summer so has a certain level of fitness, he needs games, games and more games,it makes a massive difference to fitness for a footballer , also remember the time difference will be playing a big part regarding looking knackered

• 74 SUTTY1978 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:27 PM

So he knows all about them but doesn’t know all about Colback, Anita, Willo? You’ve lost me there,
    You’re right in that preseason games should be about trying out players and positions, so why not try starting some of the younger players instead of basically using the same crap formation that didn’t work for Pardew? Everyone hated it when we played 4231 as it didn’t work with the “senior” players we have, still doesn’t. Don’t be surprised to see Gouffy lining up on the left wing against Southampton.

• 75 magpiesi // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:29 PM

If we get these players out I think these will be the replacements

Willo/saylor-Tomkins knows the league and adds height

Tiote-fer. he’s younger physical and good on the ball

Cisse-Austin. Looking like possibly January as Austin will be reduced in price and doubt he will sign a new contract at qpr. Maybe Dost a cheaper deal this summer.

Cabella/riviere – Townsend from spuds he is 23 left footed and can play either side.

Some youngsters along with mbemba the rest I think we need to move people on first as Ashley wouldn’t want to pay wages for a player to just pick up without playing.

• 76 anthc // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:30 PM

I thought sdj looked like his brother last season before he got injured so undecided on him. I think tiote and cisse could be away. Another session to get alot of praise on here but personally don’t see him getting into the starting 11. Gini moussa colback cabella sdj tote if he stays all ahead of him imo.

• 77 SUTTY1978 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:31 PM

To follow up on my comments about Colback, even Wijnaldum had a pop saying that they had a man free between the lines, because Colback was running round like a headless chicken as usual

• 78 anthc // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Anita gets alot of praise. This bloody phone!

• 79 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Personally I think SDJ is doing the right thing.
    He’s getting game time, putting in little sprints here and there to test himself, he has after all just missed virtually the whole of last season.
    His speed of thought seems to be as sharp as ever, certainly far sharper than Cisse.

We’re not a cohesive unit yet, playing in McClaren’s new play style, but it will come, it just takes time.

On the whole I think our play is far more attractive to watch than we’ve been used to recently.
    Was great to see Woody get some game time too, and some decent saves, ditto for Krul.

• 80 Tsunki // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:36 PM

If SDJ ‘s lungs are shot it’s like pushing a chronic asthmatic onto the pitch.

• 81 Noel Worst // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Folk drawing far too many conclusions from these friendlies. Some ready to bin the likes of SDJ, ridiculous in the extreme.

If you don’t understand the purpose of a pre-season by now, maybe a less complex ‘sport’ like darts is for you.

Saw one 50+ guy on the Twattershphere raging because we only won 1-0 – overgrown bairns with some issues besides the footy behind it I feel. Too many of these types around.

• 82 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Anita does seem like a SM Type player. Gini could be the hard man in MF.

• 83 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Spuds expected to put a £15m bid in for Berahino.

Would have preferred him to Austin if it’s actually true we’re after 2 strikers rather than 1.
    Far more flexible and actually a better option than Austin imo.

• 84 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Fair assessment

Nut meg

I agree on Anita, I see him being the first on McLarens sheet, I’d guess Windi alongside him.

• 85 JamesToon // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Fully agree with both Noel and switch

• 86 voodoo85 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Speaks very well for me, his comments about it being tough due to their spare man etc and being compact after the red card shows he is a clever player – thinking about team shape etc

• 87 mickalfas // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Pirlo has no pace,but what a player !
    Hopefully SDJ has a brain to make up for a lack of pace imo

• 88 check the toastie // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:42 PM

In a midfield two such as last night Anita and Colback play too deep and will never worry the opposition by getting past the ball. Only one will play hopefully, Wijnuldam will come in and offer a goal threat from the middle of the park ala Rob Lee, its been a long time coming.

I’m not that bothered which one gets the nod, both have different strengths and weaknesses. Actually could do with a top class dm, but beggars can’t be chooses.

Siem De Jong is a cross between Kevin Nolan and Teddy Sheringham, a bit of a luxury, no real pace but I’m sure will bag the goals once sharp, he needs to show proper drive and workrate mind or I will be on his case.. He’s not my type of player as I love pace in attacking players but we should have enough pace around him hopefully, if we don’t we could end up pretty toothless.

• 89 geordie157 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:43 PM

There’s a few players who should benefit from a change in style, Anita being the main one but als Cabella and Bigi.
    Hoping Abeid can stay in the mix too! We definitely need another winger and with his premier league experience and pace Townsend fits the bill plus he can play on both wings.

• 90 WLtoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Can fellow bloggers please leaveMitrovic out of their 1st choice 11.
    He is not an NUFC player yet,and the longer he is in London without signing for us the less chance its going to happen.
    If its not done tomorrow it wont happen, Sorry to spoil the party lads.

