The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player Who Cost £220K Is Going Nowhere

4:01 pm, Monday, July 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

If newly arrived Karl Darlow wants to  be the Newcastle number one goalkeeper next season, he will have some difficult competition from the current number one – Tim Krul.

Tim has now spent 10 years on Tyneside, after Graeme Souness brought him in from ADO Den Haag in the summer of 2005, and we paid £220K for him following a decision by the Court of Arbitration for Sport that Newcastle should pay that amount to Den Haag.

The summer of 2005 was also when Newcastle signed  Michael Owen from Real Madrid  for £17M – Newcastle’s most expensive transfer ever – and because of all of Michael’s injuries over the four years he was on Tyneside – one of the worst too.

One of Tim Krul’s best ever saves for Newcastle at Tottenham in 2013
He seemed unbeatable in that game we won 1-0

Tim made his debut at Palermo in the UEFA Cup on 2nd November 2006 when he was 18, and was easily the Man of the Match in that game, which we won 1-0.

Tim has talked about his  ten years at Newcastle on the Newcastle web-site:

“I first came here on a three-year contract and the idea was that we would see how things go, and if it didn’t work out I would only be 20 and could go back to Holland.”

“But here I am – 27 and still here. Things worked out better than any of us could have imagined and I couldn’t have dreamed of being where I am now.” “I was homesick in the early days. That is normal as a teenager when you are leaving everything behind.”

“But Newcastle were always great and let me go back home for weeks now and then. Friends and family also came over, and it’s such a friendly city that settling in wasn’t too difficult.”  “I got my debut at 18 in Palermo but never expected it to come that early.”

“However, it set me up nicely and was just a taster of the things to come playing at this Club.”  “I played that one game and it made me want more and more, and that night in Palermo pushed me on and reminded me why I came to Newcastle.”

“The loans I had were very important, too. They were great times which shaped me as a young man.”  “I went to Edinburgh to play for Falkirk, lived there on my own for the first time, and experienced men’s football, which was really important for me at that stage of my development.”

“I then got a loan to Carlisle for two months and played nine games which really helped me kick on in my career.”
“Being Newcastle’s number one was always my goal and I finally got the chance in that great season when we finished fifth and went 11 games unbeaten at the start of the season,”

“That was my moment and it is still an amazing feeling to be number one at such a great club.”   “There have been so many highlights. All my debuts – Palermo, my first game in the Championship coming on for Harps at West Brom, my first start at QPR in the final game of the Championship season.”

“Also playing against Edwin van der Sar – my hero – finishing fifth, reaching the Europa League quarter-final and beating Sunderland 5-1.”

“There have been so many proud moments and I know there will be many more to come.”

Tim Krul had a poor second half of last season – like many other players at Newcastle.

But with another top Dutch player on board this summer in Gini Wijnaldum (that makes five Dutch players in the squad) , he will be very keen to continue as the Newcastle number one – and he certainly seems to have no plans of leaving Newcastle United.

Here’s Alan Shearer commenting on the great saves he made at Tottenham on November 10th, 2013, which we ended up winning 1-0 .

Tim was the Player of the Month for November 2013,  and Alan Pardew was manager of the Month following Newcastle’s four wins in four games.

We need to see that form from Tim next season – that would be good.

And that form in November of 2013 would also be good for Newcastle next season.

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Tim Krul

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 lochinvar // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Just a distraction ….but looks like Ashley’s plans for Rangers might have had something to do with advertising Sports Direct to the largest audience in the world ?
    From the BBC:
    The Scottish Professional Football League has agreed a deal to show live Scottish football on mainstream television in China for the first time.
    Thought to be worth about £500,000 a year for three years, the deal is with Letv Sports, China’s leading digital broadcast platform for sports.
    It will make 55 Scottish Premiership matches available across TV, online and mobile.
    SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “It’s a fantastic deal for Scottish football.”

• 2 lochinvar // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Darlow will be on the bench and also feature in the Cup games going all the way to Wembley – which would be hard on Tim but then again Tim will be playing in the Champions League with NUFC next season !

• 3 JDdubai // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Carr said back in February that things were planning to change this summer and he thought Ashley wanted to make a run at the cups in particular from this coming season as well as finishing as high as poss.

