The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – Newcastle Must Play At The Right Tempo

11:28 pm, Monday, July 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 71 Comments

For the second game on the US tour Newcastle made a poor start in Saturday night’s game and Sacramento Republic got the better of us in the first half,  and but for some great goalkeeping by Tim Krul we would have been behind at half time.

paul simpson and steve mcclaren

Paul Simpson and Steve McClaren

But things picked up in the second half and again 18 year-old Freddie Woodman produced another good goalkeeping display and made some good saves.

The young goalkeeper has since talked about how Tim has taken him under his wing at Newcastle, and Krul is bringing the youngster through, just like Shay Given and Steve Harper mentored Tim.

Steve McClaren talked about the game on Saturday night in the Chronicle today:

“As always in pre-season we are stepping up a level.”

“We have had a tough week and you could see that in the first half, because we didn’t play at the right tempo against Sacramento Republic.”

“Once we got into the second half we started on the front foot and played 10 yards higher.” “We pressed them better and got more bodies on the box and caused them problems.”

“We got the goal and felt comfortable but then came the red card.” “What I liked was the way they dealt with having 10 men.”

“We didn’t panic and kept the ball probably better with 10 than 11 when trying to press forward.”  “We played with a bit more composure and got through.”

“We could have scored again.” “It is so important that the subs come on and make a difference and they did.”

Newcastle managed to win the game 1-0 through an own goal from a good cross by left back Massadio Haidara.

Newcastle did play very well in those final 25 minutes when we were down to 10 men after Haidara had been sent for a high tackle.

Each player seemed to pick it up a notch and the subs – especially Rolando Aarons – came on and did their job very well.

Results are not all that important in pre-season,  but it’s always nice to win – it gives the lads confidence and good teams find a way to win.

In this pre-season the players and the coaches are trying various things out – and the lads are getting to know the coaches and vice versa.

Tomorrow night against the Portland Timbers is the last game on the US tour,  and then we are at Sheffield United on Sunday afternoon.

Fri 10th July (8:00 pm) Gateshead
International StadiumW 1-0
Tue 14th July (8:00 pm CT - 2:00 am Wed Newcastle time)Club Atlas
Miller Park, MilwaukeeL 2-1
Sat 18th July (8:00 pm PT - 4:00 am Sun Newcastle time)Sacramento RepublicBonney Field, SacramentoW 1-0
Tue 21st July (7.30 pm PT - 3:30 am Wed Newcastle time)Portland Timbers
Providence Park, PortlandL 4-3
Sun 26th July (1:00 pm)
Sheffield United
Bramall LaneD 2-2
Wed 29th July (7:45 pm)
York City
Bootham CrescentL 2-1
Sat 1st August (3:00 pm)
Borussia Mönchengladbach
St. James' ParkL 1-0

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Tour

71 responses so far ↓

• 1 Altamullan // Jul 20, 2015 at 11:40 PM

I’ve only seen the Sacromento game, but I felt there were signs of good things to come: moving the ball well, higher tempo, better structure. The coaching set-up and quotes released seem professional and well motivated. Get Mbemba plus one, another striker, then if ‘approaching their sell-by-dates’ are sold, a bit of back-up and I will be more excited about the coming season thanI have been in years (now just need stamp of shame off the kit, and I might even buy an up to date top!)

• 2 Unplugged toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Long time reader first time poster.

I think mclaren is obviously doing a good job because how often did the players come out and say they liked the way the team were play or about the philosophy under pardew.

2 more defenders for me ship cisse out get a good right winger and I think we’ll be sorted.keep rolando on the left he will provide for mitrovic when.fingers crossed

• 3 loonie-toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Does any one no if the next game agents Portland timbers is on YouTube again

• 4 Munster Mag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Tsunki there is no evidence that ashley was “pleading” because of the fans campaign. In fact he wasnt even pleading. Newcastles slump caused this, not a pressure campaign. I endorse the fans campaign but to say u forced ashley to do anything is fanciful in the extreme.

• 5 swemag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:25 AM

Forcing is a big word but I had the feeling Ashley saw a lot of money slipping through his fingers and maybe a club in the championship without the same support as last time we were relegated.
    I believe it certainly made him think.

