The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Could Be Newcastle’s Biggest Transfer Window Ever

5:53 pm, Monday, July 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

We know Newcastle  haven’t spent much money in the eight summers that Mike Ashley has owned the club, and as we all wait for Aleksandar Mitrovic to be unveiled as our second summer signing, this could turn out to be Newcastle’s biggest spending transfer window ever.

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Aleksandar Mitrovic at Partizan Belgrade
Soon to be in black and white stripes with blue trim –  yet again

If we do sign Aleksandar that will make it £27M Newcastle have spent on Wijnaldum and Mitrovic – with the Belgium press reporting we have already agreed a €10M (£7M) deal for Alexander’s team-mate at Anderlecht, center-back Chancel Mbemba – which we reported on yesterday.

If we do sign Mbemba that will be about £34M on three players signed so far this summer.

And Newcastle are supposed to be on the trail of £15M QPR striker Charlie Austin,  and at least one additional  center-back, and one of those is Monaco defender Aymen Abdennour, who would cost around £15M.

Transfer fees are much bigger than they’ve ever been of course, and if we do bring in another two players after Mbemba gets signed (two assumptions) – this could turn out to be the biggest transfer window ever for Newcastle in terms of the money spent.

And if players are sold later this summer – maybe Cheick Tiote, Papiss Cisse, Fab Coloccini and others to recuperate some money,  it could still be the biggest transfer window as far as net outlay of transfer funds is concerned.

As an example of net spending it was about £22M last summer –  as one example.

Incoming Transfers and Loans – 2014 – £35M

Karl Darlow£3MNottingham Forest

Outgoing Transfers and Loans- 2014 – £13M

PlayerFee Club
Conor NewtonFreeRotherham
James Tavernier£400KWigan
Mathieu Debuchy£12MArsenal
Sylvain Marveaux Season LoanGuingamp (France)
Shola AmeobiFreeGaziantep (Turkey)
Michael RichardsonFree
Adam CampbellOne Month LoanFleetwood Town
Jamaal Lascelles Season LoanNottingham Forest
Karl DarlowSeason LoanNottingham Forest
Mapou Yanga-MbiwaSeason Loan £600KRoma
Hatem Ben ArfaSeason LoanHull City

If we consider incoming and outgoing transfers for all of last year – 2014 – it was only £2M,  assuming we got £20M for Yohan Cabaye from PSG.

Newcastle officials said it was going to be a big summer for the club, following the complete debacle since Christmas, and that’s looking like it may even turn out to be true.

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 TudorCrisps // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Ashley in

• 2 StevoNorthShields // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Get them all in, spend the cash fatman! HTL

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Think it was mentioned on here a day or two ago. He is a versatile defender/mf utility. Pardew would have cracked a semi about the number of positions he can cover

• 4 John Tudor // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:57 PM

i’ll see it when i believe it

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM

A lot of players needed before this headline comes true, Ed. But at least we are starting to head in the right direction.

• 6 TudorCrisps // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM

What’s the hold up with mitro any ways?

• 7 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Ashley Out!

• 8 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Bit of a tease this lad. Maybe they’re just going through the fine print on Microfiche ha ha another gem.

• 9 cyprus // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Wasn’t it like 20 net last year, when AP said no more excuses and CL here we come?

• 10 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Ashley may have finally recognised the ‘cheap shoes’ economy doesn’t work in the prem. Serious money required for serious players.

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Mr Tuff.

Maybe mr tubbs trusts SM to spend his money on a range of players,instead of utility players who can cover LB (but not be master of that position). Does Percy not hold some sort of record for the number of different players used as LBs during his tenure? 😀

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Yes, it was. I think Ed is taking into account the Jan window where we got Cabaye as well.

• 13 optimistic prime // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM

This three Window thing, have we now changed and will we now be active in January?

If not 3 windows is 2 full seasons away, that could end up being a uphill struggle.

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Jonas. Bigi. Mbiwa, santon. Raylor, haidara,dummet,fergy, colback

Off the top of my head.

• 15 Ron Knee // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Thanks for the info!

• 16 Ron Knee // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM

According to The Chronic, AM has completed his medical & is now at SJP.

• 17 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Hahaha. Just watching a replay of the blatter cash scatter.

“Oh no! Help me, that guy has money. I have to leave or i might take it!!! NOOOÒO”

• 18 carl // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Good to hear you’ve bought into the McClaren/Ashley
    Programme. Sung to ” All we are saying is give
    Peace a chance” First rendition to be v Saints on opening
    Sunday. More to follow along with bodies into the toon.
    CB later this week.

• 19 TudorCrisps // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Ycmit haha think he was slightly offended they were American dollar notes had they been 20 bucks different story

• 20 Bambams // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Well I thought we would have seen Mitrovic on the steps of the Great SJP by now….

Wednesday for Mbemba allegedly

Watch this space

• 21 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM

if it was pesos splashed at sepp, youd need a wheelbarrow full to buy a pint haha

• 22 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Carl. I assume that was sarcasm
    If not, no I haven’t bought anything yet, I’m still window shopping. It looks good on display, but I’ve yet to see it actually working. Hoping for a good product, but I’ve seen what this manufacturer turns out over the years so I can’t say I’ll be surprised if it’s just a flashy new face lift of the old model.

• 23 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM

And the fact they turned out to be fake! He probably would have been happy if he could spend it in bribe-u-like. 😀

• 24 King Colback // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Nobody is “buying” into anything but good things are happening at the mo and the momentum needs to keep going

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM

As long as it isnt in Fenwicks window. Ashley would probably recycle that singing £ucking singing tree that keeps popping up every 3 years…… and play it in MF.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Sepp Blatter very unhappy. BRILLIANT !