• 91 Munster Mag // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I wonder if cabella could play sdj position or is he just not physically strong enough? I dont trust sdj’s body!

• 92 toon kk // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Geordie 157
    There is quite a few players that won’t benefit which ever style we play, they’re simply not good enough.

• 93 check the toastie // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Anita has shown why our football has totally changed within the space of two weeks with new coaches, its gunna be a much better season than I care to remember IMO..

We have been served up utter dross since Parsnip arrived. Awful Man.

• 94 John Tudor // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:52 PM

he went to chelski my mum knows his granny

• 95 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Instead of moaning about the moaners why don’t people debate and put their opinion across.

Saying someone is over the top or people are whinging all the time adds nothing to the blog, no new point no new opinion and nothing new to debate or discuss.

That said, sorry about moaning about the moaners but IMO it’s boring and tiresome.
    If you have a opinion say it, if your going to whinge have your cry somewhere else.

• 96 check the toastie // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Currently I would claim Siem De Jong is playing in Perez’s rightful position, god knows how Cisse gets a start in front of the kid, let him loose..

He could turn into a pleasant Suarez if he starts finding the net a bit more.

• 97 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM

And maybe even Satka, cause dropping Willo is a must imo.

• 98 hibbit // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM

the main plus of SDJ is his football brain a lot on here will have to eat there words he is doing pre season in exactly the right manor slow steady build up working towards peak fitness after a long brake

• 99 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Still reckon Carvup and Stone had more to do with our poor play that Percy. Negative tactics are one thing, but still, if better implemented and coached, would have look3d better than they did. Once Carver had full control, the results made pardews tactics look like Barca’s!! (Ok slight exageration, but you het the drift).

• 100 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Deja Vue
    The longer Mitrovic hangs around London the more it is becoming like the Remy move

• 101 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Offering Arma out on loan to the likes of Bournmouth, Watford or Norwich with the proviso that he’s not able to play any match against us, would help bring him on leaps and bounds.

Would also enable him to score against the Mackems which would be a hoot 🙂

• 102 Rotonda heights // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:01 PM

was with you up till you mentioned townsend!

• 103 JamesToon // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Players who I think aren’t good enough no matter what style of play or who’s in charge:

• 104 check the toastie // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM

No doubt Pardews coaches where inept, but the buck stops with Percy, I take it he can’t coach? In that respect full credit to crystal palaces coaching team for getting them 10th last year. I personally believe everyone of them where utter guff, woodman included.

A total disgrace. However my last word on Percy, things are looking up. Hopefully you boys are right about De Jong, he defo has a clever footy brain, needs to hit ground running when season kicks off. Cisse gets worse an all, which won’t he him.

• 105 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Agree, and the jury is still or for rivière

• 106 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:05 PM

That’s rich coming for the chief moaner.

• 107 check the toastie // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Jamestown – totally agree

• 108 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM

England are so bad at cricket btw

• 109 Reyantoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:07 PM

switch365 – Correct,everyone is entitled to thier own opinion but sometimes it’s hard to simply accept the wrong assessment or evaluation.
    Center backs can’t defend everything that comes in thier way.They need additional cover infront of them.Why do you think we had successfull season in 2011?
    We had the same center back that season that we have now.We had success because the likes of Tiote was fit and cover the back four properly.
    They were rarely vulnerable when he was there.
    He holds the ball well,calms the back four,as well as the rest of the Mf.
    I know some of our cdf are not accomplished center backs but if they had someone extra infront of them to cover,we wouldn’t have conceeded too many goals.I’m not saying we don’t need some,but evenif we brought someone better,it won’t make much difference if u don’t have proper Dmf like Tiote.Bigirimana had terrible season not to cover, for different reason,
    i remember some kind of drug or something problem mentioned.Evenif he played,i don’t think he’d have made much difference as he haven’t had enough games!!

• 110 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM

As much as I like Perez I wouldn’t want him starting every game, same goes for Aaron’s. At the minute needs must due to the poor options.

I’d like to think they’d be part of a strong bench, starting a few EPL games and all cup games. If they prove they’re ready fair enough but I’d worry about burning them out and the pressure.

• 111 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Well I’m tired today after watching the match this morning, some people question why i follow the toon, not many fans that are not a geordie but supports them get up early hours to watch a match.

Hopefully that will answer the muppets who questioned me.

• 112 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM

I wonder if we will sign the 2 players tomorrow.

• 113 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:15 PM

3 posts with no points on football
    Just digs and critisim of other posters.
    Proving again why he’s one of the most unpopular boring posters on the blog.

Take a bow Welcher

• 114 geordie157 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:15 PM

few Townsend haters out there so i’ll swap my winger and go Dutch… Narsingh.