We’ve all heard that cack before but I was happy to wait and see and it seems like he was on the money.

In other news, good to see Sepp Blatter sat there with money thrown at him.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Not a g t,
    If that really was his plan to avoid relegation by a game or two while exiting the cups as early as possible while breaking every conceivable unwanted record while serving up dross. Then the man is a maniac.

• 5 Our Toon // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Don’t get me wrong mate its great we are improving the squad but we still need to have some level of realism as well, this squad was so bad last season that even Ashley knew another bad summer would almost certainly mean relegation. I’ve mentioned thongs like the bare minimum and we need to be looking to go beyond that.

Think about it, we’ve needed at least 1 striker since Ba left….We have the same CB’s that got us relegated, these 2 areas are being improved now but we still need a proper winger if the CB’s are improved. We are still short in the fullback areas for both left and right and we are still short of a very good Defensive midfielder who will sit and protect the back 4.

It’s great being optimistic but this kind of window was bound to be around the corner!!

• 6 optimistic prime // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Been working at Ashington football club today, didn’t see Mitrovic there, has he signed yet?

Are we still patting Charnley on the back for doing his job, quite slowly.

• 7 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM

I wouldn’t rule it out! Calculated gambles in a make or break move sounds very like Ashley anyway so why not trust he had one on eye on a longterm outcome. Remember being able to afford these players within their financial means will likely just lead to bigger profits in future (and for him). Definitely not saying is a given but either way something major is happening.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:27 PM

A relegation would have blown those plans out of the water. Also Pardew would still be here had he not decided to move on his own accord. So Mikeys plans of world domination would have had AP and JC executing his masterplan !

• 9 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:34 PM

The midfield looks very good now, and really one good young centre back, and of course it shouldn’t be forgotten the club went out and bought that duffer Mbiwa, who really should have fitted the bill, but bizarrely did everything but, and the squad looks ok, even as is, with the addition of Darlow, Lascelles, Wijnaldum and Mitrovic. It was the loss of Pardew, and then u replaced, the extraordinary injury list and a couple of lunatic moments by players that caused last season to unravel, or there is at least a very strong argument to say that’s the case. The club has always been pretty much one or two key players short of something good under Ashley, but this looks promising.

• 10 John Tudor // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM

is it jeff jib jane carlotta or carl multiple imposter

• 11 ronjohno // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:42 PM

waiting for toon to get transfers done is like pulling teeth.

• 12 hibbit // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:43 PM

john and 1 or 2 others aswell

• 13 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Agreed a risky strategy and not one I would’ve wanted repeating but even keeping those two on was seemingly a way to stock up money. I don’t think he wanted those two to get anywhere near that money, so them going was the final push towards a change.

Definitely not saying that I like Ashley but I don’t think he’s a fool.

• 14 nightfa11 // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:49 PM

i just hope we’re after berahino.. he would solve our striker/winger problem.. hes young, already quality, english international and 16(?) mio.. thats gamble what so ever.. i can see chelsea, city, man utd offering crazy money for him in a few years time.. and with him (+ mitro) on board we can easily sell cisse, goufrann, rivi..

• 15 JDdubai // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Abdennour, Mbemba, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum and a wide player and that will do. Maybe 1 or 2 young english kids as backup.

Just as important is keeping Aarons and Haidara fit and finding a way to get Aarons signed up to a new contract.

• 16 optimistic prime // Jul 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM

There’s quite a few jumping on the happy bus without asking where the bus goes or the price of the ride.

Signs look good most windows, then a week before it closes the diversion sign pops up.

Plenty say be positive no negativity, IMO everyone should wait until the end of this window atleast before even thinking any things changed, only fools rush in.

Personally it’ll be atleast the end of the jan window before I consider the clubs changed it’s aproach, maybe even next summer.

I’m not going to sit and go ott slagging people off but neither will I be putting out the bunting because we’re linked with a cpl decent players.

• 17 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Op I don’t blame you, I think it is just different people’s makeup. I would go crazy if I thought of all the negatives, so see the positives.

