The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Not Happy After Sacramento Win

10:14 am, Sunday, July 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

Steve McClaren was not pleased that Massadio Haidara was sent off after 65 minutes – when the tackle wasn’t that bad – and after all it’s a pre-season friendly.

That’s two 1-0 wins in our first three pre-season games, but the results don’t mean much – except when you win.

We did have luck on our side and Sacramento Republic looked a good side who played some good football  right from the first whistle.

georginio wijnaldum sacramento

Georginio Wijnaldum in action last night – played for 20 minutes

This is what McClaren told the Chronicle after the game:

“It’s a pre-season friendly.” “There was no malice in the challenge, he wasn’t looking at the man he was looking at the ball.”

“It looked bad because he clashed with the opponent.”  “It was a rash challenge and a rash red card.”

“It was disappointing but it made our boys work harder in the last 20 minutes.”  “I thought Sacramento were very good.”

“We watched the game against Sunderland and thought: ‘This won’t be an easy game’.”

“They had good ability, they played good football and the coach has done a great job to play how they do.”

“We had difficulties in the first half. We were too deep and had no tempo.” “We were decent on the ball in the second half and pressed a little better and got the goal.”

“We had ten men after an unbelievable decision. But we kept the ball well.”

That’s a good summary from Steve, and we thought the lads did well when they went down to 10 men,  and played some possession football.

You cannot accuse our lads of not fighting for the ball, and there’s good evidence the team spirit is getting back to where it should be after least season’s disaster.

Rolando Aarons again looked sprightly when he came on for those last 20 minutes and Wijnaldum tasted his first action for Newcastle.

Newcastle ares till trying to get some rhythm in their game – which is not unusual for pre-season.

In case you didn’t know – just by chance – Sunderland were beaten 1-0 at Bonney Field earlier this week and played in front of a half empty stadium.

You can watch the whole game with American commentary.

Tags: Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target · Video

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Its going to take Mclaren a while to get the team playing the way he needs to it took Pochettino about 3 months to get Southampton fully adapted to his pressing style and that was during the season when the players will be fit !

On the same note Spurs never really adapted until he started playing the youngsters the senior “stars” never bought into it which I feel we may get a bit of that with Cisse and Sissoko who sometimes look like they cant be bothered you cant do that in a pressing team !

Obertan , Gouffran , Sissoko , Tiote , Colo and Cisse are our experienced core and they are the ones that let us down and cant be bothered a lot of the time their attitudes are going to have to change or need shipped out , Williamson and Taylor are poor technically but they do give 100% every time they are on the pitch !

A mixture of Dutch , Spanish and English players would be the best combination for hard work ethic and passing ability

• 2 rowly // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Janmaat mbemba abdennour haidara
    Sissoko wijnaldum
    Xaqiri de Jong cabella

• 3 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM

check the toastie

I agree with you that De Jong looks off the pace and Perez deserves a place but surely what De Jong needs is as much game time as possible and as such will need to start every pre-season game even if it means Perez doesn’t get as much time on the pitch. The big question is how much game time ?

The way the midfield is shaping up now it looks like Colback, Anita and Wijnaldum.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM

He will play Anita over Tiote I think. Tiote wasn’t a key member of McClaren’s Twente side. He was more often than not a sub. I think McClaren would be happy to sell Tiote to free up funds and a squad spot if someone came in for him.

Anita suits how McClaren wants them to play, and he is the only midfielder with the intelligence to know how to cover our full backs when they push on. That is going to be key as our full backs seem our best option for providing width on both flanks. Abeid could possibly come in and play that role, but I doubt the defensive positioning comes to him as naturally as it does Anita.

• 5 cyprus // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Hard to comment after a friendly and so soon. We were relatively comfortable, throughout, though we aren’t getting enough attacking chances.

It appears that Anita, Colback, Siss, SDJ, will be important this year. Anita was very comfortable, as was Colback. Siss will be taking inititative going forward. SDJ seems a clever player, though not sure he’s fit enough to play full games.

Aarons was impressive, and Perez must somewhow fitted in permanently, along with Mitro.

The team needs work, but early days, was ok. No idea how bad (or good) Sacramento is…

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM

I’d like to see Perez get game time on the right side. Leave Sissoko out and play Perez, Cisse (Mitro???), and Aarons as the attacking trio with De Jong slotting in behind.