• 6 swemag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:29 AM

My sources are telling me something big and extremely secretive is going on at St James’. I just plead to the higher powers that it is something positive.

• 7 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:35 AM

Any indication of what?

• 8 Munster Mag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:38 AM

Swemag i think tsunki said ashley was forced into action. I dont think the campaign forced him at all. I think possible relegation shook him up. And fear of season ticket sales. Am sure charva wud force a lot of people to behave differently!!

• 9 Mister Tuff // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:49 AM

Secret goings on at SJP.
    Ryder from the Chronic said we were working on something which if it came off would excite Toon fans – that’s in addition to Mitrovic and Mbemba.
    Must be a star surely?

• 10 Mister Tuff // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Anyway back to Mitrovic. The more I learn about this bloke the better I like him. Think he is going to be a massive hit – type of player who’ll mix it and won’t be phased by big name defenders.
    Few more signings and with Cathro’s ingenuity we might do quite well.

• 11 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Possible takeover?

• 12 Mister Tuff // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:58 AM

expat – Tubbs hasn’t won anything yet.

• 13 kevymartins // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM

For those who seen earler that ssn was reporting mitrovic cost us £3m I think it’s true. It rumoured that we paid £3m for mitrovic and are going to over spend on mbemba so that Mitrovic team before anderlect don’t get much in the sell on clause. Smart piece of buisness there like.

• 14 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:02 AM

He might have received an offer to good to refuse.

• 15 lesh // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:06 AM

swemag @5

Wouldn’t be surprised if there was something big to come out of SJP.

I seem to recall either McClaren or Charnley say something about a transfer that if they could pull it off, would astonish folk. I think.

Anyway, silence from SJP? What’s new.

• 16 lesh // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Tsk tsk! Such cynical thoughts.

As if Ashley would collude to seal a deal.

• 17 Novocastrian66 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:10 AM

Mister Tuff; if that is true it is absolutely shocking. Newcastle should not get involved in such underhand activities.

• 18 Novocastrian66 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Sorry Mister Tuff, I was replying to Kevy’s post.

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:14 AM

novo – ryder reported this a couple of days ago – he’s on the tour. You never know whether he’s been fed a “granny” or whether there is an element of truth in it.
    I’m going to take an daft guess, pure speculation and say it’s Balotelli.

• 20 Shot Bru // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:21 AM

1year deal for Drogba

• 21 ShirebrookToon // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:25 AM

Signing Shaqiri now that would be a surprise

• 22 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:32 AM

fine..i’ll play that game..:)

signing that will excite fans..probably my guess would be……Mata?

• 23 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:37 AM

I thought ryder said that quite a few weeks ago when we were ‘interested’ in aymen. I think it’s nonsense. He was just following up on rumors.

• 24 King Colback // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:39 AM

De Bruyne?

• 25 archaeomag // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:43 AM

? ?
    Somehow, I don’t think we will buy a *Star* from another Prem club, Austin maybe, but just buying good players is a big surprise!

• 26 awaydays // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:47 AM

Anyone been thinking about line ups? Next season i have and picking the midfield is not easy

• 27 Brutooon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 AM

the difference between becoming a top 6 team and relegation battle is WILLIAMSON

get rid of him and we will be top 6 forever!!!

SBR an Kevin Keegan would NEVER ever play williamson in their team

• 28 kevymartins // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 AM

@Novo I suppose it wouldn’t really be much on nufc’a side were just trying to et the player it would be anderlect being shady. It sounds complicated to do though and explains the hold up there has been on Mitrovic joining.

• 29 awaydays // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:10 AM

King colback aiming high there arent you?

• 30 El Sleeve // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:14 AM

• 31 El Sleeve // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:15 AM

• 32 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:18 AM

Maybe a crafty bid for Arjen Robben

Dutch, soon to be out of contract. Would be the missing attacking link.

Aarons down the left, Robben down the right. Mitrovic in the middle……..mouth watering.