I would say that whichever way you cut it, movement in this window is more positive. Curious to see if the old players lower the tone or if we’ve added enough quality to bring the side up a level.

• 18 Munster Mag // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Surely no way we will go for Austin unless we play two up front all the time? I think we may need wingers too ? And deffo a taller centre half.

• 19 nufcursed // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM

guys to take away all the worries:

it’s in belgian newspapers that it’s a done deal for both players.
    we’ll pay about 20M euros for both players..

just to let you know that we now can look forward to the new season without worrying if we’ll sign a striker and CB.

only negative: i can’t see us going after austin no more after we signed mitrovic. seems a bit expensive for a system where we only use 1 striker…
    so i guess austin will not be coming

• 20 BandB // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM

OP/ NAGT

Isn’t that the point…people have different make-ups and different exposure to lives ups and downs. Older people are likely to be more cautious, generally.

I like the mood of optimism. People are free to say what they feel.

I don’t want to told by some youth to throw my knickers in the air or else.

• 21 Jamseyd24 // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM

If this kid is in Newcastle, what the hell is taking so long to get the signing complete, something fishy about it. Any ideas??

• 22 King Colback // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Supposedly Newcastle have offered Haris Vuckic and cash for Charlie Austin

• 23 toon kk // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:12 PM

I’m not trying to be negative it’s great to have two quality signings through the door, but let’s not get carried away, we were nearly relegated last season, we have alot of budget below average players in our squad. Imo we still desperately need to strengthen. You need a quality team to win games so we’re only a couple of injuries away from really struggling in the premier league and most fans will be straight on the managers back and calling for him to be sacked.

• 24 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:14 PM

BandB precisely I think my optimism may be naivety and others realism may be unnecessary pessimism. We will only really know when we get started started. I would like to see fans give this new setup some support though, as much to reward the spending and change – positive reinforcement!

• 25 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:14 PM

I think you have a top eight group of players and coaching set up right now, or you could forgive the hierarchy for thinking so, but Ashley has promised more it seems to me, and certainly those who have come in seem to believe there is more to come. Hopefully it will be now and not as players come off contract, as some such as Willo, Collocini, Taylor, Cisse, Gouffran and Obertan, may be allowed to run down their contracts and then be replaced, if push came to shove, and that might even not be that unreasonable. But it’s harsh to criticize those who might want to believe in better times ahead, when some obvious clear positive change has already occurred, and also coming after the fans finally found their voice and ran out of patience, and forced the owner into a public statement of intent.

• 26 nufcursed // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:16 PM

i’m guessing the it takes so long cause they want to be able to present both players at the same time..
    mbemba deal was apparently held up due to his age certificats.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Your theory is flawed. They had no intention of sacking Pardew as they thought he was doing an excellent job, he had another five years to run on his deal, so do you think his master plan involved hoarding cash while flirting with relegation and serving up dross for the full five years of that.

• 28 BandB // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Charnley or whomever it was deserves full credit for getting Wijnaldum.
    That must have been a hard sell after last season.
    He will deserve full credit for getting in these next two.
    We have always signed good players…Ben Arfa, Ba, Cabaye, Sissoko.
    The real test will be that they will still feel they have joined an ambitious, well-coached club a year from now.
    That they will is my major hope for change and main source of hope.

• 29 goalie gaz // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Just throwing it out there, but would anyone like to see Jose back from Liverpool?
    Seems to be out of favour there and I’m not to sure about our strength at left back, could be worth a couple of million.

• 30 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:20 PM

JFA so what do you think has caused us to target the current crop of players and take on this coaching team?

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Yet another punch from behind by multiple account user carl. Very easy for him to accuse me of using different accounts but not so easy for him to explain why, the reason for this being, is in that all likelihood the poster he is referring to ‘sack Llambias” is one of his own accounts. And that is absolute nonsense about me trying to post from offshore under different names.

• 32 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Have not had aby time to post today, but have managed to read a bit…..

My, hasn’t it been colourful today? Mostly cautious optimism, but the odd premature “told you so” and “ashley has changed” thrown in. Also a couple of “I was right about…” about one or two things that are not proven either way, and now never will be, and frankly don’t matter.