If Mitro ever signs, the idea of him, Aarons, Perez and Arma after a few years of good development is pretty exciting and offers something of everything going forward.

• 7 Rotonda heights // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM

would much rather pay 15M for abdennour than austin. so refreshing that we really do seem to be going for quality now.

Mitrovic, m’bemba and abdennour would be insane and when was the last time anyone priorotised our defence for change!

• 8 sparky55 // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Maclaren is already making his mark…we’re playing possession football which is why players like Anita will be so much better and will play more under Maclaren

Hiadara looks good, Janmaat is a solid as you can get, our central defenders are pants but we all know that, SDJ, Arrons look very good, can’t see Tiote or Sissoko staying…just don’t see where they sit in Maclarens system, Winjy is class, and the rest will simply improve under better coaching…so all in all I’m confident we can threaten 7th

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM

On Adbennour, I’d like one or the other from him and Mbemba. Both are international starters and while it isn’t an issue this season, the following year they will both be off to the AFCON for 4-6weeks.

• 10 ShirebrookToon // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Lilongwe totally agree on Anita

• 11 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I’m hoping that the penny has dropped for Anita in that he now knows that the performance during the last game of last season has to be his benchmark for this season.

The only challenge to him is if McClaren favours De Jong in midfield alongside Colback (who could be captain) and Wijnaldum.

I agree that Anita looks the type of player that McClaren favours. Neat and tidy on the ball, Good passer of the ball. Rarely wastes a pass. And covers a lot of ground and is not afraid to get stuck in, especially for a little chap.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Neither Colback or De Jong can do the role Anita performs though. I think Colback is more under threat then Anita in the system McClaren has been using so far in pre season.

Still, it provides a good problem for McClaren, and to have more players that fit the system gives us greater options when players are off form.

• 13 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Lil @ 6

I can see us cashing in on selling Sissoko with Perez effortlessly slotting into the right wing.

Perez has more ability than Sissoko. Sissoko is good at running at people but Perez has the greater close ball control and is more adept at taking on opponents.

• 14 JDdubai // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Think Aarons-Mitrovic-Perez needs to be the front 3 for Soton.

Hopefully with SDJ and Wijnaldum we have a goal threat from midfield for once also.

Would be happy with either/both Abdennour and Mbemba although in a dram world Id take Shawcross as captain, never happen mind.

And if Shaqiri is for sale then i cant believe we dont go in for him, especially as our pursuit of Thauvin shows we are actively looking for a wide player. 12m from stoke was accepted wasnt it? Offer Sissoko and 5m, give him Sissoko’s ages plus 30k on top.

god im dreaming again…

• 15 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Lil @12

Completely agree

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Nothing to do with us, but I’d be very disappointed to see Patrick Roberts leave Fulham for Man City. He would be far better off remaining at Fulham, or moving to a club who can give him more game time if Fulham need to sell.

• 17 cyprus // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Sissoko bashing so early? ;0)

I think he will be pivotal to this team’s CL challenge. Along with the CF.

• 18 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Plenty of Sunday league tactics from Sacramento, few elbows flying.

Haven’t read the blog yet due to watching the match this morning but did anyone notice the toon players all had something down there tops?

Around the collar at back they all had something mobile phone size there, gps tracker or heart rate monitor?

Shame Hyadra went off as I’d like to have seen Aaron’s further foward with Perez.
    Not bad for pre season.

• 19 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Lil @ 12

Here I differ with you.

I think Colback is nearer to the role that Anita plays (and is good at) than De Jong.

At the moment De Jong doesn’t appear to have the stamina that both Colback and Anita have and need for their roles.

I can envisage three in midfield as Colback, Wijnaldum and Anita.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM

I don’t see Sissoko fitting in. He looked like a fish out of water for most of last nights game, and the one he thing he occasionally offered us last season, his driving runs from midfield, will be replaced by Wijnaldum who has far more ability to use the ball once getting forward.

If he did go I’d expect a wide forward – Berahinho – or an out and out winger to be bought. He shouldn’t be sold without a player arriving who can push for a starting spot.