Janmaat, Mbemba, CB, Haidara
    Wijnaldum, Anita
    Narsingh, De Jong, Aarons

• 115 nearly // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM

why do people think players like bigi,and abeid are good enough to be given a chance,imo nowhere near good enough

• 116 JamesToon // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Real ambition, go for Shaqiri

• 117 nut meg // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM

If you like pace in your attacking players you’ll love Obertan then. lol
    GEORDIE 157
    Townsend , not for me thanks. Really a poor player imho.

• 118 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:22 PM

2 out of three actually.

How the hell you can count my third comment as a dig.

• 119 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM

With marveaux and Cabella injured. We need two forwards, two wingers, two centre backs and maybe a right back.

• 120 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:26 PM

And my second post where i said I watched the match, did you stay up to watch your team.

• 121 Bambams // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Rumours on twitter that Mitrovic is either on his way or is at the training ground now.
    Stopped off in London for medical and work permit yesterday.

• 122 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:40 PM

So unpopular even Jeff changed his name to avoid any association.

• 123 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Most unpopular and boring poster? Don’t give my title away

• 124 Reyantoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM

nearly –

• 125 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM

I take it Mitrovic hasn’t signed yet? Any update on his big ageless CB friend?

• 126 DaraghL // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I think a lot of people are taking far too much from the preseason so far. It’s about getting back into fitness, finding your touch again and preparing for a new season.

Sacramento were at home and are mid season. It was a good run out for the lads.

Agree a new centre back is required, 2 would be ideal; however a second could wait for another window if not available.

P.s. Don’t call Irish people British. Thanks.

• 127 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Haha, you could give him comedy tips as well 😉

• 128 John Tudor // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:46 PM

he was there

• 129 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:47 PM

call me cynical
    Not that I/we know of – Probs still sitting in London waiting from a offer from one of the London clubs.

• 130 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Haha I wouldn’t like to show myself up with comedy touts, I’ll stick to my questionable thoughts on football

• 131 welshgeordie9 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:49 PM

I would rather be unpopular than a arse licker, let’s face it theres to many of those on here.

Sad but true.

• 132 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:51 PM

He could well be mate though surely he would of pushed for the Porto move if that was the case

• 133 John Tudor // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:52 PM

stfu moanin minnie

• 134 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM

NUFC have a strange ability to make players disappear without any trace, we’ve done it with Mitrovic before he’s even signed.

• 135 ronjohno // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Reports Aston Villa to use part of money received for Benteke to buy Austin.

Serves us right for dithering.

• 136 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM

A fair assessment on what Tiote or a capable dm brings to the team, however.
    2011-12 was the exception rather than the rule

2011-12 gf 56 ga 51
    2012-13 gf 45 ga 68
    2013-14 gf 43 ga 59
    2014-15 gf 40 ga 63

Last season Tiote only played till xmas, but he was playing in the years preceeding and our cb’s were the same too.

My point is not that you’re incorrect about the effectiveness of a solid reliable dm.
    It’s that Willo who could quite easily take the nickname of Lee Clark (jigsaw- cause he always falls to pieces in the box), is a donkey with no actual footballing talent, who flaps at the first sign of the opposition.
    And Colo, who’s spacial awareness seems to be non-existent, goes wondering and leaves a canyon behind him.
    Played a one-off half decent season and have failed to come even close, since then.

We’ve never had a pair of top quality cb’s in my lifetime as far as I remember, we’ve also never won anything other than the Anglo-Italian cup in ’73 and the Texaco cup in ’74 and ’75 … wonder if it’s just coincidence?

• 137 Jib // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I notice OP ducked the Q about staying up to watch the Toon
    OP plastic fan
    Ha ha ha

• 138 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I didn’t stay up to watch the match am I plastic now?

• 139 switch365 // Jul 19, 2015 at 3:01 PM

“Switch365 thinks the reason we conceeded too many goals and our season went terrible is because we haven’t gave chance to the likes of Bigirimana and Abeid!”

When did I say that exactly?

What I actually said is – “Would like to see Abeid, Bigi, Aarons and Arma given a starting place at Portland.
    And maybe even Satka, cause dropping Willo is a must imo.”

• 140 Altamullan // Jul 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM

I sense I am really going to like Gini Wij-aye-man; switched-on and competitive. Mitrovic in ye olde lon-don…don’t have any more facts than others, but my guess is quicker medical, easier link-up with squad, debut on 21st (sub). Hope his CB team mate comes too – even if only to compare false documents with CT! We’ve a lot of midfielders at the mo, and even though I have really admired Cheick Tiote (great with Cabaye) wouldn’t be too upset to see him go (right price). Also, think we’ve seen everything Obertan, Gouffran, Rivière, and Cabella ( latter may do a JonDahl on us…) have to offer, and it is not enough.

previous post: McClaren Not Happy After Sacramento Win