I am with the cautious optimism brigaide, and will also NOT be throwing my underwear into the air in adulation.

• 33 sing in the corner // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Judging by the look on Wijnaldum’s face when he walked out into the St James’ Park sunshine the difficult sell must have involved a detour via Amsterdam coffee shops in order to complete the deal

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Ashley and Pardew !!!

• 35 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Id be devastated if we don’t get Austin.

Never again will we grab a talent for 15 mil with experience in this league. This is the man.

• 36 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM

I read those posts by Carl. I wouldn’t worry, they barely even made any sense. It looked like he was drunk while typing them!

• 37 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:28 PM

I think you have to also give him credit for McClaren, Black, the assistants, Mitrovic and Wijnaldum, after last season. Which frankly was incredible. Even the decision not to replace Pardew, is starting to look a gamble that was justified. And to be honest, I doubt the club would be experiencing this level of restructuring had last season not occurred as it did. Or atleast we’d still be stuck with Pards and JC, who admittedly weren’t rubbish in their roles, but they certainly weren’t great either.

• 38 BandB // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Have you ever seen Edward Scissorhands?
    There is a character called Esmeralda.
    She doesn’t like Edward and doesn’t want anyone else to like him either.
    She is bit …y’now….funny.
    Chill fella….

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM

I think if the second half of last season proved anything, (imo), it was Carvers utter ineptitude. Pardew and Carver was a mis-match spawned in hades, but had Pardew waited until summer to jump ship, we would have been safe well before the last day. Albeit in a foor negative fashion. I am convinced Carvers coaching was the primary problem all along, with Percy and those completely unfathomable changes for no reason being his clear biggest problem (again, imo)

• 40 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Foor = Dour*

• 41 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Yeah, I really want Austin too, and 15 mill is not huge money for a proven young striker in this league, especially if you’ve paid similar money for Mitrovic. Genuine Newcastle number nine, by the looks of him. Hard, and a consistent goal threat. Cisse, Mitrovic, Perez, De Jong and Riviere aren’t exactly rubbish though, and I think this last offer is where Newcastle will draw the line or even retreat.

• 42 loonie-toon // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:36 PM

I agree with,
    Toon-Prodigy get Austin in b a big hit with us with him,mitro and ayoze up front b quality next season or two ayoze gunner come good
    Would also like to see some young talent getting chance like arrons if we can keep hold off hi could b a legend for us

• 43 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Thing is, dont Austin and Mitrovic both favour a central role? I wouldnt want to play one out of position to git another in ( we have had enough of that thanks)

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM

It’s not that easy to chill when random out of the blue attacks accuse me of sh1te with no foundation. If I don’t retort then it gives him a free reign.

• 45 optimistic prime // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM

I’m just bored with people being seen as negative for being cautious.

If Ashley screws us over I won’t be shouting told you so and banging a drum like others are, if I am proved wrong and Ashley really does put a shift in I’ll be well happy, even when the drums are banging and the fingers are pointed.
    yet I’ll still be cautious for a few windows.

The really negativity on the blog comes from people shouting moaners and whingers at other fans who are showing genuine concern at how the clubs run.
    If it wasn’t for those fans showing concern Pardew and carver would still be here and we’d be in the same boat next year.

Ghost town

This may seem strange but I’m quite chilled at the whole situation, I’ve been that angry it’s now passed and I have to joke about the situation otherwise I’d explode. The angers still there I just have a lid on it.

You said the realists maybe pessimists I disagree.

If your lass cheated on you for 8 years would you forgive her because she stayed home for a fortnight giving you the eyes? I think not.

• 46 optimistic prime // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Toon prodigy

One of us will be dissapointed as I’ll be devastated if we sign him.

• 47 hibbit // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM

sorry to pour cold water on the party…….. these 3 players look good a real step up but its not enough we need at lest 3 more or we will have problems look at the injuries with 3 weeks to go players have dips in form new player might take time to settle …..we need more quality players now

• 48 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Git = fit*

F^$^ this phone

• 49 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Thats not pouring water on. Thats telling it how you see it. And i would agree. I am really happy about these players coming in (probably) but we also need a couple moor at least.