• 21 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Mitrovic, Perez and possibly Aarons supported by Wijnaldum are the players to pull defenders about and unlock defences with pass and move football.
    I do wish we had Ben Arfa still.
    So much of what he played with after Ba left was players like Gouffran and Cisse standing about like statues.
    Perez had a breakthrough season. He is a player.
    I’d like to think Aarons now has a breakthrough season too.

• 22 WLtoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I dont think De Jong will be quite good enough but ive seen enough of Anita lately to have him in the starting line up for Southampton.
    Our game now is all about posession and he is a good passer.
    I think our focus now tho should be 2 CBs,so with that, how close are we to signing Mbembe?

• 23 magpiesi // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I think we need a cb with premiership expierance to slot in with a new cb from another league.

Collo isn’t going to be ready s o season fitness wise,
    Willo/Taylor the expieranced guys who could play but expect one at least to be gone by end of the window.

I think he will have someone in mind rumours it’s Tomkins of whu but we will have to wait a few weeks into the season to see who doesn’t get games for thier teams.

Ron Vlaar is another but he needs to be brought in now to get match fit.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I don’t think either Colback or De Jong can play the role Anita does. I think Colback is more of the driving force in the trio at the minute, which I see being the role Wijnaldum is more likely to cover in this side.

So I’d see it as Anita shielding the back line and allowing the full backs to push on, with Wijnaldum and De Jong in midfield but with De Jong operating in the more advanced role.

It would have been far easier if I’d just said Wijnaldum comes in for Colback…..

• 25 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM

I would prefer Sissoko, De Jong and Colback not to be automatic starters.
    While by no means rubbish, they smack to me of players bought for a style of play for which the time has passed.

• 26 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I don’t think Vlaar’s match fitness would be an issue he’s out injured until next year mate

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I disagree on De Jong. I think he would be quite comfortable playing in the style McClaren seems to be implementing. It is similar to the style he played in at Ajax.

Not sure for Colback, I still think he could be a decent squad player, and can do a job in our midfield, but he should never be viewed as an automatic first choice. It is a damning indictment of our squad last season that he was head and shoulders above the rest of our midfield.

• 28 hibbit // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

WL toon for the first time in years our MF has player to suit ever game and your dismissing them

• 29 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM

The commentary was cracking, those to have a future with channel 5..

Great save by Woodward eh Goodman sorry Woodman, lol

Cracking finish from their defender also, Dunne would have been proud with that one.

• 30 WWSBRD // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Bit harsh on de Jong no? He came from Ajax and barely played for us so never got into any rhythm of how we played under Pards and Carver

It was meant to be quite the coup when we signed him, I wouldn’t be shocked (if he stays fit that is) if he became a big player for us

• 31 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM

True….I’m thinking of the unfit lump I’ve seen so far.
    Clearly he needs to get fit and pick up his pace, and there’s time for that.
    How do you see Cabella fitting in to a first choice eleven?

• 32 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM

hibbit @ 28

I think you must have misread / misunderstood what WLtoon said.

I agree with WLtoon in that, as it stands today and granted things might change, De Jong may not be good enough for he Southampton game but Anita will.

• 33 Mr Funk // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Has anyone read the review of the game on They are not happy at all – generally saying it was dross and boring football

• 34 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM

I’ve read it.
    They don’t seem convinced, do they?

• 35 Slank // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM

BandB @ 31

Sadly, I don’t know where Cabella would fit in when fit.

In the pecking order of effectiveness I would say he is behind Aarons, Perez and Sissoko. He is almost certainly ahead of Goufran and Obertan but that isn’t saying much !

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Yeah, De Jong needs to prove his fitness and get up to speed. Hopefully he will, as he could become a very important player for us. Clever, can pick a pass and get goals. Exactly what we missed in the attacking midfield role last season.

No idea with Cabella, he is out until mid September according to something I read last week. Not sure how accurate that is, but if that is the case then he could really struggle. He wasn’t on speed with the Prem last year, and really needed a good pre season to be ready for this year.

If Aarons and /or De Jong stays fit then he surely is just a back up for now, which will mean he continues to struggle to adapt. I think he is replaceable, but I doubt he will go as it will leave too much rebuilding work for this window.

• 37 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM

I’ve always been a fan if Anita just thought our style of play never suited him.