• 33 awaydays // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:22 AM

Id like to see Victor moses was looking great at stoke last season… Dont get impatient lads signings are coming and we can all feel it

• 34 King Colback // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:33 AM

awaydays why not? we gotta aim high

• 35 awaydays // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:38 AM

Walcott has everything he needs at arsenal and wouldnt leave and de bruyne if im.right was brilliant last season and so his fee would be huge and there will be CL clubs in for him… But salah is a good shout but theres alot of speculation about him about his contract

• 36 honest fan // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:43 AM

Expat now that would be something to rave about big time
    I’m actually surprised in the player/s that have come or are currently linked with so if someone was to come in that was even better well then happy days

I’m gonna be crazy and say the man himself Alan shearer

• 37 honest fan // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:47 AM

Not very realistic but would still make me excited and make travel the long journey to SJP to watch him play

• 38 GloucesterGeordie // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:01 AM

Apparently Alexandre Pato is ready for the premier league and has been offered to a number of “mid level clubs”, could be him? I can’t believe he’s only 25! Seems to have been around for donkeys

• 39 AmeriToon // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:43 AM

Does anyone know if the games tomorrow will also be on YouTube again? or any other way to stream the game?
    Unfortunately I can’t afford to fly halfway across the country

• 40 King Colback // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:11 AM

Apparently its gonna be on

• 41 Chris // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM

El Sleeve // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:15 AM

as for 3 mill for mitrovic, that would explain why mitrovic isnt announced until he’s signed mbemba first.”

I think it’s more likely that they’re delaying making any official announcement about Mitrovic until they’ve received confirmation that his work permit has been approved. If you remember, that’s how a similar situation was handled a few years ago when they signed Curtis Good.

• 42 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM

If they don’t announce Mitrovic today then NUFC is waiting for Mcclaren to come from USA to do e unveiling. Charva is a very principled man. If its a Head Coach to unveil the players then it will b e head coach no one else.

• 43 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:05 AM

Curtis Good was so excited abt getting him. Australian good lad with promise.

• 44 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:10 AM

An honest question. Would there be some restriction on a club apparently paying a transfer fee which was clearly under the odds? I’m wondering if VAT or some other form of tax is payable on transfer fees, and this could be seen as a means of avoidance. Or are there FIFA or FA regulations which cover “phoney” transfer fees?

• 45 King Colback // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:28 AM

must’ve been a typo on sky site it says:

It is understood the Magpies will pay a fee in the region of £13m for the Serbia international.

• 46 scout // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:36 AM

Do you honestly believe he cost 3 million?? Have you been on the aeroplane glue??

• 47 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:50 AM

No news as for NUFC. Do we go for Austin and Abdennour or we r done?
    Tricky situation.

• 48 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Lol at those who believed mitrovic will cost us 3 million pounds. Hahahah

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:17 AM

It isn’t unheard of for clubs to structure deals to avoid percentage payments to the players former club. Porto and Monaco is probably the best example with the Rodriguez and Moutinho transfer a couple of years back. They avoided paying around €10million due to the way it was structured.

That isn’t to say we have done it, I doubt it is the case with this deal. Too many outlets have reported the fees separately.

• 50 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:21 AM

I am sure Partizan would have serious appeals in to EUFA if they only got a share of 3 million.

Perhaps invade Belgium?

• 51 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Morning lads, something exciting to inspire the fans.

Will Ashley be talking again 😉

• 52 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:39 AM

The deal for Mitrovic has been on table since May 2015.

• 53 Altamullan // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:53 AM

G’day OP and all
    Not that bothered about further words from our benefactor/beneficiary as someone once said ‘deeds not words’ (that’s what’s important).

• 54 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:58 AM

I agree, action nae words.

If there’s something happening I’d expect it to be kept quiet until thurs Friday when SM is back, can’t see them breaking big news whilst he’s away. They’ll want him in front of the camera grinning saying
    “Look what we did for ya”

• 55 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:00 AM

I hope this is the exciting news

• 56 firebug666 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:08 AM

These signings are great, of that there is no doubt. But lets not kid ourselves here.

All these changes are not being done for us fans, they are being done because they have to be.

Ashley took the club to the brink of self destruction, and that was bad news for his SD tat shop.

So this new life that is being breathed into the club is simply to keep the heart beating so the SD tat shop can keep feeding off it.