• 50 jimmysmith // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Yeah, I thought Pardew and Carver were an ok premiership management team. They suffered due to injury, and the owner not prepared to sanction the money needed to give hive them a complete squad. And Carver as the top man obviously hopeless in hindsight, but I don’t think anybody would have argued at the time we’d be so bereft, if he were given his chance. The players conducted themselves like children, it shouldn’t be forgotten, although again you might say that was poor management I suppose, though. Who cares anyway, they are gone, and the sorry business a salutary lesson to the owner.

• 51 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM

^#(=£€×¥#€×!€$£=&@!/@_÷÷?=%^×!ing phone.

• 52 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Yes. A lesson indeed. Lets hope the signs we are seeing are evidence of him actually learning said lesson.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Got no problem at all with spending Mashers dosh but I would like to see RW covered and a RB cover sorted first.
    Goalie gaz,
    I would love to see Jose back here with Haidara as his cover and Dummet relegated to a fourth choice CB.

• 54 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:51 PM

I actually stuck a tenner on us getting relegated as soon as i knew carver had the job. I had ZERO confidence in him.

• 55 Ron Knee // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:52 PM

According to The Chronic, we’re being ‘linked’ with Nathan Ake. Anybody know anything about him?

• 56 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Goalie gaz

Yeah I agree with Jail. If he would be interested,i would sign Jose up for a year or two. Quality LB.

• 57 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Think it was mentioned on here a day or two ago. He is a versatile defender/mf utility. Pardew would have cracked a semi about the number of positions he can cover

• 58 Mister Tuff // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Iwould agree with the sentiment that in order to see the best from our new signing(s) further pieces of the jigsaw are needed. Otherwise the new players will be on an uphill battle. I suspect there will be at least another couple on top of Mitrovic and the other two who we anticipate signing.
    Well hopefully anyway – possible that with Wally mentioning three windows there might be further upgrades in each.
    It should be noted that Tubbs is only authorising money to be spent which has lain in the coffers for at least a year.
    seems Wally is having an influence on Mr Tubbs.

• 59 carl // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Answer me this . If he is the real deal why does he spend so much time talking about what’s happened in the past. The blog pretty much
    on mass have acknowledged that things are on the up!
    If he fears yet another false dawn then he should be honest and say so.
    I see him as being generally a negative type who likes to wallow in self pity. Sorry you haven’t persuaded me otherwise. It’s about time he stood on his own and not be propped up by you!

• 60 loonie-toon // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Anyone c that video of sepp blather getting money thrown at him don’t u fink the guy who chucked money looked like Liam neelson off BBC three

• 61 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Again definitely see the point OP and you seem very balanced. I would see this as slightly different to the girlfriend situation or rather if her cheating on me lead to me dating a supermodel I’d be less concerned with the past. Appreciate at the moment the model is just glancing at us across the room right now….

• 62 loonie-toon // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM

• 63 Charlietoon // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Tim made at least two amazing saves against Sacramento. Thought it was brave of Steve to put Freddie on the second half so both good things.

• 64 Bobbybee // Jul 20, 2015 at 9:36 PM

There can be no doubt that eight years of under investment can’t possibly be corrected in one window. What can be done is to lay the foundations for future windows and imo that is exactly what is happening now. From what Macca has said, the following two are also earmarked for investment and, as he hasn’t lied to us yet – and signed a contract with that in mind – I’m happy to take his word on it. Five new first team players is enough, especially looking at the quality of these signings, so I’m not looking for an entire new team immediately – these need to settle in before adding more. Pardew always said Ashley didn’t understand football and having succeeded in other areas, this must have bugged him to death. Maybe – and I’m not saying it’s so – he’s finally seen the error of his ways and is genuinely allowing the footballing staff to take over. Whatever the reason, we’ll go into this season far stronger than we left the last one. There’s no guarantee we’ll win anything – there are no guarantees in football – but we wanted a club that tries and finally, we’re getting what we asked for. Every journey, no matter how long or short, starts with one step, and imo we have made that first step. Long may it continue.

previous post: Anderlecht Manager – Mitrovic Can Become Top Striker At Newcastle

next post: This Could Be Newcastle’s Biggest Transfer Window Ever