I’d expect us to play a flexible 4231 which van turn into a 4411 or 433

I see us setting up like that depending on new editions, maybe Sissoko on one wing. Depends who we get in, that would be my starters.

• 38 magpiesi // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM

For a winger I wouldn’t mind Kevin Mirrales from Everton he’s fast can play left or right has a free kick and scores goals. Could get him for 8-12 m, spurs were linked with him last season but they couldn’t off load Lamela,Dembele,or Townsend.

• 39 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:15 AM

You’re doing all my posting here for me, agree with your views on the midfield entirely.

——-De Jong—Wijnaldum—-

With de Jong more of an attacking role, Wijnaldum box to box, and Anita the link between defence and midfield.

• 40 optimistic prime // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

I thought SDJ had stayed over summer to work on his fitness like Aaron’s.

• 41 toon kk // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Mr Funk
    we have a lot of boring average players and it comes out on the pitch.

• 42 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:17 AM

I agree. You mention three players there, and if you dropped them all into a blender they wouldn’t add up to one regular starter.
    One higher grade AM/winger would be better than the three of them.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM

I do tend to agree with Lilongwe on Berahino being the perfect match for us now with Mitrovic hopefully signed!

I agree with Our Toon on Austin. If we go for him we should wait until January. He’s not a £15M player and with his contract running out in 2016 it would be crazy paying that for him.

It will either be one of the big clubs paying that (because they really don’t care) or a club out of desperation (could be us or WHam).

Yo…frankly just disagree with you on this one…and I wouldn’t let you anywhere near my wallet 😉

• 44 cyprus // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM

I picked out some poor performers (some mentioned, some not) but will wait after the first… two matches to condemn. Or sell, as I see above! 🙂

• 45 BandB // Jul 19, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I don’t think there is any chance of Cabella being sold, and I wouldn’t want him sold this window.
    I hope we don’t sell anybody.

• 46 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM

You don’t want to sell anybody? Really?

• 47 WLtoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM

De Jong has showed absolutely nothing to convince me that he will be the success that we all expected.
    Ok,he,s had injuries and time will tell if,when fully fit and up to pace whether he cuts it of not.
    Just bcos he was captain of Ajax does,nt make him a guarenteed success in the EPL.

• 48 WLtoon // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Where the fcuk is Mitrovic>
    Latest rumour is he,s at The Bridge ffs

• 49 KaZuYa // Jul 19, 2015 at 1:45 PM

IMO the players need to work extra hard during this pre season to get as much match fitness as possible especially SDJ.. he is a good and clever player base on his performance during his ajax’s day..

I really hope we can get Mitrovic and preferably 2 new cb in a.s.a.p so they can settle in before Soton game.. I don’t mind who the new 2 cbs is as long as they are proven but 2 African players is a bit worrying when they leave for the African Cup.. so I would prefer Mbemba/abdennour pairing with de vrij/veltman/Tompkins..

If Ashley and Co are serious about their words then they should prepare to spend some more.. I’d say a dm who can do much better than anita Colback and tiote.. also a winger who can dribble and pin point crossing considering we do get Mitrovic..

Willo.. Goofy.. definitely need to be sold..
    Colo.. Sissoko.. Tiote.. Cisse also can go so we can get some funds for better players.

Janmaat New Cb New Cb Haidara
    New DM
    New Winger/SDJ Wijnaldum Aarons
    Austin Mitrovic

• 50 Brutooon // Jul 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM

1) Williamson still is an average league 1 quality.

2) Its just my opinion but anita is not a DM while colback is a box to box midfield (CM). We need a real defensive midfield player and then play either Anita OR colback.

3) Cisse still dont know how to get thru the offside trap – might be bz thinking of his 7th gf

4) its good that Mclaren said he is not happy after a win. rather than saying he is the best head coach after 7 losses (Carver, 2015)

• 51 loonie-toon // Jul 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Seen we was linked with Townsend threw week he would b a great signing at right price also get Austin in I would love c some English players in team if we got them two with gini,mitro,bdemba n one more cb we would b solid keep the players we got give them til jam then off load as we all no injuries always hit are team hard apart from
    Wilo is shite duno y. We signe him colo b good to help the young n new defenders settle as he been in prem for while but a wunt start him I prem mayb fa cup

previous post: Steve McClaren – We Are Very Very Close To Signings