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Its the whole “we have to clean up before i can speak” thing. Loke its going to “jump” into his pockets or something 😀

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:21 PM

I’m not buying into all the optimism yet. Signs are encouraging, but there is still a lot of work to do in this window alone. We have dawdled with squad strengthening so far, and there are still a number of glaring deficiencies in the squad with less than three weeks till the big kick off.

Lots of work to do if they are to deliver on the promise of a competitive squad in my eyes, and while the signings have been good, nobody should be resting on laurels, and there is no cause for ‘I told you so’ and that sort of guff yet.

For me to truly believe that this club has truly changed direction and is now aiming to be more than just an also ran, then I’d need progression to continue in each window, and the best players being kept, regardless of bids for them. It will be February 2017 before I will confidently say that we have turned the corner.

Hopeful – as I am prior to every season, but not ready with the keys to the city for them just yet.

• 29 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM

King Colback good things appear to be happening and strangely I’m not complaining. But I won’t be persuaded to be unreservedly optimistic. We’ll have to see it out until the Xmas period to see how we are doing in the form, injury and morale tables. I’m happy to be counted for the moment among the vocal anti-ashley ‘crowd/ gang/crew etc’ that drove the boycotts and Ashleys video plea towards the current modifications. Let’s just see how it pans out.

• 30 carl // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Your name came up as Tsunami! Says it all- yes once bitten twice shy.
    I am living in hope with 3 players coming in this week.

• 31 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Hey guys. just and update. the repair ops failed.
    I ended up having to have the valve replaced, I was then induced for 3 and a half days. I have now been finally allowed my phone back by doctors and with a bit of luck could be home by the end of the week.

Thank you to you all and Ed for asking about me, my mum emailed ed back whilst I was induced.

At least I have come back to the glorious news of Wijnaldum signing, Mitrovic having a medical and Mbemba possibly on way.

Have I missed much?

• 32 carl // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM

We bought Cabaye in summer( June) and sold him in January.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Who is the third player coming in this week? Mitrovic, Mbemba and….?

• 34 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:27 PM

ridiculously glad to see you back TFL!!!!

• 35 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Agreed. Still plenty to do. Like i said, i am cutiously optimistic, and if others see that as moaning, they can get on with it. If we have a reasonably competitive team that have gelled after the first couple of games, i will be relatively happy.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Good to hear from you mate. Glad you are finally on the mend.

• 37 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:29 PM

The ‘ told you so’ has no basis. Whoever comes out with that is an imbecile. it’s patently obvious the ‘told you so’ weasels all rolled over under the ‘proper fans’ banner, and hoped against sense that Ashley would somehow feel sorry for them and come good. Because of the fans that DIDN’T do this, Ashley was forced into action he probably would never have made to the extent he has. So the capitulating slug lovers have got their wish but not by their own efforts. It was by the efforts of those who could stand all that cowardly snivelling no longer.

• 38 optimistic prime // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:29 PM

He’s alive he’s alive

Good to hear you well TFL

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:30 PM

RELIEF is not the word!!!

Glad to see you safe and well.

And you have missed exactly what you have typed. 1 signed, 1 just about, and 1 on his way probably.

• 40 Tsunki // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:32 PM

TFL! A bit of a relief to say the least lad we were starting to think the worst. Hope you’re improving. 🙂

• 41 Bambams // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Great to hear from you fella. Speedy recovery

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Ahhh, I see. Given the context of the response to Cyprus, I think it would have been clear what I meant, but I missed out a word now I look back. It should read;

‘I think Ed is taking into account the Jan window where we got rid of Cabaye as well.’

• 43 Bambams // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Did that really happen to Blatter?

Just seen it….

• 44 overtheline // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Lots of stuff today about being negative, cautious, Band B’s knickers have not yet taken up aeronuatics, well how about being cautiously optimistic. We’re signing players of quality. Al;ll; we need now is to sign enough of them… and then some to cover injuries etc., I’d still like another three £10m+ rated – def a second CB, a two footed winger/ wideman – and a Tiote upgrade.
    Up until then I’m a COBNUT
    Cautiously Optimistic But Not Unduly Trusting

• 45 NotAGhostToon // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Again definitely see the point OP and you seem very balanced. I would see this as slightly different to the girlfriend situation or rather if her cheating on me lead to me dating a supermodel I’d be less concerned with the past. Appreciate at the moment the model is just glancing at us across the room right now….

• 46 carl // Jul 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Journalists I know are a mixed bunch but one of them covering Chelsea told me that we could be taking Nathan Ake on loan. I know he’s Dutch and a versatile left back. It seems he can play CB and as a defensive midfielder. With Chelsea stepping up their pursuit of Stones he sees little opportunities in what is his preferred position of CB. I think I saw him play against our youth cup side at SJP a few years ago and he is a powerful , quick type. Not hard to improve our defence .

• 47 sing in the corner // Jul 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM

There seem to be some posts surfacing describing irritation at ‘I told you so’ type attitudes. Now I can’t claim to read every post and I scan read as well sometimes…but i can’t say I’ve read anyone saying I told you so or anything approaching that… Paranoia reigns perhaps?

• 48 BoyDoneGood // Jul 20, 2015 at 7:06 PM

[Reposted from over 4 months ago.]

March 18, 2015

I’ll probably just crow unbearably when Ashley unveils a new coach and some squad reconstruction in June, while the AvC’s and Firebugs will pretend their stayaway tactics made it happen (though they denied it would ever happen).

previous post: Newcastle Player Who Cost £220K Is Going Nowhere