All this talk of building a club the fans can be proud of is utter tosh and codswallup.

I will not be buying into this “New Era” of Newcastle until I see those player we are buying staying put, lets get through a January window without selling our best players and derailing the season, lets see them produce some passion on the pitch.

Ashley is not going to change, he may make some changes to keep his profits high but that’s it.

Anyone still having doubts and think Ashley is becoming a saviour for Newcastle, just remember these words from the man himself.

Newcastle is beneficial to Sports Direct.

• 57 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM

So the Pearly King in his south London palace wants Fab the Fairy in his court. A perfect move for all parties involved I’d say.

• 58 Toonfan8 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM

lets hope, that big news is offer from Palace for Willo and Collo 😀 😀

• 59 Mag52 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:12 AM

If there has been some sort of ‘Del boy’ deal done in the purchase of Mitrovic, I’ll be very disappointed in NUFC for doing it, but not too surprised at Ashley for being part of it.
    The idea behind paying a percentage to a previous club is to give some financial assistance to the minnow clubs who first discover, encourage, and then send out the young player on the journey of, hopefully, a top career.
    The big money, in British football at least, is all concentrated in the Premiership, and IMO it’s only right that the lower division clubs should get a deserved windfall from time to time.

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:29 AM

I bet Mikey was spitting feathers over the Bony deal last January, hence the few quid more on transfers this year.

• 61 firebug666 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:32 AM

He was probably lying under the table in the foetus position until the shaking stopped.

• 62 jimmysmith // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:33 AM

This may sound like heresy, but wouldn’t Newcastle, and the owner be far better off financially if Ashley sold us to Sports Direct Holdings, and wouldn’t that also be more ethical. We already function as a marketing tool for them, while contrarily existing as an independent entity. Surely if the club were owned by SD, the current owner would benifit more, in the shape of a sale, and the club would have access to greater financial backing, much in the way City enjoy through Etihad. This free advertising remains a murky business.

• 63 Lindisfarne // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Not too much!

• 64 firebug666 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:40 AM

I don’t think it would make any difference mate, Newcastle has to stand on it’s own, using the money it generates minus the SD take.

If SD were to own the club that would just sink us deeper into the cesspool and would no doubt cost us even more money for the privileged.

• 65 Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:58 AM

“You can walk my path, you can wear my shoes
    Learn to talk like me and be an angel too
    But maybe you ain’t never gonna feel this way
    You ain’t never gonna know me but I know you

I’m singing it now, things can only get better
    They can only get better if we see it through
    That means me and I mean you too

So teach me now that things can only get better
    They can only get, they only get, take it on from here
    You know, I know that things can only get better.”

• 66 Magpie Season // Jul 21, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Would Bony have done as well here as he did at Swansea?

• 67 Magpie Season // Jul 21, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Brutoon @27:

Mate, if he’s gone I see us winning the club world cup in 3 years time.

• 68 lochinvar // Jul 21, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Ashley’s big news,
    I was working in my lab late one night……and have cloned Shearer and Supermac , but got the potion wrong. Never mind a new superstar has been born in Transylvania “Shear Macgic “

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Magpie season,
    That’s a tricky one, probably not as well considering how poor we were but class is class and he would have stood out at least.

• 70 magpiesi // Jul 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM

If there is a surprise signing I suspect it’s somebody who has cost a lot or played for a big team in the last 3 seasons.

Balotelli (loan)
    Maybe ever banega Valencia paid around €20m for him a few years ago he went to Seville last year. I’m not sure if he plays much for them as he was mentioned in the press in June as being available for under€12m they have since bought Nzonzi from stoke.

• 71 Sivarese // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Pato would be a big mistake – he’s another in a long line of Brazilian party demons and his injury record is appalling. I won’t hold my breath until we find out what this so-called exciting development is at SJP.

Really happy with our first two signings, and it does intrigue me that it took the club so long to announce Mitrogol after he’s already gave it away on Facebook at the weekend. Maybe the club photographer was away for the weekend, but usually they don’t waste time announcing signings when there are still season tickets to sell.

previous post: Tim Krul’s Incredible Debut For Newcastle – Video